Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!
 
JK130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern CA
Posts: 2,118
Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
Christine, I hope you find that journaling is fun. Your weight loss journey is inspiring!

Congratulations, Jan
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessdmw33 View Post
Christine on the weight loss again! I am so jealous of you. Red wine once in a while is not bad at all. I believe for most what happens with the alcohol is that it can send them on the munchies. I had three diet pepsi and jack's yesterday at lunch (yes you read that right). My boss took me and a couple board members took me out for lunch as a belated birthday. I usually cannot drink anymore than a glass of wine anymore because I end up loopy. Even drinking wine anymore sends me into a headache the next morning. It was fun to be able to do that but it sent me home at 3p.m. tired. I am sure for me there is no diuretic loss on the scale. lol

What part of your foot is hurting? Is it the tendon right near your heal or it is the tendon that goes down along the side of your heel into your inner ankle area that extends to your arch? If it is that one, I have some advise for you because that is the one that I messed up doing to Couch25k plan and it took over 2 1/2 years to heal. Not fun.
Thanks, Dawn!! Love that you had the opportunity for a 3-drink lunch! That always feels so sinful, doesn't it? I hope you had fun. And I hear you on the "loopiness." That one glass of wine was plenty for me last night!!

Regarding my foot, the pain is on the bottom, right near the heel, toward the inside of my arch. I spoke with a trainer yesterday who said it was related to plantar fasciitis, most likely; is that what you had?? I know you have been struggling with that foot pain! She suggested stretches, ice massage, and Motrin. How is your pain these days?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
Christine, I hope you find that journaling is fun. Your weight loss journey is inspiring!

Congratulations, Jan
Coming from someone as inspiring as you, Jan, that's a huge compliment, and I thank you! I'm finding that journaling does help me, especially because one day I hope to look back on this journey to see how far I've come!
__________________
"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." Robert Collier

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!
 
Princessdmw33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Western New York
Posts: 1,813
Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine1973 View Post
Thanks, Dawn!! Love that you had the opportunity for a 3-drink lunch! That always feels so sinful, doesn't it? I hope you had fun. And I hear you on the "loopiness." That one glass of wine was plenty for me last night!!

Regarding my foot, the pain is on the bottom, right near the heel, toward the inside of my arch. I spoke with a trainer yesterday who said it was related to plantar fasciitis, most likely; is that what you had?? I know you have been struggling with that foot pain! She suggested stretches, ice massage, and Motrin. How is your pain these days?




Coming from someone as inspiring as you, Jan, that's a huge compliment, and I thank you! I'm finding that journaling does help me, especially because one day I hope to look back on this journey to see how far I've come!
Jan is the sweetest!


No what I had was an injury to the posterior tibial tendon. The posterior muscle attaches to the back of the shin bone and the posterior tibial tendon connects this muscle to the bones of the foot. The tendon passes down the back of the leg, not far from the Achilles tendon, then turns under the prominence of the inner side of the ankle. Bet that you got more information then you needed . I hurt it almost 3 years ago and it took almost 2 1/2 years to get to the point where I could walk without pain. This injury was the main reason I gained weight because I became sedentary. The doctor advised me to ride a stationary bike but at the time I wasn't going to the Y to do that and really hated going there so I never went. I had a treadmill in my house which made it so much easier.

I have ran a couple laps this week at the Y on the track and have done it without any pain. I also have been doing quite a bit of walking there and again no pain. I think that it is finally healed. Surgery would have been extensive and a long recovery period.
__________________
____________________________

Dawn

The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member
 
dogman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 233
Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
christine1973, thanks for the link to the info about the "primal blueprint" . Mark Sisson has a very interesting site with the kind of things I want to check out.
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
190.6

Helllllllo. Now that is motivating. So close to the 180s I can feel it!!! It has been a good week for loss around here! I can't wait to geek out and analyze my spreadsheet at the end of the month!

Today I am thinking about my responses to people who comment on my weight loss. I noticed that I always say this or something like it: "Thank you for noticing. I am working very hard."

