LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 04:07 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karennic
Stats: 206/199/125
WOE: Crack the fat loss code
Start Date: September 13
Karen's Balanced Eating Blog

I have done low carb in the past with some success, back in 1999. Since then I gained all my weight back plus and have never been able to get low carb to work since then. My problem has been that I just feel so terrible on low carb. I get heart palps and am totally wiped out. I have a hard time functioning at all, let alone having enough energy to exercise.

I just re-discovered the Schwarzbein Principle and am committing to following that program. I read the Transition, the second book, in the past, but I got confused and could never figure out which type I was so I moved on the next thing. This time I am starting with the first book and moving on from there. I love her prescription for healing the metabolism. There is no sign of low calorie, low fat, OR very low carb. She says that eating too few carbs breaks the body down and is just as bad as eating too many carbs. I have known this all along, just based on how my body feels on low carb. It just can't be healthy and make me feel so bad at the same time. I love her discussions on low seratonin state and stimulants. I really did a number on my body in the past by using stimulants and eating poorly. I have come a long way nutrition wise, but am still struggling to drop this weight.

Today I had a fantastic breakfast of steel cut oats with cream and butter and cinammon, 3 free range eggs with coconut oil and peppers and onions. Yum!

Back to my books for now.

Karennic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

I was looking at my progress so far and figured that I have lost 14 lbs since April 6, which is when I started this last weight loss effort. I lost 7 lbs in April, 3 lbs in May and 4 lbs in June. I am happy with those results. Although it seems to be going sooooooooo slow, that is good. They say the slower it comes off, the better chance you have of not regaining. Plus I don't feel like I am on a diet, I am going to eat this way forever.

For lunch I had:

A beef mixture I made up:

1 lb Ground Beef
pepper and onions
1 can tomato sauce
1 can seasoned chili beans with liquid

I ate a bowl of that, plus I had a serving of watermelon and a green salad with oil and vinegar dressing. Yum!!

For dinner I am going out with a friend. I already checked out the menu and decided what I will have: yay me

Sirloin steak
garlic skin on mashed potatoes
salad with oil and vinegar

I decided that I will bring my own dressing just in case all that have is prepared dressing that most likely has HFCS in it. YUK!!
Old 07-04-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Numbers

I wonder if tracking all these numbers is doing me any good? I can tend toward obsessiveness with trying to figure all this out. I have it in my head that the perfect magic combination of forces will deliver effortless weight loss. But maybe focusing too much on each fluctuation of the scale, and what my macro percentages are, and what total calories are, is just taking up space in my brain for nothing! And there is no magic combo.

I've been tracking my food and exercise on ***********. I used to use ******, but I thought the whole myspace thing on *********** was neat. Schwarzbein says not to track calories, just to keep track of carbs. I don't know. On the one hand, can it hurt to get the data? It is nice to be able to go back and look at what you were eating when you were losing, stalled or whatever. And you can see patterns if you track weight daily, such as TOM fluctuations. The problem is trying to keep the emotions out of it. When my weight goes up I get discouraged, and vice versa, if my weight goes down I get excited. And those little fluctuations are quite meaningless in the grand scheme of things. It's like the stock market, up, down, up, down.

Some of the programs I have been on focus a LOT on numbers. But because the body is not a machine, I don't believe mathematical equations always work when it comes to losing weight.

I am toying with the idea of taking a break from all of it. I think I have established good nutrition habits. I generally eat pretty good. Maybe I will give myself a break from it all for awhile. It brings up fear if I think of not using the scale, especially. What if I gain back what I have lost? I will be in the dark and not know my weight is creeping up. Actually yes I will know because my clothes will get tighter. I don't even know if I can do that. I'm going to give it a try, but I reserve the right to change my mind

I bought an ice cream maker last night. I am going to try some of the low carb recipes. I do not use art sweeteners or real sweeteners, so I will have to rely on other flavors. Hopefully it will come out yummy. I am going to make some strawberry ice cream cuz the strawberries are in season right now and are yummy!!
Old 07-05-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: EvelynM
Stats: 22-24/14-16/8-10
WOE: BFFM/P90X
Hi Karen!

