Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
I'm in a catch-22 now. Increasing starches has caused inflammation and sinus congestion. My back has been bothering me for a week and I think it is related to increased starches (fluid retention). I also have had a slight headache and brain fog. But my eating is under control and I am sleeping better.

I will give it a few more days and see if my body will adjust. My carbs are still relatively low (probably under 60 a day) so hopefully this won't cause a weight gain. I would be happy with slow loss if I could just feel good and not suffer cravings.

Leptin is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #182
Its Not A Problem! :)

Gallery: Bobby
Stats: 398/355/250
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart July 1st
Are you eating more salt lately?

Is that 60 carbs on the starchy days?

How many carbs are you eating on your non starch days?

Are you still taking fish oil?
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
Are you eating more salt lately?

Is that 60 carbs on the starchy days?

How many carbs are you eating on your non starch days?

Are you still taking fish oil?
I use very little salt.
60 carbs on starchy days.
Maybe 20
1 1/2 TB plus 4 capsules

It might be related to the type of starchy carbs I have. Usually I have a potato, but recently I had brown rice and Wasa crackers. What's strange is I don't feel good but I get a lot done. The starch has both a good and bad effect on me. I need to experiment and see if I can find a starch that doesn't cause the inflammation.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #184

Yep, I'd stick with one starchy source at a time and when it's good, try another for a while. Maybe grains don't agree with you.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Still doing OK with food. Had some small potatoes yesterday and they didn't seem to have an effect either way. Am going to try to have 3+ TB of coconut oil and increase Tyrosine from 2 capsules to 6 for a few days. Either of these might boost my energy. Also going to order l-tryptophan to try instead of the 5-HTP I am taking now. Both are precursors to serotonin and some people have success with one and not the other.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Think I might have started out with too much coconut oil - stomach gurgled and churned all night. But I did sleep 5 hours straight which I think is a 10 year record. Also tripled the amount of l-tyrosine I take. Energy and mood were good today. Don't know why, but I will keep up the tyrosine and coconut oil.

Exercise was good. Did more aerobics today and less weights - just 'cause that's what I felt like doing.

Ordered apple cider vinegar, l-tryptophan, and extra virgin coconut oil. All 3 are supposed to help with sleep.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #187

Five hours is a ten year record?!? No wonder you feel like crap most of the time!

I hope the other stuff helps you get some better sleep.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Five hours is a ten year record?!? No wonder you feel like crap most of the time!

I hope the other stuff helps you get some better sleep.
I pretty much sleep in 2 hour blocks. Never get into deep, restorative sleep. Since I have been taking 5-HTP, I sleep a 4 hour block every once in a while. The 5 hours last night was a record. It could be because I have increased starches, coconut oil, l-tyrosine, prostate pills, or maybe the 4 months of 5-HTP is finally helping. I thought the testosterone would help, but it didn't.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #189

I think the testosterone just makes me a happier person, not so much on anything else. Well, it probably keeps the greay hairs away too, but I don't care too much about that. I think the grey hair thing, or lack there of, bothers my sisters and wife the most
Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Antonya
Stats: 142
WOE: Starting over with SB!
Start Date: April 2009
Hi Rich! Back again to be nosy. Have you ever been screened for depression? Insomnia is a major symptom, as is generally feeling physically crappy.
Antonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonya View Post
Hi Rich! Back again to be nosy. Have you ever been screened for depression? Insomnia is a major symptom, as is generally feeling physically crappy.
Hi Antonya,

Over the years I have discussed it with a couple of doctors. They have all said I don't suffer from depression. One doc had me try Prozac to see if it would help increase serotonin and help with carb cravings. It did nothing. I am taking as much as 250 mg of 5-HTP/day and it does little or nothing at improving mood, helping with sleep, or stopping cravings.

Someone here suggested (and its also in The Diet Cure) l-tryptophan instead of the 5-HTP. Some people don't respond to 5-HTP but do to l-tryptophan. I asked my doctor about this a few months ago and she encouraged me to continue the 5-HTP, but I just ordered l-tryptophan and plan on giving that a try. I also took the yeast test (recommended by someone on the board) and it was positive, so I am starting a coconut oil/apple cider vinegar regime for that. If I do have candida, that could explain some of my symptoms.

