Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #541
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissasillymom View Post
Love your journal...you have done so great!! Very inspiring

Thank you!! I'm going to subscribe to your journal as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca1979 View Post
Nice to see you, Rebecca!!!

FINALLY, a day off. DS begins spring break today. We're starting our day with a viewing of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," which neither of us has seen (DS was too young when it came out, and I'm not a fantasy fiction kind of girl). Not sure what else is on tap for us today, but it doesn't matter. No schedule, no homework, no nada. He'll be heading off to his dad's for the weekend this afternoon, and I'll go hit the gym before DH comes home.

Did I mention that I'm on a 30-day strength and cardio challenge through work? Basically, we have 30 days to accumulate cardio minutes and strength workouts. The strength workouts are no problem; I've already met the minimum for the month. But the cardio....that's something else. I'm not big on cardio for cardio's sake given that I don't think it really helps my weight loss, but I do enjoy Zumba, so that's what I do. However, we had some major disruptions to the Zumba schedule plus I've had a busy spring and haven't been able to attend regularly, so I'm having difficulty meeting the minimum cardio minutes. I need to get in to do some HIIT!

DH is halfway to his weightloss goal! He lost 10 lbs. so far, with another 10 to go. He's not nearly as strict as I am, but he did cut out a LOT of sugar and flour. I'm very happy for him!!

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #542
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my deliciousness.

Turnip Gratin | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

Had this for dinner tonight.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #543
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Watched a great motivating show yesterday: Heavy. Have you seen it? I thought to myself, "If this dude who weighs over 600 lbs. can get his butt to the gym and lose SERIOUS weight (over 125 in six months!), then there is NO REASON that I can't lose 20!"

Truly. I have no excuse. Watching this guy labor his way to and from the gym, completely alter terrible eating habits, and basically reform his entire existence made me realize how easy I have it. I am able-bodied, have complete control over my circumstances, and have many, many tools at my disposal.

It's an emotional experience to watch that show, though (I caught it on Hulu, btw). People really struggle and persevere through very difficult circumstances. But again, I am reminded that in the grand scheme, my 20 lbs. should be no big deal.

Coincidence or not? After watching that show I had probably what was one of the best days in the gym EVER. As you might recall, I lift fairly heavy for a recreational weight lifter (20 and 25 lb. dumbbells, 200 lbs on the leg press, 200 ab reps, etc.), and yesterday I absolutely KILLED it. 200 ab reps in one shot, which was a first (normally I break it up: 150+50 was my previous best), 20 lb. dumbbell pullovers, 15 lb. dumbbells on concentration curls while standing on the BOSU. Was it the additional motivation or was it that I turned a corner in strength training? I don't know, but I'm grateful.

Today it's off to the pool since there's no Zumba. I haven't been there since before winter (I have a thing about getting in the pool when it's cold out; I spent the winter unable to warm up, and I just didn't want to get in the pool when I felt like that), so it'll be interesting to see what my endurance is like. I plan to go back to the pool regularly once May hits. But I'll have to wear my regular bathing suit since my racer suit no longer fits. A little fancy for lap swimming, no? But wow. Glad I took the pic. A good reminder of how much work is ahead of me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00114-20110423-0812.jpg (25.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #544
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Twoterville/1st. Goal - ONEderland!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Everyday!
Your working out is very inspiring. I cycle daily and occasionally do my walk tape. The weather is getting better here in MI and hubby and I have been going for occasional walks and have started doing some small hikes in State Parks. When I get below 200 lbs. I plan on hitting the gym more and really do look forward to it.
I think you look great, keep it up it really is showing.

BTW- I do watch the show Heavy as well as Biggest Loser and yes they really work out hard and lose the weight. I am finding that just moving daily makes me a better person emotionally as well as physically.

Keep workin' it!

Maggie Remember ~~If hunger is not the question, then food is not the answer!
MagieDen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #545
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagieDen View Post
Your working out is very inspiring. I cycle daily and occasionally do my walk tape. The weather is getting better here in MI and hubby and I have been going for occasional walks and have started doing some small hikes in State Parks. When I get below 200 lbs. I plan on hitting the gym more and really do look forward to it.
I think you look great, keep it up it really is showing.

BTW- I do watch the show Heavy as well as Biggest Loser and yes they really work out hard and lose the weight. I am finding that just moving daily makes me a better person emotionally as well as physically.

