Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #1531
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: monet0329
Stats: to much!
WOE: lower carb :D
Start Date: Feb 28 2013.. (lc) down 61.5 pounds :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raini View Post
Thanks for the Sprinkles Lisa! They are beautiful!!!

HELLO HELLO HELLO!!! I am BACK!!! Praise God for New Years and New beginnings!!! His Mercies are new every MORNING, but it's nice to have a fresher slate to start out with for the year.

I'm trying the raw vegan stuff again, and trying to keep the carbs down as well. I may do some switching out of eating plans to do what my body responds to best, but bread and wheat products will NOT be in any plan I choose! My body doesn't do wheat well and it is time I respected that.

There is a doc here that we are getting to know a bit socially, and when I asked her some wheat questions, she said that there are at least 42 diseases known to be negatively influenced by wheat consumption. Now, I love my own doc, but this gal is very interested in alternative medicines, and I believe that means that she considers nutrition a vital part of one's health--- not just something people use when they need to lose weight, but in every day living. Dh still considers "healthy foods" just some sort of fad that he doesn't need to care about because he isn't overweight.

It's odd, because I often feel jealous that he can eat pretty much whatever he wants, but he really can't, or shouldn't. His mom had Alzheimer's, and I don't think he should be eating wheat. I did get him off potato chips, but he still loves his wheat: breads, gravy and sauces and other dishes made with wheat. Even though he seems healthy despite his WOE, he would be a lot healthier if he ate better. But since he won't let me help him (and it would help ME if we worked on getting healthier together) then I need to focus on doing what I can for myself.

First social event of the New Year is coming up Saturday... a party at our house. I told dh NO as far as having me make fudge. I don't want it around and I bet most people don't either. I am going to make up the jar of cookie mix that dd gave us for Christmas. Hope I can keep my lil paws out of them! Wish we'd made them while all our company was still here and they would be gone by now.

Let's make 2013 our healthiest year ever!

my DH is the same.. :/
monet0329 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #1532
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BellaRose
Happy New Year

Wishing You, everyone else and me.....

That we can make this a healthier
and thinner year in 2013!
BellaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #1533
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaRose View Post

AMEN! Wishing you the same!!! <3
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #1534
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: monet0329
Stats: to much!
WOE: lower carb :D
Start Date: Feb 28 2013.. (lc) down 61.5 pounds :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaRose View Post

monet0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #1535
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow... four months since I posted here. Silly me... I couldn't even find this thread for awhile.

No more LC for me... my kidneys have not been functioning properly. Even though I just learned that a month ago, looking back at lab tests show that they were not functioning four years ago. I haven't checked with my doc back in Portland, but I'd like to see any lab work from 7 years ago or more. Not in any hurry, though. It won't make a difference I guess.

I am feeling well, however; and losing weight although very slowly. I spend a lot of time looking at raw vegan tutorials on youtube, and dh and I are both enjoying lots of new recipes that we never thought we'd be trying. There's a whole new world of foods out there!

A sweet friend recently remarked, "Sometimes it's when we're limited with what we can have that we really start getting creative." To me, salads used to be something that I hated to make, but enjoyed eating. But when I remember the few ingredients I used to put in a salad I have to laugh- lettuce, maybe cucumber and a tomato and sometimes a green onion. Now there's a small base of romaine, then jicama, zucchini, cucumber, radishes, avocado, green onions, red and/or green cabbage, some sort of nuts and maybe a bit of fruit or raisins or dried cranberries.

I'm learning to make Thai dishes that we both love. We still eat meat on occasion, but I don't enjoy it too much and I HATE handling the dead stuff. I don't like having to wash the pans afterwards, either. You have to admit, there's no nasty animal fat to have to wash off of vegan utensils!

