Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: monet0329
Stats: to much!
WOE: lower carb :D
Start Date: Feb 28 2013.. (lc) down 61.5 pounds :)
sounds like you had a good weekend.. minus the traffic.. ..

and that lil piece of cake shouldn't hurt .. .. your back on track thats what matters.
monet0329 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
Oh, but that tiny piece of cake DID hurt! My scalp broke out terribly and will probably take 4-5 days to heal up. That was the fastest reaction I've ever had, and to the smallest bit of offending food (wheat) that I've ever had a reaction to. And the next morning my left knee felt like someone had taken a hammer to it. My ankles did swell a little, as well, but that could have been the heat, the wheat or both.

Our dgs is here for a couple of weeks, and he came in this evening when I was playing Scrabble. (He's 11.) The word coming down, vertically, almost to the triple word score on the bottom line was "SNIT." I made the word "LIVERS" across the bottom for a pretty big total... can't remember exactly what it was. I looked at dgs and said, "Livers and Snits. Livers and Snits. I'm gonna get me some Livers and Snits." I think he's still laughing! LOL

Looks like we may be buying a sailboat tomorrow. We looked at it yesterday and decided to pray about it and sleep on it... (thoughts and prayers... not sleep on the boat! LOL) So we got up this a.m. and decided to buy it, but the fellow was busy and wasn't going to be able to tow it to the island for us today. Maybe tomorrow. It's almost an hour away (plus ferry time) and we weren't sure it would tow well behind our Jeep. (Dh says it will, but I'm a big chicken. I was in a terrible accident when I was a kid. The trailer my mom was towing started swaying, and then threw our car from side to side while we were driving in the Columbia Gorge. Anyway, DH is honoring my request not to tow it.) We're keeping the big cabin cruiser, at least for now. But the sailboat will be much more affordable, since we won't be filling it up with gas. And I enjoy the quiet while we sail... and no gassy engine smell. No pollution. Green, green, green!

Today I worked on picking names for both boats. (We never got around to naming the other one, and we've had it for 5 years!) So far I like "Knot at Home," "Knot So Fast," "Knot Too Shabby," and "Selah Way." Oh yeah... "Kat-astrophe." Cute, since at least one or two of our cats will probably go with us sometimes.

DH wanted me to pack "sandwiches" for our first sailing tomorrow. I glared at him. Yeah, I want to watch a bunch of people eat sandwiches while I eat a piece of cheese. There's really not time to pack a big lunch, and I don't think the fellow coming over to the island wants to stay all afternoon anyway. We'll see how it goes!

DH and DGS caught a nice big batch of crab today. We could eat THAT tomorrow, but we're saving it to send home with DS when he comes to pick up DGS on Saturday. Guess I need to send DH out for more crab.

We went for a hike Wednesday but it didn't last long... just until I ran into nettles and needed to come home to take care of them. Hoping we can get back into the longer walks when DGS heads back home.

Wishing a great week-end for anyone who stops by to read this....
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #123

Oh how fun.. a sailboat.. .. we had one when I was a lil girl .. it slept 6.. I always got to bring a friend .. we loved it.... and my aunt had the speed boat.. for skiing,,.. those where the dayssss... when I was young and thin..

have fun fun fun.. till your daddy takes your sailboat awayyy.. ( remember the song? but T-Bird instead of sailboat lol)
Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We bought it! We sailed it! We love it!!!

We've been praying about it, and I'd started feeling guilty about wanting more "stuff." But then I felt more like I'd been accusing God of not wanting me to have something nice that I'd wanted, and God isn't like that. We kept praying about it, and went to see the boat twice. After looking at other sailboats, we saw what a good value this one was and what terrific shape it is in. (It's like a 1975 or '76, but everything looks new.)

We were also very impressed with the seller. He was very friendly and seemed open and honest about everything. I kept wondering if he is a Christian, and turned out he is. When we bought the boat yesterday, he not only towed it back to the island for us-- he towed it down to the marina, put it in the water, and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening teaching us how to sail it! Then he left on the 10 pm ferry (which was late and didn't arrive until almost 10:30!) to make the drive home. (He lives over an hour away.) Oh, yeah... and then he thanked US for the pleasure of doing so!

