Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/140/120
Yeah, agreed! I could really use a workout buddy too!

I tried on a large top in the juniors section because they weren't any XL but it was so cute with hearts. I figured I'd see where I was at, size-wise. Holy crap. It fit! I tried on a misses L sweater next, and it fit too! Pictures of me smiling ear to ear in the fitting room =)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...FBCAA2783E.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...0AB90BC2EE.jpg

I spent the late afternoon today purging all plus sized clothing from my closet =))

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 AM   #212
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Alisa!!! Holy crap you little skinny mini!!!! You look amazing!!!!! I cant imagine you losing another 30 or 40 pounds! Look at that side view!!!!!!! Save your fat clothes for me! I need them!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! I definitely need to lose, at the very least, another 45 lbs. I know from 2003 that 130ish will put me at a size 6 where I still hate my thighs. The weight loss will slow as time goes on but, heck, for someone who had to fight to not put pounds on and barely lose anything, even with eating very low carb to zero carb, I won't complain. Unlike 2003, though, I'm going to exercise more this time!

I'm still skeptical about my endocrinologist wanting me to get down to 110 lbs. I have a feeling I'll be readjusting that goal, but I'm going to give some time to see what happens.

I need to start serious butt exercises too. The side view in the pic is so much less because my butt is missing! My chest too, but that's okay because bigger is not better when they're all blobby and saggy! No smaller bra fits right, so I'm still wearing my Lane Bryant ones for now, until I have pocket money and can get somewhere for a fitting. The bras are the only thing I own from LB now.

I took all of my big girl clothes to a consignment store and donated the rejects immediately. They were dumpy and worn, for the most part. All of my 14s will go next. After that, I have bags of smaller clothes from the 90s to 2003... I"m kind of afraid to see how out of date they are! I think the last shorts I wore in public were from when I was dating my husband in '97... they're in those bags somewhere. Much to his great annoyance, I have always refused to part with my smaller clothes, lugging them through all of our moves, determined I'd get back there! If you or anyone you know wants clothes, I'll start saving them.

You're already blazing down the scales again so you'll be shopping the smaller racks right along with me!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Alisa, you look so thin and beautiful! Really happy for you! You deserve this!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Gail!

This rain! I love rain, but I hate to go out and walk the dog in cold, pouring rain. Today looks better at least. I am going to make it a point to take a long walk today.

I did some xbox Zumba at home the past day or two, but I'm still so uncoordinated so i doubt it counts =) work has been crazy and at home has been busy so I'm trying not to let it throw everything else off. I haven't done well with getting to the gym this week so i need to fix that too!

I used the rest of the time inside to work on the house some and finishing up Christmas un-decorating. It was much needed anyway! It's SO nice to be able to lift things on my own again!

Last edited by Matrigna; 01-12-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Old 01-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

Woot! I just calculated my BMI and I am officially no longer "obese!" I am now at the highest end of "overweight!" I am looking very forward to "normal." =)))
Old 01-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

I'm back! We've had some snowy weather, and that's been keeping me busy.

I'm doing pretty good. I'm down to 172.0 today and hope to see the 160's very soon! I'm losing steadily, but not as fast. I'm definitely not losing a pound a day anymore. I'd say I'm losing more like one pound every three days now. But at least I'm losing. Compared to before, this is a miracle!

I make sure to keep moving, and I'm doing something for an hour at least every day to keep my calories down.... I'm eating around 600 calories/day but usually burn at least half of that, if not more. Most days, it's still just walking. Yesterday, I shoveled snow for over two hours, and that put me in the negative. There's some days I do a lot and burn more than I eat.

I joined a Saturday morning local ladies walking group, so that gets me up out of bed early on the weekend. This way, I learn all of the local trails but I'm with people, so I'm not wandering alone in the woods, lost and confused =P I joined a doggy and me hiking group too, but I haven't started that yet, and they only meet once a month. My little one turns 14 on Saturday, so I may have to skip everything this week.

I'm working to keep up my protein and water, but I've been doing great with my vitamins and eating. I went a little carb-y and made a small batch of quinoa pizza bites this week, but I'm making sure to count and track everything. I just got so sick of eggs! I also made a huge batch of lamb meatballs with spinach, sundried tomato, feta, and garlic. They're good stuff! I made tzatiki dipping sauce and made some roasted cauliflower "greek potato" style with lots of lemon to go with them. Every week, I'm trying to make a big-batch recipe of something so I can have lunches and quick food when I want/need it. Last week, it was eggplant ricotta roll-ups and chili. Not sure what I'll do next week yet, but I have literally thousands of recipes pinned as well as some great cookbooks, so it's just a matter of buying stuff and making time to cook it.

