the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Pooti's Journal

Weight - 260.2 lbs (Post-poopy)
Fasting Blood Sugar 91

I'm starting this journal because I don't have the energy these days to maintain an outside blog and want to be accountable to myself and anyone who chooses to drop in for a visit. I want to be able to talk about whatever I need to - especially if it involves my eating habits and successes or failures. I also want to be able to support others should they choose to post their progress with me here without having to be sensored.

Many of you know I follow the JUDDD diet. It began as a 2week test but it was so amazingly successful for me in the first 2 weeks, that I felt comfortable extending the "run." October 1 begins a 2nd month on the diet.

I'm seeing all types of success! I had a 10.8lb loss for September on JUDDD. I saw my blood sugars go down to being in the 80s and 90s again - routinely! I feel good, have more energy, am very happy and hopeful with a positive outlook. I haven't had any real issues with my binge eating disorder and I'm not feeling deprived. My asthma and cough are feeling a little better and I'm also losing inches. I'm down to 18-22 in size, depending on the cut of the clothes.

More successes: I no longer have right upper quadrant pain and I am able to twist my torso better without feeling like I am going to tear something! My tummy isn't nearly as distended as it was (oh I still look pregnant, make no mistake about that but I only look like I'm in my 2nd trimester instead of looking like I'm 2weeks overdue!).

I'm also losing my "camel hump", red face, sweating on my head, and moon face. These are the lovely by-products of my cyclical Cushings Syndrome, so I have reason to believe my cortisol levels are coming back down along with insulin levels I believe are moving towards some kind of normalization. As normal as a Syndrome-Xer's insulin can be at any rate!

These are major successes for me! It's been years since I was able to lose weight at any kind of normal pace. I had gotten so used to gaining and losing the same 5lbs (I call this Groundhog Day weightloss), that I'd really dispaired and had started researching and reading everything I could about weight loss surgery. My blood sugars were out of control and often up in the upper 160s and 170s and my morning blood sugars were in 130s and would rise through the morning into the 140s. I had right upper quadrant discomfort all the time and a feeling of being "full" in that area with pain on twisting my torso. So I knew my fatty liver wasn't getting any better! I just "FEEL" so much better right now.

I definitely think the intermittent fasting that I've made part of JUDDD is contributing to the success - along with the calorie control of course. I also think that controlling the amount of protein I'm taking in is also a huge help.

Make no mistake, I'm still low carb. My carbs are anywhere from between 20-60/day. Most days it's somewhere in the 20-40 range and most of that comes from veggies. I'm not eating that much dairy either on a daily basis. I am beginning to experiment with gluten free flours, inulin and chia seeds but I'm very cautious about this.

I have moved through OWL and know that I do fine with the extra veggies, some fruits, some seeds/nuts, beans within portion control and don't know yet about the grains. I do ok with a tiny amount of winter squash, sweet potato, and carbier veg.

I do not tolerate alcohol well at all. I am not drinking for the most part. This past month was an unusual month for me because of my birthday celebrations and I had wine on two occassions. Both times I ended up spending an entire week, trying to re-lose 4-5lbs I'd gained and get back into weight loss mode. So for me, any alcohol at all comes with this knowledge - that I will waste a week.

I will list my daily menus here in the journal, but will only really be posting the ****** numbers on the DD (Down Days), just to save time. I'm a daily weigher so I will continue to weigh and record here. Oh and my menus will be a day behind - cuz I'm posting retroactively.

So here is yesterday's menu. It was an UD (Up Day) and kinda a weird day. We went junk shopping all day yesterday and were gone from early morning until around 8pm last night! I can't believe I had the energy for that!

Saturday, Oct 2nd Up Day Menu (I actually did enter this one into ******)

B- Decaf Coffee, black, unsweetened

L- 1oz Macadamia Nuts

Linner (Late Lunch-Early Dinner) - 6oz Burger (raw measure, I asked how big they were. Way too much protein at one time for me, but I was starving!)
1oz Cheddar
2 Slices Bacon
1 tsp Mayo
1/4c Guacamole
1 1/2oz Avocado
1c Romaine
1 Thick Slice Tomato
1 Med Slice Onion
3 Slices Dill Pickle
2 Tbsp Roquefort Cheese Dressing
2 Glasses Iced Tea, unsweetened

Bedtime Snack - 2 Squares Lindt 85% Cacao Chocolate

Daily Totals: This was not a successful UD. I was too low on cals, too high on fat, too low on protein, and I ate a huge majority of my calories at only one meal! Boo-sis but it's a bit of an anomaly. I don't do this every day!

Calories 1,265
Fat 110.5g (77%) This was definitely NOT a success!
Carbs 22.8g (7%)
Fiber 10.7g
Protein 50.7g (17%)
Alcohol 0g

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13

Last edited by pooticus; 10-03-2010 at 09:11 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Hi Poot. How many calories do you usually try to eat on a UP day? I aim for 1500, but the last few UP's have been disastrous! Yesterday's UP was 1700. Today I am trying for a MD and keeping it around 1000. I am glad it's a DD tomorrow. I need one..lol.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
the condiment queen

Hi Kel! Great to see you here. My first UDs were a feeding frenzy but it gets better!!! Your appetite really comes under control about the 3rd week (or at least for me).