I chilled a bottle of sparkling cider and took it down to the boat. Once under sail, we toasted to "A new boat and new friends." We'd met his wife and she's as nice as he is. We all plan to stay in touch... we've invited them to visit us on the island, and they said they want to. They also travel in their RV, and they love cruises, too. We have so much in common! Another gift from God!

We ate "on the run" yesterday, and I was so hungry that I ate the buns on my burgers. (Yes, two! junior burgers!) I'm paying for it today.... swollen knees and painful gut. I truly am thankful for my wheat allergy. I don't think I could control my cravings if not for that. Who am I fooling? I can't control it anyway! So I truly am thankful that God is working in this area of my life.

Dgs is probably leaving today. We love him to pieces, but I think I'll be better able to get back on track when he's not here.

Monet... do you want me to text you a picture of the boat? I have one on my phone.

Have a great day!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raini View Post
We bought it! We sailed it! We love it!!!

We've been praying about it, and I'd started feeling guilty about wanting more "stuff." But then I felt more like I'd been accusing God of not wanting me to have something nice that I'd wanted, and God isn't like that. We kept praying about it, and went to see the boat twice. After looking at other sailboats, we saw what a good value this one was and what terrific shape it is in. (It's like a 1975 or '76, but everything looks new.)

We were also very impressed with the seller. He was very friendly and seemed open and honest about everything. I kept wondering if he is a Christian, and turned out he is. When we bought the boat yesterday, he not only towed it back to the island for us-- he towed it down to the marina, put it in the water, and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening teaching us how to sail it! Then he left on the 10 pm ferry (which was late and didn't arrive until almost 10:30!) to make the drive home. (He lives over an hour away.) Oh, yeah... and then he thanked US for the pleasure of doing so!

I chilled a bottle of sparkling cider and took it down to the boat. Once under sail, we toasted to "A new boat and new friends." We'd met his wife and she's as nice as he is. We all plan to stay in touch... we've invited them to visit us on the island, and they said they want to. They also travel in their RV, and they love cruises, too. We have so much in common! Another gift from God!

We ate "on the run" yesterday, and I was so hungry that I ate the buns on my burgers. (Yes, two! junior burgers!) I'm paying for it today.... swollen knees and painful gut. I truly am thankful for my wheat allergy. I don't think I could control my cravings if not for that. Who am I fooling? I can't control it anyway! So I truly am thankful that God is working in this area of my life.

Dgs is probably leaving today. We love him to pieces, but I think I'll be better able to get back on track when he's not here.

Monet... do you want me to text you a picture of the boat? I have one on my phone.

Have a great day!
YES and you already did .. lovely boat and I bet it was so0o0o much fun.. thank you for thinking of sharing your joy with me ..

the hubs is ready for beddy bye.. so good night...
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #126
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Livywilltim-mom
Stats: 208/Jan 14/183/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 9, 2014
Oh Raini,

Just checking in on ya...but you are probably out sailing

Hugs
Livywilltim-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jaimee... you caught me! I was just thinking how I've neglected my time here because of all we have going on at home. Sad thing is, there's very little exercise involved with sailing! And dh has not had any time at all available to walk with me, and I don't like walking alone. So the only exercise I've gotten lately is on my rebounder; and with all the company we've had here lately, there's been precious little time on that.

I woke up this a.m. ready to get serious... AGAIN. I weighed this morning, and was back down 1.5 pounds after gaining a half pound three times in a row. So that felt good. I'm going to join an informal group of gals on the island that are doing WW, although I'll still be doing low carb. At least I can track my food and exercise, and I can be motivated to stick with things.

I've spent way too much time on the computer looking for sailboats and cruises, in that order. We bought the sailboat, and then started looking at cruises. We were considering two different cruises to the Mexican Riviera and one to Hawaii. We decided the Hawaiian cruise would have to wait awhile... it was going to be about $7000 when we counted taxes, insurance, airfare, and kitty sitting. Then we had to decide between the 9 day to the Mexican Riviera and the 7 day one. The prices were really close, but the deciding factors were the difference in airfare, difference in kitty sitting costs, the fact that we really want to try out Holland America, and a few other minor things. We chose the 7 day cruise, and we're going with our friends that we like to RV with. (Sorry about ending with a preposition!) Ahem... ..."with whom we like to RV."