I'll probably still post in this thread once in awhile, if I can find it! LOL It gives me some sort of record of my journey.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #1536
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been praying about an upcoming appointment for an echocardiogram. I was kind of thinking "why bother?" If it shows nothing wrong with my heart, it will have been a waste of time and money. If it shows something wrong with my heart, what are they going to do? "Monitor" it like they've been doing with my kidneys? (Monitor seems to be another word for charging me for a lot of appointments and lab tests that lead to nothing more than more monitoring!) Or maybe they will prescribe some sort of medication that will have a bunch of side effects that are worse than the actual disease... or that will actually cause another disease. No thank you.

I woke up this morning with severe vertigo and shooting pains in my lower back. I didn't want to cancel tomorrow's appointment at the last minute, so I decided to cancel it now instead. I actually moved it to the end of next month, but I'm not sure I'm going to follow through then, either - for all the reasons I listed above.

After I'd changed my appointment, someone from the hospital called to pre-register me, since she hadn't been notified that I wasn't coming in. During our conversation, she mentioned that I needed to be ready to pay about $244 when I do come in. I asked if my insurance covers that, and she explained that the $244 is the 10% that the insurance doesn't cover. Wow- that means my one hour appointment costs $2440! Funny how the bills keep adding up, when not one solitary thing has been done to improve my health! Just "monitoring" it! Right...

I am ACTIVELY improving my health with healthy eating and with exercise. That $244 is going towards a Champion Juicer that will last the rest of my life and then probably for the life of one of my kids or their kids. We also bought two of our kids each a Vita Mix so they can start getting healthier, too. They don't have weight problems, but that doesn't mean they are healthy! (We'd buy them for the other two kids if they were interested in getting healthy, as well.)

Last night we had the most delicious cold soup! (Dh used to hate cold soups, but he is a fan of this one.) It had lemon juice, avocado, macadamia nut oil, daikon radish, jicama, celery, ginger, Celtic Sea salt, jalapeno and Heaven knows what else in it. I never would have tried this recipe if I hadn't had the opportunity to taste it at our raw vegan class. Now it goes into our list of favorites!

I am on top of my game today: I've exercised twice, been drinking all my water, my juice and my Barley Max and I've gotten a lot of chores done around the house. And all this with my vertigo and the pain spasms in my back. I have impressed myself today. LOL I am off to do my on-line class and then fix dinner.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #1537
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmmm... where did I go? Guess I got caught up with all the house guests we've had and all the other stuff that life brings.

I have not kept any of my medical appointments and now I'm almost afraid to actually show up for one and then get yelled at for waiting so long. A couple of weeks ago I got a phone call that was a recorded message, telling me I had an appt for the following day. Well, it was the wrong day, the wrong month AND at the wrong hospital! I called them to advise them of their mistake (AGAIN because this is the third time.) No apologies for messing up and wasting my time, and she actually made it sound like she was doing me a favor by rescheduling it for when it was supposed to be in the first place. She also mentioned that she would "change it this time since it was at the wrong facility." So was she saying that even though it was also the wrong day of the week and the wrong month that they wouldn't have let me change it? Good grief.

Yesterday I took the plunge and began a 15 day program that is designed to clean out my gut, help me start better habits and get me back on track to better health. It will actually be a 22 day program for me, because it is advised that I repeat phases 1 and 2 since I have more than 10 pounds to lose. (WAY more!) So I am going to try to check in here daily or almost daily at least through this process.

I lost 2.5 pounds since beginning the program yesterday. Yes, it may have been water weight and waste, but I've been retaining fluids so I'm glad to have 2.5 pounds less of anything on board. LOL

Everything I eat on this program is from scratch, made from vegan ingredients and is all organic unless there is something I can't find in organics. The first three days are "shakes" and cold soups, and then I move on to salads. In two days so far I have only gotten hungry when I have been late for a meal or missed a snack. The program calls for 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, and I'm having trouble eating that often. It is now past dinner time and I still have not had my lunch or afternoon snack. Now see? I am glad I am putting this down in writing so I can acknowledge the seriousness of it and do something about it.

