Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Wasn't hungry all day and had to make myself eat. Must be all the water I am drinking. I also think I am in ketosis for the 1st time in years. During the last year, even when I ate close to 0 carbs, I didn't seem to be in ketosis. Again, I think it was because I wasn't drinking water.

For the last several days I have been tired as hell. Don't know what that is all about.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

3rd day back on track. The water is really helping. Walked 3 miles today for exercise. There is supposed to be something magical about walking for 1 hour, so that's why the 3 miles.

I often stop at the grocery store after my workout. I think I need to keep some l-glutamine and l-tyrosine in the car so I can take it before going in the store. Maybe that will help stop me from putting carby stuff in the basket.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Still on track and drinking my water. Trying to increase chromium, l-tyrosine, and l-glutamine to at least 2 x a day (3 x if I can remember). Also started prescription strength digestive enzymes (really expensive).

Haven't had a diet soda for 4 days and had a terrible headache last couple of days. Hope it is just withdrawal and goes away soon.

I have eaten on plans for 4 days - scale moved morning 2 and then stayed the same for days 3 and 4. Frustrating - I should be still dropping water weight at this point.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Had a big weight loss today.

I had planned on doing weights today, but all the newbies were at the gym using the weights, so I walked instead. Did 3 miles. My legs were very painful last night and so far today. I might need to bump up potassium since I am drinking water now. Just took a magnesium tablet and used lite salt at lunch, but legs are still hurting. This is not something that normally happens to me.

Tried ground turkey instead of ground beef for a taco salad. Not going to do that again - too bland and poor texture. Also tried a turkey/cheese sausage that was OK. Just trying to find a way to cut down calories a little each day, to compensate for the coconut oil.

Leptin is Cool
Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Still on track. Cravings have been under control so far.

Exercise was good. Walked 3 miles and did 4 weight machines.

Just read the thread on aspartame. So I think I have several of the pieces of the puzzle now.

Piece 1 - Naturally low serotonin level
Piece 2 - Not drinking enough water
Piece 3 - Consuming large quantities of aspartame on a daily basis

All 3 contribute to brain fog, memory problems, and moodiness. So I have stopped all aspartame consumption, increased water to at least 6 glasses a day, and will continue to supplement with l-tyrosine and l-tryptophan.

It will be interesting to see how I feel in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

I think I know what the tired is about. Just read last night that when you stop ingesting aspartame, your body begins replacing unhealthy cells with new healthy cells - resulting in being tired. That is different from the fatigue I have had for years. But another symptom of aspartame poisoning is fatigue (fibromyalgia, CFS, etc).

Walked a little over 3 miles and did 4 weight machines today. Pinched nerve in my neck has been bothering me for about a week.

Still eating on plan with no problems. It has been at least a week since I experienced any cravings.

No aspartame
Lots of water
Extra chromium, l-tyrosine, and l-glutamine
Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

Felt like exercising this morning so went to gym. It has been a couple of months since I felt like exercising. Did 1 mile on treadmill, 1 mile on track, and 10 minutes on stationary bike.

Food still on track. A little bit hungry, but still no cravings.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 AM   #248
Its Not A Problem! :)

Gallery: Bobby
Stats: 398/355/250
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart July 1st
Good job Rich! I just read your last few post, but it looks like you have been doing awesome, congrats.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Not much to report which is a good thing. No cravings. Food on plan. Did a little yard work to at least do something physical.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Eating has stabilized to the point I will track my weight again. Since I eliminated aspartame, I have had zero cravings.

Lost 4 lbs last week.

2 short term goals.
1. 255 will be lowest weight in 3 years
2. 244 will be lowest weight in more than 10 years

Walked 4 miles today. Yesterday, I decided to have an all vegetable dinner. Don't think that was a good idea, my body seems to want some protein with each meal. My knees hurt today which I think is from water retention. Also, weight was a lb higher than I expected it to be.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Old pattern is back - not at full strength - but back. Dragged around all day yesterday. Took extra l-glutamine and l-tyrosine - no help. Drank plenty of water - no help. Down but no cravings.

Woke up this morning and felt more down - tired than yesterday. Took extra l-glutamine and l-tyrosine - no help. Tried to stay busy and get my mind off it. Didn't seem to help.

Went grocery shopping and bought Cheetos and diet soda made with Splenda - not NutraSweet. At least I am staying away from wheat and aspartame. Will have to keep close tabs and try to figure out what triggered this.

Cravings were not as strong as they have been in the past. Maybe this is just an aspartame withdrawal flareup. If so, I should expect these cravings to continue to weaken over time.

Last edited by beachguy; 01-13-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

So after quitting aspartame, I had no cravings for 2 weeks. Really thought I was on track to finally lose this weight. And then the cravings came back - full strength.

First I feel tired - eyes feel strained (tired) - a little bit moody - joint pain increases. Then the cravings start. If I was female, I would guess this was PMS.

As soon as I can get stabilized again, I will start tracking blood pressure, heart rate, and blood glucose. I still need to find a clue.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: polarbear
Stats: 336/289/250/195
WOE: Very Low Carb
Start Date: November 1, 2008
Well you are aware of Andropause Rich?
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
Well you are aware of Andropause Rich?
Yes, but I thought the testosterone would take care of that. This is driving me crazy. When I eat junk food, I feel like crap but get a lot done.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

So I found a diet plan that I thought might work. It is especially for people who crave starches and sugar. You have 3 small snacks a day of starch.

I bought some low carb ice cream and some caramel rice cakes. Divided the rice cakes up into 10 servings. Ate 1 serving as afternoon snack. So far, so good.

Decided to have a serving of ice cream as my evening snack. Ate the entire half gallon. Oops!

Then I ate all the rest of the rice cakes.

This is definitely not the LOSE weight diet for me.

Also started Saint John's Wort yesterday. I know I have a serotonin problem and the 5-HTP and l-tryptophan don't seem to be helping. Julia Ross recommends Saint John's Wort for those people not helped by 5-HTP or l-tryptophan. Then, SAM-E if the SJW doesn't work.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

Looked over the BFL diet plan. He includes starch in 3 meals and 6 meals a day. I think what I am going to try is starch 1 or 2 meals a day - either potato, sweet potato, or brown rice. And protein shakes for snacks if needed.

Somehow I need to find the balance between enough carbs to fuel my brain and lose weight.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

3rd day on new plan. No cravings yet! Idea is to get carbs way up while keeping my calories around 1800-2000/day. All the research I have done seems to indicate that my cravings indicate I need more carbs. This paper explains theory.

I have at least 2 starchy vegetables a day and have air popped popcorn as evening snack. Several reasons for the popcorn - fiber, filler, low calories, fairly high carb count. I want the high carbs to use to get the tryptophan across the blood-brain barrier. Don't know yet if this part is working since I forgot to take tryptophan the last 2 nights.

Also avoiding all wheat products.

I will be happy to lose at a slower rate as long as I can beat the cravings.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Back to the gym for 1st time in over a week. Slow going today! Walked 2 miles and did 3 weight machines.

Day 4 - no cravings. So far I have been adding hash browns to bacon and eggs in morning and then having a protein shake with banana for lunch. For dinner I add a baked potato to regular low carb meal and then have air popped popcorn for snack. This is keeping me full.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Day 5 OK. I was hungry but that was because my calories were too low yesterday. No cravings, just hungry.

I tested myself with some Cheetos. Bought a big bag, had a small bowl and put the rest away. In the past, I would have just kept getting another bowl until they were gone. Maybe...

Have had a bad headache for last several days. I think it was from the St-John's Wort which I started about 5 days ago. I have been taking 1 capsule 3 times a day as recommended but will cut back to just 1 starting tomorrow. Didn't take any today and headache is gone.

I have been really motivated this week - painted living room, bottled 1 batch of wine and started another, 2 afternoons pruning trees, 2 times to gym. I am pretty sure it is from increased serotonin resulting from the extra carbs I am eating.

I have been doing research on serotonin and am finding some amazing stuff. So many of the physical and mental problems I have had all my life can be traced to low serotonin levels. My cravings for sugar and starches was my body's attempt at getting serotonin levels up. Also, in my younger days I was a big beer drinker - same thing. Drinking beer raises serotonin for a while and then it drops. Explains the behavior of alcoholics - it's not just the alcohol high but the feeling they get from increased serotonin.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Day 6 Good. Painted baseboard in living room, worked in yard for 3 hours, and spent 2 hours doing research. It's the carbs! Energy is good, motivation is great, and sense of well being is good.

Now I have to work on calories. Up a pound this morning. Will guesstimate for a week or so. If not making good progress, will start tracking in ******.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Day 7 - Still no cravings!

Energy, mood, and motivation are just OK today. Not as good as yesterday. Didn't sleep very good. And it is freezing cold again, otherwise I would do some yard work. Probably would feel better if I got active for a while.

Last night I had Cheetos as carb snack. Ate a small bowl and decided to have another. It was like I was observing someone else do it. Would he eat the whole bag or not? I had another small bowl and STOPPED. I bought the bag on Friday and there is still some left. Can't remember the last time I was able to have snacks in the house without eating them until they were gone.

Took 2 SJW pills yesterday and no headache. Took 1 this morning and headache is back. I don't know if they are helping control my carb craving, so I will keep on taking 1 or 2 a day for a while, unless the headache gets too bad.

