Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karennic
Stats: 206/199/125
WOE: Crack the fat loss code
Start Date: September 13
This intuitive eating this is darn near impossible! As I wade through the books and the blogs, I am coming to realize that IE is just another diet plan in many ways. There are rules to follow and that is where I get into trouble. I think I am always trying to do my program-of-the-week perfectly. So the problem rests in my thinking, not the doing. And if I run into a contradiction, I get confused or I begin to doubt the program. I guess I will treat it like anything else, take what works and leave the rest. I like the idea of eating when hungry and stopping when full. I'll take that. I'm NOT going to add in foods like sugar and white flour and most grains in order to follow someone else's "plan"!

Is it ridiculous that I find myself eating foods that I have given up because I decided they do bad things to me (like sugar)? All in the name of preventing deprivation? I think there is a very real chemical reaction that happens in my body when I eat sugar. It is not just a bad habit, as one of the IE "gurus" wrote in her blog. She said there is no such thing as sugar addiction, and it just pissed me off!! I think anyone who has not experienced something should not make blanket statements that apply to everyone. How many people who are not addicts even begin to understand the plight of the addict? They JUST DON'T GET IT! For some reason that just triggered my anger. I have heard over and over that alcohol is like liquid sugar, and they both affect the body and brain in the same way, metabolically. I know I can get a serious buzz off a big piece of cake .

My sister is definitely an intuitive eater, and is at a healthy weight. Most days she skips breakfast, and many times lunch. She eats when she is hungry, foods that she loves. So yesterday she came over and I announced that my latest "thing" is eating when I am hungry and stopping when I am full. She looked at me dumbfounded and said, "what else is there"? I loved that, she has NO IDEA!!! I wonder if I can become like her after I have been me all this time? Is it possible?
Karennic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: EvelynM
Stats: 22-24/14-16/8-10
WOE: BFFM/P90X
Karen - that's so funny about your sister. It's the same with anyone who doesn't 'get' it because they don't 'have' it, you know?

There's a huge difference for us -- for people who have histories of addictions/compulsive behaviors, disordered eating, etc. There.just.is.

I read an article in Fitness magazine yesterday by Jackie Warner (well, an interview with her). She was saying how she has people do a diet plan for 5 days a week and then have a 'splurge' meal on Saturday and one on Sunday. That way, she says, you don't feel deprived and it's easy and blah blah blah. Uh, no. It's not always like that.

So many factors come into play. I'm looking back at what I did that WORKED and starting from there. One day at a time!

3. Raise FICO score by 100 points. Check!

Goals met in '09:
1. Plan/design organic garden. Check!
2. Purchase new car. Check!
3. Get started on P90X. Check!
EvelynM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

I have been bingeing a bit these last few days. Still trying to get a hold on myself with the food. Tomorrow I will plan a good food day with three good solid meals containing protein, veggies and starch. This experiment with sugar has ended as they all do, with a lack of control and backsliding. I have an allergyto something, be it wheat or sugar and it causes skin and tummy troubles, which have returned rather quickly. No worries, back to sensible balanced eating for me. That IS the name of this blog, after all!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Karen.

Yeah, I always 'pass' those sugar tests with flying colors. Congratulations, Evelyn, you're right. It's BAD for you!

Granulated cocaine.

Even though some people have the same reaction to evaporated cane juice or brown rice syrup or fruit-juice sweetened organic desserts, I don't. I don't know why.

So, I can incorporate these treats on my 'up' or 'high' or 'refeed' days and it's fine. But pretty much have to shut the door on the junk.

Skin and tummy troubles are no fun. Not.worth.it.

Have a great Sunday!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:46 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

That's great that you can have those other sweet treats. I don't know if I can or not, I have not tried. It seems like it might be a slippery slope.

I am still struggling here. I hate this so much. It seems like such a monumental effort to get back on track. And I am mad at myself because I have been blowing off my back exercises and not sleeping well because my back pain wakes me up every 5 minutes. Duh! I think I am going to do like Evelyn and make a daily list of the things I have accomplished that day. Maybe that will help me focus. Here are some things I am shooting for:

Do Back Exercises
Eat three meals a day
go to bed at a reasonable hour

I couldn't bear the thought of eating hot food this morning, because I was hot! So I made a shake:

Full fat yogurt
1% milk
1/2 banana
spoonful of natural peanut butter
1/3 cup oats
2 eggs

Now I am STUFFED!!! It went down pretty easily, and was very quick and easy to make. I used to drink shakes every day when I did radiant recovery. That was also when I used to have daily bloating and stomach pain. It could have been the protein powder I was using, or I might have still been eating grains. I do not eat protein powder at all any more. We'll see how my tummy does.

