LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #361
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: writermom
Stats: 196/187/145 5'5
WOE: WW PP
Start Date: November 15, 2010
Hi Rich,
I'm another one of those people "blessed with a screwed up metabolism." Believe me, I know how frustrating it is but it sounds like you are doing all the right things. There has to be an answer somewhere and I'm sure you will find it.

Have a great day!
writermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by writermom View Post
Hi Rich,
I'm another one of those people "blessed with a screwed up metabolism." Believe me, I know how frustrating it is but it sounds like you are doing all the right things. There has to be an answer somewhere and I'm sure you will find it.

Have a great day!
Thanks writermom.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #363
Major LCF Poster!

I skipped the melatonin the last 2 nights and I think that is what was causing the morning drowsiness. I'm thinking maybe to much hormones with the HC and dhea and melatonin. Anyway, better sleep and more energy during the day.

Really hungry yesterday but that seems to go with the scales moving down. Ate a little extra, but on plan. Doing good today and got a lot accomplished.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #364
Major LCF Poster!

Am having a good week, so far. Plenty of opportunities to be in a bad mood, but am on a very even keel. Food OK. Since stopping the melatonin, I am sleeping better and waking earlier.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #365
Major LCF Poster!

I actually remember little pieces of dreams from the last 2 nights. I think that is a good sign since I usually don't remember dreaming at all.

Food has been OK. Not doing enough exercise. If it's not too hot today. maybe I will cut the grass with the push mower

Lost 2 lbs for the week.

Week 1: 5 lbs
Week 2: 3 lbs
Week 3: 2 lbs
-----------------
Total: 10 lbs
Old 07-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Food OK. Instead of regular exercise, I am trying to spend about 1 hour a day using the push mower. That's about a tank of gas so it works out well.

Haven't taken melatonin this week and am sleeping OK.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #367
Major LCF Poster!

Good and bad news.

First the bad. Somehow a 1/2 gallon of ice cream ended up in my shopping cart and I ate the whole thing yesterday.

The good. Another clue. Starting 2 days ago, I started getting the metallic taste in my mouth. When I searched on the web, I found a description that it tastes like sucking on pennies. That's the taste I get. Most of the hits I found were from pregnant women who believe it is a hormonal problem. Since I'm male, the pregnant part is out but the hormonal part is possible. Many of the woman said the only thing that got rid of the taste was drinking milk, and that only got rid of the taste for a few hours. Milk - Ice Cream?

I also believe I have too much copper in my tissues. What might be happening is that as the copper starts to flush from my body, I get an overload which results in the taste. In the past, the metallic taste indicates a binge is coming on. Doctor thinks it might be my body fighting back against the toxic overload by creating more fat to absorb the copper (or whatever toxin it is).

I did a little research on copper, but need to do some more. What I found was to make sure I was getting enough zinc to balance the copper. I have been taking zinc for about a year and it still measures low. ALA was also recommended and I have been taking that for about 4 month.

I am finding conflicting info on copper testing. I might do the blood test and the hair test to see if they show the same result. Also found someone who says to make sure to use a lab that doesn't wash the hair before testing.

The never ending battle goes on.

Leptin is Cool
Old 07-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #368
Major LCF Poster!

No metallic taste today and no cravings. Doing close to a no carb day today. Want to try to make up for the ice cream on Friday.

I need to start doing tai chi. Have never done it, but think it would be good for stress and healing my adrenals. Will look through the book and order a dvd. I wonder if there is a wii game?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #369
Major LCF Poster!

Good yesterday and today.

Only lost 1 lb last week.

Week 1: 5 lb
Week 2: 3 lb
Week 3: 2 lb
Week 4: 1 lb
-----------------
Total: 11 lbs
Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #370
Major LCF Poster!

Food OK. Headache last night and this morning. Woke up feeling drugged. Face puffy, eyes watering. Maybe just allergies.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #371
Major LCF Poster!

Food has been OK. Really bad headache for almost a week. Think it might be the cortef. Cut way back and still have a slight headache. Waiting for doc to call back.