I'm aiming for 1400-1600 with the ideal being around 1400.

I think though (and I'm not a pro on this) that as active as you are, that you are gonna see that 1700 isn't a problem for you. You might even be able to do 1800. Just out of curiousity, did you go to Dr. Js site to see what your numbers are with his calculator?

Mine was pretty high for UDs but I have trouble believing as sedentary as I am that I would be able to eat the calories they say!

MDs are pretty hard for me! Sundays are my normal MDs and I try to be around 1000 too. LOL, we're on the same schedule so that will be fun! It's a DD for me tomorrow as well! I actually look forward to Mondays for the DD. I really don't like the Sat-Sun, whole UD/MD thing. But I would hate alternating my weekly rotations even more so I'm gonna keep trying to the MDs.

I think you are doing really well Kel!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
the condiment queen

Weight 258.8 (Pre-poopy :blush: )
Fasting Blood Sugar - Didn't Take, Out of sticks

Ok, well I'm not absolutely in VWT (Virgin Weight Territory) but it sure is flirting with me! When the scale reads 257 I will officially be in VWT for the first time in about 6 years!

I'm very excited about this accomplishment because the last 2 times I have knocked on the VWT door, no one answered and then later I found out it broke up with me! Consequently, I never passed the threshold. It was a huge bummer and I spent weeks begging VWT to take me back only to be met with silence and no movement on the scale or in the measuring tape.

This time is different though. There has been no stall. No pause at the 260-261 level. Nope, just straight down this morning and that's after an UD and a MD!!! I'm so encouraged, excited, thrilled even. Can you tell? I bet you can't cuz I'm so "cool" about it, and not making a big deal about it. Hahahaha! and this is all with only a chance of reaching it! Imagine what I'll be like when I truly reach it!?

So today is a DD and I'm really stoked for it. I actually love my DDs. I get so much done and the hunger isn't usually a gnawing type of hunger, just a vague emptiness and a feeling of peace believe it or not! I believe this is God's work on me. Yes, this is my journal and I'm not associated with "the state" unless it's the "state of disrepair"? So I will excercise my right to talk freely about my love affair with God! He strengthens me so and blesses me with His Almighty Grace and presence and I just can't explain in words what a difference He's made in our lives.

I had a breakthrough just recently (since Lent of this year). I started doing my usual Catholic fast on Fridays during Lent and I also gave up meat on Fridays. Well, at first I was starving! It was really difficult to get through the day without food but with His help, I did it. My choice was to offer up my hunger to the Lord for His use. And I would say, "Lord, how measly is this discomfort in comparison to your pain on the cross as you surrendered yourself and endured humiliation, torture and death just to pay for my sins?"

Just talking to him about this, would make the empty hunger so much less and so manageable. Without realizing it, I started losing weight without doing anything else. Also, I started to see fleetingly lower numbers here or there in my blood sugar readings.

Then I started low carbing again. I'd done pretty good with my diet (although there was no movement on the scale. I'd been stuck at (I can't remember) somewhere in the 270s - maybe 277 - for so long. But I had done pretty good all through the time of Mom's diagnosis with lung cancer and during her treatment. But when she fell and caught MSSA in the nursing home and then later became septic from it, the 3 weeks in hospital and the 2 weeks in hospice just got the best of me and I became self-indulgent and rationalized (oh I can rationalize) that I had the right not to worry or concern myself with my diet - even though I am a raging T2. Yeah, right.

So we lost Mom last July. It was doubly hard because we had never had an easy relationship and because I was her whipping boy. I mourned not only for the loss of a mother but for the loss of ever having a chance to have a normal mother-daughter relationship. And I went off the deep end again - medicating with food and wine when the need hit. My blood sugar was awful again. I gained weight up to 309 again. I was miserable in pain, emotionally, psychicly, and physically and I felt like I was dying or passively killing myself.

Then I just woke up one day and God said, "Enough." It's time for healing to begin. And it did. And He did. He worked his peace that surpasses all understanding in me and I began to heal. With healing came the desire for change; the longing to feel better physically as mind and spirit were being healed by the Great Physician.

So that gets me to today. To 258.8lbs pre-poopy. Oh yeah. I am full of *bleep* so I have pre and post-poopy weights! I feel so much better today than I did a year ago! Halleluia and thank You Lord Jesus!!! You are Lord of All and the Fountain of All Holiness!
Thank You for my every blessing!

I had intended to review and talk about Walden Farms products. I guess that can wait until tomorrow, though. Without any further delay. I give you my MD (Medium Day). It went swimmingly I must say. No hunger. Tons of food (felt like it anyway). And I stayed within the calories I needed to and was rewarded! I now have a working template for MD!!! Woot!

