Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)

I'm reading two fascinating books (I always read more than one book at a time. Why? I do not know. But I just cleaned out the book basket next to my bed, and I had sixteen books in there. What is wrong with me?). One is Taubes' new book, "Why we get Fat," and the other is Greg Graffin's "Anarchy Evolution" (lead singer of Bad Religion, professor of Evolution). Reading both of these books has clarified my thoughts about something that has always bothered me about being fat in America.

[Disclaimer: Whenever the subject of religion comes up and I'm pressed to give an answer about my beliefs, I tell people I'm a secular humanist. That's easier for them to digest than "atheist," because while they don't really understand either term, at least they have no emotional response to "secular humanist." People assume that atheists have no knowledge of religion or worship the devil. Wrong, and wrong.]

Taubes says it specifically, even though he doesn't really discuss religion in his book: If you're fat, it's because you're either gluttonous or slothful. Therefore, you are not deserving of respect in this culture because if you have "sinned" in this way, then you deserve whatever punishment comes with that choice.

Bingo! I always believed that fat people were demonized due to their obvious departure from what is "normal" and "accepted," but it makes sense to examine their demonization in terms of a religious context. Like it or not (I don't), this country is ruled by religion, which means that our assignment of "good" and "bad" is often based on traditional religious notions, the ideology ingrained in us from birth (even those who don't come from a particularly religious background).

Make bad choices -- sin -- by eating too much or exercising too little, and you are not worthy. That thinking is doubly illogical if we subscribe to Taubes' assertion that lack of exercise and/or too much food is NOT what makes people fat; it's the quality of the food that has impact.

That thesis can lead me to a whole other discussion about the demonization of the poor as well, but that's a little much for a Saturday morning.

But back to the news of the day: 182.8!! Hit the gym yesterday and actually did some running on the dreadmill, and I did NOT feel my butt bouncing behind me for a change! That is progress!

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 07:13 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
"If you're fat, it's because you're either gluttonous or slothful. Therefore, you are not deserving of respect in this culture because if you have "sinned" in this way, then you deserve whatever punishment comes with that choice."

It's sad that not only is this true in our world so that fat is "punished" culturally...but many overweight people believe it about themselves...unworthy and undeserving of respect...
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Agreed on both of your points!

P.s.- while this isn't a debate over religion I was raised a catholic/christian. Anyhow I never ever in my wildest dream would look at people that are not what our cultural considers "normal" and thought that they have sinned. It is funny, it never even crossed my mind until now. lol

Last edited by Princessdmw33; 01-08-2011 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: oops didn't finish.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Had a good, hard workout yesterday. It was short, but usually the shorter workouts mean heavier weights, and yesterday was no exception. Did a little more running, just short bursts, which always make me feel good. I like to walk out of the gym feeling some slow burn in my quads, glutes, and lungs. It always reminds me what my body was meant to do: Move.

Hoping to hit Zumba tonight, but 7pm on a Sunday? Not sure about that one. I tend to be winding down by that time, but we'll see. I did hit the 7pm class last Wednesday, and that was ok.

Off to breakfast with the fam! Eggs and bacon, can't wait!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 AM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whenever I wake up thirsty, I know I'm in trouble on the scale! I need to work on water consumption today!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had to throw away some Cordial Cherry M&Ms that made their way into our junk drawer at home. Did I seriously eat some of that crap??? Yes, yes I did. I'm in a weird space right now....I feel like I need to test some "real life" living. But I'm going to stop that nonsense. I'm not at goal yet, so I don't need to mess around with what I know works.

Back on track tomorrow, for sure. Zumbatime!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

uh huh...i know about the weird place...up 5 pounds. so, weird place, struggling for motivation/looking for real, happens after "goal" too.

excellent job in chucking those candies!!!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
uh huh...i know about the weird place...up 5 pounds. so, weird place, struggling for motivation/looking for real, happens after "goal" too.

excellent job in chucking those candies!!!!!
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear you're there, too! Let's hope we can pull ourselves out of it. I'm trying to focus on a few things that I think might help me:

1. Visiting this forum each day to read the posts for motivation. I've been coming to visit my "usual" spots, but I found that reading random posts was very motivating in the past. I need to get back to doing that.

2. Setting higher goals. I tried to be realistic and say that by June I want to lose another 30, but I think I need to be more aggressive. If I aim for 10 lbs/month, I am more likely to keep myself on track.

3. Not giving in to the attitude that I can afford it. I can't! I'm still a fat girl, and I need to not act otherwise.

Here's hoping!

