Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
188.7 today, maybe? I don't remember from this morning.

Yesterday's food intake:

B: Shake
L: Crustless quiche (spinach! 2 ramekins-worth), bacon
S: pepperoni, 2 squares Lindt 80%
D: Shake

Put up the tree with DS yesterday after hunting one down at the tree farm. Need more water today, that's for sure. I imagine that's a contributing factor to the bloatiness I feel today. But I was not about to drink up and then end up having to pee at the tree farm. NO THANKS.

Today everyone is working my last nerve, so I'm just looking to find my Zen space. We'll be baking roll-out cookies later (dough is chilling!), and I'm hoping that my Zen space will not include ingesting cookie dough!

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No cookies OR cookie dough for me, but it was not easy.

I have no pants. I'm heading out shortly to see if I can find some things to wear through the next few months. I'm living on one pair of jeans that fit, and two pairs of pants for work. Fortunately I can fill in with dresses and skirts for work (with some cardigans to mask the excess material!), but I am a pants girl through and through, and I really need to get some TODAY!!!

It's a good problem to have, but it's frustrating!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:51 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Which is GREAT to see on the scale this morning. I know I'll likely have a few days of up/down/up/down, but seeing it today means that I'll be seeing it again in the near future! YESSSSSSSS.

Getting closer to 180 is exciting to me because that was the goal I had in my mind on 7/26/10 for the end of the year. I will simply be happy to be on the other side of 185 on 12/31, but the closer to 180, the better!

I'm not a resolution-maker by nature; in fact, I've made only one in my entire life (which I keep to this day: FLOSS EVERY DAY. Seriously. That was my resolution, and I kept it!), but this year, I have decided to make one.

There are some people in my life who try my patience. I find them to be almost unbearable, to the point where DH and I avoid getting together with them socially (we like the spouses of these people very much, so we suck it up). In addition to expanding our circle of friends (which we really, really need to do. It's difficult to find like-minded people our age who have the time/resources to do the sorts of things we like to do. Since people are having children later in life these days, many of them are tied up with the obligations that accompany very small children), I have also decided that I need to have more "mental patience" with the people who test me (mental patience with the mental patients? ).

I need to not get exasperated by their behaviors or by the fact that they are absolutely batsh*t crazy sometimes (not in a dangerous, clinical way, but in ways that are well beyond what I'd tolerate in my own relationship!).

But it's hard, especially because I don't have DH to talk me down. He agrees with me and that tends to amplify my irritation toward the offenders; it's almost as if I could stand it if I knew I were the only one reacting to it. Then it's MY problem. But DH? Even-keeled, sweet-hearted, shirt-off-his-back DH is getting irritated?? Well, then we have a problem.

Anyway, I am thinking of this as a "self-improvement" regiment. If I can lose nearly fifty pounds to improve myself, then I can also extend "mental patience" in the name of self-improvement. Right? Right.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine1973 View Post

Which is GREAT to see on the scale this morning. I know I'll likely have a few days of up/down/up/down, but seeing it today means that I'll be seeing it again in the near future! YESSSSSSSS.

Getting closer to 180 is exciting to me because that was the goal I had in my mind on 7/26/10 for the end of the year. I will simply be happy to be on the other side of 185 on 12/31, but the closer to 180, the better!

I'm not a resolution-maker by nature; in fact, I've made only one in my entire life (which I keep to this day: FLOSS EVERY DAY. Seriously. That was my resolution, and I kept it!), but this year, I have decided to make one.

There are some people in my life who try my patience. I find them to be almost unbearable, to the point where DH and I avoid getting together with them socially (we like the spouses of these people very much, so we suck it up). In addition to expanding our circle of friends (which we really, really need to do. It's difficult to find like-minded people our age who have the time/resources to do the sorts of things we like to do. Since people are having children later in life these days, many of them are tied up with the obligations that accompany very small children), I have also decided that I need to have more "mental patience" with the people who test me (mental patience with the mental patients? ).

I need to not get exasperated by their behaviors or by the fact that they are absolutely batsh*t crazy sometimes (not in a dangerous, clinical way, but in ways that are well beyond what I'd tolerate in my own relationship!).

