Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
Raini's Ramblings

Hmmm... Don't know how I missed this "Blog" spot, but I'm glad I found it. It gives me a place to ramble without taking up space on someone else's thread. And, while I obviously don't mind if anyone else reads it, (else why would I post it here???) I am not going to freak out if it goes unnoticed, unread or unanswered.

In August of last year I began my weight loss journey for the bzillionth time. I believe my all-time high weight was 307, and that was last summer. I had done Atkins before, and had done well on it; but when we made our move from Oregon to the Puget Sound, I got totally overwhelmed and lost focus. We were designing our new home and looking for a way to finance it, we were cleaning out 30 years of "our" stuff from a large home (as well as things that belonged to my parents and I hadn't been able to part with), we were meeting with sub-contractors about our new home, and we were dealing with "The County" over permits and such. (We almost had to do an "eagle study" to make certain no eagles were living anywhere near our property. Also, the County kept raising fees as were were applying for permits.)

With all of the stress, I developed Bells Palsy. The right side of my face went numb, I couldn't blink my right eye at all, I had difficulty eating, and looked ridiculous when smiling. I had to constantly put drops in my eye during the day, and slept with a patch on it during the night. The doc said I could go blind if my eye got too dry. In addition to all of the other symptoms, I lost my sense of taste completely. Thus began my over-eating, and the regaining of all my weight, plus some additional pounds.

I know it made no sense, but when my sense of taste disapperared, I kept eating... just one more bite, just one more bite... believing that maybe I could actually taste the next bite. Too bad I didn't just eat less... with the realization that I wasn't tasting it anyway, so why eat it? When the doc put me on steroids, somehow the subject of my wheat allergy came up. He said, "Well, you can eat all the wheat you want now. While you're on steroids, you aren't allergic." Why didn't alarms go off in my brain??? I foolishly thought I could eat wheat with no side effects... except I forgot about the worst side effect: weight gain!

For a year we lived most of the time on the island in our RV, and a little part of the time in our home in Oregon. Summer in the RV was fun. Fall and winter were miserable. We spent most of the time at the building site, and didn't have access to a decent grocery store. I missed my big kitchens (we had two in our Oregon home) and all the storage. I had little time to plan or cook meals, and we grabbed fast food from the tiny deli on the island. I had lots of excuses and I used them all!

Last spring it all caught up with me. We had been traveling in the RV and were eating out most of the time. I was rarely LC'ing and I was eating wheat on an almost regular basis. My wheat allergy went from just affecting my scalp to affecting my knees and ankles. They had swollen so much and were so painful that I could barely walk. I told my husband that I was very close to ending up on one of those little mobility scooters, destined to keep on gaining weight and never being able to walk again.

By August I realized that nothing else was going to work. Low-carb was the only thing I could stick with, feel good and not have cravings. I lost close to 20 pounds before our cruise in October, and have lost another 10 pounds since then. Yeah... that's really slow, but we've had three deaths in the family since November, and life has been stressful and hectic. I'm just now finding time to exercise and to plan (and prepare) good meals.

Today I got to feel some of the same excitement that I felt the first time I did Atkins. I've finally lost enough that several people have made comments about how good I'm looking these days, and I also tried on some clothes that hadn't fit in a long time. They fit now! And I have a lot more that I've saved. I'm looking forward to my "new" wardrobe... mostly clothing I haven't worn in the past 4 years. I won't run out of clothes until I get to a size 18. (Anything smaller than that would be too old for me to wear. :ROFL: )

So I'll be posting here as I progress... this blog gives me motivation to post regularly, and not to feel guilty if I have nothing nice to say... which happens once in awhile. I don't like raining on other people's parades, so usually if I'm feeling down, I just stay away. Now, hopefully, I won't.

Tomorrow is another day mostly off-island, so I need to get prepared, emotionally and physically. We leave too early for me to have breakfast here, and temptations are strong!
raini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thought I was prepared for being off-island today, but couldn't face a sweet Atkins bar this morning and didn't have time for eggs. So I left home with no breakfast in my belly. However, I did take a protein bar with me, and discovered I was less fussy by the time I was truly hungry!

Lunch was at a buffet, and I ate roast beef, a pork rib, baked salmon, Brussel sprouts and broccoli. For my beverage, I ordered hot decaf tea and a cup of ice. I made my own iced tea that way, instead of having theirs.

I had meat loaf for dinner, and a LC coconut cupcake for dessert.

Dh asked if I'd like to exercise when we got home from the mainland this evening. I really, really DID want to, and was glad he reminded me. Usually, if I don't exercise early, I don't do it at all. It felt great.

Our really big kitty exercised with me. She lays on her back and rolls from side to side. After I was done, she jumped around, cavorted, raced through the house and did all sorts of silly things that usually only our two younger (and svelt) cats do. I'm proud of her: she was 18 pounds when we adopted her, and now weighs 15 pounds. She used to do nothing but eat and lie around. Now she exercises with me and has developed a very fun and playful attitude. Our vet was both surprised and proud of her. He said that once they are this big, they usually don't lose the weight.