Since adding starches back into my diet, I have not had any cravings for ice cream or potato chips, and have more good days than bad. I think the imflamation was caused by either brown rice or Wasa crackers, so I am avoiding them for now. Potatoes and carrots seem to be safe starches for me.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Just a couple of things so I don't forget them.

Down a pound finally. What makes this is important is that I am finally lower than when I had the binge last month.

And my sleep seems much better since adding in the starches. I am falling asleep much quicker and waking fewer times. I also am getting up an hour earlier and heading to the gym first thing. Really givers me more time to get things done.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Had 3 nights in a row of improved sleep. I think it is a combination of the coconut oil and taking an extra prostate support capsule. I have had 2 nights where I have had a 5 hour block of sleep and 1 night with a 4 hour block.

Plus I have felt OK since starting the coconut oil. Mood and energy OK. Not great, but OK. No down days yet.

Ate too much yesterday. I had some low carb pancakes and then used the extra batter on some fried chicken breasts. This was partially a test to see how I reacted to the flour. I gained a lb which I think is probably water, but didn't have bad aches and pains. I think if I limit flour and only have it occasionally I can add some to my diet. Searched the garden for anything still edible - found onions, peppers, a couple of tomatoes, some lettuce, a small rutabaga, and some sugar snap peas. That's how I ended up eating too much.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Another first. No bathroom trips last night. 1st time in a long time. I believe I also slept for 5 hours straight again. Don't know for sure what is causing the improvement, but I will keep doing everything for now.

Exercise was OK. Don't feel really strong like I did a couple of times a few weeks ago. Did 5 minutes on elliptical today. I know that's not much, but I have to build up slowly so my sciatica doesn't flair up. Plan on replacing some of my walking with the elliptical so I can burn more calories.

Energy and mood are still OK. Brief periods where I feel really good, but mostly just OK.

Motivation is good. Started a software project I have had in mind for a few years. Finally got motivated enough to start it.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:41 AM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

The combination of supplements I am taking now seem to have stabilized my mood and energy level. I would like both to be a little better, but it is nice to not have the down days (both mood and energy). My motivation is still strong.

Weight doesn't want to come off. This always happens at this weight. The good part is the coconut oil and starches seem to have killed the cravings. So I may lose slowly, but at least I think I will keep losing.

Tried brown rice again. It just doesn't have the same positive effect that potatoes have. Doesn't seem to curb my appetite, so no more rice until maintenance (or in a Lean Cuisine).

Sleep has been better since I started the coconut oil and increased the prostate support capsules. I had a long nap yesterday which is unusual. Usually a nap will be 2 hours tops and this one was almost 4 hours. Hopefully the restorative sleep I am now getting will start boosting my energy and mood a little more.

I came up with a strategy for increasing my running. I am going to work up to 10 laps - run half lap - walk half lap. Once I get up to 10 laps, I will see if I can run 5 laps straight. Got about 2 months to get this done.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #196

That extra sleep may help with the weight loss too, try to get as much as you can.

Good plan on the running. You'll be running a mile before you know it.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Just did a little research to see if I could figure out the cause of my cravings. Potatoes are extremely high in potassium and brown rice is not. So maybe it is a potassium deficiency that has caused the cravings in the past. I take magnesium and calcium, but doctor never recommended potassium.

I'll have to see if lite salt will give me enough potassium as a potato or if I need to order a supplement.

Looked up potassium deficiency and here's what I found.
  • Fatigue
  • Patient may experience problems such as Myalgia and muscular weakness
  • Patient may experience hyponatremia and also may experience confused i.e. anxiety.
  • Acme problem
  • Skin related problems such as blistering, skin eruptions, dryness of skin etc.
  • Temporary memory loss or problems such as weak memory etc.
  • Patient is prone to heart related problems, such as heart deterioration.
  • Digestive system also may get affected due to potassium deficiency leading to hypertension, improper sleep, nervous system deterioration, depression, constipation etc.
I've got at least 6 of these. So I'm definitely adding potassium.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #198

OK, now you have me thinking I need to add potasium too. That's a good thing by the way. Thanks.

BTW my doctor prescribed klor-con a while back, it's potasium chloride. I think I'll start taking those again. I have like a whole bottle of them, I'm supposed to take them with the water pills and since I haven't been taking or needing the water pilss I haven't been taking them.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:18 AM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
OK, now you have me thinking I need to add potasium too. That's a good thing by the way. Thanks.