But it's hard, especially because I don't have DH to talk me down. He agrees with me and that tends to amplify my irritation toward the offenders; it's almost as if I could stand it if I knew I were the only one reacting to it. Then it's MY problem. But DH? Even-keeled, sweet-hearted, shirt-off-his-back DH is getting irritated?? Well, then we have a problem.

Anyway, I am thinking of this as a "self-improvement" regiment. If I can lose nearly fifty pounds to improve myself, then I can also extend "mental patience" in the name of self-improvement. Right? Right.
First congratulations!!!!!

Secondly you are so funny! I agree about the crazy people and I love your comment about mental patience with the mental patient! Your husband is like mine sweet, even-keeled, shirt-off-his-back kind of guy. When my DH tells me he doesn't like someone then I know there is an issue because he doesn't say that often. I can only think of one real person that he just cannot stand. Me, my patience with people is less than his and I am quicker to react. I do have to say though that I am pretty good at my judgment of people and I get those vibes. When I get those vibes I am usually pretty accurate, that is not to say that I don't give them a chance but there are times when there is something that I just can't put my finger on it.

Dawn

The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 AM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 View Post
First congratulations!!!!!

Secondly you are so funny! I agree about the crazy people and I love your comment about mental patience with the mental patient! Your husband is like mine sweet, even-keeled, shirt-off-his-back kind of guy. When my DH tells me he doesn't like someone then I know there is an issue because he doesn't say that often. I can only think of one real person that he just cannot stand. Me, my patience with people is less than his and I am quicker to react. I do have to say though that I am pretty good at my judgment of people and I get those vibes. When I get those vibes I am usually pretty accurate, that is not to say that I don't give them a chance but there are times when there is something that I just can't put my finger on it.
DH is the one in our house who is the good judge of character, and he almost immediately knows; he's so patient though and typically gives people the benefit of the doubt. I'm more like FORGET IT! I'M DONE! But I'm going to work on channeling his patience.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 AM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Didn't make it to Zumba yesterday. Well, I DID, except that I went at the wrong time. I guess I should actually check the schedule before I go. I did hit the gym,though. Gym today as well, and with any luck, Zumba on both Friday and Saturday. I really miss it.

I added a few more resolutions to my list. I'm fed up with certain aspects of my life (not personal), and so I've decided that in the New Year, if something doesn't advance our business, contribute to my health/fitness, or enhance our quality of life/personal satisfaction, then I am not doing it.

Mostly I plan to apply this to my free time. Everything I do needs to be more focused. Example, I can waste HOURS aimlessly monitor-shopping on Amazon: I read book reviews, listen to and download MP3s, check out the cookware that I want to buy. While I agree with Bertrand Russell, who said that wasted time isn't wasted if you enjoyed what you did, that time could be put to much better use and could help me meet some other goals in my life.

So the self-discipline that I have cultivated through the process of weight loss will also creep into the other areas of my life. I need to get it together. I need to focus. I need to be even more awesome.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Boredom is the enemy. Online shopping is not boring. Reading book reviews is not boring. Downloading and listening to MP3's is not boring. All of these things may lead to personal enhancement, therefore, whatever you do with your free time, it should not be boring. Boredom is the enemy. Just sayin'.

Congratulations on your weight loss, your move toward improving your life and honing good relationships. Your friends are lucky to have you...the others are probably too self-involved to realize you are backing off.

You inspire me, Christine.
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Boredom is the enemy. Online shopping is not boring. Reading book reviews is not boring. Downloading and listening to MP3's is not boring. All of these things may lead to personal enhancement, therefore, whatever you do with your free time, it should not be boring. Boredom is the enemy. Just sayin'.

Congratulations on your weight loss, your move toward improving your life and honing good relationships. Your friends are lucky to have you...the others are probably too self-involved to realize you are backing off.

I completely agree with everything!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:58 AM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 View Post
I completely agree with everything!
Aw, thanks, ladies! I'm so glad to have "met" you!!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:01 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just a quick entry today, since I came home last night with a terrible headache and went to bed early. I had to do all of my "evening" stuff this morning (making lunches, etc.).

After-work parties are CHALLENGING. I need to be better prepared. I'm usually hungry by 5pm, so couple that with socializing AND a full spread of high-carb crap, and it's really difficult to stay focused. I did my best last night: Vegetables with dip, bleu cheese, mussels, and two small glasses of wine.