Yesterday I was not able to keep on schedule with my meals either. I woke up way too early and eventually went back to bed. Then I slept too late, so I was already behind schedule. There were many distractions and interruptions during the day, and I did not eat nearly enough.

Today I got an earlier start, albeit not early enough and I want to try to do better. Again I had numerous distractions, and an obligation to fulfill (making gift bags for a charity event) so those are my excuses for the day. The bags are done and I will try to do better from here on out.

I am amazed at how getting on track can help me feel better in such a short period of time! I am moving better and without pain and I have had no cravings at all. This just goes to show that if I fuel my body with what it truly needs instead of what I think I want, I will have better results.

Side note: A young friend of mine (in her 20's) told me that she only eats to provide fuel for her body. She is not tempted by any junk foods or anything that wouldn't provide good nourishment. She is one of the healthiest people I've known, and I doubt that she will ever have to struggle with weight issues and will probably avoid many other health issues as well.

How I would love to go to the beach and be focused on flying kites, renting a dune buggy or chasing waves instead of wondering who has the best fish and chips.

My goal last year was to be at such a weight this summer that I could go Aqua Podding in the lakes here on the island with my husband. I honestly believe that I turn to food for entertainment because I am not physically fit enough to do the things I really want to do.

There is one fact I need to come to terms with: If I eat like "normal" people, I gain a lot of weight and I gain it rapidly. If I "diet" like a lot of people, I can maintain my weight but I will not lose it. To actually lose weight and to get healthy, I need to completely revamp my way of eating. Atkins served me well the first few times I followed it, but due to kidney disease I cannot follow Atkins any longer. That makes me sad because many of my favorite recipes are low carb. However, I am learning new recipes and finding new favorites.

I still believe in the low-carb lifestyle for those who can do it. I'd like to hang around here and continue to offer my support to the low-carbers here. I'd like to continue posting about my journey; although it has changed I still feel the need to journal and to seek support from my friends. I don't have a support network anywhere else.

Time for one of my meals... if I can figure out which one!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #1538
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Day 3 of my new program and I am trying to eat as much as I'm supposed to. Sad thing is that I have just been busy with stuff and don't go into the kitchen to make all my meals as often as I'm supposed to. So far today I had my breakfast and lunch. I missed my morning snack and my afternoon snack and I should be having dinner right now.

Yesterday we had a huge thunderstorm and dh was out in the sailboat. I called him and asked him to come right back in, but he said they would tuck into a cove until the storm passed. Well, I was pretty freaked out and went straight for the pantry to grab something to munch on. I caught myself doing that and realized that it was not hunger at all-- it was the stress of the situation. So I stepped back out of the pantry, closed the door and walked away.

Around bedtime I knew I had not had near enough to eat, but didn't want any more liquids because that kept me up the night before. With my tummy growling, I figured I could have some nuts or something. Then I decided to just stay away from the kitchen and I didn't cave after all. So right now I am not eating junk I am not supposed to eat, but I also am not eating all that I should be eating.

The scales showed that I have lost another 2.5 pounds, so that is 5 pounds since Wednesday. I know I need to eat more or my body is going to think that I am trying to starve it and then the weight loss will stop.

Tomorrow is a parade and community fair, which means there will be a lot of temptations. I plan to pack my snack and my lunch so there won't be any excuses.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #1539
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Two more pounds gone this morning, so 7 pounds since Wednesday! I cannot believe how much better I feel in such a short amount of time.

I didn't get all my meals in today, but I think I got breakfast, a snack. lunch and dinner. I had about a half cup of soup leftover from dinner and just couldn't finish it. I was still hungry and the soup actually tasted good, but I just couldn't do it. I wanted something crunchy, and I don't mean celery.

