Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #481
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
Rich
Did you say you used to binge? How many carbs will you allow at B&L? I have low cortisol levels until bedtime as well and find it interesting that carbs earlier in the day may help.
I tried the BAB before for about 1 month and did well, but suddenly started getting bingey again. Maybe I was missing something. Thanks for any advice.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Rich
Did you say you used to binge? How many carbs will you allow at B&L? I have low cortisol levels until bedtime as well and find it interesting that carbs earlier in the day may help.
I tried the BAB before for about 1 month and did well, but suddenly started getting bingey again. Maybe I was missing something. Thanks for any advice.
Max 25 g carbs (50 g if little to lose) with most at breakfast. Supposedly carbs can raise cortisol and you want high cortisol in the morning. To go to sleep you want low cortisol, so cutting back on carbs at dinner should help.

Once I started the bab, I never had cravings. Other people did and some found they needed to increase protein at breakfast and some found they needed to take betain hcl before meals.

Did you maybe start cutting back on the size of bab after a few successful weeks? Until you get the signs of being leptin sensitive, you have to stick with the bab and the rest of the leptin prescription. Dr K says that not following the plan completely every day means you are effectively starting all over.

I am on week 16 with no cravings and no binging.

Leptin is Cool

Last edited by beachguy; 02-02-2012 at 08:03 AM..
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #483
Major LCF Poster!

Got up in middle of night and bp was still high so took another 1/4 pill. This morning I took a full dose of new medication and going to try 1/4 dose of old every 3 hours. That will be 1 1/4 pills of old instead of the 3 I was taking. Just have to closely monitor bp and make sure it doesn't suddenly jump up.

I have found posts that say it takes weeks to get off clonidine and posts that say 3 or 4 days. I want off as fast as possible, but will not try to get off before next week when my doc is available. Supposedly taking a full dose of clonidine will stop any bad withdrawal symptoms I might have.

The headache still keeps coming back so I don't know if it is caused by or covered up by the clonidine. I think what happened is I had a headache from high bp caused by the hc and that headache was replaced by the clonidine headache. The reason I think that is because headache pills would get rid of the hc headache for a while and won't touch the clonidine headache.

I also get a little face flushing from the clonidine. Also looks like dizziness and feeling faint were side effects. Usually I don't get side effects, but I think I got every single one this has.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #484
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Rich. I did cut back on the bab because it got harder to eat without feeling like I was going to be sick. I never needed lunch though when I could eat the bab as I was full until at least dinner time. I want to try this again but wonder how to split the carbs if I am not eating lunch.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #485
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Rich. I did cut back on the bab because it got harder to eat without feeling like I was going to be sick. I never needed lunch though when I could eat the bab as I was full until at least dinner time. I want to try this again but wonder how to split the carbs if I am not eating lunch.
I would eat most at breakfast because you want to cut back at dinner.

After about 3 months, I got to where the idea of eating bab made me feel sick. Dr. K said that might be a sign I was ready to move on to the post leptin prescription plan. I haven't yet because I need to get off my bp medication before I start exercising.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #486
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NAVARA2011
WOE: hhcg and JUDDD
Just a couple things I would like to mention Rich.

Hi, the other day I was investigating a product = Made by Life Extension, called Forskolin.
Comes from Coleus Forskohli (root)

I was reading about it for weight loss, its in some weight loss products, but people doing the testimonials were noting it had lowered their blood pressure very well also.

Maybe worth looking into for high blood pressure, it's cheap her bottle about $12 US.

Also, was reading on Dr Mercola site about Gulf War Syndrome, and how ill those men were years later , due to being vacinated.

Gulf War veterans with Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) received anthrax vaccines which contained squalene.

The symptoms they developed included arthritis, fibromyalgia, lymphadenopathy, rashes, photosensitive rashes, malar rashes, chronic fatigue, chronic headaches, abnormal body hair loss, non-healing skin lesions, aphthous ulcers, dizziness, weakness, memory loss, seizures, mood changes, neuropsychiatric problems, anti-thyroid effects, anaemia, elevated ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), systemic lupus erythematosus, multiple sclerosis, ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), Raynaud's phenomenon, Sjorgren's syndrome, chronic diarrhoea, night sweats and low-grade fevers.

I don't know your history , or if you have been in the Gulf war etc, but if so, this may account for some problems you have been experiencing, sorry , but I have not read all your posts - just thought this may be of interest to you.

all the best.
NAVARA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #487
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVARA2011 View Post
Hi, the other day I was investigating a product = Made by Life Extension, called Forskolin.
Comes from Coleus Forskohli (root)

I was reading about it for weight loss, its in some weight loss products, but people doing the testimonials were noting it had lowered their blood pressure very well also.

