LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: kelley17
Stats: 175/160/125
WOE: Finding My Way
Start Date: 5/5/10
DOING IT FOR MYSELF AND MY FAMILY

[COLOR="Navy"]Wow - how did I get here? Growing up I was a pretty active person and would gain a few pounds here and there, but could always get them off in a few weeks. Fast forward 15 years, 3 children, and family health problems later - ugh.

I first found this forum looking for information on callanetics - work out I did back in the 80s that was very effective for me. I got my new dvd of 10/10 and began taking part in the callanetics thread on this board and thought now I got to get my nutrition together. So I've lurked into other people's journals and thought I need to make myself accountable, but not beat myself up to get healthy.

I have 3 gorgeous children ds - 8, dd - almost 4, and dd 15 mos. so I have the post baby pudge plus a little extra and I'm a stress eater. I say this because my dad is currently going through treatment for multiple myeloma and has been in and out of the hospital. We are all so worried about him that our needs are put on the back burner. Poor guy is such fighter and has been going through this pain and aggravation for a year now. I just want him healthy and happy again. My mom and I were talking and we are beginning to realize we all need to look at ourselves and readjust our priorities and health habits.

I've decided I need to be healthy and I'm going to do this for my health first and then worry about my weight. So my goal now is to incorporate the healthy choices from the hundreds of diet/health books I've read plus the great inspiration and tips I've read on many of the threads her at LCF.

I promise myself to:
Make healthier food choices
Exercise at least 4 days a week
Not beat myself up when I do make a poor choice, but still be accountable for it

I can do this![/COLOR]
C25K Graduate and Now restart April 2012 W1D3 done
my weightloss journeyDoing it for myself and my family
kelley17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Got up this morning and the left over chocolate cake was calling my name, but I managed to ignore it and pour myself some grapenuts. I added 2 tbls of almonds and a few strawberries - yummy. I know all you low carbers are probably going nuts right now with 48g of carbs per serving for just the grapenuts, but I'm easing into this slowly and finding my way.

Off now to finish my hw (only 2 more days of class left - yipee) and get the kiddies dressed.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Well - that breakfast kept me full until lunch time. I think it was the added almonds that helped. Usually by lunch I'm starving and that is after having a snack or two - no snack needed today. For lunch I was good - I got a salad with chicken although I did eat about 5 of my kid's french fries, but usually I would have gotten my own so progress.

I got great news my dad is doing so well they are probably going to send him home tomorrow! This is so wonderful considering he was touch and go just last Thursday. He is finally eating and starting to walk around the floor. We are all so relieved.

Oops forgot to mention my downfall - I had a coke with my lunch. I really need to get off that stuff - going to work on that goal as well. Should I wean or go cold turkey????? Will have to think about that one.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

[COLOR="Navy"]OK - I did alright for dinner - I have school on Tues and Thurs from 5-9 and I got a mcds chick wrap for dinner. Not the best, but not the worst I could have done.

Yipee got out early! I then called to check on my dad and he said he was just getting ready to go to sleep so not to visit him. So I went to visit my mom and see how she is holding up. Good/bad visit - very weepy and tired of the roller coaster it looks like my dad is not coming home after all. He is running a fever again. Boy does cancer suck. He starts getting stronger, they take him off his meds and the fever goes right back up. Poor guy - I don't know how he does it. We keep praying and trying to keep a brave face, but it is hard. My mom is really having a difficult time, they just celebrated their 40th and were high school sweethearts. Well, had a couple of glasses of wine and a couple slices of cheese with mom. I really wanted a pint of ice cream to bury my feelings in!

I'm finding while this is questioning my faith, it is also pulling me towards it even more. I'm a christmas/easter catholic, but this is really pulling me back in. God has a plan and I've got to trust in him, but that doesn't mean I can't be a little angry along the way. My dad is our rock and is one of the most ethical, caring people I know and it just doesn't seem fair that he has to go through this - heck most people don't deserve to go through this except maybe murders, rapist, and child molesters!

This has been helpful, normally I would have come home and eaten everything in sight. - I think I will get a glass of water and go to bed. Oh, I did get an hour of callanetics done today. if anyone reads my journal please keep my dad in your prayers.[/COLOR]
Old 07-16-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Just finished my breakfast of grapenuts, almonds, raspberries and skim milk. Very yummy. I'm going to try and get my 10/10 workout in this morning. Got to study for my final exam tomorrow - big stresser plus my mom is supposed to call with news on my dad.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: KimmerJ
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Today is the DAY!!!!!
I just wanted to say and I too am one who is trying to get healthy! All of us are not low carbers here, even though this is a low carb board. I'm doing WW's and I GRAPENUTS!

to the Journals! Have a Great On - Plan day!
KimmerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:55 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Kimmer. Thanks for stopping by and the encouragement. I need all I can get. I will have to stop by your journal and get some inspiration! Have a great one!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:07 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

I had a very busy day yesterday and while I checked the boards a couple of times didn't post.