That last part is -- I guess -- my unconscious desire to make it plain that this process is NEVER EASY. I think too many people look at before/after pictures of people who have lost weight or see people in their lives who have lost weight and fail to realize that every pound, every day, every moment can be a challenge.

I want to say, though, that this hasn't been particularly difficult for me, personally, BUT that is only because I am at the point in my life where I have the time and resources needed to make it work. I don't have small children who need my constant care (DS is almost 10 and he spends part of his time at his dad's), I don't have a high-maintenance husband, I have a career and a business that I love, and I have access to FREE exercise opportunities. I am not caring for elderly parents. I am in good health. The list goes on and on and on. I believe that the MAIN reason I am successful is that all of these other pieces of my life are in order. Thinking about nutrition and fitness takes up a lot of headspace for me, and I feel fortunate that I can dedicate that time to it. But I know that everything in life is temporary and that one day these circumstances could change (hence the reason I am so committed to being fit by forty).

Anyway, I want people to know -- especially those who haven't been through the process of weight loss -- that it's a battle. I don't ever want anyone to walk away from me thinking it's an easy thing to do. For the vast majority of people, it clearly is not.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Blonde with a Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,371
Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Hey Christine! Just stopping by to learn more about my friend in the support group we've forged. So much of what you are doing and saying makes sense to me. The part about not believing that exercise is the be all that ends all to weight loss. I know it's very important but without changes in diet it can only get us so far. I like the way exercise makes me feel better in my head. lol

Your lost inches is really impressive. I'm going to measure myself so I can get a real idea of how I'm doing...the scale is so fickle sometimes. Have a great Sunday!
__________________
Whatever the heck works Diet~2014
Currently~ JUDDD
3/19~ 229 ~oops
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: State of perpetual confusion
Posts: 13
Gallery: wellonmyway
Stats: 218/212/199 First Goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11/3/10
Congrats on flirting with the next decade!
wellonmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
MagieDen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,387
Gallery: MagieDen
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine1973 View Post
190.6

Helllllllo. Now that is motivating. So close to the 180s I can feel it!!! It has been a good week for loss around here! I can't wait to geek out and analyze my spreadsheet at the end of the month!

Today I am thinking about my responses to people who comment on my weight loss. I noticed that I always say this or something like it: "Thank you for noticing. I am working very hard."

That last part is -- I guess -- my unconscious desire to make it plain that this process is NEVER EASY. I think too many people look at before/after pictures of people who have lost weight or see people in their lives who have lost weight and fail to realize that every pound, every day, every moment can be a challenge.

I want to say, though, that this hasn't been particularly difficult for me, personally, BUT that is only because I am at the point in my life where I have the time and resources needed to make it work. I don't have small children who need my constant care (DS is almost 10 and he spends part of his time at his dad's), I don't have a high-maintenance husband, I have a career and a business that I love, and I have access to FREE exercise opportunities. I am not caring for elderly parents. I am in good health. The list goes on and on and on. I believe that the MAIN reason I am successful is that all of these other pieces of my life are in order. Thinking about nutrition and fitness takes up a lot of headspace for me, and I feel fortunate that I can dedicate that time to it. But I know that everything in life is temporary and that one day these circumstances could change (hence the reason I am so committed to being fit by forty).

Anyway, I want people to know -- especially those who haven't been through the process of weight loss -- that it's a battle. I don't ever want anyone to walk away from me thinking it's an easy thing to do. For the vast majority of people, it clearly is not.
Well said!
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!
 
Princessdmw33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Western New York
Posts: 1,813
Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine1973 View Post
190.6

Helllllllo. Now that is motivating. So close to the 180s I can feel it!!! It has been a good week for loss around here! I can't wait to geek out and analyze my spreadsheet at the end of the month!

Today I am thinking about my responses to people who comment on my weight loss. I noticed that I always say this or something like it: "Thank you for noticing. I am working very hard."

That last part is -- I guess -- my unconscious desire to make it plain that this process is NEVER EASY. I think too many people look at before/after pictures of people who have lost weight or see people in their lives who have lost weight and fail to realize that every pound, every day, every moment can be a challenge.

