Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
I'm taking back control...Its my time!

Hi all,
I know I have said over the last coupla of weeks that I would be starting a thread, well here it is. I just want to share a few things with you all, and I hope that you can all continue to guide and support me the way you have been doing over the last while.
I have been lingering on this site since last year and am only now starting the Low Carb way of life. Last year brought with it a lot of trials and they got the better of me....
I have decided that no longer will I be a puppet of bad eating, poor exercise and no accountability. I need to take back control of the one thing I can - my body! I started properly today, the 1st of the month and a Sunday - what better time?
Before I go on about me, I just want to say a massive Thank you to all those that have been so kind and supported me, listened to me and helped me. Without you all I would have crumbled after my last visit to the hospital. I will never be able to repay what you all have done for me, so I hope I can do you proud and get on with it and be a success just like you!

My WOE and WOL is Atkins - the vegetarian way - it can be done. Lots of people on this site have done it. I have just bought a copy of DANDR and am reading through it. I have read Rose Elliots The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet (based on DANDR), and taken lots from it. I think reading DANDR is important, regardless of how you follow the LC woe - its so insightful and informative...

My exercise plan (which I started properly today too) is the C25K prog, 3 x a week, and Callanetics (starting beginners prog and after 2 weeks starting Callanetics 10 in 10) at least 3 x a week. If I can do more, I will. I find myself getting quite addicted to exercise, I'm really enjoying it.

Anyway thank you for visiting and please pop in to give me a friendy nudge when you think I need it...(or a butt kicking!!)

Thanks again xoxo

I'm taking back control...Its my time!

lbs to go....

WATP 26/11/2012
Glamour P! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bekki1
Stats: 172.1/156.2/150
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 4/9/12
bekki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Hey Glamour! Just stopping by to cheer you on!
You're definitely on your way NOW!!

XO,
HB
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Hey Bekki! Thanks for the lovely welcome
HB - always a pleasure

Week 1 day 1 of C25K completed - can not wait for tomorrow!

Last edited by Glamour P!; 02-02-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Old 02-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Hi all, just wanted to share a little more about me and the reason I want to start LCing...I'm hoping that you wise people out there can help me along this journey, cos I have a scary time ahead of me. I'm going to start right at the beginning, so forgive me if it drags, but I will try to be as brief as poss, for those who already know all of this I'm sorry!..

I got married in Nov 07, 9 days after an emergency operation to remove and drain several cysts on my right ovary. The pain that I was in pre op didn't go as was hoped by myself and my doctors post op. I have been in pain ever since and there has been no let up, in fact over time it has been getting worse. I have had numerous scans and ultrasounds, I was repeatedly told the problem may not be gynae related. Last year I was told that as different forms of cancer run through our family that I should be checked for cervical cancer as my mum had it years ago, and my results were negative. Then I was told it could be Bowel or Ovarian cancer and results for those came back negative. After several other tests and investigations, last November I was found to have a problem with my womb and right ovary was told a hysterectomy was my only likely option. I was devastated as I am only 27, newly married and we would love to have a family of our own someday. So we went for a second (or in our case what felt like millionth) opinion. On Monday the 12 th of Jan I was told I have endometriosis, and it has spread from ovary to womb, quite severly, and I also have some inflammatory problem with both organs. I am now due to have another op to remove the endometriosis, and not a hysterectomy as first option. But we don't know how things are going to pan out in theatre. My surgeon has told me that he will do whatever he can to save both organs, and a hysterectomy will be the VERY last resort. He repeatedly told me he would take my circumstances in to account before making any sort of decision when I am in surgery and that I should remain positive, and my age was on my side. I did feel quite relieved and reassured. But I have to be fully aware that he can not catergorically state one way or the other. I'm so scared and so sad. He said my left ovary was healthy and functioning. He said that my most likely course would be removal of the endometriosis, and then I would be treated with induced menopause for at least 6 months, to stop my cycle in order to send the condition in to remission, as it can not be cured. I am often philosophical about it - if it is worst case scenario, then so be it. There are so many children out there that need parents, families. If I was blessed with a child via adoption, if no other way then I will grab that opportunity with both hands. Its just hard sometimes, the not knowing. But I have a fantastic husband and family and know that whatever happens I am already so blessed.
Also last year on Nov 1st my grandad died very suddenly and the week before mum had a heart attack - she'd actually gone in 2 months before that and was told she was having a panic attack. It turns out she may have had a mild heart attack then too as her blood is too thick to pass thru her heart.

