Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/138/120
OK... so where did I leave off....

I had a huge scare over the past month. My salivary gland/duct keeps swelling, so my endo sent me for a sonogram (even though I just went through the first annual scan to make sure I stayed in remission and everything was great), and they found a "semi-suspicious" node under my collar bone area. So I had to do a whole bunch of labs for that, and my blood work was perfect as far as nothing to worry about with that, but I was somehow have ended up severely hypothyroid again. So we upped my thyroid meds. I'm still not feeling the energy there. With all of my thyroid ups, downs, and stables, the weight is staying very stubborn. (Sidenote: the doc said she's willing to do thyrogen shots next year. yay! That will help with not getting so off track and bouncing back faster.)

In the meantime, I've been doing a lot of reading on the health benefits of raw milk and fermented foods, so I have been drinking some kombucha and homemade kefir every day for the past week or so. I'll be making the kombucha soon too-- it takes three weeks just to grow the culture. Anyway, the strangest side effect is happening-- the scale is budging! Finally, after all of this time teetering between Onederland and Twoderville =) The days I do not drink either, I do not lose. I drink it, the next day I'm down at least .5 lbs. I have no clue if it's either of those things doing it, but I know both are good for me and I'm going to keep drinking them anyway... a little every day. So far, the scale has budged 5 lbs. I know that's not a lot for most people but, for me, that's a miracle! I still have more reading to do... could I have had something going on in my gut that was imbalanced that's now balancing? I don't know enough about any of this stuff yet to form an educated sentence about it. But I'm working on it =) Fingers crossed the loss continues!

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Just a quick diary check-in. Still very slowly losing, but still losing all the same! As of this morning, I'm at 46 lbs lost and a BMI of 33 even.

Still tweaking the thyroid all over again since that first annual cancer check-- the damage that being off meds, radioactive iodine, and a low iodine diet can cause! UGH! I feel my energy just about balanced back out. I did housework from morning 'til night for two days straight and did not stop, AND I walked the dog. That's progress from last month, but it's also the very first weekend I've felt so peppy. Hopefully it's the start of good things that stick around this time! I hate that I have to keep taking two steps back from my every step forward!

I'm still drinking/eating fermented things. I'm on my 5th batch of home-made kombucha now, and I've been making my own kefir for well over a month. I've ran this by my doctor, who gave me a thumbs up, so I'm going to definitely continue with both of these things.

Once I hit 54 lbs lost, I am half-way to my goal! So I'm very eager to lose those 8 lbs right now. It gives me a mini-goal to work towards
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

I just did some math for mini goal future reference, so I have some real numbers to work on:

189 lbs: I am just three pounds away from the 180s right now!
184 lbs: Exactly Half-Way to Goal!
171 lbs: BMI of "Overweight" (No longer "Obese")
157 lbs: 3/4 Way to Goal!
148 lbs: BMI of "Healthy" (No longer "Overweight")
130 lbs: GOAL!
Old 10-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Sooo.... after yet another months-long stall, I went through a stint of hanging onto the wagon, but definitely not being ON the wagon. We're not talking "full-fledged cheats" at first, more like working the system... Dreamfield's and Atkins Endulge, which were gateway carbs enough to totally fall off the wagon. I went through almost two weeks of eating everything I wanted (it started as just a cheat day), and got back on the wagon, wondering why I would let things get so out of control. Months upon months of fighting every pound and losing the same as I gain. I definitely feel better low carb, and I guess that's why I stick with it as much as I do, but it seems like I can lose 5 lbs and then maintain at best, on induction levels, for months on end. I see the endo regularly. My thyroid levels are good. Take glumetza for PCOS. Nada. I've decided to get gastric bypass surgery. More to come!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Wow...Gastric bypass surgery? That's a big one!! I don't know if I would have the courage to do that. Kudos to you

I too have a bad thyroid, but not cancer or hashimoto's. I just have a really bad thyroid. My highest level was 126. It is 8 years after being diagnosed, and my meds still haven't leveled out yet. It sucks. It is so hard for me to lose weight. I hear your agony. Right now, at this moment, this is the first time that I have stuck to something, held strong and finally started losing more than just 10 lbs. Normally, by the time I start to lose weight, I have given up on that method of dieting. So far so good this time. I feel like I am a little older now (38) and a little more focused instead of looking for a fast fix.

