Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karennic
Stats: 206/199/125
WOE: Crack the fat loss code
Start Date: September 13
Thanks for the welcome, cfine. Yes it is work! Especially since I have a talent for making things more complicated than they are sometimes.
Karennic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Quick update. Today I am feeling a bit woozy, like I remember feeling in ketosis. This weekend I ate a ton but kept my carbs pretty low, except saturday night. I overate cream, which always is a downfall for me. I need to strictly measure cream, I think I could drink it by the gallon! I am also feeling hot and sweaty. And tired again. Its been a week since I got my p and I am out of the energetic feeling I get during that week. Also, could be that my ex sprung himself on me and my daughter is going off to college this coming weekend. Lots of changes!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday I felt woozy in the morning and then as the day went on I felt better and better. No appetite, no woozy. I'm amazed at how much better I feel this time. Trying to think of what is different this time from the many times I tried and failed to do low carb because I felt so horrid. some ideas:

I am taking an antidepressant
I am taking magnesium and vitamin D
I am not eating as much meat
I am eating more salt, sea salt, and nu salt (potassium)
I am older and wiser hehe

I dunno but I am going to roll with it. The other symptom that I am not having anymore is poor sleep. I am definitely not sleeping as much as I did before low carb, ie I don't get tired at night and can stay up later. But when I do sleep I sleep well and have vivid dreams. when I did low carb before I had sleep disturbances and did not sleep well at all. I know the anti-d helped immensely in that regard, and that was the biggest benefit I got from taking it. Not sleeping is a bear!

And another thing! I am not fatigued. I did notice my muscles get tired faster but I don't have that bone dead tired feeling like I did last time low carbing. My mood is happier and more optimistic. Low carb in the past made me depressed.

I ate some ground flaxseed the day before yesterday and will continue with that to balance my omega-3 and -6 FAs. I think it may help with menopausal symptoms as well. I noticed that when I eat well-meaning veggies fruits and no junk, my periods become regular and no hot flashes. However when I go off and eat a bunch of junk, i get hot flashes and my period is delayed. Interesting! I totally believe you can influence the course of menopause with diet. Before this stint on low carb I was doing weight watchers and eating a lot of fruits and veggies. My periods got normal and I stopped hot flashing.

Yesterday I did feel hot but its not even time for me to start hot flashing, since it usually starts when I supposed to be ovulating and I don't. One more week and we will see what happens with that.

Yesterday I didn't eat much at all:

coffee with heavy cream
2 hardboiled eggs
Salad with cheese and oil and vinegar dressing
diet soda (1)

appetite was nil. so I went with it, although I always wonder if that is a good idea and if it will come back to bite me later. But then again, why eat when you are not hungry? I have so many food rules in my head, ugh! We'll see how today goes...

Last edited by Karennic; 08-21-2012 at 03:55 AM..
Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Oh another weird thing. I checked my stix yesterday and they were not even trace pink. But I think I was in ketosis based on what I ate plus how I felt. And I def had that keto-breath. Wonder if my body is using the ketones for fuel instead of spilling into my urine? I had plenty to drink yesterday but I don;t think it was enough to totally flood out the ketones. Interesting.... I will keep monitoring.

I weighed today and I am on the cusp of the 170s. I have not been able to break through to the 170s forever!! FOREVER! I am psyched!!! WOOT!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

I didn't sleep well last night. Its probably partly because my daughter just went off to college and my Dad is in the hospital, so I had a lot to think about. I also had that full feeling in my throat when I woke in the middle of the night. I wonder what causes that? I suspect that cream cheese, HWC dessert might have done it. I will pay attention. That is my guilty pleasure dessert, it is soo yummy. I put 2 oz of cc and 1/4 cup HWC plus a smidge of vanilla and a packet of splenda. It really satisfies my ice cream craving. And its legal, lol. I feel guilty eating it however. But I am going to continue eating it unless I am hopelessly stalled or have problems. I was also having hot flashes last night. When I was doing my stint of green veggie juices before this my period got really regular with no hot flashes. Hopefully I am not going to start having them again. I think it is linked to how good my diet is.

