Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Good news - down 2 pounds this morning so I don't have to use ****** yet. I'm not very good at keeping close records so that's a good thing.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Start Week 4

Week 3 - Lost 3 lbs for a total of 18 lbs in first 3 weeks.

Alright, here's where it starts getting tough. 270 has been my first plateau weight and I am approaching it. I usually can lose right down too it and then nothing.

It will be 2 or 3 weeks before I get to 270, but I'm interested to see if the supplements help me break through it.

Food has not really been a problem. Sleep is still a problem. Doctor recommended increasing 5-HTP and Magnesium which has helped some with sleep. The bad thing is that if I wake up at 7, get up for a few minutes, and lay back down, I fall asleep for a couple more hours. And then I feel kind of groggy when I get up. Don't know if the extra 2 hours sleep is good or if I should just not go back to bed. Hopefully this will work out as I find the right amount of 5-HTP and Magnesium to take.

Leptin is Cool
Old 06-25-2008, 06:24 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Sore all over today for some unknown reason.

Have to get more blood drawn. Lab ran out of blood before they completed all the labs. Probably because the inexperienced nurse tore my arm up trying to draw blood. Had a large bruise for a week.

Food OK. Start testosterone tomorrow. Started DHEA yesterday.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Had good energy and sense of well being yesterday. The 2 things that have changed (supplement wise) are the addition of Vitamin D and DHEA. I'll have to do some research on each of these and see if I can determine which causes what!

Food good, exercise good, sleep still not so good.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Felt OK today - not great - just OK. Food is OK. Increased exercise a little.

Going to wait until next week to start testosterone. I want to give the Vitamin D and DHEA a week before I make any more changes.

Also need to start testing blood sugar but haven't taken the time to read the instructions yet.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Scale is going the wrong way. Choices were OK - quantity was not. As much as I enjoyed the oopsies, I couldn't control my portions. Too much cream cheese and organic peanut butter yesterday. Ate clean today so I should be back on track. My resolve is starting to weaken and don't know how much longer I can survive on just will power.

The supplements don't seem to be improving my energy, mood, or appetite control. My sleep is a little better and nightly trips to the bathroom are reduced.

The one thing that did seem to help was the B12 shot. I'm waiting on the results of my B12 lab, but doctor's office is closed all this week for holiday.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Coconutty
WOE: hCG/Simeons Protocol, R4P3
Start Date: 10/13/2009
Hey Rich,
Hang in there!! You're going great. Some of our days are better than others, but you got back on track right away. That's the important thing. How come you feel like you have to depend on willpower? Do you find your appetite is unreasonable?
Coconutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Alisa,

My appetite was/is under control, but certain foods seem to set off cravings. The oopsies really caused me a problem with portion control which led to overeating which led to loss of appetite control. My doctor warned me about dairy and I think she was right. A little cream in my coffee is OK, Ranch dressing is OK, but I really need to stay away from cream cheese and limit hard cheese.

When I said it comes down to will power, what I meant is that the supplements are not giving me the hoped for support (yet). With my sleep problems and fatigue, my body keeps sending me messages that it needs something - which usually results in overeating or eating off plan. So what I meant was I need to try to tough it out until the doctor can get my body working right.

Rich
Old 06-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Really good exercise day. Not where I was a year ago, but definitely on my way back.

Food was good - green beans, pepper, carrots, onions, fresh herbs from the garden.

I also think I had a 4 hour block of sleep - instead of the typical 2 hours. Last night I think I slept for 2 hours, woke up, slept for 2 more hours, woke up, and then slept for 4 hours. Maybe that is why my energy was so good today.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Coconutty
WOE: hCG/Simeons Protocol, R4P3
Start Date: 10/13/2009
I'm glad that today was a better day for you. I hope you get some relief from your supplements very soon!

If it's the dairy in the oopsies that are causing you problems, you can substitute the cream cheese with mayo. I made some with mayo for the first time last night and they taste just about the same.
Coconutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Start Week 5

Weight loss for week - 0 lbs.
Weight loss since starting - 18 lbs.

I feel good and bad about last week. Too much cream cheese and peanut butter, and overeating led to a 3 lb weight gain, but I got back on track and lost the 3 lbs by the end of the week.

I've got to stay tough. This might be the last try for me. It is frustrating to be able to succeed at so many things but to repeatedly fail at losing this weight.

Sleep was terrible last night. And I had a bad headache which seemed similar to the ones I got when I first started taking 5-HTP. I wonder if I have increased my serotonin level to the point I don't need so much 5-HTP?

