Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
I at least opened the callenetics book! Not much to report. Food isn't a problem. Exercise was good. Energy is just OK - wish it were better.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2008, 05:25 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Start Week 8

Weight loss for week 7 - 4 lbs.
Weight loss since starting - 28 lbs.

Not having any trouble eating on plan. My carbs are probably a little high as I am eating so many fresh vegetables from the garden, but I am still losing at a good rate so no problem.

Back is still hurting but not as much. Walking is still the main exercise since it doesn't hurt very much to walk.

Learned something interesting yesterday. I feel that my energy is low - but if I get out and work in the garden or yard, I can go for hours. So this energy thing is tricky. I don't know if it is mood, attitude, or what, but I think maybe my energy level is OK, just something in my brain doesn't know it! I want to wake up every morning with the attitude to take on the world - and win!

Just a note so I don't forget. I have been having rather severe pain in both hips for about 4 months. About 2 hours after I had the shot of B12 and Thiamine last week, the pain went away. The next morning it came back in my right hip, but my left hip is still painfree. Just did a quick chck and found several articles related to thiamine and arthritis so others have discovered this as well.

Leptin is Cool

Last edited by beachguy; 07-22-2008 at 05:39 AM..
Old 07-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise and eating good. Energy is good today - so 6 days after B12 shot.

Talked to nurse at doctor's office about taking Thiamine for arthritis pain in right hip (as the B12/thiamine shot got rid of pain in left hip). She talked to doctor who said to try it.

Back still hurts in morning. It takes about 30 minutes of walking to start loosening up. By the time I get home from workout, pain is pretty much gone. Next morning its back again.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Food was mostly OK (too much half/half). Exercise was good. Energy is OK - not great but OK.

Sinuses are congested and breathing a little difficult. Wonder what is causing that? The only food I had today that was differentfrom what I have been eating was tuna fish.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:21 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Hi Rich, You are doing awesome. I'm very impressed by your natural approach to weight loss. That has been a goal that I've not yet been able to accomplish, especially because of the artificial sweeteners. I'm just wondering if you are substituting stevia or are you just staying away completey from artificial sweeteners. If you are staying away from them entirely, do you miss them and how long did it take you to get over it. I've tried stevia but it is not my first choice because it takes me some getting use to again but I'm going to give it a try again today.

Stay strong. You are doing fabulous.
Lost 100 pounds, my story
DENMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:48 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Linda. The whole foods are more an accident than anything. I planted a large garden with the idea of selling surplus at the Farmer's Market. I later decided to use this year to learn about gardening and put off the farmer's market until next year. So, since I'm not selling them (the vegetables), I have to give them away and eat as many as I can.

Yesterday, I froze some peppers and made tomato paste from tomatoes. Today I plan on drying about 30 more tomatoes and some popcorn.

I haven't given up artificial sweetners - still drink diet coke, use Sweet-n-Low in my coffee, and use Splenda. They don't cause cravings so that is one thing I am not giving up right now.

Too many carbs yesterday so minimum carbs today. Need to get the scale moving again.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Scale was up a pound today. Think it was from eating figs off the tree. As I was walking by the tree I noticed they were ripe and tried one. That lead to about 10. So probably a little too much sugar for me.

Will try an all protein day today.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Start Week 9

Weight loss for week 8 - 1 lb.
Weight loss since starting - 29 lbs.

I seem to be floundering a little. This usually happens about this point. Skip breakfast some mornings because I'm not hungry then eat too much at dinner. Resorting to all protein days to make up for too many carbs. Need to get back to eating the way the plan is written.

My exercise is still good and at least I lost a pound last week. I really want to make goal by end of year so need to step it up. Haven't started taking Thiamine yet as the pain in my left hip is still gone and the pain in right hip comes and goes. I want to see what happens with it before I start taking another supplement.

Figs are a problem for me right now. I have a large fig tree right next to the brick path to the house. If you have never had ripe figs right off the tree, they are as sweet as a fresh picked peach. Really hard to walk by and not pick a few. I have some in the dehydrator right now for winter snacks. Might try to make fig preserves using Splenda.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Best workout in a long while. Still not back to where I was last summer, but definitely improving. Darn figs are still winning. They ripen so fast it seems like every time I walk by, another 10-20 have ripened.