I got to have a salad for lunch today... first solid food on the program since I started. It was a weird combination that scared me... spinach (I do not like raw spinach), lettuce, avocado, 2 TBL fresh raw corn from the cob, diced tomatoes and.... sauerkraut! The sauerkraut was raw, very expensive and from a health food store. I thought it was going to gag me, but I was very pleasantly surprised! This was my favorite meal so far. You are supposed to mush the avocado around so that it coats the spinach and lettuce and then you don't need a dressing. It worked!

I brushed my teeth shortly after dinner to remind myself that I am done eating for the day. I'm supposed to have one more snack but it is just too late to eat anything else tonight.

Dh wants us to start walking again. How nice that I didn't have to ask him!
Old 09-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #1540
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WHAT? It's been 3 days since I last posted? Time sure does get away from me. I forgot to post on another weight-loss journaling place as well...

It's been more difficult staying on program than I expected, but not because I am hungry. Well, I DO get hungry, but only because I am not eating enough. I'll start drinking a shake and either get full or just tired of drinking it. So I stick it in the fridge, thinking I will drink it later, but I don't. Because "later" I am supposed to be making a new shake or a new soup or a new salad and I don't do that, either, because I'm tired of spending so much time in the kitchen.

Today was a bit better. I had my morning shake, which was actually Ani's Chocolate Banana Mylk. She spells it like that because there is actually no milk in anything. It was a frozen banana, 2 TBL of cacao powder, 1 cup of filtered water and 2 TBL ground flax meal. It says to add a pinch of sweetener, but I decided to try it first to see if it needed any, and it didn't. It really did taste a lot like regular chocolate milk, and it was very enjoyable.

I skipped my morning snack... just not hungry. Lunch was a big salad made with Asian cabbage, carrots, cucumber, mint, cilantro and basil with a ginger dressing. It also called for a tablespoon of nutritional yeast, which I tried once in another recipe and couldn't stand. So, I didn't think I would like the salad much, but it was amazingly good! I guess that will teach me to keep an open mind when it comes to trying new recipes.

Total lost since last Wednesday: 8 pounds.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #1541
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, well, well. Guess who fell off the wagon AGAIN??? I KNOW I need to be eating healthier and I WANT to eat healthier but I get to a point where I am hungry and don't have food ready to eat so I eat what I shouldn't be eating. Will I ever learn?

We are planning a 4 day getaway in a couple of weeks, and I am planning foods to take ahead of time. There are no free breakfasts at any of the hotels where we will be staying and that makes dh sad, but it is to my advantage. I plan to make up 2 days worth of juices and for theother two days I will have ingredients for smoothies and will take along my Magic Bullet. I may take along some healthy dressing in case I come across any salads that look decent... you know- not bagged lettuce!

Gonna cut this short and get back to planning.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #1542
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, this is a post that might not stay here long. I may regret spilling my feelings all over this page by the time I've posted it.

I'm posting here instead of on our little group page because it is personal stuff, personal feelings and I'm really depressed right now. This is more for me than for anyone else, so I decided not to take up group space for it. The reason I am posting at all is because I don't have anyone else to talk to about this stuff. Part of it would be gossip if I said it to anyone who knows the people I'm talking about. The part about my own struggles is something that I don't want to burden my friends with, and dh gets depressed when I try to talk to him.

This has been a very difficult week. First of all, a friend passed away about a month and a half ago, and dh and I helped with his estate sale. All of his belongings had to go, and his wife was getting rid of almost everything she owns because she has had to move in with her sister. This was emotionally challenging for me, but physically hard as well because I couldn't keep my regular schedule. My eating plan was messed up, water consumption was just about nil because I didn't have access to a bathroom, I didn't take all the meds I needed to AND I didn't get to exercise. But we did this because we love the little gal who lost her husband and she needed help.

