Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
The 3 lbs came off already, so I am back to the low of a few days ago. Stomach is still acting up. I started taking co again. Just got a new batch in and it smelled so good I had to try it.

Good exercise the last 2 days. Eating has been OK. Probably a little high on calories but choices were good.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Energy was great today. Now if I could just figure out why.

Since I added potatoes to my diet and started the coconut oil, I have had only 1 bad day, yesterday. I don't know what caused it - ended up sleeping about 9 hours - 4 hours 3 hours 2 hours. I did have a stomach ache that lasted about a week and I think that may have been caused by APV. I stopped taking it (ACV) and eventually the stomach ache went away - so no more ACV.

My weight is relatively unchanged over the last month. It went up and down a little, but no real weight loss. Frustrating.

Leptin is Cool
Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

And so it goes. Ice cream, bread, pizza. When I binge, its always the same foods. I think its serotonin related. I have been experiencing brain fog again after I had a couple of weeks of being pretty sharp.

Need to get back on track so I can get rid of this headache. Then I can figure out if my brain is working.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Three days back on track. Got most of the weight back off.

I've got 3 weeks to lose 10 lbs. I'm hoping 3 or 4 of the 10 are water weight and will come off in the next couple of days. If they do, I've got a shot.

Going to increase exercise and really watch calories. It's only 3 weeks. Just need to use every trick I have learned to make it happen.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Boy I was hungry yesterday. Stayed on plan but ate more than planned. Scales down a little so no problem.

Good workout today. Increased workout a little. Didn't want to push to hard on Monday and be sore for Tuesday.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

Workout didn't start so good, but eventually the endorphins kicked in. I think I need to really watch calories if I have any chance of meeting my mini-goal.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:22 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

I've been good. I swear I've been good. And my weight still went up a lb. I'm going to be stuck at this weight forever.

Leg is bothering me. Had to cut exercise a little short yesterday and today. Used all my tricks to ease the pain and none of them worked.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

I'm having a binge and actively participating. My brain fog has been extremely bad and my body is not recovering from exercise. So when my brain said time for ice cream, I agreed. Maybe I can make this a controlled binge and learn how to handle it. I don't know if it's the extra calories, the sugar, the fats, or whatever, but I will keep records this time and try and get some value out of this.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Well the mini binge didn't help. Still have fatigue and brain fog. Been back on plan for 3 days. Real close to my low weight for this go around. Going to try changing a couple of things.

First, I started taking L-Glutamine this morning. Its supposedly eliminates cravings. In fact, I need to go take some now. 1000 mg 3X/day.

Second, if I feel a binge coming on, I plan on allowing myself up to 1000 calories of whatever I want. If it lasts for more than a day, I will allow myself a maximum of an extra 1000 calories a day. At least I should minimize weight gain this way. (Should have said I will take some L-Glutamine first)

What I'm hoping is that I can handle a binge by feeding it and controlling it. Instead of just giving in, I will handle a binge according to my plan. Attempting to find a way to stay at least partially in control.

My pattern over the last 6 years is that I have to go very low calorie to lose weight, and that after 2 or 3 weeks on low calories, cravings overwhelm me and I binge. So, if this is in fact the pattern, I will eat low carb, low calorie for 2-3 weeks and then up calories (additional 1000) for a few days. This should help keep my energy level up and reduce brain fog. At least that's what I'm hoping.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Forgot to take l-glutamine today. No cravings so no problem. Good exercise day. Back acting up which restricted me a little. My eating last 4 days has been exactly as planned - no snacks, no large portions, no seconds. Have Thanksgiving meal planned that is low carb and low calorie. Plus no drinking.

Big push to lose as much as possible by end of year. 5 weeks so shooting for 10 lbs.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Up 2 lbs from Thanksgiving, but expect that to come right off. Just finished rereading The Diet Cure and restarting Good Calories Bad Calories. Looking for a clue I missed the first time.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:17 AM   #222
Its Not A Problem! :)

Gallery: Bobby
Stats: 398/355/250
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart July 1st
Good job Rich on sticking to your plan.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Had a good workout today. I also feel good today. I wish I knew why? It might be from extra calories on Thanksgiving or the baked potato I had yesterday or none of the above. I need to buy a clue.

The Thanksgiving weight is gone. Now I'm working on getting 10 lbs off by end of year.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Doctor's appointment today. I explained things I have noticed over the last 3 months when I have a 0 pound loss. I believe I have candida. She gave me a paper test which showed positive so she wrote a prescription for treatment.

Also got a new prescription for testosterone at current dosage. And a prescription for Lipase which should help with fat absorption.

Doctor recommended I eat 5 meals a day, but I think I will ignore that for now. I have a plan I want to try for a month or 2 - low calorie for several days and then higher calories for 1 day. I want to see if I can head off a binge by increasing my calories periodically.

Blood pressure was very high and I suggested it might be because I had increased dosage of l-tyrosine I was taking. Doc agreed and I will cut beck a little on the dosage.

Also discussed potassium. Doc says when she tested back in June, level was fine. I feel better when I eat potatoes, so don't know if it is from potassium or just the starch, but she has no problems with me adding them to my diet.