Keep workin' it!
Thanks, Maggie! So glad to hear that you and DH are stepping out together! You know, I was reading that while ANY workout is great, working out in the great outdoors provides some additional benefits like serious mood enhancement and better sleep! I don't remember exactly, but it was something about exposure to the light of day (even when it's cloudy!) that "resets" our internal sleep clock and allows us to sleep better and deeper, which contributes to a better overall sense of well-being. I can't wait to be outside regularly!! Waiting for the weather to get better over here! Tick tock, Mother Nature! (It's pouring as I write this! )

I caught BL back when I had cable, and I found that show to be motivating as well! You're right; people really work it hard! I am always impressed when I see that!

Keep up the great work, lady! You can do it!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #546
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
You look lovely in your swimsuit but i'm guessing it won't work well for exercising. Congratulations for making the old workout suit obsolete!!!

I watched Heavy on Hulu in the wee hours last night too and am humbled by the experiences chronicled by these folks. i related more like...oh my goodness, that's where i was headed.

your 20 pounds? don't dismiss the difficulty of kicking them to the curb! i lost those last 20 last fall...and they are back! i am just about ready to mini challenge those with 20 pounds to lose!!!! I haven't lately written down details of my exercise plan, but your success reminds me that it's critical. Awesome job, lady!!!
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #547
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Jan! I'm totally up for a 20 lb mini-challenge, if you decide to whip that up! (Though for me, it's probably not the "last 20," it's just the "next 20"! )

As it turns out, I was able to do some lap swimming in that suit without a problem. I'm so glad I went (even though I had to turn around halfway there because I forgot my cap and goggles! ). I forgot how good it feels to work swimming muscles; so different from Zumba and weight lifting. I'm going to get back to swimming regularly within the next two weeks.

Question of the Day: How do non-Christians celebrate Easter? We go to the gym, of course! Had a heavy, heavy workout today; tricep focus, with 70 lbs. on the straight-bar push-down. I have three primary areas that bug me: Abs, thighs, and triceps, so I'm always happy to have a workout that focuses on those areas (though I do work the abs every workout). All I want in life is to have a decent set of abs, no flabby triceps, and thighs that aren't wider than my hips. Is that too much to ask?

And I ran today, just a little bit. It was so nice out that I felt I should. Still haven't changed my mind about running (it's masochistic), but I do find it much easier these days. I imagine trying to run while carrying 50 lbs. of dog food or something, and that reminds me how much harder it must have been when I first tried running last spring. No wonder it was painful.

Now, the start of a brand new week. Not a whole lot of exercise time for me this week since DS is on spring break, but I'll do what I can. My schedule is winding down; about a week and a half left of intensity, and then it's fairly smooth sailing straight through the summer. Can't wait.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #548
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Subscribing, and coming back for some Christine catch up reading WooHoo on the other suit's being too big! That is progress
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 AM   #549
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Kitty!!

What is UP with my veins all of a sudden? Everywhere on my body, all I see are veins, veins, veins! My hands, my shoulders, my inner arms, my chest.....does anyone else notice more veins as they lose weight, or is my blood turning to antifreeze?? My theory is that they were buried beneath layers of FAT, so I never saw them.

Honestly? It sort of creeps me out. And it makes my hands look really old!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #550
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
Thanks, Kitty!!

What is UP with my veins all of a sudden? Everywhere on my body, all I see are veins, veins, veins! My hands, my shoulders, my inner arms, my chest.....does anyone else notice more veins as they lose weight, or is my blood turning to antifreeze?? My theory is that they were buried beneath layers of FAT, so I never saw them.

Honestly? It sort of creeps me out. And it makes my hands look really old!
No I don't think your blood is turning into antifreeze. I remember when I noticed veins really protruding out of my feet and it freaked me out. I noticed it quite alot after working out really hard. Maybe your fat has been hiding them all along and the building of muscle is helping the veins to show? Needless to say I have some veins that have always shown but the ones on my feet, well there isn't much fat in my feet from me to lose from. so they show more there and it still freaks me out.

Hope you can find some answers.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #551
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm sure you're totally right, Maggie! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who is freaked out.

And you know......now that you mention it, I really noticed it yesterday when I got in the shower after the gym. My shoulders were REALLY veiny (haha, "veiny" is totally not a word!), and it must have been from lifting.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:06 AM   #552

Mine have always been an issue, but were also somewhat covered by the fat until recently. Got to get used to them again. Had the vericose veins in my leg treated, so that helped somewhat there. I saw that they do hands too as an elective procedure to make them look younger. A spot on my leg is acting up again,so will need to go back for more treatments this fall. They also did spider veins or me too Need more of those done too!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #553
Major LCF Poster!

hey, you EARNED those veins showing! wear them proudly as a symbol of a slimmer you!

seriously, i have no idea why you have freaky veins all of the sudden, but life is full of fun "surprises", doncha know!

happy day to you
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #554
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mrssillymom
Stats: 293/282/190
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 2/18/2014
Great job with the workouts Christine....that is awesome!! I think you are right about the vein phenomenon, as we lose weight they probably will show up more. Hang in there things will adjust and hopefully they will fade back down some.