Now a whiney part - one lady agreed to coordinate all of this, and we thought she was very generous to do so. Then we learned that after the sale, she bullied the widow into giving her 20% of the profits. We were livid! That is the second time we have been scammed by this person. The widow is a sweet little gal who has a severe learning disability, has lost her husband, her home and most everything she owned. How could someone take advantage of her like that? And she took advantage of dh and I, as well as everyone else that she conned into helping. If we'd known she was taking any of the profits, we wouldn't have been doing all the work for her. She just stood around and bossed everyone around, saying sweet things to them about how much she appreciated their help. Yes, we pay someone 20% when she helps with our garage sale, but she does most of the work. She doesn't con other people into doing the work so she can get the money. Now that I've said all this, I pray I can forgive her and let it go.

Another personal part - I posted on Easter about my belief in Jesus as Savior. I didn't ask anyone to agree - I just stated where I stand. We used to be able to do this in our country, but apparently it isn't politically correct anymore. Two of my newer friends apparently don't want anything to do with me now. I knew before I posted that they didn't agree with me, but this wasn't aimed at them or at anyone else.

I remember before I was a Christian that one good friend seemed to have something that I didn't have, and I couldn't figure out what it was that gave her peace and joy. Yes, she went to church, but so did I - so what could it be? Well, after I became a Christian, I understood exactly what she had, because I had it as well. And I have always wondered why she didn't just come right out and share that with me. I'm guessing she didn't want to offend me, or didn't want any confrontation. Well, we have train tracks across the ferry landing as we are boarding the ferry. Almost every time we are getting ready to board, a train comes zooming across those tracks. What would we do if we saw someone standing on those tracks, or if their car was on the tracks when the train was coming? Would we say to ourselves, "Well, certainly they must know the train is coming and I don't want to offend them by pointing that out!" ? No, I think we would warn them, because we wouldn't want them to lose their life being struck down by a train. So why do people get so angry if we try to share Christ?

Now the really personal part... and maybe I won't let this stay here. We'll see. Before anyone reads this, you must know I am not looking for sympathy. I just need a place to dump my grief because right now I don't know where else to dump it.

A few days ago I learned that a friend has kidney failure. She's had problems for a couple of months now, but the docs didn't know what was wrong. (I have no idea how they missed it. They found my kidney disease when they weren't even looking for it!) Well, she was in the hospital again this past week-end, and on Tuesday they told her that she needed to go on dialysis. She said she didn't want to do that, so they told her she is going to die and they sent her home. They give her three weeks at the most. Three weeks??? To me that feels like sending someone to Death Row to wait out a sentence.

Not only am I grieving that I will be losing another friend soon (but we are praying for a miracle) but I am grieving my own situation. How long before I hear the same thing from my own doctor? And it's not just my kidneys... I have heart problems as well. And while I've been working as hard as I can to take care of my heart and kidneys, I just get more bad news every time I have another appointment. Today's appointment not only brought me bad news about my own situation, but I learned that my cardiologist is moving to Virginia so I am losing her - and then realized I am losing her nurse as well, a young woman that I have truly bonded with. So now I need a new cardiologist, a new nephrologist, a new primary doc and a pulmonologist as well. I'm really bummed.

So where is my faith in God? It's there. I just don't know how to handle everything that feels like it is being dumped on me all at once. Dh and I want to travel, but my cardiologist wants me staying home on a strict schedule. I feel like I'm holding dh back from living the life that he wants. I know he doesn't want to talk about my illness because it makes him depressed. He stays busy out in the yard, or the garage or the greenhouse, or doing volunteer work. I'm tired of explaining to friends why I can't go anywhere or do anything. What kind of life is this anyway?

I guess I'll head to bed and read some more of Joni Eareckson Tada's books. She's certainly been through a lot of the stages of grief that I am experiencing, and reading about her journey of faith is always encouraging to me.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #1543
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BellaRose
Sorry..

Your having such a hard time dealing with
loss's and your own illness.

Was very glad to see you posting but
sorry to see you so sad and depressed.
I'm glad you have your faith to help
you get thru everything. I hope you find
new doctors that you really like again.
Know your doing everything to make your
self healthier. Just keep doing it.
Hoping that soon maybe with doctor blessing
can go on short trips with your husband.