Today is a DD for me. I'm on a MWF Down Day schedule so that I always know what to expect on those days. I'm ready for it!!!
Tue-Thurs-Saturday are my UD - Up Days
Sunday is my MD - Medium Day

Sunday, October 3rd Medium Day Menu (I actually enterred this on into ****** too!)

B- 1c Dannon Whole Fat Yogurt
2 Tbsp Blueberry Syrup, Zero Calorie Walden Farms
1/16 Scoop Chia Seeds

L- 3oz Chicken Breast
1 Boiled Egg
2 c Spring Mix Marketside Brand
1 c Baby Spinach
1/3c Cauliflower, blanched
1/3c Broccoli, blanched
1/3c Zucchini and Yellow Squash, blanched
3 Grape Tomatoes
4 Tbsp Walden Farms Creamy Bacon ZC Dressing

D- 4oz Beef Eye of Round Roast, baked rare
4 oz Broccoli
1-1/2 Tbsp Butter, unsalted
1/4c Sour Cream
1 Tbsp Horseradish

Bedtime Snack - 2 Squares Lindt 85% Chocolate

Daily Totals: This was pretty close to perfect from a nutrient balance for me. I hit right at 1000 cals for the day - a little over but not significantly. I also was pretty close to the 80g of protein mark. All in all, it was a very good day and I managed to get in 3 meals! Can't speak highly enough of the yogurt with the blueberry syrup and chia seeds. Tasted just like real blueberries and didn't spike my blood sugar at all!!!!!

Calories 1034
Fat 60.2g (52%)
Carbs 38.2g (14%)
Fiber 10g
Protein 85.4g (34%)
Alcohol 0g

Last edited by pooticus; 10-04-2010 at 07:23 AM..
Old 10-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Poot - the calculator said UP 2165 with DD - 433. I just thought that if I average approx 1000 per day, I should lose 2 lbs a week. Yep, I am not a fan of the UP - MD weekend, but like you I don't want to change my schedule weekly. I like having a DD on Monday!

Your MD sounds wonderful - a whole lot better than mine!

I am gonna have to do some research on that Walden Farms stuff. I didn't see it in the grocery store where I shop. Is it available online?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
the condiment queen

Hi Kel,

Ok so have you weighed today?

I would say if you're losing weight then 1700 would be a good number for you since you're so active? That would mean your DD would be 500 and the average for MD is around 1100 making your weekly caloric average 1100 for the week. I'm bettin anything that you would still lose 2lbs on those numbers but the real test would be what the scale does. I'm betting you would still lose with your average being 1200-1300 for the week which if you kept your DD at 500, your UD would be higher than 1700!

Anyways, you are doing awesome!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I don't weigh myself but once a week. I started this diet as I was at my wits end on weight loss. I stopped smoking in March and gained 15lbs. I continued to exercise and I thought eat sensibly, but the weight would not budge. You think you are doing everything right, denying yourself pleasures, blah blah, and still you see no significant weigh loss. I guess that is why I am so concerned about the calories.

Finding this plan has really changed the way I think about food.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
the condiment queen

Wow congratulations girl!!!! I'm so happy for you about quitting smoking!!!!! Man that alone is HUGE!

When you quit smoking your metabolism actually slows down (or so I've heard); you also can tend to eat more cuz food tastes better, the hand mouth habit, etc! When I stopped I gained about 30lbs. *gulp* :blush: and then just kept right on gaining with asthma medicines and prednisone. Total damages were - I went from 180 to 314lbs.
So I'm sooo glad you are catching it at the 15lb mark!

I can understand your calorie concern much better now. And your instinct is right. Always follow your instinct! You can always add more food if you find yourself losing too quickly for your own comfort!

I can soooo relate about the feelings of denial and reward or lack of seeing benefits! I had felt that way for so many years about low carbing even! I knew I had to do it cuz of my blood sugar and other health reasons but it drove me crazy not losing! This is the first time in years that I've been able to lose and lose steadily like a normal person loses. I don't know why things are suddenly reversing other than I think the fasting has really helped. I think reducing my portions has really helped.

I also like you think that the way JUDDD is making me change the way I view food is also very contributory. I think this could totally change the rest of our lives! I know you will be able to lose those 15lbs and any others that you want to lose. I just have no doubts. With your working out and diligence, you will be a rockstar!!!

I do think though that you may have to be a little patient with yourself for a bit as your body adjusts from stopping the smoking. But so far you are just doing marvelously!!!!

Last edited by pooticus; 10-04-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Old 10-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Poot! You are such an inspiring person. Would you please re-consider about posting on the "other" threads? I know there are a number of us that appreciate your encouraging words.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Hi, Pooti! Just dropping by, as promised.

I'm with Kel, though--more people would get to enjoy (and learn from) your posts if you'd just come on back to the JUDDD menus thread. It doesn't really matter if it makes one anonymous person cranky. The internet is full of cranky people, but I don't plan on letting them dictate my actions, dangit.

