LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #1501
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Reva72
Stats: Morbidly Obese
WOE: Weight Watchers plus
Start Date: 3/9/14
Hi Martini!! Stop by more often.

Amber I still haven't got my butt to the gym. I am feeling like such the slacker. I am going this afternoon though come hell or high water. I can tell a huge difference since I haven't had time to get there and workout. I just keep telling myself one more week and then I can get my workouts done early in the morning and have the rest of the day free from it.

KT I haven't always been so smart but sure am trying to work on it.

Laura sorry I wasn't able to talk to you on the phone last night. Jeriah was so crabby and the freak accident outside was just terrible. We must talk to this weekend.

5/1 ~ 269.2
5/2 ~ 268.2
5/3 ~ 264.6
5/4 ~ 262.8
5/5 ~ 262.0
5/6 ~ 259.8
5/7 ~ 259.0
5/8 ~ 257.8
5/9 ~ 259.0
5/10~ 259.8
5/11~ No weigh in
5/12~ No weigh in
5/13~260.8
5/18~259.6
5/20~262.8

The scale was not kind to me this morning but I did it to myself. I have been on a salty kick again and now its time to kick it to curb for good this time. I can't continue this pattern or I will never get off of my bp meds.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...s-journey.html

November goal is to reach 320 ( Goal met on 11/29/10)
December goal is to reach 305
(goal met on 1/01/11)
January goal is to reach 290(goal met on 1/25/11)
February goal is to reach 277(goal met 2/24/11)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #1502
Big Yapper!!!!

So, I have been doing a whole lot of thinking today. I feel like I have hit a road block in my weight loss. I am losing the oomph to keep going strong because the weight loss has come to a halt or so it seems. I keep reading where people lose better when they have a "cheat." I have been wondering all day if this is truly what I need to get the scale moving again. Do I want to cheat? NO!!!! I haven't cheated in the 8 months I have been on plan. I want to live the rest of my life cheat free but is it truly possible. I know what happened to me the first go around years ago. All it took was one bite of fudge and I fell off the wagon for years. Do I have the will power to cheat and move on? This is one of the questions I have been asking myself all day. My will power is bullet proof since I haven't cheated but will I have it with an off plan meal? I am really confused and upset at the moment. What do I do?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #1503
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Reva,

Hang in there, I know you are so frustrated. I get this way too, I have hit the wall with my metabolism. I am just coming back to life, I starved myself into lethargy, with cold body temperature and I was so bummed. I could barely get anything done, it was hard to move.

I've been reading about metabolism, thyroid, and food reward. Without getting into technical details, basically, dieting can be hard on the thyroid. However, any low calorie diet does this, it is not unique to low carb. The body's defenses kick in at some point and slows down the metabolism.

Chris Kessler has been putting up podcasts about the ultra low carb diet increasing insulin resistance. It is nothing to freak out about, it's just that if you're running on ketones, the body becomes even less responsive to insulin. I think that eventually, this mechanism starts making it harder to lose weight. I still whole-heartedly believe low carb is the way to go. I would be right back to high blood sugar (type II diabetes) if I went astray.

Finally, the last thing I want to mention is that hard exercise, ultra low carb, and stress/illness (and I think at times you have a trifecta working against you on this) increases cortisol. This stress response makes it super hard to lose weight.

I don't have answers, I am stuck on my weight loss. However, out of an abundance of caution, if you decide to add some carbs back to the diet, I think the most important thing is to not trigger the body's reward systems, meaning, don't do it with the junk carbs! I am able to eat one or two sweet potatoes per day without freaking out. These are lower glycemic than potatoes (hard to believe because they are sweeter) and higher in nutrition. Slicing them up like fries, brushing them with some melted coconut oil and sprinkling with red pepper (cayenne pepper) and a little salt is really good! Also, I might have some low-carb fruit (lemons, berries), or some plain greek yogurt. I eat 50 carbs, sometimes 70, per day. I feel more energetic and still in control. If I eat a few bites of a cookie at work, I feel the cookie monster rising in me, it is not a good thing.

The other thing to try is to just plain eat more food. I have been doing a little of this. It is scary, but it is OK and I feel really good and more energetic.

So, that is my recommendation - look at adding sweet potatoes, low carb fruits, low carb yogurt, and see how you handle it, and go no farther with the carbs.

Also, I have dropped the vegetable oils (no corn, soy, canola, or other oils). I have read repeatedly that these cause inflammation that could be creating the obesity. I only eat butter, olive oil, coconut oil, animal fats, and avocados for my fats now.

I think long periods of maintenance gives the body time to "forget" about the higher weight and give up on trying to get it back. I think, dance with it for a while, that's the way I think about it.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 05-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #1504
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey1983
Stats: 360/350.8/150 (2 months postpartum)
WOE: Low Carb (Nursing)
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Reva, you got down to 259 this month hunny. You lost almost 10 pounds in the last 20 days.. I don't see where you are stalled. You are doing great! Be patient with yourself!

As for me, I am the same weight I was in February haha!

I think cheating is risky because you WILL see*usually* atleast a 5 lb gain. If you can mentally deal with this and hop right back on the wagon, then I don't see anything wrong with it. If you are scared it is going to totally derail you I would steer clear.

Reva, you have had one of the most remarkable (and fastest) losses I have ever seen on this board. Please be easy on yourself. YOU ARE DOING THIS! and doing it well might i add!

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

Last edited by Casey1983; 05-21-2011 at 01:26 AM..
Old 05-21-2011, 04:19 AM   #1505
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Reva look how long I stayed in the 170's. It will slow down and some times stop but you have to stick with it, trust me I know how frustrating it is. Don't let this get the best of you, you're stronger than this girl and you know it. Hang tuff!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #1506
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Reva- time for some slapping!!! One thing you have lost 7 pounds in 20 days that is a lot!!!!! My weight loss has slowed to 5 or 6 pounds per month but it is still coming off, you know when you eat salt you have a temporary gain, you are still losing, sometimes if you eat a bunch of carbs it will jump start you, but other times it makes it just that much harder to lose so just keep what you are doing, it is working, you are OK!!!!! Listen to me!!!!!! I am always right about you!!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #1507
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Martini72
Stats: ut ohh/aww shucks/wow
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: September 201o
ARE YOU SERIOUS WOMAN!!!! 7 -10 in 20 days is rapid!!! You are doing just fine. I understand you think its slow given your awesome progress!!! We started at the same time on here and if I didn't backslide you remind me of where I could be. Mauybe not as far but further. Don't cheat!!! Its not worth it!!! You look so good!!! I am tightening up the boat to get to the Twos!!!! I need you on plan Missy!!! YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #1508
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sara7272
Stats: 269/242/160 5'4"-31yo
WOE: Low carb my own way, started at 280 in 9/2010
Start Date: Starting over.... 1/6/14
I'm going to play devils advocate here, but I think ONE cheat meal (not day or week or month!) every once in a while really helps ME personally. I have that cheat meal and on top of it never being as good as I think it will be (so it helps me stay in line) I think it shakes things up a bit and your body almost like remembers why it likes low carb in the first place and is like ok ok i'll lose better! just don't try to fuel me with that junk anymore!

That is me personally, but the important part is that it is ONE meal and you are right back on board. If you do not trust yourself to get RIGHT back on plan, do not do it!

But if you can get right back on plan, think of it as an experiment. If it doesn't work, you've only lost a couple of days with the water weight you'll put on from it. I really find a cheat meal every month or so keeps me moving in the right direction. But that is just my opinion!!!

Reva what are you doing asking us for advice? We come here to ask YOU! lol! But yes, you also need some slapping because you are still doing awesome!

Goal #1- 230- Back to pre-preg weight
Goal #2- 199- Back to Onederland
Final Goal- 160- For now, then reassess

New LCF Journal- TBA!
My neglected blog- BaconBeatsBread.com

Last edited by Sara7272; 05-21-2011 at 06:30 AM..
Old 05-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #1509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sheesh, I should look at your numbers before I reply. Yep, you are still losing!

I am still worried about the contents of a carb meal, if you know that it can completely derail you.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #1510
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, Reva, just checking in, I know you were upset yesterday, how are you doing?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #1511
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
GM sweetie, I hope every things good with you. Have a great day.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 AM   #1512

Reva- where are you?????
Old 05-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #1513
Major LCF Poster!

Hey girl, you interested?

Daily Weigher Spring Challenge thread!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #1514
Big Yapper!!!!

I am here and ok!!! I will address each one of you wonderful ladies in the morning. I have just had a severe headache for the past two days. I did manage to make it to SAMS today for some good food so now I can plan a little better.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #1515
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, Reva, it is good to hear from you. Sorry about the headache!

I just made myself an icy whey shake with two raw egg yolks and a tablespoon of instant decaf for flavor (I saw you and Amber talking whey shakes). Oh my gosh, so good! I wish I could make you one!

The egg yolks are like taking vitamins, maybe this would help you feel better?

I have quit buying heavy whipping cream, so I'm using egg yolks instead.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #1516

KT- just made a black coffee, splash of cream, ice and whey shake, LOL

I still like my cream!!!! LOL

Reva- feel better hun tomorrow is a new week!!!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #1517
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Heh, good stuff Amber!!! Love it!!!

