Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
How have you been Christine?!
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #903
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Hope everyone had a good weekend! Rough one here, but alas.....

Back to swimming this morning for better or for worse. It doesn't thrill me, but it needs to be done.

Also, here's a semi-hypothetical question: Can cigarette smoking be part of a healthy lifestyle?

Consider this: Both Japan and France have HIGHER smoking rates and HIGHER overall health and longevity. Is it possible that their access to quality healthcare and notable dietary differences (i.e. fewer grains and sugar) mitigate the effects of smoking?

High insulin levels (Standard American Diet) = Cellular Damage
Smoking = Cellular damage

Add those two, and longevity decreases. Add only ONE (smoking), and life can be healthy? That's what the research says, anyway.

It's on my mind because I've taken to having about 1/2 clove cigarette every few days, and as long as it doesn't interfere with my workouts, I'm not stopping. It's better for relieving stress than cake, methinks.

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #904
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
Hope everyone had a good weekend! Rough one here, but alas.....

Back to swimming this morning for better or for worse. It doesn't thrill me, but it needs to be done.

Also, here's a semi-hypothetical question: Can cigarette smoking be part of a healthy lifestyle?

Consider this: Both Japan and France have HIGHER smoking rates and HIGHER overall health and longevity. Is it possible that their access to quality healthcare and notable dietary differences (i.e. fewer grains and sugar) mitigate the effects of smoking?

High insulin levels (Standard American Diet) = Cellular Damage
Smoking = Cellular damage

Add those two, and longevity decreases. Add only ONE (smoking), and life can be healthy? That's what the research says, anyway.

It's on my mind because I've taken to having about 1/2 clove cigarette every few days, and as long as it doesn't interfere with my workouts, I'm not stopping. It's better for relieving stress than cake, methinks.
Clove cigarettes are the only cigarettes I used to smoke, I love them, they taste like Christmas, however, you can't buy them in MN or WI anymore so I dont smoke them anymore

I loved them so much I named my black chinchilla 'Clover' after them. Its probably a good thing I cant buy them here
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #905
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Interesting thought.

I know I shouldn't touch them. Have a tendency for lung issues....bronchitis...have ditched smoking....

The clove ones o sound good though. Would have liked them.
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #906
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, the smoking might come to a quick close as I begin couch to 5k (AGAIN) with my friend today. I'll need to see how badly I'm sucking wind.

Have I mentioned how much I hate running?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #907
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
As an ex-smoker I'm always looking for any good reason to smoke again...alas I too have lung issues and I could never only smoke 1/2 cigarette every few days. I'm one of those who REALLY smokes when I'm into it. That said, I think 1/2 cig a couple times a week wouldn't hurt you like full on addiction would. There are probably better ways to deal with stress but if you enjoy this very "little" pleasure, keep doing it,
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #908
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My favorite paragraph from this Taubes article:

So what should we eat? The latest clinical trials suggest that all of us would benefit from fewer (if any) sugars and fewer refined grains (bread, pasta) and starchy vegetables (potatoes). This was the conventional wisdom through the mid-1960s, and then we turned the grains and starches into heart-healthy diet foods and the USDA enshrined them in the base of its famous Food Guide Pyramid as the staples of our diet. That this shift coincides with the obesity epidemic is probably not a coincidence. As for those of us who are overweight, experimental trials, the gold standard of medical evidence, suggest that diets that are severely restricted in fattening carbohydrates and rich in animal products—meat, eggs, cheese—and green leafy vegetables are arguably the best approach, if not the healthiest diet to eat. Not only does weight go down when people eat like this, but heart disease and diabetes risk factors are reduced. Ethical arguments against meat-eating are always valid; health arguments against it can no longer be defended.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #909

love GT
Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #910
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

First two days of C25K: Done (and I didn't die). It wasn't that hard, really, especially given that I did the first five weeks last fall. I quit because it was hard and because I didn't like it. But now my friend is doing it with me, so I'm more likely to stick with it. I'd really like to be able to run for 30 minutes straight (without dying). That way, if a predator with sharp teeth is chasing me, I will be able to run for my life. Right now, I'd be dead in under five minutes.

Meant to swim this morning but forgot my goggles/swim cap. Lifted instead, which is my preference, anyway.