My son is off at boy scout camp, so I spent some time with my dau yesterday. We went to see Mamma Mia, it was cute! Unfortunately my kids are not getting along as well as they used to, so it is a bit calmer than usual with my son gone.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sending you a Karen. I know the struggle ...

I tried having the 'egg creams' but each and every time my tummy would get upset. So I stopped. Actually, it sometimes gets upset with protein drinks as well. What I've been doing for the past few days is blending the shake (sans ice) and putting it in a mug and heating it up. I love it this way at night in the winter. Never thought to do it in the summer.

Your kids sound pretty normal for 12 and 16. They'll outgrow it. I promise. My son and daughter (middle son) are 4 years apart. They would be quite scrappy with another at that age. They ADORE each other now ... really love and respect one another. Yes, it WILL happen.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:58 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Hi Evelyn. You know I have the same problem. That shake hits my stomach like a ton of bricks. I had it for two days and then went back to having cooked eggs.

Last night I made a rule: no sleeping on my stomach. I could do side or back. I actually woke up on my back at one point, a miracle. And voila, my back did not ache or keep me up. Guess I am just going to have to stay off my stomach. I am a bit sad, but I will get used to it. It is worth it not to have that pain! Thanks for giving me that heads up. My coworker also said if she slept on her stomach her back would hurt.

My callanetics tape is in transit. Hopefully I will get it today. Honestly I am not too jazzed about it, the first exercise is to hang on a bar. I don't have one. It says to use a door, but I keep picturing the door coming off the hinges!

I have been reading up on Celiac disease. I am finding some very interesting things about CD. I suspect I may have it, just because when my diet is clean and I am off grains and dairy, many of my symptoms go away. I want to get tested and also have my son tested as well. I am back to eating clean, whole natural foods. I feel better already.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Karen - Which Callanetics tape is that? Hanging from a door????? So, this isn't Callan Pinckney? Wait, it must be in order to be called Callanetics, right? It gets easier, sleeping on your back. Good for you for making that rule! And it already started to help! I tell you I swear by those little roll pillows. They make it comfortable to sleep on your back! Also, when sleeping on my side, I still sometimes put a firm pillow between my upper knees/thighs. I remember this from the doctor when I was pregnant with the kids. It aligns your spine or something. What symptoms do you have with grains and dairy? What is an example of a 'clean' daily menu for you?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Hi Evelyn:

Mmmm, lots to cover. First with the Callanetics. Yes, it is Callan Pinckney. I had ordered the book and the tape. The first warmup in the book is hanging from the door. Much to my delight, she left it out of the tape. I just got the tape yesterday. I tried a few exercises, and it seems it will be challenging!

I'm not sure what those pillows you are talking about look like. I have a friend who surrounds her whole body with pillows so she will stay on her back. We went to Myrtle Beach this past spring and she asked for everyone's extra pillows. I thought she was nuts. Now I know why she was doing that! She did say she woke up one day and couldn't get up, and that's why she uses all those pillows. I have been putting a pillow between my legs when I sleep on my side. All this pillow moving gets to be a drag at night, but whatever works, right?

When I eat grains and dairy and sugar(except oats, they are fine) I get bloated and crampy and constipated and gassy. It feels as if my digestive system slows WAYYYY down. I usually go off on a tangent and eat all of those together. I have not been able to isolate which is causing me problems. I think they all do. I get skin eruptions and depression. I crave sweets and can't control my consumption. These are all symptoms of celiac. I had some test when i had my last coloscopy and the dr said I didn't have it. But the diagnosis seems a bit more complicated than a simple blood test. I'll have to call and find out which test he ran. Supposedly these autoimmune diseases run in families, and I've got plenty of first degree relatives that have autoimmune diseases.

A clean diet for me means no grains except oats, no sugar, only fatty dairy, like cream. I also stay away from most processed foods. I eat meat, veggies, fruits, oats, beans, potatoes and fats. When I am low carbing, I cut out the oats, beans and potatoes and fruits, but then I feel like crap. If I stay away from processed condiments, this is pretty much a gluten-free diet.