I did alright with the eating:

L: handful of reduced calorie wheat thins, wedge of lowfat laughing cow, cup of raspberries

S: string cheese

D: grilled chick breast, rice, green beans - glass of red wine

D: my evil hubby made pb rice crispie treats with dark chocolate frosting - couldn't resist had one.

As for the rest of the story :

I got another 10/10 under my belt - it is hard to do, but i feel so relaxed afterwards and needed it yesterday.

Spent most of the day studying for my Geom Exam (that's tonight). played a bit with the kids. I talked to my mom last night and I can tell from her tone she was upset with me. She was having a rough night and I was trying to help, but sometimes she takes my comforting as telling her she needs to stop feeling a certain way. I tried to explain that wasn't what I meant at all, but ... So then I felt like crap because she is having such a hard time dealing with my dad's illness and the last thing I want to do is make her feel worse. But she is sort of a glass is 1/2 empty type of person and I'm 1/2 full. I constantly bite my tongue when she goes on her gloomy wagon, and all I try to tell her is the power of the mind, faith, and good thoughts are remarkable. I pray we make it through.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Well - it is only 11 and I already ate lunch - I guess that is what you get when you eat breakfast so early - the little one woke up at 630.
B- grapenuts with blueberries and skim milk
L- egg salad on ww bread some grapes 1/2 soda (yes I know it is horrible for me but i'm weaning myself off)

Talked to mom this morning she sounded a little better, but still sad. Wish this all could go away. Keep thinking positive and praying -

i'm off to go do 10/10 - and then a nice hot bath!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: djb17
Stats: 227/205.7/150
WOE: modified Suzanne Somers
Start Date: June 2008
Hi Kelley! Just wanted to say hello and that I'll pray for your dad. Good for you for getting healthy! That's what motivates me too (and the chance to buy fabulous new clothes...what better excuse than losing weight and getting fit!)
djb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb17 View Post
Hi Kelley! Just wanted to say hello and that I'll pray for your dad. Good for you for getting healthy! That's what motivates me too (and the chance to buy fabulous new clothes...what better excuse than losing weight and getting fit!)
dj -
thanks for dropping by and thanks for keeping my dad in your prayers.

Do you really live in vienna? How lovely, I visited there awhile back and it was just beautiful - so different from America! Everything tasted better too!

Good luck and here's to seeing less of us
Old 07-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Just got home - I think I aced my Exam . Then went out with a couple of girlfriends to celebrate - Mexican my downfall!

I had 2 watermelon margaritas, 1 chick flauta, a little bit of queso and of course chips and really good salsa! Yummy.

I then went to see my dad. He looked tired but good and was more coherent. He even cracked a few jokes and chewed on his tongue (family trait). Still running a fever, but he has an infection so hopefully we will get that cleared up and he will come home maybe Sun

Talked with my mom on the way home and she sounded worried, but better when I told her about my visit. We all are on edge and easily unnerved. Went to Whole Foods - OMG I love that store - I wish I could afford to shop there all the time! Bought some whey powder and coconut oil. Want to see why Tooter and others are so obsessed with the stuff. Wish me luck I'm going to do my first oil pulling and tomorrow I'm going to lather myself up before I go to the pool! I only stay about an hour (that's all I can handle with 3 kids) so I should be alright.

Nighty Night - off to bed with a big glass of water and 2 aspirin.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:21 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: djb17
Stats: 227/205.7/150
WOE: modified Suzanne Somers
Start Date: June 2008
Congrats on the exam! woo hoo! feels good, no?

yup, living in Vienna. Love it, too came for a vacation, met a man in a restaurant by chance, 2 1/2 yrs later am married to him and here we live! LOVE living in Europe!
djb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:28 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb17 View Post
Congrats on the exam! woo hoo! feels good, no?

yup, living in Vienna. Love it, too came for a vacation, met a man in a restaurant by chance, 2 1/2 yrs later am married to him and here we live! LOVE living in Europe!

I feel great - today I'm actually go to do a little cleaning and then take the kiddies to the pool - I'm still winter white!

How lovely for you. I took my niece to Anncey (french alps) to stay with her former au pairs family and stayed for 3 weeks. I called my mom and told her if I wasn't married I would probably apply for a visa and stay as long as i could. Just loved the way of life over there - so simple and they work to live rather than live to work like us Americans. Enjoy it!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

I just finished breakfast: 1 cup plain lowfat yogurt with 1 scoop vanilla whey powder, 1/2 cup raspberries, and sprinkling of grapenuts. Very yummy, but filling. I had to force myself to eat the last little bit. I read about how great whey protein is and I'm giving it a try. So far so good.