In the meantime, let me say that you are doing extremely well, and it's encouraging and exciting to see that JUDDD is improving more than just your weight, and that you are feeling physically healed by the plan. That's kind of a miracle, plain and simple.

I am feeling starving and shaky and generally crappy today. I have learned my lesson about two Up Days in a row. The magical freedom from hunger that I've been experiencing on my DDs is not my reality today. I guess to get the magic, you have to DO IT RIGHT! Duh!

See you tomorrow!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
the condiment queen

Kel and Jess! Thank you for asking, but I just think it will be less stressful to keep it here. I just have drama-free zones these days and draw lines pretty quickly to set boundaries. I will still pm with yall though to give you encouragement and hope that you will either visit me here sometime or send me a pm!

Jessica I sent you a pm about your hunger! to you. That's the pits!!! I know I'm rethinking the MWF DD schedule. On the one hand I really love knowing when and where I will be and being able to schedule my life but on the flip side, dang I HATE that Sat-Sun UD/MD combo! Today I was hungrier too Jessica but not shaky. I think when you get that way, that is really physiological and you need to get a tiny bit of food into you. Remember Dr J says that after the first 2 weeks we can adjust our DD cals to be different percentages. So I would doubt that an extra 100 cals like you would get in a protein drink or in a piece of cheese would wipe out the effects of the SIRT1 gene. What do yall think?

I wish you would consider even doing a 1/2 scoop of protein powder in a cup of coffee wiht some water and ice and drinking it like a frappacino or iced coffee. It really does take the edge off and will help with the shakes.

Thank you both for your encouragement! I'm still pretty mystified about this loss and in some ways am kinda "waiting for the other shoe to drop" - you know? I just have to have faith and exercise it too! He says, "For I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper and not to harm..." So I'm gonna choose to believe that this way of eating really is helping my insulin resistance and healing me on the inside while also helping me lose these troubling pounds!!!

BTW, I tried eating 2 meals today...Blech! I was so much more hungry that way. It's just so weird for me! I can manage to fast it out till evening with little issues. But gimme some food and then my tummy turns into an ugly monster and turns up the grumblies a few notches!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Hi Pooticus.. I just wanted to stop by to say hello and tell you that you are doing great! Keep up the good work my friend!!

cheri
Old 10-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
the condiment queen

Jeanie you're more than welcome! I hope I helped you? I think you could sure try it out. Do it for a week and see what happens and have a game plan for in case you get soooo hungry that you're thinking of bingeing. You know? Have legal food all prepared and ready for you.

Cheri!!!!! hon! It's awesome to see you and I'm glad you stopped by here!!! I'm so happy for your amazing accomplishment girl!!!! You are such an inspiration! and thanks for the encouragement! How's your momma doin? Have you been down to Houston this year? And, how are you feeling? I read you have C-Diff? Our friend has it too. He caught it from his father in law who caught it while in rehab from a fall! It's mean stuff girl! I hope you are taking care of yourself??
Old 10-05-2010, 06:56 AM   #15
the condiment queen

Weight - 258.4lbs (Post Poopy)
Fasting Blood Glucose - Not taken, still out of the darn things but getting them today

So yesterday was a bit hungrier than usual. I tried to eat during the day and I have a couple of issues with this. The main one is that as soon as I eat, I wake my hunger up for the day and what is usually a faint background chatter when I fast becomes a huge hairy scream once food is initiated. I'm also not very hungry in the mornings usually, so I end up delaying the point at which I eat.

It was 1pm before I looked up from work and realized I'd made the committment to eat during the day and not just fast on my DD (Down Day). I warmed up a spinoff of Shelly's Soup (the cauliflower broccoli one) only mine has twice as many calories as hers and I can't quite figure out why? I thought I was following the recipe but I am sure I probably just spazzed. Anyway, I made it into a "curry" using my blend of spices for a garam masala:

1 Part Ground Ginger
1 Part Ground Turmeric
1 Part Ground Cumin
1/2 Part Ground Coriander
1 Part Granulated Garlic

I add the salt and pepper separately as well as a clove of garlic or two or 100...It was delicious and pretty filling. 1 cup = 85calories. And I ate a cup of that and a slice of Boiled Ham lunch meat and was satisfied until dinner time. Trouble was, dinner was late cuz I was cooking for my sissy and didn't get things finished at a reasonable time. Soooo dinner was at 9pm and by that time I was too pooped to eat very much!

So let's talk low carb products. I've never been much of a product hound. I rather prefer and revel in the process of creating things from scratch. It's probably an ego thing. I dunno. But I like knowing what is "in" a dish or a condiment or relish and those are things that are easily pronouncable!

But since starting JUDDD, I've become pretty parsimonious about my calories! I find I begrudge the calories in salad dressing, even though mine is always made with olive oil and usually Extra Virgin OO. So enter Walden Farms. I looked at the ingredients and it's a pretty small list. I'm pretty sure some of the things aren't awesome for you - like Sucralose, but I've gone to the dark hedonistic side and have adopted using a small amount of it for now. It also has things like cellulose. What the heck is cellulose? Wood fiber aka paper?