Lost 2 lb this week.

Week 5: 2 lb
-----------------
Total: 13 lbs
Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #372
Major LCF Poster!

Food still OK. Nurse called back. Said doc said I could stop the cortef since I hadn't been taking it that long. I still have the headache even though I have been off cortef for 2 days. Nurse said it might take up to a week for it to clean out. Blood pressure was also up today. Need to recheck later.

Ordered a saliva kit for retesting cortisol. There is also a possibility headache is from copper being flushed from my body. Need to schedule a copper test.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Headache went away for a day and a half and then came back. Haven't taken hydrocortisone for a week so maybe that isn't what is causing the headaches. I'm going to stop all supplements for a couple of days and see if that makes any difference.

Had 1 bad day food wise, but got back on track.

Lost 2 lb this week.

Week 6: 2 lb
-----------------
Total: 15 lb
Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #374
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday was bad food wise. The good news was I threw away the ice cream before I ate the entire half gallon. Maybe that's what I need to do. Just make sure a lapse never lasts more than 1 day and really limit carbs for a couple days afterward. Some people have schedule a free day. Looks like I will have one whenever I have one.

Started Qi Gong yesterday. It should be easy, but I have some stiffness that restricts movement right now. Today was easier than yesterday, so hopefully I will regain flexibility.

Redoing cortisol test today. It has been over a week since I took any hydrocort and still having headaches. It should be interesting seeing what my levels are now.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #375
Major LCF Poster!

Still having headaches, but not today (yet). Blood pressure is way up and then back down. Either something strange is going on or my meter isn't working right. I'll have to get my old meter out and see what I get.

Had 1 bad day food wise, but got back on track. Weight loss has been strange. I show a 2 or 3 lb loss (usually on Tuesday), and then for the next 2 or 3 days the scale goes back up 2 or 3 lbs. Then by the end of the week it goes back down again. Early this week I was down 3 lb, then scale went back up and hasn't come back down.

Lost 0 lb this week.

Week 7: 0 lb
-----------------
Total: 15 lb
Old 08-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #376
Major LCF Poster!

Bad week. Cravings kicked in on Wednesday and I tried to satisfy them with just a little of what I was craving. The next day the cravings were overwhelming and lasted for 2 days. So next time I will eat to satisfy the craving and see if then I can stop after 1 day. Good news is I am back on track today and no cravings so far.

Blood pressure is back down. I think the hydrocortisone is finally out of my body.

Gained 3 lb this week.

Week 8: +3 lb
-----------------
Total: 12 lb
Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #377
Major LCF Poster!

Still having headaches. I just learned that increase in blood pressure often happens when hc is stopped. Why didn't the nurse tell me that? Maybe I'm just a little slow, because she did ask if my blood pressure was up, but neglected to tell me that it was stopping hc that caused it.

And blood pressure was very high this morning. Not emergency room high, but I need to watch it. Am going to take some extra magnesium for a couple of days and see if that helps.

lost 2 lb this week.

Week 8: +3 lb
Week 9: 2 lb
-----------------
Total: 14 lb
Old 10-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #378
Major LCF Poster!

That was hell. Got the magnesium injection, but headache still didn't go away. Tried something I read in Julia Ross's Mood Cure. I figured if flour, chocolate, and sugar could fake out brain pleasure receptors, maybe I could use them to knock out the headache. After about 4 days of eating flour, sugar, and chocolate, the headache finally eased.

Retested cortisol and it is still low. In fact it is actually a little lower than last test. Makes sense because when I was taking HC, my body quits making any.

So for about half the time I was taking HC, my energy level was even lower than usual. Then throughout the headache and for a couple of weeks after, I was still extremely low energy.

Did a couple of things. Started 3 new supplements: ashwagandha, rhodiola, and thyroid energy, and reduced carbs back down under 70/day. I didn't notice much of a boost in energy, but found myself doing tasks I had been putting off for months. So I am about where I was 3 months ago before starting the HC.