But now I'm hungry, which is unusual for me. Normally, I drink my coffee/coconut oil, and I'm good until past noon, when I have an iced coffee. A month or two back, I was reading the Bulletproof Executive, and he's big on intermittent fasting. I tried it according to his plan: Coffee in the morning (with butter! Delicious), another coffee if I want it at noon, and eating only between 2pm and 8pm. I dropped 7 lbs pretty quickly and felt great! Maybe I'll try that again. A friend of mine insists that IF is the fast-track to diabetes, but I haven't seen any literature on that; have any of you?

Do you have any experience with IF?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #911

Haven't heard any info on IF and diabetes. Ask your friend where hey got he info.

Only did a few days of IF before I got ill a few weeks a go. (not related to the IFing) I did Leptin Reset with good results for a while. Want to get back to that.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #912
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the info, Kitty! I might try the IF again.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #913
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWANNABE View Post
I've been thinking about experimenting with coconut flour pancakes. What's your recipe?
Here's the one that I'll try today:

Ingredients

4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk (raw cow’s or coconut both work)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon honey or a pinch of stevia
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
coconut oil or butter for frying

Directions

Preheat griddle over medium-low heat. In a small bowl beat eggs until frothy, about two minutes. Mix in milk, vanilla, and honey or stevia.
In a medium-sized bowl combine coconut flour, baking soda, and sea salt and whisk together. Stir wet mixture into dry until coconut flour is incorporated.
Grease pan with butter or coconut oil. Ladle a few tablespoons of batter into pan for each pancake. Spread out slightly with the back of a spoon. The pancakes should be 2-3 inches in diameter and fairly thick. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until the tops dry out slightly and the bottoms start to brown. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
Serve hot with butter, coconut oil, honey, syrup, or fruit.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #914
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Twoterville/1st. Goal - ONEderland!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Everyday!
Happy Mother's Day Christine!
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #915
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Happy Momma's Day Christine! Also, I adore Coconut Flour Pancakes
Old 05-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #916
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, ladies! Hope you had a great day!

The coconut pancakes were ok; I'll use something other than coconut milk next time. They were so filling, though; I could only eat about two, total. I made the mistake of adding SF syrup......ugh. Forgot about the nasty effects of sugar alcohols!

Had a great dinner of Delmonico steak, a few short ribs, green beans with garlic, and mashed cauliflower with garlic. I love cooking on Sundays! During the winter, I usually spend several hours in the kitchen making chili and other comfort foods for the week. Made it to the gym to lift first thing this morning as well, so that was a bonus. Workouts for the week will probably be this:

M: Swim, Lift
T: Walk/Run
W: Lift
R: Walk/Run
F: Walk/Run
S: Lift

Let's make it a great week, everyone! Countdown to summer is ON!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #917
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JCWANNABE
Stats: 289/257/135 5'5"
Start Date: April 18th, 2012
Quote:
Here's the one that I'll try today:

Ingredients

4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk (raw cow’s or coconut both work)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon honey or a pinch of stevia
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
coconut oil or butter for frying

Directions

Preheat griddle over medium-low heat. In a small bowl beat eggs until frothy, about two minutes. Mix in milk, vanilla, and honey or stevia.
In a medium-sized bowl combine coconut flour, baking soda, and sea salt and whisk together. Stir wet mixture into dry until coconut flour is incorporated.
Grease pan with butter or coconut oil. Ladle a few tablespoons of batter into pan for each pancake. Spread out slightly with the back of a spoon. The pancakes should be 2-3 inches in diameter and fairly thick. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until the tops dry out slightly and the bottoms start to brown. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
Serve hot with butter, coconut oil, honey, syrup, or fruit.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Thanks christine!

I think I am seeing pancakes in my VERY near future . I wonder if unsweetened almond milk would work? It says 1 carb and 1 fiber, so pretty much carb free.

I was feeling a bit bad making the kids pancakes for breakfast this morning, mothers day of course, while my husband slept in. And I did not even get to eat any of it. Now I'm going to get my pancake fix!
JCWANNABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #918

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Christine:
OMG so many things, I am glad you are back, I quit smoking, I would say do not go there with the cloves, were you a regular smoker at one time? I smoked virginia slims for 25 years then when they went up to almost $6 a pack I started smoking those little flavored cigars and cloves, well I ended up getting so hooked on those sweet cigars, Dreams, OMG I loved them! So anyways as of 1/17/12 I am off all smokes, OMG it is so hard its all I think about, but I am determined to stay beat on this, I am almost at 4 months other than when i was pregnant and nursing its the longest I have ever stayed off them, the day I was laid off I was like do I go get smokes or go home, man I had to fight to go the right direction but I did it! Lay off the cloves especially if you are doing C25K again.

