Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   Shake your money-maker (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/697757-shake-your-money-maker.html)

ChristineCQ 11-07-2010 05:29 AM

Shake your money-maker

Journaling: A way to keep myself on track, to reflect for my own purposes without anyone feeling the need to respond, to keep a record of my progress.

Question is, will I actually follow through with updating it. Time will tell.

I'm adding the journal to my plan because I like to mix things up a bit. For the record, the progress thus far is as follows:

July 26, 2010: Starting weight of 234 (according to my old scale, which runs a bit lower than my current scale. I bet I was closer to 237)

Today, November 7, 2010: 195.4

Goal: Initially 170. I'll reassess at that time.

The plan: Low-carb, with meals that look like this:

B: Mocha protein shake
L: Salad, meat, egg, cheese
D: Salad, meat

I'm not a big snacker, so I don't factor them into the plan. But if I come home from work starving, I'll eat some turkey, cheese, and bacon with pepper and mayo. I don't rely on sugar substitutes (LC cookies and the like) because I feel like I need to make a clean break from sweet stuff. That's a personal choice and I begrudge no one who chooses otherwise.

Exercise: I no longer believe that exercise contributes to significant weight loss. I've always been an exerciser, even at my highest weight, and that alone is not enough to lose weight (for me). 80% is nutrition. I think exercise has kept me healthy in terms of cardiovascular health, bone density, and immunity, but I don't believe it's a significant factor in weight loss for me. That said, I do exercise often: 3 days/week swimming, 2-3 days/week zumba, 2-3 days/week weights. Sometimes I run. Mostly I don't.

I have had great success in the past four months, and I intend to keep it up. This journal is a way for me to track my progress and my thoughts about the journey. I process things intellectually way before I ever process them emotionally, and I need an outlet for those ruminations. So this is my space for that. :cool:

ChristineCQ 11-08-2010 05:41 AM

I had a whole entry typed at 5:30am and then lost it.:down: How annoying!

Scale reads 194.6 today, and I'm claiming it. That's officially 40 lbs in 15 weeks, for an average loss of 2.66 lbs/week. I think that's pretty good progress.

Today I am wearing boots that I've never been able to zip up. They zip up comfortably now. I am also wearing a dress that I'll need to donate after today. DH told me I looked a bit like a vagabond, and I'm sure he's right. I just didn't have the time or patience this morning to deal with finding something else to wear. :laugh:

I had originally planned to be 180 at xmas, but I don't think that will happen. My body will slow down to catch up at some point, and I expect that it'll be soon. I will be happy to be 180-SOMETHING by the end of the year. That's a great place to begin 2011!

I have my annual appointment tomorrow, and I expect that my doc is going to be quite surprised by this progress. Last year she was asking if I had spoken with my PCP about a thyroid problem given my weight. I told her it wasn't a thyroid problem; it was a hyper-active eating problem! I do wish I had blood work from last year, though, as I would be interested in seeing the changes between then and now. :D

ChristineCQ 11-09-2010 04:05 AM

194 today.

I'm a daily weigher, and I am not ashamed of that.:rofl: I do it not to be obsessive but because I like tracking trends. Data are meaningful to me, and I love to see a nice longitudinal pattern. I have an Excel spreadsheet onto which I enter my daily weight, and once in awhile I update the graph to note the trends. It's fascinating, really, and also very motivating. I also like that I can make immediate changes if I need to. If I change something in my eating habits and see my weight go up, I know I can make some adjustments right away. I think one of the reasons I eat on a fairly steady pattern is that I see the results nearly every day (in a good way!). Almost every day I see .4 loss, which simply astounds me (and also makes me so happy I bought my digital scale! I love nuance :)).

Today, at 194, I think I can say that if I had to live with this weight forever, I could. I don't want to do that as I believe I can strive toward a healthier weight, but I am not unhappy in this body. I carry this weight well, as I'm slightly above-average in height and I'm an hourglass, so the weight is evenly distributed. I'd never be able to wear a bikini (but who am I kidding? At my age, I wouldn't wear a bikini regardless of my weight and fitness level!), but I am comfortable.