I'm curious, do you incorporate any of your knowledge of nutrition with your clients? I am firm believer in the mind-body connection and especially that what you eat directly affects your mental health. I think if I cleaned up my sons diet, he would feel tons better. But that is not that easy. I know in my own case, when I eat crap, I feel like crap, mentally and physically.

Today I got the cleaning bug, seems that I am a binge cleaner. That fits right in with me and my extreme ways. I love a clean house.

Anyways, enough blabbling.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

One more thing. I notice that when I eat badly, I get changes in my menstrual cycle. During this last foray into intuitive eating and legalizing all foods, I noticed that I was getting hot flashes. They stopped. This could be a total coincidence, or it could be related. It is definitely something to track. I have also noticed in the past when I was eating poorly my cycles only lasted three weeks, but when I got back with the good eating program, they would spread back out to 4 weeks. I read in one of the articles that early menopause can be caused by celiac.

Sometimes I really think I read too much. But I just have this voracious appetite for this stuff, mostly because I have this fantasy that I can find out how to make myself feel good again. I have hope. I want to feel good and have energy. And honestly I have felt tired for the past 15 years.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:09 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

First of all, I'm about the 'binge cleaning.' That's hilariouis. And totally me.

I don't think you should stop reading. We need to take care of ourselves ... we can enlist the help of doctors but they don't always (often) have the answers. They should be consulted, not followed blindly. (Well, World According to Evelyn ... MY favorite book. )

NO ONE SHOULD BE TIRED ... EXHAUSTED ... ESPECIALLY FOR 15 YEARS. There IS something going on that needs to change.

All of those changes you notice -- with the changes in diet -- those are REAL. The symptoms you list are also symptoms of candida.

To answer your question about the mind-body connection, yes! I advise all of my clients to get a thorough medical check-up, especially when they're depressed enough to be considering medication. I encourage a complete work-up, cleaning up their diet, reducing or eliminating sugar, white flour, caffeine, alcohol, and EXERCISING! THEN we look at medication support.

On the other hand, sometimes what we're looking at is depression (perhaps endogenous or biological, physical) ... and the fatigue is a symptom of THAT. Sometimes people need their seratonin or dopamine levels balanced (with meds) to help them get back on track ...
Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

I am embarassed to say that I am still in the same place I was last year with all of this. I am just coming off my umteenth failed attempt at very low carb, where I lost weight (10 lbs) and got stuck, all the while feeling absolutely horrid. I even went and got schwarzbein out of the library again. I feel like I just go around and around in circles. Ugh.

That's ok, I will press on. I am going to back to balanced eating so I thought I would resurrect the old balance eating blog!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:19 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

So what have I learned and where am I going from here? I don't remember why I stopped posting here. Probably started eating junk again and fell off the wagon. I tend to get fed up with all the conflicting information and just give up.

I learned, hopefully for the last time, that very low carb, atkins style, does not and will not work for me. This last time I convinced myself that I just hadn't given my body enough time to "keto-adapt" because I read that it takes 6 months and not four days, as I had always thought. I am not willing to feel so bad for so long with the hope that one day I will wake up and feel good. I don't believe it. I need to listen to my body.

I learned that intuitive eating is not for me either, because there are so many things that I don't want to put in my body: HFCS, refined flour, msg, trans-fats. If I allow myself to eat anything, I will not be doing myself any favors. And I also believe that when your body is off-balance hormonally, your hunger and fullness signals are not always accurate. I can go a long time without eating or hunger, but I no longer believe that I should necessarily follow my body in that regard. I know for a fact that if I eat breakfast religiously at 7 am, after not too long I will be hungry at that time. So hunger and fullness signals can be manipulated and do not necessarily reflect the most healthy way of eating. Also, the body releases beta-endorphins after a prolonged period of not eating that makes you feel stronger and better. This is protective, just like if you were to cut off your pinky with a knife, your body would be flooded with b endorphin to dull the pain.