Worked out this morning. Good workout. Still eating on plan with no cravings. It has been about a week on plan. Should be good for another week before the cravings kick in. I plan on being ready this time. Going to meet them head on with increased calories and tons of fruits and vegetables.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

More detective work. I have a pain in my stomach, but it is different than the pain I usually get. I wondering if it caused by too much acid (hcl and acv) and a pulled muscle? I seem to have symptoms of both. I need to stay away from acids for a day or 2 and see if that clears it up.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:12 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Pain in stomach is gone so no problem there. Had a good workout yesterday.

Started getting that feeling that tells me a binge is coming on. Start feeling down, get anxious, start looking at foods trying to decide what I want.

I tried my 1000 extra calories strategy. Only bad part was it was Cheetos! I decided I wanted the extra carbs and for it too feel like I was cheating, but under control.

So far, so good. I kept my total calories for the day under 3000, so I shouldn't see any weight gain other than a little water retention.

Note: Wednesday morning. I feel a little better than I did yesterday. Need to keep monitoring to see if one baf of Cheetoes is enough to do the trick or if I need to add more calories/carbs again today.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: polarbear
Stats: 336/289/250/195
WOE: Very Low Carb
Start Date: November 1, 2008
Hi Rich

We have similar stats and I've been reading your journal today. Haven't read it all but I think I will.
I see you're on Testosterone, as I am. Are you injecting? I have to inject and I'm wondering if it causes me to stall.
I re-started LC on Nov 1 of this year, lost 23 pounds in the first 2 weeks and have stopped losing now for over 2 weeks. I was not very faithful about the testosterone so just re-started that around the time my weight stalled. I lost a lot of weight 10 years ago (130 pounds) very quickly and was on testosterone then as well. Now I'm 56 and don't have the energy others seem to get from LC induction. I'm irritable, negative and tired a lot.
Anyway, I'll follow your journey with interest. I hope it's ok to post this in your journal. Not sure what the protocol is.
Hang in there and I hope you find your way to what you desire.

Jay
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry

Rich - Just read the journal rules. Should have read them first. Sorry for the post.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
We have similar stats and I've been reading your journal today. Haven't read it all but I think I will.
I see you're on Testosterone, as I am. Are you injecting? I have to inject and I'm wondering if it causes me to stall.
I re-started LC on Nov 1 of this year, lost 23 pounds in the first 2 weeks and have stopped losing now for over 2 weeks. I was not very faithful about the testosterone so just re-started that around the time my weight stalled. I lost a lot of weight 10 years ago (130 pounds) very quickly and was on testosterone then as well. Now I'm 56 and don't have the energy others seem to get from LC induction. I'm irritable, negative and tired a lot.
Anyway, I'll follow your journey with interest. I hope it's ok to post this in your journal. Not sure what the protocol is.
Hang in there and I hope you find your way to what you desire.

Jay
Hi Jay,

Feel free to post here. Bobby posts here sometimes and he is on testosterone too. He is injection, I am using cream. He has good results, I don't seem to have any results.

In terms of irritable, negative, and tired a lot - sounds like me. Some possible causes are:
  1. vitamin D level - I have had 2 shots and take a supplement every day
  2. Tyrosine (Amino acid) -a precursor of dopamine, may heighten mental alertness, increase feelings of well being, and offset physical and mental fatigue.
  3. Testosterone - check out something like MESO-Rx for expert advice
  4. Digestive Enzymes - helps break down food so you get the benefit of the nutrients
  5. Thyroid - check the health board here for good info on thyroid problems
  6. Candida - Yeast infection, I just started taking a generic of diflucan. Does your tongue have a white coat? Also can try spit test. See health forum for info.
  7. Sleep Problems - 5-HTP or l-tryptophan can help increase serotonin
Old 12-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Rich- It's great to know I can post here. I feel we share some issues. You know I tried the testosterone patch for awhile and had no results. The injections are annoying (hard to reach behind and inject yourself in the rear) but they do work. I'm going to check out that website though and see if it says anything about weight loss.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
Feel free to post here. Bobby posts here sometimes and he is on testosterone too. He is injection, I am using cream. He has good results, I don't seem to have any results.
Nope, I'm on Androgel, I used to get the injections when I first started. I like the steady levels I get with the Androgel verses the shots, they used to give them to me every other week and that was just too long between doses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
The injections are annoying (hard to reach behind and inject yourself in the rear) but they do work.
Can you inject them in your shoulders/delts? That's where they used to give me mine.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 AM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Down 2 pounds. These might be the biggest e lbs I have lost so far. Tried my new strategy of feeding the cravings when I first feel them coming on. Ate higher calories/carbs for a couple of days, then back to around 1500-2000 calories/day. I think I dodged a binge and lost 2 lbs for the week.

I'm almost looking forward to the next time I get cravings to see if this strategy works again. Kind of a modified carbohydrate addict's diet (CAD) - but eat whatever I want for 2 days (holding calories under 3000), instead of 1 day a week. I've tried CAD with some success, but the cravings always won.

