Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #31
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
Sue, you home schooled your kids, too? Wow!

No, we don't live on a farm. I chose that avatar because it was so cute. It seemed fitting for an avatar on a low carb forum.

I have a friend who gets raw cow's milk. She makes butter and...something...from the cream that she skims off the top. She thinks that I might not have problems from organic, raw milk, and from what I've read a lot of people don't. Maybe, eventually, I'll try it. Right now, I need to get it out of my system. "They" say that it takes a month to completely get milk out of a body.

TODAY'S DIET:
*I did a scary thing tonight: I had a small salad and some cauliflower. Atkins' '72 book said to add the salad back to my diet and see what happens.

*DH and I went for a 20-minute (or so) walk tonight! Woo-hoo, go me!

*Not that I am concerned about calories at all, but I was surprised that I had about 1700 calories today, 360+ calories FEWER than I burned, according to Fit Day. Weird. The only day last week that I entered my foods, I had less than 900 calories all day, and I think that was the norm. How did I get to 1700?!? Maybe it was because I cooked my duck eggs AND Canadian Bacon in bacon grease, then drowned my goat cheese covered chicken breast in goat butter.

Cauliflower recipe:
Steam cauliflower, be sure to cut it into fairly small pieces, but it can really be any size that you want.
Beat egg(s), salt and pepper, and lots of cumin. Unless you're used to cooking authentic South American foods, add more cumin than you're comfortable using. (Maybe 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. per egg?) Add cut cauliflower. Stir to coat.
In heated skillet, add butter or oil of choice. When hot, add a single layer of cauliflower. Cook until egg is done.

Gluten, dairy, & chicken egg free
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 AM   #32
Amish Wit

Sue, I had meant to thank you for being sympathetic about my food allergies. It was nice of you to think to mention it.

The next time that I make that cauliflower, I'll try to remember to measure what I do.

TODAY'S WEIGHT:
Old 11-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #33
Amish Wit

TODAY'S WEIGHT:

I had some really yummy chicken last night.

Pureed lots of garlic and ginger, with some onion, in a lot of coconut oil. Added a little chili oil. Put into a hot wok. When slightly cooked, I added chunks of chicken. I was going to add green curry paste, but added Panang curry paste instead and coconut cream/milk, and salt. It was SOOOOO good!

Also had rainbow swiss chard boiled with bacon, garlic, onion, a dried chili, salt and pepper. It was good, but I think that I would've liked it more with vinegar added.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:57 PM   #34
Amish Wit

Thank you, thank you!

Mmm...chicken stir-fry. Yummy!

I'm so sorry about the pain that you were having. I'm glad that you're better now! Congratulations on choosing an eating plan! I'd like to talk more, but it's past my bedtime!

I had some tea tonight, first time in 10 days that I've drank something other than water. The color on the ketosticks started getting lighter, then lighter, then I realized that I had FRUIT tea. It has pieces of dried fruit in it. I'm guessing that it had enough sugar carbs in it, that, added to my one meal a day that has vegetables, it was just about too many carbs. And I'm retaining water. I've had only about 8 cups of water today, but I don't remember noticing retaining water until late this evening--hour or more after the tea. I wonder if they're connected.

Well, off to bed!

Last edited by wcwendy; 11-19-2008 at 10:58 PM..
Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #35
Amish Wit

If I eat much salt, then I need to drink a lot of water, or I will retain a lot of water. I mentioned it to my naturopath once, hoping that he'd give me a pill , and he told me to drink more water if that's what my body needed. Why did I expect MY naturopath to give me a pill that I can easily fix with a diet that's good for me?

I often stay up too late at night because my husband does. I was getting up at 4:45 to cook breakfast for the two of us, make a lunch for him, and to spend time with him before he goes to work. I've only done it a few times during the past couple of weeks. I need to go to bed around 9:00 if I'm going to get up around 5. We're trying to work on a schedule that fits the needs of both of us...we're getting there.

I'm glad that you got a good night's sleep!

Fruit seems to be a big draw for you, doesn't it? And yet, your body rejects it sometimes? Is it possible that you have an allergy or intolerance to it? I crave things which I'm not supposed to eat. Just a thought; it might or might not be relevant. Or maybe you just had too much fruit at once?