I want to say, though, that this hasn't been particularly difficult for me, personally, BUT that is only because I am at the point in my life where I have the time and resources needed to make it work. I don't have small children who need my constant care (DS is almost 10 and he spends part of his time at his dad's), I don't have a high-maintenance husband, I have a career and a business that I love, and I have access to FREE exercise opportunities. I am not caring for elderly parents. I am in good health. The list goes on and on and on. I believe that the MAIN reason I am successful is that all of these other pieces of my life are in order. Thinking about nutrition and fitness takes up a lot of headspace for me, and I feel fortunate that I can dedicate that time to it. But I know that everything in life is temporary and that one day these circumstances could change (hence the reason I am so committed to being fit by forty).

Anyway, I want people to know -- especially those who haven't been through the process of weight loss -- that it's a battle. I don't ever want anyone to walk away from me thinking it's an easy thing to do. For the vast majority of people, it clearly is not.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
christine1973, thanks for the link to the info about the "primal blueprint" . Mark Sisson has a very interesting site with the kind of things I want to check out.
You are most welcome! I hope it's helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Hey Christine! Just stopping by to learn more about my friend in the support group we've forged. So much of what you are doing and saying makes sense to me. The part about not believing that exercise is the be all that ends all to weight loss. I know it's very important but without changes in diet it can only get us so far. I like the way exercise makes me feel better in my head. lol

Your lost inches is really impressive. I'm going to measure myself so I can get a real idea of how I'm doing...the scale is so fickle sometimes. Have a great Sunday!
Thanks for coming over! I agree that exercise is good for the head as well! I love that when I'm in the gym or doing zumba I can't focus on anything except the task at hand. It's good stress relief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellonmyway View Post
Congrats on flirting with the next decade!
Thanks!!! I am optimistic that I will meet my goal of seeing 18X by Dec. 1!!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:06 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
191.6

I just realized that it is sixteen weeks TODAY since I changed my life.

When I started, I thought to myself, "Time is going to pass no matter what. You have a choice: You can be healthy in another month, year, or decade, or you can be this....exactly what you are or worse. What is it going to be?"

Clearly, I made the right choice. Sixteen weeks, down 43 lbs and 30 inches, no food cravings, high energy, and complete control over my nutrition.

That last part is key for me. Before I joined this board, I never knew that there were other people like me, people who would carefully consider how many pieces of dessert they could eat without raising eyebrows. People who were never satiated. People who felt they could not stop. People who -- intellectually -- knew they should not do it but who for some reason couldn't help but help themselves to MORE.

I always thought it was a character flaw. Having never experienced addiction before (fortunately), I just never put it together that my eating habits mirrored the process of addiction. Eat more, want more. Eat more, want more. The cycle continued for years and years.

I don't underestimate the relationship between emotion and food, but honestly, my experience has been mostly that of a physical dependence on sugar. I didn't eat because I was trying to fill some void in my psyche (though I don't discount that phenomenon at all. That is exactly the problem for some); I ate because I was addicted to the rush of it. And now that I have broken that addiction, I can see it for what it was.

The process of recovery means staying mindful of what I'm eating. Sixteen weeks in and facing the holiday season, I feel that I am in complete control. I know that I can sustain this pattern, and I expect that the next six weeks will be further proof of that. Sustaining good habits through the holidays means that there's no reason I can't sustain them for the rest of my life.

Last edited by ChristineCQ; 11-22-2010 at 04:07 AM..
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!
 
JK130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern CA
Posts: 2,118
Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
You ARE a wise woman. While I'm thinking about all that you said, what resonates with me is the statement about "character flaw". I think that so many of us feel that way. Sadly.

And, recognizing that, I very, very carefully raised my daughters to have a healthy relationship with healthy foods and platy of vigorous exercise. Now, as adults, each of them is a little overweight, but, in spite of their upbringing, I see that they too struggle with feeling bad about themselves in regards to weight.

Addiction is nasty. I congratulate you for overcoming the monster for now. Have you changed your parenting in the eating and exercising arena in recent weeks too?