Just had some labs done. The only change was my rt3 is now normal. If this is a result of taking HC, then I would expect it to go back up again since I am no longer on hc. If not, maybe the iodine, selenium, and b6 brought it down.

Have doctors appointment Monday. After 3 years of getting no where, I am going to tell her we need a new plan. No matter what I take - supplements or hormones, my labs don't seem to improve. I had bad things happen from testosterone and hc. Why? My labs are low so why can't my body handle supplementing?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

Doc thought headaches were from high blood pressure, not hc. So I finally gave in and am now taking blood pressure pills. I had to take 3 while I was at the office before they would let me go. By the time I got home, blood pressure was so low I could barely move. I checked it every 15 minutes for an hour and it slowly moved back up. By the next morning it was normal.

Since then it has jumped all over the place. I had been taking ashwagandha and a thyroid booster for about 10 days. I thought one or both might be effecting bp so I stopped both of them. BP is about 20 points lower today so it looks like one of them is the cause. Will wait a couple of days and add 1 back and see what happens.

Doc agreed it would be good to try something different. 3 years with little improvement no matter what we tried. There were a few areas of improvement like my vitamin d is finally in upper range and cholesterol has come down. But all in all, I feel worse and weigh more than I did when I first went to see her.

So I am trying acupuncture. After treatment I had better energy for 2 days and then severely tired again. I also had a pinched nerve/muscle pain that was much better for 2 days. So I need to see if I need more frequent treatment or what we do to get relief to last longer.

Restarted low carb last Friday. Between doc and therapist, I have some things to try if I start getting the same symptoms again. The acupuncturist also recommended I eat only organically raised beef, chicken, etc. He thinks growth hormone in beef might be part of the problem. Once I finish the meat in the freezer, will bite the bullet and spring for no hormone, grass fed beef.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

Lost 10 lbs 1st week back.

Found some interesting articles that might shed light on why so many of us can only lose to a certain point and then get overwhelming cravings. I'll post a reference later, but it comes down to fat, calcium, vitamin d, and sulphate. I'm going to increase sulphate by soaking in epson salts 2 or 3 times a week. Researcher recommends whole milk as a good way to get fat, calcium, and vitamin d all together which is what the body wants.

As soon as I finish the soft drinks I have in the house, I will switch to whole milk, water, and tea and see what happens.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

The last 4 days have been very good. Sleep has been greatly improved. On a couple of nights, was able to fall asleep within 10 or 15 minutes of going to bed. Seem to be getting into a deeper level of sleep, but wake up after only about 6 hours of sleep. Much less tossing and turning.

The 2 major changes I have made are adding a calcium supplement and adding sulphur. Taking msm morning and night and soaking in epson salts every 2 or 3 days. Also bout some whole fat greek yogurt and while organic milk. Will have at least a cup of one or the other every day.

Had 2nd acupuncture session. I got some relief from a pinched nerve last time that lasted for 2 days. Interested to see if it lasts longer this time.

Been doing a lot of research. Am going to try to take about 20 articles and condense down to 1 article that directly addresses my symptoms and labs. I believe I am finally on the right track. First time in long while I believe I just might get to goal weight.

Week 1 - 10 lb
Week 2 - 4 lb
-----------------
Total - - 14 lb
Old 10-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

After several good days in a row, yesterday I noticed a change. Even after a large breakfast, I was hungry all day. The difference was I made a couple of flax pancakes to go with bacon and eggs. I don't know if the hunger was caused by the flax, but needed to make a note of it for tracking.

Pain was back in left arm after several days of being almost pain free.

Blood pressure was extremely high this morning. And I don't have the energy I had. Kind of a down mood and clumsy - spilled coffee when I was putting coffee in filter. I need to start checking blood glucose again, because I think the clumsiness may be related.

This morning I had bacon, eggs, and hash browns for breakfast. This breakfast usually keeps me from being hungry until early evening. Will see how I feel tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #383
Major LCF Poster!

2 days of old breakfast and no improvement. BP still very high in am. The only other change I can think of is I started taking nettle root 4 days ago. Skipped it this morning.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #384
Major LCF Poster!