Thanks for subscribing to my journal. You are an inspiration!! WTG to your DH on the 10 lbs too!! that is awesome!!
Mrssillymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #555
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Hey Christine! Wow, where have I been? You've been a busy girl!

I love that you went back to dairy. I love it because you found NOT eating it was NOT helping you. That's not quitting, that's just smart. I think one of the best things about learning to lose weight, to change what was making us sick, is the knowledge we gain about ourselves. I'm also very proud that you had a WWBD moment. That made me feel really special and I'm so happy that I could help you through a rough patch. I have gone to bed hungry so many times. But, it works!

I plan on watching Heavy on HULU to see if I can't find some more motivation.

You inspire me to work harder at exercise! Of course anything would be harder than what I currently do.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #556
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh my deliciousness.

Turnip Gratin | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

Had this for dinner tonight.
Hey, I checked this out, I love turnips and it sounds amazing! Did you make it as written or did you make any modifications? I'd be interested to know. I really enjoyed reading the recipe and book marked the page for further exploring. Thanks!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #557

I love that site! I like how she writes easy to follow directions with pictures Still waiting to try it. Of course, when I want to make it, no turnips!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #558
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycitygirl View Post
Mine have always been an issue, but were also somewhat covered by the fat until recently. Got to get used to them again. Had the vericose veins in my leg treated, so that helped somewhat there. I saw that they do hands too as an elective procedure to make them look younger. A spot on my leg is acting up again,so will need to go back for more treatments this fall. They also did spider veins or me too Need more of those done too!
So far, the legs aren't too much of an issue, but you know the reason for that: They're still covered with a fluffy layer of flab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaay View Post
hey, you EARNED those veins showing! wear them proudly as a symbol of a slimmer you!

seriously, i have no idea why you have freaky veins all of the sudden, but life is full of fun "surprises", doncha know!

happy day to you
I suppose you're right. At least I don't look like the guy on the shake weight commercial! I saw that while we were out last night and nearly .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissasillymom View Post
Great job with the workouts Christine....that is awesome!! I think you are right about the vein phenomenon, as we lose weight they probably will show up more. Hang in there things will adjust and hopefully they will fade back down some.

Thanks for subscribing to my journal. You are an inspiration!! WTG to your DH on the 10 lbs too!! that is awesome!!
Thanks, Melissa! I enjoy reading about your progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Hey Christine! Wow, where have I been? You've been a busy girl!

I love that you went back to dairy. I love it because you found NOT eating it was NOT helping you. That's not quitting, that's just smart. I think one of the best things about learning to lose weight, to change what was making us sick, is the knowledge we gain about ourselves. I'm also very proud that you had a WWBD moment. That made me feel really special and I'm so happy that I could help you through a rough patch. I have gone to bed hungry so many times. But, it works!

I plan on watching Heavy on HULU to see if I can't find some more motivation.

You inspire me to work harder at exercise! Of course anything would be harder than what I currently do.

Thanks, Blonde!! With regard to exercise, the key for me has been to find something I enjoy. Back in the day, I really liked racquetball, so I played it often and enjoyed it. Since I lost my RB partner (my dad....he quit the gym), I found Zumba, as you know, and I really like it. Since you like being outside, walking might be your go-to exercise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Hey, I checked this out, I love turnips and it sounds amazing! Did you make it as written or did you make any modifications? I'd be interested to know. I really enjoyed reading the recipe and book marked the page for further exploring. Thanks!!!
I loved it! Made it as written, but next time, I'll cut down on the butter, It was too much for me (and I LOVE my butter). I also made the same recipe with zucchini and Parmesan cheese: Delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycitygirl View Post
I love that site! I like how she writes easy to follow directions with pictures Still waiting to try it. Of course, when I want to make it, no turnips!!!
I loved the pictures, too! And her snarky sense of humor. Let me know when you find turnips and try the recipe!!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #559
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Went to a health fair yesterday and had my cholesterol, blood sugar, BP, and bone density taken. BP was 108/66, cholesterol was well under 200, blood sugar was in normal range, and bone scan was +.5, which is apparently good. I told DH that I regret to inform him, but I'll be living a good long time given these indicators. He won't be getting rid of me THAT easily.

Hardcore fitness moment of the day: I threw my gym bag together yesterday morning only to realize at Zumba that I packed a black SKIRT not my black workout pants. Since my exercise time is very limited this week and I couldn't afford to miss, I did it anyway.