I wish you luck on your journey Good luck on the surgery!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck with low carb! I had the biggest success the first time around, before health issues. I wish I would have just stuck with it, back then!

Thanks for the luck and well wishes! I'm hoping the pre-op time goes by fast and I wind up thin and with energy again and can get off all these darned meds and some issues subside. And come through with no complications, of course! I found a great surgeon, so that makes a huge difference.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #157
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Alisa:
I have been MIA in my carb fog, surgery is really serious, but I am sure you have researched it thoroughly, Tony works with a guy and his wife who had it 8 months ago, she has been hospitalized twice, now needs a hip replacement. They have lost weight but didnt get as thin as they wanted, she had GB, he got the lap band. Its a big decision that I know you want go into lightly, but I am here routing for you!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

hi Amber. So glad to see you back! I know it's a huge, life-changing decision and has its share of risks-- I'm terrified of complications, but making sure I'm very well informed; I'm taking this seriously, working my way though the process, and reading my heart out. I am so strict with my diet and activity and, at most, my weight stays the same. I slack even a little, and watch out! Every pound has been a battle for so long and I'm on so many medications and just frustrated and upset. Anything else I could do at this point is drastic and carries plenty of its own health risks, so I really think this is my best option to make a positive difference. I have one pre-requirement appointment left (this week!) before I can make it an official decision, and then I get my date and start pre-op appointments.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #159

Good luck Alisa I feel ya staying the same I have gained 25 pounds that I have been carrying over a year and it doesnt move!!! I get strict lose, then gain it all back I make no progress, some of that is my own fault, I need to be much more careful I am hoping being back here and accountable will help!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

This place does wonders. Support... it's like magic

If ANYONE can do it, I know you can and will do it, Amber!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #161

So is it scheduled? Are you doing it for sure? Let me know, I will be praying for you!!!! I hope that it will help, I know how hard you have had it with your thyroid and all you went through, I know the feeling of just being done with not losing!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning!

It's scheduled, but I do have one dietician appointment to go before we can submit it to insurance, and then I have my primary physician's clearance and the EKG to get. So there's a couple of things before it's officially going to happen, but the getting the date makes it feel real.

Thank you!

I know it will help. I can't wait for this! As time goes by, I'm ready! I"m having fun setting goals now. Unlike the past few years, it's so exciting to think about actually setting and reaching my goals! And getting off of all of this medication! And hopefully feeling MUCH better!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #163

OK keep me posted. I am thinking of you.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! I am scheduled for 11/29. It will be a clear liquids kind of Thanksgiving day, this year! Actually, I'll be "cleansing" on T-day... joy joy. It will be worth it, though. I am getting SO EXCITED! I've been super-ramping-up the fluids, vitamins, whole low carb food, right sleep, and exercise. I swear, it's like I'm nesting or something. Still not losing a darned ounce, but feeling good =)
Old 10-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #165

WOW Alisa almost a month to prepare!!!! Liquids on thanksgiving???? Oh man that sucks!!! I decided I am eating on Thanksgiving, I am always so stressed about eating every day of my life, I am going to enjoy that one day and we are having all 20 of us in the new house, so we are looking forward to it!!!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

So a housewarming/Thanksgiving? That sounds really fun! I understand wanting a day where you don't need to stress about food and can just enjoy a meal with your family, especially if you're cooking and hosting it.