Tomorrow is another challenge- once again we'll be off-island. (This is getting very expensive, as well as annoying.) It will be the third time in less than a week that we've taken the Jeep in to be serviced. The first time, one shop worked on it and couldn't fix it. The second shop said they didn't have time and we should bring it back today. Today we took it back and discovered that the car dealership never submitted the service policy that we paid $1670. for. By the time that was all straightened out, the repair shop didn't have time to work on Jeep. Now we have to take it back again. Arrggghhh!

Also having more problems with Ford Credit. First they wouldn't let us make payments on FIL's truck, because he is deceased and they wanted a death certificate. We sent them that, but they asked for proof of inheritance. After several weeks, everything was lined up to pay it off, and we sent an $18,000. check to them by certified mail. Today we checked to make sure they received it.... and they haven't! So I was told that they would not have accepted certified mail. Guess who told us to send it certified? The post office.... another Aaarrrgghhhhh! And when Ford does send the title (IF they do) they refuse to send it to us. Said it has to go to FIL's address. Problem is, all of his mail is being "returned to sender" because he is deceased. <sigh> So Ford promised to see what they could do and to call us back.... which they didn't.

I guess the nicest thing I can do for me right now is to get to bed so I'm well rested for Round Three tomorrow...
Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Had to spend another day off-island yesterday, and I was too tired to post when we got back. But I did have a pretty good day, LC speaking.

We did take the Jeep in to have the air conditioning unit replaced. It was supposed to be a 4 and 1/2 hour job but took just an hour and a half. Can't figure out why they thought it would be so much more. Anyway, we went prepared to spend most of the day there, and I was barely into my cross-stitch project when it was time to leave.

So we went to lunch, once again, at the buffet. I had roast beef, duck, a small piece of pork loin, shrimp dipped in butter and a little bit of crab. Also some broccoli. Once again I made my own iced tea from decaf hot tea. I didn't go near the desserts, because even the SF ones have flour in them.

When we got home, I exercised. I wasn't really motivated to this time, and I couldn't figure out why. But I did it and I'm glad I did.

Today I am on the computer early because I was dealing with the Ford Credit thing again. I'll be glad when this nonsense is over. God help me, I'll never have to deal with them again. At least I know they've received the check and that the title has been released. The problem now is that they don't want to send the title to us. They want to send it to FIL's address, and his mail isn't going there anymore. So they told us today that we can apply for a lost title. Why should we apply for a lost title ($$$ and time!) when they are the ones being so unreasonable?

My plans for today are to exercise, plan meals, clean the microwave and then find something to do that I WANT to do. Maybe cross-stitch or maybe work on an altered journal. I am realizing the need to take care of myself and my needs, or I'm in no shape to take care of others.

I've also made a decision to "choose my battles." DH is dyslexic and doesn't communicate too well. You'd think that after all these years of being married, I'd be used to it. But when we're in a store and he says something out of the blue like, "Yeah, he's trying to get back to the island to catch the ferry," and I haven't seen a "he" and dh hasn't explained that he was talking to someone on the other aisle, I get frustrated. Then I say, "Who is trying to catch the ferry?" and dh says, "The guy that drives that truck." And I say "What truck?" And dh says, "The one that had a flat tire once," like I'm supposed to know who had a flat tire once. Why don'y I just let it go? I could say, Oh, okay," and pretend that I know what he's talking about. But I don't. I keep hammering away, trying to figure out what he's talking about. It doesn't just frustrate me; it frustrates him. Why can't I just let it go? I know that this is how he talks, and after all these years I'm not going to change him.

I think that I am concerned that he is going to get Alzheimer's, like his mom. I keep seeing things that I think are indicators. A couple of days ago we were getting onto the freeway and he accelerated to 70 MPH where the speed limit is 60. When I asked him to slow down, he replied, "I'm just getting up to speed." I said, "The speed limit is 60. You're way past 60." He repeated, "But I'm just getting up to speed." I said, "70 is way above 60. How can you get 'up' to speed when you're already way past it?"

The we were in Costco and he started talking about buying a tent that attaches to the back of our Jeep. We had one once, and he sold it to our neighbor. He said that we never used it and didn't need it. So, he said, "I wonder what ever happened to that other tent we used to have? I think it was at my mom's." I just looked at him and said, "PLEASE tell me that you know that you sold that tent to Jimmy." Even when I reminded him, he didn't remember. It scares me sometimes.

However, regardless of the way he communicates and regardless of the things he can't remember, he is my DH and I love him. So I need to act like I love him and treat him like someone who is important to me. I need to quit badgering him and trying to make him communicate differently (since it's not going to happen anyway) and stop getting mad when he doesn't remember something. That won't change anything anyway.

What does all of this have to do with LC? Hey, it's all connected... feelings, emotions, eating, behaviors... I want to be the best person I can be. I want to love and respect myself; and I want to love and respect those around me. I want to be the person that God created me to be.