I can't quite figure out how something that tastes relatively good (remember it's Calorie Free - let me repeat - ZERO CALORIES or CARBS) can have zero calories. I never remembered air tasting that good? But anyway, I've been using their dressings on salads on my down days. And they are surprisingly pleasing. I have tried the Asian (very good), Bacon (takes some getting used to), and Blue Cheese (passable). I add a splash of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar on the salad along with it and show the olive oil bottle to the salad bowl and call it a tossed salad. Makes it palatable.

This weekend, I resurrected some frozen LC pancakes I'd made a month back and brought out the Walden Farm Blueberry Syrup. It's pretty runny, but again, pleasant tasting in a nice way with a short list of ingredients I can mostly pronounce. So I broke out the Cha-Cha-Cha-Chia seeds and threw some of the precious little poppy-seedesque black orbs into the middle of the syrup bowl. Ten minutes later, it's thickened up nicely, has a nice little crunch and went swimmingly on Denny's (Denny Crane - my SO) pancakes, which I served with scrambled eggs, bacon, sambal oelek and grape tomatoes. Not bad for a Sunday breakfast for him!

So I'm giving Walden Farms a big 2 thumbs up. Nice products. Helpful. Don't spike my blood sugar. Convenient. Maybe not actively killing me from poison but with sucralose in there one never knows. (I'm just choosing to put on my Prissy-blinders - You remember Prissy from Gone With The Wind? "I don't know nothin' bout birthin' no baby, Miss Scarlett!" Or maybe it's simply Schultz Disease - "I know 'nussinck'!")

Ok well here is the DD menu without further ado!

Wednesday, October 4, 2010 DD Menu

B - Decaff Coffee, black, unsweetened

L - 1c Broccoli/Cauliflower Green Curry Soup (85)
1 oz Tyson Premium Ham Slice (30)

D - 5oz Catfish Filet, grilled with blackening spices and 1/2 tsp olive oil (120)
1/4c Cauli-rice in brown butter (54)
Large Side Salad with 3 Tbsp WF (Walden Farms) Bacon Dressing - CF (1 cup romaine, 1 cup spinach, 1 cup Spring Mix, 1/4 cucumber, 1/8c onion, 1/8c red bell pepper, 1 oz avocado) (86)

Daily Totals: I don't look at today as a great day. I was very low on protein, too low on calories. I had planned a more elaborate fish dish but by the time I had time to cook it, it was too late and cod got subbed for catfish because it thaws faster in cold water, because the catfish filets were very small ones (3.5-4oz). I'm going to keep working at eating at least 2 meals a day on DDs with an increase in protein content for the day.

Calories 377
Fat 18.3g (42%)
Carbs 26.7g (27%)
Fiber 12.1g
Protein 31.2g (31%)
Alcohol 0g

Last edited by pooticus; 10-05-2010 at 07:06 AM..
Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
20 Health Benefits of Turmeric

Poot, I guess you realize all the good things you are doing for yourself by adding turmeric to food, but just in case you didn't, the above article should convince you.

In my own special way I have lost a long post to your journal, maybe after I submit this I will find it, in which case I will post it.

I'm so happy you are rushing into VWT.

Pat
Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the review on the Walden Farms products. I went ahead and purchased some from this site. I will let you know how they taste if you haven't tried them yet.

1 394-0030 Dip, Marshmallow, 12 oz
1 394-0040 Syrup, Chocolate, 12 fl oz
1 394-0041 Syrup, Pancake, 12 fl oz
1 394-0046 Dip, Caramel, 12 oz
1 394-0050 Salad Dressing, Coleslaw, 12 fl oz
1 394-0052 Whipped Peanut Spread, Creamy, 12 oz
1 394-0057 Syrup, Caramel, 12 fl oz
Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another thanks for the thumbs up on the Walden Farms. There is a low carb UK site that sells some products including tons of WF. Shipping is about $40, so I have to plan to the maximum to get a few bottles of DaVinci's as well in the shipment. Shipping from the US would be prohibitive.

They have envelopes of dry mixes for most of the salad dressings. Are they as good as the bottled dressings? I'm thinking of what I can get into suitcases when we visit the States. Kel, let us know how the coleslaw dressing is. I love coleslaw.

Pat
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #19
the condiment queen

Pat I just read your 20 Health Benefits of Turmeric! Who knew? What a great read! The comment section was dang near as good as the original information!

I have had some curucumin capsules in my bathroom for a year now and I'm going to start taking one a day! I'm pretty leary of supplements since having the problem with my liver after going to a naturopath - but I really think it's time to look at this along with Krill Oil too. I have been on a turmeric kick lately! I really love it on cauliflower as is mentioned in the article! I add it to all my soups now. Yum! And I sprinkle it on meat prior to cooking! I'm going to make some red lentils today (pretty low in the carb department) and add it to that too!

