Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Just got back from the gym. This was my best workout in over a year. I lifted heavier weights and walked faster than I have been able to for a long time. I think it is because my lower back is getting stronger.

Usually I find myself shrinking when I walk - by that I mean that my lower back doesn't adequately support my upper body and I walk in a slouching position. Today I didn't have that problem until around the 2 1/2 mile mark. I also walked an extra mile today just because I felt like it.

Leptin is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #122
Its Not A Problem! :)

Gallery: Bobby
Stats: 398/355/250
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart July 1st
Heck yeah! Good job Rich!
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise was OK today. A little sore from yesterday. Food was good. I'm trying to increase veggies and fats a little to guard against a binge coming on. Need to stay strong for a few more months!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise was OK but arthritis in right hip was acting up. Food was OK. Something is causing a headache every day lately. I started taking 2 new supplements so I am assuming it is one of them.

Last few days I have been taking nap in afternoon and staying up late. Don't know where this came from. Got call from nurse that test was back and testosterone is still too low and to increase dosage.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
Last few days I have been taking nap in afternoon and staying up late. Don't know where this came from. Got call from nurse that test was back and testosterone is still too low and to increase dosage.
I'm a big fan of naps, but then I stay up at all hours of the night too.

Well, one good thing about upping the dosage, it'll get used up faster. You'll have a chance at getting some better quality test next time.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
Well, one good thing about upping the dosage, it'll get used up faster. You'll have a chance at getting some better quality test next time.
Yes, but it now is costing me about $8/day and she said to increase dosage by 20%. That's another $50/month.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
Yes, but it now is costing me about $8/day and she said to increase dosage by 20%. That's another $50/month.
Ouch!

It may be time to look into the shots. At that price I imagine you could get weekly shots for less than that.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ouch!

It may be time to look into the shots. At that price I imagine you could get weekly shots for less than that.
Did you have the option of giving yourself the shots?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #129

Yes, at one time I did. But I just couldn't do it. Then the local hospital made a policy that said the clinic had to keep the serum there. Then they had to give them to me.

Do you mind giving yourself shots?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Do you mind giving yourself shots?
10 tears ago I could have done it without any problem. But something has caused me to develop fear of heights and claustrophobia over the last 10 years, and these fears might also include giving myself a shot. Shots never bothered me at all in the past, but ever since I had a nurse trainee digging in my arm trying to find a vein, I find I get a little anxious whenever I have to have a shot. I guess if I can save enough money, that might be enough motivation to give it a try.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

The last 3 days are a carbon copy of what has always happened to me when I get down to this weight. Cravings for ice cream, nuts, and other high calorie - high fat foods are overwhelming. I can fight them for a day or 2, but they don't go away. At the same time I feel like I am losing strength rather than gaining strength. All the supplements, testosterone, and vitamin D don't seem to be doing squat. I am taking 2 TB of fish oil and 4 capsule of omega 3-6-9 a day, cooking with coconut oil, and using evoo whenever I can, and my body still seems to want more fats.

So I am taking a break for a few days. I will eat whatever my body wants and try to keep a record so I can look for clues. I may or may not go to the gym. I went this morning and felt very weak and left after about 30 minutes.

My body and my brain are both rebelling. In the past, I fought them only to fail in the end, so I need to find a different path to success. Don't know when I will be back.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #132

man, I sure hope you can find your way out of this funk. hurry back Rich.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #133

So, how's it going Rich? Do you have a new plan of attack?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Antonya
Stats: 142
WOE: Starting over with SB!
Start Date: April 2009
Rich! Don't you give up! You've come a long way...let yourself have a rest, of course, but keep at it!

Are you feeling depressed? Maybe a few visits to a counselor might help.
Antonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So, how's it going Rich? Do you have a new plan of attack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonya View Post
Rich! Don't you give up! You've come a long way...let yourself have a rest, of course, but keep at it!

