Old 06-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #1411
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Peter Attia

How did I not know about this guy?

I was reading one of the keto threads yesterday and someone mentioned him regarding a TED talk he had given which I immediately watched, cried, and then started reading and watching other stuff with him.

I got up at 5:45 this morning (that was a pretty good night's sleep!) and I've been poking around his stuff ever since! I am finding what he is saying so much more understandable for me regarding the science behind keto and how it worked for him.

Plonk! A lightbulb moment to put a descriptor to it!

My greatest wish, however, is to find anecdotal writings with a woman at the helm. A woman at least 45+. I want to find some understandable science behind the whys and whats of slow weight loss and ketone-scarcity for women.

Because I've also read more than a few places that ketone readings of .5 and above are a goal, but readings of 1.5 - 3.0 are optimal.

I do realize that when I look at my daily food diary I throw in an occasional starchy thing that could be the linchpin for my lack of ketones. Personal derailment then moaning when it causes the typical outcome.

Gah!

What's super-weird for me lately is remembering how I was brought up. My momma fixed homemade meals every day. From scratch. We ate eggs, meat, real butter, salads with every meal, always a vegetable, olives on the table every day.

We also ate ice cream, bread and potatoes at every meal, cereal on occasional mornings (no sugared cereals), pop on the rare occasion.

How did I get into this mess?

Even when I was a young momma myself I fixed from-scratch meals as I was brought up. Made certain my daughters got proper fat on the daily.

But I did fall in love with Doritos, pizza rolls, pot pies, fast food.

I guess I just answered my own question.

Gah-squared!
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #1412
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Well, my dear.... I think you have found the woman to write about it!

You're funny, engaging, eloquent, beautiful - what a package. Gah!

BTW: Not sure if you're watching "Orange is the New Black" but I think you look like Alex...

Back on topic - when did you start gaining? Was it the introduction of fast food?

Attia is interesting, but have you gotten to the point where he took a break from NK? I'll see if I can email you the link.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #1413
Major LCF Poster!

Orange Is the New Black

I totally watch that! I'm waiting until Pup gets home from his weekend away to start though. I'm DYING to start! That's such a huge compliment - I think Alex is lovely.

This post from you really made my morning. Such a sweet thing to read!

I know I've said this, but I am glad I met you here! You are so smart and focused and a good momma with great hair! And fun to keto-sister with. You are a force to admire.

. . . so . . . a chunk of my story . . .

When I was 15 my parents moved our family from a suburb to the city. I went from a big fish in little pond to minnow in LARGE city-pond. No friends. In the summer before my Junior year. I started watching movies hanging out inside, eating lots of junk, reading, eating more junk - so lonely. It was the start of my struggle.

I've lost many times - sometimes for years. Then I had babies. Then I got smaller. Then I got really big (220) and some depression (didn't actually realize at the time). Lost again. Left husband. Stayed smaller. Lost corporate job I loved and had worked for over 11 years. Got big again.

Now I'm in my 50s and it's HARD to get there. I so want to, not just to look better, but I want to be active and vital in my later years.

Yes!

You are so smart to be nipping this in the bud way before you hit 50. You'll have a handle on this especially for your daughter.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 AM   #1414
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
DId you enjoy your GIRL only weekend??? What all did you do? anything fun??
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #1415
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, we want the dirt and pictures!

Yep, I have some parallels to your story - and it's the staying inside, reading and eating junk that hurt me through my teen years. After about the age of 12-13, I became a lot less active (it wasn't so cool to ride a bike in junior high and high school).

My corporate job change was after 12 years and I, too, ballooned to 220.

I truly wish I knew in my 20's what I know now about food - it was easy to crash diet at 21. It's different now - maybe if I had done it right, I wouldn't have to be doing it right this time.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #1416
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I hope you had a great weekend and got to get in some good activity like you wanted to. Back to the real world today?
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 AM   #1417
Major LCF Poster!

There is no incriminating evidence. Frankly on Friday evening I went to the gym after little Spud got picked up and I hit it hard. I was there over an hour. That's a long gym visit for me. I don't do much chronic-cardio any longer. I do about 20 minutes on the treadmill and then hit up the machines.

I was home by 8 and ate my late dinner and went to bed.

Saturday was just some errands and then my girlfriend came over around 3:00. She's a young un (even younger than you Sbarr!) and we ate shrimp and sautéed peppers and zukes. But nearly three bottles of wine. Ooops!

Danced around my living room singing at the top of our lungs like crazy women. Oh Rhianna would die if she had heard us.

Alli left around 11 and I sorta cleaned up, ate the last two shrimp, and went to bed. Of course my head in the morning was BAD and I had no voice.

My step tracker showed a manic number of steps so all that is good!

Pup was home by 12:30 Sunday. It was a wonderful weekend!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #1418

Love an evening with GREAT food, GREAT Wine and even better friends! Kindred soul! Sounds like a perfect weekend!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #1419
Big Yapper!!!!

Sounds like fun! Nothing like a girls night in and really getting relaxed.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #1420
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds like fun - we'll all have to join you next time!
Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 AM   #1421
Major LCF Poster!

