LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
wendys-health-journal

Hi, all! I'm new here. I have done Atkins in the past--basically only the induction phase. I've lost 20-30 pounds a few times, but each time, I take a day off, which leads to months, which leads to me being at least as heavy as when I started.

THIS TIME:
I started Atkins on October 16, 2008. I have had a couple of days off, not a good thing. I'm trying to make this a way of life. I have hypoglycemia, so I need a low-carb diet.

I've been allowing more carbs than I have seen work for myself, based upon a different forum where people frequently shout "Where are your vegetables?" I am planning to switch to the 1972 version of the diet.

I have found that if I consume over 12 carbs, including fiber, then I will not lose. I haven't been counting carbs this time because I basically know what's in the foods that I'm eating, so it's not a lot of carbs. I do know that I'm consuming more than 12, though.

SIZE AND WEIGHT:
I've lost only 5 pounds total, and basically, my body isn't shrinking, either. In fact, most of my meausurements are 1/2 inch bigger than when I started Atkins three weeks ago!

Started at 208, presently at 203, want to be about 135-138 depending upon how I look and feel when I get there.

PLAN:
Take cow's milk products and chicken eggs from my diet. Substitute duck eggs. [Intolerances to cow's milk (casein), goat's milk, and chicken eggs]
Start 1972 diet.
Find a way to fit exercise into our lives.

I'm tired of feeling sick and tired. If I quit eating foods that I know my body doesn't like, I should feel better. If I still don't feel better, we'll kick the dog back outside (allergic to dogs and cats) and limit the cat's time in the house. If that doesn't work, then I'll go see my naturopath to figure out what's going on. I'll probably see him before I get to the kicking the animals out stage, so who knows what we'll figure out.

PHYSICAL PROBLEMS:
*Hypothyroid
*Hypoglycemia
*low vitamin D level (typical for this area)
*previously had a candida problem
*sometimes have low iron
*I get dizzy when consuming carbs
*car accident that hurt my back. Now I'm using a therapeutic hot tub instead of frequent massages and chiropractor visits.

ABOUT POSTING HERE:
Please do! Please feel free to comment all that you want! I like to talk to people, and would love help and advice about my trip to becoming healthy.

Last edited by wcwendy; 11-06-2008 at 09:19 AM..
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Amish Wit

Feeling frustrated this morning about dairy. We just restarted having natural and organic groceries delivered to our house, and we just got some incredibly good dairy products. The heavy cream is so good that I keep thinking about it. I really want some tea or coffee with lots of cream. Why doesn't my body like cow's milk and eggs?

Waa...whine, whine, whine. At least I have food, right?

I have heard some people say that after switching to organic, they no longer have problems with cow's milk. I keep hoping that's the case with me. I suppose that I should talk to my ND about it.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Amish Wit

:blush: Earlier I said that I wasn't counting my carbs because I basically know how many are in what I'm eating. Yes, that's true, BUT um...I forgot to actually add things once in a while to see where I was headed. I just thought, "This only has one" "This has only 3"...that kind of thing, never adding them to each other to see how many carbs I was really eating.

Today I had a big salad for lunch, then I decided to use ******.com. Ha! I had 22.5 grams of carbs from just breakfast and lunch, and most of it was from the salad.

I can't wait for my 1972 book to get here! What have I been thinking by not adding together the carbs from what I've been eating? I KNOW better; I really do.

Now I feel like a goofball. Oh well, I can start a REAL induction tomorrow or when my book comes--whichever I get around to doing, but at least I can for sure say that I haven't been losing weight because I've been eating at least 30 carbs per day, maybe way more on some days.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Amish Wit

Breakfast:
1/3 chicken breast w/ Carolina Treet (The ONLY BBQ sauce, in my book.)
12 slices pepperoni
vitamins and calcium
3 c water

Go, me!

Stomach feels queasy. Possibly from vitamins? Maybe from not drinking water before going in the hot tub. I don't know.

ETA--Carolina Treet has 5 carbs/2 Tbsp. Not on Atkins (it's wheat flour and onion that give it carbs) but I really wanted it. I plan to go on strict '72 induction when I get my book from an ebay purchase. Until then, I'm not so worried about it, but I am planning to significantly cut the carbs.

Bad thing...we're going to a movie tonight. One of my favorite things to eat is movie theater popcorn with extra, extra butter. I hope that I resist! We are planning to go to Red Lobster for their Shrimp Fest (all-you-can-eat shrimp) before the movie, so I should be full!

Last edited by wcwendy; 11-07-2008 at 11:06 AM..
Old 11-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
Amish Wit

LUNCH, DINNER, SNACK:

lots of pepperoni slices
Venti Breve Latte w/ SF chocolate syrup and SF peppermint syrup (took all day to drink it)
Ginger Shrimp (Thai)
a little broccoli
unsweetened tea at the theater
few pieces of Mongolian beef
1/2 landjager

I COMPLETELY avoided the popcorn even though my husband asked me a couple of times if I wanted any! Yay!
I have bad water retention today. Well, actually, I didn't drink much water today because I was busy all morning then ran errands until and after the movie. Didn't make it to Red Lobster, but I did get good Thai food.

Oh, I bought 3 shirts and a sweater tonight! I own almost no clothes that fit.

Last edited by wcwendy; 11-07-2008 at 11:15 PM..
Old 11-08-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
Amish Wit

Also had 1 small slice cheese (forgot that induction is supposed to be HARD cheese. This was cheddar.) and 2 slices summer sausage.

EXERCISE:

My oldest told me this evening that she'd like to start playing racquetball with me at least once/week. That sounds fun! And like GOOD exercise.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:35 AM   #7
Amish Wit

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesgirl View Post
I am not sure if I am using this journal properly. My intention is to add to it daily, if possible, but I don't know if I am posting in the right area. It seems like I am simply continuing a conversation from last time.
It's your journal to use in whatever way helps you. Yes, you're posting in the correct place. Whenever you come to your journal, then post a reply, it will add to the string of posts here, in your journal. Does that make sense?

Which Atkins book are you basically trying to follow?

I'm finding that the newer versions of Atkins allow too many carbs for me to lose weight. When I have kept my carbs at 12 or below per day, I have lost about .5 pounds per day. When I consume more than that, it's almost imperceptible. Each person is different, of course. I'm switching to the 1972 version of Atkins.

If I eat anything not allowed on the Atkins induction diet, then I get really bad cravings, and have an extremely difficult getting back to the diet. It's really frustrating to me. I wonder if your smoothies have contributed to cravings?

Just my thoughts, and wonderings. I hope that I don't sound like I'm telling you what to do because I don't have all the answers.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Amish Wit

No, I haven't been having milk. I'm using heavy cream, and half and half in store-bought (Starbucks and the like) coffees. Thanks, though!

How are you doing?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
Amish Wit

It's funny how our weight is different at different times of the day. I weighed myself at 3:30 a.m. and the scale said 204. At 10:00 a.m. I weighed 202.5. I usually weigh myself around 5 a.m., so today's weighing was basically just for fun.

Another day of running errands. I'm tired.

TODAY'S FOOD:
pepperoni slices
water
mall food court blackened chicken and pepper chicken, w/ cabbage
unsweetened iced tea
1/2 landjager
Going to go eat some more landjager and pepperoni

Exciting thing:
Last night, I got to the point where I can't eat much! Yay!

SHOPPING:
I'm tired! I don't understand why so many women love to go shopping! I only get the urge a few times a year, and that's almost never for clothes; it's usually for food or home improvement supplies! I hate wandering around, seeing that everything costs more than I want to pay, and/or is the wrong size.

Oo, I did find a gorgeous black skirt at Nordstrom that looked good on me on sale for $58. I have no reason to wear it, nothing to wear with it, and I'm hoping that the plus section clothes won't fit me by the beginning of the new year, so I didn't buy it. If I weren't actively dieting, though, I would've snatched it up! It is so difficult to find nice-looking clothes that look good on me!
Old 11-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #10
Amish Wit

MORE FOOD:
*1/2 landjager (Now they're all gone!)
*3 Tbsp. cream cheese/chili mix w/o beans (We were at our marriage/home group and this is all that I ate. I stayed away from the Cinnabon rolls! )
*chocolate mint tea w/ heavy cream (That was the last of that tea, and it looks like Republic of Tea no longer makes it. Well, I'm switching to organic, anyway, and that tea wasn't.)
*a little decaf coffee w/ half and half--about 1/4-1/2 cup total

That's all. Going to sleep now.

I felt pretty good today! Although, I noticed a slight sore throat on the way home. I hadn't been in public for awhile, and on Thursday I noticed that nobody at home had been sick. I've spent the past 2 entire days at malls and stores, and the day before we went to the chiropractor. I've GOT to find out how to not get sick so often! When I get a cold, which is almost 100% of the time that one of our kids gets one, I am sick for 4-8 weeks, unless I take a lot of echinacea and other herbs. Well, and even then, it's still 4 weeks or more, typically.

Last edited by wcwendy; 11-08-2008 at 10:54 PM..
Old 11-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #11
Amish Wit

Hi, Sue! Yes, please call me Wendy. Sorry for not stating that.

I don't yet have my book. It should be here this week. I believe that the '72 version is the book that I originally owned, but it has been long gone.

I don't use any sweeteners. I try to stay away from sweet flavors to help me not think about desserts. My husband uses Splenda. We own some Stevia, but it rarely gets used.

I read a little bit about cyclamates, and it is sold under the name Sucaryl in New Zealand. You can order it from shopnewzealand.co.nz Shipping on the 500 tablet bottle to Canada is about US$4.50. That sounds pretty reasonable to me, as I thought that it might be something crazy like $20!

I think that I'm not getting a cold. I don't know why I was having a sore throat.

I'm getting frustrated with my weight loss because it is completely nonexistent! I am actually a pound heavier than I was a week ago. I know that the food that I ate on Saturday while at the mall had sugar in it, but other than that I'm not sure what's going on. Hmm...I have been eating eggs for breakfast, and have had a lot of heavy cream. Maybe I really won't lose well while eating things to which I'm intolerant. I need to get to the store that sells duck eggs, and make myself stay away from the cream and cheese! I also had a lot of vegetable with dinner last night. I had forgotten about that.

I should go plan a menu, I suppose. Maybe that would help.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #12
Amish Wit

I just made a decision.

I have the 1992 "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution" book. I was just reading some of the section on metabolic resistance. Here's what I'm going to do:
Today (excluding breakfast since I already had 3 eggs), tomorrow and Wednesday, I'm going to eat nothing but meat. Then I'll see if anything is happening.

Oh! If I get to the natural foods store, I'll be able to eat duck eggs, too! I could make myself Eggs Benedict, without the English muffin, of course! That's my favorite breakfast food! Hmm...I wonder if I can make it without butter, just to ensure that I am completely avoiding food intolerances. Eh, maybe I'll save that for some other time, after I've eliminated milk for awhile.

I love vegetables, so we'll see how I can do. The real problem for me is avoiding dairy. I love the creaminess.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
Amish Wit

So far, so good

I've had about 5 cups of water and some pepperoni since breakfast. I resisted the creamy coffee on the counter. I resisted the cute little glass bottle of cream in the frig. Go me!

I found my results of my IgG and IgE blood test (tests for allergies and intolerances) and I have only a very small reaction to goat's milk, so I ordered some goat's milk butter. I've never seen that before. I hope that it's not really strong. If it tastes OK, then I can use it for Eggs Benedict! And on my steak. Of course, there's always the possibility that a small reaction on paper isn't so small in real life, but I've had goat's cheese and don't remember a problem. Maybe possibly because I rarely eat it.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Amish Wit

ORGANIC AND NATURAL FOOD DELIVERY

We recently restarted having organic and natural foods delivered to us. I really like the company that we're using. They deliver to the greater areas of:

British Columbia
Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
L.A.

The company is spud.com (Small Potatoes Urban Delivery).

Good customer service. Oh, I have a discount coupon. If anyone's interested let me know, and I'll find the code for you.

I like shopping online. There are no crowds. I can "buy" a few things at a time, then come back and "buy" more because it's all delivered once/week.

I can't wait for my bacon to arrive! Yum. I ordered organic lunch meats for my hubby since he likes lunch meat.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #15
Amish Wit

One day down

Today's food
eggs w/ pepperoni
pepperoni slices
buffalo/beef summer sausage
steak w/ Costco's steak seasoning
hot and spicy pork rinds

multi-vitamins
calcium

18 cups water

Tasted the egg nog for the kids who thought that it was spoiled (I didn't drink it.). Had a small cube of avocado for the kid who thought that it wasn't right.

Last edited by wcwendy; 11-10-2008 at 10:10 PM..
Old 11-11-2008, 06:11 AM   #16
Amish Wit

I wonder if, by being a gourmet-type cook, I've led my children to be picky about the flavors of their foods, or are kids just that way? I had to taste two things yesterday for the kids--neither of which were bad at all. The avocado wasn't as flavorful as they sometimes are, and the egg nog tasted fine, it just smelled a little different. This is a common occurance. Well, I didn't HAVE to taste them, I just did it to help the kids feel confident that they weren't going to throw up from the food.

Yesterday was my first official day on '72 Atkins, phase 1. I got the book from the library since my copy still isn't here from ebay. I read a few chapters last night, and that might be all that I read. I don't know.

I found some ketostix, and there was some color change on them! I've always tested in the "trace" category, sometimes in the next step, only ONCE in the 2nd to last group, but at least it's there! I finally had icky breath (not that I want it, but it's a good indicator), and didn't want anything to eat late at night. Well, not until I imagined that I smelled a cucumber with cream cheese and shrimp, or something like that.

WEIGHT!

Down 2 pounds from yesterday, which is only 1 pound lower than I had been, because I had gone up a pound. I'm assuming that at least 1 pound was water retention.

I'm trying to not get too excited about this, because it was only one day on the new diet (which is really the old diet ). I don't want to jump the gun on the excitement, then be disappointed tomorrow morning.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #17
Amish Wit

Sue, thanks for the encouraging words! I hope that you enjoy your Sucaryl.

Jen, and thanks!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #18
Amish Wit

Yesterday's food:
pepperoni slices
1.5 bags of pork rinds (the kind that you pop in the microwave)
some buffalo-beef salami
steak--cooked in the pressure cooker in Worcestershire and a little unsweetened BBQ sauce w/ veggies for the kids
17 cups water
vitamins

Today's Weight:
same as yesterday. Wah.

Today's food:
pepperoni slices
few slices of buffalo-beef salami--then it fell on the floor and became dog food
summer sausage
only about 11 cups of water
ground beef w/ coconut oil, cilantro, cumin, chilis, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper

Tired and bummed out:
I have been very tired. I didn't get up Monday and today when my alarm went off. Yesterday, I went back to bed and got up late. I took a nap this afternoon. I've been basically sitting around wishing that I had some gumption to do something. It's wearing on my mood. I was starting to feel depressed this afternoon--I haven't been getting up with my husband, I haven't been getting any housework done, I haven't been doing the schoolwork with my kids that I want to do, I haven't been able to get to the store to buy eggs... I was not at all happy with myself today.

I bought some potassium tonight. I read that it might help get rid of fatigue and weak-feeling muscles (My legs felt wobbly on the way to the store). It might also help my mood. Wouldn't that be great?!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #19
Amish Wit

My doctor has been telling me for years that I need to exercise. Now it seems that my diet is, too.

STATS:

weight--202.5 (1/2 lb more than yesterday and the day before) All that I did differently is eat and drink less. I still had 11 cups of water. Isn't that enough water?

Down 5.5 lbs total. That's about 1 lb/week. Couldn't I do that on ANY diet? Sure, I'm not hungry on this diet, and I feel kind of good (except for being extremely tired, and a few other ickinesses), but I'm getting bored with just meat and water.

measurements--I've been on Atkins for 5 weeks (with cheating once each of the first 2 weeks). I've lost less than one inch from my rib cage, my waist and hips are the same, and my thighs are less than 1/2 inch smaller.

YES, that's smaller, and I'm happy to see it, for sure! But I'm getting frustrated to have it happen so slowly. If I had only 10-15 pounds to lose, then it wouldn't be a big deal, but with needing to lose 70 lbs, this could take a year and a half. I know, I know, the time will pass anyway, I might as well be losing weight, but I don't want to lose this slowly. This seems ridiculous.

Exercise:
I guess that next week, I'll sign up at the gym and talk to them about a personal program. I NEED to find a way to incorporate exercise into our lives, and I'd like it to not be by going to the gym. I guess it's not going to happen, so I'll just have to do it artificially. That's how I feel about going to the Y to exercise--like I can't get myself to do something REAL with my life, so I'm paying and driving to go somewhere to use my muscles that could be doing something.

Maybe somebody needs help building a bridge.

Rambling about our society changes:
You know, so much of our American life is dumb, and this just seems to be one HUGELY silly thing. Can you imagine what people in 3rd world countries must think of going to a gym to exercise?! Do they wonder why we don't just start doing things for ourselves instead of polluting the world and buying things?

Remember when people used to make their own clothes? Remember when people used to make their own yarn to make their own clothes? Yes, they did nothing but work, they were cold and tired, and died young. I know it wasn't a better life. Yet, they did exercise and get a sense of accomplishment and pride that we don't have now.

Maybe I should get off my rear and do something so that I have a sense of accomplishment and some pride.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #20
Amish Wit

I think that the potassium is helping. I stayed awake all day today! I didn't get up until 6:40, instead of 4:45, but I got only about 7 hours of sleep, and I woke twice during the night. I need to stop drinking water at bedtime!

TODAY'S FOOD:

breakfast--6 thin slices bacon
lunch--1 thin slice bacon
dinner--2 1 carb hot dogs (small) w/ Tabasco
2 duck eggs mixed w/ almond extract, vanilla, and cinnamon, cooked in 1 Tbsp goat butter

1st--That is hardly any food! I've had a slight feeling in my stomach all day that my mind says is hunger, yet I don't want to eat anything. When I ate the eggs, I could hardly finish them.