No nettle root for 3 days and no improvement in energy, so don't think that's the cause. Only other possible thing I can think of was I was eating greek yogurt at roughly the same time I was feeling better. Will have to experiment.

Also, when I felt good I was losing weight at rapid rate and now that I am feeling bad with low energy, no weight loss. Calories, carbs roughly the same.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

Feeling a little better. Less fatigue today than yesterday. Added everything back in since it didn't appear that fatigue was from new supplements. Also had flax yesterday, so it doesn't appear it was caused by flax either.

Tried 5-htp last night instead of of valerian root. Reason was that I just learned vitamin d and 5-htp are cofactors for producing serotonin, and my vitamin d levels are now OK. Good news was I fell asleep easily, but bad news, I still woke up after a few hours and had trouble getting back to sleep.

Read about 50 articles this week. Now I have to go back and pull out what I think are good diet changes and supplements I need to add.

Week 1 - 10 lb
Week 2 - 4 lb
Week 3 - 2 lb
-----------------
Total - - 16 lb
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #386
Major LCF Poster!

This overwhelming fatigue is still here. Plus my blood pressure is all over the place. Either that, or my meter isn't working right. I think the bp medication might be related to fatigue, so I am trying to take the minimum to keep bp under 140/90. I will get a reading of something like 130/85 and then 2 hours later it is 160/95. This doesn't make sense to me unless one of my supplements is causing this to happen.

Bought a new blood glucose meter, but it doesn't want to power up. Will have to recheck manual and make sure I followed right procedure. Also checked temperature 1st thing this morning and it was 98 which is higher than the last time I measured.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #387
Major LCF Poster!

Good and bad news. Bad news is no weight loss this week. I have read where some people gain on the bp medication I am on, so maybe that is it. Trying to get off of it.

BP is OK when I get up and stays OK until mid afternoon. Then it starts jumping higher. From around 135/80 when I get up to around 150/90 and then keeps going. I've tried natural remedies, but they won't bring it back down, so have to take medication late afternoon.

Blood glucose is almost the same for fasting and 1 or 2 hours after eating. Readings have all been between 100 and 110, so I need to get those down. I have a little sugar in my diet that can come out, so I think I can get this down. Also increasing magnesium which is supposed to help.

Ordered some new supplements to try.

Week 1 - 10 lb
Week 2 - 4 lb
Week 3 - 2 lb
Week 4 - 0 lb
-----------------
Total - - 16 lb
Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

Finally starting to feel a little better - extreme fatigue is gone. Blood pressure still an issue. Yesterday I took max dose and still had very high readings. So far today, they have been OK with no medication. Nurse was supposed to call back with new prescription but hasn't called. Going to order some Himalayan salt and see if that helps. Checked my meter against doc's and they were within a couple of points. What was strange was I had the highest readings ever on my machine at the doc's office. Even after acupuncture treatment, reading was high.

Herbalist gave me a bag of fo ti. I'm going to try adding it to green tea and see how it tastes.

Acupuncturist noticed I had lost weight. Must be it shows in my face because measurements haven't changed. The good news is the scales finally moved. Lost 4 lbs this week. The big azz breakfast seems to be working. Added a potato back in this morning because the protein by itself wasn't quite enough to last me all day.

Week 1 - 10 lb
Week 2 - 4 lb
Week 3 - 2 lb
Week 4 - 0 lb
Week 5 - 4 lb
-----------------
Total - - 20 lb

Last edited by beachguy; 11-18-2011 at 08:56 AM..
Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #389
Major LCF Poster!

5 days in a row of moderate energy. Blood pressure has come back down. I have no idea what caused it to skyrocket and no idea what caused it to come back down. I took a bp pill yesterday afternoon and bp dropped to 95/65. By bedtime, it was around 120/80.

When I got up it was around 128/87 and over the next hour dropped to around 124/81. Just checked it again, about 3 pm and it is 124/77. And that's with no bp medication today. Strange.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

And at 4 it was high - jumped almost 20 points in an hour.