Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   Vickie's Continuing the Journey, Journal (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/636965-vickies-continuing-journey-journal.html)

vernswifevickie 09-11-2009 10:14 PM

Vickie's Continuing the Journey, Journal

Ok..I am officially stating a journal here. I can't believe I've never had a journal here before now! I have been a member here for years but apparently have never had a journal until now...so anyway...

I have been sort of messing around with this plan, that plan, no plan, for the last couple of years..ever since the stupid ******* diet...so fast forward to this past Monday. I woke up at almost my heaviest weight ever...knowing that it was time to come back to low carb...so here I am back on the low carb wagon. I started back on induction on Monday.

I am keeping my carbs below 20 for now and seeing where this goes..

so, in the interest of catching up, here's my menus since Monday

Monday:
Breakfast:
3 eggs scrambled in butter and sprinkled with feta cheese
2 cups coffee with
1 Tbs cream in each

Snack:
Pork rinds

Dinner:
2 roasted chicken thighs
1/2 cup grape tomatoes tossed with
2 tbs feta cheese
1 cup steamed cauliflower with margarine (smart balance)

Tuesday:
Breakfast:
One minute muffin with smart balance buttery spread

Lunch (on the run between the doctor and work)
roasted chicken thigh

Dinner:
large serving of Tri Tip roast

Wednesday:
Breakfast:
coffee with HWC
One Minute Muffin with butter spread

Lunch:
2 roasted chicken thighs
Diet Pepsi

Dinner:
2 pork chops
tossed salad with mixed greens, spinach, cucumbers, red and orange peppers, a few grape tomatoes and some balsamic dressing

snack:
One Minute muffin with butter spread
I know having two OMM in one day during induction isn't the best plan but it kept me from eating something off plan so I'm good with it.

Thursday:
Breakfast:
Coffee, HWC, and a OMM with butter spread.

Lunch:
Lettuce wraps-
Diced tri tip roast folded into romain leaves with a slice of sharp cheddar
and a few grape tomatoes

Dinner:
tossed green salad with feta cheese and a small amt of balsamic dressing (1tsp)
roasted chicken from the grocery store.

snack:
2 vodka/diet 7 ups ( I know this isn't really allowed on induction but I had it anyway)

Friday...
today :) :

Breakfast:
2 egg omelet with a few tomatoes, a handful of spinach abd a ouple of tbs feta cheese.

Lunch/snack:
one minute mufin with 1 tbs cream cheese

Dinner:
Mixed greens topped with diced, roast tri tip, cheddar cheese, and a few grape tomaotoes.

That's about it for now.I am excited about this new beginning for me.

Oh yeah...my weigh on Monday was 210.4...

vernswifevickie 09-12-2009 06:45 AM

wow! it's really too bad I'm such a terrible typist!

2big4mysize 09-12-2009 07:33 AM

Looks good but a few things

poke poke
why the Smart6 Balance?

Poke Poke grape tomatoes are a higher sugar tomato so you may have some craving issues eating them watch for it.

Poke Poke flax meal will absorb fluids in your gut and hold them as weight the entire time they are inside you sooooooooooooooo just know you have x pounds of flax fiber/fluid globs inside you should you jump on the scales the day after eating some and see the scale is up. Those of us that eat flax regularly just accept it is there and don't worry about it.

done poking. couldn't find a smilie with a stick for them LOL

Congrats on getting a week done.

Have you plug it to a food counter to see where your fats and proteins are?

oh and what are you doing for your exercise part????

vernswifevickie 09-12-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2big4mysize (Post 12470597)
Looks good but a few things

poke poke
why the Smart6 Balance?

HaHa..because I have a large tub of it in the fridge and it's 0 carbs and I want to use it up. Then I'll switch back to butter.

Poke Poke grape tomatoes are a higher sugar tomato so you may have some craving issues eating them watch for it.

Thanks for the warning, I figured so because they are sweet. I'm only having a few a day and so far no cravings but it's good to be aware

Poke Poke flax meal will absorb fluids in your gut and hold them as weight the entire time they are inside you sooooooooooooooo just know you have x pounds of flax fiber/fluid globs inside you should you jump on the scales the day after eating some and see the scale is up. Those of us that eat flax regularly just accept it is there and don't worry about it.

Yeah, I'm ok with some weight from the flax. It makes a really great breakfast or snack for me so I'm willing to have some fiber/water weight hanging around.

done poking. couldn't find a smilie with a stick for them LOL

Congrats on getting a week done.

Thank you!

Have you plug it to a food counter to see where your fats and proteins are?