I learned that I do not want to diet any more. I am thinking of doing an experiment. I am going to keep increasing my calories in an effort to repair my metabolism. I believe that I am mostly weight-stable, and I won't gain a lot of weight if I do this slowly and properly. My focus will be as follows:

At least 3 meals a day and snacks if I want/need them
Balanced meals consisting of protein, fat, starch and non-starchy veggies, ala schwarzbein.
Minimal to no processed food.
I will try to stick to the following:
Fat:butter, full fat dairy, fatty meat, coconut oil, olive oil
starch: starchy veggies (potatoes, carrots) oats, beans
protein: meat, dairy, nuts
Veggie:Any kind
fruits: minimal
No stimulants, no artificial sweeteners, no grains ( I do have a cup of coffee every morning, which I will switch to decaf)

I am going to try and avoid tracking everything at first, and see how it goes. I hate doing that. I have been taking my temp every morning before I get out of bed and it has been 97.2 consistently. Granted, I have not calibrated the thermometer or anthing, so that is that. But I believe, because of my energy level and tendency towards depression, that my metabolism is in a slow-down. And rather than getting on thyroid meds or exercising a whole lot, I am going to test and see if I eat more, my metabolism will speed up. It makes sense that if my metab slows down due to reduced food intake, that it will speed up in the presence of excess calories. I may gain weight at first, but then once my metabolism is normal, I should be able to lose doing short term calorie cycles.

I will test the results by taking my temp and watching my energy level. These days I am so tired all the time, I go to work, come home and sit down and watch tv the rest of the day. This is my life. I have no interest in anything or energy to do anything. I feel like I have lost myself somewhere along the line. I need to find the answer. I do know that when I was eating according to most of these rules in the past, I have felt better and lost weight. But is was not the kind of fast weight loss you get with low carb initially, and it requires being consistent and strict in certain areas, mostly avoiding sugar and flour. The problem I did have was a whacked-out digestive system, which is why I am not introducing grains. I intuitively sense they are a problem.

As a general guideline, I am aiming for 60 g carbs and 60 g protein. I will add in fats around that, seeking satiety. I may spot check calories,carbs and protein grams, but will not be religious about it.

This morning I had:
1 c coffee with HWC
2 eggs with cheese and mushrooms cooked in coconut oil
1/4 (dry measure) steel cut oats with cinamon and HWC and butter
Old 12-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

This is not as easy as it sounds. I have gotten used to skipping meals and eating when hungry, so going back to a 3 meal a day schedule is tough. Especially breakfast. Yuck! That is one thing I liked about the intuitive eating/intermittent fasting ideas, no forcing yourself to eat breakfast. I couldn't stomach it early this morning so I brought breakfast to work with me. Coffee first, then breakfast. That is something I can work on. Yesterday I did eat right after I got dressed, eggs, oatmeal. I felt like crap all morning. And then I skipped dinner. And I woke up at 3 am with a blood sugar crash and possibly a migraine aura because now I have a headache (which is an unusual symptom for me).

I am now remembering why complex starches are necessary-to keep blood sugar stable, according to Kathleen Desmaisons. I really think her program was a good one, but the way she handles her "community" is very bothersome to me, so I could not stick around. That does not mean I can't re-adopt alot of her ideas, though. I remember when I was on her program and was off grains completely and eating fish oil, I did lose weight. But I could never stay on track, mostly because of terrible digestion issues. I'm going to try to duplicate that, and keep off the grains and watch my stomach. I will avoid artificial stuff like the plague. I was eating alot of protein powders back then, and I think I just couldn't digest them.

I think KD and SP are quite similar programs. SB advocates getting tested and going on replacement hormones or thyroid meds if warranted. Before I do all that, I am going to give myself some time to get my food back in place and see if I see an improvement in mood, energy and sleep. I fully expect to see big improvements, if I can stay on track. I am not putting a lot of restrictions on myself, especially on calories and fats, so I should be able to satisfy myself without too much fuss. I am restricting sugar and white flour and artificials. But I am sort of used to that by now anyhow and it will not take herculean efforts at this point.

So here is what I am planning to eat:

BF: coffee with HWC, eggs fried in coconut oil, mushrooms and cheese, yams with butter and cream and pumpkin pie spice
L: Carolina style pork shoulder, smashed cauliflour and more yams as above, apple if I feel like it.
D: ground beef and veggie with potatoes.

I may throw in the nighttime potato that KD recommends for low seratonin. I know it sounds kooky, but it WORKS!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:10 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Things are going well. I have been sporadic about keeping all my meals balanced. Dinner is tough because by the time dinner time rolls around I am full! As Diana says "food is your friend, now gag it down!" Today I weighed in at 186, which is showing a 3 pound gain, and I have gained a pound a day for the last three days. WOW, that is scary. But it is water weight from adding carbs, just like it is water weight that comes off when carbs are restricted. I have not outgrown my pants at all, which is the real test imo.