I don't have a very difficult time avoiding fruit (I like chocolate! ), except during the Summer. Maybe it's partly the climate here and the way that it affects me. I feel tired and sluggish during the late Fall, Winter, and most of Spring. When the sun REALLY comes back in the late Spring, then I feel lighter and sunnier. I think that the mental feeling that I get from the sun is so good, that I want to get as much Summer as I can while we have it, and that includes watermelon, berries, etc. in my mind. So...there's an odd little tidbit about my eating related to emotional thoughts.

TODAY'S WEIGHT:

Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #36
Amish Wit

Stopping to say . I said a lot to you in my journal; now I have to run (not run literally ). Sorry!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #37
Amish Wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesgirl View Post
The pull it has for me is in the fact that...I seem to lose weight much faster.
Ahh, I had forgotten that piece of information.

I am exactly the same way with chocolate that you mentioned! It's awful! If I even taste it, it's on my mind all day long!

Went shopping today at a large, oddly-laid-out mall. I'm glad that they had directories in more places than usual.

Then we met my hubby at IKEA for dinner. I love their smörgåsbord, and was looking forward to it for hours. We got there, and they had already put it all away--just like the last time that we were there. They must clear it about an hour before the restaurant closes. I should call and ask, because I'd like to get to have it the next time that we're there. Anyway, I had a salad with salmon, lemon, Italian dressing, fresh dill and pepper. It was good. I love dill!

I saw in their food market area that they carry all of the varieties of pickled herring that are available in their smörgåsbord! I was going to buy some, until I read that...get this...5 pieces of herring (little square-shaped pieces) have 10-11 carbs! How can they get that much sugar into the fish? I've had their smörgåsbord while on Atkins, and haven't known it to cause me problems, but I don't actually know if it did or not.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #38
Amish Wit

I do believe that in typical American English, the words smörgåsbord and buffet are interchangeable; however, smörgåsbord is a Swedish word for their buffets, which consist of Swedish foods--herrings, salmon lax, other salmon, some potato salads that are kind of sour, Swedish mustards and sauerkraut (not the same as German), meatballs, lingonberry preserves, dry rye crackers, butter and sour cream, Swedish cheeses...at least that's what IKEA's smörgåsbord includes. I love it! I have heard that there were a lot of Swedish smörgåsbords in the '60s in the U.S., so maybe that's why that word became so widely used here. Of course, I have no idea, and it might have always been widely used here! I grew up in an area with a lot of people of Scandinavian descent, so maybe that's why that word was such a part of my youth.

Yes, I was disappointed, but I am glad that I wasn't disappointed in myself for eating off my plan!

TODAY'S WEIGHT:

Is indeterminable. I don't know what's going on with the scale; I had 3 different weights, and none of them made me happy, so I'm ignoring it today. I'll see what it says tomorrow.

DIET DECISIONS:

I have had red eyes since I started eating goat's milk products (cheese, butter) last Friday. I also still have dark circles under my eyes, which my ND has said is quite frequently a sign of a milk intolerance/allergy. I'm cutting goat's milk products from my diet for 10 days. If there's no improvement, then I'll call the doctor to ask if that wasn't enough time, or if I should look for something else to be causing it.

I started eating duck eggs on the same day, but because I didn't consume any over the weekend, but I did consume some goat's cheese, and because of the circles under my eyes, I'm going to start with goat's milk. AND I know that my blood test shows that I react to goat's milk. I was just hoping that any real-life reaction would be imperceptible!

We have a surprise birthday party to attend this evening. I somehow am "in on the planning" so I suggested that we have a meat and cheese tray with good mustard, lettuce and croissants. As it turns out, the person who is in charge of getting the food, is on a low-carb, but also low-fat, diet! Since we weren't going to have anything to eat there, she's excited about my idea, too. I have to go to Costco today to buy things, then put it together. I'm excited to attend a party where I can actually eat! Maybe I should splurge and make some SF jello. She and I are both avoiding artificial sweeteners, but I think that it should be fine once in a great while.

Ooo! I think that I'll try to make some Hawaiian coconut jello thing that I've had. I have 3 kinds of mostly natural sweeteners, plus Splenda. Maybe if I combine some things, it will taste good! Oo, I'm excited because I love coconut, and jelloy things!

Have a great day!

