Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:52 AM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Finally got back in to see doctor. Up 20 pounds since January. I think doctor is finally believing me! I did it her way for over 6 months with exactly the same results I have had for the last 7 years.

She has ordered vitamin/mineral deficiency analysis, TSH/FT3/FT4, cortisol, and several other tests. Also had my blood pressure skyrocket to stroke levels. Got a shot of magnesium and pressure has dropped to 144/94 - still high but not the dangerous level is was yesterday. Heart rate has also dropped back to normal. I think I had an allergic reaction to bread - whether it was gluten, yeast, or wheat I don't know. Doc also ordered test for gluten and Candida.

What I discovered over the last few months is that much of my fatigue problem is caused by too low calories. I have to eat in the 1200-2000 range to lose any weight at all. But after about 2 weeks of eating at this level, I have overwhelming cravings. For several months I thought this might be vitamin related, but came to realize it was calorie driven. Doctor agreed. Said to eat 2500 calories/day. I explained that I can maintain at 2500 but not lose. She finally accepted what I was saying as true.

Not blaming the doc. Just hoping that this round of tests finally points to why my body doesn't want to convert fat to glucose.

Doc also made what I thought were rather silly suggestions. She wanted me to exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I know there are studies that suggest you burn slightly more fat following this approach, but I am 100 lbs overweight. If I was going for the last 10 lbs I would use every trick in the book if I needed to. But at 100 lbs overweight, I should lose weight by following a reasonable low carb diet and getting moderate exercise. I should need draconian methods at this point.

Plus, I have been doing heavy duty yard work - digging holes, cutting down trees, hauling and stacking wood, pruning trees, etc. All this has done is increased my calorie demand to keep up my energy.

Well, this post is kind of all over the place. But I do feel a little bit positive in that I think the doc is finally looking in the right place. I have a telephone appointment in about 3 weeks to go over the labs, so I just need to keep my eating under control until then.

Leptin is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

I had 2 days of eating on plan. Trying for about 2000 calories if it is a sedentary day and 2500 if active. This way I should at least lose a few lbs while waiting for the lab results. I had to eat a lot just to get up to 2000 calories. Added in protein shakes as midmorning and midafternoon mini-meals.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Ate a lot yesterday but didn't get enough calories. Will do it today.

Blood pressure has dropped back into normal range. This morning it was 123/82. Yesterday afternoon it was 120/79.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Blood pressure kept going down - and down - and down. This morning it was 123/82. Great.

Went outside to do yard work and felt weak, light headed, and legs hurt.

Decided to check blood pressure and it had dropped to 90/68. Been checking it every hour since then and had 1 slightly lower reading and 4 slightly higher. Last reading was 111/68. At least it seems it is not going down further.

Will not take medication tomorrow and contact doc on Monday.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

I'm back. Had a cancer scare that thankfully was a false alarm. Did put me in a tail spin for a couple of months.

I started exercising regularly again about 2 weeks ago and have been low carbing for a week. I was up about 28 lbs from what I had gotten down to last fall, so a couple of months should get me back there.

Was reading an article and it made me wonder if low Vitamin D is correlated to cholesterol. Did a search and found this Breaking Research Shows Vitamin D is linked to HDL Cholesterol. I think what it is saying is that increasing vitamin D will raise HDL. I'll have to check mine over the last year and see how it reacted.

I have been rereading Good Calories, Bad Calories and think I have found the clue I have been looking for. I have a theory that my cells don't release fat for energy the way they are supposed to. Well, that is exactly what one of the doctors in the book theorized - a defective gene that doesn't release fat into the blood when there are carbohydrates in the diet. This explains why some people can eat 2500 calories and lose weight and another person will gain weight. The amount of carbs that triggers the cell to hold on to the fat varies from person to person and he found 1 man that could only lose weight if he eliminated all carbs from his diet.

So I am going to eat close to zero carbs for 2 or 3 days and then allow some carbs for a couple of days. I'm going to let my body tell me when to add carbs and when to eliminate them.

I also have to naturally lower my cholesterol (tryglicerides and LDL) and my blood pressure. Blood pressure had come down to normal range. Yesterday I ate some whole wheat bread and BP jumped way up. No carbs today and BP is down to 132/91 (a little high).
Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #276
Its Not A Problem! :)

Gallery: Bobby
Stats: 398/355/250
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart July 1st
Looks like a good plan Rich, I'm looking foreward to seeing you better your health.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Exercise and food OK. Had a potato and steak for dinner and BP (Systolic) jumped up. It has been coming back down over last 2 hours. Need to identify foods that cause BP to spike.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

BP was OK this morning. Wouldn't that be something if I can use my BP monitor to identify foods that cause inflammation and BP spikes. Maybe if I can identify and avoid those foods, I can eliminate cravings. Probably to much to hope for.