However, because I am goal-driven, I have a clear picture in my head of what I want to be. I really would like to be into the "normal weight" range of the BMI (let's not even get into the fact that I do think the BMI is pure crap; I'm just using it as a marker), but I don't know that I ever will. 159 is the high end of "normal," and I'm not sure if I'll like being there. At 155 (11 years ago), I felt that I had lost parts of my physique that I liked having, if you know what I mean (and I think you do!). Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing what 170 looks like on me these days, and then I will reassess my progress.

The 180s are within striking distance. :kicking:

ChristineCQ 11-10-2010 06:45 PM

I am fortunate that right now my biggest problem is finding something to wear. I must put on four different outfits before I go to bed at night in my quest to figure out what to wear. Since I'm packing my bag for the pool tomorrow morning, I need to make sure everything looks ok before I go and learn that I look like MC Hammer in the locker room after swimming!!

I have a blazer, size 12, that actually fits right now! It's a bit snug in the button at the chest, but that'll ease up in a few weeks. I'm thrilled to wear anything in a 12!! It has been a long time.

Weight this morning was 194.4.....too much salt, yesterday, I think. But it's fine, really; I'm aiming for 189 by 12/1. We'll see! Managed to hit the gym today and was surprised at how light the 15 lb dumbbells felt; I actually checked them twice to make sure they weren't 12s! But then I had some exercises that required the 20s, and when I had one in each hand, I thought about how I had lost that much weight. 40 lbs doesn't really seem like a whole lot until you actually hold it in your hands. Then, it's astounding.

And probably another 40 to go!!

ChristineCQ 11-11-2010 03:37 AM

Hmmmm, 195 this morning. The benefit of daily weighing is that I can reflect on that: Was it something I did? Or just a natural adjustment?

I think it's because I had all of the following yesterday, which is unusual: Bacon, pepperoni, Diet soda.

I don't usually have any of those things each day, and I definitely don't have them all in one day! I expect that today will be better, and that water will disappear by tomorrow.

Let's talk about diet soda for a minute. I'm not a huge fan and never have been. I'm a water drinker, mostly, but sometimes I just love the IDEA of a diet soda, so I drink it. Couple that with the fact that the machine down the hall from my office now stocks Diet Dr. Pepper, which is my diet soda of choice, and there you have it. I think I need to do a better job of ignoring the thought of wanting a soda.

Off to the pool today and the gym later. Tomorrow, pool and zumba. Then some rest on the weekend; maybe some recreational sports or something with the little guy and DH. Speaking of DH, last night he told me he was "amazed" at my progress, and "not to sound corny, but also so proud.":love: That guy's a keeper. :p

ChristineCQ 11-12-2010 03:25 AM

Back to 194.6. More water is definitely needed! I've been very busy each day and haven't been attentive to fluid intake.

Hit the gym yesterday and after weight lifting, I spent some time on the dreadmill; ran for 40% of that time, which isn't a whole lot, but isn't terrible. I need to get some workout pants that fit, though, because I nearly ended up with pants on the ground. Today it's the pool and zumba. My workouts are going exceptionally well. I wasn't sure how yesterday would be because I woke up with some weird stomach thing, but I was fine by the time I got to the pool at 7:30. I don't know what that was about.

I saw someone who hadn't seen me since last year, and she was surprised to see how I'd changed. We were with other people (some who are overweight) and I really tried to downplay my weight loss because I didn't want anyone else to feel bad about themselves (not that they would; they might be comfortable with where they are, but I don't really like to talk abut weight unless I'm with people I know really well). I changed the subject quickly, but it made me realize how "public" a private issue can become. I never really comment on other people's bodies; I don't think it's appropriate. I might tell someone that I like her shirt or hair style or whatever, and if SHE mentions that she lost weight, then I will happily state how healthy she looks. But otherwise, if I see someone who has lost considerable weight, I just don't mention it. For all I know, it could be due to illness or stress and it's really not my business. Anyway, I'm not really comfortable talking about myself in that way with people I don't know well (writing about it on a public forum is clearly a different animal:hyst:), but it's amazing how weight loss brings one's private "business" into the public domain. :confused:

dogman 11-12-2010 06:25 AM

christine1973, I like your idea of having a journal to help you track your progress that you mention.
I also weigh myself every day regardless of what the experts say. I'm a type of cause and effect person.
Writing things down and having tangible records is a must IMO for achieving goals.
One book that's made a difference for me is "Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It" by Henriette Anne Klauser PhD. Simple tips that work for me.
Amazon.com: Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You...Amazon.com: Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You...

ChristineCQ 11-12-2010 06:47 PM

Thanks! I really enjoy charting progress and using measurable goals; it's great to look back and see how far I've come. Thank you for the excellent resource as well!

ChristineCQ 11-13-2010 05:56 AM

Back down to 194. I think it was a week of adjustment around here; weeks of good loss, and then some time to stabilize. Although my goal was to be in the 180s by xmas, I had it in my head that I wanted to be 189 on 12/1. That leaves me 17 days to lose 5 lbs. No impossible, but not likely, either. If I had posted a stronger loss this week, I'd say it would be possible, but given this week's events, I'm doubtful. But as long as the scale keeps heading in the right direction, I'm good.

Thanksgiving is coming; I can't believe how close it is. I know this holiday can be a weight-loss nightmare, but for me, it's perfect. I love turkey, so I'll be piling that on my plate, as well as the LC sides that I'll make: something with cauliflower, no doubt, and something with broccoli. Everything else will be standard fare for the family: potatoes, corn, stuffing, gravy. Not stuff I really eat, anyway. I'm making an apple pie and my dad's wife will likely make pumpkin. I'm not bothering with any LC desserts because I'd be the only one eating them, and I'm not much into desserts these days, anyway. I'd rather just skip it and have a cup of tea.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to having a few days off. I have been really amped up with week: Up to my neck in work on all fronts (real job + business), and the climate at my real job is not great right now. Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm the person in whom people from all parts of the organization tend to confide, and by the end of the day yesterday, I felt completely filled with the burden of other people's angst and misery. It was not a fun place to be, and I wonder if stress is affecting my weight loss efforts right now. I don't mean in terms of eating; I'm thinking about the hormonal influences. I'm hoping that a relaxing weekend with friends and family will help alleviate some of that.

I'm taking a fitness break this weekend. I've had some tough workouts lately, and I'm feeling it. My inner thighs have been killing me for two days thanks to 95lb adduction exercises, and I can feel a little soreness in the tendons near my elbow. I had two days of swimming this week, two days of zumba, and three days of lifting. I think it's time for two days of rest. Back to swimming and the gym on Monday!

ChristineCQ 11-14-2010 08:00 AM

194.6. Wha-what? It's ok, though. I look good, I feel good, and the scale can suck it hard. :hyst:

Bought a size 12 Gap dress yesterday. Not something I can wear outside the house yet, but I'm getting there! Maybe by xmas, maybe not. Either way, one day I'll be rocking it.

Hit the gym this morning, mostly because I needed to get my clothing out of my locker to wash for this week. I'm glad I went though, even if this was supposed to be a rest weekend. I get a little antsy if I don't work out for a day or two, so today was a good choice.

A little tip: If you hate doing the ab series (and everyone should be doing abs for core strength), do it first in your workout. You'll be less likely to skip it. I started doing my abs first because at the end of the workout, I was so shaky due to heavy weights that I couldn't really contract well. Now, doing them at the beginning of the workout means that I can feel them engaged during the rest of the workout since they're warmed up, and I'm also less likely to skip them. I do the Callanetics stomach series, and I'm up to 200 reps. I find that I can now do the butt series without supporting myself, just as Callan said: "Once you get stronger, you won't need to support yourself." I didn't believe it then, but clearly it's true.