Last edited by wcwendy; 11-21-2008 at 08:56 AM..
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #39
Amish Wit

Oh, Sue, your statement about being tired reminded me of something. Yesterday, I was talking with our chiropractor about my change in diet, etc. I mentioned being really tired and just sitting around not wanting to do anything. (Well, mentally I want to do a lot of things, but physically, I'm very lethargic. ) I asked her if losing 1/2 pound/day could be making my body tired, and she said that could very well be what's causing my problems, and that losing that much, is a lot.

A respected nutritionist/dietitian whom I once saw said that 2 lbs/week is ideal, and that 3 lbs/week is on the upper edge of being OK--that anything more than that is difficult for the body to handle. I've never read anything about this in regards to Atkins, so I wonder if losing through ketosis is different?
(I'm putting this in bold letters to make it stand out because I want to look into this, without forgetting about it.)

OTOH, I might be lethargic because of goat's milk! Eating foods to which a body is reactive, doesn't produce good results.

Last edited by wcwendy; 11-21-2008 at 08:42 AM..
Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 PM   #40
Amish Wit

I had some YUMMY food tonight!

Bacon-wrapped scallops and
Coconut jello!

Coconut jello recipe
3 cups of coconut milk
2 packages of gelatin
sweetener if desired (I used 3 pkgs of erythritol; I wanted just a touch of sweetness.)
I sprinkled the gelatin over 2 cups of coconut milk, and boiled the remaining 1 cup of coconut milk. After thoroughly mixing the gelatin and coconut milk, I added the hot coconut milk and sweeteners. Put it in a Pyrex pan, like jello, and refrigerated until it was solid.

Yum, yum, yum! I ate more than I should have. I think that's because I didn't eat as much fat as usual, to satiate me, because it was just so good, and because they were things that I haven't had for so long! I love the jello-type texture. Also, I love sea food, yet am not sure of the last time that I had any.

At the party tonight, I didn't eat anything that I shouldn't have!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
[B]wendy [/B- thanks. I forgot to add last night that I also had a glass of blush (sweet) wine to calm my nerves. My nerves are even worse this morning! And I am up a pound! Eek! No, I feel better when I eat lots of fruit and incorporate food combining principles while doing so. So I don't know where I'll go from here. Maybe back to BHD. I was RAW most of the summer and should have stayed there and at least the BHD allows a variety of foods spread out over the week (at least the NBHD does) and even meals including meats, fish, and chicken etc. - but not daily. I'll keep posting.
islegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:48 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Sounds yummy! I just love seafood expecially lobster! But I've been spoiled and used to have it right off the boats in Maine. And in New Brunswick. Now we can't afford it around here anyway.

Last edited by islegirl; 11-22-2008 at 05:49 AM..
Old 11-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #43
Amish Wit

Fresh Atlantic seafood sure would be nice. It seems to have better flavor than a lot of its Pacific counterparts. Maybe it's the higher water temperature and the higher salt content. Or maybe they're just better tasting varieties.

I have been taking potassium for fatigue. My chiropractor suggested that since that's helping, then maybe I'm low in minerals, and should take calcium (I am) and magnesium (haven't been). Somebody exercising on Induction said that she noticed a HUGE difference from taking potassium and magnesium. I guess that I'll go buy some.

I don't think that I've mentioned it, but I've been very lethargic and sleepy. Most of the time I could easily go back to sleep. Most of the time I don't want to do ANYTHING. This isn't ME, so it's getting frustrating.

I've been taking one dose of vitamins/day, but the bottle says to take them twice. Maybe that would help.

Off to shop and buy some magnesium.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #44
Amish Wit

Coconut jello

I don't know what it is about it, but I crave coconut jello. I love it. When I eat it, I keep eating more, then going back to get more, then wanting more...you get the picture. It could be a lot of things causing it:

It could be that it's the only squishy thing that I've eaten in a long time.
It could be the slightly sweet flavor.
It could be that I love coconut, so I want more.
It could be that coconut, gelatin and/or erythritol cause cravings for me.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #45
Amish Wit

TODAY'S WEIGHT

The previous two days, my weight fluctuated between 198 and 199.5 in the mornings. It was really odd that it kept changing (without eating anything), and I don't know why it had gone up in the first place. The only out of the ordinary things that I ate on Thursday were:

Hickory Farms hot sausage bites
salmon salad at IKEA
one bite of Hickory Farms' ham summer sausage, which is SWEET!