I'm sure you understand that eating well hasn't been easy and has been pretty non existant. Especially since I am still trying to get used to the Vegetarian Low carb way. But I kinda couldn't get motivated to exercise. Before I got married I had reached my goal thru sheer hard work and determination by eating well and gymming. At that time I was sooooo motivated. I couldn't function without exercise you know? But since I fell ill I have gained most if not all that weight back. I am in a lot of pain, a lot of the time and find it difficult to move, and on days when I'm ok, I would figure whats the point you know? I just had no motivation whatsoever!! But now that I know I have to have another op in the next 12 weeks I wanna get healthy again to make recovery easier and quicker. Believe it or not I still couldn't get my backside moving but Thanks to certain members on these boards I have started to exercise more in the last few weeks, walking everyday for at least an hour, and as you know I started C25K and Callanetics - early days i know, but this time I am doing it properly - I have my "mojo" back LoL!
I kinda have the exercise thing going, and now have the LC thing going too, though am still reading DANDR! Its taking a little getting used to eating this way, not my usual tea and toast, and honestly I am missing my fruit, haven't had any since Jan, but I figure that once I get thru induction I can have a little bite every now and again. Not thinking of stumbling, just thinking about ways not to fall or fail. As long as I eat clean and exercise well, I'll do well - I hope
I have a real bad sugar addiction and am trying to get it in control, its hard! But I have had a lot of good advice from so many people here that its not as hard as it has been or could still be. Egg creams are an absolute revelation as is Coconut oil! They are so great! I've also actually taken to dropping a couple of drops of stevia concentrate on my tongue (the first few seconds of the taste are not very nice honestly) but after a second of two the sweetness just spreads...It does the trick. I also chew sugarfree spearmint gum, sweetened with Xylitol every now and again. We don't seem to have the same range of products here in the UK as in the States. But there is always overseas shipping...sometimes..
Anyway that is all from me about me - sorry for yapping but I needed to let you know what was going on so that you can all throw motivation at me when I feel poopey, and understand why it has taken me so long to get my act together!
Before I go, I just wanted to say a massive Thanks to the girls at the UK/Europe thread. You have all been amazing. These last few weeks have felt like I have been with friends and you have given me sooo much advice and support. HB and T - luv ya both, my mentors LoL! And Skeets for all her advice on Egg creams. In fact everyone I have ever bugged on these boards! Thanks for making me feel welcome and empowered!
Am off to bed now - a lil tired! (It's just gone 2.30 a.m. now, I had to edit some MAJOR typos LOL!)

Good night all x

Last edited by Glamour P!; 02-02-2009 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Typos - egg creams - not creems, empowered not empoowerd etc
Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

We are all here for you. Support is what makes this journey a bit easier when we feel like we are ready to quit and can no longer take another step. Hang in there, we are a post away.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Bekki, that msg just said it all. I honestly wish I had've found this site so long ago. The amount of heartache that could've been saved is immense.
Went out on C25K again tonight and loved it! So addictive...
I haven't moved much on the scales, however, I feel "thinner" and amazingly people are coming up to me and asking if I have been losing weight. DH thinks my jawline has reappeared in a matter of days and my butt is looking good! So its all good eh! I really just hope it continues. I was thinking of starting a weight loss chart on this, but don't know if I should until the scale starts to budge?! I just can't figure how I feel slimmer and look slimmer, but the scales aren't reflective of that... I may have to ask around...
Off to bed now its another late one. Have a docs appt tomorrow and am very apprehensive about it. Trying not to worry but can't help it.
Na Nite x
Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Ok so yesterday I was sent to the hospital by my doc and was told that there may be an increase in inflammation and cysts may have become twisted, but nothing can be confirmed until surgery, which is being brought forward. Now I told my doc that I am LC-ing and she was very anti, on the other hand however my gynae doc told me that LC will be beneficial, and has been known to be very beneficial to people with PCOS, which is a condition I was diagnosed with years ago. Now he told me that it would probably not work for me at the moment as he was increasing my my pain and anti-inflammatory meds and they would more than likely cause weight gain! I was gutted. He told me that my body was going through enough as it was and that I should steer cleer of drastic changes to diet for now. I have decided to continue with LCing as I believe it can only do me good. I am getting there, slowly and its hard, after the op its only gonna get harder so I want to keep on with this especially since.............
.............................I am down 5lbs!! I got on the scales this morning and I am down 5. I couldn't believe it. There has been no movement for over a week and then all of a sudden this morning I am down 5. I keep hopping back on to check. I'm so happy!
Week 1 day 3 of C25K is maybe doubtful cos of the snow - but I will be sure to try - maybe go out later when the roads are quiet and run on the road....
G xoxo
Old 02-12-2009, 06:00 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I haven't been around for a while - have a horrible bug and can not stop being sick with a temperature and now hubby has it too! I will be back and posting - for my own sake asap.
Just checking in.
Me x
Old 02-12-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: texasrenee
Stats: 154/150.2/135 (5'8")
WOE: WOE=Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2011
GET WELL SOON!! Stay away from your husband--he will only depress you.. Men are such babies when they are sick.
texasrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Hey Texasrenee, thanks for the message. Hubby aint too bad actually, he was back at work straightaway. He still isn't a 100% but he's out and about bless him.