This week's workouts include the following:

M: Pool and gym
T: Rest
W: Gym
R: Pool and gym
F: Zumba and pool
S: Zumba

ChristineCQ 11-15-2010 03:36 AM

195.5 today. I admit that I uttered a "what the eff???" while on the scale, but it's all about perspective. I reminded myself of that fact by taking my measurements and comparing them with those of four months ago:

Bust: 44.5 then, 40.5 now
Waist: 41 then, 35 now
Hips: 50 then, 44 now
Bicep: 18 then, 15 now
Upper thigh: 32 then, 28 now
Lower thigh: 24 then, 19.5 now
Calf: 18 then, 16 now

For a total of, what? Nearly 30 inches? That's no small progress, right there.

Princessdmw33 11-15-2010 08:59 AM

Stopping in to say :hiya:!!!

30 inches!!!! Way to go girl!

ChristineCQ 11-15-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 (Post 14087386)
Stopping in to say :hiya:!!!

30 inches!!!! Way to go girl!

Hiya, Dawn, and thanks!!! :heart:

ChristineCQ 11-16-2010 04:38 AM

194.2 today

What is the commonly-held belief/experience of those who lose significant weight? Once you get to 20% loss, your loss slows? I wonder if that's what's happening for me. Nothing else has changed, and when I started this journal, I was losing .4/day. I can see how people might get frustrated by that! Doing the right things day in, day out, and seeing no real change on the scale.

But the other benefits of LC are way too important, so I'm definitely never throwing in the towel on this one.

One thing I have noticed is that I now crave red meat. I haven't eaten red meat in nearly 20 years, but suddenly I really want it. So I've been slowly adding it back to my diet. In fact, over the weekend, I ate an amazing salad that included flank steak. I have two filet mignons chilling in the refrigerator to make for DH and me tonight. I think the increased weight lifting plus LC has turned my body into a meat-craving machine. That's ok; it'll help my loss, I hope!

dogman 11-16-2010 06:21 AM

christine1973, maybe you might try to monitor your body fat percentage instead of gauging things by the scale. In the last couple of months my weight has hardly changed but my body fat percent has dropped down. What that's tell me is I'm more fit. To make a point, I wouldn't care if I were 20 pounds heavier but lower in body fat lower.
Weighing yourself and not knowing your BFP nearly useless IMO. There's a term I came across a while back called "skinny fat". Skinny people with high amounts of body fat. Okay, I'm belaboring the point but I think it's worth considering.

ChristineCQ 11-16-2010 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogman (Post 14089784)
christine1973, maybe you might try to monitor your body fat percentage instead of gauging things by the scale. In the last couple of months my weight has hardly changed but my body fat percent has dropped down. What that's tell me is I'm more fit. To make a point, I wouldn't care if I were 20 pounds heavier but lower in body fat lower.
Weighing yourself and not knowing your BFP nearly useless IMO. There's a term I came across a while back called "skinny fat". Skinny people with high amounts of body fat. Okay, I'm belaboring the point but I think it's worth considering.

I'm sure you're right! How do you measure your BFP? There is a scale in the fitness center here at work that does it, I think! Do you do it at home?

dogman 11-16-2010 10:48 AM

I use a "body fat" meter at the gym I go to. I also use an inexpensive "body fat" caliper(see Amazon for examples) at home. Like almost everything in life these gadgets as subject to variables. That's even true when you weigh yourself in the morning of OMG at night. When you have more information available you can get a better idea of what's really happening as in my case my weigh stayed the same but my BF% decreased. If you have one at work, you should use it.
Then when all is said and done you could probably drive yourself batty with all those numbers. :confused:But it sure is fun isn't it?:)

PS while we're at we might as well throw the BMI Body Mass Index stuff out the window along with your weigh scale...:rofl:

ChristineCQ 11-17-2010 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogman (Post 14090681)
I use a "body fat" meter at the gym I go to. I also use an inexpensive "body fat" caliper(see Amazon for examples) at home. Like almost everything in life these gadgets as subject to variables. That's even true when you weigh yourself in the morning of OMG at night. When you have more information available you can get a better idea of what's really happening as in my case my weigh stayed the same but my BF% decreased. If you have one at work, you should use it.
Then when all is said and done you could probably drive yourself batty with all those numbers. :confused:But it sure is fun isn't it?:)

PS while we're at we might as well throw the BMI Body Mass Index stuff out the window along with your weigh scale...:rofl:

Thanks for the info! I do appreciate it and will look into it!! I like seeing multiple measures of progress and sorting out all of the variables!