Wow, reading your blog is like looking at one of my diary entries. We have similar histories (success at low carb/regaining; BFFM, etc.)!

I hear you about the tendency toward obsession. I do have all my numbers in ****** from '04 when I dropped 30 pounds on BFFM. It was relatively easy (but did involve a lot of working out). I've gone back a few times to check out those menus. Nothing magical but the numbers that worked were ratios of 50-30-20 (P-F-C).

With the thyroid and hormonal issues, I couldn't get back and stay on this type of plan for more than 3 or 4 days because nothing was happening and I'd get discouraged.

I so resisted low carb again because it scared me. Venuto was in my brain telling me how your body forgets how to metabolize carbs and the minute you start eating them again .... well, you know the drill. Plus, coming back to this site and finding all of these threads and blogs where people are slurping up tons of cheese and heavy cream. I can't imagine that really being good for me. More to the point, it doesn't FEEL good.

So, I'm taking it one day at a time. Still scoping it out and seeing what works. Trying not to be rigid which always gets me in trouble.

Dr. Christiane Northrup (who writes so wonderfully about menopause) explains it very simply that some of the things she used to be able to eat she just can't now (even 'good' carbs like brown rice). Kind of a big girl approach. Perhaps it's true for me that my body doesn't metabolize certain carbs well anymore. What's MORE true is that I get all triggery (and eat much more than I should) and then feel pretty gross afterwards... sluggish, etc.

Re the weighing: I've tried it all and weighing every day works for me. I'd rather focus on talking about any emotional response I might have to take the power out of it. I have a history of denial (otherwise, how in the world did I allow myself to get to 250 pounds???) so without a scale, I will wake up and not FIT into anything (as opposed to noticing my clothes are a bit snug and cutting back like a normal person). :blush:

Congrats on your weight loss -- that's fabulous! And your menus sound yummy!

(Sorry for the long post!!)
3. Raise FICO score by 100 points. Check!

Goals met in '09:
1. Plan/design organic garden. Check!
2. Purchase new car. Check!
3. Get started on P90X. Check!
EvelynM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Hi Evelyn! Thanks for visiting my blog! I like your idea of talking about the results of weighing rather than not weighing. Of course, this morning I jumped on the scale. I couldn't resisit. It is too scary not to monitor it. And I can put a lot of weight on in a very short time if I am not careful. So I am changing my mind about weighing

Sounds like you had great success with BFFM. I am a bit afraid of a 50% carb ratio, but sometimes I wonder if it would work for me. Right now I am trying to find the mix that will allow me to feel ok, and still lose weight. If I go too low with the carbs, I can't function, but too high is not pretty either. I have also been toying with calories. I've been keeping mine up pretty high, with lots of fat. Sometimes it all just feels too hard.

Last night tried making some ice cream. Here's a rough recipe:

1.5 c half and half
.5c heavy cream
dash salt
3 eggs
1/8 tsp vanilla
1 c strawberries

It came out ok. It tasted good, but never really got all that hard. And it was not creamy. Also, I put the strawberries in towards the end, and I couldn't taste them much because they were so cold. Next time I will blend up the berries with some water or cream and put them in in the beginning. Of course I ended up overeating this ice cream. I am starting to wonder if I am getting a little out of control with the cream. I think I wanted this ice cream a little too much

I am feeling a bit down this weekend because my kids are visiting their Dad, and I am a lonely. Each time they go it gets harder and harder for me. I miss them, and feel down and don't want to do anything (but eat ice cream) even though there are tons of things I could be doing. They will return this Thursday, so only a few more days.

Today I am going to the local farmers market. I want to try and eat more local produce and avoid GM foods as much as I can.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Wonder what would happen

if I keep raising my calories up? Does that seem like a stupid question? What if I raised up my calories slowly? Would I gain weight? Could you imagine if my body adjusted and burned more calories to match the increased amount of food? And my weight stayed the same? AND I would get more energy because my body was trying to burn off the excess calories?