Er....I had an idea, not sure if its the best thing to do...but am thinking about it...
I am thinking of picture journalling. I was thinking that I could put pics of myself up on my journal to show my progress. Maybe that will keep me motivated too....Hmm not sure, but thinking about it all the same. I think it may be a good idea for me...
Hmm....
Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

No sickness so far today so good! Although I did just have a bowl of rice krispies - not the wisest of things to eat I know - but I really fancied it Am having to restart induction tomorrow as well as C25K - at this rate I'll not be off induction.
My cousin and best friend are getting married in the summer so I have to reach goal by then! I have to! I WILL!!
Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Happy day after Valentines. I hope you are feeling better.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Hi Bekki, how are you? I'm feeling a lot better thanks - altho TOM is here for the second time in 3 weeks! I can't wait for this surgery to be over so that I can start being normal again. I restart all again tomorrow. Am planning on egg creams for maybe breakfast and lunch, then maybe something small at dinner -ease myself in to eating again without the need to be sick. Can't wait to do C25K again and Callanetics! Oh I am so gonna kick a$$ this year! I was saying on another thread that I wana be able to wear a certain type of Indian outfit at the weddings! And I will do it! I WILL!! I CAN!
G x
Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skeeterbug
Stats: 26 wk w baby girl :)
Start Date: 8/28/2008
To my wonderful friend! I am subscribing to your journal to follow you along your journey even thou are paths cross on the other threads and facebook....
I am here if you ever need to "talk"
You are an insporation!
Shan
skeeterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Why Thank you Shan!
I'm hardly an inspiration though - for inspiration you just gotta spot some people on this thread. I will get there, with the help of everyone I have met and continue to meet on these boards.
Did C25K (W1D1) again today. Struggled a little, but not as much as yesterday. I still plan on doing it everyday this week, till I build up my strength again.
Am sooo looking forward to my egg cream tomorrow - haven't had them in a while...seems like forever ago!

G x

ETA - Shan, am here if ever you need too!!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I have been feeling so rotten I have not really moved my booty, I have been walking the floor an hour a day though at work in the call center so I have made some progress lol
Think I need to wear my pedometer tomorrow and start counting steps
Shan
Old 02-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

OOH!!!!
Was at docs yesterday. I have a UTI and that is why I have been in so much more pain. Its causing me so much grief! I just wanna get this op out of the way and move to being normal again. Doc thinks I may benefit from going back on to anti-depressants. I don't wanna go back down that route again.
I have no strength so am gonna continue wk1 of C25K next week too. I'm trying so hard not to let this defeat me - its so damn hard. I could cry! Foodwise I'm not eating an awful lot so thats not helping at all.

Last edited by Glamour P!; 02-19-2009 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: stoooopid typos!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I can't believe what I am about to post - I have a chest infection too! But I refuse to be beaten! I read a post here ealier - will find the link and post it and it was just what I think we need to hear every now and again if not everyday!
I boiled a few eggs so that I can make devilled eggs tomorrow. I have read most of DANDR now. I'm gonna keep at it, I shall get there. Even if it is after the op - I can work on being the healthiest I can be until then.
I'll keep checking in...
G x
Old 02-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