I downloaded a really cool counter to my iphone and I was really good about using it the first couple of days and then I slacked off. I'll get back to it. It will be a good tool for me to know how I'm doing as I get back to LC

oh and what are you doing for your exercise part????
Most evenings my sister and I are walking about 2.5-3 miles. We've not been as good about it since it's been so blasted hot and muggy but we're gettingback to it

Thanks so much for your willingness to help! You are a blessing and an encouragement to me

Mariasol 09-12-2009 11:03 AM

:welcome: back! Good to see you :hugs:

LINC 09-12-2009 12:12 PM

:hiya: Vickie! :D

Lou

CarolynF 09-12-2009 07:06 PM

Vickie: Good for you..I say see what happens the first week on your plan and if you aren't losing, you can always tweak. Be sure to drink your water..:)

vernswifevickie 09-12-2009 09:56 PM

Wow! look at all my old friends dropping by!!! Thanks so much for the visits everyone!!! I am so happy to see all of you!!!

OK so here's what today looked like...

Breakfast:2 cups of coffee with HWC and stevia
One minute muffin with Smart balance spread

Lunch:Egg salad made with 3 eggs and 2 tbs mayo

Snack:
Mock Danish..
30z cream cheese and 1 egg

Dinner:
Mixed greens 1.5 cups
4 grape tomatoes
1/2 baby cucumber sliced
diced, sweet red pepper 1/4 cup
2 tbs feta cheese crumbles
4 0z tri tip roast
2 vodka/diet 7ups

exercise:

walking normal to brisk pace 1 hour and 6 minutes

Total calories 1944
calories burned walking 480

total fat 133 gms
total protein 187 gms
total carbs 23 gms
fiber 4
net carbs 19

2big4mysize 09-13-2009 11:51 AM

so who's plan are you doing cause the atkins folk are going to say your fats are too low and your proteins are too high and the PP folk will say your protein is too low and your fats too hig.

vernswifevickie 09-13-2009 01:50 PM

Ahh 2big...great question. I'm kind of a diet rebel. LOL. Do I really need to do a specific plan? Can't I just keep my carbs low and see what happens? Now, having said that, when I saw those numbers last night my first thought was that I'd fell more comfortable with my fat being higher and the protein being lower. That's not going to be today because I just ate 2 sirlion burger patties with cheese for lunch.

2big4mysize 09-13-2009 02:01 PM

well the ketosis appetite suppression is a huge assistance for those doing a ketogenic ( higth fat) low carb plan and flopping back and forth between high fat high oprotein could cause you craving issues comeing in and out of deep ketosis juts ask any premaintnenace Atkinseer about how scary the return of the appetie is for staying on plan and moving to goal weight and maintnenace.

high fat day for you for sure yum yum. why 2? were you hungry or just had room in your belly?

CarolynF 09-13-2009 02:39 PM

Vickie: I think something happened with your protein amount, cuz no way is that 187 grams of protein..:) Hey, if you are losing on this, then fine. However, if not, then tweak it.

1944 calories seems like alot to me, even with the exercise. But, see what happens..I know we don't count calories, but calories (unfortunately..do count).

Madam De Leon 09-13-2009 04:05 PM

Hi Vicki! I was thinking about you just the other day and wondering how you were doing. Great to see you back here again!

I'm not seeing where anywhere near that much protein is coming from in that food list either...

vernswifevickie 09-13-2009 04:45 PM

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the input, advice and encouragement! I have sooo missed the support and encouragement these forums provide. I didn't realize how much I missed it until now.

2big...I seem to be staying pretty consistently in ketosis. My mouth tastes tinney, I have that weird feeling I get when I'm first in ketosis, and the stix are purple. ( I know the stix aren't the end all be all but they wouldn't be purple if I wasn't in ketosis...yanno what I mean?) I do think I want to be higher fat and lower protein when all is said and done. Honestly this week I just jumped in and said, "Let me cut the carbs, eat lots of fats, eat as much as it takes to keep from backsliding, and get myself into ketosis." I didn't have any more of a plan than that. And, honestly, I might do that for another week but concentrating on cutting down on the higher protein foods and using fats to satisfy.

the two burger patties....I was really hungry when i got out of church, Vern and I are having a big fight and I wanted to binge...so I binged on burger patties. I was pretty full after about 1 and a half but I ate it all anyway. That was at around 12:30. It's 4:30ish now and I am still very full. I think they'll be maybe a snack in my evening but I can't see there being another meal today!

Carolyn,....hmmm you might be on to something there. I used "Tap & Track" on my phone. It's a new app I just downloaded. I think I'll check it against ****** and see how it compares. That's interesting about the calories. According to "Tap & Track" that calorie level is right on target t lose a pound a week. But now I'm not convinced that is accurate. You might well be right about the calories and I'm pretty sure I'll need to cut back after my induction.

Hi Madam!!! It's so great to "see" you! I seriously just woke up last Monday with a "knowing" that I had to come back to low carb...and here I am.