If high insulin causes one to gain weight, which is what most low carbers believe, then raising calories by eating more fat should not cause me to gain, right? And then to take it to the next step, after I have raised my calories as much as I can without gaining, then I could do cycling. But it wouldn't be like cycling between 1200 and 1500 calories, it would be like cycling between 2000 and 2500 calories. Or between 2500 and 3000. Wonder if that would work?

Just wondering
Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Karen! How was the rest of your weekend? What are you looking for in terms of calorie intake? Have you been keeping your calories low? (I know you said Schwarzbein focuses on counting carbs only.) When you did BFFM, did you figure out your calorie requirements for maintenance and loss? As I remember, mine were much higher than what I used. Cycling worked very well for me. I did 1,200 to 1,400 for 3 days and then would bump it up for one day (didn't even count and ate whatever I wanted) and then went back down for three days. This zig zag worked miracles for me. I don't know if it was the science of it (glycogen depletion and replenishment as Venuto swears by) or if it was simply that it kept me on plan. Now that I'm moving into menopause, I'm not sure my body would respond the same way so I haven't tried that yet. I need to stick to a lower carb menu consistently for awhile, I think.

Sorry you were having a tough time with your kids gone. How many children do you have? How old are they? They're with dad for over a week? Ok, that's enough questions for now.

How's today going?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Hi Evelyn!

I have 2 kids, son aged 12 and daughter aged 16 (next week!). They went to their Dad's on June 25 and are returning this Thursday. Their Dad is in NC and I am in NY. I miss them Can't wait til they get back, just a few more days. Do you have any kids?

I did do the calcs according to TV. If I recall correctly my maint was around 2100 and to lose around 1700. That was moderate activity, which I am no longer doing. I am having back and foot pain, so I am not exercising like I was then.

I went down to visit a friend in NC who I did Atkins with back in 1999. She got me back into low carb thinking and so I tried it again. Then came the disastrous "ketosis sickness" as I call it. Very low carb is like torture for me. Then I started looking at some programs like Eat Fat, Get Thin, which recommend high fat, mod protein and low carb. Since i upped my fat, I have been maintaining. I think these programs need to be very low carb, and I am not able to do that. So then I happened upon SB. There are too many programs, I get confused. Lately I have been eating maint calories. So I am stuck, but at least I am maintaining my 14 lb loss.

So when you did the cycling, how much weight did you lose per week on average? I would be happy with 1 pound/week. But I am afraid of going that low in calories. Was it hard? I am such a baby when I have to go around hungry. Hence the attraction to eating high fat and losing weight. That is probably just a gimmick, but it sure sounds good, doesn't it? At least you got to eat whatever you wanted every 4th day when you were cycling, right? Did it keep you from feeling deprived? When you cycled that low, were you eating low fat or low carb? Now it is my turn to ask a lot of questions

I went to my second physical therapy appt today. It went well. But I am still having trouble with my foot. I had an xray to see if I am getting plantar fasciitis. They said my foot was fine, but something else is going on. Last night I took the dogs for a walk for over an hour. When I got back I noticed a bruise on the top of my foot. I noticed it there before and it went away. I think the walking is what's causing it. I may have something else going on like a stress fracture.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Here's what I am eating today:

Bfast: 3 eggs, scrambled in 1 tbsp coconut oil'
1/3 c oats (measured uncooked)
1/2 c sliced strawberries
1 tbsp heavy cream
decaf w/ halfnhalf

Lunch: salad w/ romaine, radish, cukes, sunflower seeds, steak and oil and
vinegar dressing. Orange

Dinner: Red Lobster YUM I'll probably have a broiled seafood platter with salad and mashed potatoes. Did I say YUM?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I skipped breakfast today. And I am still here! That is a rule that I have followed religiously for 5 years, never skip breakfast, because it is the most important meal of the day. Is that true? I don't know, but I wasn't a bit hungry and didn't feel like eating this morning, so I didn't. Oh, did I mention that I was up another pound today? Guess that answers my question about what happens if I eat more calories

I am so tired of all these diets with their rules and measurements. I feel like my head is spinning. And I can't seem to stick to any program. Before a week has gone by after starting a new "program" I am off on a tangent and trying something else. Ugh! I am frustrated I have diet ADD. It is really a problem, and I am tired of being obsessed with all this.