But a headache nonetheless. I know some sugar got by me with the bleu cheese; it was encrusted in cranberries and walnuts, and while I did my best to avoid them, I know some got by me (they were glazed as well! Ugh). But at the very least, I feel like I was mindful. I made good choices in the face of serious temptation (those puff pastry appetizers are soooo good. But I declined. I also avoided three huge cakes!). Anyway, another cocktail party after work today, but I'm ready. I packed my rare roast beef that I plan to eat at 4pm, prior to going!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:46 AM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just under two pounds away from a 50-pound loss. If I hit that before 12/26 (I will), that's 50 pounds in five months.

In other words, Holy Smokes!

But the hardest challenge is yet to come. Parties, no problem, for the most part. I've been through two (let's talk about my strategy for last night: I stopped at the grocery store to pick up some pepperoni and cheese because my roast beef wasn't enough! I ate that in the car before the party, and ate NOTHING at the party. More importantly, I drank NOTHING as well!), but my kryptonite will be right in my face on Saturday night:

A Wedding.

With my closest work colleagues.

Weddings are hard, let's face it. That open bar gets me Every. Single. Time. But this time, no. I am driving, fortunately; we aren't staying overnight, as we normally would. So I'm limiting myself to two (at the most) glasses of Pinot Noir and calling it a night.

The wedding cake won't bother me one bit, and neither will the potatoes they'll (undoubtedly) serve at dinner.

I plan to eat heartily before I go and have just one drink during the cocktail hour, and one at dinner.

So it has been written, so shall it be! Right? Right.

ETA: One of the things I'm going to need to deal with before tomorrow night is this blue dress. If I don't get a grip on my somewhat-high anxiety about wearing it, I am doomed to the open bar for sure. I am definitely not one to wear "figure-hugging" clothing, and DESPITE DH telling me that it looks great, I need to work on believing it for myself. I'm not usually a self-conscious person in any way, but I am also not a person who likes to have the goods "on display." It's not an overt "display" of cleavage or anything, but it's definitely not in line with what I normally wear. I think I need to just put it on five minutes before we leave and walk out the door without looking in the mirror.

Ugh. Seriously. I need to get a grip.

Last edited by ChristineCQ; 12-17-2010 at 03:59 AM..
Old 12-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
while i totally understand your feelings...know that...that is one terrific dress...and you will look amazing!

50 pounds! WTG!!!
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with Jan that you are going to look amazing. You already do and that dress is just going to show off all of your hard work. Make sure you take a picture please so we can see. Even if you don't want to put it on the open boards you can email it to me and Jan.

The one thing that I have noticed in the past year since eating low carb is that I cannot drink more than two glasses of wine without being completely loopy. My tolerance is pretty much gone. I am assuming that it has to do with the lack of carbs in my system to soak up all of that alcohol and I feel it so much faster. I also get a lot more headaches after drinking wine so that is a huge deterrent.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Wine is the first thing I gave up when dieting, cause I was drinking way too many empty calories. I have had a little bit in recent weeks...and can't tolerate much at all. That's a good thing for me. Unfortunately, I feel just fine if I eat cookies

I haven't even had the nerve to try on a dress or skirt, so Christine, I admire your confidence...the true you, that you will project to all of those wedding guests (who won't know that you'd rather keep your coat on ) And, of course I want to see a pic!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for your support, ladies! I know I need to get past this......I think that overall, it's an important part of the "new me," this learning to be comfortable with whatever shape I'm in from now on.

I will definitely send you a pic via PM!

And I might skip the wine altogether as well, Jan. My stomach has been bothering me lately, so it's probably a good idea to avoid it!

And Jan, no skirts/dresses on your lithe self??? You of all people should be pulling out the stops, my friend!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Yes Jan you should be showing off those short skirts with those sexy new boots!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

You all are soo funny! You forget that I am...old. There are saggy parts...everywhere. They are getting better, and with exercise, would be be improved too Those are excuses of course...for being too chicken to show skin! Anyway, young ladies...do as I say, not as I do
Old 12-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
You all are soo funny! You forget that I am...old. There are saggy parts...everywhere. They are getting better, and with exercise, would be be improved too Those are excuses of course...for being too chicken to show skin! Anyway, young ladies...do as I say, not as I do
Yeah Yeah Grannie!!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:39 AM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Exercise? As if chasing three grandkids on the beach isn't enough???
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Closer to 180 than 190. YAY!