So.... I'm off to breakfast (late!) and exercise.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ugh... Part of taking care of myself has been trying to get to sleep by midnight. After years of a stressful job at the hospital, and often getting to bed by 3 a.m., I've been trying to work on 8 hours of sleep, and getting up no later than 8 a.m. Way too often it's more like 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. after getting to sleep at 12:30 or 1:00 a.m. But I'm working on it.

Last night (ahem..."this morning") I messed up because of lack of will power. A friend brought by three books and a DVD for me. I read one book last night and was ready to go to sleep by midnight. But I wanted just a peak of the next book, so I planned to read the first chapter. By 2:00 a.m. I knew I'd better put the book down or I'd be up all night.

I woke up at 5:52 a.m. (according to dh's bedside clock), used the bathroom and reset my alarm from 7 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. I woke up before 10, but felt plenty rested so I got up. I feel like I'm pretty much back on track, except I'm quite late for our crafter's gathering and now won't show up until lunch time. I still need to exercise before I leave the house. Gotta watch those night time hours! Old habits die hard.

My clothes are looser now, and I can get back into three nice dresses that haven't fit in the last four years. I also have a pair of corduroy slacks that I haven't worn in years. (Last time I lost weight they were way too big by the time I finally got around to trying them on.) I'm not even sure they are in style anymore, but they are a "comfort" fabric for me and I'll probably wear them around the island, anyway. (My grandma made little jumpsuits for me out of corduroy when I was little. So comfy and nice. Still a favorite fabric, in style or not.)

So yesterday's theme apparently was "the best laid plans" yada yada... lots of unexpected things kept happening, and yet I managed to get my exercise time in and didn't eat anything I shouldn't. Admittedly, I only had two little slices of avocado for lunch because I was so busy; but I didn't cave in and grab any of dh's junk foods as filler. Come dinner time, I was tempted to grab a few leftovers and call it good, but I made the effort to prepare a wonderful salad, * cauli-taters and ham. (*Salad: sliced cucumbers, chopped cilantro, chopped tomato, cubed avocado and sliced red pepper with a dressing of lime juice with Stevia. Delish! )

Tonight will be a challenge, because I will have been gone all day and probably won't feel like working in the kitchen. But I'm planning eggplant parmigiana and hope I follow through.

Another curve ball this week: I'm on antibiotics for an inflammation under a root canal, and can't take meds or eat food near the time I take the antibiotics. So I really have to plan my day and my "pill-popping" times. They keyword here is PLAN, so I hope I do...
Old 04-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I managed to stay away from all the goodies at the craft gathering today... a heaping bowl of Mars candy bars, a bowl nearly overflowing with friendship bread, a box of some kind of marshmallow candies, luscious-smelling hot soup and corn muffins. Sadly, many of the ladies there don't need these things any more than I do. I love them all dearly and wish they would think more about their health.

One friend, close to my size, asked me (in front of all the others) what size clothing I wear. I told her, and then she offered to give me all of her clothes once she loses weight through WLS. While I thought her offer was quite generous, I didn't know exactly how to reply.... to say that I plan to keep on losing weight and hope that I not only won't need her clothing; but plan to give away mine as well. Only one of these ladies has said anything to me about my weight loss so far, yet I've lost 30 pounds and I'm already wearing smaller clothes. When I wear the usual clothes I had been wearing before, they hang on me and almost flap about when I walk. Anyway, I just smiled and gave some vague reply.

I didn't make the eggplant dish tonight after all. DH went to help a friend move (into MIL's former house) and had pizza over there. I had the same meal as last night- salad, ham and mashed cauliflower. I also had some leftover green beans.

I may weigh again tomorrow. I think it's been about a week since I last weighed and saw my 6 pound loss. I've eaten right and exercised almost every day since then, but I'm almost afraid that it won't be a big enough loss - that somehow I might "break the spell" of the excitement I felt last week. I'm also concerned about the effect the antibiotics might have on my body. They have stalled me in the past.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I weighed, and have lost just 1/2 pound since last week. Yes, I was discouraged, but I'm not giving in. I'm just going to remain diligent to this WOE, and keep track of everything that goes into my mouth. And keep exercising...

The antibiotics may well have something to do with it. Maybe I'll get a "whoosh" when I'm through with them...? I can only pray that I do.

Today's breakfast was a ham and cheese sandwich, using a flax pancake for the bread. And as much as I miss "real" bread, the pancake was really too much. I ended up taking off the top piece, and finishing my sandwich open-faced-style. One-half sandwich was plenty, although I did have a diet soda with it... something I'd planned NOT to do. Oh well... I guess I can always NOT have soda later, right?