I think my lunches have been too large, so I am going to reduce my meals and snacks a bit so I am not so stuffed. The digestion has been ok, no cramps or bloating, but transit time could be a little faster. My carbs have been potatoes, yams and fruit. No grains whatsoever.

I have been eating breakfast at 6:30 after I get to work. This is a bit later than KD says (within an hour of feet hitting the ground) but it is way better than waiting until 10. And yesterday I didn't even have my coffee. The coffee started up again when I started skipping breakfast, and when I eat, I no longer want it. It was a stimulant to wake me up. I had been tapering to decaf for the last few weeks, so giving up caffeine was a piece of cake. Now giving up the cake, that's a different story. Really, with all the holiday junk around, I have not had any sugar cravings at all. It has been wonderful! If I do, I have berries and cream, which is a heavenly dessert and very legal!!

I have not seen improvement yet in my energy level, and the thermometer read 196.9 this morning, so no improvement there, either. Of course I have not been at it long enough to see real changes, so I will press on.

A few nights ago I popped my sacri-iliac joint while rolling over. OUCH. So now I am on advil til it heals. Not sure why it is rearing its ugly head again, probably because I have been spending way too much time sitting on my butt, and not enough time strengthening my core, lol. I have felt very tired. My body feels like dead weight, and I haven't felt like doing a darn thing! I have only been doing this a week, so here's hoping in a few weeks my energy will be up. That is the one thing I am looking forward to the most, feeling energetic and happy again.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:23 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday I made some veggie stew for my veg daughter. It had lima beans, black beans, black-eyed peas, and corn in it, amoung other things. I am having some trouble digesting all those legumes and will not be eating any more legumes for awhile, except peanut butter. The meals were lower in fat than usual, and I feel better ,lighter, slimmer. I also went down slightly in weight.

I think the thermometer is wrong. I might buy another one. It is a digital thermometer. I might buy an old fashioned mercury thermometer.

I'm trying to get into the whole christmas thing, and I am having trouble. It is such a hubub and I think it is ridiculous that people run around like crazy whackos doing all this stuff. Call me a scrooge. I sometimes wonder if it is just my low mood and lack of motivation that makes me such a party pooper. Maybe that will change, but I doubt it.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday was a very difficult day. I slept very poorly the night before and was sooo tired and unmotivated. Everything hurt. Last night I had some blueberries and cream right before dinner and I slept til 5 minutes before my alarm went off. I have been waking early and not able to fall back asleep. I think it is a side effect of low carb-low seratonin. It feels like a blood sugar crash at night, because my heart pounds. I will keep up the bedtime snack and hope that will take care of it. When i don't sleep everything gets worse!

I feel so much better today. The meals are going well, although I cheated and ate 2 peanut butter balls today after lunch. I do feel heavy and tired. Must not cheat! I definitely felt better before I at that crap!

Here are my meals for today:

Bfast (eaten at home within an hour of waking) 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, 1/3 c oats with cinnamon, decaf with heavy cream.

Snack: 2 oz cheddar cheese, and ounce or so of walnuts.

Lunch: rotisserie chicken wings and breast, yams with butter and pumpkin pie spice, brocolli with butter 2 peanut butter balls

Dinner: something with ground beef...mmmm

I've been reading Lean and Free 2000. I am trying to up my calories and hopefully my energy will keep going up.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

I have been reading L&F 2000, which recommends that you eat at LEAST 2000 high quality calories a day. I logged my food into *********** and I ate about 2300 cals yesterday. I am trying to have faith and understand that raising calories may not make me fat. That is what various sources are saying. If you eat more food, does it make you gain weight? If you eat too much of the wrong food you will definitely gain. But what if you eat an all natural diet? I am eating mostly whole foods, no grains, no fake fats or sweeteners, no sugar. I am just eating meat, eggs, veggies, fruit, complex carbs such as potatoes, yams and oats, nuts, butter, coconut oil. I have only gained 2 lbs since I upped my carbs and calories. And the theory is, once I get my metabolism revved up, I will be able to eat even more calories without gaining. And through that good nutrition, my body's imbalances will straighten themselves out.