Last week, I decided I should have shrimp instead of chili. Well, I used frozen cooked shrimp and maybe overcooked it and/or didn't chew enough. OMG. I was so sick! I finally puked and hauled my butt to CVS for papaya enzymes, which seemed to really help. It felt like the shrimp were alive and gnawing my stomach! So far, knock on wood, this is the only time I've had a problem! I'm still not pushing it-- no overeating, no sugar, no unplanned/untracked eating!

The other day, I tried on some size 12 bottoms and large tops at the store, and most of them fit =) My calves and thighs are still not boot-cut jean friendly, however. I really want that to change. I can squeeze into the skinny-cut jeans, but they aren't very flattering. So I'm still in straight-leg. I need to measure again and see where I'm at now with inches lost.

My husband's college classes end tonight. I think, after that, we'll be going to the gym just about every night. That will hopefully help me get into boot-cuts and ready for summer!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:43 AM   #218

Wanted to see how you were doing, sounds great, love the pic!!!!!! You got this girlie!!!! You will be super skinny bu summer in a size 6!!!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

I'm back! Between the snow, the house, the kid, and work, life's been hectic. I've been reading the site when I can, but haven't gotten around to posting.

I've been doing great! No complications, no problems with foods at all, and I've felt really good. It's been 2 months and 3 weeks exactly since my surgery, so I'm coming up on 3 months even very soon. That's when I'll go back to my surgeon for my second follow-up visit and he'll tell me how my labs are. I think I've been doing great with my vitamins, but I'm curious if I'm getting enough calcium or vitamin A, and I'm worried I'm going overkill with vitamin D. So we'll see!

I'm down 45 lbs since surgery day, sitting at 165. I'm swimming in my 14 bottoms and can't wear them. Most days I wear 12s and sometimes 10s. I'm wearing a size L top but, for some sweaters, I need Mediums already. When you consider that, during my thyroid cancer treatment three years back when I had to go full hypothyroid before the radioactive iodine, I ballooned up to 268 lbs (and a size 20 bottom), I can say I've lost over 100 lbs and am nearly half my size. It's noticeable too, even people who you would never expect to pay attention have commented.

I'm starting to feel better and dress a little better now. I was wearing blue jeans and baggy t-shirts and tennis shoes every day, no matter where I went and what I did, and I felt completely huge and dumpy. Now, I'm buying things in style. Jean jackets are coming back in style, so I bought a cute J. Crew one for spring. Colored jeans are everywhere, so I bought a green pair and a red pair. I just ordered wide-calf tall riding boots, which there was no way I could get on before, even when I tried extra-wide-calf ones. I'm breaking my jewelry back out and wearing it every day. My bags and bags of too-small clothes are dwindling! I still wouldn't dare put on shorts or anything like that, but this is progress! I stop by stores to window shop and try-on things "just to see what looks good," whereas fitting rooms made me cry before.

I'm feeling more like me again for the first time in several years. So far, WLS was my best decision ever! =)

I'm mostly still just walking. I still haven't gotten back into the gym full-swing or jogging. But I'm walking up to 4-to-5 miles at a time. When I started, just one mile felt like I was dying.

I really slowed down with weight loss there for a little while, and I know you're supposed to hit the "dreaded stalls" even with WLS from time to time... and it's not that I was "stalled" but just losing so slowly, and I know my calories are okay. The problem was protein! I just can't eat the way my bariatric nutritionist tells her patients to. I just don't get enough protein that way. And everyone (other WLS vets on this site and other forums) told me that, and I knew that. Now I really know it! It's true. I up my protein, and I lose! Go figure that something you read on the Internet has more truth to it than your doctor's advice! I already eat a lot of yogurt and chicken and seafood, but I've been adding in at least one protein drink each day, even though it's "not allowed," and I've been seeing results.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #220

You look super hun!!! So proud of you I know what a journey you have had with the cancer and getting better!!!! Now that you are eating higher protein are you watching your fat? I am trying to figure out what works, I know too much fat even low carb is not working, that whole eat 90% fat not cutting it for me! I was thinking about Dukan which is pretty high protein, lower fat, and a little oat bran
Old 04-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

I am way overdue for an update!

So, today marks 4 months and 3 weeks exactly since surgery. I'm doing/feeling GREAT! I'm at 155 lbs. I'm still "overweight" according to my BMI; "normal" starts at 25.0, and I'm at 26.6.