Kel, you're welcome! I love shopping at Netrition (sorry shipping is a huge hit for you Pat) cuz of the one low shipping price! I'm about to place an order there soon! I hope you end up finding these things useful to you!! I'm on my second bottle of Walden Farms Bacon Dressing. :blush: I ended up using it preferentially over my homemade dressings - even on my UDs because I was hungry for a "cream" dressing and didn't want all the cals. God someone shoot me before I start sounding like "the Kimmer". PLEASE!?!

Pat I haven't seen any of the packaged dressing mixes? One thing I thought of for making your own is to use things like xanthan and/or chia seeds to thicken it then add Bragg's Cider Vinegar along with amino acids. You could infuse flavors in defatted chicken broth and use it as the thickened agent to carry the flavor. That way, you could add either the Bragg's Aminos or the Cider Vinegar and then add just a small splash of oil. I'm going to experiment with it after I finish the current bottles of WFs stuff.

Wish you were on our side of the pond! When are you visiting the states and where are you visiting?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #20
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Hey girlie
Sounds like you're doing great - keep at it!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
the condiment queen

Hi Dottie! and thanks for dropping in! Wish I was here when you called! Dottie, I'm trying out the English muffins today. I'm going to just bite the bullet and go mix up some of the brown rice flour and mix in some inulin and chia to see if it will rise with yeast but will have lower carbs for us!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #22
Administrator

Let me know how it turns out!
I'm wondering really, how much gluten plays a role in weight loss/gain over actual carbs?
I don't mean potatoes, white bread and all the stuff that we know (now) isn't generally good for us, but I mean substituting gluten-free products that are higher carb for the low-carb products that have gluten.
Anyway, rambling and thinking out loud lol.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Cheri!!!!! hon! It's awesome to see you and I'm glad you stopped by here!!! I'm so happy for your amazing accomplishment girl!!!! You are such an inspiration! and thanks for the encouragement! How's your momma doin? Have you been down to Houston this year? And, how are you feeling? I read you have C-Diff? Our friend has it too. He caught it from his father in law who caught it while in rehab from a fall! It's mean stuff girl! I hope you are taking care of yourself??
Awwww Sweetie.. I have been thinking about you and searched you out! My mom is doing GREAT!! I haven't been to Houston at all this year because of all the problems with my tummytuck surgery and this horrible C diff. But as soon as I can.. I am going to be coming for a visit.. Would love LOVE to see ya! I was suppose to be there in July for my class reunion but just couldn't make the trip.. Though at the last minute I looked into flights but it was far too expensive at that point so that clinched me not going..

About your friend.. Please, PLEASE tell him to buy some probiotic supplements.. I started on those because it is suppose to help replace the good bacteria that is lost when on antibiotics or if you c diff from someone. I have noticed a big difference in my regularity.. I am thinking it is getting better.. I am on accuflora but I found a lot better reviews on florastor so I am going to switch to that even though it is more expensive.. When you have c diff you will pay almost anything to get rid of it because it is a nasty thing to have. Yogurt is suppose to help but I think that is more of a preventive then a cure.. the probiotic supplements are a lot better. I hope and pray your friend gets over it fast.. It is a bugger to get rid of and it is such a pain.. literally!!

Let me know how you are doing hun.. I know you have had some health issues and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Take care hun.. Hope when I visit Houston I get to see ya.. and Dottie too!

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #24
the condiment queen

Dottie, you are absolutely right (in my opinion) about our needing to keep carbs low!!! The gluten though, if you read some of the paleo sites and information is quite terrible for our gut and immune systems. For me, I've finally put together that many of my auto immune issues (asthma/arthritis/leaky gut) are impacted by the gluten. My whole family has gut and allergy/asthma issues so what I'm trying to do is find low carb altenatives (like Julian Bread's) have found where it gets the carbs down under 10 net effective carbs per serving and preferably lower! I adore Kevin's and Jennifor Eloff's and so many others too numerous to name - work on low carb bake mixes, but if it has gluten in it, I've got to stay away from it.

I ate just 2 small water crackers on my birthday weekend. Carbs were minimal. Under 3carbs for both crackers but what happened to me was incredible. I woke up the next morning and it was just like before I came back to low carb! I hurt so badly I started crying. Since then, I've had what I guess must be called a "flare" of whatever it is, but I'm walking like someone 20 years older than me because I hurt all over my body again. It feels like the flu but it I know it isn't. It always feels the same way. Achy bones and muscles and stiffness in so many joints and in all over my shoulders and back.

I tried using my oats (which I'm sure weren't gluten free) in the pizza crust we tried on Friday and again, the next morning, my pain was worse. So I'm thinking at least for me, that I've got to try to develop some type of flour replacement that is low enough carbs that it doesn't trigger a binge, nor does it cause my blood sugar to go whacko. I don't want them all the time, but it would be so nice to be able to have a wrap for a sandwich or a tortilla or a piece of bread or an English Muffin, just every once in a while.