Food was OK. Ate a lot of starch at dinner - potatoes, turnip, sweet corn. This is almost the end of the corn so couldn't pass it up.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Good exercise today. Food OK. Did a couple of hours of hard, physical work in the yard.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #71
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Hey Rich!!! Bet those good exercise days can be attributed to the figs!!! Don't worry too much ... 1 pound down is really good .. and fig season will be over at some point, ya know?!

You're doing great Bud!!!!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Pauline. I stayed away from the fig tree yesterday - and was rewarded with a 2 pound loss. I might have to cut the tree down.

This is the 2nd weekend in a row I slept a lot. Slept in Sat morning and then long nap on Saturday afternoon. Went to bed at 1 pm and was asleep by 1:30. Don't know if this is good or bad.

Doctor is going to change my testosterone dosage. So far it (testosterone) has not been much of a help. She thinks I might have trouble absorbing it.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ravae11
Stats: 210/128
WOE: modified greysheet
Start Date: July 8, 1986
I looooooooove figs glad I don't have a tree near me. the grocery store is temptation enough

I too have struggled with a bad back in the past. Two hears ago I remember thinking I would be in a walker by the time I'm 65, thatls only ten years away. Now my back is 95% better 100% on some days.

A couple things that have helped me are the destressing journey I am on. I really have come to believe stress was the cause of most if not all of the unwanted things in my life.

and the temperpedic bed I have slept on for the last few years. They are expensive but I think you can get the pads with the same material for cheaper at Costco.

Maybe you have already thought and doing these things, but thought it couldn't hurt to mention.

It's all in my mind.
ravae11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Hi raviae,

I just bought this house last year so this is my first experience with the fig tree. I'm not that much of a fruit eater, but I love fresh figs.

I've tried just about everything short of surgery for my back. I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, and it takes me about 45 minutes to get the endorphins flowing enough that my back doesn't hurt. Then I'm fine for the rest of the day. Next morning, same thing.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:35 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Start Week 10

Weight loss for week 9 - 3 lb.
Weight loss since starting - 32 lbs

Darn refrigerator is dieing a slow death. Yesterday I noticed ice maker wasn't making any ice, then I noticed some food in freezer was partially thawed. Refrigerator still seemed cold. Put thermometer in over night and refrigerator is only cooling down to low 50's. Had to throw a lot of stuff out as I didn't have enough coolers to save everything. Need to go to Home Depot and buy new frig today.

Last week was fairly good on food. I have so many potatoes in garden I ate a few. And had some figs almost every day. Otherwise, OK.

Exercise was great.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise good. Still doing mostly cardio. Next week changing to more weight training.

Food OK. Still eating too many figs. New frig this afternoon. Had to throw out just about all the food in frig.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Just noticed my sleep has improved some. Many nights I have fallen asleep within an hour of going to bed. And I seem to be getting into a deeper sleep although I still wake up several times during the night. I think part of the reason I wake up is I take in too many fluids after dinner.

Also, brain fog is lifting a little. I am actually starting to work on a pretty complex project I have put off for a couple of years.

It seems that the supplements are really improving my overall health. I have been taking the supplement for a little over 2 months and was starting to think they weren't going to help. But just maybe I am on my way to good health and appropriate weight.

Food was OK. Exercise was good. Going to start BFL exercise program next week.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Back acting up again. Started doing back exercises yesterday and will make that part of my regular exercise routine.

Food OK, but felt hungry all day yesterday. Something is causing me to have a slightly upset stomach which makes me want to eat something to calm it. I think its a trick my body plays on me to try to get me to eat junk. I'm not falling for it this time.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #79
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I'm having one of those days too Rich!! I think Oprah once said that it's the little fat cells, screaming for mercy "save me! save me! Eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You keep strong and I'll keep strong! Can't let those ugly little guys win when we're doing so well! ya know!

TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so hungry today. Ate my normal breakfast and then had to cook a steak at 10:30 am. Haven't dropped any lbs for several days so maybe this is a Whoosh coming on. Had some peanut butter while waiting for the steak to cook, but at least didn't eat the whole jar.