Easy night last night: Dinner out and it included prosciutto wrapped shrimp and a turkey cobb salad. Delicious! Breakfast, shake. Lunch, roast beef and chicken.

Seems like I've been living a VLC life lately. I sort of cycle up and down with vegetables. If it's convenient to have them, I will. Seems like it's mostly more convenient to not have them.

Wedding tonight, and I really think I will be ok with the open bar. My stomach is not in great shape these days (GERD dx last week), and it's exacerbated by the typical stuff (red wine, coffee), so I have a good reason to stay away from it. In fact, after dinner last night, we stopped at our neighborhood bar, where DH had a few beers, and I had.....nothing. It's just not worth the pain.

Two weeks left in the year and I am within five pounds of the goal I originally set for myself when I started this process. My first mini-goal was to reach 199 by 10/31. I got there early, which was great. My first major goal is to reach 180 by 12/31. Might hit that, might not. Either way, I'm so pleased with this progress. With just about 50 pounds down, anything else seems totally attainable. When I first started, conceptualizing a loss of 70 lbs (to get to 170) seemed ridiculous!!! So I focused on the first 30, which seemed more manageable. Now I'm within 50 pounds of what would probably be a vanity weight for me, and that is just incredible. I never imagined I would be here.

Still taking it a day at a time, though. Good planning, careful choices, mindful eating.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

vanity weight....so cool!!!

for you, everything is possible

how are you feeling?
Old 12-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
vanity weight....so cool!!!

for you, everything is possible

how are you feeling?
Thanks, Jan!

I promised DH I wouldn't drink any coffee today, but I wanted to have my shake at lunch (drinking it now). So I used decaf, unflavored coffee. I think the problems in the past few days were directly related to the BUTTER RUM coffee I was adding to my shake.

I also think part of it was taking my stomach meds with just the shake instead of actual food. So I ate a real breakfast this morning. I think that helped.

So if I'm ok today, I'm going to try caffeinated coffee again in my shake, but I'll probably drink it at lunch and eat a regular breakfast each day to ward off any ill effects.

Hope you are having a great day, Jan!! What is on tap for those grandkids this holiday season??
Old 12-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So the wedding was no problem at all. I did drink 1/2 glass of Merlot, but that was it. The cocktail hour included bleu cheese, parm cheese, prosciutto, salmon, shrimp, scallops with bacon, etc. All very legal and very delicious food.

One dicey moment at dinner: The chicken included a mystery gravy and looked to be slightly breaded, so I asked our server if it included any "gluten." She checked with the kitchen and brought back the beef instead, with no gravy. The gravy had flour, which I figured. So I happily ate my plain beef and asparagus with salad, leaving the bread sticks, bread slab, twice-baked potato, and cake alone.

When I swapped meals, my friend said, "You never screw up, do you?" Short answer: Not if I can help it! That's one of the values of this journal to me: Someone like me -- who never knowingly eats something off plan -- still sees major fluctuations in my weight. Seeing it over the long term really helps me; yes, I am doing all the right things, but weight loss is not linear.

Anyway, I'm happy that I made it through the wedding. Now just a party today, a party Wednesday night, and a weekend away, and I'm through the hardest part of the holidays.

It's invigorating to know that living successfully through these temptations means that there is no reason I can't have success in the long term.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

hey lovely lady! you are successful already!

it sounds like a fun event, and your friend has "got your back".

yeah, weight loss is not usually linear (for a number of reasons)... but the short and long term results are so worth the efforts.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:47 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've had to give up my protein shake for now, as the coffee has been aggravating my stomach. I might try making it with plain water to see what happens.

I realized yesterday how much I rely on that thing. I went out for breakfast with my dad and his wife and DS at around 9. Normally on a Sunday, I might have the shake at lunch. We were too busy to worry about lunch, as we needed to be at DS's school by 2:30 for his xmas program. By 4pm, I was starving! I couldn't figure out why I was so ravenous (I rarely find myself seriously hungry anymore), only to remember that I hadn't had my shake at lunch.

But dinner there was good. I got the fajitas for one, a mix of steak and chicken, and just ate the filling without the tortillas. Very tasty!