The salad was large, so I thought that having that many carbs might have kicked me out of ketosis, but I wasn't. OTOH, the sticks didn't have much color.

YESTERDAY'S FOOD

lots of vitamins Go me!
pastrami
salami
coconut jello

mall Chinese pepper chicken and kung pao chicken--could taste the sugar

coconut jello

chicken breast w/ lime, green curry, Sri Racha, cooked in coconut oil
Brussels sprouts-4
marinated mushrooms-7
cauliflower cooked in cumin and duck eggs--1/2 cup?
the rest of my vitamins--1st time that I've remembered to take both doses!!
finished the coconut jello--No more food that I can't resist is in the house!

Keto sticks this morning--barely a trace.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #46
Amish Wit

I know it's hard to stick to a diet when not feeling well! Good job, Sue!

I hope that you're just having induction adjustments, that you'll soon feel great, and that you'll be able to lose weight.

How are you doing today?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #47
Amish Wit

Important dates

Started Atkins '72 with only fats and proteins--November 10

Added duck eggs--November 13

Added goat's milk products--November 14

Added vegetables--November 17

Took out goat's milk products--November 21
Old 11-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #48
Amish Wit

TODAY'S WEIGHT

198 (at 4:20 a.m., so I expected it to be higher than yesterday's which was at 8:30)
Old 11-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #49
Amish Wit

TODAY'S FOOD

Breakfast:
6 or 7 slices of bacon

chocolate coconut jello--not very good, but it's cool and creamy

Lunch:
1+ cup wilted lettuce salad (lettuce, bacon pieces, bacon grease, vinegar, erythritol, salt, pepper)
salami, turkey, pastrami, Hickory Farms summer sausage

9 cups water

I love vegetables, and I'm getting tired of eating only 1-2 cups per day. Plus, I don't really weigh any less since adding vegetables. My weight went down for a few days, but then it went back up. Maybe if I had been able to start going to the Y last week, things would be working differently. Maybe while exercising, I'll be able to eat 20 carbs of vegetables and lose weight. That would be nice.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #50
Amish Wit

Decision

If I don't actually lose weight soon (sometime between now and Friday), then I'm going back to meat only. It was boring, but I didn't have any cravings, when I was hungry it was more of a feeling of "It's time to eat" than the regular "I need food!" hungriness, and I lost weight. Oh, and I didn't have to study the ketostix to see if I was in ketosis.

I have been very tired all week. I haven't been remembering to take my potassium most of the time, and I forgot to buy some magnesium. That might be why I'm so tired. I'm trying to remember to take my second dose of vitamins each day, but haven't made it more than a day or so.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #51
Amish Wit

REST OF TODAY'S FOOD

* More water
* Stir-fried chicken w/ bell peppers, bok choy, cabbage, bell peppers, crimini mushrooms, lots of garlic, ginger, and oil.
* Almost all of the chocolate coconut jelloy pudding, even though it isn't very good.

So...apparently, I am using no control when it comes to either:

creamy things or
coconut

I'm not sure which it is, actually. If I get out the unsweetened, flaked coconut, I always eat more than I intend to eat.

OTOH, if I eat something creamy like ice cream, whipped cream, cream cheese, jello/cool whip/cottage cheese salad, chocolate cream pie, cheesecake that I like (not the authentic stuff--fake stuff make with cream cheese, lemon juice, and Cool Whip ) then I will almost 100% of the time eat more than I wanted to eat and more than a person should reasonably eat.

Is it the sugar, the taste or the texture? I don't know. Hmm....actually, I think that it isn't the sugar, because I can almost always pass on desserts if they're something that I don't love or at least like a lot. Things with pineapple, cinnamon, bready puddings, eggy things, maraschino cherries, apples (unless it's a specific apple dumpling recipe! Yum), pears, peanuts/peanut butter, vanilla, orange...OK, so if it isn't chocolate and/or cream cheese and/or other dairy, I will probably not like it, and I will probably not eat it. (I do like some fruit and berry things, but they don't usually temp me like chocolate and dairy.)

Hmm...so what have I learned? That maybe sugar isn't my problem; maybe creaminess is. Interesting concept.