My sissy has finally seen the light and asked that I help her diet and low carb. So I want to try to phase her into these low carb gluten free breads also - as well as her family. She wants to do South Beach, so in Phase2 and Phase3 we can try adding back some of these things for her and see how she does. It's baby steps for her and I can certainly relate. Sorry for the long winded response! Shew! LOL.

Cheri! sweetie! Dang what you have been through girl!!!! But I just know better days are ahead for you! I'm so happy for all your accomplishments and for all you do here. Dottie as well! You guys just work so hard for all of us!!!!

Thanks for the probiotic information. I will email him and let him know about them. I'm afraid to be around him cuz Lordy I don't want that stuff! I'm so sorry you are having to deal with it. And the infection in your tummy!!! I would LOVE to see you when you come and it would be awesome to meet up with Dottie too!

I'm glad to hear your momma is doing great and hope your sisters and their families are well! Can't wait to catch up with you!!

(Dottie I always forget! How far down the coast are you? Are you only around Freeport area? Or are you Port A/Corpus area?)

Last edited by pooticus; 10-05-2010 at 03:01 PM..
Old 10-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Hi Pooti! Thought I'd stop by and check out your place. You have me wanting to try the Walden Farms stuff again!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Cheri! sweetie! Dang what you have been through girl!!!! But I just know better days are ahead for you! I'm so happy for all your accomplishments and for all you do here. Dottie as well! You guys just work so hard for all of us!!!!

Thanks for the probiotic information. I will email him and let him know about them. I'm afraid to be around him cuz Lordy I don't want that stuff! I'm so sorry you are having to deal with it. And the infection in your tummy!!! I would LOVE to see you when you come and it would be awesome to meet up with Dottie too!

I'm glad to hear your momma is doing great and hope your sisters and their families are well! Can't wait to catch up with you!!

(Dottie I always forget! How far down the coast are you? Are you only around Freeport area? Or are you Port A/Corpus area?)
I called my doctor today and asked him if at this point if I am contagious and they said as long as they don't touch your poops then its okay. Gross I know but I had to tell ya so you wouldn't be afraid of catching it.. I had to ask about it because I may be helping my sister with Edward in a few weeks and do not want to be around him at all if I could pass it on to him.

I can't wait till we catch up too Poot! I hope it will be soon.

cheri
Old 10-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We'll be crossing the pond in November and I'll be spending the first Thanksgiving in years in the States. For the first time in my life we're going to California, near Los Angeles. Until now, we've always gone to Austin. DS went to UT at age 18 and wouldn't budge from Austin till he was 42. Last year he got an offer he couldn't refuse in California. I love Austin, and I hope they eventually go back there.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, is there really a shortage of Libby's pumpkin? Should I use some of my precious suitcase weight bringing a couple of cans from London?

Pat
Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #28
the condiment queen

Hi Jiggles! Great to see you and thanks for popping in! How is your JUDDD going? Haven't seen you on the DD menus recently? and let me know how your doing ok?! I was gonna do your menu on Monday and realized I was out of shrimp. Thought I still had some in the freezer. But I've realized since my Monday day of experimenting that I just prefer not eating during the day on my DDs. It leads me to much less thoughts of food and anxiety about tracking stuff. It's much easier for me to just input one meal into ****** in the morning and be pretty much done with the food plan for the day. That way no surprises, I know what I'm sposed to do at night, etc. (Now the only thing is that sometimes the plan changes unexpectedly! Gosh, hate when that happens!)

Cheri, thanks so much about the contagion information! The thing that concerns me is that sometimes (and this will be gross so warnings to the squeemish!) people have the best intentions and think they thoroughly practice good hygiene but unknowingly transmit personal hygiene germs to various other surfaces in their home, car, personal space, etc. They think they've washed well, but I am gonna tell you just from working in the hospitals for many years in a lab, it isn't that easy. If it were, we wouldn't have the issues we have with the wide spread problems like MRSA, MSSA, CDiff etc...with increasingly harder to combat strains of these marauders. So I don't think we have to only be concerned with touchin someones poop. You know? It could be touchin their coffee cup or wine glass or some other vehicle of conveyance of these super bugs - or even shaking their hands! When Mom was in Hospice, there were 8 different people come into the rooms immediately to her left and right. She was there for 14 days and so many of these people were only there for a day or two...but they all were dying of MRSA! And they had the quarantine signs up. But I saw the Hospice people go in and out without masks, gloves, gowns. They were pretty cavalier about not getting anything and having super immunity. Trouble is...you don't have to GET something to be a carrier of it. And my mom paid that ultimate price of their cavalier attitude. She became septic due to an MSSA infection she was "given" courtesy of the nursing staff in Methodist Hospital's Rehabilitation Ward (for those of you who don't know, Methodist is a huge and influential hospital in the Houston area - especially in the Med Center where Mom was treated). The MSSA attacked her nervous system as well as her blood system.

Don't mean to get off track here, sorry again for longwinded replies! :blush: But maybe this will help you see my reservations about being around him right now while it's still active. He's only on the second round of antibiotics and they don't know yet whether this one is working. I just can't afford a $1000.00 script for Vancomycin! With no insurance it would be a case of looking at me and saying, "Yep, she's a goner!"