I'm going to cook my turkey the weekend before. I'm still low-carbing, so I'll make some legal sides... I AM going to make a sweet potato side, though, so that's only legal-ish, and only if I stick to a SMALL portion. Last year I made them savory, like scalloped potatoes, and they were SO GOOD! Weird, but in a yummy way My son still doesn't know whether or not he's driving up for Thanksgiving. I told him I'm having surgery the day after, so don't expect too much! I am not telling anyone in my family or my husband's what I'm getting done. Or at work. I was getting laid off from my contract and thought I'd be working from home full time for a while, on overhead, but it looks like the government is insisting on getting me back. So I guess at least the coworkers will be wondering what is going on with me. Already told management I needed off for a "woman issues" procedure weeks ago. Now I'm stuck in my stupid lie.

I know! As of this week, I have a month! It really can't come soon enough. I want to get to the good part where I'm past the pain and healed, off meds, feeling better, and losing weight! I have about three more appointments to keep me busy. And shopping! I've read every single book on my surgeons resources list and then some, so now I'm at the point of researching whey protein powders that have the least heavy metals, making vats of bone broth, buying my chewable and liquid vitamins, making lists of what I need, etc. I've been exercising more, eating more whole foods and chucking the frankenfood, and really taking my vitamins and drinking my water, to get ready.

I'm so happy I saved all of my clothes from my first go-round of Atkins in '03. Probably mostly outdated, but I'm going to wear it all anyway!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

18 days until surgery! I'm so excited!

I have exactly one medical appointment left to go, this Thursday. I'm waiting on insurance pre-auth approval to be finalized. Everything's bought and organized. Lists are made. Plans are in place. Now it's just the little stuff, like making bone broth for my 3-day-before clear liquid fast, making ahead and freezing meals for the guys, planning my weekend-before [low carb] Thanksgiving dinner, finding that lost matching slipper so I can take them to the hospital with me =P

I'm being good and eating right, chugging my water, taking my vitamins, and trying to get outside and move at least one hour a day. Been doing this for about three weeks now, and I've actually gained 2 lbs in all of this! Ugh! How is that possible?! I have exactly ONE pair of jeans that fit.

18 more days....
Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 AM   #168

Alisa- I am in shock but my sister called me last night and said she is having the vertical sleeve gastrectmy on 12/11 I about died, she never diets she was always telling me I was nuts for doing atkins, it caught me so off guard, of course I want to support her, but she is being really wierd!!!!

It is getting so close!!!!!! Good luck hun!!!!!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you! Wow, yeah, that's a huge decision and happening SOON. I wish her lots of luck and would love to hear all about how she does! The sleeve has less dietary restriction, i think. I can't remember because, I learned about the differences about 6 months ago or so, but I've been set on bypass since the beginning. I hope being really familiar with low carb helps and makes things that much easier for me-- and your sis has you. Maybe she will start asking for advice and recipes =)
Old 11-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Single digits, baby! 9 days to go! <--- Still excited

Low-carbing, tracking my food intake, chugging my water, getting my vitamins, moving every day, etc. For the most part, I'm getting more protein in my diet than fat now. The name of the game is promoting fast healing.

There's nothing left to do. Feeling a little bit stir crazy.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #171

Bone broth is so good for you, I roast the bones in the oven and then cook them 24 hours in the crock pot with a little vinegar that helps leech the calcium and stuff from the bones.

I love Beverly International Protein Powder UMP-ultimate muscle protein, it is low carb 3 carbs, and it tastes delish even with water, I use unsweetened almond milk in mine. I have wasted so much money on so much crap!

I am excited, you are 2 weeks before my sister, I am hoping I can let her know how it is going!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

OK, your sis is having sleeve. I couldn't remember which you said! It'll be interesting to see how we both do! Oh, ETA: I'm totally fine with you sharing any info with her, if that's what you meant. Heck, definitely... it might help her, even. The WLS forum here is good, but there's other ones too, if you wanted to keep a little distance there!

And, thanks! I'm excited too!!

