Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #631
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Tri-fecta Friday was a HUGE SUCCESS! I wish I could work out like this all the time!! I need a job that permits three hours of exercise/day! (But I don't like people all that much, so personal training is out. )

I don't know about the calories, Dawn, but you might be right! I find that I'm eating less later in the day, so maybe I need to focus on having a solid, well-rounded dinner. I tend to just pick at things here and there without really eating something substantial. It's a bad habit!

RIGHT NOW, however, I have bacon in the oven, and I chopped up some onion and green pepper, and tomato, and I'm about to get my omelet on big time. I picked up some fancy cheeses yesterday (I don't even remember what they're called. One is some kind of Brit cheese that includes onion and peppers...delicious!), which I will also add to the mix. Then I'm settling in for the afternoon with something on Netflix. How is THAT for a day off???

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #632
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
How is THAT for a day off???

...dayum FINE! I hope you totally enjoyed!
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #633
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
I'd probably burn a few just watching you do all of that! Wow girl!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #634
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Totally enjoyed it, indeed! Love those exercise endorphins!

Still at 177.2, though. Can't seem to get to the other side of 175. It was my goal to do that by the end of the month, so we'll see. I need to do a better job of eating regularly, I think. Exercise is obviously not the problem.

Funny thing about exercise: DH was looking at my FB pics the other day and saw me tagged in a picture from a birthday party in February. He said that I clearly lost weight since that time, and I said that by the numbers, not really. I'm pretty much where I was back then. But I do think I look different, and I attribute that to the exercise. My body is higher and tighter, and I see some muscle definition. Progress!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #635

That in itself is worth it all! WTG! I'm thinking it is the cal.s too. Try to up them with good foods and see what happens. Can't hurt. May help. I hear ya on the picking/nibbling. I have to remind myself to sit and eat a real meal! LC of course!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #636
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Just stopping by with and !!!

Go Christine!!!!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #637
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Another day of freedom for me tomorrow; DH and I have lots to do around the house. Not much exercise for me today; still recovering from Friday, I think. Hoping to hit the gym/zumba tomorrow, but we'll see. Back full force on Tuesday, for sure. I convinced two of my friends to start meeting me at the gym on Tuesday afternoons, which worked out beautifully for me last week. I really didn't want to go, but since I had cajoled them into going, I felt I had to. So it was good motivation for all of us!

Maybe I got a little exercise today. Does rocking out to this song count? I dare you to listen to it without wanting to get up and shake your groove thing. Even if you don't understand the lyrics, you will enjoy it. Basically, "pegate" means "get close to you," so the narrator wants a woman to stop "following around" a guy who can't show her the proper love: Olvidalo, aqui estoy yo.....forget him, I'm right here!

Love it, love it!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #638
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quick review of my breakfast experiment: Turnip hashbrowns.

I've grown to love turnips after making that turnip au gratin recipe, and I thought they would make lovely hashbrowns. So I zipped them through the food processor, chopped up some onion and garlic, and browned it all in a pan. They didn't crisp up very well, but I did enjoy them. They're sweeter than you might think when cooked, and overall, I give them a 7/10. I'd make them again if I were feeling like I needed a hashbrown fix.

I'm also thinking of using them as the base of a recipe my friend from the south used to make. We lovingly call it "hashbrown sh*t," and it includes frozen hash browns, condensed soup, sour cream, cheese, onion, and I forget what else. I bet I could LC the heck out of that recipe. I don't really cook with condensed soups, anyway, so I could do without that. Sour cream would bind it (and maybe some egg). I'm going to work on that one.

P.S. Still at 177, but TOM is on its way out. Maybe I can be below 175 by 5/31? Here's hoping.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #639
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
One of these days I am going to have to buy a turnip. I have never tried them. I wonder if there is a way to make them crispier so they are more like hashbrowns.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #640

Let us know how that comes out! Love new LC versions
Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #641
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
LOL, sounds like a recipe we used to make called "hobo potatoes" But no soup. Sounds so yummy, and with all that other stuff to "hide" the turnips, no one will ever know they're not potatoes!!
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #642
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will definitely let you know how it goes when I make it! Regarding the regular hashbrowns, I was thinking that perhaps I'll try slicing them thin next time instead of shredding them. That might make a difference in the crispiness.

Wearing pants today that I bought about two weeks ago. They've a very small 12. Funny how much sizes vary from brand to brand, store to store. Most of my 12s really gap in the waist these days, but these seem to be a bit smaller, so they fit perfectly in the waist. Of course, that means they're more snug in the lower regions, which isn't exactly my "style" (I have so aged out of anything tight!), but when I put them on 2 weeks ago and asked DH, he said they were fine (he's a pretty good judge of such things. He'll tell me that they're "fine for normal people but not for you," meaning that he knows how important it is to me to be professional and appropriate at all times! Maybe I lean a bit to the extreme on that. Yeah. I definitely do), but they didn't quite feel fine, ya know? So I put them on today, and guess what? They feel fine.

So even though the scale seems to be stuck (broken? Low battery? Just plain stupid? ), I do feel some progress, so that's motivating, at least. And I have a summer full of fitness activities ahead of me, so I'm going to focus on that.

Zumba and weight lifting last night. I am getting strong........I can feel it, and I love it.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:34 AM   #643
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
I will definitely let you know how it goes when I make it! Regarding the regular hashbrowns, I was thinking that perhaps I'll try slicing them thin next time instead of shredding them. That might make a difference in the crispiness.

Wearing pants today that I bought about two weeks ago. They've a very small 12. Funny how much sizes vary from brand to brand, store to store. Most of my 12s really gap in the waist these days, but these seem to be a bit smaller, so they fit perfectly in the waist. Of course, that means they're more snug in the lower regions, which isn't exactly my "style" (I have so aged out of anything tight!), but when I put them on 2 weeks ago and asked DH, he said they were fine (he's a pretty good judge of such things. He'll tell me that they're "fine for normal people but not for you," meaning that he knows how important it is to me to be professional and appropriate at all times! Maybe I lean a bit to the extreme on that. Yeah. I definitely do), but they didn't quite feel fine, ya know? So I put them on today, and guess what? They feel fine.

So even though the scale seems to be stuck (broken? Low battery? Just plain stupid? ), I do feel some progress, so that's motivating, at least. And I have a summer full of fitness activities ahead of me, so I'm going to focus on that.

Zumba and weight lifting last night. I am getting strong........I can feel it, and I love it.
That is awesome about your pants! I know how you feel about not liking anything tight on your legs. I have been like that since I was a teenager and still remain that way but it is really hard to find jeans or pants that don't cling. You are shaped just like I am and buying pants is so hard. I have been that way forever.

I envy you about all the working out you do. I wish that I could get myself back into it and start seeing changes again. I need to restart Jillian. I fell off the Jillian wagon around the beginning of April and have not gotten back on it.

As far as the scale, have you tried increasing your calories? I really think that is part of your problem because I know that you work out a ton.

Dawn

The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:40 AM   #644
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Dawn! You know, I did add some coconut oil candies back into my life, and I almost feel like doing that did more harm than good. I just don't feel like I have the right caloric balance yet. I add more, and I feel like I add too many. I'm careful about calories, and I feel like I don't have enough. It's as though I feel like I'll know when it's right.....and right now, it's definitely not right!!!

At the early part of this journey, I was eating a real breakfast: Eggs, bacon, etc., and I feel like I had the most success then (granted, I had much more to lose), so I wonder if I need to start going back to that. Maybe once DS is out of school? Right now, eating a full breakfast at 6:30am just does not sound appealing....
Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #645
Major LCF Poster!

That is funny that you said that about the early part of your journey because I have often thought that too about myself. I used to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, then a decent lunch, snack and dinner and I was losing better. That was for about the first month or two and then I started losing a little here and there once every six months. I am nearing the 6 month part again so I am hopefully going to lose a few more pounds soon and get into the 140's.

If you are going to add calories back into your life I would suggest they be protein and some carbs (even if they are things like almonds) but stay away from increasing the candies. Or if you are going to use the coconut oil just add it back into your shakes.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #646
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
Congrats on getting into those pants and feeling good about it! I too shy away from stuff thats too tight because I fear that others will think it looks funny on me, despite the fact thats how its "supposed to be worn".

Also, I have been so intrigued by the coconut bark/coco crack candy but haven't made it yet because I think it might send me overboard. You have amazing will power!
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #647

WooHoo on the pants Wonderful way to see progress!

I think we are so used to wearing loose items trying to "hide" it, that we have problems accepting that we don't need to do that now.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #648
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Oh I just love fitting into clothes like that! Congrats!

I think we often need to go back to basics and focus on real foods- eggs and bacon for breakfast etc.

When we have a lot lose, 3 eggs and 3 bacon is great, but then when we're closer to goal, we have got to make it 2 eggs and 2 bacon or even 1 egg and 1 bacon or just 2 eggs fried in butter. Know what I mean?

In any case, I do well on higher amounts of fat, but when I overdo it, such as an OMM (2 TB of oil or butter) on top of my high-fat diet, it stalls me. So you will figure out what your thresholds are....it took me 2 months of experimenting before I nailed it. It will happen!!! =)

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 AM   #649

Have a great day hun!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:00 AM   #650
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, everyone! I had so many comments on my appearance yesterday; it was surreal. DH said that's what happens when I wear clothing that actually fits.

I am definitely going back to a real breakfast. Another problem I've identified is that I've been using lower-quality whey protein powder that I picked up in the supermarket (confession time: While I typically have no problem paying for high-quality items, if I know I can get them cheaper, I will go to almost any length to do that. Case in point: I'm a "gold member" or something at GNC, which means that I can get items at a discount during the first week of each month. Well, I missed it for May, so I didn't get my usual protein powder this month [it's $60] and have been relying on the $10 wpp from the supermarket. Coincidence that my loss has been nonexistent this month? I don't think so). So anyway, come June 1 (I am stubborn), I am going to pick up my usual WPP and probably use my shake as a lunch option. Maybe. If I still don't lose well, I'll drop it altogether (even though I hate to do that).

Food yesterday was as follows:

B: Shake
S: Shake
L: 1 C egg salad
S: cheese
D: 10 hot wings, grilled chicken breast, lettuce, tomato

Exercise was zumba and lifting (quick lifting session, as I had to race across town to DS's baseball game.......aaaaannnnnd his father [my ex] ended up bringing him 20 minutes late, anyway. Thanks, buddy!).

Taking a rest day today because I'm having lunch with a friend who is considering a divorce.

Tomorrow I'll hit the pool and gym, and then Zumba on Friday. I seriously can't believe Memorial Day weekend is upon us. DS is out of school next Friday already!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 AM   #651
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycitygirl View Post
Have a great day hun!
And you as well!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:39 AM   #652
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A little progress would be nice, but no. Food yesterday:

S: Iced coffee w/ cream
L: Egg salad
S: Iced coffee
D: Chicken, green peppers, garlic, mushrooms
S: Atkins coconut bar

I need to eat cleaner, I think. My ideal menu is this:

B: Eggs/bacon
L: Shake with high quality protein powder
D: Meat and vegetables

June 1!

Yesterday I ran around like an idiot after work only to discover (two fields and a phone call later) that DS did NOT have baseball practice last night. Irritating. Game tonight, so I hope the weather holds up.

Swimming this morning, then lifting later in the day. Tomorrow it's swimming and zumba, and zumba on Saturday.

Really tired today given that I could not fall asleep for the life of me. Note to self: Do not drink iced coffee after 6pm!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #653
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One of the things I've noticed since going back to swimming is how easy it is now. I guess when there's less resistance in the form of GIRTH, it becomes much easier to pull oneself through the water. I love it. I swim for only 20 minutes (time issue, mostly!), but it's enough to get my heart rate up and work the muscles.

Not sure how Zumba is going to be today; the gym has been so hot lately! I was dripping wet on Tuesday, and we're probably in for more of that (or worse) today and tomorrow. I wish I had the cajones to go sleeveless. I did wear a sleeveless dress at work this week (another today) and it was fine, but I just can't workout that way. Too much jiggling for my taste.

Food yesterday, not stellar:

S: Iced coffee with half and half
L: leftover dinner (chicken, peppers, mushrooms)
S: Iced coffee with half and half
D: Atkins bar
S: a few bites of tuna as I was making today's lunch, a few pieces of turkey/cheese/mayo, a few almonds

Going to limit the iced coffee today, delicious as it is!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #654

LOL about your story of searching the fields! I guess we all do that at some time! We are too busy these days

Never thought about the swimming thing...very true...Can't wait to see what I can do this year now!!!

Have a great day hun!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:33 AM   #655
Major LCF Poster!

i vote for you wearing what you want!! you look terrific!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #656
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Jan!

Just found this "before" picture! OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. And this wasn't the worst of it. (My friend's face is blurred out. I'm the big fat one on the right.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5770_1075184134351_1668647953_189957_6146338_n.jpg (58.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #657
Major LCF Poster!

That doesn't even look like you at all aside from being heavier you are wearing your glasses. I have some before pictures too that disgust me.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #658

What a transformation! Look how far you've come!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #659
Major LCF Poster!

how wonderful that you were active then, and active now! i'll bet you can dance the night away even better because of all your effort these last few years, lovely lady!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #660
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, ladies! I think I am over my shock today. I know I have a long way to go, but seeing the photo evidence helps me remember how far I've come.

Zumba this morning......they actually turned the a/c on in the gym, so that was a blessing! I also managed a quick weight-lifting session. For the four full weeks of May, I did 16 weight sessions and almost 1000 cardio minutes. Yesssss. I broke the goals I set (15 weight sessions, 800 cardio minutes). Now if only the scale would cooperate. I did see 176 flickering around on the scale (AGAIN), so maybe I'll be seeing some drops soon.

Going to have some food challenges this weekend. Baseball game tonight, but I think I can stay away from that stuff; it doesn't appeal to me (except the ice cream. I always want ice cream). Tomorrow is a picnic, and my father's wife called with the menu: BBQ chicken, hamburgers, fruit, baked beans, chips.....and a pile of other stuff I can't/won't eat (I don't really do ground beef yet. It was a hamburger that made me violently ill when I was 19 and put me off red meat for nearly 20 years). She wants me to bring potato or macaroni salad, but I'm bringing a cheese platter and deviled eggs instead. I'm a terrible party guest.

Looking forward to having off Tuesday and next Friday. Two more tri-fecta days? Maybe. Zumba and the gym for sure on Tuesday; not sure about the pool, though. We have a dude coming over to look at our security system, so I guess I'm locked to his schedule. We'll see!

Today's food:
B: Pepper, tomato, onion, garlic, cheese omelet with 2 strips bacon; iced coffee
L (post workout): Spicy chicken taco salad; iced coffee with HH
D: Probably leftovers from last night, and NO BASEBALL FOOD

Totally OT: I just picked up deodorant and mouthwash at DS's request. I guess we're moving into the "increased attention to personal grooming" stage (he's 10). I don't think I'm ready for this.

Last edited by ChristineCQ; 05-28-2011 at 10:40 AM..