I was listening to Matt Stone's podcast yesterday and he has a theory about what makes us gain weight. Conventional wisdom believes this:

calorie surplus=>weight gain=>insulin resistance=>inflammation=>diseases of civilization

Matt Stone thinks it might be more like this:

poor nutrition=>poor health=>weak immune system, germs, bacterial invaders=>high cortisol (which blocks the action of insulin and thyroid hormones)=>low metabolism, insulin resistance=>weight gain.

I'm keeping an open mind, and doing the experiment on myself. So far I have felt somewhat more energetic, but still pretty tired a lot. It is difficult to get past the fear of eating more and more food. It goes against everything we are taught about weight. But what we are taught is obviously wrong, and this theory makes sense to me.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:29 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

I am starting to lose focus and have been eating the wrong foods (sugar and processed). I have also gained in the last few days. I lose focus when I get confused about which way to go with this diet and exercise thing. I don't know what to believe. That is fine, but I need to learn how to stick to one thing long enough to see if it works. It is hard. I need to go back to all natural.

I feel stressed out because of Christmas, and Monday is my son's bday, so I have that to plan, as well. I feel so scattered and disorganized, and I spend an inordinate amount of energy stressing over what to get people for gifts. I hate Christmas (there, I said it!). Now I am off to make my all natural yummy breakfast!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Back with an update on my latest experiment. I made it through the holidays and am still working on upping healthy calories and getting rid of the junk, like sugar. I have gained about 12 lbs since going off of low carb, and that is ok. It is about the same amount that I lost, so I am back where I started. Hopefully I will become weight stable soon. I can feel the extra weight all over, and I am wearing it as a badge of courage! This is fun and scary all at the same time. I have been spending a lot of time at Matt Stones' 180degreehealth blog so I don't feel so alone in my experiment.

Here is what I am trying to do currently:

At least 3 meals a day and snacks if I want/need them
Balanced meals consisting of protein, fat, starch and non-starchy veggies, ala Schwarzbein plus fruit
Minimal to no processed food.
Fat:butter, full fat dairy, fatty meat, coconut oil
starch: starchy veggies (potatoes, yams, carrots) oats, beans, brown rice
protein: meat, dairy, nuts
Veggie:Any kind
fruits: two or three a day
No stimulants, no artificial sweeteners
A cup of decaf coffee every morning, with heavy cream.

I have been eating sugar and grains periodically, and some processed stuff as well. I am trying not to, but often I just lose it when I get home from work in the afternoon and want to eat junk. I decided that the fix for this is to up my meal amounts, especially breakfast. I have been eating 2 eggs and 1/3 oats with cream for bfast. I think this is inadequate and may be why I want to eat junk in the afternoon. I have totally adjusted back to eating bfast in the morning, no problem! In fact, I'm lovin it! I am also going to try and up my other meal amounts and stop the snacks. I read somewhere, I think it was in The Leptin Diet, that you can increase leptin levels by letting your body go a longer period between meals, and KD also advocates getting rid of the snacks. The goal is to learn how to eat enough at meals so that you can get to the next one and have a comfortable amount of hunger. I have done this in the past so I know it is do-able.

Now to the good part, the results thus far of eating a high calorie, healthy diet:

Mood: my mood has improved greatly, I no longer feel depressed. I can tell seratonin levels are on the rise because my dream life has exploded. I love remembering and trying to figure out my dreams.

Sleep: Wayyy better! I can actually sleep right through the night now. I generally get at least 8 hrs a night. The only problem I have is some back pain that wakes me up. Periodically I have a bad night, and it invariably follows either a day with less food, or a day with a lot of crappy food. Mostly, if I skip dinner and eat junk, I'll have a bad sleep.

Energy: Up, up, up. Although I am not a ball of fire yet, I am definitely out of the lump-on-a-log category.

Digestion: WOW! Things are moving along quite nicely. I can put away what I consider to be a huge meal with ease, and have no problems whatsoever. I generally have one BM a day in the morning, sometimes twice. No problems to speak of.

I have not taken my temp since last month. I keep forgetting to get the thermometer and put it on my nightstand. Must start monitoring that. I also want to start taking blood glucose measurements, but I can't get past the cost or the pain of it all. It would be good info to have, though. Might have to bite the bullet on that one.

I am not doing a lick of exercise.