I know I'm supposed to stay on track in order to get healthy, but it sure doesn't hurt to have a cruise to look forward to in the future.

I have so much more on my mind, but dh is asking for my help on some stuff this morning. Hope I can get back here soon.

Best wishes for a blessed Monday and the rest of the week to all...

Raini
Old 08-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So today has gone really well... I needed to go for a walk today, but really didn't feel too motivated to do so. But I asked dh if he'd walk with me, and he replied that he would if we went right then. So I got ready in a hurry and we walked! My knees were hurting before I even started, as I ate wheat last night (will I EVER learn???) so I was concerned I'd have problems walking. I did really well, and we walked "up hill all the way." LOL Actually, we did a really big hill first, then down for awhile, then up... up.... up.... flat... up... up.... flat and then back down the really big hill. It's a big circle and takes about 45 minutes.

Today's foods-

B- hot flax cereal w/ Tbl cashews, butter, cream and SF syrup
L- pickled (LC) green beans w/ 1/4 cup cottage cheese
S- 2 Hebrew Nat'l Hot Dogs w/ LC cheesy sauce, 2 LC cookies
D- Not sure yet... maybe more hot dogs since dh isn't eating today
S- coffee or tea w/cream

Tomorrow dh is having a colonoscopy, so we'll be leaving home early. Maybe I can go for a walk while he's having the procedure. Hoping to be able to stay on plan with a rather difficult schedule!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #129

hey sweets.. .. good to see you in here ..

the cruise sounds great.. and yes something to stive for..

Keep it up lady bug
Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I went to my first unofficial WW meeting tonight. Within the first 5 minutes, I was ready to run out the door!

First of all, I'd already arranged NOT to weigh in, but at least three people kept telling me to go ahead and get on the scales. One lady, someone I already knew, kept talking to me like I was a little kid. "Oh, come on. You can do it. I weighed in on my first day. Come on!" I came really close to yelling at her, and I NEVER do that! She finally got the message and left me alone.

Then the gal teaching started talking about how important it is to exercise. She kept looking at me, probably because I'm the only one there who really needs to lose weight. Anyway, she'd look at me and say things like, "Even if you can just walk a few feet... do it! And then walk a few more feet the next day." I guess it must be real easy to assume that just because someone is fat that they don't exercise. Except I DO exercise, and walk more than most of those ladies that were at the meeting.

Finally, I'm pretty sure they weren't happy that I'm doing LC. They kept telling me how easy WW is. Okay, I've joined WW probably a dozen times in my life. I know what their program is, and I know that I can't stick with it anymore. I can't have the fruits or any of the carbs and still lose weight. And listening to everyone talk about juggling their points so they can have cake and ice cream and s'mores is just frustrating to me. (And yet I probably sounded just like that when I was doing WW or any of the other programs I was ever on.)

They are all really nice ladies; and maybe when I get settled in and they give up on converting me to WW, or realize that I actually DO exercise, I'll enjoy it more. I joined so I can stay motivated, and I want to give it a fair chance.

Yesterday we sailed over to Steilacoom and went to the Farmer's Market there. We invited a couple from church that we've never really spent any time with, and we had a great time getting to know them a little better. We had to walk up a killer hill... so long and steep that it made all our hills seem effortless in comparison. Later dh asked me the best part and worst part of our day. He thought I'd name the big hill as the worst part, but I told him I liked it. (I DO because it challenges me and makes me stronger.) The worst part, I told him, was worrying about whether we'd get run over by the ferry either coming or going. It moves fast and we do not! The best part was when the wind kicked up and we moved along without the kicker motor. So quiet and tranquil... just amazing.