I did the oil pulling thing last night. I made it 2 mins and then started gagging. It wasn't unpleasant just weird and my mouth got tired with all the swishing. I don't know if I will ever make it up to 20 mins. Not sure why I started gagging, just happened. Will try again tonight.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:48 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley17 View Post
I just finished breakfast: 1 cup plain lowfat yogurt with 1 scoop vanilla whey powder, 1/2 cup raspberries, and sprinkling of grapenuts. Very yummy, but filling. I had to force myself to eat the last little bit. I read about how great whey protein is and I'm giving it a try. So far so good.

I did the oil pulling thing last night. I made it 2 mins and then started gagging. It wasn't unpleasant just weird and my mouth got tired with all the swishing. I don't know if I will ever make it up to 20 mins. Not sure why I started gagging, just happened. Will try again tonight.
The gagging happens at first. I think it's a reaction to the coconut oil in your mouth and then your saliva seems to pour into your mouth. The reaction is the gagging. It happened with me at first. It doesn't happen at all any more. It's just something that you get used to and it goes away. This is why they advise to "oil pull" on an empty stomach. Your not used to oil sitting in your mouth and your body is reacting to it (the extra saliva and gagging reflex).
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:16 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
The gagging happens at first. I think it's a reaction to the coconut oil in your mouth and then your saliva seems to pour into your mouth. The reaction is the gagging. It happened with me at first. It doesn't happen at all any more. It's just something that you get used to and it goes away. This is why they advise to "oil pull" on an empty stomach. Your not used to oil sitting in your mouth and your body is reacting to it (the extra saliva and gagging reflex).
Thanks for the info tooter - btw do you pull once or twice a day? i read where you pulled 3xday when you had a tooth ache, but on average do you pull just once a day? Also how much of it do you ingest a day? Is it better to eat it uncooked or does it matter???

This afternoon I'm taking the kiddies to the pool for about an hour and plan to put CO on myself and see what happens - I have irish skin.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley17 View Post
Thanks for the info tooter - btw do you pull once or twice a day? i read where you pulled 3xday when you had a tooth ache, but on average do you pull just once a day? Also how much of it do you ingest a day? Is it better to eat it uncooked or does it matter???

This afternoon I'm taking the kiddies to the pool for about an hour and plan to put CO on myself and see what happens - I have irish skin.
I "Pull" at least Once a day. Some days, Twice (If I had missed a day).

Ingesting it? I try for 4 Tbs a day...More often then not, I only get 3 Tbs in.

I put it in my tea or coffee. I don't think it matters if it's cooked or uncooked.

Go Slow, when you are upping the coconut oil. Give your body time to get used to it.

I am Also, Irish (Scotch/Irish). Don't over do it in the sun. Work you way up with that too. Also, use the CO as "After" Skin care from the sun. Put it on your skin after your bath/Shower.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Tooter! Luckily 2 of my 3 children got my husbands gorgeous olive skin. My DS has mom's pale skin, but he tans nicely and has yet to burn (knock on wood). I told my mom that my 2 little girls are like the girls I was jealous of who could go stockingless in the winter and have beautiful legs.

I think I will try 1 TBS in my tea and oil pull once a day for a week and see how it goes. Thanks for your wisdom!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

I just got a call from my mom and my dad is coming home today! I know my mom is going to be walking on eggshells for awhile. Can't wait to take the kiddies for a visit. He hasn't seen my youngest walk yet.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:12 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Let me see I need to finish up yesterday.

S: Tea with CO and 1 graham cracker
L: Chick with hot mustard sauce carrots
S: plain lowfat yogurt with whey protein poweder and strawberries
D: 1 1/2 slices pizza 2 glasses of wine

I oil pulled again - only made 2 minutes again, but tooter says give my body time to adjust so I will. I think I will try and give it 30 days and see where I am then.

Yesterday was a busy day running errands. We then went to my mom and dads to visit. My dad looked good and was so happy his little Emme (my 15 mos old) ran right to him and got in his lap. She showed him all the new tricks she has learned (he hasn't seen in her in about 2 mos and in that time she started walking). She would climb into his lap and hug him and then get down and play and five minutes later be back - very cute. My 3 year old, however, petrified of him. She started crying and wouldn't get out of my lap for the longest time. He looks very different and we kept saying that is Poppa and she kept shaking her head no and wouldn't look at him. We just let it go and eventually she crept off my lap and began playing and about 2 hours later she walked over and talked to him, she helped take him on his walk around the house and finally gave him a hug. My son did alright, but he is 7 so we were able to explain a little more to him. It was a nice visit. I helped mom get him up to bed and then we visited with her for a little while. I hope he is fever free today. It is so nice to have him home and hopefully on the mend.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Meals so far:

B: 1 slice pizza (i know but i love pizza for breakfast)
L: turkey sandwich with mustard tomato, lettuce, onion, pickles on skinny ww

went to see my mom and dad again. my dad looks good and mom seems calm. Hopefully he is finally on the road to recovery .