There you have it! I have ordered SB's latest book, The Program, from the library and am going to read it next. I think I might have already read it at some point, but I think it is time for a re-read. I am very encouraged by my results so far. The strange part is that my results don't include my weight! I feel so much better that the weight doesn't seem so important. And hopefully the weight will take care of itself down the road. Matt says first priority is to heal the metabolism and get your temps back up to normal. Same thing from Lean and Free and SB, get your body healed by eating good, healthy, caloric and nutrient dense food, and worry about the weight when the time comes. The promise is that when that time does come, it will be easier than ever before to lose. We'll see!

BTW, my weight is currently 194.

Last edited by Karennic; 01-28-2010 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: add weight and # hrs of sleep/night
Old 01-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

My temp this morning was 96.9. Not too good, is it? There is a lot of room for improvement! Last night I ate a meal of brown rice, about a cup, carrots and broccoli, and steak sauteed in soy sauce and butter. I dumped a bunch of soy sauce on the whole thing. Within an hour, I was comatose on the couch and slept for about three hours. It was 7:30. I knew as soon as I had eaten the meal that something was off. I felt heavy and tired. I am not sure if it was all the rice knocking my blood sugar out of whack, or if it was the soy sauce. I try to avoid soy like the plague, but I just wanted chinese. I went to bed and slept the entire night. Must've been tired. Next time I will only use a bit of soy sauce and half the amount of rice.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:06 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

First off, my numbers from this morning: temp 97.8 weight 194. Since I am in the second half of my cycle, my temp has come up quite a bit. I wonder if 98.6 is "normal" for the first half or the second?

I felt quite run down this week, probably because I did not sleep well most nights. It really has an effect! Don't know what was causing bad sleep, but i suspect hormones. Last night I ate more and slept better. I have been successful in the sugar department, I haven't had any for a few weeks. The only less than stellar food I ate this week was a white bun on my steak and cheese sub. YUM! It was worth it! I often wonder if white bread is that bad, as it never seems to effect me negatively that I can notice. "They" say that it turns to pure sugar almost immediately, but I figure if it is mixed up with lots of meat, fat and veggies, it must be better than eating it alone.

I am still eating snacks, as I get really hungry at snack time. It's amazing how my appetite has come back and it feels so good to honor it and eat, and not to be afraid of it. What a feeling of freedom that brings. I am also still eating fruit. That will be a hard one to give up, and i haven't decided I want to give it up just yet. I mostly eat apples and blueberries with an occasional banana. I've become very attached to frozen blueberries with heavy cream on top. The cream freezes on the blueberries, so it is like blueberry ice cream. It's a great way to get calories up! And it looks like my weight has leveled off.

Here's what I ate yesterday, for future reference. This is a typical day:

bfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, a cup of brocolli, with a tbsp of butter, 1/3 dry measure oats with a coupla tbsps of heavy cream, a cup of decaf with more hwc. This breakfast does not keep hunger at bay til lunch, believe it or not!

Snack: 1 c whole milk organic yogurt, 1/2 c blueberries

Lunch: 1 baked chicken thigh, 1 c green beans with butter, 1 c yams with butter and pumpkin pie spice. apple

Snack: blueberry ice cream (blueberries w/heavy cream)

Dinner: 4 oz sirloin steak, mashed potatoes with skins made with butter and whole milk, green peas, about a cup of each.

I think I need to focus on keeping hydrated and drink more water.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

I measured my temp yesterday and it was 96.6. I got my period this week, so I am back down again. It looks like it raises about a degree when I am in the second phase of my cycle.

I bit the bullet and went and bought a glucose monitor. I spent about $100 for the monitor the strips and the lancets. It does not hurt as much as I thought it would. I have been tracking my glucose, it is sort of fun!

My fbg was 108 this morning before breakfast, which seems a bit high to me. I had a breakfast of eggs in coconut oil and oatmeal. After an hour it was 98. Strange!

Last night I checked before dinner and it was 100, I then had a salmon filet, yams with butter and green beans with butter. At 30 mins it was 118, at an hour it was 133. At least my numbers are not really wacky, although I bet if I ate a bunch of sugar they would be. One more reinforcement to keep my off sugar, which is going well, by the way.

The question i have is, why did it go up 30 points last night, but went down 10 points today? I'll have to do some more playing around to see what effects each type of food have, or time of day, or whatever. I want to check it when I get that comatose thing going on after meals. I brought it to work with me, because that happens a lot after lunch. I suspect a high bs reading. Today I will have for lunch the same thing i had for dinner last night.