Was planning on going to the gym again today, but decided not too. I pushed myself pretty hard yesterday and I have the aches and pains today to prove it. I think I am better off letting my body recover and going on Wednesday.

One thing that seems to help my weight loss is to use a lot of EVOO. Maybe that's how Rachael Ray keeps from ballooning up with all the starchy foods she eats.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Excellent workout at gym today. Back is sore - sure hope it doesn't spasm. Its been a few years since I've had crippling back pain, so I need to make sure I do a lot of stretching my back muscles.

Started testosterone today. No noticeable change yet.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Back still hurts. Did a lot of stretching at my workout today. And an icy-hot patch is helping.

Sleep not any better. Still getting headaches which I think are related to 5-HTP. Cut way back today and no headache.

Food good. Exercise good.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Back still hurts. Could be from walking (probably not) or the weights (probably).

I forgot to post that I don't have Lyme disease, tests were negative. Asked doctor if that meant I never had Lyme disease or could I have been cured? She said she couldn't tell. So I guess my arthritic pains that started about the same time as the rash are coincidental.

Food was good yesterday but scale was up this morning. Plus I exercised a lot yesterday. Shouldn't be a problem - probably just retaining water for some reason.

Today is 6 year anniversary low carbing. Every year I think this is the year I will call goal - but it hasn't happened yet. I've got about 55 lbs to go so it is certainly possible to make it this year. Hopefully my doctor will be a good partner and help me reach goal.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

I sure slept a lot over the weekend. About the same time I started testosterone, I started feeling real sleepy. I probably averaged about 12 hours sleep a day for the last 3 days. Hoping that this will change to energy when my sleep deficit is made up. Still can't fall asleep right away, but I am sleeping much later in the morning.

Good day exercising. Back up to an hour. Doing more aerobics and less weights right now. Don't want to stress my back to much.

Food is OK. Had cravings last night but a little cream and vanilla flavoring in my diet coke took care of it.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Start Week 6

Weight loss for week 5 - 2 lbs.
Weight loss since starting - 20 lbs.

Food is good and exercise is good. Weight loss has really slowed down.

Sleep has improved slightly. I still wake up during the night, but I sleep for longer periods of time. Before the longest I slept at one time was 2 hours, not I often sleep for 4 hours straight. I think this is because of the testosterone.

I was getting a headache several days in a row but this has stopped. At first, I thought this was related to 5-HTP, but I have taken a full dosage the last 2 nights with no headache.

Last edited by beachguy; 07-08-2008 at 09:50 AM..
Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Didn't feel like exercising today, but did it anyway. Did about 45 minutes of cardio - no weights.

Been dragging since I started testosterone about a week ago. Doctor said to double dosage - will start tomorrow. From what I have read, I should start to feel some improvement within a couple of days.

Cooked my vegies on the grill. Fantastic. Maybe that will get me to eat more vegies! Plus I think I feel better and lose better when I have plenty of olive oil.

My cravings have been under control since restarting over 5 weeks ago. The supplements haven't really helped my fatigue but I think they are really helping with cravings.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise was good today. Trying to replace some of my walking with more intensive aerobic exercise. Added a few weight exercises in and back held up OK. Plus I spent an hour using the push mower to cut grass.

Food was OK. Scale still not moving.

Energy was better today. Tomorrow will be 2nd full day at new dosage of testosterone, so if its going to work, I should know tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Good exercise again today. Plus another hour with the push mower. Food was OK.

Energy is OK but not what I was hoping for.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Scales had been stuck at 275 for too long, so I only had eggs, bacon, and hamburger yesterday. Rewarded with 3 lb loss - so I had been losing - just retaining water. Another all protein day today and then back to having vegies again.

Energy has been improving to where it was when I had the B12 shot, so the testosterone seems to be helping. Wonder what it would be like to take testosterone and get another B12 shot? I bet I would get caught up on all the stuff I have been putting off.

I have a lot of garden stuff to freeze and dry - tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, herbs, onions, corn. And I just replanted spinach, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, mesclun, and rutabaga for the fall. I hope to get to a more whole foods - lower carb diet when I finally get my body working right.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise today was outstanding. Food today was good. For lunch I stir fried green pepper, hot pepper, onion, tomato, garlic (all from the garden) and shrimp in coconut oil. Fantastic!

Scale stayed the same.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Start Week 7

Weight loss for week 6 - 4 lbs.
Weight loss since starting - 24 lbs.

Exercise was good today. Food also on plan. I have been using coconut oil instead of olive oil for cooking and really like the flavor.