Last edited by ChristineCQ; 01-10-2011 at 05:49 PM..
Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Your #3 is kickin my tush right now.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
I had to throw away some Cordial Cherry M&Ms that made their way into our junk drawer at home. Did I seriously eat some of that crap??? Yes, yes I did. I'm in a weird space right now....I feel like I need to test some "real life" living. But I'm going to stop that nonsense. I'm not at goal yet, so I don't need to mess around with what I know works.

Back on track tomorrow, for sure. Zumbatime!
When you reach goal, you may want to possibly consider maybe sorta thinking about trying JUDDD on for size for maintenance....? Now I feel like I'm pushing my current religion, but it may offer you a way to eat "normally" on occasion with out the threat of rebound weight. In regard to fat sinners, I think that most people will look at a seriously overweight person and blame them for their predicament. It's ugly but I think it's true. For those of us who've struggled, we may feel pity, but we'll never commiserate. That's not me! Right? More likely "There, but for the grace of God, go I". I read Taubes first book Good Calories Bad Calories and I liked it.

No offense was meant in the writing of this previous paragraph. Apologizing in advance, just in case....
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

In my rush to get out the door, I forgot to post this morning. Blonde, thanks for the information about JUDDD. I might consider that once I reach goal. I almost do it naturally now, I think; some days are much lower calorie days (today, for example: 2 eggs, 2 slices of provolone, and about three bites of chicken breast so far). Tonight I'll have some flank steak and salad. I know that's all over 500 calories, but I bet I could actually NOT eat tonight and be fine.

I went to the JUDDD website and it asks for your stats. Would you believe that I typed in 234 as my weight? Further proof that the brain takes awhile to catch up with the body!

Hit Zumba today, which was great. A lot of people recognize me, notice my weight loss, and stop to chat about nutrition and weight loss, which I think is cool. I feel like my preferred topic of conversation these days is nutrition and fitness. I'm trying to branch out, though.

I'm also trying to cultivate new friendships. As I mentioned previously, all of our "couple friends" are problematic, so there's really no one I want to hang out with. My BFF lives several states away. But I'm trying to work on building new relationships. We're heading out this weekend with a couple I know, so that should be good, and I'm setting something up for later this month with some people who are "getting to know each other" (I introduced them. I hope they get married. Is it too early to hope for that? ). So January is the month that I focus on renewing my commitment to weight loss in a meaningful way and building relationships. I have GOT to break into the 170s! My spreadsheet is a nightmare right now.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Seriously, now. WRONG WAY, SCALE!

It's ok; I'm making some adjustments. Had a nice cardio workout this morning: SHOVELING! But really, shoveling makes me appreciate that I'm in good cardio health and have good muscle strength! It was actually a breeze this morning, and I'll take 30 minutes of cardio to start my day.

Lately I've been noticing some really obnoxious changes in my body. My legs, which used to be fairly firm to the touch, are very squishy now. It's really unpleasant. Does that mean that my fat cells are giving up and releasing what they're hoarding? I don't know, but it is not attractive in the least. Does anyone else ever experience this??

Last edited by ChristineCQ; 01-12-2011 at 06:41 AM..
Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

It's ok; I'm making some adjustments. Had a nice cardio workout this morning: SHOVELING! But really, shoveling makes me appreciate that I'm in good cardio health and have good muscle strength! It was actually a breeze this morning, and I'll take 30 minutes of cardio to start my day.

Lately I've been noticing some really obnoxious changes in my body. My legs, which used to be fairly firm to the touch, are very squishy now. It's really unpleasant. Does that mean that my fat cells are giving up and releasing what they're hording? I don't know, but it is not attractive in the least. Does anyone else ever experience this??
I think you are experiencing what I did where my weight just kept fluctuating all over the place and then would stabilize for many months and then release.. Hopefully you will not do what I do because it takes me 6 pounds to lose anything.

Anyhow, I am also experiencing the same thing with my legs. I have been noticing that and was looking at them today. Kind of disgusting. They are lumpy now where they weren't before.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 View Post
I think you are experiencing what I did where my weight just kept fluctuating all over the place and then would stabilize for many months and then release.. Hopefully you will not do what I do because it takes me 6 pounds to lose anything.

Anyhow, I am also experiencing the same thing with my legs. I have been noticing that and was looking at them today. Kind of disgusting. They are lumpy now where they weren't before.
Ugh, sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same thing! I hope this problem passes before summer!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ugh, sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same thing! I hope this problem passes before summer!
Fortunately no one ever sees my upper legs in the summer because I don't wear shorts. That does not mean I don't want them to change. Maybe once I get back into the 30 Day Shred it will finally move.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

you both need to get ready for a visit from the whoosh fairy that's MY prediction
Old 01-13-2011, 03:56 AM   #227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, Jan. You are always right!!