I am not going to make some sweeping announcement about what I am going to do next. I don't know what I am going to do next. I'll eat today when I get hungry. Period.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karennic View Post
So when you did the cycling, how much weight did you lose per week on average? I would be happy with 1 pound/week. But I am afraid of going that low in calories. Was it hard? I am such a baby when I have to go around hungry. Hence the attraction to eating high fat and losing weight.
Hi, Karen.

Hope you don't mind me popping in. The title to your journal intrigued me, and here I am.

I share many similarities that you guys have mentioned here regarding going too low on carbs, among others.

As for cycling, could I suggest that when keeping your cals "lower" for those few days before cycling up, you need to find that magic "number" that maintains a balance for you, to keep you from getting hungry. The macros are far more important than most people realize, and they're different for everybody, variables from A to Z. You need to find that balance of macronutrients that keeps you satisfied from meal to meal. If I go too low in one mac, I can sense the "imbalance," almost as soon as the last bite of that meal has gone in my mouth.

Secondly, if you implement TV's mini-meals theory, keep in mind, you're eating every 3 hrs, hardly long enough to get too hungry.

Thirdly, I've found protein whey powder (use your favorite brand) to be a great supplement for in between times when I either need a fast meal, or just something to scare away the hungries. It's lean protein. It's a great option.

So bottom line, keep tweaking with your macs. Track your food carefully, and listen very keenly to your body when you eat. Learn what YOUR body needs, and when you fig our those numbers, you can more successfully cycle with your cals (low, low, low, high) and thus keep that metab revved the way you want it.

Best of luck to you.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Karen. I'm smiling at your diet ADD. That could describe a lot of people here. When I did the zig-zag, it was very easy. My ratios were 50-30-20. That's NOT 50 carb like you thought but 50 protein. 30 carbs and 20 fat. The calories weren't that low ... 1200 to 1400 and every fourth day I didn't count but were definitely 2,000+. As I said, I might do it again but I think my body has gotten worse at metabolizing carbs so I'm gonna ease into it. I don't understand the plan you're on (i.e., the orange and the mashed potatoes). What ratios do you get when you put this into ******?

Sorry to hear about your foot. When do you find out if it IS a stress fracture?

I have three children, all adult. My sons are 29 and 25 and my daughter is 21. I remember sending them off to their dad's. We always lived in the same town (Los Angeles) but it was very hard to send them off. It DOES get better!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Hi Twyla! Thanks for the suggestions on calorie cycling. Stop by any time .

Evelyn, I saw on your previous post that you did say it was 50% protein. I got confused because TV recommends 50C-30P-20F to start with, so I thought that's what you were doing. Do you think that is true what he says about the body becoming less efficient at processing carbs? I wonder where he got that from??? That definitely made me sit up and take notice when I read his book this last time.

Mashed potatoes and oranges. Yes, I eat carbs because I don't feel well if I don't. These seem to be healthy choices to me, especially since I LOVE mashed potatoes and don't know if I could ever give them up. I am irish and grew up in a house where potatoes were on the menu at least 3x per week.

I am trying to focus more on eating when I am hungry and stopping when satisfied. I'm thinking I will eat less that way, rather than forcing myself to eat at a specific time even if I am not hungry. This makes sense to me. In the past, I have run into problems with intuitive eating, because part of it is legalizing all foods. I have learned that this just does not work. If I eat cookies and cakes and ice cream, I totally lose my hunger signals. I am going to forget about that part of it, and try to eat when hungry, but eat good stuff. I find myself questioning all these rules. Are they all necessary? Which ones are right and which are wrong, because many of them contradict each other. It all has become tiresome, but I am not going to quit and give up. I will press on. I was down 2 lbs today. Seems my weight is jumping around a bit.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Karen - Your weight might be jumping around but it's headed in the right direction! I 'ended up' with 50% protein because that's what WORKED for me. I don't know if what Venuto says about a decreased ability to process carbs is correct. But with so many people gaining weight when adding carbs back in, it does give me pause. However, when the people who regain are completely honest, they didn't just start incorporating healthy carbs ... they were face down in Kit Kats or buckets of other sugary substances, right? Still, my body doesn't respond as well to carbs as it used to. PLUS, the doctor said he thought I had candida and so white potatoes, fruits, etc. are out (IF I want it to go away). Back to Venuto, my understanding is that he believes that good carbs should be a part of one's diet. That makes sense to me. I'm certainly incorporating my oatmeal again, which I LOVE! But I find that I'm turned off of fruit (after I abstained for a month or so). Isn't it interesting what the body stops craving?