Yesterday's foods were:

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs with parmesan cheese
Lunch: half an Atkins bar, sharp Cheddar slices and cheesey crackers
Dinner: kielbasa, cabbage, crookneck squash and onions in a stir-fry

Today's foods were:
B- fried egg
L- cheese, 2 LC cookies, cheesey crackers (LC)
D- sausage, hamburger patty, 1/2 angel'd egg, 2 grape tomatoes
S- 1/2 steak

Tomorrow we are sailing again, so I'm packing a lunch tonight. We'll have chicken salad over lettuce for lunch, and eat the steaks that we were supposed to have tonight (before we got a last-minute invitation to a barbecue) for dinner when we get home. Breakfast may be flax cereal... not sure.

I'm hoping we get to go for a walk when we get to our sailing destination. We're going to try to find a boating campground that we've heard about, and I don't know what we'll find there besides the docks.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #131

Ohh your boat sounds amazinggg.... such fun.. I remember those days.. I wonder if I would like it even more as an adult?? lol.. or would I worry to much to enjoy it?..lol..

menus sounds great!!

I hope they chill out on you at WW.. it could be some great motivation for you sweetie..
Old 08-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oooh... not such a great day. We were up early to get everything packed for a day trip in the sailboat. Just as we were boarding, a fellow came up and asked us if we were really going to sail today... and hadn't we heard the small craft warnings for our area? I'm embarrassed to admit we never thought about it, because the weather is warm and the skies look great. But the waves were rocking the boat quite a bit, and I was getting dizzy enough to have to drive back up to the house to find my Sea-Bands. Once home, I checked the marine forecast, and there were the warnings. Dh was not happy with me at all... didn't see any reason we couldn't still go out. I got loud and said I wasn't going, and if he went we were getting rid of the boat. Maybe overkill, but you'd have to know dh and the risks we've taken with other things in the past, with near disastrous results.

So... we didn't go. When we got home, I tried to find the same info I'd found earlier, and all I found was "no current warnings for this area." Great... I'll probably have to admit it to dh, and I already know he won't be happy with me. But I'd rather be safe than sorry. I guess we're going to Cabella's to look for a few supplies we've been needing for the boat. Hope we can get back on the island, with all the week-end visitors lining up at the ferry dock!

Eating has been on plan today... flax cereal for breakfast, and a delicious chicken salad I'd packed to take in the boat, along with iced tea. Dinner tonight and tomorrow night will be steak. We have a concert under the stars tomorrow evening, and I'll pack another picnic dinner.

S'pose I ought to get ready to go. If we miss the ferry this afternoon, I'll have two strikes against me!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #133

sorry you two couldnt go out today.. but I would have done / said the same thing.. men think they are 10 feet tall and bullet proof..lol.. but we know better..

have fun under the stars
Old 08-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Friday turned out to be a great day after all. I asked dh what he would like to do, and reminded him that there were stil some things we needed for the boats. He decided we'd go to the mainland, and then go to Cabella's and a few other marine stores. And on the way, he also suggested we go to the rubber stamping store and I could use up all of the credit I had stored up there.... almost $60.

The freeway was horribly sluggish, so we took an early exit and decided to check out a State Park that we'd never been to. It's at the base of the Puget Sound, and we'll be able to tie up at a buoy there when we go boat camping. It was fun to see it from the "land side." Then we hit a garage sale before we went to the stamp store.

It was so much fun to have a day that was so totally unplanned. Usually, when we go to the mainland, we have lists of all the things we need to do, and just run from one errand to the next. Yesterday was so spontaneous. And guess what? Dh admitted that God most likely didn't want us out in the boat for a reason, and agreed that there would be many more days fit for sailing. That was both a blessing and a relief.

Today's foods -
B- flax pancake w/ SF syrup
bacon
egg
L- cheese sandwich made w/ flax pancake for the bread
SF peach iced tea
D- sliced steak with green salad
Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #135

VERY good to read tonight .. I love when a day turns out better then you hoped .. oh and when a man can admit you were right..

GOD does know best doesn't he
Old 08-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Had a blistering hot day out in the boat yesterday. Dh wants very much to sail, but either we have too much wind or not enough. So up went the sails, then down went the sails. Start the motor. Stop the motor. Up go the sails...