Made some adjustments this week that I think will help me move in the right direction. I knew I was on the wrong track when I really started craving EGGS. Who craves eggs? Look at this menu from yesterday, a completely unintentional homage to the incredible, edible egg:

B: 2 eggs, 2 slices provolone, 2 slices bacon
L: HB egg
S: HB egg
D: HB egg

Seriously. Who eats like that? But I hit the gym and didn't want anything heavy before/after that (hence L and S), and then I made a last-minute decision to go to Zumba and didn't want anything heavy before THAT, so I made DS something else for dinner, and DH was on his own anyway since he was coming home late. I started craving eggs early this week, which I think probably means that my protein balance was off. Therefore, I should remember that higher protein = steady loss. At least for me!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:05 AM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 AM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

alright!!!

now give the fairy my address
Old 01-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope the fairy is on her way to you, Jan! Thanks for the egg carnage, Dawn! Hilarious! I'm still tearing up some eggs; 2 for breakfast yesterday, 2 for lunch, 2 for breakfast today! None for lunch today, though, as I'm packing some leftover chili.

My original "mental goal" for January was to be 175 by the end, but that's just not looking good at this point. I then wanted to be 170 by my birthday (mid-February), and that isn't looking good either. But really, if I can begin February at 17X, I will be happy. Anything in the 170s will suit me just fine!! I feel back on track and focused.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Lately I've been noticing some really obnoxious changes in my body. My legs, which used to be fairly firm to the touch, are very squishy now. It's really unpleasant. Does that mean that my fat cells are giving up and releasing what they're hoarding? I don't know, but it is not attractive in the least. Does anyone else ever experience this??
Ugh. I can so relate. My DH remarked the other day that he can detect a "general loosening" of me...like the fat is leaving. So what does that mean? Jello with no gel? Not a pretty thought, but the alternative is to be packed in casing like sausage. I'm older and I feel that I won't snap back like you young chickies will...but better jello than lard, right? Right?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

182.4....again

But I expect to see some dropping soon. I'm going to say it out loud: By next weekend, I will hit 179.....at least once!!!

Mission for today: Finish thousands of loads of laundry, update some documents, hit the farmers market (again) because I forgot to pick up more bacon and need more eggs. I did pick up celery root on Thursday, and it was delicious! I need to get a deep fryer. Do you have one? Do you like it? I really want to make my own wings; we love wings, and I can deep fry other LC things as well: Celery root, for one, plus radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, hot dogs, etc.

I need to go check the status of my baking bacon because I am hungry!!

Last edited by ChristineCQ; 01-15-2011 at 05:29 AM..
Old 01-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

False low, I bet. The scale was flickering between this and 181.4, so I expect to see 181.4 a few times this week before it drops for good. 170s, here I come!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Woohoo
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

TRUE low! you are doing everything right!

you ARE going to SAIL through the 170s because of your struggles with the 180s. really! i found it works that way sometimes.

i just found Worst Cooks in America on hulu. it's hilarious!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, ladies! Jan, I hope you're right. And now I'm going to go look up Worst Cooks!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
182.4....again

But I expect to see some dropping soon. I'm going to say it out loud: By next weekend, I will hit 179.....at least once!!!

Mission for today: Finish thousands of loads of laundry, update some documents, hit the farmers market (again) because I forgot to pick up more bacon and need more eggs. I did pick up celery root on Thursday, and it was delicious! I need to get a deep fryer. Do you have one? Do you like it? I really want to make my own wings; we love wings, and I can deep fry other LC things as well: Celery root, for one, plus radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, hot dogs, etc.

I need to go check the status of my baking bacon because I am hungry!!
Bakin bacon bakin bacon bakin bacon!!!!! Woohoo for the 170's! Here they come!!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
I've just finished catching up on your journal. You are doing so geat! Eggs are one thing I can almost promise you, I will not crave. DH eats them every single morning for breakfast, always has, even before this diet. I just eat my bacon and coffee with HWC and I'm fine. I do like them deviled though.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess it was a true low after all! The next ten pounds are going to make all the difference for me; this I know. It will take me from "fat girl" to "somewhat normal girl." I hope to hit 170 by 2/20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveH View Post
I've just finished catching up on your journal. You are doing so geat! Eggs are one thing I can almost promise you, I will not crave. DH eats them every single morning for breakfast, always has, even before this diet. I just eat my bacon and coffee with HWC and I'm fine. I do like them deviled though.
Eve, hi!!! Eggs are funny like that: I hear some people love them (me) and some people hate them! Do you eat them at all, ever??
Old 01-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

You are doing great! For the record, you are not a "fat girl" so stop calling yourself that! You look great.

I wish that I could get on that egg kick but I just cannot do it. I did try and was tired of them by day 2, although deviled eggs are good.