Ok my friends...I am going to plug that menu into ****** and see how the numbers compare. I'm gonna be so sad if they aren't accurate! It's soooo convenient to be able to just plug the foods into my phone throughout the day

2big4mysize 09-13-2009 04:54 PM

ut oh emotional eating not good even if it was legal foods.

Next time if you feel full at 1.5 burgers stop and take the rest home as a snack for later. Knowing you got food for later can help you stop when your hunger is satisfied.

Don't wiorry about cals right now just work on figuring out am I hunger yes eat, no don't. that will be the biggest thing you can master to be a low carb weight loss success.

and woo hoo on that walking brisk earlier.

vernswifevickie 09-13-2009 05:09 PM

So...the numbers look quite different when I plug the same menu into ******. That's really too bad because I loved the convenience of the Iphone tracker. Hmmm...I wonder if ****** has a phone app? So anway...here's the numbers from ****** using the same menu as above

Calories 1,680
Fat 118.9
Protein 72.2
Carbs 32.1/ Fiber 10 /net carbs 22.1
(a little over 20 but still quite acceptable)

vernswifevickie 09-13-2009 05:11 PM

I hear you 2big...you are absolutely right...emotional eating is the one thing that has continually haunted me and I must get past it...Thank you for your clarity in reminding me of the right thing to do. I appreciate your willingness to hold me accountablefor the choices I make.

2big4mysize 09-13-2009 05:21 PM

journal your foods but also your emotions and answere the Ws who what when where why and how you feel before during and after you eat and 60 min later. That will help you see triggers. you can use the journal feature on ****** to keep it with your foods if you want.

****** looks a lot better then your other thing check and be sure they both have the same size serving you typed 30 z of cream cheese I thing you meant 3 ounces but if you inputed anything wrong on those sites it could make a big difference. also did you inoput flax seed meal on ****** and flax seeds on the other for your mock danish? they are about doule the cals and fats for seed vs meal.

vernswifevickie 09-14-2009 07:06 AM

Good advice 2big. I will begin to journal. I guess it really is time for me to begin to address the emotional and spiritual aspects of this battle with food addiction. It seems like a lot of work and ritual but I guess that's really what it's going to take, isn't it?

Yeah, I think ****** is more accurate that my phone app....I'm disappointed because the phone one is so convenient...but at least I can continue to use it to track so I don't forget what to enter into ******.

Ok...yesterday looked like this:

Breakfast:2 cups coffee with 1 tbs HWC in each
OMM with butter spread

Lunch:2 sirloin burger patties with Cheddar cheese
3 lettuce leaves
3 small slices of tomato
1tbs mayo

Drinks: 2 vodka/diet 7ups

Snack:3oz cream cheese sweetened with stevia and dusted with unsweetened cocoa powder.

Calories 1,858
Fat 124.6gms
Protein 90.6gms
Carbs18.1/fiber 6.9/net 11.2

Exercise:walked 1 hour 13 minutes moderate pace

Calorie Balance:
calories eaten 1858
calories burned 2745

starting weight 210
today's weight 204.8
pounds lost 5.2

2big4mysize 09-14-2009 12:35 PM

woo hoo on the 5 pounds lost.

I would not put too much trust in the cals burned from any website to determine you cal balance though.

vernswifevickie 09-14-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2big4mysize (Post 12478886)
woo hoo on the 5 pounds lost.

I would not put too much trust in the cals burned from any website to determine you cal balance though.

yeah I kinda figured that too....it would be nice if all the numbers work in the neat little, inside the box formula though, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

gran to angels 09-14-2009 02:41 PM

Hi Vickie!!
Wow! Look at all the help you are getting!! Maybe I'll start a journal too!
Congrats on the 5 pounds! Good job! The walking is great too.....

We are going to have to plan for another lunch one day too!

Emotional eating is my vise as well....I have to keep reminding myself that food is not going to make anything better, it's not my friend, it's healthy and good fuel!
We can do this....I'm sure of it!

vernswifevickie 09-15-2009 06:59 AM

Hi Gran!!! :hiya: Yes do create a journal here!!! We could visit each other and have a ball! I'm so happy to see you here, can you tell?

OK...here's what yesterday looked like...

Breakfast:
OMM with a smear of cream cheese (1oz measured)
2 cups coffee w 1 tbs HWC in ea

Lunch:
Tuna salad made with
1 can solid white albacore
2 tbs mayo
Rolled into 3 romaine lettuce leaves

Dinner:
Chiken leg quarter, roasted
Mixed green salad with
2 tbs feta cheese
5 grape tomatoes

Snack:
3 oz cream cheese softened and sweetened with stevia

Calories 1,668
Fat 123.5
Protein 105.3
Carbs 40/fiber 23/net 17

Exercise: walked for 1 hour even though I didn't want to :)

2big4mysize 09-15-2009 07:21 AM

good for you gettting that not wanted to walk done!!!

