Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #1411
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Day two of being "back to normal." Eating for the past two weeks has been TERRIBLE, and then I was out of the gym all last week for obvious reasons. My heart goes out to the people who lost everything in the storm; I cannot imagine.

I did spend a bit of time thinking about how every day, every moment is a choice. I thought a lot about how drug/alcohol addicts are driven to continual substance use as a result of brain chemistry and how my own behavior mimics this dynamic. Sugar is my drug, clearly, and I continue to allow it to rule me. I make a conscious choice to engage in destructive behaviors that prevent me from being my most optimal me. I need to get my head back in the game and will do so by

1. Living each day moment to moment
2. Thinking before eating
3. Acknowledging that I am an addict
4. Avoiding baking cookies!!!!!!!!!!

That last one is tough. I'm good in the kitchen: I love cooking and baking (baking especially), and I love eating what I love making! I tell myself that I'm baking for my family, but really, I am baking for myself. I need to stop.

Back to the gym today, which helps. I am motivated by achievement. This is an important thing to know about oneself: What motivates me? Some people are motivated by negative things (not liking what they see in the mirror, inability to perform certain tasks, health complications, etc.). I am motivated by positive things: Positive changes I see in the mirror, making good progress in the gym, etc. I need to focus on those things so that I can stay motivated (this is one reason weighing daily no longer works for me. The fluctuations are not motivating at all!).

So those are my hurricane musings. In less abstract news, here's how the food situation is shaking out:

B (Monday/Tuesday): Coffee and hwc/coffee and hwc
L: HB egg and cheese/HB egg and cheese
D: Chef salad with bleu cheese/will be chicken with chipotle chile sauce (not exactly sure how I'm going to make this yet, but that's the plan!)

Hope everyone is off to a great week. Thanksgiving two weeks from Thursday? I cannot believe that....

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #1412
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
Day two of being "back to normal." Eating for the past two weeks has been TERRIBLE, and then I was out of the gym all last week for obvious reasons. My heart goes out to the people who lost everything in the storm; I cannot imagine.

I did spend a bit of time thinking about how every day, every moment is a choice. I thought a lot about how drug/alcohol addicts are driven to continual substance use as a result of brain chemistry and how my own behavior mimics this dynamic. Sugar is my drug, clearly, and I continue to allow it to rule me. I make a conscious choice to engage in destructive behaviors that prevent me from being my most optimal me. I need to get my head back in the game and will do so by

1. Living each day moment to moment
2. Thinking before eating
3. Acknowledging that I am an addict
4. Avoiding baking cookies!!!!!!!!!!

That last one is tough. I'm good in the kitchen: I love cooking and baking (baking especially), and I love eating what I love making! I tell myself that I'm baking for my family, but really, I am baking for myself. I need to stop.

Back to the gym today, which helps. I am motivated by achievement. This is an important thing to know about oneself: What motivates me? Some people are motivated by negative things (not liking what they see in the mirror, inability to perform certain tasks, health complications, etc.). I am motivated by positive things: Positive changes I see in the mirror, making good progress in the gym, etc. I need to focus on those things so that I can stay motivated (this is one reason weighing daily no longer works for me. The fluctuations are not motivating at all!).

So those are my hurricane musings. In less abstract news, here's how the food situation is shaking out:

B (Monday/Tuesday): Coffee and hwc/coffee and hwc
L: HB egg and cheese/HB egg and cheese
D: Chef salad with bleu cheese/will be chicken with chipotle chile sauce (not exactly sure how I'm going to make this yet, but that's the plan!)

Hope everyone is off to a great week. Thanksgiving two weeks from Thursday? I cannot believe that....
I am so glad you're back and safe! I know it must be terrible in that situation.
I truly understand your love of cooking, both for your family and yourself. I'm the same.

I am inspired by your weight loss and attitude, I hope I can be as successful as you.

scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #1413
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maximoon
Stats: 165-170/155/151, 5'8"
WOE: No sugar, no flour diet
Start Date: April 2012
Christine,

Love all of your profound thoughts that you shared. My favorite is what you said about thinking before eating. So much of our struggle is a mind game, even though the results may be physical. I try to be very conscious of my food choices, really asking myself, "How will I feel after eating that?".

I wish you luck with your goals. YOU can do it, friend!!

Have a great one,

Hugs, Jenna
Maximoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #1414
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, ladies. I know you understand as no one else can.

Here's how the chipotle chicken shaped up. DS and I loved it; DH was lukewarm, as usual.

3 chicken breasts, sliced
Onion, garlic, whatever you like, chopped
Seasoning as desired (garlic salt for me)

Saute all of that until the chicken is nearly cooked

Add 2-3 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo (found in cans in the Goya section)

Add 1-2 T of the sauce (adjust for your heat tolerance)

Add some chicken broth (maybe 1/4 cup? I'm not a measurer)

Add some HWC (1/4 cup? I don't know)

Allow to simmer about 10-15 minutes. When chicken is cooked through, throw some cheese on top and allow to melt.