I did the 'Normal Eating' thing and it was a bit disastrous for me. Because of what you said ... legalizing everything. Dude, all food is not created equal. And, pee esss, I ate sweet potatoes (I LOVE 'em) like four days a week when I was on BFFM and they never stalled me.

Yes, so many diet theorists contradict each other. We must find what works for US. I don't really need ****** anymore because I really KNOW the ratios at this point. However, it IS good for me to keep track of the food I eat because it helps keep me accountable. I do not want to be obsessed with food (macronutrients, ratios). It's just another form of disordered eating, in my never too humble opinion.

What I loved about TV was his recommendation of finding what WORKS for you. But he (and Atkins and others) always said, stop jumping around. STICK with something for weeks or months before you decide. Don't blame a plan if you ain't workin' da plan. That was always my downfall. Oh, three days and I haven't lost weight? Better change something!

Ok, back to my journal to catch up!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Hey, we are so on the same page with all of this stuff! Ditto what you said!!!

I wondered the same thing about the not processing carbs stuff. I lost about 30 lbs on atkins in 1999, eventually gaining the 30 back plus another 40. Did that low carb stint cause or make worse that weight gain? I don't know, but it sure made me wonder. But you are absolutely right, I was eating crap when I gained, as well as quitting some addictions that I had.

I have decided to try to do the normal eating thing, but part of it, in my opinion, is to find what works for you. And cakes and cookies and ice cream do not work for me at all. They trigger cravings and give me stomach aches. But if I really really want them, I might just indulge myself and pay the price. I will take it on a case by case basis. I get really crazy obsessed sometimes with this stuff. I mean, does it REALLY need to be so complicated? I agree that it is another form of disordered eating. And I do the same thing you described, jump from plan to plan. Diet ADD!! I remember back in 1986, I lost about 30 lbs by eating only when hungry. It worked great! I would usually eat a good lunch and a light dinner. And I was doing aerobics every day, which I'm sure was key. The other thing I did was cycle. I would eat more on the weekends and less during the week. I did this naturally, not deliberately, just because of my lifestyle. My biggest fear about normal eating is that I tend to not get hungry and go for long periods without eating. And this is a real no-no in some circles.

I am so frustrated with my doctors office. I have been playing phone tag with them all week. ARGH! She said there are no fractures in my foot, so I don't know what the heck is wrong with my foot. She also said I had "arthritic changes" in my back, whatever that means. I'm afraid I was a bit rude to the receptionist yesterday, but come on!! I am not that hard to get a hold of.

Kids are home, YAY!!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karennic View Post
I have done low carb in the past with some success, back in 1999. Since then I gained all my weight back plus and have never been able to get low carb to work since then. My problem has been that I just feel so terrible on low carb. I get heart palps and am totally wiped out. I have a hard time functioning at all, let alone having enough energy to exercise.
I get just like this on very low carb. I've also been reading the Schwarzbein books. I'm currently eating a little bit lower in carbs than she says, but I do feel better when I eat small meals more often, and keep my carbs over 50g at least (but not much over 100). I'm just going into menopause, so I've got all that hormone stuff going on too. Good luck in picking your way through it all to find the right plan for you .
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:54 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Hi Ailuros!