Maybe worth looking into for high blood pressure, it's cheap her bottle about $12 US.

Also, was reading on Dr Mercola site about Gulf War Syndrome, and how ill those men were years later , due to being vacinated.

Gulf War veterans with Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) received anthrax vaccines which contained squalene.

The symptoms they developed included arthritis, fibromyalgia, lymphadenopathy, rashes, photosensitive rashes, malar rashes, chronic fatigue, chronic headaches, abnormal body hair loss, non-healing skin lesions, aphthous ulcers, dizziness, weakness, memory loss, seizures, mood changes, neuropsychiatric problems, anti-thyroid effects, anaemia, elevated ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), systemic lupus erythematosus, multiple sclerosis, ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), Raynaud's phenomenon, Sjorgren's syndrome, chronic diarrhoea, night sweats and low-grade fevers.

I don't know your history , or if you have been in the Gulf war etc, but if so, this may account for some problems you have been experiencing, sorry , but I have not read all your posts - just thought this may be of interest to you.

all the best.
Thanks for info. No military service so no Gulf War. I am familiar with Life Extension so will check out their product.

What happened was my doc prescribed hc for adrenal fatigue and it caused my bp to skyrocket. Then I came down with every side effect there is for the bp med she prescribed. I didn't realize it was the bp med causing the problems for 4 months. I won't know if I have high bp or not until I can get off of the darn stuff.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #488
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I am on week 16 with no cravings and no binging.
It makes my heart leap to read that!! You must be thrilled to have that burden lifted! I think I recall where I may have slipped up with the BAB. I was using protein shakes as part of the breakfast and was probably only eating maybe 15 carbs a day. I was getting dizzy and shaky sometimes in the late afternoon which caused me to eventually over eat.
I do need to think of what I will eat for the carbs. Unless I am binging I pretty much don't eat any carbs to speak of. I don't know about you Rich but I have been so out of control with the binging lately that it scares me! I am tired of wasting money feeding the addiction as well.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #489
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It makes my heart leap to read that!! You must be thrilled to have that burden lifted! I think I recall where I may have slipped up with the BAB. I was using protein shakes as part of the breakfast and was probably only eating maybe 15 carbs a day. I was getting dizzy and shaky sometimes in the late afternoon which caused me to eventually over eat.
I do need to think of what I will eat for the carbs. Unless I am binging I pretty much don't eat any carbs to speak of. I don't know about you Rich but I have been so out of control with the binging lately that it scares me! I am tired of wasting money feeding the addiction as well.
I understand completely. All my life I prided myself on being able to accomplish whatever I put my mind to. Being fat was the one thing that beat me time after time. We do bad things to ourselves trying to lose just another 5 lbs. We starve ourselves, eliminate all carbs, over-exercise, etc., and then have cravings that won't go away until we feed them. And each time our metabolisms get a little slower. I had over 9 years of failure after failure before I found the leptin reset.

What I like so much about the leptin reset is that it is about healing the body and losing weight. Little things like eating liver once a week, making bone broth, having fish or seafood twice a week, drinking a lot of green tea, etc can all go a long way toward restoring health.

I hope you try again. If you don't find the support you need here, you can always post over at mda on the big leptin thread. There are several people over there that are a big help at figuring out why something isn't working right and helping to get you back on track.

Last edited by beachguy; 02-02-2012 at 06:55 PM..
Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #490
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Rich for all the advice and info.
Do you think full fat cottage cheese would be okay for a carb or is it too much like having a protein shake? Do you eat the breakfast right or within the 30 mins? Before I did wait until I got to work which made it about 1 hour after waking.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Rich for all the advice and info.
Do you think full fat cottage cheese would be okay for a carb or is it too much like having a protein shake? Do you eat the breakfast right or within the 30 mins? Before I did wait until I got to work which made it about 1 hour after waking.
I think the hour works, just may take longer to become ls. Dr K makes a shake with coconut milk, eggs, splash of cream, and some other stuff. I tried it for lunch a couple of times and it's pretty good.

I've got the same problem with carbs for breakfast. Most people have found they need to eliminate dairy completely to solve their stomach problem, so be careful with the cottage cheese. The only dairy I have with breakfast is organic cream. Dr K also recommends giving up might shades until your hdl is good (70+ I think). Onions are one good breakfast carb. Maybe spinach or sweet potato. I'm still working on it.

A lot of people are eating left overs from dinner for breakfast. That may be an easy way to get your carbs in.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #492
Major LCF Poster!

I might have been a little low on protein yesterday morning and was hungry all day. Ate lunch and was starving for dinner. First time that has happened. Might have been that I had enough protein but not enough fat.

Another 2 lb week.