Just going to try avoiding too many carbs today but not worry about calories. No exercise as I want to give my back another day of rest.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise good today. Trying to get to 1 1/2 hr 5 days a week.

Improved sleep only lasted a few days. I am getting really frustrated with lack of improvement in sleep, energy, mood, and weight loss. My body is following the same pattern it has for the last 8 years. I can lose easily down to 270 and then its a fight for every pound. Something just isn't working right.

Started compounded testosterone today. Maybe that will make a difference.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Start Week 11

Weight loss for week 10 - 0 lb.
Weight loss since restarting - 32 lbs
Total Weight Loss - 57 lbs

My food was good, exercise was good, but no weight loss. I even quit eating figs (maybe I should start eating them again).

Had a slightly upset stomach all week. The only thing I can think of that might be causing it is the Betain HCL Pepsin tablets I take with meals. This is hydrochloric acid that is supposed to help break down food and improve absorption. I think I will stop taking them for a while and see if things improve.

Started Body For Life (BFL) exercise program. Instead of obsessing about weight loss, I will obsess about exercise for a while. I do a lot more cardio than BFL calls for but I use it as a warmup and to relax my back muscles. It takes about 30 minutes of walking to really get the endorphins flowing so that I can exercise all out.

Starting body measurements.

Neck - 19"
Chest - 49"
Waist - 50"
Hips - 46"
Thighs - 25"
Calves - 18"
Biceps - 15"
Old 08-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday was bad. Bought and ate 1/2 gallon of ice cream. I came up with a few things that might have caused me to go off plan.
  • I have been cutting calories because my weight loss has just about stopped.
  • I had a protein shake rather than bacon and eggs for breakfast.
  • I am extremely frustrated that after 10 weeks of supplements and testosterone, I do not feel any better than before I started.
  • I am frustrated that my weight loss is following the exact same pattern. Lose down to 270 and then have to fight for every pound.
Exercise is good. I am changing to just 4 days a week to give my body more time to recover. I have been doing 5 days a week and am sore all the time and back hurts. So I figure I will work out Mon, Tue, Thur, and Fri. I'm hoping taking Wed off will help me recover.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Was able to eat on plan today with no problem. Had a salad today for the 1st time in several weeks and think I need to have a salad every day. Used the push mower for an hour for exercise.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #85
Its Not A Problem! :)

Gallery: Bobby
Stats: 398/355/250
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart July 1st
Good job getting back on plan Rich. Are you still doing BFL?
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby41 View Post
Good job getting back on plan Rich. Are you still doing BFL?
Hey Bobbie,

Yes, but exercise part only. I do legs, abs, and lower back on Monday/Thursday and arms, chest, and upper back on Tuesday/Friday. I also walk at least 2 miles 4 days a week. Some days I add in stationary bike. I'm using weight machines now and plan on doing this for a month and then switching to free weights for a month.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #87

That looks like a great plan. You're doing really good getting down to 263.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise was good. I'm adding in a little bit of running (very little). I think it helps tighten up my stomach and chest a little.

Food was good. Have some great spinach in the garden. Mixed it with salad greens for a great salad.

Down a pound finally - 1 lb in 2 weeks. I need to be smart about it this time and not resort to skipping meals. I need to develop a longer term approach to losing weight than determining success or failure on a weekly basis. Maybe a month would work and be less stressful.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Start Week 12

Weight loss for week 11 - 0 lb.
Weight loss since restarting - 32 lbs
Total Weight Loss - 57 lbs

Weight was up 1 lb this morning (don't know why) so no weight loss for 2 weeks straight.

Have a doctor's appointment next week that may get pretty intense. I have spent a several thousand dollars with this doctor and little noticeable improvement in mood, sleep, motivation, energy, brain fog, and weight loss. I feel like I always do when I low carb - a lot better than when I eat carbs - but body is just not functioning right.

I'm guessing the next thing to try is thyroid treatment.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #90

Good job maintaining Rich, one pound can easily be a little water retention.

Looking forward to what you report on the thyroid treatment stuff.