. Thanks for stopping by. It is good to know that I am not the only one who feels bad on low carb. I wonder if some of it has to do with our age. I am 46 and going into menopause here soon as well. It just goes to show you that you need find what is right for you, your body and your psyche. Thanks for the encouragement .
Old 07-11-2008, 06:01 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Today's Food

This morning I was off to work with just some water. I had a cup of black decaf, and then about 7:30 I had an apple, some cheddar cheese and some almonds. I wasn't really hungry but was not feeling too good. That may be a sign in itself that it was time to eat. I feel better now having eaten that. Lunch will be some yummy buffalo wings I made last night, if my son doesn't get to them first. Either that or 1/2 a cornish hen. I am looking forward to having some roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli with butter to go along with my chicken. And strawberries topped with heavy cream for dessert. Yum! I have no idea what I will have for dinner yet.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:14 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Karen - 1999 was when I started Atkins and working out as well! And I never really had a weight problem (even after three pregnancies) until I quit MY addictions -- alcohol and drugs. My drug of choice was speed (which I picked up while working on my dissertation) and which, I'm sure, helped me to be a size 8/10. The first year and a half or so after I got sober, I gained about 75 lbs and kept ballooning until I hit 250. That just sounds so insane to me right now. I was wearing 3x's...

Just like with my drug/alcohol addictions, I have to take this ONE.DAY.AT.A.TIME!

Happy the kids are home! Are you still using ***********? I agree. Obsession about the numbers makes it worse. But I'm an alcoholic (sober 18 years now) and denial is not just a river ....

Old 07-12-2008, 03:42 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Wow, more parallel paths! Were we sisters in a past life? There were times back in the 90's where I lived on stimulants, coffee, cigarettes and alcohol (I know this is a depressant, but I am lumping them together). At the end of 98I decided to go on Atkins diet and then within a few weeks my husband cried "I'm leaving, I need my space" translation "I'm having an affair"! I lost down to my ideal weight, but I was drinking and smoking and drinking coffee at the time. Did you know I could drink a whole bottle of wine and still be in ketosis ? And I don't need to tell you the stress that that situation put me in.

I am back to reading Scwarzbein (I am going to write SB from now on, it is really hard to type her name). Anyways, here is a blurb from her first book about stimulants and weight gain:

"The Stimulant Trap:

People who have destroyed their metabolism (and thus developed early insulin resistance) by using stimulants will always gain weight when they stop using stimulants. The weight gain is generally not caused by overeating but by a metabolic backlash: stimulants artificially rev up the metabolism by enhancing adrenaline. Among other functions, adrenaline is a protein-utilizing hormone. This means that high levels of adrenaline, or stimulants that enhance adrenaline, will waste away your lean body mass and prevent your body from storing fat in the fat cells. At the same time, stimulants decrease appetite so that normal feedback mechanisms for satiety are thrown off, and your brain responds that it is satiated long before your body has met its nutritional needs. Because stimulants both enhance adrenaline and suppress appetite, the body burns lean mass for energy and becomes protein deficient; as a result you become malnourished.
Furthermore, because you no longer have a fat and protein-burning stimulant in your system, your true insulin-resistant state emerges...."

Pretty powerful stuff, and explains the 70 lb weight gain I experienced after going off atkins and stimulants. I don't remember exactly when I went off atkins but I quit all my addictions in 2002. I packed on 50 lbs in a matter of 6months or so. It was like a runaway train. I was using sugar to console myself as a substitute at that time, which I'm sure made it all even worse.

Looking back at that time, after having read some SB, shines a light on just how bad I was abusing my body! I was using stimulants, went on a very low carb diet (which also causes high adrenaline) and then went through a stressful breakup of my marriage, which also screws up your hormones. Whew, no wonder I was a mess at that time. Luckily for me, I discovered Radiant Recovery and was at least paying attention to eating well, even though I could never completely stop my periodic binges on sugar. Now I know I was having reactions to wheat, which was keeping me unbalanced. I believe that that stomach pain I was experiencing from eating grains drove me to binge to feel better.

I have come a long way since then. On the positive side, now I don't eat any grains except oats, which I LOVE. My diet is almost all whole foods. I have learned to put yummy, balanced meals together by following radiant recovery. But that program is another diet to me, and I had some problems with it. I have come to believe the adage "take what you want and leave the rest". All programs can teach you something, but if I start being religious about a diet, I eventually run into problems. I have to follow my own path. I need to know the background and science behind things, I don't like to follow things blindly just because some expert told me to. I need to test it out and see if it works for me. Learning that has been a long journey, in itself. SB is very good about explaining the hormonal interactions and such. She doesn't just say "do this, do that", but tells you why.