I'm also wondering if I'm allergic to coconut or erythritol. I'm getting that feeling in the back of my throat that I get when I eat a lot of dairy. OTOH, it's the same feeling that I sometimes get when I start to get a cold, so who knows yet. I guess that I'll cut them from my diet, take some vitamin C and immune boosters and see what happens. I need to quit pigging out on coconut milk, anyway! Who needs to eat a cup in one day?!?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #52
Amish Wit

Because I am being sooo smart with my food choices, I finished the chocolate coconut pudding stuff. I needed some fat, and I ended up eating some after that. I should've realized it FIRST. Oh well. Odd thing, though, is that the ketostix are darker than they have been today. Maybe the coconut wasn't too many carbs for me? I don't know. Maybe I'll figure it out sometime.

I think that I'll make a fake stuffing for Thanksgiving. I'm also going to make a green salad, and some steamed broccoli. Other than that, I'll have ham. Doesn't sound exciting, and frankly, it kind of frustrates me. OTOH, the only Thanksgiving food that I really like is desserts, so I don't know why I'm frustrated about it. Oh well. I'll survive, and I'll be glad that I didn't eat off my plan.

I would like to start exercising to see if I can lose weight faster, feel better, be in shape, and be healthier. After Thanksgiving weekend, I suppose. I don't have time this week.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #53
Amish Wit

TODAY'S WEIGHT

198.5 (at 7:00 a.m.)

Last edited by wcwendy; 11-25-2008 at 07:43 AM..
Old 11-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #54
Amish Wit

Food intolerances

Since taking goat's milk products out of my diet, my eyes have quit being red. It started after I first ate some goat's milk cheese.

I had my 1st blood allergen test done in '97. I reacted with all but one cow's milk product, chicken eggs, blueberries, corn...some other things.

Last week I found that I didn't own a copy of my next blood test from '05. I got it yesterday. It shows reactions to blueberries, cauliflower, beef, lobster, and a couple of other things, but NOT cow's milk, and the reaction to eggs was minimal.

So, since I don't remember feeling any better since taking cow's milk and chicken eggs from my diet, I'm putting them back into it. Here goes the test to see if they really were bothering me!

In celebration of this momentous event I'm making an almost organic, low-carb, sugar-free, all natural lemon meringue pie for Thursday!! I love lemon meringue, and so does my dad, so I won't have to eat the whole thing by myself.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #55
Amish Wit

Food intolerances

OK...an important thing came to mind:

I think that when I had my blood test in '05, I had been avoiding chicken eggs and cow's milk products. This would have the potential to make then test as being OK for me.

Yesterday, I should have had cow's milk products OR chicken eggs, NOT both. Now I don't know which is causing the sore ears and sore throat. I will have neither today, but I will likely have a piece of lemon meringue pie tomorrow. Why? Because I like pain? No, not really. Because I'm not positive that ONE piece of pie will cause me problems and I've been looking forward to it.

You know...I remember citrus showing as a problem on one of my tests. :blush: I once bought a lime meringue pie while the kids were gone, and DH didn't want any of it, so I was eating a LOT of it and getting more and more sick as I went. I finally threw the rest in the garbage, but it was difficult to do because it was so yummy!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #56
Amish Wit

TODAY'S WEIGHT

198 at 5:00 a.m.
196.5 at 7:20 a.m.

That's quite a drop in two hours--while I was sleeping.

Last night I reread part of the '72 book. It dawned on me yesterday, after somebody pointed it out , that if I'm consuming even one more carb than my CCL then I won't lose weight. That sounds so obvious, doesn't it? DH pointed out there are things like fewer calories, more exercise...but I'm talking about Atkins, not other ways to lose weight. Plus, a person's CCL can change with other life changes, so I likely have a different CCL when exercising. (I don't know; I've never tried it. )

I also reread the section on ketostix color, and if it's barely showing, the book says to cut carbs until the sticks read purple again, or at the very least lavender. My sticks don't have lavender on them, so I'm assuming that he's talking about the point at which it changes from pink to purple. For me, that point in my diet was BEFORE adding vegetables.

So, here's the plan:
Until I start exercising, I will go back to the fat and protein only diet. Once I start exercising, I will probably be able to add vegetables. Until then, it will prevent me from losing, so why am I doing it?!?