Going to look into cereal as my night time snack. The carbs from cereal and milk plus the protein from milk make it ideal for getting tryptophan to the brain to create serotonin/melotonin for sleeping. Going to see what kind of gluten free cereals are available.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Day 8 - No Cravings. Portion control is a small problem, but not out of control. Just need to watch it. Eating starches is not causing any cravings; in fact, I am really starting to believe that it is the answer to cravings.

Exercise was good today. Walked 3 miles and did 4 machines.

I'm going to start listing the sugar/starches each day for reference.

Hash browns - small amount
Banana and 2 strawberries in protein shake
Potato and rutabaga for dinner
Air popped popcorn as snack
Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Day 9 - First Test

Low on energy this morning. Went to gym and seemed weak lifting weights. Also felt those feelings that indicate a carb binge is coming. Did aerobics but not weights.

I think I know how to tackle this, just need to stay in control of the process. So far, I ate about half a big bag of Cheetos and took 2 trytophan capsules. If this is a serotonin problem, I should get some relief in an hour or so. Right now the cravings are under control, so need to get mood and energy levels back up. The cheetos are to get an insulin spike to get the tryptophan into the brain.

If this doesn't get me there, I plan on having pasta (spaghetti) and wine for lunch. It might be that I need a bigger and more prolonged spike in insulin to get serotonin up. I want to get this fixed today and not have a 3 day binge ruin my weight loss again. So if I have to suffer through spaghetti and wine, I'll just have to man up and do it!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Just had spaghetti and wine. Now I notice something strange. Usually, I have moderately high blood pressure and a heart rate around 70-80. Just checked and bp is slightly below normal and heart rate is about 110.

I really am having physical reactions to something. Just have to figure out what that something is.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Took a nap. Felt better when I woke up. Eyes felt better and had no cravings. It's now 5 hours later and eyes have that tired feeling again. Ate more Cheetos and took 2 more tryptophan capsules.

Probably about 1000-1500 calories over plan today. So if I feel better tomorrow it could be from extra calories, extra carbs, or 2 glasses of red wine. I sure hope this little binge is over. Not a huge price to pay if this worked.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

Day 10. Still don't feel right - don't know if I am on the way back up or further down.

Scale up 5 lbs for yesterday. At most, I gained 1 lb from excess calories and the rest is water weight. We fat people really are efficient at packing it back on!

Just checked blood pressure - back up, and heart rate - back down. I wonder if the falling blood pressure is related to the cravings, low energy, fatigue, eye fatigue?

I'm trying to get my body to tell me if it needs protein or high carbs today. I think I also have a slight allergic reaction to something I ate yesterday - sinus congestion, eyes watering.

Going to skip gym today. I think that having a low stress day on my body might be a good thing to do - a recovery day.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Absolutely no cravings today. Feeling better as day goes on. So the strategy of hitting the first hint of cravings with massive carbs seems to have worked. Now I need to refine and refine until I can get through these without gaining 5 lbs.

I also think it might be good to try large quantities of glutamine next time. Taking a couple of glutamine capsules never helped, but I have a full bottle of powder now.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

I give up! Didn't have cravings but did still have fatigue and concentration problems. Pigged out on carbs this morning.

I have been attempting to lose weight by low carbing for over 6 years with pitiful results. I have lost and kept off over 50 lbs, but just can't get the other 50 off.

I need to do more research and try to come up with a plan that works. In the short term, I just need to get down to 240-245 - only 20-25 lbs. I should be able to lose that much in 4-6 weeks.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dee1904
WOE: JUDD
Don't give up! You will definately find a solution that works for you. If you are hypothyroid maybe AS is a problem. Do you drink diet sodas?
Dee1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: polarbear
Stats: 336/289/250/195
WOE: Very Low Carb
Start Date: November 1, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
I give up! Didn't have cravings but did still have fatigue and concentration problems. Pigged out on carbs this morning.

I have been attempting to lose weight by low carbing for over 6 years with pitiful results. I have lost and kept off over 50 lbs, but just can't get the other 50 off.

I need to do more research and try to come up with a plan that works. In the short term, I just need to get down to 240-245 - only 20-25 lbs. I should be able to lose that much in 4-6 weeks.
Rich. I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems so severe as to make you want to give up, but maybe low carb is just not for you. Have you tried Weight Watchers online? You get a lot of carbs if you want them and it seems that you need them to function better. My partner is a psychiatrist and he tells me that carbs are necessary for brain function. Maybe you're just more sensitive then others in this way. I know I get depressed on low carb eating if I don't take something to counteract it because carbs are also necessary for seritonin release.

Take care.