Week 1 - 10 lb ... Week 8 - 2 lb . . . Week 15 - 1 lb
Week 2 - 4 lb ..... Week 9 - 0 lb . . . Week 16 - 2 lb
Week 3 - 2 lb ..... Week 10 - 4 lb
Week 4 - 0 lb ..... Week 11 - 1 lb
Week 5 - 4 lb ..... Week 12 - 4 lb
Week 6 - 1 lb ..... Week 13 - 0 lb
Week 7 - 2 lb ..... Week 14 - 3 lb

-----------------
Total - - - 40 lb

Didn't sleep well. Had anxious feeling. Probably related to cutting back on clonidine. BP slightly more elevated this morning than usual. No headache so trying just the new med. Will monitor and take 1/4 dose clonidine if necessary.

ETA: BP stayed a little high so took 1/4 clonidine. BP immediately dropped.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #493
Blabbermouth!!!

I have to do my grocery shopping tomorrow and want to officially start the BAB on Sunday. I played around today with some foods I had on hand and found I was starving a hour after eating. I had chicken thighs, veg/ beef soup and cottage cheese. I was surprised at the hunger mostly because I wasn't even hungry to begin with I just ate to try out the BAB idea. I did take a green tea caspule and am wondering if maybe that threw something off.

Way to go Rich on another 2 lbs down!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #494
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
good luck weaning off that stuff. I eat my carbs normally earlier in the day but that is also when I train. If i was training at night, i'd eat them at night, surrounding my training. That is how its most effective.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #495
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
good luck weaning off that stuff. I eat my carbs normally earlier in the day but that is also when I train. If i was training at night, i'd eat them at night, surrounding my training. That is how its most effective.
We are both trying to use carbs to raise cortisol. We need to raise morning cortisol and lower evening cortisol. So, more carbs in morning and less at dinner.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #496
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
I dont have have hi anytime cortisol. Tends to be lower in the morning but i wake just fine, but early sans an alarm (5/5:30 mostly) used to really dip evening/pm and i'd run low or under range. Not dieting at the moment so that levels out when i decrease my training intensity and add more calories.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #497
Major LCF Poster!

Weaning off is not going real well. I bumped up my dose of novasc to see if that would stabilize bp. Didn't seem to help. Yesterday I took 1/4 pill of clonidine every 3 hours. Over the day, I had to take 1 extra because bp jumped way up Also rechecked pressure about 2 hours after going to bed and bp was high again so took another 1/4 pill.

Headache was minimal yesterday. Felt anxious again trying to sleep. I don't know if it is from reducing clonidine or starting norvasc. Tried taking a nap and felt anxious again. Slept a little.

Same pattern with bp today. I'm thinking about increasing dose of norvasc (just one dose a day) by 1/4 pill until bp stabilizes. I'm taking 5 mg and recommended dose is 5-10mg, so increase to 6.25 mg. Then try to get off the clonidine once bp is stabilized.

Last edited by beachguy; 02-04-2012 at 03:14 PM..
Old 02-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #498
Blabbermouth!!!

Rich
Do you know anything about CD57? I did a search at MDA can't really find much info.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Rich
Do you know anything about CD57? I did a search at MDA can't really find much info.
For lyme? No. I had the Igenex western blot a few years ago. I got a bulls eye rash and didn't realize what it was right away. About a week after it went away, I suddenly remembered it indicated lyme disease. Did 30 days of antibiotics and doc did a blood test through labcorp that came back negative. I had done some research and knew that that test wasn't reliable, so I went to a doc that did the western blot, which also came back negative.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #500
Blabbermouth!!!

If you are interested do a search on CD57 researched nutritionals. I can't link due to the ads. My Dr. has me taking colostrum (transfer factor lyme), due to this CD57 number being low, it is supposedly indicative of lyme bacteria in the blood. I was never aware of a rash or tick bite but am trusting him in that it may be part of the reason I often feel achy and fatigued. He believes adrenal/thyroid function is compromised by stress in the body and does not want to just keep increasing my thyroid meds without first trying to see if we can figure out what the stress may be.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #501
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
If you are interested do a search on CD57 researched nutritionals. I can't link due to the ads. My Dr. has me taking colostrum (transfer factor lyme), due to this CD57 number being low, it is supposedly indicative of lyme bacteria in the blood. I was never aware of a rash or tick bite but am trusting him in that it may be part of the reason I often feel achy and fatigued. He believes adrenal/thyroid function is compromised by stress in the body and does not want to just keep increasing my thyroid meds without first trying to see if we can figure out what the stress may be.
Thanks jeanie. I printed off the page you referenced. The thing that is strange is my thyroid labs are fine, except for rt3. I think the rt3 is high because cortisol and dhea are low. Working on getting dhea and cortisol (supposed to be treated as pair) levels where they need to be first. If that doesn't get rt3 down, will have to look into other things.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #502
Major LCF Poster!