I will take more vitamins to see if that helps me to not feel tired constantly. I'm already taking potassium, calcium, Vit D, a good multivitamin. I just added B vitamins and C; I'll keep taking those. I will add magnesium (finally remembered to buy some! ).
Old 11-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Hi wendy. I'm re-reading the '72 book also and trying to get back into Ketosis - to see that beautiful purple stick! (My favorite color!). I actually had my coffee without any honey or sugar this morning - just heavy cream. Yuk, it wasn't great but then I am addicted to sugar, I guess, not just coffee. In fact, I don't like it without sugar so it shouldn't be so hard to cut it out altogether - right? Are you able to have any salad or is that too many carbs? Poor girl - you will truly be a steak and eggs (duck) person for now eh? Some of the people in that book eat lots of meat though and do just fine. Since I am the kind of person who seems to need to be reading constantly about Low Carb to get the extra support, I ordered "The Diet Cure" and "The Mood Cure" from Julia Ross and am so looking forward to getting them. Have you read them?

Hope you have a good day, wendy.

Sue.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #58
Amish Wit

Good job with your coffee! I don't like coffee plain, that's most of the reason that I almost never drink it while on Atkins. Since you want to cut coffee, this might be a great way to do it! I guess, hooray for the extra help, huh?

I haven't lost since adding vegetables, so I'm assuming that I can't have even a salad. OTOH, I haven't had JUST salad for more than one day in a row, but if I'm eating a similar number of carbs from vegetables that are on the OK list, then I don't know why one vegetable would make a difference over another. Maybe it does? I guess that I haven't followed the plan in that regard, have I?! :blush:

So, yeah, just meats, fats and duck eggs for now. Maybe this will help me to get to the Y!

I haven't read either of those books. In fact, I hadn't even heard of them until I started coming here. I hope that they're beneficial for you!

You have a great day, too, Sue!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #59
Amish Wit

Major change that I'm surprised to be making

I have never doubted that Atkins is the way to go. Until I started reading more here. Now, I'm not so sure. I see SO many people who have to eat 40 or 60 carbs, or some other extremely low number of carbs/day to not gain weight once they hit their goal weight. I don't want to screw up my body and make myself have to live by a restricted way of eating so that I don't GAIN once I've lost it all. I plan to eat sensibly to control the physical problems that I have and to be healthy, but I had never planned to NEED to count carbs for the rest of my life.

That along with reading about (some) people with thyroid issues needing to up their carbs to lose weight, made me rethink what I'm doing.

I looked at the diet that my ND had given me (3+ years ago!) that I haven't done, and decided to do it--including the hour of exercise 5 days/week. Then I called the dr. office and was told that, before starting his plan, I need to get some tests done and talk to the Dr. about my goals for losing weight and having a food plan, so I'm going in next week.

Until then, I'll still eat Atkinsy--meats, eggs, vegetables--but I'm not going to worry about carbs. I'm just going to not make myself literally sick this next week, then talk to him about what would be best for me. I do have enough physical problems that I really should get some advice from somebody whom I trust.

The diet that he previously gave me was high-protein, moderate complex carb, low-fat diet and exercise ( ):
40% animal protein
50% vegetables
10% fruits/seeds/nuts

We'll see what he recommends next week. I think that it will be similar, but then again, maybe I've screwed up things since then.

I'm not looking forward to counting calories or fat, nor am I excited about the amount of exercise that he wants me to do, but...well I have to do SOMETHING and I do trust this doctor (for several reasons, some being that everything that I've heard him say makes sense to me, and everything that I've done that he recommended worked for me). One reason that I like Atkins is that I don't have to think much about what to eat. Maybe what my doctor recommends will get easy with practice. This time, I'm going to tell him my concerns and why I like Atkins. We'll see what he ultimately recommends.

I am on vit. D, and am hypoglycemic, as well. I had candida issues, and have food and some airborne intolerances. Kind of frustrating, but we have to deal with what we have. All of those, mixed with the hypothyroid, make me feel that I need some personal attention regarding my diet, KWIM?

So...there goes my plan that I mentally started last night. I feel good about talking to my ND; I've been avoiding it because I didn't want to change what I'm doing. Now I'm at a point where Atkins is starting to scare me, and I'm wondering if it's not all that I thought it would be (longterm, I mean).
Old 11-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #60
Amish Wit

I forgot to add yesterday, that the fact that I'm so tired that once I sit down I don't want to get up has me concerned. Atkins hasn't made me feel this way before, so I don't know what's going on.