Two sailor friends of ours have already mentioned "the doldrums." Never thought that was a nautical term! LOL But sitting out in the water, going nowhere at all, just isn't as relaxing as it might sound. Dh said we could go over to Longbranch and check out a marina there. But we'd been in the water for over an hour and were getting nowhere. Now, I might be interested in just sitting if A.) It wasn't so miserably hot and B.) If we didn't have a destination in mind. But I'd packed a lovely lunch and wanted to eat it before midnight!

I finally convinced dh to use the motor more, and we did end up at Longbranch. Not much there but hot docks, a table and some plastic chairs. But we met some nice folks who were also boating, and we did get to see some lovely scenery. We ate lunch on the dock because that's where the shade was... none for the boat at all.

Lunch was a delicious chicken salad over lettuce and cucumbers, and cheese crackers for me (Cheese Nips for dh) along with peach iced tea.

Today is pretty much a stay-at-home day. I have lots of things to do around the house, since we don't stay home much since we got the sailboat. An elderly friend from church just brought over some frozen salmon, so that will probably be dinner tonight. (We take crab to them throughout the summer. So nice to get some salmon!)

Probably no walking today because of the heat, but I'm using my rebounder quite a bit. Trying to do at least 5 sessions of 200-250 bounces a day.

Arrgghhh... dh just got home, and I was hoping for a little more peace and quiet...
Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #137

Quote:
Had a blistering hot day out in the boat yesterday. Dh wants very much to sail, but either we have too much wind or not enough. So up went the sails, then down went the sails. Start the motor. Stop the motor. Up go the sails...

Two sailor friends of ours have already mentioned "the doldrums." Never thought that was a nautical term! LOL But sitting out in the water, going nowhere at all, just isn't as relaxing as it might sound. Dh said we could go over to Longbranch and check out a marina there. But we'd been in the water for over an hour and were getting nowhere. Now, I might be interested in just sitting if A.) It wasn't so miserably hot and B.) If we didn't have a destination in mind. But I'd packed a lovely lunch and wanted to eat it before midnight!

I finally convinced dh to use the motor more, and we did end up at Longbranch. Not much there but hot docks, a table and some plastic chairs. But we met some nice folks who were also boating, and we did get to see some lovely scenery. We ate lunch on the dock because that's where the shade was... none for the boat at all.

Lunch was a delicious chicken salad over lettuce and cucumbers, and cheese crackers for me (Cheese Nips for dh) along with peach iced tea.

Today is pretty much a stay-at-home day. I have lots of things to do around the house, since we don't stay home much since we got the sailboat. An elderly friend from church just brought over some frozen salmon, so that will probably be dinner tonight. (We take crab to them throughout the summer. So nice to get some salmon!)

Probably no walking today because of the heat, but I'm using my rebounder quite a bit. Trying to do at least 5 sessions of 200-250 bounces a day.

Arrgghhh... dh just got home, and I was hoping for a little more peace and quiet...
sounds fun.. minus the heat.. ours finally cooled down and was in the high 50's this am a little chilly at the bus stop..lol.. but I'll take it.. its gonna get in the 80's later today.. just as long as the humidity stays far away.. ..

happy bouncing ..

P.S.. I am happy that you got some Salmon. I'm jealous.,lol.. its so expensive here.. I have to go to a chinese Buffet to get some..lol
Old 08-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The salmon was fabulous! Dh put it on the barbecue and did it to perfection. There's just enough for me to have the last of it for lunch.

Today is going to be spent applying for a refi on our mortgage. Looks like we'll save 1.5% on our interest rate, if things didn't change from yesterday. Then we'll be able to pay more on the interest and pay it down faster! Yay! Also be able to replace some money we had to borrow from MIL when our Jeep died, even though we don't have to until dh starts getting SS when he turns 62. It'll be nice to take care of it early.

Gotta run.... dh is ready to go.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #139

Quote:
The salmon was fabulous! Dh put it on the barbecue and did it to perfection. There's just enough for me to have the last of it for lunch.

Today is going to be spent applying for a refi on our mortgage. Looks like we'll save 1.5% on our interest rate, if things didn't change from yesterday. Then we'll be able to pay more on the interest and pay it down faster! Yay! Also be able to replace some money we had to borrow from MIL when our Jeep died, even though we don't have to until dh starts getting SS when he turns 62. It'll be nice to take care of it early.

Gotta run.... dh is ready to go.
I've never had salmon on the bbq.. hmmm... have a great day!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #140

saving you from page 2.. .. hope your sailing and having a great time !!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm here... had a real busy week with little time for posting.

Kind of bummed this evening... showed up to volunteer for an event (that we didn't really want to volunteer for, and had no intention of going to other than to volunteer!) and were told at the gate that we had to pay $30 to get in to volunteer! We seem to get roped into volunteering for quite a few things, but it was the first time we were expected to pay to volunteer. So, we talked to someone who said we wouldn't have to pay (after we assured her we were not staying for the actual event itself... just collecting tickets) and we did stay to volunteer. But all the other volunteers had to pay and I felt like some cheap jerk when we left. Also wondering how the gossip mill will be handling this.... <sigh> When you live in a small community everyone knows your business. SIL already thinks we're cheapskates. Now she won't be alone in this opinion!

We've also volunteered for the annual salmon bake for several years in a row. We work our bums off and then go home without a salmon dinner because it's always the 4th of July when we have a houseful of company and can't afford $16 or $17 a ticket for 8 or 10 people... a numberof those are vegetarians and would only eat the veggies on the plate anyway. And we spent close to $100 to prepare a meal for the volunteers for lunch a couple of months ago. So darned if they don't keep expecting more and then making us feel bad when we won't pay to volunteer! I guess that, compared to all the others that put as much or more time into it than we do, we ARE cheapskates!

I realize I'm rambling here... guess that's why I called it Raini's Ramblings. Anyway, I'm reminded of all the other events in the past that we've volunteered for when we lived in Oregon. Not that we did it for the "free" stuff, but there always was stuff given to the volunteers. It might be t-shirts with "Staff" printed on it, or it might be a free meal, or the chance to spend time with a celebrity (or celebrities), sometimes free product. Since living here, we've volunteered time and time again without getting as much as a free bottle of water, and we've never complained. I guess I just draw the line at paying $30 to volunteer! (BTW, dh just popped in here and said that he's not bothered at all about what transpired this evening. He could care less what the others think about him.

I noticed that the stress of the past few days has really gotten to me. I've been eating like I used to when I was stressed out. This has to stop!!! Time to step back and evaluate what's been going on.

Oh... more stress- we have the opportunity to purchase another lot for $9000, including all the title fees, taxes, etc. It's a piece of property that a friend paid $37,000 for a couple of years ago. We'd like to buy it and then see if the owner of the property next door would consider trading with us, since we've always wanted that piece of land. Our financial advisor says "Go for it, you have nothing to lose," but dh doesn't want to get stuck with more property if the trade doesn't happen. (We'd have to pay Association Fees and taxes on it yearly, regardless of whether it was next door or not.) It's stressful for me because I think we should buy it, but don't want dh saying "I told you so" if things don't work out well on it. We're praying about it and trying to hear what God wants us to do, but we're just not hearing. So more stress...

A nice thing happened today... a friend that just had WLS offered to give me her huge container of grapefruit juice flavored protein powder. She said her taste buds have changed and she doesn't like it anymore. It was pretty spendy, so if I like it, I'd like to pay her for it if she'll let me. Saves me a long trip off-island, because I'd wanted to buy something similar anyway.

Hello to all my friends here. Hope you're having nothing but lovely days.... !
Old 08-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #142

well.. I agree with your hubs.. this time..lol.. when your volunteering for something.. you shouldn't have to pay.. I would think anyway.. and why worry about what others think.. and if you weren't "cheapskates).. then you wouldn't have extra month for the sale boat.. or the property and so forth.. so I say.. be cheap.. live the way YOU all want to and don't worry about others.. keep volunteering.. to me, thats great.. so you don't wanna have to pay for something your GIVING your time for.. right.. right.... and even if you were staying for the event.. you helped out.. so you should get in for free.. or at least half price.. depending what it was.. for charity.. at least half price maybe.. but geeesh..lol..

★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ★
Old 08-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, the whole silly thing ate at me right up to bedtime, and I prayed about it and then actually was able to sleep without stressing over it all night. I got up this morning and felt kind of bad about the couple we rather "blew off" as we ignored their protests and said we were going to talk to someone else about it. This particular couple are nice people, and it wasn't their fault that they were told to collect from everyone who walked through "the gate." They'd been told to be quite diligent about collecting the money, as I guess quite a few people snuck in other ways last year and didn't pay at all.

So I called the wife this morning and said, "I wanted to apologize for last night, and explain what was going on. We were asked to volunteer for this event, and we'd had no plans to attend other than that. We didn't even want to come, but we did because they needed volunteers. We planned to work our shift and then leave, which is what we did. We had no idea that the volunteers had to pay, and (dh) didn't even have money with him." She was very gracious and said that she had told her dh, "There must be something going on more than what we're seeing." She didn't understand why we'd been upset, but it had made them uncomfortable and she was very glad I called to explain.

Turns out that all of the volunteers are expected to pay; but then that should have been made clear when we were asked to volunteer. I guess that some of them that had come really early were able to get by without paying, because there were no tables set up for ticket sales. In any case, we know now, and if we're asked to volunteer next year we'll have to base our decision on whether or not we want to pay for the event. IMHO, I don't think it is fair to ask volunteers to pay. Feels like a sneaky way to get people to come that hadn't planned on it. I'm not going to feel guilty-- we've done plenty for the Historical Society financially, with donations of hours worked, meals cooked, quilts sewn and items donated to the museum. Yes, many others have done that much and more, but I'm not going to worry about who does what. I'm not competing!

It was important to me to clear this up, though. How can I be a witness for Christ if they see me as rude or cheap or inconsiderate?

And then the property... dh wants to wait to see if the owners of the property next door want to sell. Even though our financial advisor says it's a great move, dh doesn't want to be saddled with extra Association fees and taxes. And we still owe some money to MIL's account (not that she knows but WE do... had permission from SIL to borrow it for a year.) While we could afford to buy the property AND repay the other loan, it might make things a little tight. I'm going to be the submissive wife and let dh make this decision. I'm at peace with it (at least at the moment!) and will continue to pray that if God wants us to do otherwise, that He will make it clear to dh.

~.~.~.~.~.~

Other news... my two friends that have had WLS recently are both looking slimmer. I'm happy for them, but feeling discouraged about me, my lack of willpower and lack of motivation to exercise lately. I'd love to blame dh, because he can't seem to find time to walk with me anymore. But I should be able to walk on my own... I just really don't feel comfortable walking alone. I feel vulnerable, I guess. Last year it was because of the bears. In bad weather I'm afraid of the trees falling (and fall they do!) Now I worry about the ever-increasing coyote population, and the fact that they are getting braver and more aggressive. The group of ladies that walk around here mostly walk pretty fast, and I don't or I'd walk with them. Excuses, excuses, excuses...

Well, here's praying I have a better week...
Old 08-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #144

I think calling and explaning was a good idea.. ..
Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #145
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Livywilltim-mom
Stats: 208/Jan 14/183/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 9, 2014
Aww, Raini, that volunteer situation really stinks! I am glad that God led you to reach out and explain...now the air is clear.

Hugs
Livywilltim-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:59 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I couldn't sleep tonight, so I gave up and decided to get up for awhile and "ramble." I have a lot to do today, so I'm hoping I can get back to sleep in a bit.

Property situation- looks like we're not buying it. Dh didn't feel that that's what God wanted for us right now. He thought we should write to the owner of the property that we do want (next door) and see if she wanted to sell it. She should have received the letter by now, but we haven't heard back yet.

I look out of my kitchen window every day and see that property. It's lush and green, and makes me feel very peaceful inside, if that makes any sense. I know that if God wants us to own it, that He will allow it to all work out. But who knows? Maybe someday we'll have neighbors there that we'd enjoy. I guess I've just gotten spoiled by not having neighbors too close. We had such a bad situation back in Portland... our neighbor on one side was drunk a lot of the time, and his yard was such a disgusting mess that it took us a year and a half to sell our house. The realtors said that no one wanted to live next to it.

I started out really well yesterday. I had my meals planned, took all of my supplements, drank a lot of water, and exercised by walking up the street and pulling tansy from the side of the road. It was more work (and exercise) than I expected, and I felt good about that.

Then dh wanted to go for a sail. I packed a nice bunch of snacks, and invited his sister to go with us. We sailed around the island and then over to Longbranch. We had our snacks and met a nice fellow with a really big sailboat. Turned out he's a retired school teacher originally from the area where our son lives. (Always fun to meet new people.)
Anyway, we got back pretty late and I had to take SIL back home. Dh stayed down at the marina, having to take the boat back out to the buoy and rowing the dinghy back to the dock. By the time he got home, I'd already eaten a bunch of stuff I shouldn't have had and it was too late to cook the salmon we'd planned to have.

I'm not sure what to do about the sailing/ missing meals situations. It seems to be happening way too often. I think if I had our meals ready to go before I even leave the house, I'd have no excuse to mess up. Yet dh is the one in charge of cooking fish (I'm not good at cooking it) and that's what we'd planned to have. Back to the drawing board...
Old 08-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Didn't sleep well (as already mentioned above) but went back to bed and got a couple more hours in. Had one short session on the rebounder, and then had LC French Toast made with pork rinds. It was filling and very good.

Spent some time on the PC, then went to the library to pick up about ten books they've had on hold for me. Then went to a friend's to help with some things. I figure I got at least half an hour of exercise there... maybe more.

Came back home for a lunch of two fried eggs topped with cream and parmesan cheese. Got the idea from Atkin's Cheesy Baked Eggs recipe. I get a similar flavor with a lot less work.

Dinner will be sauteed green beans and a little zucchini, along with grilled salmon. We were finally going to eat dinner on time, and then dh got a call from a friend that owes us some money. He's on his way over now, and they usually talk quite a bit. Hope dinner is soon- not that I'm hungry, but I do want to eat on time. Otherwise I end up eating too much.

I'm a little "under the weather." Called a friend to see if she wanted to play Scrabble with me, and she didn't. We haven't played more than a game or two in the last year. Before that we played maybe once a week, or at least several times a month. For awhile there were always excuses about having too much to do. Today's was: not two brain cells to rub together today." In the past, if she wasn't going to play, she sounded like she wished she could. I honestly don't think she wants to play anymore. I don't understand... I don't cheat, ever. I win a lot, but I'm gracious about it and I don't keep checking the score to see who is winning, or anything like that. I don't even care who wins... I just like to play. (I play with another friend who usually wins, and I'm a good sport about losing.) So I just don't understand why my friend won't play Scrabble with me anymore. (Do I sound like I'm 5 years old, or what???)

All in all, today was a good LC day. At least we weren't away from home and I wasn't tempted by things I shouldn't eat.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #148

hey sweetie..

well.. I hope you get the property that you want.... Gods will though

your meals sound good ..

D and I are going to start back on Atkins on the 6th of September.. .. I'm excited about it....

hope you get some sleep tonight..

oh.. I don't care for scrabble..lol.. I'm not a good speller..
Old 08-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PERFECT day yesterday! Did not put one single bite in my mouth that shouldn't have gone it there. Didn't have any nuts, either. (Not that nuts are bad, but I can't seem to stop once I start.) Would have liked more exercise, but did get at least 1/2 hour moving furniture and vacuum cleaning. Worked up a sweat, anyway.

Today we'll be off-island, and having lunch at a yummy buffet. It's a great quality one, and usually has lots of yummy low carb choices. Now that I think of it, I'll grab a LC treat for dessert to take with me! YES!

God is GREAT, all the time!
Old 08-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #150

Quote:
PERFECT day yesterday! Did not put one single bite in my mouth that shouldn't have gone it there. Didn't have any nuts, either. (Not that nuts are bad, but I can't seem to stop once I start.) Would have liked more exercise, but did get at least 1/2 hour moving furniture and vacuum cleaning. Worked up a sweat, anyway.

Today we'll be off-island, and having lunch at a yummy buffet. It's a great quality one, and usually has lots of yummy low carb choices. Now that I think of it, I'll grab a LC treat for dessert to take with me! YES!

God is GREAT, all the time!