I way overslept today, after several nights of not having enough sleep. Hope I'm caught up now. I have to get up early tomorrow for two Easter services, and have to get up early on Monday to head to Portland. Now I need to rescue the rest of the hours in this day.... so much to do and so little time! Shower, exercise, make flax crackers, make Easter eggs, choir practice, planning and packing for our trip.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Got on the scales this a.m. Again too soon, but wanted some encouragement to get me through the day. I've lost another 2 pounds, for a total of 32.5 pounds gone. Praise God!

We're having Easter dinner with friends, and although I've told them that I just eat meat and veggies, no telling what will be there. The wife is pretty well known for her homemade bread. I did make some LC "Jello" (without Jello brand, because it has aspartame in it.) Also boiled some eggs and colored them. And we're taking asparagus, as well.

I tried on another dress, in case I might want to wear it for Easter services. It was too big and looked sloppy on me. A mixed blessing, because it's a dress I really liked, but happy that I'm smaller and on to other, smaller clothes.

We're singing at two churches this morning, and the first service is much earlier than I'm used to. Trying to plan meds and meals... a little tricky today. Can't have food anytime near the antibiotics.

This Easter is another extra special one, keeping in mind all of the prayers that have gone up for Linda Sue's Jerry, waiting for a liver transplant... and getting it.. And he's doing so well!

Another special Easter was quite a few years ago. Kind of pales in comparison to Jerry's miracle, but it meant a lot to us. Our beautiful Golden Retriever puppy had gotten into our gardening shed and had eaten an entire box of slug bait the day before Easter. Our pastor broke the news to me while I was practicing for the Easter Cantata. Zekee wasn't expected to live... he was having horrible seizures and the vet had to put him in a medically induced coma. But the next morning, just before we left for church, the vet called. He said, "It's a beautiful Easter morning. The sun is shining, Christ has risen indeed, and... Zekee is up and walking around!"

Easter is a miracle day in itself. For Christ gave his life for all who will accept His gift of salvation. He changed MY life, and THAT is a miracle. And we have seen many miracles in our lives since then. As scary as this world can be, I'm thankful to have Him in my life.

Tomorrow and Tuesday will be challenging, as well. We'll be doing a quick road trip, so hours on the road and time in a hotel mean that I have to be diligent about staying on plan. I'll work on meal planning this evening.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did pretty well on the road trip, until we were on our way home, anyway.

I ate a hard-boiled egg on the drive down. When we got to Portland, we went to Wendy's and I had a bleu cheese burger with no bun. DH was eating a huge meal, so I was still hungry and just watching him eat when I was done with my food. I ended up buying a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, no bun. It ended up being a tiny patty, a chunk of lettuce, a slice of cheese and a little piece of bacon; but it was enough. I had a large glass of water with it. I did not touch any of DH's fries, and not even one bite of chili (even though I had planned ahead to have one bite.)

For dinner, we went to McCormick and Schmick's with DS and Ddil. I ordered halibut and salmon with asparagus in a saffron sauce. I did slip up and have a small piece of sourdough bread. Looking back, I can't say I really regret it.

When we checked into the hotel, they had a big kettle of vegetable beef soup waiting. I took a cup and avoided the potatoes and carrots. It was a nice, warm welcome on a cold and stormy night.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs and bacon. I did take a "little" sausage gravy, because the eggs were kind of gaggy all by themselves. I also had a cup of decaf tea. I stayed away from all of the biscuits, cinnamon rolls, cereals, toast, pancakes and high-sugar yogurt. I almost took a small cup of juice, but stopped myself. That felt good!

On the way home, DH said we should stop for a "light" lunch. Okay... I panicked. I am so used to watching him either over-eat or not eat at all. When he mentioned "light" lunch, I was sure I wouldn't get enough to eat to get me to dinner time back home. So I mentioned the Mexican buffet where we used to eat, thinking I could find some things on my WOE there. But they were shutting down the buffet when we arrived. I panicked again... now what? So I suggested Chinese food; and that's where I blew it. We were stuffed when we left, and most of it was stuff I shouldn't eat at all.

The good news is that I am back on plan. I am eating right, drinking lots of water and exercising. The schedule for my antibiotics keeps me to a pretty rigid schedule: no food for one hour after I take them, and no meds for 2 hours after I eat. So I keep setting the kitchen timer to help me remember what I'm doing.

An acquaintance keeps talking about her upcoming WLS. Now she says it may be in 6 weeks. I don't know why, but I'm a bit threatened by that. No... I am NOT threatened by that! I have weighed my options and have chosen not to go that route. I'm doing well with this WOL. Just because she talks about it non-stop, and I have chosen not to talk about my weight loss to anyone not here on LCF, doesn't mean I'm not doing anything. It simply means that I am DOING something about it... not TALKING about it.

I remember doing WW with a dear friend. She was always a little ahead of me, even though I was doing pretty well, too. Everywhere we went, she'd pull out her before-and-after photos-- to friends, to complete strangers, ANYBODY. I got tired of hearing it, and maybe they did, too. I don't want to do that. There are so many wonderful things to discuss that have nothing to do with weight loss! I save the weight loss topics for here, with others who are losing and others who need encouragement to lose.