Jan
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Blonde with a Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,371
Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine1973 View Post
191.6

I just realized that it is sixteen weeks TODAY since I changed my life.

When I started, I thought to myself, "Time is going to pass no matter what. You have a choice: You can be healthy in another month, year, or decade, or you can be this....exactly what you are or worse. What is it going to be?"

Clearly, I made the right choice. Sixteen weeks, down 43 lbs and 30 inches, no food cravings, high energy, and complete control over my nutrition.

That last part is key for me. Before I joined this board, I never knew that there were other people like me, people who would carefully consider how many pieces of dessert they could eat without raising eyebrows. People who were never satiated. People who felt they could not stop. People who -- intellectually -- knew they should not do it but who for some reason couldn't help but help themselves to MORE.

I always thought it was a character flaw. Having never experienced addiction before (fortunately), I just never put it together that my eating habits mirrored the process of addiction. Eat more, want more. Eat more, want more. The cycle continued for years and years.

I don't underestimate the relationship between emotion and food, but honestly, my experience has been mostly that of a physical dependence on sugar. I didn't eat because I was trying to fill some void in my psyche (though I don't discount that phenomenon at all. That is exactly the problem for some); I ate because I was addicted to the rush of it. And now that I have broken that addiction, I can see it for what it was.

The process of recovery means staying mindful of what I'm eating. Sixteen weeks in and facing the holiday season, I feel that I am in complete control. I know that I can sustain this pattern, and I expect that the next six weeks will be further proof of that. Sustaining good habits through the holidays means that there's no reason I can't sustain them for the rest of my life.
Just Awesome, Christine! Rings so many bells with me (and many others, I'll bet). Recovery is a powerful word and apropos to any addiction. I have used food as a drug for years. I'm still finding my way. I believe I need to accept that there is no substitute for my addiction. I can't replace it, like you I need to break it. You're pretty smart, lady.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
Have you changed your parenting in the eating and exercising arena in recent weeks too?

Jan
Honestly, no. We've always been a healthy household; my struggles were my own. DS makes excellent nutritional choices for himself at almost 10 y.o., and I'm thankful for that. He was raised on lots of fruits and vegetables, and that's what he prefers even to this day (his Halloween candy still sits in a drawer right now!). After school, he'll ask for some chips and salsa with a pear, some black olives, and maybe a slice of turkey breast. He tells me that at lunch, the kids say things like, "Ew! You eat cucumbers/peppers/olives/pears/whatever?" I asked him what they eat in their lunches, and he said, "Junk, Mom. Just junk!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Just Awesome, Christine! Rings so many bells with me (and many others, I'll bet). Recovery is a powerful word and apropos to any addiction. I have used food as a drug for years. I'm still finding my way. I believe I need to accept that there is no substitute for my addiction. I can't replace it, like you I need to break it. You're pretty smart, lady.
You're pretty smart, yourself, my friend! You are exactly right when you say that you can't replace it. The only way out is right through the middle.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
191.2

I jumped on a water thread yesterday and tried to be mindful of drinking water all day. It worked! I kept seeing the thread and remembering to fill up my cup. Then DH and I went to wing night last night, and my wings seemed to be extra salty (butter garlic! Delicious!), so I was up at 2am guzzling more water.

I can see how drinking more water prompts the body to flush out its reserves. I need to keep remembering to drink it.

In two separate incidents yesterday, people told me I looked "20 years younger." Really? How old do you think I am? Once I dye this gray out of my hair, I'm afraid I might look 12!



Not likely. In the second incident, I was meeting with a young woman on a separate matter, and suddenly the conversation turned toward diet and nutrition. It was like she turned into an investigative reporter at that point, firing off questions one after the next about my eating habits, exercise routine, sleeping, etc. It was quite comical. I felt like I was under investigation.

But I understand that people want to know. I'm in a rapid-fire Facebook discussion with a woman from Zumba who ALSO wants to know. I think they're disappointed when they learn how simple it is. Give up sugar? I could never do that, they say. What do you EAT?



Mostly small children and roadkill, I say. But again I understand the reaction; sugar is the only socially-sanctioned addiction, really, and we built our whole culture around it at this point.

If people could see how much better off they are without it, they'd be dropping it from their lives in droves.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Blonde with a Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,371
Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
"In two separate incidents yesterday, people told me I looked "20 years younger." Really? How old do you think I am? Once I dye this gray out of my hair, I'm afraid I might look 12!"

Oh! That made me laugh so loud my family demanded to know what was so funny. That was a good one! In a vain attempt to look younger myself, I got my hair cut yesterday in a "layered bob"...I love it...still look my age, just fresher I guess. I know what you mean about people wanting to know. I have a friend who is working so hard to exercise and eat better, she looks great but doesn't want to talk about it for fear of "jinxing" herself.

So now I want to know...do you mean no sugar (as in sweets etc) or no sugar as in breads pastas etc? Or something else? Just a hint.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Gallery: ezrida
Plantar fasciitis symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine1973 View Post
Regarding my foot, the pain is on the bottom, right near the heel, toward the inside of my arch.
Hi
I have plantar fasciitis and my symptoms are about the same!
I think you should wait a few days and if the pain doesn't come back - do not worry about it. If it does come back you should get a professional diagnosis. You can find out about plantar fasciitis symptoms in the following website:
Plantar Fasciitis Symptoms
The more symptoms you have the chance is you might have plantar fasciitis - go to the doc!
Take care & Good luck
ezrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
"In two separate incidents yesterday, people told me I looked "20 years younger." Really? How old do you think I am? Once I dye this gray out of my hair, I'm afraid I might look 12!"

Oh! That made me laugh so loud my family demanded to know what was so funny. That was a good one! In a vain attempt to look younger myself, I got my hair cut yesterday in a "layered bob"...I love it...still look my age, just fresher I guess. I know what you mean about people wanting to know. I have a friend who is working so hard to exercise and eat better, she looks great but doesn't want to talk about it for fear of "jinxing" herself.

So now I want to know...do you mean no sugar (as in sweets etc) or no sugar as in breads pastas etc? Or something else? Just a hint.
I'm glad you found that amusing! I have to remember to tell DH because -- since he is younger than I am -- we have ongoing jokes about my age (he's only three years younger, but you know...!). And as for my "no sugar" explanation, I say that to keep it simple. I'm just doing regular ol' low-carb, but I still feel there's too much stigma there for people to really understand it. Even in the face of my 40+ lb loss, I think people would not understand what this plan really entails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrida View Post
Hi
I have plantar fasciitis and my symptoms are about the same!
I think you should wait a few days and if the pain doesn't come back - do not worry about it. If it does come back you should get a professional diagnosis. You can find out about plantar fasciitis symptoms in the following website:
Plantar Fasciitis Symptoms
The more symptoms you have the chance is you might have plantar fasciitis - go to the doc!
Take care & Good luck
Thank you for the link and the advice! I spoke briefly with a trainer, and she seems to think it's PF (no examination). My concern about seeing a professional is that there isn't much that can be done about it. I looked up the exercises, and the trainer recommended ice massages and motrin, but I imagine there isn't much more I can do, right? I will say that rolling a ball under my foot each night has helped tremendously!! I don't have nearly as much pain in the morning when I do that.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:22 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
190.8

How many days until December 1?? I think I could see 189.9 by then!

I had a terrible day yesterday. So tired -- even yawning through Zumba! What the deuce? At the end of the day, I typed a long email to DH complaining about how tired I was (really unusual for me) and that I felt terribly overwhelmed by everything I had to accomplish work-wise in the next six months. I was feeling weepy and just very un-Christinelike, so I tried to tick off the possible contributors: Was I eating enough calories? Fat? Yes and yes. Was I upset about something? Our schedule with DS and his dad is changing a bit for the next few weeks due to Thanksgiving; was I worked up about that? Not really. DS will be with us for a few weekends in a row in Dec., so his being with his dad a few weekends in a row in November instead of e/o weekend is ok with me.

Then I pulled up my spreadsheet to enter my weight and realized that TOM is lurking around the corner. Aha.