The thread we should all read...http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...-get-here.html
Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I only eat deviled eggs when I am angry with LJ (dh) it is my silent or not so silent approach to letting him know that I rule the roost lol
Seriously thou the cooked eggs mess with my throat but the egg creams dont for somereason
Hope u get to feeling better soon hun. we are both sickies lol except I think your Dh is sweeter about it than mine. When I tell him I am not feeling well he ask me when do I ever feel well.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:53 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Skeeter its so weird that you get a funny throat from eating cooked eggs. I tried to steer clear of the egg creams, but couldn't. I think for me especially during induction I need them asI don't eat meat or fish. I lost 8.5lbs so far, but the bloat of meds is kicking in. So I am now not planning on stepping on the scales till after surgery. In the meantime I will keep on eating well, clean and doing my exercise - Callanetics and C25K. Am loving the running, however its taking me a while to get back to doing the full 8 runs in week one. Am still a little weak, but getting stronger everyday.
On the plus side to all - everyone I have met over the past couple of weeks has asked me if I have lost weight, or commented on how much weight I have lost. Oh is such a good feeling.
I have decided to take pics of myself. But I don't think they would be a true reflection of any weight loss because of my current situ. BUT I have taken my before and once I reach goal - the end of April - early June, I shall take another and post.
That'll keep me going!!
No breakfast so far, am just not hungry, but I have had 3 pints of water so far. I wake up really thirsty.
Chris is thinking of buying me a Wii fit, so I can keep active after surgery without too much strain, but am not sure so have asked around. He also started observing Lent yesterday and has given up chocolate and take aways!! Which makes life a touch easier. He said he'll be eating a lot more egg based foods so happy days. He's very supportive and helpful, and not having temptations around the house while I am trying to get thru induction is a real help.
Rambled enough for now...BBL...
Old 02-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Oh the bloat and water retention is killing me! Am eating well, I know it was only to be expected but its hard. I finally get my act together and start getting to where I've been saying I wanna be for the last however many years, and now I have obstacles that are in my way that I can't control. Any suggestions on how to avoid to big a gain? I know I should continue to eat clean, which I shall. I need easy vegetarian ideas too. I am also a little "backed up" again!! Tummy is constantly making funny noises - loud noises. I have to apologise and and say "that was just my tummy - HONEST!! LoL!!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

What do you eat being vegetarian? Just curious. Here is the link to the challenge..
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...exy-o-s-s.html
Old 02-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Hey Bekki - I checked the link out, looks good. Was gonna subscribe, but my surgery could be any day now, so I would have to drop out. But I do have my own wee challenge going...I have until the 27th June to get in my sari (minus the flabby belly) for my cousin's wedding. I also told hubby that I'm not gonna get my hair cut till I lose a stone (14lbs) and then when I reach goal I can have £3-500 to spend on a new wardrobe!! (I'm not working so he's budgeting for it!!)
As a veggie - I'm gonna be honest, I really struggle. But I'm getting there, the plan I follow is by Rose Elliot and is based on Atkins. She allows almonds and some other nuts in Phase 1. I use tofu and TVP. I only stared eating eggs last year so am a complete novice when it comes to using them, but so far I love them in egg creams!! And maybe creamy scrambles. I loved boiled and poached eggs there for a while, but got a little sick of them. Am always looking for ideas that would help vegetarians - get a little stuck sometimes. Am doing induction again this week as my meds are stopping me from losing - and maybe start the next phase next week or maybe mid week this week...I'll see what I think will work best at the time. Any ideas and advice are always much appreciated!
You feeling a little better now?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hotchick818
Stats: 213/203/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 1/5/14 Restart Low carb
Glamour,

Thanks for being so willing to share what's going on in your life with all of us. I wish you the best and am certain that your surgery will make you feel much better. Sounds like you're doing great on your vegan Atkins plan. Keep up the good work and the exercise

Two T.O.M's in 3 weeks?!

-Kia
hotchick818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Hey Kia - thanks for dropping by. I'm doing Atkins the veggie way - not vegan tho hun. I struggle tho sometimes...

So I got my date today, for this Friday. I had to ring and confirm that I could make it and was put thru to my consultant. He told me that he can't and won't operate on me whilst I have a UTI and chest infection. I balled my eyes out on the phone, pleading with them but I got nowhere. It was just out of sheer frustration - I just want it over and done with you know. I just don't know if I have the energy to carry on sometimes. Was out running yesterday and was coughing like mad. A lovely couple actually stopped and asked me if I was ok, told me their car was just up the road and they would give me a lift if I needed. I was only a few houses from ours so I told them I would be ok, but thanks. I just need my strength to come back and my body to stop being so sensitive to everything. The pain in my side stops me from going to bed cos it is soo painful when I lie down. Ach it seems like I'm complaining - I need to start remembering my blessings more often.
I ate some crap today, but I will not let one cheat day turn in to a week, a month and so on. I'll get thru this and move on.
G x
Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
G, remind me again why you've chosen vegetarian Atkins?

That has to be very difficult for you. Sending hugs and comfort your way.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Hey T - you visited me! An honour!!
I'm a vegetarian, always have been - for many a reason, but the main one being religion. I'm from a Sikh family and we don't eat meat, fish or eggs. However I have my own opinion on eggs and decided to start eating them last summer. I do fid it very hard at times I have to say. There seem to be others (vegetarians) that don't seem to find it so tough. Pauline (Ta Da!) has been a huge support. I have actually been thinking that I may a slightly modified way of LCing, just to help me and stop it feel like a struggle. I was actually advised by consultant of LGL dieting, and he recommended Dr R Thompson. I know it may not be weightloss at the speed of Atkins, but it could be just what I need. Any advice?
G x
Old 03-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Sending hugs and comfort your way.
And thanks for this - much needed and appreciated I can tell you