I feel a bit woozy today. I feel a bit dehydrated and will try to really hydrate throughout the day today. It could also be because of poor sleep.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Uck. Feel like crap. My brain has shut down and sleep eludes me. Time to raise up carbs a bit. I am not going to do what I have done in the past, which is throw up my hands, quit and start eating lots of carbs. I am going to raise carbs until I feel better using fruits and then starchy veggies. I lost some weight and I am NOT going to let it come back. I will be watching calories, adding in fruit and monitoring my sleep and foggy head.

I am adding back in my green smoothy this morning. Spinach, carrots, blueberries, flaxseed...
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

I have been reading about the perfect health diet. I am going to add in potatoes, tapioca, white rice and fruit. I really need to continue tracking religiously so I can see what is going on. I was going to eat potatoes for dinner but sat down on the couch when I got home from work and ate about 1/2cup of peanut butter out of the jar. That sort of took care of my appetite for the rest of the day. I am hoping this plan will help me with cravings. I also realize that when I am sleep deprived I seem to have less abililty to resist cravings or just impulse eating. Hopefully tonight I will sleep better.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Well that didn't happen. My son was booming around the house around midnight and woke me up and i stayed up for quite a while. Had anxiety. Hate anxiety, which is exacerabted by ketosis for some reason. I have read that ketosis can help with some mental health disorders, but it makes my anxiety and depression worse.

I will be shooting for the following macros: 65%f, 20%c, 15% protein or thereabouts. I am excited to give this a go. I've already got my day planned out on an online tracker. I went back to making green drinks for bfast. My drink this am consists of kale, banana, blueberries, beets and flaxseeds. I bought a few supplements yesterday as per PHD: a multi, chromium picolinate, vit C, and I already have b complex, magnesium and vit D. I generally don't take a lot of supplements but I will give it a try.
This morning I am already feeling very energetic. Wonders what a little healthy carbs will do. I am also going to follow the recommendation of intermittant fasting. I will eat in an 8 hour window- 10 am to 6 pm. That will be easy. I have my coffee first thing in the morning with cream. It satisfies til 10.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

i'm starting back on strict induction 1972 style. I have read recently that salt definitely has an effect on how you feel doing low carb. I am hoping this is the key to my feeling like crap on low carb. the other thing I must address is sleep. I also read that 5-htp might help with that so i am considering giving it a try.

I have been low carbing for a few weeks now but have been eating a lot of cream and xylitol. I have not been able to get past small on my stix. I am committing to just two tbsp of cream in my coffee and nixing the xylitol for a while. I have been using it for my teeth, supposedly it can remineralize your teeth. But I want to give it a rest just to get my weight loss started. I have lost a few pounds since starting up a few weeks ago, but i am bouncing around a bit.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Just wanted to share an update. I am still doing low carb and have been keeping my carbs very low with plenty of fat. One good thing that happened is that I stopped hot flashing, which I have been doing for at least six months, constantly! This is a great development.

My weight has really not changed, and keeps bouncing around between 186-190. I am wondering if I am retaining water until I get my TOM, which I am expecting since the flashing stopped. Here are some things I want to concentrate on and keep steady:

Keep carbs between 20-40 so that i am in ketosis.
Up my veggies
start a walking program aiming for 30 minutes a day
stay the course and don't get discouraged
take all my supplements (vit d, fish oil, chromium, coq10, mg, vit c, multi)
eat when hungry, but don't let myself get ravenous and light headed

I think i get impatient because i expect the weight to come off quickly like it did when i first did atkins. It doesn't work that way any more. I feel better eating the way. No cravings, not as tired, although I am still tired! I have been tracking online and will continue doing that.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

I woke up last night with a pounding heart that felt like an adrenaline rush. Wonder if it is low blood sugar or a bad dream or what? That can't be good for me. I searched on the forum and someone said it could be low potassium. I need to be more diligent about taking some nu salt every day. I did have a half teaspoon in my boullion yesterday.

I struggle sometimes with ketosis because I have no appetite and I think if I am undereating calories I will get this type of reaction. Low mood, low energy, bad sleep. I get confused because I have read that the reason this works for weight loss is because you are able to eat less because of low appetite. Yesterday my ketone strips were dark purple. I am also feeling dehydrated. Must drink more water.... Again, eating more veggies may help me feel better.