Off today, thankfully, and DH and I are going to do some running around while DS is in school. I need to shop for the weekend's food; the menus is this (designed by my LC self!):

Xmas eve dinner: Prime rib, green beans, cauliflower
Xmas dinner: Spiral ham, broccoli, mashed potatoes for the masses

Breakfasts will be eggs with ham or eggs with bacon
Lunches will be sandwiches (I will eat the meat and cheese!) with deviled eggs, pickles, olives, etc.

I'm making regular desserts to take with us: Black-bottom cupcakes (DS's favorite), cream cheese cupcakes (grandpa's favorite), gingersnaps (DH's favorites), and we already made the roll-outs.

Now let's see if I can remember to pack everything I need to preparing these meals. We shall see.

ETA: Last night I pulled out some pants (2 pair) from the attic that fit me for probably one day: The day I bought them! I never wore them (tags still on!), and whenever I was shuffling things around in the attic, I would think, 'Boy, if I ever fit into these pants, I will feel like I have really done something!' Well, I brought them down to try on, and they fit! I'm not yet ready to wear them out of the house, but after the first of the year, I will definitely be wearing them to work!

Last edited by ChristineCQ; 12-20-2010 at 04:05 AM..
Old 12-20-2010, 04:11 AM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I've had to give up my protein shake for now, as the coffee has been aggravating my stomach. I might try making it with plain water to see what happens.

I realized yesterday how much I rely on that thing. I went out for breakfast with my dad and his wife and DS at around 9. Normally on a Sunday, I might have the shake at lunch. We were too busy to worry about lunch, as we needed to be at DS's school by 2:30 for his xmas program. By 4pm, I was starving! I couldn't figure out why I was so ravenous (I rarely find myself seriously hungry anymore), only to remember that I hadn't had my shake at lunch.

But dinner there was good. I got the fajitas for one, a mix of steak and chicken, and just ate the filling without the tortillas. Very tasty!

Off today, thankfully, and DH and I are going to do some running around while DS is in school. I need to shop for the weekend's food; the menus is this (designed by my LC self!):

Xmas eve dinner: Prime rib, green beans, cauliflower
Xmas dinner: Spiral ham, broccoli, mashed potatoes for the masses

Breakfasts will be eggs with ham or eggs with bacon
Lunches will be sandwiches (I will eat the meat and cheese!) with deviled eggs, pickles, olives, etc.

I'm making regular desserts to take with us: Black-bottom cupcakes (DS's favorite), cream cheese cupcakes (grandpa's favorite), gingersnaps (DH's favorites), and we already made the roll-outs.

Now let's see if I can remember to pack everything I need to preparing these meals. We shall see.

ETA: Last night I pulled out some pants (2 pair) from the attic that fit me for probably one day: The day I bought them! I never wore them (tags still on!), and whenever I was shuffling things around in the attic, I would think, 'Boy, if I ever fit into these pants, I will feel like I have really done something!' Well, I brought them down to try on, and they fit! I'm not yet ready to wear them out of the house, but after the first of the year, I will definitely be wearing them to work!
You are still doing awesome Christine. You are listening to your body and mind and going with it. That is huge.

What kind of protein shake are you drinking? Is it a premixed one?

How great that you were able to get an old pair of pants on. I do not have anything from my "thin" days except for a couple shirts. Shirts are not my problem as I am bottom heavy. I do have some markings on the measuring tape where I had been at one time when I was losing so I am trying to get to where the markers were. I looked really good at that size and would like to get there!

Have a great day shopping with DH today.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Dawn! Glad to see you! How was your weekend??

My protein shake is usually 8 oz coffee, ice, dark u/sw cocoa powder, SF vanilla syrup, and vanilla pp. I dropped the coffee today and used water instead; it's thicker than I usually like, but it'll work! I will wait to see if my stomach has a reaction. If not, then it's definitely the coffee!!

You will get to those markers; I just know it! It's great to have those visual indicators. I look in the mirror and see no changes, but when I put on those clothes....wow. I know things have definitely changed! Hope you have a good day!! Waiting for DH to get out of the shower so that we can head out; I already did the grocery shopping this morning after taking DS to the bus!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey Dawn! Glad to see you! How was your weekend??