Energy and mood has been good for several days in a row. Most likely a result of the testosterone I am taking. Sleep is better than 6 weeks ago, but still not very good.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Antonya
Stats: 142
WOE: Starting over with SB!
Start Date: April 2009
Hi Rich! Just passing through and want to say that you are doing great!!! I wish you continued success on your journey to wellness!
Antonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday was the best I have felt in weeks. Maybe I over did it. Worked out for over an hour, then spent 2 hours in the hot sun cutting grass, and then worked in the garden for an hour.

Trouble sleeping last night. Testosterone can make sleep apnia worse and I think that might be what happened. When I got up this morning, I felt like a truck had run over me. Aches and pains were back and I was extremely tired.

I hoped my workout would make me feel better so headed for gym. Wrong. Felt just as bad after workout as before. Tried taking a nap. Slept maybe an hour but still didn't feel any better. Decided to only do half dose of testosterone to see if sleep is any better tonight.

After dinner, I worked in the garden for an hour. Feel a little better.

Glad this happened today as I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Six weeks since starting with this doctor. On the plus side, weight is down, cravings are under control, and some days my energy and mood are good. On the negative side, still not sleeping well, still have brain fog (although not as bad), and energy and mood fluctuate too much.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Still felt bad today - eyes hurt, fatigue, aches and pains, backache.

Doctor recommended another B12 shot and thiamine. Also going to start Stress Arrest (GABA), Balanced-D, Omega-3 Marine, Rhodiola Rosea, Calcium, and increase Vitamin A. She tries to correct health problems with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids first - then uses prescription medicine when necessary. Right now she is trying to raise my T3.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Wait, Rich - have you been diagnosed as hypothyroid? Because I highly doubt that vitamins alone will fix that. Is she selling you these supplements? To me, that's kind of suspicious...
Antonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonya View Post
Wait, Rich - have you been diagnosed as hypothyroid? Because I highly doubt that vitamins alone will fix that. Is she selling you these supplements? To me, that's kind of suspicious...
Antonya, I can understand how it could seem that way and I appreciate your concern. I have been extremely impressed with this doctor so far. After 30+ years of doctors telling me they can't find anything wrong, this doctor is actually giving me reason to believe that I can get my health back. She knows more about men's health than my previous male urologist and male internist. And from lab tests, my vitamin A, B(s), and D are low and need supplementing. I have trouble sleeping and she is addressing this vith minerals and amino acids. She thinks the low FT3 might be secondary to something else, so she is going that route first. She is not opposed to prescribing for T3, but hopes she can solve this without having to go the prescription drug route.

I don't have to buy the supplements from her, but choose to do so because she has done the research on quality and offers prescription grade supplements. Plus I have priced them online and her prices are competitive. She has also told me cheaper options I can substitute - for example apple cider vinegar instead of Betaine.

Plus in 6 weeks I have some positives:
  • Lost 25 lbs
  • Cravings under control
  • Some days with very good energy
  • Some days with very good mood
  • Sleep a little better

I wish everyone had a doctor as good as she is. I'm a very critical shopper of most things, so this is high praise from me.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Day started out bad, but improved throughout the day. Woke up still hurting and tired. Forced myself to go to gym. I know that after about 30 minutes, the endorphins will kick in and the pain will lessen. Made sure not to do anything that would further stress my back.

By the time I had lunch I was feeling much better. Energy improved and I was able to work in the yard and garden for a few hours.

Food was on plan. Hopefully B12 shot is kicking in and tomorrow will be a great day.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Okay, Jim! Personally, I went through a period of time with a lot of "mystery ailments" (that mainly turned out to be anxiety) and I went to a lot of doctors (not m.d.'s, but naturopaths, homeopaths, chiropracters, acupuncturist, medical intuitives and on and on) that told me (and sold me) a lot of funky stuff and nothing worked...so I'm a skeptic when it comes to alternative medicine. But I'm very glad that you are feeling heard and cared for by your doctor - that's half the battle, isn't it?

25 pounds in six weeks is absolutely fabulous! And I bet as you continue to eat well and be active you will feel better and better. You should be very proud of yourself for all the positive changes you're making in you life!!
Old 07-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Feel a little better today - energy still not where it should be, back still hurting but not as much. I think the GABA is helping a little with sleep.

Food still on plan. One thing I have noticed is that food cooked in coconut oil is a little sweeter in flavor. Also really loving fresh vegetables right out of the garden. It is great to just go out and pick peppers, carrots, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, herbs as I need them. Flavors are so much better than store bought.

I need to start callenetics! I guess today is as good as any to start.