Today's meals:
B- omelette with zucchini, cheese and green onion
L- left over zucchini lasagna with extra cheese and black olives
S- LC chocolate almond bark
D- ribeye steak with veggies (zucchini and onions, or green beans)
S- beef broth or chai tea or Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride Tea

I think I'm waiting for Monday for my next weigh-in.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: monet0329
Stats: to much!
WOE: lower carb :D
Start Date: Feb 28 2013.. (lc) down 61.5 pounds :)
..Hiya Raini...

I just wanted to come and say hello.. and thanks for stopping by my little space in here .. I think you are doing awesome.. I have read and caught up with you.. and all I can say is.. I'm glad I am not the only one who comes in here to ramble.. .. I love it.. it helps me clear my head so to speak.. .. If people don't want to know about what ever it is I am rambling on about.. they don't have to.. right.... but I think its a nice way to get to know people..

I love the miracles that God has done for you and Linda Sue.. I SO love her site.. .. God is just awesome if you ask me.. I have so much to be thankful for....

You keep plugging away girly.. your doing great!!... remember life does happen and we have to do what is best for us in the moment.. so if you have a bad meal.. start right back up just like you did after the Chinese... ( which if you read any of my journal.. you know that's my fav ..)..

you have a wonderful weekend sweetie..
★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ★
monet0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the kind words, Monet'. I've been enjoying your journal, as well as some of the others.

~
We're having a busy week-end, and I'm trying to squeeze some cooking in so that I can stay on track. I got up early yesterday and today to exercise, and plan to do the same tomorrow. Not sure if I can get up early enough for Monday... I think we're leaving the island early. Maybe we'll be home early enough in the evening so I can exercise then.

I'm spending a lot of time online, looking for ideas and inspiration. Since I have no RL friends doing low carb right now, and coming here is as close to attending meetings as I can get.

DH is feeling very talkative right now, so I'm not getting too much journaling done. Guess 'll go for now...
Old 04-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We had several days off-island, so not much has gotten done around here and little time to post. Yesterday seemed like a day lost after DH asked me to download new maps onto our GPS. I spent all morning doing that, and then the laptop shut down and I had to start all over. Did trouble shooting with tech support and reached some guy who obviously was doing something else while he walked me through stuff... maybe video games or something, because I had to keep repeating everything to him several times. He'd reply... "Uh-huh...ummmm..." and then not say anything. I had to ask him the same stuff over and over to get an answer. Grrrr.....

I did weigh, and lost just 1/2 pound. I know the antibiotics for my root canal have something to do with that. I am exercising (usually daily, except for the days we were off-island) and planning meals. I do need to cut back on snacks, even though they are LC. However, in my defense, I'd have to say they probably have helped me to not eat other, non-LC meals and snacks.

We're planning to leave the island for awhile... maybe a month. I kept pushing for it, and now I wonder if we should just stay home. It is so much easier to stay on program at home... not tempted by restaurants and fast-food places. But I've been working on menus, and plan to bake and freeze meals in single-servings. DH wants to eat "Happy Hour" meals at the beach, and if we do that, we need to go to places that have a nice dinner salad or something. Too many of those Happy Hour meals are fried fish with fries, or other high carb meals.

On the plus side, we can walk along the Boardwalk everyday if we like, and there is an indoor pool at the resort where we'll be staying the first two weeks. I'd like to find a lot of things to do that will keep us active, and not have a bunch of time to sit around and snack.

I changed my stats today to reflect 33 pounds gone. Just a drop in the bucket, really, but I'm glad they're gone and never want to see them again!

We watch Biggest Loser every week. I would be soooooo intimidated by Jillian. She seems downright cruel at times. Then I remember when Bob put on a vest filled with heavy weights to mimic how it would feel to be really heavy. I think he should have climbed on a treadmill and run with those weights on. Then he would have an idea of how it feels to be so heavy and then have people scream at him to keep on running. Jillian should try it, too. I think I recall her saying that she used to be heavy, but I don't think she was ever as heavy as the contestants they have there. Anyway, when I have a 1/2 pound loss, I imagine her yelling at me and telling me that I'm really not trying. And even a 3 or 4 pound weight loss seems to disappoint her. What ever happened to the advice to lose weight gradually and to make the WOE a WOL?

I still need to do my exercise for today, and then maybe get a salad ready for dinner. The sun is shining, and I think a walk would be nice, too.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #12

Hello Raini..

congrats on the 1/2 pound.. is is way better than no pound..lol and I agree with you about Jillian.. and that would be something to see them BOTH on the treadmills with the weights on.... and someone yelling.. go0o0 Jillian.. last chance.. yadda yadda... wouldn't that be something..

I am confused about when you say OFF the Island you get to walk on the beach... can't you do that ON the Island as well? Just curious..

KUTGW!!
Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Livywilltim-mom
Stats: 208/Jan 14/183/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 9, 2014
Hi Raini,

I LOVE your journal! My whole family sings in church and it brings us so much joy! God is good.