Back to the present. So my latest tangent off into eating when I am hungry was a bust. Skipping breakfast is definitely not a good way to go for me. It causes adrenaline to be released, as well, and more imporantly, I don't feel well even though I don't experience hunger. Maybe my hunger signal is not feeling well . That is another learning process. The toughest part to handle is that I am losing weight doing this. That's ok, I am still going to go back to three meals. I am not going to do more than three, unless i am starving between meals. The secret is eating enough at each meal so that I can make it to the next without a snack, and with a slight bit of hunger. I have practiced this a lot and know the ballpark amount.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:54 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I am still struggling with whether or not to log my food in ***********. I decided that I will log my food here so that I don't get the calories and carb grams and such, because I don't want to get caught up in macros and grams and such. I know SB wants you to count carb grams, but I don't think it is necessary for me, because I am eating whole foods and can guesstimate pretty easily how much I need. If this does not work, I will start counting again. Using SP to log food is too diety.

I have not abandoned the intuitive eating thng, I am still doing that. I just learned that my hunger does not always manifest itself in the feeling that I have traditionally labeled "hunger". It can mean feeling spacey (what I am coming to learn is the feeling of adrenaline being released in my body) or a headache, or tightness is my neck. I think you have to somewhat train your body to get hungry on a schedule. Even though IE does not advocate eating by the clock, if you get the correct amounts of the right foods, you can fashion it that way. See what I mean about making programs work for you?

So breakfast this morning will be steel cut oats with a chopped up apple and cinnamon, 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil with spinach,and decaf with heavy cream.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Karen - Definitely twin daughters of different mothers! A LOT of similarities. I love the extent of your knowledge. Isn't it amazing how much we learn? And, like you, I can not get obsessive. Life's too short!

I read the article in some woman's magazine about the woman who win Biggest Loser this season. She looks great but for the life of me, how does one justify an 8-lb a week weight loss as healthy? Well, working out 8 hours a day could certainly do the trick but what happens to their metabolisms??

Keep up the good work!
Old 07-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I wondered the same thing about the biggest loser contestants. Ali looked strong in her body, but her face looked kind of stressed out to me. That whole experience has to be damaging, in my opinion.

I am continuing with my reading of SB2 The Transition. She goes into detail about the major hormones: adrenaline, insulin, and cortisol. One of the things she says is that you have to get healthy to lose weight, not lose weight to get healthy (or something along those lines). It is definitely a different way to look at it, and against the mainstream idea of lose weight=>get healthy. In other words, she advocates getting balanced meals in place to balance your hormones. And when your hormones are balanced, the weight will come off. I have done a lot of things that have knocked me out of balance:stimulants, low carb dieting, meal skipping, not handling stress, not exercising, overexercising. I wonder if all this diet obsession causes stress in the body as well, probably so I would guess.

Yesterday I had:

Lunch: chicken breast, yams with butter, green beans with butter and strawberries and cream.

It was nice to have a meal like this at lunch. My kids and I all sat at the kitchen table and played a game. We would each hum a tune and the others had to guess what song it is. FUN!!

Dinner: pork roast, mashed potatoes, cabbage fried in coconut oil, strawberries and cream

Evening snack (i was starved) apple and natural peanut butter.

This morning I had:

Steel cut oats with apple and cinnamon, 2 eggs fried in coconut oil.

Yesteday my hunger was in line with my normal mealtimes. I was not hungry for bfast (never am) and by the time both lunch and dinner rolled around I was very hungry and ready to eat. Last night I struggled with whether or not to have a snack. I felt kind of weak and yukky, so i went ahead and had something.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I'm going to have to buy this Schwarzbein book. I was trying to avoid it. I liked Dr. Platt's book on hormone imbalance, etc. (I saw his colleague in the desert in April.) I must admit, I was still looking for a bit of a magic bullet (secretly).