Are you feeling depressed? Maybe a few visits to a counselor might help.
Hey Bobby and Antonya,

I'm alive and feel like crap. But I have gotten more work done in the last 2 days than I did in the previous month. When I eat a lot of carbs I get a headache and feel sluggish, but my motivation increases. There's a clue here somewhere.

I'm trying to slowly get back on track over the next few days. If I immediately go back to low carb I feel like I will be overwhelmed with cravings again, so for now I am upping my carbs. I think that will be part of my new plan - to increase carbs.

Just got a call setting up an interview for next week, so I have a lot of prep work to make sure I'm ready. I'm concerned they might ask a lot of educational theory questions so I need to eat for my brain this week. For me, that seems to mean upping carbs and fat.

So I don't have a well thought out plan other than upping carbs and staying away from sugar.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #136

Are you keeping track of the carbs you're taking in now? Are you keeping it moderate?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Rich! You live! You know, I actually felt much better and lost faster when I added in more complex carbs to my diet. I did South Beach phase one, and really felt pretty bad during it - low energy, etc. As soon as I added in some good, healthy carbs, I felt much better. Have you tried Ezekiel bread? I like the Food for Life Brand - the english muffins are really yummy with peanut butter. Also, brown rice is always good. And quinoa.

You will figure this out! Listen to your body.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

I had 2 days of binge eating. I knew that wasn't the answer so I went with what has worked for me in the past - steak, baked potato, and red wine. So for the last 5 days I have been eating much higher carbs but staying away from sugar and bread. And today I feel the best I have felt in a month.

I'm thinking that my body isn't doing a good job of turning body fat into glucose. So after a couple months of low carb, I am very fatigued, have brain fog, and feel very sluggish. So usually I break down and eat ice cream, lots of bread, doughnuts, etc. So maybe until the doc can figure something out, I need to eat a higher carb diet.

So for now, I am trying to keep calories below 2000, up my carbs (including starches), and drinking a couple glasses of red wine at night. If I can at least maintain my loss, that will have to be good enough for now. If I can stabilize for a while, I will do another push later this year and try to lose another 15 or 20 pounds. And then stabilize there for a while. Just don't want to gain back what I fought so hard to lose.

Talked to a new compounding pharmacist. He has worked with my doctor before and knows exactly what I need (and it is a fraction of what the other pharmacist charged). So maybe with the proper dosage of testosterone I will do better.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:55 AM   #139

That sounds like a solid plan of attack Rich. Glad you found a good pharmacist to work with. Keep posting what you're up too, it's good to see what you think on issues.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like a good plan, Rich. It's fine to take a break! I remember my doctor telling me to lose some weight and then take some time to just maintain for awhile before I tried to lose any more. Let your body get used to where it's at, then see if you can lose some more a bit down the road.

Good luck! Keep checking in - it's been really interesting following your progress!
Old 09-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Bobby and Antonya. It's nice to have you guys checking up on me.

Talked to nurse at doc's office. This was not the nurse I like. This one doesn't seem to have a clue. It's frustrating when I leave a voice mail for the good nurse and have the "no nothing" nurse call me back.

I explained what was happening and she checked with doc. Said to start taking Balance D again. I said I had restarted a week ago. She also said to take glutamine, that I had cravings because my blood sugar was too low. I said I had no symptoms of low blood sugar. She suggested I set up a phone appointment with doc (fee). I like this doc but didn't think the nurse's response was appropriate.

When I had my last appointment (about 3 weeks ago), I explained to the doctor that my body was acting the same way it always had in the past, and that I didn't feel that the supplements were helping enough to get me through the next few weeks. So I had already put the doc on notice about what I felt was going on. So when I called and confirmed what we had already discussed, I thought I should have been given a more thought out answer than take glutamine. Maybe she's is right, but I can't believe it is always at the same weight that my blood sugar gets low.

I increased the amount of testosterone I was using and felt no improvement at all from it. I'm thinking that since it was not mixed properly, there probably isn't much testosterone left in the cream. Should get the new stuff in a couple of days. The compounding pharmacist is in a city about 70 miles from here so he is mailing it to me.

Need to be careful this week. If I let the carbs get out of control, I will have trouble keeping the weight off. Figuring out the right balance is hard. I may try "Carbohydrate Addict's Diet" or some variation of it. The original version of this diet was 2 low carb meals and one free meal a day. The free meal had to be eaten within 1 hour. I did this many years ago with some success. I think I will do my regular bacon and eggs for breakfast, a Lean Cuisine for lunch, and then my free meal for dinner. That way I can have my baked potato and wine and still be on plan. So maybe this would be a good plan to use for a month or so and see how my weight does.

Tomorrow will be a long day. Have an interview out of town - about 150 miles from here. So 3 hours to get there - interview - 3 hour drive back. Hope my brain is working for the interview. If it is about experience I will do great. If they ask a bunch of questions about educational theories, I may be in trouble. My recall isn't very good and I doubt if I can remember which names go with which theories. My plan is to know 3 theories and work them into my answers. Isn't that what politicians do. Learn talking points and then give that as the answer, regardless of the question?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Good luck with the interview! I guess it's today, huh? How did it go? Are you a teacher?

Theories are good to know, but it's more important to know what works in which situation - kind of like losing weight!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

You know how they advertise one job and when you go for the interview, it is nothing like the ad? The ad described the position as project manager for course development and the actual job is e-learning developer. I can do either, but I was more interested in project management. I have a lot of experience, training, and education in this field and the interview went well, but I think they might be looking for an entry level person. I should know in a week or 2.

I started out good today - eggs and bacon. Did a short workout - seemed extra strong today. Did leg workout with much heavier weights than last workout. Stopped for groceries and somehow a 1/2 gallon of ice cream ended up in my basket. Ate it for lunch. Wish I knew what is causing the craving. It seems to be a mouth/tongue craving if that makes any sense. Like I crave the taste of ice cream. So maybe I can come up with a low carb - low calorie substitute.

Dinner was fine - just the darn ice cream.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #144

If it weren't so serious it would be funny. Ice cream is my weakness to Rich, I can so relate. My girls know not to let me know when they buy ice cream and I avoid the freezer for the most part.

Maybe figure that was your cheat meal for the week and move on?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Hi Rich!

Okay, this may sound dumb, but what about some nice whole milk plain yogurt? With fresh fruit and almonds, or something like that? or even some low-fat vanilla yogurt? Might help your sweet, creamy cravings.

I hear people raving about Greek yogurt, which I have yet to try, but I want to!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonya View Post
Hi Rich!

Okay, this may sound dumb, but what about some nice whole milk plain yogurt? With fresh fruit and almonds, or something like that? or even some low-fat vanilla yogurt? Might help your sweet, creamy cravings.

I hear people raving about Greek yogurt, which I have yet to try, but I want to!
I tried that before and I had trouble with portion control. Still, it would be better than eating a 1/2 gallon of ice cream.

I just made a variation of the coconut bark - cream cheese, peanut butter, coconut oil, chocolate, Splenda. I'm going to try just having a piece of this when I get a craving for ice cream and see if that will be a good substitute.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #147

Are we brothers from another mother or something? Sounds like we can easily have the same eating habits. So far I've been relying on cheese to keep me from the cravings. I eat 8 ounces of pepperjack cheese nearly every day. If it weren't for that I'm sure I'd have fallen of the wagon long ago. I know it's allot of calories, but it beats me eating the sweet stuff and losing control.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Are we brothers from another mother or something? Sounds like we can easily have the same eating habits. So far I've been relying on cheese to keep me from the cravings. I eat 8 ounces of pepperjack cheese nearly every day. If it weren't for that I'm sure I'd have fallen of the wagon long ago. I know it's allot of calories, but it beats me eating the sweet stuff and losing control.
I love cheese, but it is pretty high in calories and stalls me. Once in a while I will have some in my eggs but that's about it.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

My energy has been good for the last 4 days. Somehow I need to reduce carbs and keep the energy level up. I also have been using the new testosterone cream for 4 days. Coincidence?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #150

I bet the new testosterone is helping allot too. Where are you at carbwise?