ChristineCQ 11-17-2010 04:47 AM

194.2.................again.:hyst:

Will I ever break through the 194 mark? :rofl:

I have two things on my mind this morning. One is that I bought a dress for a wedding last night that is completely unlike anything I've worn before. It's a very flattering dress, and I do like it, but I really need to get my head around the idea that I CAN wear it without being self-conscious. I guess it's a mental thing. I wonder how long the brain takes to catch up with the body. I look in the mirror and see myself in a certain way.....the old way. DH looks at me and says, no.....you look nothing like you did three months ago. :dunno: One of the things I've always hated about the process of losing weight is that I feel like it makes me hyper-attentive to my appearance, and I'm not like that by nature. I don't have that normal streak of vanity, but when I'm trying to lose weight, I feel like I turn into this mirror monster: hyper-critical of my appearance, always checking to see how I look, etc. etc. etc. It's not a comfortable space for me. I really hope that when I reach a lower weight, I will be back to my usual self and not sweat how I look! :aprayer:

The other thing I'm thinking about is my transition back to eating red meat. It has been much easier than I anticipated! :o I wonder if my body was trying to tell me something. More iron? More protein? I don't know. Whatever the case, I can probably manage to eat it 1-2x/week.

dogman 11-17-2010 05:25 AM

Your WOE is DANDR, what does that stand for? Are you checking you blood glucose daily and levels after meals? Oh Okay I just found out what DANDR means.:doh:

ChristineCQ 11-18-2010 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogman (Post 14092532)
Your WOE is DANDR, what does that stand for? Are you checking you blood glucose daily and levels after meals? Oh Okay I just found out what DANDR means.:doh:

I am not. Do you do that?

ChristineCQ 11-18-2010 03:35 AM

The answer to yesterday's question, then, is YES. For today, anyway!

Off to the pool shortly. As the season wears on, it becomes more difficult to sustain a pool regimen. It's just not appealing to get into a pool when it's cold outside! But I will persevere until I find a suitable winter replacement.

I can't even remember what I ate yesterday, that's how memorable it was. Let me think.

B: Protein shake (of course)
S: hard-boiled egg, small bit of cheese
L: Oh, I remember. Mashed cauliflower
D: Ribs with dry-rub, cauliflower

Ah, yes. It's all coming back to me.

dogman 11-18-2010 05:14 AM

I was checking my BG several times a day when I first began LC in April 2010. I wasn't diabetic a least not officially but had very high triglycerides and very low HDL for a long time even when taking prescription cholesterol meds assortment .Back then, I was eating very "healthy" and never thought carbohydrates were the cause of the problem.
To make a long story short I discovered Dr. Bernstein and related info and applied it. I had trigs as high as 700+ now, at last check my trigs were an unbelievable 75 and HDL 53 and that's without taking any meds or supplements for cholesterol.
From what you say you've eaten, your carb consumption without doubt is low. Sometimes though, without you being aware of it there could be stealth sugars in things like that protein shake.

ChristineCQ 11-19-2010 03:16 AM

Sometimes that's just how it goes. Up, down, up, down, up, down, down, down. I'll take it.

I read an interesting article last night from a guy who suggests that -- from an evolutionary standpoint -- we aren't built for cardio exercise and should instead employ slow-burner exercises plus weightlifting. While he didn't cite any actual empirical evidence, I can see why that would be the case. We are built for long days of hunting and foraging and moving heavy things. It's only the advances in technology and industry that have allowed us to move away from that lifestyle, so we pack 12 hours worth of activity into one, and it might not be as healthy as people think: Increased cortisol levels, leading to increased inflammation, and if you've read anything by Andrew Weil, you know that inflammation is a dangerous thing for the body (hence one of the reasons LC is health-promoting; it reduces and practically prevents inflammation, unlike a carb-ridden diet, which causes inflammation).