I still have half & half around, just a tablespoon for my decaf, or something to put in the egg casserole, so I'm not cream-free, LOL, baby steps!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #1518
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Reva,

Hang in there, I know you are so frustrated. I get this way too, I have hit the wall with my metabolism. I am just coming back to life, I starved myself into lethargy, with cold body temperature and I was so bummed. I could barely get anything done, it was hard to move.

I've been reading about metabolism, thyroid, and food reward. Without getting into technical details, basically, dieting can be hard on the thyroid. However, any low calorie diet does this, it is not unique to low carb. The body's defenses kick in at some point and slows down the metabolism.

Chris Kessler has been putting up podcasts about the ultra low carb diet increasing insulin resistance. It is nothing to freak out about, it's just that if you're running on ketones, the body becomes even less responsive to insulin. I think that eventually, this mechanism starts making it harder to lose weight. I still whole-heartedly believe low carb is the way to go. I would be right back to high blood sugar (type II diabetes) if I went astray.

Finally, the last thing I want to mention is that hard exercise, ultra low carb, and stress/illness (and I think at times you have a trifecta working against you on this) increases cortisol. This stress response makes it super hard to lose weight.

I don't have answers, I am stuck on my weight loss. However, out of an abundance of caution, if you decide to add some carbs back to the diet, I think the most important thing is to not trigger the body's reward systems, meaning, don't do it with the junk carbs! I am able to eat one or two sweet potatoes per day without freaking out. These are lower glycemic than potatoes (hard to believe because they are sweeter) and higher in nutrition. Slicing them up like fries, brushing them with some melted coconut oil and sprinkling with red pepper (cayenne pepper) and a little salt is really good! Also, I might have some low-carb fruit (lemons, berries), or some plain greek yogurt. I eat 50 carbs, sometimes 70, per day. I feel more energetic and still in control. If I eat a few bites of a cookie at work, I feel the cookie monster rising in me, it is not a good thing.

The other thing to try is to just plain eat more food. I have been doing a little of this. It is scary, but it is OK and I feel really good and more energetic.

So, that is my recommendation - look at adding sweet potatoes, low carb fruits, low carb yogurt, and see how you handle it, and go no farther with the carbs.

Also, I have dropped the vegetable oils (no corn, soy, canola, or other oils). I have read repeatedly that these cause inflammation that could be creating the obesity. I only eat butter, olive oil, coconut oil, animal fats, and avocados for my fats now.

I think long periods of maintenance gives the body time to "forget" about the higher weight and give up on trying to get it back. I think, dance with it for a while, that's the way I think about it.
Kt you always give me great insight on a lot of things. Thank you so much for sharing with me.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #1519
Big Yapper!!!!

I am on plan and did not cheat. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I need a good a$$ kicking thats for sure for evening thinking I wasn't losing fast enough. WTH was I thinking?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #1520
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1983 View Post
Reva, you got down to 259 this month hunny. You lost almost 10 pounds in the last 20 days.. I don't see where you are stalled. You are doing great! Be patient with yourself!

As for me, I am the same weight I was in February haha!

I think cheating is risky because you WILL see*usually* atleast a 5 lb gain. If you can mentally deal with this and hop right back on the wagon, then I don't see anything wrong with it. If you are scared it is going to totally derail you I would steer clear.

Reva, you have had one of the most remarkable (and fastest) losses I have ever seen on this board. Please be easy on yourself. YOU ARE DOING THIS! and doing it well might i add!
I don't think that I could mentally deal with a cheat Casey. That is the exact reason I didn't do it. I know exactly what happened to me the first time years ago and I refuse to ever let myself get over 300 pounds again and I know that is what would happen.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #1521
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratewoman View Post
Reva look how long I stayed in the 170's. It will slow down and some times stop but you have to stick with it, trust me I know how frustrating it is. Don't let this get the best of you, you're stronger than this girl and you know it. Hang tuff!
I am staying strong Laura. I promise. I just couldn't do it. I know how long you struggled to get under that 170 mark. You are a fighter and I admire you so much for it. Thank you for always being there for me.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #1522
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Reva- time for some slapping!!! One thing you have lost 7 pounds in 20 days that is a lot!!!!! My weight loss has slowed to 5 or 6 pounds per month but it is still coming off, you know when you eat salt you have a temporary gain, you are still losing, sometimes if you eat a bunch of carbs it will jump start you, but other times it makes it just that much harder to lose so just keep what you are doing, it is working, you are OK!!!!! Listen to me!!!!!! I am always right about you!!!!
Amber you have never been wrong about me!!! What would I ever do without you. I need that slap upside the head now. I don't know what the heck I was even thinking. I don't need to cheat to get this darn weight off. I know I have to leave the salt alone or I will stay this weight for a very long time. I am jumping on the scale in the morning and going to go from there with exactly what I know works and that is to leave all the salty stuff alone and only allow myself 1 can of diet soda a day.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #1523
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini72 View Post
ARE YOU SERIOUS WOMAN!!!! 7 -10 in 20 days is rapid!!! You are doing just fine. I understand you think its slow given your awesome progress!!! We started at the same time on here and if I didn't backslide you remind me of where I could be. Mauybe not as far but further. Don't cheat!!! Its not worth it!!! You look so good!!! I am tightening up the boat to get to the Twos!!!! I need you on plan Missy!!! YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!
Thank you Martini!!!! We can do this together!!!! Do you have a journal? I didn't cheat and don't plan on it at this point. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. I know just being plain selfish is all.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #1524
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara7272 View Post
That is me personally, but the important part is that it is ONE meal and you are right back on board. If you do not trust yourself to get RIGHT back on plan, do not do it!