I have a colleague who does fascinating research on sleep, and get this: In the days leading up to TOM, most women are unable to reach Delta sleep, the deepest stage of sleep where most of the restorative rest occurs. Our bodies repair themselves, our brains reorganize and integrate new information, and our emotions are typically stabilized by Delta sleep.

Now if TOM prevents Delta sleep, isn't it clear WHY we experience PMS? Food cravings linked to fatigue. Emotional upheaval linked to fatigue. Fatigue linked to fatigue.

Knowing that it's something I can't control certainly doesn't fix the problem, but it gives me the right perspective. It'll pass (already today I feel better), and soon I'll be back to my Delta!

Also, today I realized how long it took me to get to 190 (from around 234, maybe a bit lower) back in 2003-04, my first LC go-round. It took seven months, and I attribute the change to everything I mentioned previously: Back in 2003, I had a toddler, a VERY high maintenance (now ex!!) husband, and a crumbling marriage. I also used a lot of substitutes: Sugar-free this, low-carb that. All of those factors clearly contributed to my slower loss rate. When I started LC again this year, I was afraid of the "golden opportunity" theory, that I had used up my chance to be successful. But as it turns out, it's not about "shocking" my body; it's about giving my body what it needs day in and day out.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
190.2

That scale was flickering over to 189.something; I saw it!!! Maybe later this weekend, which would be fabulous!!

And so begins the six-week food-fest that is the holiday season. I'm thankful that we keep our holidays small and that -- for the most part -- I am in control of the food. Today's menu is simple: Turkey, stuffing (filling, dressing, whatever people call it in other places), mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, broccoli, deviled eggs, gravy, corn, apple pie, and pumpkin pie. Clearly I'll be sticking with eggs, meat, and vegetables, which is just fine. I really have no desire for anything else. I already know what everything carb-loaded tastes like and, more importantly, I know how I'd feel if I ate it. Therefore, today is like any other day for me. I'll get my protein shake together soon, and that'll last me until our feast at 1. Then it's leftovers after that!

I hope my brine experiment works out today. I like experimenting with new recipes on major holidays....a masochistic streak, perhaps, but so far, so good!

ETA: I keep forgetting to mention Ghiradelli's Midnight Reverie. Oh my deliciousness!!! I picked some up the day I was having it rough (Tuesday?), and I don't know if it was the chocolate itself or the caffeine or the fact that I ate 2 squares of it while at home, but it made me feel a LOT better! It's 86% cacao, dark and dirty, just how I love chocolate (and beer. And men, for that matter. That's a running joke between DH and me. He's a broody, artsy, reflective, quiet type to my outgoing, upbeat, take-on-the-world type, so we always joke that the theme in my life is "dark and bitter": Chocolate, beer, coffee, men). Anyway, the important part of this discussion is that the WHOLE BAR has something like 30 g carbs and 10 g fiber for a total of 20 net.....for the whole thing! I eat a quarter at a time, so it's 5g per serving (think two squares), which -- for a delightful treat -- is remarkable. If you like dark and dirty chocolate, you must pick some up!

Last edited by ChristineCQ; 11-25-2010 at 04:35 AM..
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 154
Gallery: forgetmenot
Stats: 154.6/144.1/135.0
WOE: 40/40/20
Start Date: September 1, 2010
I LOVE Ghiradelli Midnight Reverie! I can never find it though! I think it tastes better than the Lindt 85, but Lindt is easier to find so that's what I usually go for.
forgetmenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:35 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetmenot View Post
I LOVE Ghiradelli Midnight Reverie! I can never find it though! I think it tastes better than the Lindt 85, but Lindt is easier to find so that's what I usually go for.
I ended up getting the last one! I didn't realize it was hard to find, but I can totally see why!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
191.4

Not surprising (hello, TOM). Thanksgiving was delightful, despite my father and his wife showing up five minutes before it was time to eat (typical!). The turkey brining experiment was a huge success. I will definitely cook turkey that way forever; that you Alton Brown!