Peace
Livywilltim-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monet0329 View Post
I am confused about when you say OFF the Island you get to walk on the beach... can't you do that ON the Island as well? Just curious..
The beach on the island has coarse sand and chunky rocks, and it has a slant to it so it is difficult to walk on. The beach at the ocean has a Boardwalk, which is a couple of miles long (I'm guessing) and also has the huge expanse of more level walking area on firmer wet sand next to the water.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livywilltim-mom View Post
My whole family sings in church and it brings us so much joy! God is good. Peace
I would love to have an entire family of singers! But it's just me... Raised in an adoptive family without vocal talent. I am thankful they encouraged me to sing, and provided vocal and piano lessons even though that's not where their talents were.

God IS good!
Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woke up early this a.m. with all sorts of plans. then realized the pain behind my shoulder blade is not only NOT going away, but seems a little worse. I originally thought it was in the muscle, and that stretching and time would heal it. Not happening, and now I'm concerned. So I'm going to the doc this afternoon to see what's going on with that. Also have a couple of other bothersome symptoms... and on their own wouldn't concern me, but with several things happening at once, I think I need to get them checked out. Kind of scary... praying for doc to have wisdom.

Up a whole pound this a.m.! I know I shouldn't have weighed, but I thought I was down and wanted the encouragement of a loss. Didn't work. Oh well, I am going to go back to the really strict WOE, without all the little treats... even though they were LC. Also exercised early today to make sure I didn't have an excuse to skip it.

Time to head to the ferry... hair still wet from shower, and I need to pack lunch and dinner. I do NOT want to risk giving into temptation when I get hungry! Won't be back on island 'til late.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #17

You have lots of fun sweetie..
Old 04-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Doc's visit went well. He diagnosed it as a muscular problem and prescribed a muscle relaxant. Did some blood work, a CBC, to rule out other probs. Thinks my antibiotic, which I've just finished, might have been causing tiny broken blood vessels on my upper chest/neck area.

Did well with not eating until 2PM. Then I was really hungry and ate 4 meatballs leftover from last night's dinner. But by 7 PM I was still not home and grabbed tacos at Jack In The Box. Wish I would have left those things alone, because DH had a gorgeous steak and some green beans ready for me when I got home at 8 PM.

Hoping the meds will relieve some of the pain I've had for the last two weeks. It gets tiresome to be hurting in the same place day after day.

Tomorrow's a new day... Thank you Lord for fresh starts! And the weather is supposed to be nice, so maybe I can go for a long walk. Yeah.... that sounds nice!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raini View Post
Doc's visit went well. He diagnosed it as a muscular problem and prescribed a muscle relaxant. Did some blood work, a CBC, to rule out other probs. Thinks my antibiotic, which I've just finished, might have been causing tiny broken blood vessels on my upper chest/neck area.

Did well with not eating until 2PM. Then I was really hungry and ate 4 meatballs leftover from last night's dinner. But by 7 PM I was still not home and grabbed tacos at Jack In The Box. Wish I would have left those things alone, because DH had a gorgeous steak and some green beans ready for me when I got home at 8 PM.

Hoping the meds will relieve some of the pain I've had for the last two weeks. It gets tiresome to be hurting in the same place day after day.

Tomorrow's a new day... Thank you Lord for fresh starts! And the weather is supposed to be nice, so maybe I can go for a long walk. Yeah.... that sounds nice!

well I hope your back/ muscle gets better now .. and that nothing else shows up in your test.. ..

today is raini here.. hehehe.. so enjoy your lovely day and walk..
Old 04-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Looking back at yesterday's doc appt., I'm thinking I'm disappointed that he didn't notice my weight loss. I've lost most of the 33 pounds since I last saw him. Oh well, I am doing it for me, not for him!

I made Linda Sue's Beefy Mushroom soup for dinner tonight. It was sooooo good! I am saving half of the leftovers for lunch tomorrow, and the other half goes in the freezer for our beach trip. I can't believe how the pumpkin could add so much texture and substance to it and not add any recognizable pumpkin flavor.

I did exercise in the house, but I didn't get out and walk today. No excuse, even though I was going to use DH's reluctance to go with me as an excuse. I can't keep depending on him to go with me. There's no reason I can't walk alone.

Speaking of "alone"... I went off-island to the doc and for shopping all by myself yesterday. Now, that shouldn't be a big deal, but it was. I realised that since we've lived on the island, I've become almost too dependent on DH. (And maybe he has become too dependent on me, as well.) I parked at Wal-Mart, and then grew rather fearful about being in the parking lot without DH. It didn't help that the armoured truck drove up just then, either -- it wasn't that long ago that an armoured truck driver was murdered at that very location. That particular day, we were on our way to Wal-Mart, just blocks away, actually, and I told DH I really didn't want to mess with going there that day. Later we heard about the murder.

So I was edgy about being there alone, and then didn't like it when I had a grocery cart full of paid-for merchandise and needed to use the restroom. DH always is there to guard the cart, but not this time. And hauling everything out to the car and loading it in there wasn't a picnic, either. But I am certainly capable and need to exercise a little independence, at least.

Today's meals:
"Like" quiche and green beans
Small piece of Coney Island Chili Dog Pie, flax crackers w/butter
1/2 Atkins Daybreak Bar
1 ounce LC chocolate almond bark
Beefy Mushroom Soup, 1/2 LC Crispy Treat bar
Tea?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monet0329 View Post
today is raini here.. hehehe.. so enjoy your lovely day and walk..
Raini there? No, Raini here! But is was sunny and Raini didn't walk. Raini will next time, though!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #22

Did you have your tea? You have a ? beside it.. .. I enjoy a nice glass of tea with splenda in it every now and then... but I make sure I have my water in for the day first.. or no tea,...lol.. if not.. that's all I would drink..

It wasn't all so bad yesterday.. rained in the am... and a lil sprinkle later in the day.. but for the most part is was nice.. .. now today.. all sunshine,,

I did get my walk in yesterday and I hope I get another in today.. depends what goes on with my plumbing.. I may be catching up on laundry.. if all does well..lol.. if not.. I will have to load up ad go to the laundry mat.. I wouldn't know how many quarters to bring.. its been a while.. ( yearsss..) since I had to go to one.. I am sure the price is higher,., ..

ok.. gotta scoot..
Old 04-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Never got around to having tea last evening, but I had a hot cup of Chai this a.m. with breakfast. Thanks, Monet', for the reminder to drink my water. I'm usually really good about that, unless I'm off-island and not close to clean bathrooms! (pause to run for water...) Ahhh....

Breakfast this a.m. was a one-egg omelette with Havarti cheese and fresh mushrooms, and the above-mentioned cup of hot decaf Chai tea. Lunch will be leftover beefy mushroom soup from last night, and maybe some flax crackers. For dinner, DH is roasting a whole chicken on a Ronco Rotisserie; and I'm making a green salad, some kind of veggies and a Jello-like dessert. The type of veggies depend on whether or not we have company. I have asparagus enough for two people, but we'll have to have some other veggie if company comes.

I've been cleaning since 8 a.m. and I need to exercise soon. May or may not take a walk today... depends on the weather but NOT on DH! LOL

Tomorrow we may be going to another Rugby game to watch DGD. This will mean being prepared, food-wise, yet again. Maybe leftover chicken, if there is any.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Never got around to having tea last evening, but I had a hot cup of Chai this a.m. with breakfast. Thanks, Monet', for the reminder to drink my water. I'm usually really good about that, unless I'm off-island and not close to clean bathrooms! (pause to run for water...) Ahhh....

Breakfast this a.m. was a one-egg omelette with Havarti cheese and fresh mushrooms, and the above-mentioned cup of hot decaf Chai tea. Lunch will be leftover beefy mushroom soup from last night, and maybe some flax crackers. For dinner, DH is roasting a whole chicken on a Ronco Rotisserie; and I'm making a green salad, some kind of veggies and a Jello-like dessert. The type of veggies depend on whether or not we have company. I have asparagus enough for two people, but we'll have to have some other veggie if company comes.

I've been cleaning since 8 a.m. and I need to exercise soon. May or may not take a walk today... depends on the weather but NOT on DH! LOL

Tomorrow we may be going to another Rugby game to watch DGD. This will mean being prepared, food-wise, yet again. Maybe leftover chicken, if there is any.
That should be fun .. I don't believe I have ever seen a Rugby game.. ...If you have company.. have a great time.. or even if you don't heheh...

yes girly.. get that h2o in !!

oh and remember.. cleaning is exercise too..
Old 04-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rugby is wild!!! We've just seen two games so far, but it is very different from any other sport we've watched. It reminds me of a game maybe invented by kids just making up the rules as they went along: "Okay, when they throw the ball in from the side, we'll all lift one player up into the air to try to get it," or, "to determine who gets the ball, we'll all get in for a big group hug and then start shoving." Tackling is brutal, and I don't know what is "legally" allowed and what is not. But one girl will have the ball and a bunch others are chasing her and screaming "Get her! Knock her down!" Sometimes someone will grab her by the shirt and fling her to the ground. Play continues even when someone is knocked down and apparently hurt... unless they stay down for an extended time. Last week we saw one girl lying motionless for a very long time before play was stopped. Not a sport I would have chosen for my DGGs, but their mother chose it and they apparently like it.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Rugby is wild!!! We've just seen two games so far, but it is very different from any other sport we've watched. It reminds me of a game maybe invented by kids just making up the rules as they went along: "Okay, when they throw the ball in from the side, we'll all lift one player up into the air to try to get it," or, "to determine who gets the ball, we'll all get in for a big group hug and then start shoving." Tackling is brutal, and I don't know what is "legally" allowed and what is not. But one girl will have the ball and a bunch others are chasing her and screaming "Get her! Knock her down!" Sometimes someone will grab her by the shirt and fling her to the ground. Play continues even when someone is knocked down and apparently hurt... unless they stay down for an extended time. Last week we saw one girl lying motionless for a very long time before play was stopped. Not a sport I would have chosen for my DGGs, but their mother chose it and they apparently like it.
oh wow.. that sounds rough... I don't think I would want mine playing either..lol.. and they say hockey is rough..
Old 04-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #27