Yes, in a skirt. It was comical. I regret that I couldn't lift at the end of the day because I do draw the line at lifting in a skirt given the nature of the exercises, but maybe I can get in there tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #560
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Went to a health fair yesterday and had my cholesterol, blood sugar, BP, and bone density taken. BP was 108/66, cholesterol was well under 200, blood sugar was in normal range, and bone scan was +.5, which is apparently good. I told DH that I regret to inform him, but I'll be living a good long time given these indicators. He won't be getting rid of me THAT easily.

Hardcore fitness moment of the day: I threw my gym bag together yesterday morning only to realize at Zumba that I packed a black SKIRT not my black workout pants. Since my exercise time is very limited this week and I couldn't afford to miss, I did it anyway.

Yes, in a skirt. It was comical. I regret that I couldn't lift at the end of the day because I do draw the line at lifting in a skirt given the nature of the exercises, but maybe I can get in there tomorrow.
Working out in a skirt, now that is determination. Great on the test results!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #561
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Quote:

Great numbers!!!!!!
I am laughing at the idea of you doing your Zumba in a skirt and really getting a chuckle of you lifting with the skirt on. That sure would have drawn some attention to you and could have had all the men wanting to help the poor "helpless" girl in the skirt that doesn't know gym protocol.
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #562
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Haha! Well, you should know that one of my co-workers, who is the husband of a good friend of mine, snuck into the gym and took my picture during Zumba! Hostile work environment!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #563
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
Quote:
Haha! Well, you should know that one of my co-workers, who is the husband of a good friend of mine, snuck into the gym and took my picture during Zumba! Hostile work environment!

You better post that picture!
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #564
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
sexual harrassment too
Old 04-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #565
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL!!! I got some serious belly laughs at the thought of you "lifting" in a skirt! Thank you for the giggles!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #566

LOL Love it!!! Good for you not wimping out because of the skirt mix up!
Old 04-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #567
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hate being "off schedule." DS was on spring break, as I mentioned, and it was just a crazy week. I'm really looking forward to getting back on a regular routine. Exercise was off, eating was off, everything was just OFF.....except FAT. Fat was not off; fat is still ON my behind.

But the funny thing is that my weight hasn't changed this week, despite my less-than-stellar eating, and I think I'm at one of those points where I'll need to work HARD to move the scale (either way: Up OR down). That's clearly a good thing when I'm not behaving, but when I'm back to seriousness, I know that I have a long road ahead of me.

April fitness challenge ends today, and I'm going to finish out in the lowest tier. Tier one is 600-899 cardio workout minutes plus a certain number of full-body weight workouts, tier two is 900-1199 or something, tier three is 1200+. I had no problem getting in the full-body weight workouts; in fact, my number in that area is a tier 3. But I just could not get the cardio minutes in given my schedule and Zumba cancellations due to the holiday/gym availability. And let's not forget how much I hate cardio, so it's not like I'm really all that committed to doing anything other than Zumba at this point. So tier one it is. Embarrassing! :blush:

But as of next week, it's back to the pool in the mornings now that it isn't frigid outside. And my schedule loosens up a bit next week, so I'll have more time to devote to important things like exercise and healthy eating.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #568

Don't be hard on yourself. You are doing something. More than most in the country can say! ....and you did it in a skirt! That is admirable!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #569
Major LCF Poster!

funny how we are all so different...i like being "off schedule". it's comfortable for me. i get bored any other way. repetition makes me nuts...driving the same road, doing the same thing at the same time...

i'm impressed that you participate in a health challenge (i believe through your work?) who organizes it?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #570
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jan, we have a health and wellness coordinator who handles all sorts of health initiatives. She's a good friend of mine, and while we disagree on some fundamental aspects of health and nutrition (she's a classically trained nurse, and her nutritional background consists of the low-fat, calories in/calories out philosophy), she is extremely helpful in my efforts to lose weight.

Major workouts this weekend, which was great. Zumba and the gym on Saturday, gym on Sunday, power walking Sunday night with my friend mentioned above. Gym today, Zumba tomorrow, and the pool on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Might do all three workouts on Friday since I took the day off: Pool, gym, Zumba. We'll see.

I am committed to clean eating for the month of May. Today:

B: Shake
L: String cheese and HB egg
S: Coffee
D: Chicken breast, salad, wings
S: 2 pc. SF chocolate

And a walk with DH tonight.

Taking it a week at a time and hoping for the best. It's going to be swimsuit time soon.

One thing I did notice is that my delts are starting to become more defined, and my upper-body strength has improved dramatically. I'm also up to 225 nonstop reps of ab work, and today I added another 25 reps of a far more challenging ab move. I know I'll be feeling that in the obliques tomorrow.