Potatoes are one of the foods that really satisfy my cravings, so when I get cravings - baked, fried, hash browns - all seem to help. But I need some type of junk food too. This time I had Cheetos and a Lean Cuisine pizza. The carbs seemed to do the trick.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

Hey. Way to go Rich! Looks like you're doing well in finding what works for you.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #234

Awesome strategy!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise was good today. I noticed I walked without favoring my right leg today. This might be the first time in 25 years both legs seemed to be functioning equally.

One morning I bent over to pick up my gym bag and a disk decided to move a little. I felt a crippling pain in my right leg for months. Two doctors both said I needed immediate surgery and the nerve would never recover. I wasn't ready for surgery so I started my own physical therapy program - swimming and exercising in the jacuzzi. After about a month I started to get some relief and get partial nerve response back. Since then, I have always had some weakness in my right leg. So feeling totally balanced when I walked this morning was very noticeable.

Tried something different with my exercise. I normally do Body for Life exercise plan - 12-10-8-6-12. What I did today on the weights was 12-10-8-6 and then I did Slow Burn - 6 count up 6 count down with heavy weight. Man was that a killer. I also used the Slow Burn idea on the ab machines. I only did 7 reps on each machine but it was very intense. It will be interesting to see what effect this has.

Had minimum carbs yesterday and keeping them low today. I had high carbs on Friday, so need a couple of low carb days to balance them out. Still enjoying eating this way.

I have been feeling good for over a week. Now if I could just figure out what thing or combination of things are helping.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post

Had minimum carbs yesterday and keeping them low today. I had high carbs on Friday, so need a couple of low carb days to balance them out. Still enjoying eating this way.

I have been feeling good for over a week. Now if I could just figure out what thing or combination of things are helping.
I don't know Rich, sounds like you've got a great plan going there. Good for you!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Good workout today. Did Slow Burn on a couple of machines. Man that is killer. Also noticed that I was favoring my right leg again, so I still have some rehab to do.

Was hungry all day. Kept eating. I maxed out calories at BMR level. I try to stay about 700 calories below it on my low carb days.

I have taken Beta HCL the last few days and it might be that now I have too much stomach acid. Will not take any for a couple of days and see if my hunger goes away.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise was good again today. Did Slow Burn on 6 machines. Burn is definitely the right word.

Stomach still upset a little which resulted in me eating a little too much. I kept it right at BMR so not too bad. Need low carb - low calorie tomorrow and maybe an extra 1/2 hour at gym.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

My body did it again. Went for my workout on Thursday. Just didn't feel up to it. Walked a mile and called it a day. Stopped at grocery store and all kinds of high carb stuff ended up in my basket. Couldn't seem to stop myself. Ate way too many carbs and calories for 2 days.

Now I'm back on track.

Two days seems to be the magic number. But my plan to limit calories didn't work. My plan is to limit high carb/calorie days to 3000 calories, but I probably ate closer to 7000 on Thursday and 4000 on Friday. So the most I could have gained is 1 1/2 - 2 lbs, but I am up 8. I guess 6 lbs should come off in a couple of days and then I'll have to work to get the other 2 off.

Going to be difficult to make my end of year goal.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Got back on track for 5 days and then gave in to cravings again.

So yesterday, I pulled out ALL my books related to weight loss, health, memory, etc. I have learned a lot about diet and amino acids in the last 6 months, so I am going to go back and reread all these books. I just know there is an important piece of information in one of the books, if I can just find it.

So far, I have reread "Your Body's Many Cries for Water". I drink about a glass of water a day and the rest is diet coke and coffee. Both are decaf, but still full of artificial sweeteners.

When we taste something sweet, our brains expect sugar to follow. When we don't get sugar, the urge for sweets (sugar) gets a little stronger. So that's why some people have cravings when they use artificial sweeteners. The book also is highly critical of diet drinks, especially ones with caffeine.

So today, I started drinking water. Two glasses as soon as I get up. Then, a minimum of 1 mid-morning, 1 right before lunch, 1 mid-afternoon, 1 right before dinner, plus two more glasses of water or decaf iced tea.

Also learned that dehydration can cause high blood pressure, fatigue, memory problems, and high cholesterol. So let's see if water makes any difference. I have a month before next doctor's appointment so I think that might be long enough to make a difference.

Also learned about the brain's blood barrier. It makes sense that the brain protects itself from too much sugar, too much tryptophan, too much tyrosine, etc. The book suggest eating the protein portion of a meal first to get the tyrosine through the brain barrier and eating carbs first to get the tryptophan through the barrier. This will take some practice to get down, but is a fairly easy thing to try. Actually ate dinner this way tonight because the steak wasn't done and the vegetables were.

I didn't understand all the brain energy stuff - will have to reread this when my brain starts working better. But what I did get out of it was that the brain is about 85% water so being dehydrated has to effect the brain.

The brain uses 1) sugar and 2)water for energy production. Since I am restricting sugar, water is extremely important. I am wondering if this might be the source of my cravings. When I give in too carby foods, my brain starts to function better - brain fog lifts and memory gets a little better.

So for now, it's drink, drink, drink, and drink a little more.