BTW my doctor prescribed klor-con a while back, it's potasium chloride. I think I'll start taking those again. I have like a whole bottle of them, I'm supposed to take them with the water pills and since I haven't been taking or needing the water pilss I haven't been taking them.
Let me know if they make a difference. I'm going to continue to have a potato a few times a week and supplement with lite salt. We'll have to compare notes.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
Let me know if they make a difference. I'm going to continue to have a potato a few times a week and supplement with lite salt. We'll have to compare notes.
Will do, I took one last night. I'll keep taking them daily for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

All right. Another problem to troubleshoot. Woke up today with a headache and sinus congestion. Went for my workout and had neck pain, lower back pain, hip pain, and right leg pain. I'm guessing that all are caused by inflammation. So what caused it?

Two possibilities come to mind. I had a Lean Cuisine pizza yesterday so it could be from wheat. I think this is the most likely cause. The other possibility is that I increased the amount of potassium yesterday - baked potato, lite salt, a magnesium, calcium, potassium tea before bed, and a multivitamin containing potassium. I didn't think potassium caused water retention/inflammation but maybe it does. Need to check that out.

Walked an extra mile and that got rid of headache and lessened neck pain. Guess the endorphins kicked in. But back, hips, and leg still hurt.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #202

May just be a change in the weather causing that stuff. I've been feeling like that when the wind changes to a north wind and is a bit damp and cooler. I like fall, but winter seems better for me when the drier air comes in.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Had a good workout today. Still have a slight headache and right hip is a little sore, but overall I feel much better than I did yesterday. I did some running again today and did better than I expected to. Also did 10 minutes on the eliptical machine.

I seem to finally be at the weight where my stomach fat is starting to come off. That's great because my arms and legs (and butt) are OK, but my stomach has not gotten much smaller. Am able to easily get into some size 44 pants that I have. They're old and probably stretched a little, but still...
Old 10-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #204

Quote:
Had a good workout today. Still have a slight headache and right hip is a little sore, but overall I feel much better than I did yesterday. I did some running again today and did better than I expected to. Also did 10 minutes on the eliptical machine.
Good job working past the pain, sometimes just getting started makes a world of differance.

Quote:
I seem to finally be at the weight where my stomach fat is starting to come off. That's great because my arms and legs (and butt) are OK, but my stomach has not gotten much smaller. Am able to easily get into some size 44 pants that I have. They're old and probably stretched a little, but still...
Sweet! 44's are 44's, own it They probably shrank sitting in the closet, yeah that's it!

I'm in 46's now and my belt is getting a bit too long.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:09 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm in 46's now and my belt is getting a bit too long.
Now that doesn't seem fair. I weigh 256, am 6' tall, and have a 44" waist.

How tall are you?

I have short legs (inseam 30) and a long torso. Gives me a lotta room for stomach fat.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:19 AM   #206

I'm shorter than you. Last time I had my height checked, a couple of years ago I think, I was 5'10.3". My inseam is 30 inches as well. The only thing I can think would cause me to weigh more and have nearly the same waist size is I lift heavy weights and maybe my leg and arm muscles are bigger and weigh more. The weight lift seems to help my core lean down and stay tight too. If you want I'll measure my arms, legs, calves, forearms, chest and shoulders. Last time I checked my shoulders were somewhere around or over 60 inches, but maybe a guestamate would work.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:00 AM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Must be the weight lifting. You are the weight I started at and I had at least a 54" waist.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #208

I think it may be, I got my measurements, I don't know why I can get in 46's comfortablly with my waist (53" around the belly button) and butt size (49"). But I can.

My sized 50's would fall off if I didn't have my belt cinched tight.

Last edited by Bobby; 10-24-2008 at 04:28 PM..
Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #209

Forgot to add, I missed taking the potasium tablet last night. I feel a bit achy today but it may be just soreness from last weekend and trying to lift some last night.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Have had stomach troubles for several days. I don't know what caused it. Still bothers me today, but not quite as bad as a couple of days ago. I don't know if it could be from yeast die off, but it is different from any stomach problem I have ever had before. So I am staying away from coconut oil and acv until it clears up.

Ate too much over the weekend trying to get my stomach to calm down. Ended up gaining about 3 lbs. Need to really watch my diet for the next few days and make sure I get the weight back off.

Exercise was good today. Was able to do 15 minutes on the elliptical machine. I think 20 minutes is a good goal.