Still eating fruits, still eating snacks. I generally eat when hungry but don't seem to ever get ravenous. It is quite comfortable. My weight is rock solid at 194.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

I also noticed that my cycle only lasted 3 weeks and 2 days, which is considerable shorter than usual, when I am lower carb. I don't think this is a good thing.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:12 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday I got a migraine headache. Haven't had one of those in years. Had the aura and all and also felt quite down in the dumps. I'm also not liking my food choices right about now because my body feels heavy and lethargic and I don't feel good. Could be the diet, or it could be my hormones as I am in the lowest of my cycle mood-wise. Sleep is good, though.

I am thinking of changing things up but am not sure which way to go. My first thought is to cut back on the carbs a bit, or on the snacking. I think I will work on the snacking first. I miss being hungry, as I never allow myself to get there anymore. The weird thing is, with all this eating, my weight is still rock solid steady.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Here I go again

I'm going to give this low carb thing another try. Am I crazy? I have been reading some articles that talk about electrolytes so I am going to focus on getting plenty of na, k, and mg. I will be using broth, nu salt, sea salt and regular salt. I plan on cooking up some soup using farm fresh veggies and salty chicken stock or something. I could never get past the induction flu and never felt well. I will also be monitoring my blood pressure, as I think I might have been suffering from low bp as well. My blood pressure has been slowing climbing and I am now being monitored by my doc. It's currently about 135-145 over 75-85. Not drug-worthy, but also a bit higher than it should be.

Currently I weigh 185, i lost about 20 lbs doing weight watchers and then I lost my mojo. I
am also having mood shifts that seem to be related to my cycle. I spent this entire weekend glued to the couch and miserable. I didn't want to do ANYTHING! But I also didn't want to do nothing, either. So I spent a lot of time on the internet reading. Hence my idea to try again with an eye toward electrolyte balance. I wonder if those sugar free gatorade drinks would be a good idea? i'll have to check them out.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Day 1 went pretty well. Just some observations:
I have been having trouble falling asleep and waking up early. however the sleep i did get was good sleep, lots of dreams
I feel a bit weird this morning, surreal and sort of woozy
My depression is gone and I feel hopeful and optimistic and interested. I think this is due to my hormones not the diet, since i have only been lowcarbing one day!
Notice ketone breath this am but haven't checked the sticks
Hunger was very low yesterday. Ate because I thought I should-don't want to feel like crap.
Coffee with heavy cream is the absolute best breakfast EVER!
Energy is still good.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Ketostix are pink. I have not had the usual bad feelings. I think it is because i am taking magnesium and eating salt and such. Yesterday I did eat some carbs, though, had two popsicles. I feel pretty good overall and am quite optimistic that I might be able to get this to work this time. Or at least not have to quit because of feeling so tired and non-functional. I am going to try to keeps carb down a bit lower today, and also to eat when I get hungry only. Sleep is good, although I have trouble falling asleep sometimes. I think this is due to hormones as well, as I am "up" this time in my cycle. i think I am going to stay off the scale and weight only once per week. The scale makes me crazy!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:21 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

I had set today (saturday) up as my weigh-in day, but I decided not to weigh because I don't care right now. I feel slimmer and I am just going to go with that feeling and not let my weight influence me. If I am feeling slimmer that is good enough.

CAll me flabbergasted but I am in pretty solid ketosis and I do not feel bad at all. I feel like it is a miracle. No exhaustion, no bad sleep, no dizziness, no brain fog, no ****! On one hand I am thrilled that I found out why I felt so bad before. On the other hand I am pissed that it was something so simple and easy to fix. Oh well, can't do anything about that now, can I?

Another difference is that I am currently taking an antidepressant. This helps me sleep and makes me feel better. My goal is to get off of it eventually, but right now I will stay with it.

I have been having some hunger, not that nauseated total lack of hunger I used to have with low carb. I had to force feel myself and I didn't enjoy that at all. Now I feel as though I get hungry but it is not urgent and it is different than craving. Yesterday I logged my food and I ate about 1800 cals, 75%f, 7%c, 18%p, with about 33 total g carbs. I feel goooooood!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Glad you are back!! Keep up the good work..and it really IS work, isn't it?
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote