Old 03-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #1231
The doctor is IN

Gallery: Lucy
Stats: startover 170/155/145 5'9"
WOE: Portion control
Start Date: 2004, restart 8-2-13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcwendy View Post

I don't know why, but my weight almost always goes down .5 lb from a shower. Of course, it doesn't help from day to day, just w/ the morning weigh-in weight.
Any loss is a good one!
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #1232
The doctor is IN

Oh my gosh Wendy I literally felt sick at my stomach reading that list of thyroid symptoms on that site you posted. I have like most of them down to the cold butt, NOT kidding. DH comments on that all the time. Wow, this could be my whole problem!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #1233
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by landis View Post
Any loss is a good one!

Quote:
Oh my gosh Wendy I literally felt sick at my stomach reading that list of thyroid symptoms on that site you posted. I have like most of them down to the cold butt, NOT kidding. DH comments on that all the time. Wow, this could be my whole problem!!!
I have a ton of them, too, including the cold derrière. :blush: Wouldn't that be nice to have so many problems fixed?!? I need to make an appt w/ my ND about this, but I am really stressed about appearing to know more than he does or better than he does, and what if I'm right and he doesn't believe me? Then I'll have to find another doctor, and I love my doctor! I should give him the benefit of the doubt--I KNOW that he cares! I'm just concerned about how I'll come across. Need to pray about that.

Did you see the link about how to find a good (knowledgeable) doctor?

Gluten, dairy, & chicken egg free
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #1234
The doctor is IN

Quote:

I have a ton of them, too, including the cold derrière. :blush: Wouldn't that be nice to have so many problems fixed?!? I need to make an appt w/ my ND about this, but I am really stressed about appearing to know more than he does or better than he does, and what if I'm right and he doesn't believe me? Then I'll have to find another doctor, and I love my doctor! I should give him the benefit of the doubt--I KNOW that he cares! I'm just concerned about how I'll come across. Need to pray about that.

Did you see the link about how to find a good (knowledgeable) doctor?
I know what you mean Wendy truly I do! Yes I did see that, read all of it. There are several pharmacies that do the kind of mixing that it talked about in Knoxville and even one close to me in Maryville. It said that is a great thing to do, talk to the pharmacist and see what doctors use them. BUT then I will have to see if any of them are on our list of insurance providers. Last time there was not ONE naturopath (sp?). I am almost certain this is where my fatigue/sleeping problem is coming from, if not thyroid then adrenal glands, something in all of this is not right. I just have to buckle down this time and chase it down, the doctor, the blood tests, the insurance etc. I dread that. Why is it so HARD?

“Faith is the gaze of a soul upon a saving God.” A.W. Tozer
I need a seatbelt for my wagon

Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #1235
Amish Wit

Quote:
Why is it so HARD?
Because you're not feeling well?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #1236
The doctor is IN

Quote:
Because you're not feeling well?
You have a point!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #1237
Amish Wit

I know how it is! I have a difficult time doing things.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #1238
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Eat Fat to Lose Fat

Diets too low in fat may be responsible for stubborn bulges on bellies, thighs and butts, according to a new study.

Dieters trying slim down by following extremely low-fat diets may be causing the exact opposite results, according to new research from the Washington University in St. Louis. Eating at least small amounts of dietary fats, such as fish oils, might be a better way to kick-start fat-burning, say researchers.

Scientists found that in mice, old fat stuck around when the liver had no new fat to process. The results are further evidence that extreme diets often aren't the ticket to a lean body, and a balanced diet is likely important for more reasons than scientists currently understand.

"Extremes of diet are sometimes unwise, because a balanced diet may be critical for providing certain dietary signals that allow you to respond appropriately to stresses, and one of those stresses is eating too much," said Dr. Clay Semenkovich, a professor of medicine, cell biology and physiology at the University of Washington and co-author of the study.

The research may be one reason why the Atkins diet -- which is low in carbohydrates and high in fat -- seems to work. But Semenkovich said a balanced diet is probably more effective in the long run, because it's easier to maintain for long periods of time. And, like all extreme dieters, Atkins followers could be suppressing other dietary signals important for staying healthy.

The researchers genetically engineered the mice such that they lacked a fat-producing enzyme in the liver. On a zero-fat diet, the mice developed fatty liver disease. Their old fat stores moved to the liver, but their livers could not burn the fat. Therefore, the researchers say in the May issue of the journal Cell Metabolism, the liver needs new fat to regulate fat burning.

"On a normal diet they were OK," Semenkovich said. "We went to a very extreme low-fat diet, and these animals paradoxically accumulated an extremely large amount of fat in their livers."

The liver is nutrition's traffic cop, directing nutrients to be stored or used by the body. Incorrect processing of glucose or lipids by the liver can cause type 2 diabetes and atherosclerosis. People who are obese or insulin-resistant often develop fatty liver disease.

The scientists also tried a second approach to kick-start the fat-burning process in the genetically engineered mice. They gave the mice a drug -- a stronger version of human triglyceride-lowering medications that go by the trade names Lopid and Tricor.

The drug the researchers used, as well as those available on the market now, activate a protein called PPAR-alpha, which extracts energy from carbohydrates and fats. Researchers already knew that fat activates the protein, but the study proved that PPAR-alpha specifically needs new fats to do its job.

Semenkovich and his colleagues were surprised by their results.

"We thought we would alter the levels of fats that circulate in blood," he said. "Instead we found you need to generate new fat to make a signal to burn fat in the liver."

Read More Eat Fat to Lose Fat
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
chewiegand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #1239
The doctor is IN

Has your fatigue gotten any better with your thyroid meds yet Wendy? With the little success that you and Chewie have had, it makes me even MORE NOT wanting to even explore it all.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #1240
Amish Wit

Quote:
Has your fatigue gotten any better with your thyroid meds yet Wendy? With the little success that you and Chewie have had, it makes me even MORE NOT wanting to even explore it all.
NO! Don't say that! I can understand what you're saying, but at the same time you don't want to end up sticking your head in the sand.

IIRC, nonstickpam's mom died from an untreated thyroid condition. Don't ignore it from fear that it will take too long to figure out.

I haven't actually talked w/ my doctor yet, so I don't have new medication.

I am pretty sure that if you find a doctor who understands which tests to do, a person can get optimally treated in 6 months time or so, from what I've read here. That doesn't mean that you're completely blah for 6 months. There should be improvements along the way. I think that you might want to (that's nice Wendy talk for DO IT! ) also get your adrenals tested.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #1241
Amish Wit

Chewie, thanks for the post!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #1242
Amish Wit

TODAY'S WEIGHT

How is everybody doing?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #1243
The doctor is IN

Thanks Wendy. I stink today. I mean I feel yucky and tired as USUAL lately.

Nonstickpam told me that there are NO good thyroid doctors in or around Knoxville. The closest one is in Nashville which is 3 1/2 hours. I did find a rec for an ENT in Bristol which is closer (about 2 hours). I am just so confused. The more I read the more confused I get.

BTW, I took my temp this morning and it was 97.3 and then 97.4 did I mention that? Darned I forgot to get a regular liquid thermometer, gotta get on on the way home.

Last edited by Lucy; 03-26-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #1244
The doctor is IN

I REALLY am sorry for being so negative. I wouldn't blame you if you stopped reading me.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #1245
Amish Wit

Quote:
I REALLY am sorry for being so negative. I wouldn't blame you if you stopped reading me.
OOoohh, bro---ther!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #1246
Amish Wit

Quote:
The more I read the more confused I get.
Share? I want to know what you're confused about because maybe I don't know enough to be super confused!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #1247

Quote:
TODAY'S WEIGHT

How is everybody doing?
I've almost lost back to my low at 15 lbs--.4 pound away. Woohoo!! So that means tomorrow should be a new low.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #1248

Quote:
Don't be silly, that's what we're here for remember we're your friends and this is a SUPPORT COLUMN. I mean it. We'll help anyway we can.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #1249
The doctor is IN

Okay then:

1. If there are no doctors that are naturopaths in the whole state of Tennessee then where the heck do I go?

2. I keep seeing all the tests I am supposed to have done, so if I get them all done and then get Pam to look at the report like she did last time and she says again that they don't look good what then? Do I just tell the doctor to give me something?