Good morning to youuu!!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

<BIG sigh> I packed a lovely picnic lunch to have after the Rugby game, but DH said he was really hungry before the game. Rather than scarf down the lunch I'd packed, we went to Jack in the Box. DH had two dollar sandwiches, and I had a more expensive sirloin burger minus the bun. It was quite filling, and I was proud that I didn't eat anything off plan.

However... after the Rugby game, we had shopping to do. I was getting pretty hungry, and would have liked to find a spot for our picnic. But DH was wanting to either go home to eat, or find a restaurant. We went to Happy Teriaki. I really wanted their beef ribs, but I know they have a lot of sugar in them, so I ordered almond chicken instead. But my meal was so boring and bland that I was going to have "just one bite" of DH's General Tao chicken... which ended up being about 6 bites. Rats... I ate about 1/2 of my almond chicken, and didn't have any of the fried rice. Told DH that all the leftovers were his... just didn't want to deal with any more temptation.

So we came home and later I was really hungry. I decided to have half of my chicken salad sandwich (with flax pancake for bread) and some celery. It was really, really good, so I decided to have the other half. And then I ate nuts. And more nuts. And more nuts. I ate until I was stuffed, and then I felt awful. Sure it was all low carb, but I was out of control. I haven't eaten like that in a very long time. I was so disappointed!

I can't do much more than chalk it up as a learning experience. What did I learn? Well, I learned that I might think that I've got everything under control, but I don't. I can't let my guard down at all.

I'm also learning that even though DH wants me to lose weight, I think that he feels threatened when I do have things under control. Why else would he eat things that he normally doesn't eat- chicken and dumplings, for crying out loud! He HATES chicken and dumplings, but he knows I love them; and he ate chicken and dumplings at a buffet last week! Desserts.... cookies... and CANDY BARS! He bought a big box of chocolate bars yesterday, and he never does that. (Might I add that DH is borderline-diabetic and doesn't need this stuff either???)

So, it's up to me... the eating, the exercise, the self-control. Even if DH was more helpful, I'd still need it to be up to me to do this.

So far I've done really well today. I had a fairly small breakfast of leftover quiche. Then I had a big bite of the pork ribs I have in the crockpot as a snack.

We went for a 1.4 mile walk (felt much further!) and did one of the "hilly" walks in our own area. Also played badminton for about 15 minutes.... I wanted to play more, but DH didn't.

For lunch I ate a chicken salad sandwich (again with the flax pancake for bread, but ended up eating it open-faced with less "bread.") I also had another bite of the pork ribs, and then 1/2 ounce of chocolate almond bark.

Dinner will be pork ribs and some sort of veggie... maybe the last of the asparagus. I'm hoping to have hot decaf tea later in the evening, and make that a habit so I'm not doing any late-night snacking.

Oh-oh-oh! I remembered!!! I wanted to start a 100 day chart for exercise, and had planned to start it today. So I'm calling this DAY 1, and hoping I actually get the chart made! If I can find a sticky note, I can put it on my PC to remind me eacg day.

So, DAY 1 it is!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #29

hiya Raini.. .. so you had a munchy day.. you did betetr today.. so keep marching on girly!!..

your chart will be good for you !!.. don't forget to make it ... if you haven't already..

have a great day 2
Old 04-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today is Day 2 of my own personal 100 Day Challenge (because everyone else started like 50 days ago! LOL

Got on the scales this a.m. and got rid of the pound I gained last week. Whew! Sadly, I realize I could have been down even further had I not had the super-munchy day; but that's over and I am back on track. That makes me down 33.5 pounds since my last re-start.

I'm driving to Portland with friends on Thursday, and DH keeps telling me (while I'm on the phone) to tell them about the great Chinese restaurant right next to where we're going. I finally asked him to quit doing that, because I'd like to find something healthier for me. I think I'll pack some LC snacks... if I can stave off hunger, I'm less likely to cave in and eat what everyone else is eating. We're all taking a class together, and the teacher used to always have bowls of candy on hand for the students. I don't want to go in there hungry!

Today's menus-
S- 1/2 Flax cracker w/ pb
M1- pb/chocolate shake
M2- beefy mushroom soup
M3- leftover ribs, maybe green salad, veggies
S- decaf tea

Exercise- haven't decided yet. If it's nice enough to walk, I might... but it is supposed to rain. If not a walk, at least 20 minutes exercise with video. Maybe some time on recumbant cycle.