I bought a bunch of stuff! They say not to buy too much, so I did control myself somewhat, but I wanted to make sure I had what I needed on-hand after surgery. I've learned so much more since then, so I might, say, switch up what I buy for vitamins a little the next time I shop. Plus, at the last pre-op nutritionist visit, I learned that she wants me to cut out all protein shakes and supplements at week 4. Interesting. So I will have some leftover stuff! I did the math, and I bet I'll be going back to them at some point. She hasn't given me the long-term post op plan yet, so we'll see... there are SO MANY freaking handouts, so less is more right now, for information,. At first, you don't want to drink all of your calories, plus you want to get that full feeling and keep it around for a while, with denser protein, so you can do things right. So I'm okay with that. If nothing else, I'll use up the protein in cooking, later on. I'm going to post what I bought here so I have it somewhere, just haven't gotten to it yet I also bought some great books that have good information and recipes.... one book needs to just be deleted from Kindle and is crap, and the other is sales-pitchy but a keeper because of the great recipes and info, but one in particular was an awesome purchase and I have no worries on "omg, what can I eat? What WILL I eat?!

I've been loving Jay Robb egg white protein, but that will all change after surgery! Apparently, whey isolate is going to be best for me after WLS. And I actually learned, recently, that gelatin/collagen is more of a "junk" protein because it doesn't have the same amino acids, etc. But bone broth is so good for so many other reasons, so I plan to drink that instead of things like Crystal Light and Mia constantly when I'm home. I want to keep it "less artificial" than I was doing when I lost all of that weight on Atkins; Splenda can't heal, so I'm just going to keep that in mind

Last edited by Matrigna; 11-20-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Old 11-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

So, my countdown timer app tells I have 6 days, 15 hours until surgery, so I can officially say "in less than one week!"

I've been busy planning our Thanksgiving dinner for Saturday. I'm having my mom, her friend, my MIL, and possibly BIL over. So far, the low carb(ish) menu includes:
  • sage butter bacon turkey (Lowcarbluxury's)
  • garlic SF honey mustard ham
  • rutabaga cauli mash
  • sweet potato gratin (my planned splurge of the holiday, no grains or sugars or anything)
  • spinach with butternut squash and cranberries
  • sausage and mushroom stuffing (Suzanne Somers old recipe)
  • harvest veggies (green beans with peppers and stuff)
  • orange chutney cranberry sauce
  • goat cheese stuffed apricots with pecans and SF honey drizzle (OK, so apricots aren't really low carb and also a splurge, but they just sounded so good and strawberries are meh this time of year and I'm tired of those)
There will also be corn casserole (with bacon on top =)), dinner rolls, gravy, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and cake for the carb coma lovers. Out of that, the corn and gravy are the only things I'm actually making... the rest will be packaged because I don't feel like prepping and baking until 2 AM. I have the stuff to make sweet potato pie, but I'm going to do that later in the week, so the hubs and son have something to look forward to with leftovers on Thursday. I already made a huge low carb pumpkin cheesecake this week, which we ate up in record time! So I'm fine with my apricots =) I'm going shopping in just a couple of hours.

While I was busy making lists, I've been thinking after-surgery goals. My endo thinks I should have no problem getting in the 110s so, even though she may be delusional, I'm going to join her in that and make losing 100 lbs my ultimate goal. If I lose it all, I want to make 120 lbs my "warning weight" since that's more like what I was thinking as a goal-- it's about 20% body fat and BMI. Weighing 110 should put me around a comfy size 4, since 125 had me in a size six. After my first 4 weeks post-op passes, I will start daily morning yoga and afternoon weights or cardio. My husband has been running every night and I've been thinking about picking this up too. When I take the dog out or walk her, I've been jogging that instead of walking it.

I dragged my bag out from under the bed and started throwing things for the hospital in it. I'm way ahead of myself, but I can't help it. I'm so ready for this!

Oh, and I start my clear liquid diet on Tuesday.