3. If the new armour is no good then what do I ask for?

4. How in the heck do I get my insurance to pay for all this? Where do I even START?

5. It could be a billion things making me lethargic right? What if I am just that way?

6. I don't have the money to try all these different things!

How's that for a start?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #1250

Quote:
Thanks Wendy. I stink today. I mean I feel yucky and tired as USUAL lately.

Nonstickpam told me that there are NO good thyroid doctors in or around Knoxville. The closest one is in Nashville which is 3 1/2 hours. I did find a rec for an ENT in Bristol which is closer (about 2 hours). I am just so confused. The more I read the more confused I get.

BTW, I took my temp this morning and it was 97.3 and then 97.4 did I mention that? Darned I forgot to get a regular liquid thermometer, gotta get on on the way home.
I'm going to do that adrenal test tomorrow so the results can get to my dr before my May appt. I'm very discouraged about my fatigue also. I think alot of it has to do with my hormones and the extra weight. I feel once I lose some more and start moving with the spring weather/sunshine, I will start to get more energy.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #1251
The doctor is IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Don't be silly, that's what we're here for remember we're your friends and this is a SUPPORT COLUMN. I mean it. We'll help anyway we can.
Thanks both of you.. I am just feeling down today. Every time the medicine wears off, my headache comes back and DH is in a bad mood too.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #1252
The doctor is IN

Quote:
I'm going to do that adrenal test tomorrow so the results can get to my dr before my May appt. I'm very discouraged about my fatigue also. I think alot of it has to do with my hormones and the extra weight. I feel once I lose some more and start moving with the spring weather/sunshine, I will start to get more energy.
That's what I was hoping. I don't see how you do all you do. I come home, I nap, I sit and I go to bed. Get up, go to work, MAKE myself do something once in a while.

How do you "do" the adrenal test?
Old 03-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #1253
Amish Wit

Quote:
I've almost lost back to my low at 15 lbs--.4 pound away. Woohoo!! So that means tomorrow should be a new low.
Yay!
Quote:
Yeah!
Quote:
Okay then:

1. If there are no doctors that are naturopaths in the whole state of Tennessee then where the heck do I go?

Does your ins. cover alternative care? (Naturopaths and homeopaths) If so, they should have a list (maybe even online) of covered providers. Can you find one in a neighboring state? OR go to your regular doctor. *see next question*

2. I keep seeing all the tests I am supposed to have done, so if I get them all done and then get Pam to look at the report like she did last time and she says again that they don't look good what then? Do I just tell the doctor to give me something?

Yes. Nicely at first, but emphatically. I say, nicely don't leave the office until you get what you need. If he/she really won't give you what you need, ask for a doctor who thinks more like you do. You will have to be bold, from what I've heard, but your doctor really might know somebody who thinks a little differently--if you need one.

3. If the new armour is no good then what do I ask for?

I take levothyroxine. I'm going to talk to my doctor about adding cytomel. Even though my doctor is an ND, he says that the synthetic versions are just as good as the natural. Since I was more messed up w/ Armour, I gladly switched back to levothyroxine.

4. How in the heck do I get my insurance to pay for all this? Where do I even START?

Ins. SHOULD pay for these tests if ordered by a physician , If your ins. covers a good percentage of the cost of lab tests, then first I would start w/ your regular doctor. If he/she won't order the suggested tests, then I'd see if the next Dr. will. I think that you can order those tests yourself for not too much money, and if you're going to pay much out of pocket even w/ ins, then you might as well pay first to get the tests that you know that you need and take the results w/ you to the Dr. And/or if the extra trips to the Dr. aren't what you want, then just paying up front and doing the tests first sounds like it might be good for you.