C25K- I still cant run from my surgery but like you it is a love hate for me too, I was doing so well with it, and then my leg surgery and I never had the same mojo it is super you have a friend to do it with.

Diet- OMG I am so back and forth with what to do, I just read the Eat Clean books by Tosca Reno, I love her, I was all set for that and now Monday morning scale time I am like OMG should I just do low carb and see what happens? Should I do BFFM, OMG I am back and forth, so if you figure it out, let me know, LOL My husband said maybe you should do one thing and give it a month, and something that does not involve eating a jar of almonds in one sitting,LOL

So good luck hun, we gotta get it together with something, one thing being unemployed I am loving having loads of time at the gym, now if I could just get healed and feel better!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:53 AM   #919
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Christine:
OMG so many things, I am glad you are back, I quit smoking, I would say do not go there with the cloves, were you a regular smoker at one time? I smoked virginia slims for 25 years then when they went up to almost $6 a pack I started smoking those little flavored cigars and cloves, well I ended up getting so hooked on those sweet cigars, Dreams, OMG I loved them! So anyways as of 1/17/12 I am off all smokes, OMG it is so hard its all I think about, but I am determined to stay beat on this, I am almost at 4 months other than when i was pregnant and nursing its the longest I have ever stayed off them, the day I was laid off I was like do I go get smokes or go home, man I had to fight to go the right direction but I did it! Lay off the cloves especially if you are doing C25K again.

C25K- I still cant run from my surgery but like you it is a love hate for me too, I was doing so well with it, and then my leg surgery and I never had the same mojo it is super you have a friend to do it with.

Diet- OMG I am so back and forth with what to do, I just read the Eat Clean books by Tosca Reno, I love her, I was all set for that and now Monday morning scale time I am like OMG should I just do low carb and see what happens? Should I do BFFM, OMG I am back and forth, so if you figure it out, let me know, LOL My husband said maybe you should do one thing and give it a month, and something that does not involve eating a jar of almonds in one sitting,LOL

So good luck hun, we gotta get it together with something, one thing being unemployed I am loving having loads of time at the gym, now if I could just get healed and feel better!
LOL@Tony, Amber!!! I agree with you on all fronts; fortunately, I was only ever a recreational smoker, so I'm hoping that this behavior won't stick.

Taking it a month at a time is a good idea. I need to get into a good pattern of losing; I'm sick of this up and down crap!!!

Hope you're healing up quickly!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #920
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dear S'Mores-flavored PopTarts:

You almost had me last night; it's true. When DH heated you up in the toaster at 9pm, your chocolaty, marshmallowy, graham crackery aroma assaulted my nostrils and paralyzed me with indecision. Should I, or shouldn't I? Will I or won't I?

You were a vixen, for sure, a temptress of the worst type: Ready to lure me close with the promise of sweetness and light, only to leave me hating myself in the morning.

Fortunately, wiser heads prevailed, and I escaped your clutches. I'm still up .6 today, but at least it's an honest .6, and my dignity remains in tact.

I will see you at our next show-down!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #921

OMG I love it, LOL Me and Jif needed a divorce, Jif with all its sugar and hydrogenated oils is still my crack pipe, and it had to go, LOL
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #922
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
OMG I love it, LOL Me and Jif needed a divorce, Jif with all its sugar and hydrogenated oils is still my crack pipe, and it had to go, LOL
Can you do almond butter or natural PB instead?

Made it through both workouts today, no problem. Not really looking forward to the next week of c25k, but it needs to be done.

I went back and looked at my journal from this time last year; how depressing. I was so close to where I want to be. I need to get back there. I know life stressors contributed to my derailment, but that's no excuse. I control my decisions, and I need to make good ones regardless of the circumstances.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #923
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Good Morning Christine~

Loved your "Ode to the Poptart"! I've been there myself. I wrote an ode to the cigarette right before I quit. Bad news, I sneaked in a few cigs last week while out of the house with DH. Now I can't stop thinking about them...

Your work out schedule sounds grueling, but you've always done well with that! Last year when you were close to goal you were kicking butt everyday. I know you can get there again, you are my hero.

Bejewelme, you are SO funny with the OMG's what will take the weight off...I can so relate. Re: the cigs, great JOB! Relapsing sucks, it's so hard to quit. I should NEVER touch cigs again, and yet they call to me everyday. I'm trying very hard to stop thinking about them again.

BTW, the coconut pancakes sound amazing!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #924
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Dear S'Mores-flavored PopTarts:

You almost had me last night; it's true. When DH heated you up in the toaster at 9pm, your chocolaty, marshmallowy, graham crackery aroma assaulted my nostrils and paralyzed me with indecision. Should I, or shouldn't I? Will I or won't I?

You were a vixen, for sure, a temptress of the worst type: Ready to lure me close with the promise of sweetness and light, only to leave me hating myself in the morning.

Fortunately, wiser heads prevailed, and I escaped your clutches. I'm still up .6 today, but at least it's an honest .6, and my dignity remains in tact.

I will see you at our next show-down!

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
:r ofl:
Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #925
Major LCF Poster!

I made the coconut flour pancakes today. Super yummy!

However, my three year old son got to the rest of the bag of coconut flour. He came out of the family room covered head to toe in flour. I was really hoping that it was the bisquick that he had gotten to. But no, it was the expensive coconut flour! Then of course my 6 year old daughter and our doberman got in the mix. I think that my dd was trying to "dust" the dog with flour.

At least the house smells tropical.

Hey, you gotta find something good in every thing right?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #926

Blonde- oh hun I tried and tried so many times, I will say this, Thursday will be 4 months and there is not a day that I don't think about it constantly and keep talking myself out of it, it is like an addictive drug I cant have a drag or one its all or nothing, OMG it sucks! My head is so full of talking out of stuff, dont smoke, dont eat, dont do this, dont do that that is why the only time I cant think is when I am at the gym, so I am glad for that!

Of course I could have natural PB or almond butter but it doesn't have that creamy sweet goodness of Jif, LOL I had my son take it and hide it I would stick my finger in and probably slurp 300 calories worth, good grief!!!

Christine dont look back only forward, you know what you need to do!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #927

Brown sugar cinnamon pop carbs for me....

Jiff....yes....no comparison
Old 05-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #928
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWANNABE View Post
I made the coconut flour pancakes today. Super yummy!

However, my three year old son got to the rest of the bag of coconut flour. He came out of the family room covered head to toe in flour. I was really hoping that it was the bisquick that he had gotten to. But no, it was the expensive coconut flour! Then of course my 6 year old daughter and our doberman got in the mix. I think that my dd was trying to "dust" the dog with flour.

At least the house smells tropical.

Hey, you gotta find something good in every thing right?
Sorry to laugh, but the image is priceless!!! And you're right: At least it wasn't something that smells terrible!

Workouts are on track so far this week. Swam Monday and today, lifted Monday and will lift today, ran/walked yesterday (9 minutes of running, 11 of walking; Week 2, Day 1 of C25K).

Trying to employ the BE's method of IF: Eating only between 2pm and 8pm. Didn't work out perfectly on Monday, but yesterday was good, and today will be better.

Can't believe I'm fighting to get out of the 190s again.

Totally my own fault, clearly, and I hope my current misery is enough to prevent me from doing this again. I ALREADY DID THE 180s FOR GOD'S SAKE.

Ok, I feel better. As Amber said, FORWARD.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #929
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post

Your work out schedule sounds grueling, but you've always done well with that! Last year when you were close to goal you were kicking butt everyday. I know you can get there again, you are my hero.
You are absolutely right: When I read back through my journal from this time last year, I was on the workout trifecta! I think being attentive to the exercise forces me to be attentive to my diet (and by attentive to I mean stringent!). I think that's really where the success came from because for me, it's mostly diet that makes the difference.

I appreciate your vote of confidence!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #930
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fitness Update

Workouts for this week so far are on track!

M: Swim, Lift (DONE)
T: Walk/Run (DONE)
W: Lift (DONE, plus swimming!)
R: Walk/Run
F: Walk/Run
S: Lift

Hoping for a good second half of the week as well!