I shocked DH by eating a bite each of his pumpkin, apple, and chocolate cream pies. I figured pumpkin usually comes around only once/year for us, I make apple pie only once/year, and I typically like chocolate cream. Well, the pies were "ok." The apple was good, but I couldn't have eaten a whole slice. Just a taste of each and I was all set.

How dramatically different from years past, when I would have pumpkin pie for dessert, then later as a snack, and then probably for breakfast the next morning.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
190.2

Kind of surprising, but I guess drinking tea and water all day yesterday helped me release some of that water. I could not stay away from the kitchen, though. I finished up my Midnight Reverie as well as a few SF candies (ugh). I finally made myself a OMM with egg, ham, and cheese for dinner, and that was IT. End of eating for the day!

I had the opportunity to go to Zumba both yesterday and today, but I am just not feeling up to it. TOM symptoms......ugh. I'm sure things will be better by tomorrow, so maybe I'll hit the gym then. For once I'm not antsy about being away from exercise; in fact, I'd go back to bed RIGHT NOW if I could. I was up at 6 this morning, but then decided to go back to bed, which is rare. Usually, once I'm up, I'm up, but TOM just seems to be draining me this month.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!
 
JK130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern CA
Posts: 2,118
Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
Sorry for the TOM c*ap...but hoo boy! a little whoosh right in the middle of it...on Thanksgiving weekend. That's terrific, ChristineJan
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
Sorry for the TOM c*ap...but hoo boy! a little whoosh right in the middle of it...on Thanksgiving weekend. That's terrific, ChristineJan
Thanks, Jan! And I saw some flickering on the scale this morning; that bad boy is just DYING to go to 18-something. I saw it, I swear!!! I wonder if I can bribe it with some leftover apple pie??
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:04 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
191

Not surprising! DH and I went out for some traditional Brazilian last night, and it was delicious............and salty! I enjoyed it, but knew the water damage I was doing as I was eating it. But, seriously, I don't care. Everything was on plan (meat and vegetables!) plus a glass of red wine, and we had a great time. I'm sure the water will be gone within a few days.

DH confessed feeling "guilty" about my weight loss, which was an interesting conversational turn. In a nutshell, he feels guilty for being for feeling super attracted to me now because "it's not that I wasn't attracted to you before..." I told him, "take the pressure off yourself, man!" Much of this is biological. I look now more like what your body/brain is telling you to be attracted to because I look like a healthy child-bearer! Despite the fact that -- at my age -- my eggs are rotting as we speak, from an evolutionary standpoint, it makes sense that he would be more responsive to my current physique.

He also said that he sees how much happier I am and that it makes him happy as well.

I honestly hadn't considered how this process might affect him. I really do my best to make this about me; I don't inconvenience my family, I'm not high drama about food (or anything else for that matter), and I don't really talk about it unless it's apropos to the conversation. So I figured that he really wouldn't be affected by it, other than to reap the benefits.

That was foolish on my part; I should have asked him about how he was feeling. But at least he feels comfortable talking to me about it.

Last edited by ChristineCQ; 11-28-2010 at 05:06 AM..
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!
 
JK130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern CA
Posts: 2,118
Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
interesting. another thought...what size/shape were each of you when you were first falling in love? are you looking more like his young, romantic memories? either way, lucky you, and lucky him! weight loss as a marriage booster!!
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
interesting. another thought...what size/shape were each of you when you were first falling in love? are you looking more like his young, romantic memories? either way, lucky you, and lucky him! weight loss as a marriage booster!!
I am definitely closer to what I was five years ago. In fact, he asked if I was at the same weight because he thinks I look very similar to when we first met. I told him that, by the numbers, I'm still 20 lbs above but that when we first met, I was much "beefier" in light of the type of fitness work I was doing at the time (racquetball and other high-impact cardio. Those exercises tend to beef me up a bit, whereas swimming tends to lean me out). But in terms of body shape, I'm definitely looking more like my "old self." I'm sure that factors into the equation as well!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ChristineCQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,495
Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Posting for record-keeping and later comparison: A pic at 191, taken today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190.jpg (6.6 KB, 29 views)
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.