I had to keep rescheduling my 3 month post-surgery checkup because I've just been so busy (and kept losing the lab slip to have my blood drawn, ugh!). I finally went this past Friday. The doc was pleased with my progress and said I'm doing everything perfectly. My vitamin levels are all great, my protein and calorie intakes are perfect, and my eating is right on target. (I stress over things like, are my calories too high? too low? Am I really getting enough protein? etc.)

I'm off all prescription meds except for my Armour, but that's been cut in half. I'm spending all of that saved money on vitamins, just about, though! I don't need the fancy ones I'm buying, but better safe than sorry. I take my vitamins religiously. I'm still tracking all of my food religiously, too.

Still no complications, thank goodness. I've had some hair loss and skin sag, but nothing horrifying. (My hair loss was WAY worse during my first Atkins go-round in '03). The worst part, so far, is hormonal acne! I have the complexion of a teenager, but with wrinkles. The doc assures me this is temporary. I tried everything, and the zits just keep coming. I *think* a combination of oils is helping most-- lavender and oregano oils especially. But, you know, if that's the worst thing out of this, I'll take it. I was really worried about having a pale, drawn look as I lost weight, but that's not happening so far. I can eat whatever I want-- I've tested, here and there. I mainly stick to low carb choices because that's what I feel best on. It's so nice not to have that constant hunger anymore and be obsessed over when and what I could eat next! Segway-ing into my new addiction, shopping! I'm obsessed over things now like finding the perfect red stretch belt.

I don't really *feel* thinner, but I'm wearing much smaller clothes! I still feel self-conscious and awkward, but I'm having so much more fun with fashion now, and I have to rein myself in because I'm spending way too much money! Or so says the hubby =P He's no fun.

I still need to start taking more pictures! Here's one from a couple of weeks ago. I was bugging my husband over text, trying to convince him I NEEDED a trench coat for spring and it was an "investment piece" and look how cute it looks. I finally had to bribe him with scenarios in said trench coat, if he let me buy it! I got my trench coat! =P http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a170/brwneyd_gurl/C04F5932-301A-4E47-8797-378C57CF57A4.jpg

I have a lot more energy. For example, at my appointment last week, I realized I took the stairs five floors back to my car in the parking garage without even getting out of breath. Before losing weight, there was no way I'd walk ONE floor and, when I did do things like that, I was dying for like 10 minutes following! That proves I can do more! So I need to step up the fitness. Mostly, I'm still doing a LOT of walking. I'll pick up the weights once a week or so and pop in exercise tapes more and more, but I need to really and consciously step it up. Like I said, there's some sagging, and I'd like to be more comfortable in shorts and tank tops in public, now that I can wear them! I really wanted to do roller derby, but I'm starting up going back to school, running all around to find the right one and studying to clep out of classes, and there's just no time! I think keeping the gym membership handy and actually using it will be much more flexible.

Before all of this, even though I saved most of my old clothes, I recently realized I tossed all of my size 6's because I just knew I'd never be that small. Well, I'm donating some 10's now because they are just too big! I'm starting to open the 8's bags!

Last edited by Matrigna; 04-21-2014 at 06:33 AM..
Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chalagurl
Stats: 245/240(16 weeks pregnant)/130
WOE: JUDDD
Alisa, your journey is so inspiring! Great job on the weight loss! I have a few questions if that's okay?

1. From some research I've done online, I thought you had to have a BMI of 40 or higher to qualify for gastric bypass. It seems like you were much smaller that that when you qualified?

2. Besides BMI, what kind of tests, questions, hoops did they make you jump through before you were approved? I've been "thinking" about gastric bypass for years, never really acting on it. What made you decide that gastric bypass was the right choice for you?

3. After looking at your Christmas picture, I just have to ask, are you by any chance a Whovian? If so, awesome, and who is your favorite Doctor?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon, keep up the good work

Trying a modified JUDDD woe. Aprox. 2200/1200.
Chalagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Chantal Thank you, and I don't mind questions at all!

1. I was at a BMI of 36 when I submitted to my insurance for WLS approval. I had comorbidities (like high blood pressure, etc.) along with an above-35-BMI, which is what helped to qualify me.