An exercise plan is starting to fall into place.

For June, I am increasing cardio from 40 minutes 4 times a week to 60 minutes 5 times a week. That is, I am increasing cardio a few minutes every few days until I hit 60 minutes. Weights will stay the same except for moving to heavier weights when it makes sense.

July will stay the same in the morning but I will add Callanetics at night for core training. By the end of the month will be doing this 3 nights a week.

August - Continue June and July exercise program and add Tai Chi 2 nights a week. This should help with BP and also with flexibility. This will give me a total of 10 hours/week of exercise.

I have a doctor's appointment in August and I will do everything I can to get BP and cholesterol into normal range by then. Also am trying for 250 lbs (on my scales) by appointment. If I can do all 3 of these, I might be able to get my insurance payment reduced.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

BP has been OK. Food is on plan. Started on sleeping pills about a week ago and don't like the effect. Make me feel tired all day long. Didn't feel up to exercising today - so I'll skip the pills for a while and see if I get my motivation back.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:55 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Why does chicken make me gain weight?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #281
Its Not A Problem! :)

Gallery: Bobby
Stats: 398/355/250
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart July 1st
too much salt?

It was probably something else.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
too much salt?

It was probably something else.
It seems like every time I have chicken my weight goes up a pound. But I did have 2 large hot dogs (no bun) for lunch yesterday. Maybe they were the culprit.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

This Hurts

That was a bad 7 months. About the middle of November, I decided I was going to EAT this holiday season. I think I have been trying to lose weight every holiday season for the last 20 years. So I thought this year I would eat, but try not to overeat.

Between mid-November and mid-January my weight was up about 20 lbs - and it wasn't water weight. This was all fat and had to come off pound by pound. I got back up to 300 lbs, lower than my high, but still very depressing. Finally got back on track 2nd week of Feb and lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks. Slow, but at least I stuck it out for 3 weeks.

Had 1 major relapse (half gallon of ice cream), but was able to get right back on track and no cravings since then.

I have 2 new tools in my arsenal this time. The 1st is microwaved whole cheese slices that I use like bread. Usually I sprinkle a little garlic powder or some other spice on them to give them a taste. Plain they have very little cheese flavor to them.

Its hard to get the microwave time just right. For 1 slice, 60 seconds seems to be about right. Leave them in too long and they get brittle, not long enough and they are a little gooey. But they work great as a bread replacement. I have used them for hamburgers, bacon and egg sandwich, BLTs, and today I had a tuna fish sandwich. I love sandwiches and that has often been what pushed me over the edge, so just maybe this time ...

My 2nd tool is that some brain studies have shown that there is a correlation between activity in a certain part of the brain and cravings. This tells me that cravings are REAL. So what I need to do when I get cravings is figure out how to get a different part of my brain fired up.

Been to the gym on regular basis. I really need to work on flexibility now.

Last edited by beachguy; 03-01-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Not much to post. Guess that is good.

Ate on plan and got my exercise in. Eating the cheese "bread" really gives me a feeling of satiation. The one danger I have with it is that I have been having an after dinner snack of 2 slices of cheese nuked with a little peanut butter. Have to make sure I keep the peanut butter in check.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Ate a little too much but stayed on plan. Decided to take break from exercise today. Pinched nerve in my neck needs some time to relax and recover. Found some jalapeno cheese slices I will nuke and try as bread or snacks.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Starting a 10 week plan today. Just about finished reading a new book - The New ME (Metabolic Effect) Diet by Jade and Keoni Teta. I can build on my regular foods and add some fruit and vegetables and I'm there. Also it is a lower fat diet. The theory of the diet is that we can us food and exercise to turn hormone messaging on and off.

Also has an exercise program that includes walking for an hour a day, 7 days a week. Also a weight program that should be done 3 times a week.

I have quit diet soft drinks (3 days) and changed to iced tea, vegetable juice and water. Also cutting down on coffee from 2 mugs to 1 mug each morning. Also going to cut out bacon when I finish what I already have. Need to cut down sodium and increase potassium.

Starting at 285 lb. Will do my best to follow diet and exercise plan for 10 weeks and then re-evaluate. Will post more about the diet and exercise plan later.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Tried the ME workout this morning and I CAN'T DO IT. I don't have enough flexibility, so for the next 2 weeks I will walk every day, do my normal weight routine 3 times a week, and do flexibility exercises 3 times a week. I'll see what the WII has for flexibility. Then I will try the ME exercises again.

Bought snacks for the diet. Portion control is potentially going to be a problem. I'd rather just not have snacks, but this program requires 3 snacks a day.

Walked 3+ miles.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Got a blister yesterday. Changed to new gym shoes today - no problem.

Walked about 1/2 mile last night. One trip around my back lot is about 1/4 mile, so I have a place to get in a little extra walking. Really sore from the little bit of squat/lunge I did yesterday.

Walked 3 miles today and then did an exercise machine version of ME. Set of 12 on one machine immediately followed by set of 12 on 2nd machine followed by set of 12 on 3rd machine and then start over. Keep going until failure. I made it through 3 machines twice and then felt like I wanted to puke. The ME author said that might happen, so I guess I am doing it right. 1st time I ever felt like that. Supposed to rest and start again, but I think I need to work up to that.

One food change from old way of eating is to replace dairy based salad dressing with vinegar and oil. Pretty easy change.

I'll wait until the 1st week is up before determining how well the weight loss is going.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Legs were sore this morning and I was barely able to walk 3 miles. Just been snacking on food today. Will try to eat a big salad for dinner.

Another food change is to eat berries, cherries, and drink pomegranate juice. Supposed to be real good for reducing inflammation.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Still really sore today, so no exercise. Will get back at it tomorrow.

Have been snacking more than eating meals. Diet calls for a lot of fruit and vegetables, plus other snacks, so I'm just not hungry for a regular meal.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Got my 3+ miles in Saturday. Still sore today. I feel like I am eating a lot, but so far the scale is going in the right direction, so I will keep going. It sure would be nice if I can eat like this and lose weight. The black raspberries are ripe so I am having a large protein shake with raspberries every day. Very satisfying.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Today starts the 2nd week on new diet. Lost a big 6 lbs the 1st week. Very happy with that. The biggest problem I am having is eating all the food I am supposed to eat.

Walked 3 1/2 miles this morning and did some weights. Need to go eat something.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Still on plan with no problem. I made 2 flax muffins yesterday and I think that added to everything else was a little too much food. Going to make sure I eat enough without over eating today.

Walked 3 1/2 miles this morning. Back was killing me so I walked slower than usual. Loosened up after about 1 1/2 miles.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Going to go heavy on the protein shakes for a while. Have a ton of black raspberries turning ripe every day, so adding them to shakes is a good way to eat them. Food is still good. Having no trouble eating on plan.

Walked 3 1/2 miles this morning. Woke up with really bad back spasm. Probably from pulling weeds yesterday. Ice pack, icy-hot patch, and Aleve and it still hurts. So I skipped weights and just walked.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

For some reason, weight was up a little this morning. Will keep track better today of what I eat and see if that gets me back on track.

Walked 4 miles this morning. It's funny how pain moves around. Right calf to right hip to left calf to back to ... By the time I finished, I think everything was just numb.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Weight is still up. Going to stick with it.

Walked 3 miles today. Didn't have much energy.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Weight still hasn't come down. 5 days into 2nd week with a 1 lb GAIN. I have eaten on plan every day and walked at least 3 miles every day. I need to lose about 10 lbs asap so I can get my health insurance premium reduced.

So low carb until I get the 10 lbs off. Then back and try the ME plan again. It includes a lot of foods that reduce inflammation, cholesterol, and blood pressure. I think long term, it is a good choice for me. Actually, I was following the ME diet and using the Fat Resistance diet to select food choices.

So today was a very low carb day. Same for tomorrow and see how weight is on Monday.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Week 2 lose - 2 lbs.
Total - 8 lbs

Going to stay low carb for at least a few more days. If cravings kick in, will go back on ME diet.

Walked 3 1/2 miles today. Was able to increase speed for 1st 2 miles. 3rd mile was hard.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Cravings kicked in already, so I am transitioning back to the ME diet.

Walked 3 miles. Was sore, so walked slower and mixed a couple of weight machines into mix. I think that's what I need to do until my legs can take that amount of walking every day.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Back on ME diet.

Walked 3 miles. Back hurt. Finally loosened up after about 2 1/2 miles.