I worked in the yard trimming trees and dragging the branches to the back lot 2 days this week. I noticed that when I checked my bp after being outside working, that I would get lower readings. So today, every time my systolic goes over 150, I get on the exercise bike for 10 minutes. I have done this 3 times and every time my systolic pressure has dropped about 20 points.

Not sure how many more 10 minute bike rides I have in me today, but it looks like this might help wean me off the clonidine a little faster. I'm about 1/2 hour passed the time I should have taken a 1/4 dose, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I also took some headache pills a couple of hours ago and they seem to be keeping the headache away. I feel pressure in my ears, but no headache.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #503
Major LCF Poster!

Made it from 11:30 am to 6:30 pm, so 7 hours before I had to take another 1/4 dose of clonidine. Yesterday could only go about 3 hours between pills. Last 2 days were 5 or 6 1/4 doses and today is just 3 so far. Maybe tomorrow will be last day.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #504
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Dr Mercola posted an interview with lyme expert Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt on Sunday. He explains why he thinks lyme has become more virulent in the last 30 years and also how he treats it. He also talks about CD57 test as well as other tests he does. Just go to mercola's web site and search for lyme. You want the Dr Dietrich Klinghradt on lyme disease. There is a transcript available as well as the video.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #505
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
Made it from 11:30 am to 6:30 pm, so 7 hours before I had to take another 1/4 dose of clonidine. Yesterday could only go about 3 hours between pills. Last 2 days were 5 or 6 1/4 doses and today is just 3 so far. Maybe tomorrow will be last day.
Yesterday I took 1/4 pill at 9 am and another at 11:30 am. Didn't need another until 6:30 pm. But then I needed another at 7:30 pm and another at 10 pm, so I still needed 5 1/4 doses.

BP was high, around 160/100 when I got up. Did 5 minutes on exercise bike and bp dropped to 145/93. Held off on taking bp medication to see what bp would do. After about 1/2 hour it was back to 160/100. Took 1 dose of norvasc, retested after 1/2 hour, and bp was about the same. Took another 1/2 dose of norvasc.

I sure would like to know how high bp would go with no medication but don't want to chance it. The clonidine is fairly fast acting, but the norvasc is not, so if bp gets too high, I will have to take clonidine which I don't want to do.

Going to drink a lot of tea today as it is a diuretic and see if that helps.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

So took 10 mg of norvasc today. 5 mg and then 1/2 pill and then another 1/2.

Was able to go until about 3 pm before I had to take 1/4 dose of clonidine. Then at 4pm had to take another 1/4 dose.

Found a qigong video with 3 exercises to reduce bp. Will try those daily and see if they help. Basically it's relax the chest and neck and breath from the stomach. I can tell I do tend to breath in the upper chest rather than the stomach.

Got my rt3 and free t3 labs back. RT3 stayed about the same which is way too high, but free t3 went down. Not good. Have no idea what to do.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #507
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Dr Mercola posted an interview with lyme expert Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt on Sunday. He explains why he thinks lyme has become more virulent in the last 30 years and also how he treats it. He also talks about CD57 test as well as other tests he does. Just go to mercola's web site and search for lyme. You want the Dr Dietrich Klinghradt on lyme disease. There is a transcript available as well as the video.
Thanks Rich.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #508
Major LCF Poster!

BP was high, but not as high as usual, this morning. Took 1 1/2 dose of norvasc and no clonidine. Whenever bp would get close to 150/xx I would exercise. That was enough to keep dropping bp pressure back down. Around 4 pm, bp suddenly dropped into normal range. Then I started getting a bad headache and my face felt very flushed. By 4:45, bp had jumped way up 170/100. Took 1/2 pill of clonidine and bp dropped back under 150.

I still think it is actually the clonidine that is causing the high bp and headache. I hope a couple more days and I will finally have weaned myself off of it.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #509
Major LCF Poster!

Had to take another 1/2 clonidine before bed. Did breathing exercises 1st thing this morning and bp was 145/77 with no medication. Took just 1 norvasc. Have slight headache so need to monitor bp this morning.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #510
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Had to take another 1/2 clonidine before bed. Did breathing exercises 1st thing this morning and bp was 145/77 with no medication. Took just 1 norvasc. Have slight headache so need to monitor bp this morning.
Then took another 1/2 norvasc and 1/2 clonidine. Another 1/2 clonidine before bed.

145/85 when I got up. Took 1 1/2 norvasc. Headache. Still don't know if clonidine makes the headache go away or causes it. Headache medication doesn't help very much.