Last edited by Matrigna; 11-22-2013 at 05:54 AM..
Old 11-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Thanksgiving went great! Everything turned out great and I was so happy we still got to have a holiday with some family. And I kept the sweet potatoes to 1/3 cup The best part now is having turkey and ham bones to make lots of broth.

My 3-day clear liquid diet started today. So far, I've had broth, broth, and more broth, all turkey. It's so good! And hot lemon water with a bit of cayenne pepper and splenda. I'm brewing some coffee now I wasn't sure I was going to do coffee, but I really want some and I'll be giving it up for a while soon enough. No cream, but that's okay-- I have to do that for a month every year because of the low iodine diet for thyroid cancer testing, so I know I can do black.

I was planning on taking the dog walking a lot, to keep away from food, but the weather is so crappy and we moved the chicken coop, she ate god knows what at the old spot, and is as sick as a dog today!

I was really worried about hunger pangs and staying away from the kitchen.... of course it was sleeting this morning and I worked from home, right next to the kitchen, which is an explosion of Thanksgiving leftovers, desserts included. I think this is where eating low carb all of these years is really helping, because I'm used to saying no to myself. Every time I feel hungry, I go drink some broth. It helps that it tastes really good and I'm not just stuck with SF jello and popsicles and bouillon cubes. So, being next to the kitchen is actually working out to be a good thing. I read that the more days that go by, the less hungry you feel. So far, no so bad.

2 Days, 14 Hours until surgery!
Old 11-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Alisa, good for your for deciding to have the surgery. Good luck! This sounds like a great decision and I am sure you will be really successful!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Alisa, good for your for deciding to have the surgery. Good luck! This sounds like a great decision and I am sure you will be really successful!
Thank you, Gail! You read so many horror stories about these types of things, so I really hope I'm making the perfect decision for me. I've been researching long and hard, and my surgeon is amazing, on paper and off. So, we'll see!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Day 2 of my 3-day clear liquid pre-op diet. Not so bad. Thank goodness for all of that homemade broth! I haven't felt truly hungry yet. It's weird; when I fall off the low carb wagon and eat carby things, oh the burning, constant hunger! But this isn't anything like that. Actually, I feel pretty good. Which is also why I'm staying away from artificial crap. I know a lot of the whey shake stuff will be, right after surgery, but that's going to have to be a nessecary evil for a while. Just need to keep reminding myself it's only temporary, and I can switch to organic whey and real foods soon enough. Can't now because all of the organic whey has added milk products. The nutritionist said that lactose right after surgery would not be pleasant.

I wound up dumping out my coffee yesterday. That's a first! Coffee and bacon... they are two very important things to me! But I was sipping it, and it just wasn't sitting right. I've been feeling more 'meh' about coffee lately and really slowed down on the amount I drink. Maybe it won't be so hard to give up regular coffee after surgery for a while, after all.

The next time I'm writing, I'll be a post-op! Woot!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #178

Alisa I am thinking of you glad to got to have some yummy foods last week but it sounds like your fast is going well with the broth, that broth is filling like you dont feel hungry! Isnt it crazy you eat a 400 calorie bagel and you are starving in an hour but a protein shake or bone broth is 100 calories and you stay full for hours, goes to show how important it is!

Well good luck hun, I will be praying and waiting to hear from you!!!!

Amber
Old 11-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

I'm in my hospital room =) Progress is happening fast! Not to say it wasn't/isn't painful in a gas and tender outside of body. Inside is doing quite well! Eating jello and drinking canned broth like a champ from the get go! Keeping the blood pressure down has been a challenge though. Overall, it's going better than imagined.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Actually, the jello was too heavy and a horrible idea! Rough night, last night!! Oh boy was i regretting surgery. Lesson learned: Don't listen to nurses when they try to push food/drink on you! I am back to feeling good again, thank god! Day two. Walked a mile of halls, so far this morning. Walking feels good when nothing else does! Still no air working its way out the other end. That needs to happen. The rolling gases trapped in the body are no fun and happens at the worst times.