My protein shake is usually 8 oz coffee, ice, dark u/sw cocoa powder, SF vanilla syrup, and vanilla pp. I dropped the coffee today and used water instead; it's thicker than I usually like, but it'll work! I will wait to see if my stomach has a reaction. If not, then it's definitely the coffee!!

You will get to those markers; I just know it! It's great to have those visual indicators. I look in the mirror and see no changes, but when I put on those clothes....wow. I know things have definitely changed! Hope you have a good day!! Waiting for DH to get out of the shower so that we can head out; I already did the grocery shopping this morning after taking DS to the bus!
My weekend was busy. We had my son's birthday yesterday. He turned 20 and tomorrow is my daughter's. She turns 18. Eek...I'm getting old. To think in 3 years my son will be the same age as me when I had him is scary.

Have you tried the protein drinks making them with water, ice and HWC. They are very filling and will hold you for a long time. If you eat any fruit adding some frozen strawberries with all of your vanilla stuff is really good. Even adding some frozen strawberries to your chocolate concoction is really good and super filling. I think that it is the HWC that does the trick.

Grocery shopping is what I plan on doing after I take my daughter to work today. I am not looking forward to that.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, I forgot to mention HWC as an essential ingredient in my shake! Today I made the strawberry one, however, because I had a terrible, awful, horrible stomach episode yesterday that resulted in our having to come home and my (not to get graphic, but....) seeing my breakfast come up.

We've isolated the problem to cocoa, I think. I've had HWC and protein powder without a problem (whip them up together and they're delicious as a little evening dessert!); the remaining ingredients were cocoa and SF syrup. It actually could be either of those causing the problem, but I think cocoa because when I saw it the second time around, it came up undigested. I think it's too harsh on my stomach after five months of drinking it nearly every day!

So anyway, I'm giving the strawberry/HWC/water/ice combo a try today to see how that goes. I've had strawberries before without a problem, so I think I can safely add them back in.

Once the stomach episode was over, DH and I managed to get a few things done. I have one more gift to pick up for DS, and I think we're completely finished. I made some cream cheese cupcakes yesterday (no-bake), and they're currently in the freezer. I did have to eat a little of the graham crust because it's so delicious, but it was just graham crumbs with butter. I also find that I put less sugar in things these days just out of natural inclination; the recipe called for 1/4 cup and I used about half that. I wonder if my family will say it isn't sweet enough. Or maybe they're used to this new reality by now.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:34 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Dawn, I forgot to mention HWC as an essential ingredient in my shake! Today I made the strawberry one, however, because I had a terrible, awful, horrible stomach episode yesterday that resulted in our having to come home and my (not to get graphic, but....) seeing my breakfast come up.

We've isolated the problem to cocoa, I think. I've had HWC and protein powder without a problem (whip them up together and they're delicious as a little evening dessert!); the remaining ingredients were cocoa and SF syrup. It actually could be either of those causing the problem, but I think cocoa because when I saw it the second time around, it came up undigested. I think it's too harsh on my stomach after five months of drinking it nearly every day!

So anyway, I'm giving the strawberry/HWC/water/ice combo a try today to see how that goes. I've had strawberries before without a problem, so I think I can safely add them back in.

Once the stomach episode was over, DH and I managed to get a few things done. I have one more gift to pick up for DS, and I think we're completely finished. I made some cream cheese cupcakes yesterday (no-bake), and they're currently in the freezer. I did have to eat a little of the graham crust because it's so delicious, but it was just graham crumbs with butter. I also find that I put less sugar in things these days just out of natural inclination; the recipe called for 1/4 cup and I used about half that. I wonder if my family will say it isn't sweet enough. Or maybe they're used to this new reality by now.

I wonder if you are getting a touch of the stomach bug that is going around. Or is being part of GERD. I know the uncomfortableness in your stomach is a symptom.

It does seem strange that the cocoa would be bugging your stomach after eating it for 5 months straight. I really love the strawberry one. Once in a great while during the summer I would take half a banana and add it to my chocolate protein drink and it was like a chocolate covered banana. I know that you are not ready for that high of carbs but it really was great. For me, I don't have "trigger foods" so eating higher carb foods don't bug me.

I'm glad that you were able to get back out shopping yesterday even though you felt crappy. How frustrating and bad timing. You are still doing great though.