I absolutely agree that we must get healthy and THEN the weight will come off. Like we've noted, people don't generally regain their weight by eating healthily. And, at my age, there's a lot of health considerations that should be front burner, rather than weight loss.

I was happy that while I did have hypothyroidism, my blood pressure was great and my adrenals were great ... no elevation in cortisol.

So, at the very LEAST, all that working out (even while my food wasn't in it's place) did SOMETHING very positively for me.

I LOVED that you played 'Name that Tune' with the kids. Family meals are so important ... you're building great memories with them.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I totally agree with the concept that there are many more important things besides weight loss, like sleep, happiness, quality of life, energy, vitality among others. When a diet takes these things away from me, which many do, it is not worth it. Sometimes I forget that, though, and get desperate to lose the weight no matter what I have to go through. I truly believe that poor diet exacerbates this desperate feeling and when I eat well, I feel better and I don't care so much about the weight.

Evelyn, If you get one of the SB books, I recommend the first book. The second has some good info, too, but is a bit confusing and disjointed.

Yesterday I had;

apple + nat pb
chicken breast, yams and green beans
Cheeseburger no bun, cauli w/ butter and fried potates with ketchup.

After dinner I was still hungry and had some cashews and a cup of chai tea with heavy cream. I think I might have been hungry because I didn't eat my usual breakfast, and lunch was sort of low fat. By dinner I was not feeling well at all, and had gone past the point I should've eaten.

Last night my back was hurting again, as I have slacked off on my back exercises.

Today I had:
Bfast:
2 eggs scrambled with spinach in coconut oil
Oatmeal with cream and cinnamon
decaf w/cream

morning snack:
Almonds

Lunch:
Chicken breast, cauli w/butter, mashed potatoes
Banana cream pie for dessert (oops-it was yummy, no guilt here!)
Old 07-16-2008, 03:48 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday I had way too much food at lunch. I felt full and uncomfortable. I had some tortilla chips for snack, definitely eaten mindlessly and not planned, and then an apple with pb for dinner. I think I made some progress yesterday because in the past, whenever I overeat like that, I end up bingeing. Something about having all that food in my stomach makes me want to keep eating and eating. I don't really understand it. But by early evening I felt comfortable again, and just hungry enough for the apple, but not for a whole meal. I did have cravings all afternoon, though, but had enough awareness and forethought to think, I am craving cuz I overate, and it will go away. And it did!

This morning I ate:
2 eggs cooked in coconut oil
oatmeal with cream and fresh blueberries
Decaf with 1/2 and 1/2

I ordered a callanetics tape or dvd from the library to see what it is like. Since I am not even able to walk for exercise right now because of my foot, I thought I would try this, it seems to be gentle. And it might even help with my back pain. I am back on track with the exercises for my back.

One more thing, I have decided that I am not buying any more pork roast or tenderloin. I mean, YUK! Seems they have taken all the fat off the pigs these days, and the meat tastes dry and, well... tasteless. It's a shame. I will buy a pork shoulder, as there is still plenty of fat on those. They are great to cook up in a crockpot.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Karen. Good job recognizing what was going on and STOPPING. Live and learn, live and learn, live and learn, right?

I really like Callanetics. Which one are you going to try? I have the Super Callanetics. I always forget to do it. It's gentle but FIERCE -- like The Bar Method or Lotte Berk. You'll FEEL those exercises .... especially in the inner musculature ...
Old 07-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

I just ordered the original tape from the library to try it out. I am curious.

Not doing well today. My son made chocolate chip cookies last night and I had an epidsode. Feel crappy today.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shake it off.

You're fine.

You don't FEEL fine but feelings are not facts.

You're fine. What are you going to do for yourself TODAY?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Haven't written in awhile. I am taking a bit of a break, and have been reading up on some IE books, Intuituve Eating and Thin Within. I have been eating some previously forbidden foods, but have been concentrating on hunger and fullness. I have a long way to go, but want to explore this way of eating again to see if I can't learn some more. There are a lot of tricks my mind plays on me regarding eating, and i am trying to sort it all out.

I am having hot flashes for the first time, that is not good:blush:.