Cheri it sounds like we may need a phone call to catch up soon! !!!

Pat how fun for you! My brother and SIL live in Austin and I went to school at UT there. Beautiful town and as weird as they like to claim too! You will love California as well. How great for your son to have that kind of offer!!! Where does he live in California?

Too bad you won't be in Texas! I'm not too sure about the pumpkin shortage. There's a thread in the main lobby that claims the pumpkin shortage is over? I'm actually gonna be buying a few cans today!!! If the cool weather holds out, I'm making pumpkin sausage soup for tomorrow night! Oh happy days, I love that stuff!!! Is today a DD for you? It's a DD for me today.

Last edited by pooticus; 10-06-2010 at 08:39 AM..
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #29
the condiment queen

Weight - 259.4lbs (Post Poopy)
Fasting Blood Glucose - 106
(Not happy about this reading at all!)

Yesterday was an UD and it's not unusual to see the scale fluctuate upwards the day after an UD. When I conscientiously low carb and watch my calories, I do pretty well with the scale readings being fairly even after an UD. But, when I eat higher carb (toward the 60g area) it will go up 1-2lbs. I'm not worried about it. It will mostly be gone by tomorrow.

What caused it? Well, I experimented with a gluten free cornbread yesterday. I intended to experiment with it as well as with English Muffins but at 10pm last night, I was still jackin with the durned cornbread. I must say, although tasty, it was a failed experiment and in desperation I just "tumped in" some cornmeal just to get it to cook till done so that I could clean the kitchen and get to bed. As it was it was 10:30pm before everything was done and we could eat dinner! (We're late eaters but that is pushing the envelope even for me!) And it was 12:45am before I got the kitchen cleaned and got to bed!

I had thought I would "make it out alive" without blood sugar impact as a result of the cornbread last night. I had a piece of it with dinner and only saw a spike to 108. I was pretty excited and hopeful. Unfortunately, I think the inulin and chia along with the potroast with more fat than usual contributed to delayed stomach emptying again and I am guessing I didn't catch the "true spike" which probably occurred somewhere in the 3-6hour window (which was while I was sleepin). I say that because my fasting glucose this morning was 106. Something I am NOT happy about at all! I want to keep going in the right direction with the glucose readings and that is in the low to mid 90s!

So was it the cornbread? Was it a combination of eating it with a potroast that also had cooked carrots, onions, green beans, and radishes - significant carbs in the entree itself. Or was it also a factor of eating late at night? But maybe tomorrow I am going to test it all by itself with a 4 hour fasting test to see how I do with it before saying that I will no longer eat that! Another factor to look at is that I didn't fast on Monday like I have been. I really think the intermittent fasting part of all of this plays an important role in keeping my blood sugars down. So I'm going back to fasting today until dinner time, then eating a strictly low carb dinner today!

I'm pretty tired and achy today as well. No doubt the less than 6hours of sleep contributed to that. Although most nights I only get about 6 hours of rest. But I am ready to be done with the bone and muscle aches that have been plaguing me for the last 2 weeks!!!

I didn't enter all my food into ****** because it would take too long to enter the failed cornbread recipe and make a custom single portion food. I don't want to bother with doing it since it won't be a recipe I will bother repeating. Plus, I'm trying not to have to track my foods everyday. But I will post what all I ate yesterday and it was alot! I'm sure I was over on protein into the 100+grams.

This will be confusing cuz somehow in the posts above I got my dates and days out of whack! :blush: I'm challenged. I'll just say "nuff said" about that!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 UD (Up Day) Menu

B - 1c Dannon Whole Fat Plain Yogurt
1/4 Large Granny Smith Apple
1/2 oz Crispy Walnuts
2 tsp Torani Pumpkin Pie Syrup
1 scoop Chia Seeds
1/2 tsp Cinnamon

L - 1 c Green Curry Broccoli/Cauliflower Soup with 1tsp Sambal Oelek
1 Hard Boiled Egg
3 slices Tyson Boiled Ham
1 String Cheese

AS - 4 Crispy Walnut Halves

D - 4oz Chuck Potroast
3 Baby Cooked Carrots
1/4 Medium Onion
3 Radishes
1/4c Green Beans
1 tsp Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Balsamic Vinegar, 1/4 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 slice Gluten Free Cornbread
1 Tbsp Butter

BS - 1 Lindt 85% Cacao Chocolate Square
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #30
Administrator

How about a revolution roll based corn bread?
I make 4 rolls using:

2 large eggs
3T cottage cheese
2T coconut flour
pinch cream of tartar
salt

Calories 234 Carbs 11 Fiber 6 for the whole recipe

adding 1T cornmeal (and maybe a teaspoon to dust the muffin top pans?) would only add 30cals and 5g carbs for the whole recipe. I'd think you might want a little more liquid, so an additional T of cottage cheese maybe?
Closed Thread