2. I took a two-hour webinar and Q&A session given by my surgeon as part of his requirement, before I could make an initial appointment with him. For insurance, I completed questionnaires detailing my weight loss struggles and adventures, gathered supporting documentation from past doctors and dieticians, etc. (It wasn't enough to satisfy insurance requirements). So, then, I underwent 3 months of nutrition counseling through a nutritionist at my bariatric surgeon's office. It totaled 3 visits. It felt like forever, at the time, and I was ready for surgery "like NOW," but it wasn't bad at all. I also had to see a psychiatrist for evaluation. The one recommended by my surgeon's office happened to require two visits, one for intake and one for feedback, but I used her anyway. Most people getting WLS have just one psych eval appointment, intake/feedback all in the same session. I was also required to attend a support group meeting. I went to the one at the hospital, through my surgeon, but found my own local one after that, which I still go to every month, even though I'm not required. I also had a couple of pre-op appointments with the surgeon. This was all required by my insurance before I could submit my request. Approval took about two weeks, and I took the first available surgery opening, which was on Black Friday. I was fasting all during Thanksgiving, but it all worked out perfectly because I celebrated the weekend before and made TONS of turkey broth, which was a lot more filling than I thought it would be.

The webinar helped me decide on bypass over sleeve. After the webinar, I read quite a few books about the differences between sleeve and bypass surgeries, and bypass was still the one for me. I talked to my surgeon throughout, and he echoed my choice. It's "the gold standard" and he recommended it for me. He seemed really excited I chose that one, which made me feel even more confident about it. Everyone around me, it seemed, had gotten or was getting sleeve surgery. Personally, I liked the idea of having the added malabsorbive component for the first year or so. I didn't like the idea of food being pushed through a "tube" and just felt more comfortable with my anatomy going in the bypass direction, with everything still there except for an inch or two of small intestine. I was a little worried what the malabsorbtion would mean for my thyroid meds, but my endocrinologist was surprisingly all for it, when I told her what I was doing, and my lab work keeps coming up perfect

3. Yes! It started as something fun to watch with my youngest son and grew from there. Nine remains my favorite, but I love them all. I'm looking very forward to seeing what Capaldi does with the role! I was *really* disappointed that Eccleston didn't participate in the 50th.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

April-- I forgot to answer you about fats!

I try to keep my carbs as low as I can (but if I want some oatmeal, I eat some oatmeal... maybe about once a month or so, because I like steel-cut and who has time to mess with that, and I remind myself it's okay and not to freak out because I'm eating carbs ). The last part is hard! LOL! I try to keep fat and protein about even on my pie chart. I'm eating differently every day, for the most part, but I'm trying to consciously pick things with at least some fat at every meal. I'm always looking at my nutrition pie chart on my tracking app and trying to even it out. My surgeon is echoing my nutritionist and insisting I don't need to go protein overkill, but I still make sure I get enough every day and eat primarily meat. If I have a day I'm just not very hungry or don't feel like messing with chewing (I actually have meals/days like this), I at least drink some raw milk to make up for it, because that has about 24% butterfat, protein, AND calcium, so good stuff. But I want to start making kefir again to make that a lower carb thing so I feel better about it. I get carb guilt something awful over things like beans, milk, oats, etc.!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 AM   #225

Alisa- good to hear you are doing so well!!!! I bet you look super!!! My sister is having a ton of issues, now gallstones needs to have gall bladder out, couldn't happen to a nicer person! LOL She is still fat, she eats everything, like at easter she was eating all carbs, I still have not said one thing to her about her weight since she never said anything to me!!! I told her you were doing awesome!!!! Size 8 !!!! That is super!!!!! It sounds like you got it figured out.

Put melaleuca oil on your blemishes it will dry them up it is sort of smelly so do it at night and lavender during the day. Ever hear of Doterra? I use it and sell it I love their products!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Oh no! I've been terrified of my gallbladder acting up. I do NOT want to go under the knife again anytime soon and, when I do, it better be for the promise of a flatter tummy or gravity-defying girly parts! So far, so good. I take milk thistle and eat fat every day. My nutritionist and most weight loss surgery communities are mega low-fat advocates, but your gallbladder needs fat or that bile gets all thick! Add rapid weight loss from surgery to that, and I think it's all related. It would make sense. Poor gallbladder! I hope your sis has an easy time of it.

As for the carbs, I know you can get away with it more so the first year or so after WLS. She'll probably still lose like crazy... I've noticed I stall a lot, no matter what, so it might be the same for her. But I've read and heard that you should eat lower carb, right away, because you want to develop those good habits right away or the weight will creep back on after a few/couple of years. At the same time, I see preaching of low calories and low fat, which I ignore, for the most part. If I know it's good stuff, like fish, or full fat yogurt (as long as it's not full of sugary flavorings) I don't worry about the calories. I look at calories for junk food I want to eat. It makes me put it down, right away, usually! I'm not *as* strict and will eat a few bites of whole foods, here and there, like sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc. that I wouldn't have touched before WLS. But I traded in low carb products that don't work, like Dreamfields, for high protein products, like noodles made of beans and water only. I can't eat much of any of it, though, because I finish my protein/meat first at every meal (the rule is at least five bites, but I usually finish it), THEN go for the other stuff, so I'm usually too full to do it! It always sounds good before I start eating, so it's nice to have on the plate, but it usually gets thrown out!