DS ate his mixed with rice on a tortilla like a burrito. DH and I ate ours in a bowl, mine with added salsa and sour cream. Had the rest as a snack this morning. I loved it!

Almost had a butterscotch disaster earlier today (warm apple crisp with butterscotch sauce??), but I averted it. I stirred the butterscotch sauce and walked away. True story!

Feeling my return to the gym in my hams, quads, and glutes today. Tuesday is a fierce lower body workout, but it's all good. I'm glad to feel like I worked.

Up to 25 modified push-ups (still having a heel problem, so no planks or full push-ups yet). I'm happy with that progress.

Heading out to a going-away party tonight. Hoping to avoid both wine and nachos. We shall see!

And snow?? Come on. I could do without that right now given my precarious electrical situation at home!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #1415
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Mmmmmmm I'm gonna have to try your recipe!!!

Have fun tonight, I know you'll do great!

Snow????? What's that????????????
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #1416
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Christine we got lucky that we dodged this bullet with the snow, NYC got hammered. Christine I know it is daily struggle with eating, working out etc, you had a stressful time with the storm, my trainer and I were talking about that, he said OK you had a bad week now get it back together and he is big on trying to stop the negative thoughts in my head, he thinks I get in my own way!!!! He is right I am so focused on where I was what I could be doing that I forget how far I have come on the journey!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #1417
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
I can commiserate with everything you said about addiction. Wheat is mine and I have been off of it for almost four weeks now. It gets easier as I go along but it's never far from my thoughts. I've been compensating by making low carb alternative non-wheat products such as peanut butter bread, cauliflower mac n cheese, meatza etc. I know you love to bake and now is a great time to explore and make legal goodies that you (as well as the rest of your family) can enjoy. Low carb cheese cakes, cookies and cakes that are sugar free and won't "ignite" your addiction. The recipes are out there. Dana Carpentar, George Stella, to name a couple. You don't have to do without, just modify. I love your affirmations and revelations, you are a wonderful example, and still my hero.
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #1418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

*sigh*

Thanks, Blonde. Still struggling here. I really need to get it together.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #1419
Senior LCF Member

I hear you, Christine. I am also having a rough time right now, and I haven't even had to face all of the challenges that you have lately. It's just gotta get better...I know we can do it!!

Hugs, Jenna
Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #1420
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
*sigh*

Thanks, Blonde. Still struggling here. I really need to get it together.
I know your gonna be alright. Just relax and give yourself some time and good self talk.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #1421

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: 215/152.6/150 5'9"
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Yep, mind is where we need to work aggressively. It will be a life long struggle, but one that will be well worth doing.....this I am positive about! We can do this!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #1422
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, ladies. Day by day.

Things are just.........not good. Serious health stuff with DH and no clear answers yet. I'm trying not to let on that I'm as concerned as I really am; that won't help the situation, so I'm putting on the brave-and-supportive face as we wait to see how things shake out.

In the meantime, I don't realize how stressed I am until I'm halfway through a bag of Reese's miniatures (or unable to stop crying as I type). It sneaks up on me. I need better ways to deal.

In better news, we finally have power back to all rooms. DH caught up on laundry yesterday, thankfully. The things we take for granted, like clean clothes!

Taking nutrition day by day. DS is off with his grandmother for the weekend, DH is at work, and this is my first block of free time by myself in awhile. I gave myself permission to do what I want. Do you want to eat the rest of that candy, Christine? Go ahead. Who cares. As it turns out, I don't even want to. I ate a late LC lunch (eggs scrambled with chicken, wing sauce, and ricotta; weird but delicious), drank my coffee, and have been enjoying carbonated water all day.

Did I mention the soda stream? I purchased one, and it's quite delightful. I didn't realize that I'd like carbonated water, but I do. It feels way more substantial than water and is actually quite filling. I bought it because DH likes soda so much; I figured we could just make our own at home. I think DS and I enjoy the process of making it more than DH enjoys drinking it. It's like a science experiment!

Hit the thrift store today to pick up a few staples. Bought some wide belts after seeing a friend of mine work the belt thing with gusto. Adding a belt actually makes a huge difference in my wardrobe; who knew? It makes things look much more "pulled together."

I bought this sweater in grey for $7. I call that a pretty good deal.

On the fitness front, I'm going to repeat week 8 of my 12-week program. I missed a week due to the storm, so I lost a little bit of ground. Before I move to the hardest part of the program (four weeks of 4-6 reps, which means super heavy weights), I'm going to try to get back to where I was before the storm. I think it's the right move.

Hope every one is having a great weekend! Supposed to be mild here for a change!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sweater.jpg (20.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #1423

Yay for getting on!

I love that sweater! I got lots of belts at thrift stores too. A real bargain and, like you said, pull it together!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #1424
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Love thrift stores! Yay you for seeing something you like and rocking it yourself! Keep on cookin' up those yummy LC experiments.