Anyway, I'm not giving up Zumba just yet. I do it only 2 or 3 times/week, and the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. I get my slow burner through swimming, and I regularly lift heavy stuff (yesterday, I set the 15 lb. dumbbell back on the rack....with my pinky underneath. Owwww). Perhaps the key is variety, from a health perspective, and maintaining one's interest, from a sustainability perspective. Right now I'm not bored with this routine, so I'm sticking with it. Maybe I could add more slow burners on the weekend, as the original author suggested (hiking, for example).

dogman 11-19-2010 05:45 AM

Wow, my thoughts exactly when you say "we aren't built for cardio exercise and should instead employ slow-burner exercises plus weightlifting." That's what I do. Sure I walk daily too by the real exercise for me is anaerobic . Only after this do I "cool down" and bring my heart rate down by taking a least ten minutes to do that.
I also don't depend on going to the gym every day. I do a good amount of weight training exercises at home with simple items. Push-ups with varying degrees of difficulty.
Try using a basket ball to support you hands while doing push-ups for starters. Chin-up varieties using a steel gas pipe supported with strap webbing. Very primitive things that for me really get results. And that just the tip of the iceberg at home exercise you can do.
If you don't mind please pass on the info about the article you read and where to find it. I like gathering new ideas that might add to my exercise program.

wellonmyway 11-19-2010 07:38 AM

Christine, it appears we have almost identical stats!...LOL. You seem to be in a pretty good headspace. I am having a HUGE struggle with the mental side of the weightloss slow-down. So, I'm going to stalk your journal and keep up with how you are doing...hehehe.

BTW, impressive progress so far! Keep it going.

ChristineCQ 11-19-2010 01:40 PM

[quote=dogman;14099121]Wow, my thoughts exactly when you say "we aren't built for cardio exercise and should instead employ slow-burner exercises plus weightlifting." That's what I do. Sure I walk daily too by the real exercise for me is anaerobic . Only after this do I "cool down" and bring my heart rate down by taking a least ten minutes to do that.
I also don't depend on going to the gym every day. I do a good amount of weight training exercises at home with simple items. Push-ups with varying degrees of difficulty.
Try using a basket ball to support you hands while doing push-ups for starters. Chin-up varieties using a steel gas pipe supported with strap webbing. Very primitive things that for me really get results. And that just the tip of the iceberg at home exercise you can do.
If you don't mind please pass on the info about the article you read and where to find it. I like gathering new ideas that might add to my exercise program.[/QUOTE

Your approach seems great!! Here is an article by the same guy that includes some research:

More Chronic Cardio Talk | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellonmyway (Post 14099528)
Christine, it appears we have almost identical stats!...LOL. You seem to be in a pretty good headspace. I am having a HUGE struggle with the mental side of the weightloss slow-down. So, I'm going to stalk your journal and keep up with how you are doing...hehehe.

BTW, impressive progress so far! Keep it going.

Thanks! I agree that this is largely a head game. Are you finding that a lack of progress on the scale gives you the "why bother" feeling, or are you having other types of challenges?

wellonmyway 11-19-2010 05:11 PM

Sometimes, I do think "why bother". Logically, I know why. Emotionally, not so much...lol. I keep saying that I'm going to quit weighing, but that never happens. There's a whole lot of emotional baggage that I can't seem to unload with this.

ChristineCQ 11-20-2010 03:52 AM

Not sure that will stick; perhaps I owe it to the diuretic effects of a glass of red wine last night. :hyst: I haven't had anything to drink in the past four months. We were out last night at a very crowded bar with a live band, so I ordered the wine as a way to justify my seat at the bar. I had planned to take only a few sips, but as it turned out, the evening took a turn toward the dramatic, with the couple in our company viciously fighting in our presence. :eek: DH and I each just turned toward our drinks.......what else to do to divert one's attention in such an awkward situation? :confused: And given that they were seated between DH and me, we had not many alternatives except to pointedly focus on the nuances of our beverages. :rofl: Awkward.