2nd--I drank only 11 cups of water again. Actually, I guess that's fine, but I WANT to drink at least 16. I don't know why, and it probably doesn't matter one way or the other. I'm probably just being silly.

DUCK eggs with GOAT BUTTER?!?

This is what I would've thought of that idea several years ago: It's funny how our ideas can change, isn't it?

I was trying to make a fake non-sweet French Toast type flavor, but I accidentally put almond flavoring in the eggs instead of vanilla. I added vanilla anyway, and it tasted a lot like one of my favorite desserts--Danish Puff Pastry. Yum!

WEIGHT:
This morning, I weighed 202.5, even though I weighed 201 or 201.5 (It was too dark to see. ) during the middle of the night. This evening, after going in the hot tub, I weighed 201.5.

I know...stay off the scale. It's too intriguing, though.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:21 AM   #21
Amish Wit

200 lbs this morning!!

It's really going to happen! I'm really going to see a 1 in front of my weight! It's been a while.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
Yippee, hurrah for you wendy!!!!!

Oh, you must be so excited to be doing so well. I can just feel your emotion!

Sue.
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #23
Amish Wit

I did it!

I was out of town for 3 days, THREE, and I stuck to my diet of meat and water!!!

We ate at two of the best restaurants to which I've ever been, and I DIDN'T even eat the delicious, gourmet vegetables. I am a gourmet-food lover, so it was incredible to me that I did it! Amazingly, I it wasn't even difficult. Cravings are gone and will-power is super-hero strength. I have never known that I COULD look at food I love and not even want it because I wasn't supposed to have it. What an incredible feeling!

TODAY'S WEIGHT:

RESULTS OF ONE WEEK ON PROTEIN DIET:
Weight--down 5.5 lbs
Body size--approximately one-half inch off rib cage, stomach, hips, and thighs
Health--I feel a lot better. Taking potassium to counteract fatigue. Emotionally good.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Maybe I should check this out! You are doing wonderfully!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #25
Amish Wit

How are you doing?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #26
Amish Wit

Hi, Sue! It has been really nice to eat yummy food and not to crave other things. OTOH, I have been really bored with food a few times. I think that's good for me, though, since I am so interested in food. Maybe this will help me to not crave such variety and gourmetness. I'm sure that's not a word, but it sounded good in that sentence.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Oh Wendy, you are funny. Your weight loss is so exciting and I am happy for you. I'm struggling as I try to figure out what will be the best weight loss method for me. I am leaning toward the Beverly Hills Diet this week - no it isn't lowcarb. But I want my weight down 7 lbs by next Monday a.m. I hope that is possible. Then I will be back at the gym next week! And fruit cleans me out beautifully and hurries up the weight loss. I don't even know if I can write about this kind of food here since it isn't low carb. I want to figure out how to do this but this week I just want to lose and lose fast. I can't bear to be this heavy anymore. So far today this is what I've eaten - 1 whole pineapple (blended in the Vitamix). If I have any coffee, it will not be until the last thing I put in my mouth today - tonight. That is following "food combining". I am sorry that you have such a problem with allergies. Hope you're day is going well.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #28
Amish Wit

Sue, I'm glad to seem funny, as I like to bring joy to people's lives.

I have had my doctor (naturopath) and a nutritionist (recommended by my ND) talk to me about what I should eat, so I know that Atkins is good for me. I find it comforting to know that doctors whom I trust agree that low-carb is what I need. It helps me to keep going. Actually, I've had four doctors agree, if you count Dr. Atkins , because I had an MD agree that it would be a good diet for me--but he was speaking broadly, as in it's good for basically anybody.

Do you have a doctor whom you feel is competent in the field of nutrition for specific conditions (whatever yours might be) with whom you could talk? I was just thinking that it might help you to decide what to do. Then again, what works for me, mentally, isn't what will work for all.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

My doctor actually said that the "South Beach Diet" is a "heart-healthy diet".
And I have to agree that Atkins or ones like it do indeed work - but I am getting impatient and want some of the weight off faster. Probably this doesn't make sense but I am truly sick and tired of being this heavy and tired at the same time. Even if I can get some of it off - that will give me a huge boost.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #30
Amish Wit

That makes complete sense to me! When I restarted Atkins in October, I was ready to be thin and healthy THEN. I was so mentally tired of having rolls, not having clothes fit well, not being able to buy cute clothes, not being able to shop in any store and find things that look OK, having problems bending over, etc. that I wanted it THAT DAY!

Even though it has been happening slowing, I'm glad that I'm finally doing something about it.