Also sorry about people in your life not
understanding your faith and why you talk
about it.. especially now.
Some people we can't understand..like the
one who took 20%. Maybe it's alright not
to forgive sometimes.

I pray that you are feeling better in your illness
and dealing with everything that comes day in..day out.

Will be thinking of you and your husband. Wishing you
a better day..week..month..YEARS!
BellaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #1544
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling this way.
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend as well as the bad news about your other friend. Losing your doctors is also very difficult, and I personally hope that you can find some that are more encouraging. While you do need to keep a schedule of sorts, you really need to schedule I time to LIVE, imho. Perhaps this is God's way of telling you that it is time for change, big change.

If you had/have friends who aren't accepting, or at least supportive, of who you are and your belief system - are they really friends or are they just acquaintances? Online can be so difficult anyway since we miss all of the facial signs, body gestures, voice and inflections... it is difficult at times to gauge what others are really saying, let alone feeling. I also acknowledge that sometimes mere talk of faith can set people off. Why? Well, there could be a number of reasons. There are people who are very easily offended or have deep-seated issues with their own faiths - or lack thereof - or truly aren't comfortable with their own thoughts, bodies, etc. I'd wager that it's possible that some who are having body image issues also have many other deep-seated issues involving relationships of all sorts, including any religious relationships.
In the end, it doesn't really matter what they think. I do try to limit my discussion of such things to people who are like-minded so as not to appear to be 'pressuring' anyone inadvertently or make anyone uncomfortable. I know you're trying to share the good news of your own religion, but I don't expect everyone to be receptive. I always expect someone to take exception since that just seems to be the new way for some to get their way "legally" via the guise of being "PC", i.e.: they have more than one thing they have involving "control issues."
Don't get caught up in other people's issues, is what I'm saying here.
Trust in your God, and don't let anyone else try to belittle you or that relationship. Forgive them and just move on.
You can do this, raini.
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #1545
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Bella Rose and Ms Kitty for your kind words and encouragement. I appreciate your responses more than you can know.

Today has been better, though the circumstances are no different. I guess I just go through different stages of handling what is going on. A lot more just cropped up last night, with my brother, so we'll see how everything goes there.

Thank you both again! <3
Old 06-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #1546
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ugh... I went ballistic last night! I can't remember the last time I was so out of control! After a healthy dinner (big salad with chicken, and zucchini soup) I still felt empty. Not hungry... "empty." Like something was missing. Dessert. I asked dh what we had available, and he said "ice cream bars." Okay, I knew better, but I had an ice cream bar, thinking we need to get rid of them anyway, right? But that didn't do it. So I had 1/2 of a Kind bar. And then the other half. And later some Doritos. (We NEVER have Doritos in the house, and I don't really like them anyway! But dh bought some this week, and here they are.) Finally, I swiped a piece of dh's bread (yes, I am allergic to wheat) and slathered it with butter and topped it with ground beef. What is WRONG with me???

Hmmm.... well in just this past week, I have been stressed about my nephew's wife going into early labor (and just delivered a 4 pound baby), my brother's cancer, my niece's cancer and upcoming bilateral mastectomy, my friend's cancer and how terribly ill she has been, our son and his wife being away on a mission trip and their one-year old left with a sitter at home, the son of one of my closest friends going manic and completely flipping out, and the daughter of the same friend on a mission trip in Turkey being targeted and harassed and terrified for political reasons. Oh - and another friend collapsed in church yesterday with heart problems and had to be taken out by the paramedics.

Yes, everything has been above stressful. However, that being said, it is important that I learn how to deal with this kind of stuff and not turn to food. Maybe, if I had been able to put my finger on that last night, I could have avoided such a fiasco.

Another problem seems to be watching TV. Dh is the big TV watcher here. I prefer to work up in my office. Sitting in front of the TV seems to bring on the munchies. Guess I need to remember that, and plan accordingly.

"His mercies are new every morning." Thankful for that!