I keep hearing great things about doterra oils! Can you PM me a link?

Last edited by Matrigna; 04-22-2014 at 06:17 AM..
Old 04-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

I popped on here to see if I recorded any early measurements, and I did not. I wish I would have done that! I have some comparisons, but not all.

Tomorrow is five months exactly since surgery. I measured. I did at least record hips, waist, neck. In five months, I am down 8" in my hips, 9" in my waist, and 1.5" in my neck. I was wearing a 42 DDD bra and, today, I have a slightly baggy 36" DD on. I added chest, thighs, and arms to my tracking app. I'll measure again next month. I'm sitting at 56 lbs lost since surgery too.

I am much better today, but the ER thinks I had a recurrence if C-Diff, back from when I had my surgery. Not sure how it can suddenly recur nearly five months later! Maybe it was just a virus from hell! But I am back on flagyl and awaiting results. No gym yesterday and most likely today. It was like labor contractions in my intestines! Ugh! I slept on/off all day yesterday so am surely caught up on sleep, but I'm feeling so good today that I'm eating fine and about to take the dog for a long walk =) i think my muscles are all too tender yet for going back to the gym today. Definitely tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Alisa, you look fabulous! And your weight loss stats and measurements are amazing. So happy for you! You deserve this success! Just think of how wonderful this summer will be for you too!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #229

Alisa look at your skinny little face!!!!!! You are doing awesome!!!!!!!! You look amazing!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 AM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Amber and Gail =) Hope you're both doing great and enjoying this warmer weather!

I'm an even 60 lbs down now, as of this morning. 0.7 until I fall in a "normal" BMI range. Almost back to my "square one." =) Wearing my camouflage skinny jeans today-- another milestone of sorts because I've never worn skinny jeans in public (and with boots on the outside) until today. They look pretty good and I'm actually comfortable in them.

The only bad thing that's new lately is I have this baggy skin under my eyes that wasn't there before. I hope it's temporary and just skin that needs to catch up and snap back. It makes me l

I'm feeling terrific! I took a motorcycle riders course a couple of weeks ago-- I failed this first try, but it's something I never would have tried when I was heavier. I've been really getting a lot of activity in, MUCH more than I have in years now because I finally have some energy, and it makes such a difference in how I feel. Thinking of dusting off the bicycle and getting a pair of quad skates. I visited an event where the local roller derby team was volunteering and talked to them. I'm not ready to invest that time and make it a priority, but it feels good to have stuff like that on the radar.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:21 AM   #231

It is amazing, I think of how much I passed up and passed by with Robert when he was little since I was so fat! You do have an incredible amount of energy losing the weight, even with having gained the 35 pounds that I did back I can feel it, I am getting my gym grove back and I feel tons better!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Hiya! Big 6-month surgiversary-er, here! Accompanied by officially breaking into the 140's! =)

I'm doing really good. Staying active and really mindful of what I'm eating. Even better, I feel so great!

Hope you are all doing well! I need to catch my butt up on here so badly.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

Just checking in. Hope you're all doing well!!

I hit a big milestone today: A 25.0 BMI. I am officially "normal!" LOL!

To celebrate, I attended my first ever Zumba class. It was so fun! I want to incorporate these into my work from home Fridays since I signed up for college fall semester Saturday morning classes, which means I can't meet up with my walking group on Saturday mornings now.

My husband has been away on travel and my son is at camp all next week-- I'm going to see what other classes I can work in and try at our local rec center. Evening yoga is on the list. I've never done a spin class, so I'd like to try that, too.

It's been 7 months, 1 week, and 4 days since my WLS now! I *just* started wearing shorts AND tank tops in public and feeling comfortable in them. I bought and put on a regular bathing suit too! I have a little tan going, on my arms AND my legs! It's summer, but I am not miserable! Or ashamed! These are all huge victories for me!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:48 AM   #234

Alisa you look awesome!!! The weight is super but being comfortable in your own skin is the real victory! You are beautiful and I am sure you feel so great!!!!! Enjoy this summer!