5. It could be a billion things making me lethargic right? What if I am just that way?

No, you aren't just this way. It's not normal to be this tired.

6. I don't have the money to try all these different things!

How's that for a start?
Quote:
Thanks both of you.. I am just feeling down today. Every time the medicine wears off, my headache comes back and DH is in a bad mood too.

Quote:
That's what I was hoping. I don't see how you do all you do. I come home, I nap, I sit and I go to bed. Get up, go to work, MAKE myself do something once in a while.
This is NOT OK!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #1254
Amish Wit

If you order the other tests online, you can order an adrenal test, too. I think that it's a saliva test done throughout the day. I THINK.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #1255
Amish Wit

I thawed ground beef and okra for dinner, but was really hungry, so I made myself a fake wilted lettuce salad--melted bacon grease w/ green onions, added erythritol, salt, pepper and lettuce.

The kids got eggs fried in butter topped w/ salt, pepper, and lots of mozzarella. My niece was very happy about them! My nephew kind of yelled/squealed, "Cheeeeeeee!" I didn't know that he likes cheese so much.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #1256
The doctor is IN

Wendy how can I thank you?

I felt so awful last night I cried half the night. DH and I had a big fight and I left for a few hours, went to talk to a good friend of mine who I have helped at times too, talked it out and came home. DH was still up and he stayed off today. I have got to get something done. All of these moods, fatigue, loss of motivation, cold and hot have GOT to be rooted in something and I don't think ti's just menopause anymore. Nonstickpam wrote me back on the thyroid board about a doctor who prescribes Armour and probably cytomel but now I a THINKING from what you said that I could probably talk to my own doctor and that he would work with me on this. He is VERY open to suggestions I have and not defensive at all, very willing to spend time with me etc. Also I do have an appointment with a new GYN doctor at the first of April. Do you know by any chance if a GYN would deal with any of this at all? I sort of doubt it. Oh and last time I checked our insurance had NO naturopaths or homepaths on our list. That was a few years ago though so I will check again. I don't THINK the doctor Pam suggested was on the list either but I will check again on that one too. Now to find out how to do that!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #1257
Amish Wit

Aww, shucks. That we're here for (on earth, I mean)--to help each other.

Do you know your ins. company's website address? If so, then you can check online to see if a particular doctor is covered. If not, call their phone number, and ask. They'll tell you. You can do this!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #1258
The doctor is IN

Quote:
Aww, shucks. That we're here for (on earth, I mean)--to help each other.

Do you know your ins. company's website address? If so, then you can check online to see if a particular doctor is covered. If not, call their phone number, and ask. They'll tell you. You can do this!
Yes, have been reading the WIT thread and inatic posted a reply on the thread I started about a Knoxville area thyroid doc. Going now to look at my insurance website.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #1259
The doctor is IN

Quote:
Yes, have been reading the WIT thread and inatic posted a reply on the thread I started about a Knoxville area thyroid doc. Going now to look at my insurance website.
Insurance doesn't take that doctor Figures! I think I had looked for her once before. Inatic suggested trying to work with my regular doc to see if that would work..that it wouldn't hurt. Think I may try that.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #1260

Quote:

How do you "do" the adrenal test?
Lucy, I don't do anything either, really--the bare minimum. I used to be a dynamo--a true energizer bunny constantly cleaning and cooking new recipes. Now I'm a slug.

The adrenal test is 4 tubes that you collect saliva in. You can't have any caffeine the day you do it and you fill each tube at specific times like 8 a.m. then 12:00 then 4:00 then 8 pm Then you freeze them and mail them in overnight delivery. To get the needed amount of saliva they suggest chewing sf "extra" gum--it won't spoil the test results and works like a charm. This is my 2nd adrenal test, I had one about a year ago or maybe a little longer.