I checked out the 100 push up challenge - I took the test as was able to do 8 good form push ups so I'm good to go on Monday.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Last night I was so full from my yummy turkey sandwich I wasn't hungry so I had a spoonful of PB for dinner. I did my 10th hour of 10/10 then had a hot bath and glass of wine before I went to bed.

I have good news bad news: Bad news I've gained 2 lbs , but i'm hoping that is because i'm building muscle from doing 10/10. Good news I lost at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch on all my body parts.

I'm going to really start looking at my diet this week and I plan on starting both the push up challenge and the 4 weeks to run 1 mile.

For breakfast grapenuts with skim milk and fruit today.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

L: turkey sandwich on ww
s: spoonful of PB
D: chick stirfry with veggies and a little bit of jasmine rice

lazy day today. dad still doing good. need to rest up for my big day tomorrow (push up challenge and if it is not too hot my first run).
Old 07-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Just finished my first day of the push up challenge. I've decided to do the 6 week challenge doing girl push ups. A few people said they started, but ended up quitting because by the 2nd or 3rd week it was just too difficult.

B: lowfat plain yogurt with 1 scoop whey protein, blueberries, and sprinkle of grapenuts
Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

s: laughing cow lowfat cheese wedge & couple of ww crackers
L: lowfat hotdog and some pickles
s: spoonful o pb

dad is doing well and now i'm off to take the kiddies to the pool
Old 07-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Dinner last night was pancakes cooked in co - yummy. Got home late because my daughter had swim lessons so had to make due. Did another hour of 10/10 and felt so good, but boy were my arms tired. Then I got up and OUCH my upper body is a bit sore today.

B: glass of milk
S: piece of cheese
L: slice of pizza salad
S: apple
D: taco salad made with turkey breast - yummy
oh and had a bud light w/lime

I'm sort of going through the motions with my diet right now. Not real sure what I'm doing. It isn't as if I haven't read tons of diet books, but I haven't found one that fits me or maybe I'm not ready??? I've been checking out the different plans on the board, just don't know. so frustrated.

On a good note, my family is healthy and happy. My dad is doing better and I'm thankful for all of it.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:03 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Just finished my second day of week 1 (push up challenge) OUCH! I'm still sore from Monday.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Yesterday was another busy day. My son had swim lessons in the morning - got home put the baby down for a nap. played with the 3 yr old. Went back out around 4 - 3 yr olds swim class, then off to dance class got home around 730.

B: grapenuts with almonds, strawberries, skim milk
S: grapenut bar
L: 1 soft taco with turkey, homemade guac, tomatoes and a little cheese
S: grapenut bar
D: nachos with turkey breast, salsa, cheese, tomatoes and bud light lime

I know not the best but not the worst and after checking out many of the weightloss threads I've decided to try out the Crack the fat loss code diet on Monday. Eating all my tempting carbie foods. Need to get out and buy the book today. It seems doable (1 really strict week) and then gradually add more variety. The best thing is no food becomes the enemy. Atkins I could never do and I'm in awe of all of you that can. But different strokes for different folks....

Off to swim class
Old 07-26-2008, 05:57 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Busy day yesterday, but fun.

B: eggs scrambled in co and then added a little cheese and salsa - only finished half. the co did not go with my salsa cheese

Took all 3 kiddies to the pool for a couple of hours again lathered us all up with co. My back got burned and my son's shoulders a bit pink, but I think it was because we were there 2 hours and when i reapplied it didn't have long to sink in before we were all back in the pool so I think it all just washed off. Lesson learned. I have been applying it to my burnt back and my son's pink shoulders to ease the sting. My brown berry daughters got browner no burn, but they have their daddies olive skin.

L: Nachos made with leftover grd turk brst, tomatoes, salsa, cheese, and homemade guac - yummy

s: grapenut bar

d: 2 slices of pizza.

I've been hitting the carbs hard the last few days because i'm starting crack the fat loss code on mon. i want to get rid of the temptation and i'm finding i'm addicted to them. hopefully, this new woe will bring me back into alignment so to speak.

I did 10/10 last night as well as the night before and I did W1D3 of PUC yesterday as well.