Reva what are you doing asking us for advice? We come here to ask YOU! lol! But yes, you also need some slapping because you are still doing awesome!
Sara I am not as strong as you girlie. You are an inspiration to me my friend. I wish I could have that will power to cheat and jump back on but I can't promise myself that so I just refuse to take the chance. I need you guy's advice too young lady......LOL. Thats what we are all here for. I will take that slapping from you as well.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #1525
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my gosh, so glad to hear from you Reva!!!

Great, I am so pleased you stayed on track!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #1526
Major LCF Poster!

That a girl Reva You are very good at knowing what is best for you!!!! You're getting really good at this whole not sabotaging yourself thing! lol, I could take a few lessons from you on that!!!!

Side note: Diet soda is the devil!!!! It was on sale the other day and I bought 4- 12 packs!!! WTH was I thinking?!?!?! But in my defense, it was only $10 for all 4, and I rarely drink it, but it's nice to have some when I crave it I guess lol. I got diet root beer, diet orange, coke zero and sprite zero lol, my fridge makes me look even crazier now, hahaha
Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #1527
Big Yapper!!!!

Amber thank you so much for sharing that with me about the elliptical and calorie burning. I have just been doing the programs they have on the machine and will be sure to switch it up this week. I so wish we lived near each other as well. That would be awesome for us to work out together. Look at you young lady! 11 pounds in seven weeks is still good. That is just shy of 2 pounds a week. Right now I would take that and run with it. I used to use fit day religiously and maybe I need to give it a go for a while and see where things are truly standing food wise. I am for Sara's spring challenge. We can do this together!!!

Sara, wtg on the buy of soda......LOL. I would have bought them too. The only thing is I can't stand sprite zero. It tastes like pure carbination to me for some reason. Also, watch the diet orange soda. I can't remember off hand what people have said about it but read the label closely on it and see what it says. I am a diet mt. dew drinker and a diet 7-up. I did score a case of dt. mt dew at Sams Yesterday for $6 so I was happy with it.

Amber I couldn't find the carb countdown millk head but I did pick up some vanilla unsweet almond breeze. It tastes pretty good.

So, I got on the scale this morning and it was up to 264.6 . My fingers look like sausages this morning and my face is swollen. TOM should arrive anytime now if he is going to lurk his ugly mug this month. I am chugging water today and taking my meds and praying for the best.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #1528

The almond milk is good!!! I like that jsut as much and it is lower in calories and fat anyway, the carb countdown tastes really creamy which is why I sort of prefer it in shakes. Tony burned up our magic bullet his morning, he better stop and get another one or I am going to kick his A** and so will Bobby!!! LOL

OK we are in this!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #1529
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reva72 View Post
Sara, wtg on the buy of soda......LOL. I would have bought them too. The only thing is I can't stand sprite zero. It tastes like pure carbination to me for some reason. Also, watch the diet orange soda. I can't remember off hand what people have said about it but read the label closely on it and see what it says. I am a diet mt. dew drinker and a diet 7-up. I did score a case of dt. mt dew at Sams Yesterday for $6 so I was happy with it.
Oh I know all about the evils of diet orange! I read labels on them carefully! Some of them are tricksters! I very much prefer diet 7up (especially the cherry!) to diet/zero sprite, but it was Coke products in the sale, so I have to suffer lol
Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #1530

Is diet soda that bad? I have one a day the coke cherry zero, I am not much of a soda drinker, but I fell in love with that!!! I drink so much water it is like a little treat here at work, at home on the weekends I usually have one with dinner.
Closed Thread