I hope you hear soon re: DH's health. So much going on, you must be stressed to the maximus!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #1425

Christine I will pray all is well with DH, love the sweater I have a few of those long cardigans I love them! Belts rock, they do pull together everything, and a wide belts defines your waist for sure!
Hun just pick back up where you left off and go from there, it is all you can do dont beat yourself up just pick up!!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 AM   #1426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am definitely picking up. Back to basics:

Drinking butter coffee right now
Baking some bacon to take with me to work
Made HB eggs for this week
Planned tasty LC meals

Now I just have to control my behaviors. Here's to a good week, one day at a time!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #1427

Got some of my favs at thrift stores!

Prayers for your DH
Old 11-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #1428
Senior LCF Member

Hi Christine!

Sounds like you have some good plans to get back on track this week. I know the key for me is to have some good LC stuff to take to work with me. Bacon sounds particularly good right now!!

I'll keep your DH's health in my thoughts. We are having some issues with my DH's health too, waiting for some test results. It is so stressful.

Make it a great Monday!

Hugs, Jenna
Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #1429
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Lots of prayers for DH!
Back on track, you got this girl!
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #1430
Senior LCF Member

Good morning!

I pray all will be well with you dh! Worrying about that has to be overwhelming along with your household being upset by the storm/storms. Maybe things can settle down for you. Bacon and eggs is a sure ticket for me, hang in, you can do it! The belt and sweater sounds fun, awesome to have a waist to be able to wear them! woohoo!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #1431
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, thank you. I am hoping we'll have answers soon. I've been 'Dr. Googling' it, and I think we might have found something. Honestly, I hope so, because it's not as bad as what I imagine it could be. I guess we'll find out on Saturday!

Boy, yesterday was a challenge! First, a major disruption to my morning schedule that threatened to prevent my workout. Managed that one ok; got to the gym late, but got there. Had a good workout; felt strong, and it was just what I needed to get back in the groove.

Took lots of food with me to work and pretty much ate it all day: Bacon, string cheese, HB egg, birdseed crackers, carbonated water. The good news? I ate what I brought. I didn't go get anything "extra" from the cafeteria. Came home and ate some eggs with pepperoni and ricota for dinner (I am on a ricota kick these days).

Late afternoon: Found out that a friend/colleague was fired. Devastating. I was speechless and very upset. Came home late and saw a bag of cookies on the counter that my dad had sent over this weekend. It was a knee-jerk response to open the bag and take one, but I stopped myself. And my thought at that moment was, "What are you DOING?????" Reason took over, and I left the cookies alone. I thought, "Seriously? I can't even get through ONE DAY????"

But I can. And I did. And now we're on to day two! Have a great Tuesday!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #1432

SO much of this is our own mental battle with food, like I know I cant eat with abandon and not worry everyone else it seems can indulge and enjoy I know I cant I am the human sponge, so for me it is all about changing the self talk, I talk so negative to myself yet I would never talk to a friend the way I do to myself? We are so hard on ourselves. I am taking one day at a time, this contest has me so stressed the one older lady on Sunday was like I am eating whatever I want and it is what it is, I thought man I could never have that attitude, yet I do it to my self over and over!!! Keep plowing Christine, I always find that extra hard workouts keep me focused too, like why do I want to undo all that hard work!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #1433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thinking of you my friend. Have a great day! You're back on the right track.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #1434
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
But I can. And I did. And now we're on to day two! Have a great Tuesday!
I hope your day is good! Good joy on staying op, I have to stop myself like that. I am still hoping all will be well with your dh.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #1435
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skyesmom2002
Stats: 194/173/154
WOE: Low Carb
Good job Christine on a successful day two . Things will get better, I promise
skyesmom2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:36 AM   #1436

Hey Christine!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #1437
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning, ladies! Wine last night, and a few fries, but otherwise, not bad. It could have been worse.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #1438
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love a good glass (or two) of wine. What kind do you like? Pinot Noir, right? How are your Thanksgiving plans stacking up? Home this year? Did you get a chance to make the biscuits? Sorry for the interrogation, inquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #1439
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't make the biscuits yet, but they're definitely on tap for Thanksgiving! We had to run out to a birthday party last night (hence the wine and fries!). As for Tgiving, looks like we'll be home, which is great for me; I like planning the meal and making the LC sides! Cauliflower, broccoli, etc. Keeping it low-key with just my dad and his wife, and the three of us. We'll do dinner at my house and then dessert at theirs. How about you??
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #1440
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanksgiving here at my house. My three, their significant others, two grand girls and the Hubs. I'm making Turkey and Southern cornbread dressing (a family MUST-have) and potatoes. The others are bringing a dish or dessert but no one will commit to anything, lol. Lots of wine, probably a football game on TV and later on, we'll play cards and have a fire outdoors. I have to pace myself and not forget to eat...otherwise I'll be asleep too early.