Anyway, I ended up unable to swim yesterday since I arrived at the pool and realized I had forgotten my towel. :doh: So I went to lift instead and then did Zumba. Zumba this morning as well, and then a day off tomorrow. I've been having some problems with a tendon near my heel, so I need to start working on that (ice massage, stretch, rolling it over a ball) before it gets any worse. The odd thing is that it didn't bother me at all when I was 40 lbs heavier, and this is the type of injury that probably should have. :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellonmyway (Post 14101058)
Sometimes, I do think "why bother". Logically, I know why. Emotionally, not so much...lol. I keep saying that I'm going to quit weighing, but that never happens. There's a whole lot of emotional baggage that I can't seem to unload with this.

Well, you see that I'm a daily weigher, and I included my rationale for that somewhere above. You can certainly continue to weigh yourself if you can figure out how to break whatever emotional attachment you have to that number. For whatever reason, I am objective about my weight: Whatever it is, it is. It's not a reflection of how "good" or "bad" I've been, it simply is. You might consider making that number more useful to you by charting it; put it in a daily spreadsheet and watch for trends. That way, you're treating it more like a science experiment (objectivity!) than a subjective analysis of your progress. Does that make sense? I know it's difficult though, particularly given the complex relationship we have with weight. :heart:

Princessdmw33 11-20-2010 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christine1973 (Post 14101598)

Not sure that will stick; perhaps I owe it to the diuretic effects of a glass of red wine last night. :hyst: I haven't had anything to drink in the past four months. We were out last night at a very crowded bar with a live band, so I ordered the wine as a way to justify my seat at the bar. I had planned to take only a few sips, but as it turned out, the evening took a turn toward the dramatic, with the couple in our company viciously fighting in our presence. :eek: DH and I each just turned toward our drinks.......what else to do to divert one's attention in such an awkward situation? :confused: And given that they were seated between DH and me, we had not many alternatives except to pointedly focus on the nuances of our beverages. :rofl: Awkward.

Anyway, I ended up unable to swim yesterday since I arrived at the pool and realized I had forgotten my towel. :doh: So I went to lift instead and then did Zumba. Zumba this morning as well, and then a day off tomorrow. I've been having some problems with a tendon near my heel, so I need to start working on that (ice massage, stretch, rolling it over a ball) before it gets any worse. The odd thing is that it didn't bother me at all when I was 40 lbs heavier, and this is the type of injury that probably should have. :confused:

Well, you see that I'm a daily weigher, and I included my rationale for that somewhere above. You can certainly continue to weigh yourself if you can figure out how to break whatever emotional attachment you have to that number. For whatever reason, I am objective about my weight: Whatever it is, it is. It's not a reflection of how "good" or "bad" I've been, it simply is. You might consider making that number more useful to you by charting it; put it in a daily spreadsheet and watch for trends. That way, you're treating it more like a science experiment (objectivity!) than a subjective analysis of your progress. Does that make sense? I know it's difficult though, particularly given the complex relationship we have with weight. :heart:

Christine :clap: on the weight loss again! I am so jealous of you. Red wine once in a while is not bad at all. I believe for most what happens with the alcohol is that it can send them on the munchies. I had three diet pepsi and jack's yesterday at lunch (yes you read that right). My boss took me and a couple board members took me out for lunch as a belated birthday. I usually cannot drink anymore than a glass of wine anymore because I end up loopy. Even drinking wine anymore sends me into a headache the next morning. It was fun to be able to do that but it sent me home at 3p.m. tired. I am sure for me there is no diuretic loss on the scale. lol

What part of your foot is hurting? Is it the tendon right near your heal or it is the tendon that goes down along the side of your heel into your inner ankle area that extends to your arch? If it is that one, I have some advise for you because that is the one that I messed up doing to Couch25k plan and it took over 2 1/2 years to heal. Not fun.