Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Tried to work out. Body said "hell no". I did about half my aerobics and 1/3 of the weights and left. Feel very anxious. Blood pressure is perfect and heart rate normal.

Going to do what usually gets me feeling better. Wine (lots of it), steak, baked potato, and salad. This seems to balance me out for some reason. I probably should be monitoring blood sugar to see if that is related to problem. If not, I don't have any idea.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #92
Its Not A Problem! :)

Gallery: Bobby
Stats: 398/355/250
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart July 1st
Have you been going pretty low on the carbs lately? I know I'm needing more to get the exercises done that's for sure.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby41 View Post
Have you been going pretty low on the carbs lately? I know I'm needing more to get the exercises done that's for sure.
I don't think its carbs. I'm not having a strength problem. I can't really define how I feel - light headed at times, anxious, hungry, moody. Male PMS I guess!

I changed from packaged testosterone to compounded testosterone last week and I'm thinking that might be related to the problem. It comes in a plastic container and somehow I am supposed to figure out how much of the cream is a daily dose. The container is a 30 day supply, so I marked off quarters to try to give me an idea how much to take each day. Maybe I am taking too much. Going to skip it tomorrow and see if I feel better.

Only had a small bottle of wine here so only had a couple of glasses!

Leptin is Cool
Old 08-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #94

About the testosterone thing, the more I take the better I feel, I'm on a daily dose of Andrgel. I used to get the shots, and I liked them best, only they didn't last but about 8-10 days and I was getting shots every other week. Don't skip a day, you may not be getting enough, ask your Dr how many pumps you are supposed to use each day. Or ask the pharmasist.

Yep, male PMS is what I would call it too when I feel like that.

Last edited by Bobby; 08-19-2008 at 08:03 PM..
Old 08-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Antonya
Stats: 142
WOE: Starting over with SB!
Start Date: April 2009
Hi Rich!

I know I've nagged you about this before, but have you had your TSH, T4 and T3 tested by a regular allopathic doctor? If not, you should do so before messing around with any thyroid treatments. The symptoms you describe could absolutely have to do with thyroid issues, or hypoglycemia...

Good luck! Wishing you all the best.
Antonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonya View Post
Hi Rich!

I know I've nagged you about this before, but have you had your TSH, T4 and T3 tested by a regular allopathic doctor? If not, you should do so before messing around with any thyroid treatments. The symptoms you describe could absolutely have to do with thyroid issues, or hypoglycemia...

Good luck! Wishing you all the best.
Hi Antonya. New picture! I like it.

Yes, my T3 is a little low. Doctor made a decision to treat low testosterone first thinking it might bring up T3. From the research I have done, I think the preferred treatment is either to treat thyroid first or to treat both thyroid and testosterone at same time. Doctor is going to being doing blood tests next week to determine what to try next.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
About the testosterone thing, the more I take the better I feel, I'm on a daily dose of Andrgel. I used to get the shots, and I liked them best, only they didn't last but about 8-10 days and I was getting shots every other week. Don't skip a day, you may not be getting enough, ask your Dr how many pumps you are supposed to use each day. Or ask the pharmasist.

Yep, male PMS is what I would call it too when I feel like that.
Hey Bobbie. How much Androgel are you taking. I was doing 8 pumps a day for 30 days and didn't feel any better (or worse). I have only been taking the compounded testosterone for a week which is about when the cravings and hunger started. That's why I think I might be over-medicated now. Now I am taking 1 gram a day and I don't know how to relate to Androgel dosage.

The compounded testosterone just comes in a pill container. The only way to determine dosage seems to be to eyeball it. I asked the pharmacist how I was supposed to figure out how much to put on and he said it was difficult - I just had to estimate it. I also noticed that the first day I used it that the testosterone had separated from the cream. I just shook it up and then applied it. I'm wondering if the testosterone maybe isn't evenly distributed in the cream and one day I may get a very week dosage and one day a very high dosage. Anyway, I am going to skip it for a day and see if the anxiousness disappears.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #98

Hey Rich, mine comes in individual little packages. It says on the pharm label 1% gel (50MG) 30x5GM, then on another part of the box it says it contains 5 grams per unit dose. Hope that helps.

About the seperation and all, yeah you may not be getting enough some days over others it would seem. That would bite. I really think you should apply it every day, even if you are getting less right now, you would get some and that's a whole lot better than none. Plus it would mean you would get alot later, which would be an even better thing.

For the anxiousness I'm taking effexor cr. I didn't take my test like I was supposed to for a while and I'm thinking it threw me into a depression. They had me take the effexor and it sems to be ok, now I just have to talk to the Dr about getting off the effexor, definatly don't want to just drop that I guess, from what I've read.

Seriously, is there any way you can go on the shots? If you can and they say you can have them every week I would do that, if they say every two weeks stick to what you're doing. I did the bi monthly shots, it's a pain going in all the time to get the shot, but MAN was it some good stuff! I'm just saying But like I said earlier, the down side is feeling like do do for the 4 days or so until the next shot.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #99

I just realized you said you were taking 1 gram a day compared to my 5 gram dosage.

I'll tell you something I remember about the shots, the wife said I was more offish/aggressive/I don't know what ever she meant, but I felt great. I think it was more I was on the down side of curve as I was low and just picking up. But she said after a couple of days that I seemed like my old normal self, which I felt fine until I started dipping down again on days 10-14. I hope I'm explaining this right.

Last edited by Bobby; 08-20-2008 at 09:04 AM..
Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just realized you said you were taking 1 gram a day compared to my 5 gram dosage.
There must be a difference in what they are measuring. I was taking 10 grams per day of Androgel and didn't see any improvement. I think that is 10 gram of Androgel, not testosterone. I couldn't find on the Androgel site how much testosterone is in 1 dose. It doesn't make sense that my doctor would have changed my dosage from 10 grams to 1 gram.

ETA: Just found this.

AndroGel contains 1 percent testosterone. A 5 g dose of AndroGel contains 50 mg of testosterone, a 7.5 g dose contains 75 mg of testosterone and a 10 g dose contains 100 mg of testosterone.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #101

Good find!
That makes sense. Now if I could just talk my Dr into the 10G dose Not going to happen, I guess my levels are well within normal range with this dosage.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Talked to nurse about problems. She said the compounded testosterone was supposed to be packaged in syringes - 1 per dose. Not to inject, but just for dosage purposes. Also said testosterone should not have separated from cream. Seems I need to find a different compounding pharmacy.

Feel better today so will try testosterone again tomorrow.

I stopped taking Betain HCL because it gave me a stomach ache. Doctor said that indicated I didn't need it any more so not to take it again

Also said I could stop supplements if I didn't think they were helping.

Going to get blood work done on Friday so doctor will have labs back by my appointment next week. I sure hope the labs nail down the problem.

No exercise today. Still didn't feel right this morning.

Food on plan today.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
Talked to nurse about problems. She said the compounded testosterone was supposed to be packaged in syringes - 1 per dose. Not to inject, but just for dosage purposes. Also said testosterone should not have separated from cream. Seems I need to find a different compounding pharmacy.

Feel better today so will try testosterone again tomorrow.
I'm glad you talked to your nurse about it. How long before you can have the new testosterone or did you get it today? The syringes would have made it a heck of alot easier. Did she say how many grams of test were to be in each syringe, ie: did they back you off your dosage?
Old 08-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm glad you talked to your nurse about it. How long before you can have the new testosterone or did you get it today? The syringes would have made it a heck of a lot easier. Did she say how many grams of test were to be in each syringe, ie: did they back you off your dosage?
I skipped the testosterone today and will start again tomorrow. I am using the cream I already have (you know how expensive it is) and will just make sure I don't use too much. If the anxiety starts up again I will just stop taking it until I see the doc. She will adjust the dose next week based on lab results.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #105

Yes I do know how expensive it is. Good plan too!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Antonya
Stats: 142
WOE: Starting over with SB!
Start Date: April 2009
Hi again! Thanks for the compliment on my new avi!:blush:

I'm glad you are feeling better. I have anxiety myself and I got triggered by you saying you had it! Hormones definitely play a role in anxiety. Also, there is a lot of stress involved in trying to figure our health issues. I tend to get anxiety when I'm overwhelmed. The thing that always helps me is rest - which reminds me, how is your sleep these days?

Bobby, you are absolutely right not to just stop taking the Effexor - never a good idea with anti-depressants.
Antonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonya View Post
I'm glad you are feeling better. I have anxiety myself and I got triggered by you saying you had it! Hormones definitely play a role in anxiety. Also, there is a lot of stress involved in trying to figure our health issues. I tend to get anxiety when I'm overwhelmed. The thing that always helps me is rest - which reminds me, how is your sleep these days?
I don't suffer from anxiety, but that was the only word I could think of to describe how I felt yesterday, After thinking about what could have caused it, I think I probably had too large a dose of testosterone. My sleep is a little better. I usually fall asleep within an hour of going to bed (instead of the 2-3 hours it used to take). I still wake up several times during the night. I think if/when I get my hormones straightened out, my sleep will improve even more.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Got my exercise in today. I felt like I was starting over. My body seems to forget it is supposed to be getting stronger.

Didn't take testosterone today as I thought I was going to have lab work done today. Nurse never called me to say she had faxed script to the lab. And the doc's office is closed tomorrow.

I have been falling asleep every chance I got since last weekend. Sleep about 7 hours at night and then 2-3 hour nap in afternoon. It is not normal for me to take a nap. I wish I knew what my body was doing! I don't know if I am getting better or worse. Frustrating.

Food was good today. Fresh tomatoes, peppers, onions, and spinach from the garden. Made a salsa that I had over spicy ground beef with a couple dabs of sour cream on a bed of spinach.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #109

You're still taking your vitamins right? Are you still getting those b12 shots?
Old 08-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You're still taking your vitamins right? Are you still getting those b12 shots?
Still taking vitamins. I had 2 B12 shots -I had good energy about 5 days after the 1st shot. Could have been from the shot, could have been the burst of energy I get after starting low carb, could have been from all the supplements I started taking, etc. 2nd shot had no affect at all.

My blood sugar level is up a little - starting checking it a few days ago when this started. Fasting, before and after meals, all a little high. Blood pressure and heart rate are normal. Something is screwing with my body!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

What a difference a day makes. Had a good workout today. Food was good. Energy and mood are better.

Its all relative though. I still don't have the energy I had the 1st month.

Doc's office never faxed the script to the lab for my blood work. I can appreciate they are busy, but I gave them 1 1/2 days to get it done. I'm trying to minimize costs and maximize my time with the doctor. Its not like them to not even call me back to tell me they couldn't get it done this week.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Prescription showed up in the mail. That wasted a couple of days.

Food was OK over the weekend. No exercise. Slept a lot. Used testosterone Saturday but not Sunday. I am having blood work done tomorrow and not supposed to use testosterone for at least 12 hours.

Dropped a couple of pounds. Didn't record it yet as my weight has been bouncing around. Will record on Tuesday whatever it is.

The more I read, the more I think I need T3 supplement as well as testosterone. Will talk to Dr about that this week.

Last edited by beachguy; 08-24-2008 at 05:53 PM..
Old 08-26-2008, 05:51 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Start Week 13

End Week 12
Weight loss for week 12 - 3 lbs.
Weight loss since restarting - 35 lbs
Total Weight Loss - 60 lbs
Pounds to Goal - 40 lbs

Well, after a few weeks of no loss, I'll take 3 pounds this week.

There's no question the testosterone is messing with my body. Yesterday (applied testosterone Sat and Monday) I felt great. By the end of the day I was so wired I couldn't sleep - tossed and turned all night. This morning my stomach is tied in knots. I'm guessing the dosage may be too high so I will skip today and see how I feel.

Exercise was good yesterday but may have to skip today. Food has been OK, but I was a little hungry yesterday. Again I think this is related to the testosterone. Man, getting healthy is hard work.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #114

Congrats on the loss! Maybe use have the dosage everyday for a while might work better for you, what do you think?

And you ain't just a kidding getting healthy is hard work! When I get there I better stay there, it's too much work getting there.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Congrats on the loss! Maybe use have the dosage everyday for a while might work better for you, what do you think?

And you ain't just a kidding getting healthy is hard work! When I get there I better stay there, it's too much work getting there.
Yes, I'm switching to 2 dabs instead of 3 dabs a day (really precise measurement). Have to hope that the good days will keep increasing and soon I will have more good days than bad. The biggest positive is that my cravings are mostly under control. I know how to lowcarb, its just that the cravings have always done me in in the past.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Well, this was the best doctor's appointment I have ever had. After the nurse did her stuff with me I had to wait almost 45 minutes for the doctor - so I did my stretching and back exercises. Appointment was good not because of improvements in my health, but because I think I am starting to understand what is happening with my body and I believe that the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train this time!

The reason she hasn't treated me for hypothyroidism is because I have a vitamin D deficiency. I have been taking vitamin D for 12 weeks and I was getting as much sun as possible, but the labs showed little improvement in vitamin D so she gave me a shot. From what I understand, the proper functioning of the thyroid is dependent on vitamin D, so I should get a boost in energy within the next couple of days.

My total cholesterol and ldl are too high so I am starting to take Niacin again and increasing fish oil. Triglycerides and HDL are OK, but ratios are too high.

She agreed with my suggestion that I start taking l-Tyrosine for energy and focus. Need to get some ordered.

Am also starting lypozyme which is supposed to:
# Lower Cholesterol
# Fat reduction
# Feeling of satiety
# Lower triglycerides
# Balancing fatty acids
# Improved fat digestion
We both think the problem I am having with testosterone is that it is not mixed properly and I am not getting a consistent dosage. So for now, I will remix it every day before applying. In the future, I will use a pharmacy that she recommends to her local patients.

My next appointment is in 3 months so I should know by then then if the plan is working. If it is, I should be approaching my goal weight around then.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #117

That's some really good news. A buddy of mine at work swears by vitamin D. Now I think I'll have to look into it and the other stuff you're talking about.

Feeling any different with the vitamin D shot yet?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Feeling any different with the vitamin D shot yet?
I used the push mower for an hour, worked out for an hour, sprayed the driveway to kill weeds, sprayed the garden to encourage the bugs to leave, so yes, either the vitamin D or the l-tyrosine (or both) have given me a burst of energy today. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Something else I find interesting. You get vitamin D almost exclusively from the sun (and in vitamin form) - there is very little in food. Now this is the interesting part. I have owned convertibles for over 30 years. And twice, I sold my house and business and moved to the beach. So I think I have been deficient in vitamin D all my adult life and my body tried to compensate by getting as much sun as possible - the convertible and the beach. But since my body does not do a good job of converting sun light to vitamin D, the deficiency got worse and worse and my fatigue also got worse and worse.

Last edited by beachguy; 08-29-2008 at 04:54 PM..
Old 08-31-2008, 05:34 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Well, the energy burst only lasted for 1 day. Its not bad now, but not enough that I am happy about having to work in the garden today!

Food was OK except for - - - cashews. They were on sale - buy 1 can, get 1 free. So I ate both cans the same day. I have no portion control when it comes to things like nuts and ice cream, so I just can't have them in the house. Weight jumped up a little and it took 2 days of clean eating to get back to where I was, but I did it. Have to accept that these little bumps in the road may happen, but that can't stop me from the journey.

Louisiana is going to be devastated by this storm. News is just focusing on New Orleans, but cities and towns like Morgan City and New Iberia are going to get hammered. Even Lafayette, which last time housed a lot of NO people is right in the path. Hope they make it OK.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:56 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Start Week 14

End Week 13
Weight loss for week 13 - 1 lb.
Weight loss since restarting - 36 lbs
Total Weight Loss - 61 lbs
Pounds to Goal - 39 lbs

Only lost 1 lb this week, but I ate too many cashews and also a lot of fruit. So I am probably holding on to a little water weight that should come off this week.

Exercise was pretty good last week. Food was OK except for too many cashews (2 cans in 1 day). Sleep was not very good - taking too long to get to sleep and waking too many times during the night.

Energy is still not good on a consistent basis. Have good energy some days and other days don't. Still have to hope that as I continue to lose weight and take my supplements that I will continue to see improvements.

I am in the weight range that is usually a killer for me. Have to really make sure I eat on plan and eat enough. It probably is more important that I eat enough (especially fat) than that I lose 2 pounds a week. 245 has been the killer weight several times before, so as I get closer to it I have to make sure I have plenty of fuel and don't resort to binging.