CarolynF 09-15-2009 02:53 PM

5 pounds is great..:) I make myself go to exercise first thing in the morning..After a long while of doing this, it becomes a habit.

This time 09-16-2009 05:37 AM

Vickie:hugs: I'm so happy that you found out what works for you and you're happy with it:up:........Linda:sing:

vernswifevickie 09-16-2009 06:04 AM

Good morning!!!

Thanks so much 2Big,Carolyn, Linda...and all who pop in here to offer a word of support and encouragement! I really think that the support and accountability of these boards are a huge help in walking through a lifestyle change.

It's so time consuming to post my menus here each morning so I have added the link to my ****** under my signature. 2Big...let me know if that's a pain for you and I'll go back to typing it all out here.

Grocery shopping and laundry after work last night so I skipped my walk.

Oh...my numbers for yesterday are off because I accidentally typed in 15 cups of lettuce instead of 1.5...HaHaHa!!! That's a bit more than the "finger grab" that Kimmer recommends!!! ROFL...and I was still in an acceptable range for carbs!

gran to angels 09-16-2009 09:58 AM

Hi Vickie!!!
I'm glad you are so happy! LOL!!!
I do need to start a journal....but for now I'm coming here to say hi and great job and read all your excellent advise!
Exercise is very important...I have to get more of it!! I wish we lived closer so we could walk in the evening!
So did the big fight with Vern end? I'm an emotional eater as well....I am fighting to not eat this morning!!! Work is kicking my butt and I recognize the feelings that would have driven me to the donut box before. I can walk past the box with ease but....the underlying feelings are so there!!! I wonder how long it take to get rid of those.....

So tell me.....does Feta cheese ever cause you a problem? I think any kind of cheese is my problem right now.
After stopping the KK starvation diet I have gained some weight and it's totally freaking me out! Nothing is working....I'm sure I killed my metabolism.
so.....I bet you did not plan for your journal to be a lets heal gran topic!! LOL!!! Sorry about that!!!

Have a wonderful day and I'll be back to check on you!

vernswifevickie 09-16-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gran to angels (Post 12488042)
Hi Vickie!!!
I'm glad you are so happy! LOL!!!
I do need to start a journal....but for now I'm coming here to say hi and great job and read all your excellent advise!
Exercise is very important...I have to get more of it!! I wish we lived closer so we could walk in the evening!
So did the big fight with Vern end? I'm an emotional eater as well....I am fighting to not eat this morning!!! Work is kicking my butt and I recognize the feelings that would have driven me to the donut box before. I can walk past the box with ease but....the underlying feelings are so there!!! I wonder how long it take to get rid of those.....

So tell me.....does Feta cheese ever cause you a problem? I think any kind of cheese is my problem right now.
After stopping the KK starvation diet I have gained some weight and it's totally freaking me out! Nothing is working....I'm sure I killed my metabolism.
so.....I bet you did not plan for your journal to be a lets heal gran topic!! LOL!!! Sorry about that!!!

Have a wonderful day and I'll be back to check on you!

Oh Gran! I would love it if we could walk together! My younger sister moved in with us and she's walking with me now...it's so much better than walking alone!

Yeah...I have struggled after ******* too and I wasn't on it for nearly as long as you were. I don't know what it was about it that did such a number on my head!

Hmmm...I don't know if feta is a problem for me...I'll get back to you on that...LOL. I'm thinking in the small amts that I'm using it shouldn't really be an issue but who knows...in fact..you ever knew that eating could be such a science!?

The fight with Vern...sigh...we agreed to start fresh and I agreed to be over being mad...but I'm not very hopeful about the underlying thing that keeps bringing this particular fight back around. I don't know why marriage has to be so hard.

OK...back to work...I loved taking my break with you!

gran to angels 09-17-2009 02:15 PM

I get a break today too!! So I thought I'd spend it with you!
Men....gotta love 'cos you can't shoot them! LOL!!! Well you could but then there will be the chance you will be a roomie in prison with Heidi! LOL!!!
What was it about that KK head game? I so wish I could figure it out. Even today I will think about eating just eggs and chicken just to see.....of course I won't ever do that again! Starvation sucks! so does losing all your hair and muscle! Nope....I'm sticking to Atkins.
I was wondering about the Feta 'cos I'm think all cheese is causing me a problem. I have had a terrible time getting my metabolism healed....it's still so messed up. Most days I don't think I'm eating enough.

It must be nice to have your walking partner in the house! I can't get my hubby to walk...now if my sis moved in we would be walking all over the place...maybe I'll invite her! LOL!!

so what was your menu today?