Fat Fast Round Two

Sbarr and I decided to give this a try.

So today's ketones are

Weird since mine starts today and, in typical fashion, I had a very weird day yesterday. I had the WORST caesar salad for "lupper" (as my sweet husband calls late lunch early supper) and ate a few crackers w/sour cream later in the evening in a hoooongry moment. Gah. I need to be a steady Eddie.

I went to lunch yesterday with a girlfriend I've known since we were 18 or so. She was diagnosed with diabetes when we were 28. She never followed the diet from the beginning, just didn't want to and I don't think the diagnosis held as much weight as it should have, and eventually she had to first take pills then insulin shots.

When she was around 45 she broke her foot and it wouldn't heal. She had to wear a bone stimulator to help things along, but the experience left her with a not quite limping gait. At this same time she began having trouble with one of her eyes. She eventually lost site from that eye entirely.

About four years ago her sweet husband died from a stroke at age 56. Talk about a shock to our group. 56? Way too young. I miss him still.

During all of that turmoil she had a small accident with her foot again and this time it was her big toe that became infected. In her grief she didn't follow through with doctor visits and wound up having to have that toe amputated.

I see her a couple of times a year and we met yesterday. She is my very same age. She still smokes, moves very slowly, has gained quite a bit of weight that she holds in an apple shape.

We were talking about nutrition and her diabetes. I was asking questions to help me help Momma Betty with her diabetes. But I realized something that I believe lots of regular-type-joes don't understand about nutrition and diabetes: my friend believes that her insulin insulates her from the effects of her disease. In spite of the directly-related-to-diabetes effects she has experienced.

I think about the misinformation she and Momma Betty get from their doctors! I'm not villainizing doctors, but this needs to get better! My friend still believes that it isn't the sugar so much as it is the carbs. WThell girl! Sugar IS carbs! Gah. I mentioned at one time how fat can offset any potential blood-sugar spikes (by buttering toast, eating full-fat ice cream rather than fat-free etc) and she had no idea. In fact, I could tell she was rather skeptical.

I don't know exactly where I'm going with this, but it has strengthened my resolve. I don't want the sugar spikes of today to become my diabetes tomorrow.

I'm sad today. I think about choices. I think about my friend and how this disease has affected her in more ways then she might know.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:32 AM   #1422
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
count me in I'll come too! Of course I will have to go to the Dells in wis. on the way you know. HEHEHE!!! Love that spot,
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #1423
Blabbermouth!!!

Daisy - OK, I'm in!!

0.5 today - this shouldn't be so low on a post-fat fast day, but I'm staying resolved. While I thought I would just do 2 days, I think I'm going to go to day 3. What's another day of fat fasting when you're strong?

So sad to hear about your friend... I suspect this is the case with so many people - just not knowing. There's something in me that wonders what the tipping point is to become enlightened about blood sugar. What is that point of never going back that we hit where we finally realize this Not trying to sound like a flat-earth society or religious cult type (we're not that much of a splinter group).

Regarding your resolve - and I do seriously believe this - how are you going to share your information with your grandson? How are you going to convey your wisdom to another generation. I'm seriously thinking about that right now - Lindsey is my social experiment in some ways (more on that another time) and definitely is becoming my ongoing carb experiment (another story).
Old 06-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #1424
Major LCF Poster!

OMGosh sbarr - it's so funny you mention this about my grandson. I try so hard to not be a butt-in-ski, but I can't help it. It's my nature. So I've been encouraging good fats with his first foods; one of his first things he ate was an avocado. His father thinks me insane. But Spud LOVED the avocado.

Bella is making her own baby food which is fantastic, but she's feeding him formula (he's been breastfed up to this point - he's 7 months) and grain cereal.

She steamed some organic carrots (yea!) and he HATED them. I asked if he could have butter (kerrygold) and I fed him some on Monday with butter and he scarfed them up!

So . . . I'm encouraging and trying to zip it when she makes decisions because he's not my baby. I only think he is! Ha!

But Bella is hella-smrt and I know she wants to do right by Spud. He's kinda a scrawny little dude just like his momma was when she was a baby. It was just how she was. And I got no end of grief for it - apparently only fat babies are cute.

As an adult Bella has always been a good weight. Her body type is more like her dad's side of the family though so that might be the factor. My DD2 is built just like me and was a chunky-monkee when a baby. She struggles with her weight a bit. Genetics vs lifestyle.

Lorenzo (DD2) is a very healthy eater. No pop ever, loves to cook from scratch. But she does love her beer and has a very active social life with her boyfriend.

Gah.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #1425

Daisy, I am sure it was tough seeing her and watching how not making changes has drastically caused her the health issues she is suffering from. Diet is obviously way more important that she is giving it credit for. Heck, you would have thought losing sight in an eye would have woke her to that fact. Pills can't solve everything. Be it diabetic, anti-depressants, you name it. We have to take some responsibility too!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #1426
Big Yapper!!!!

Diabetes is a way scarier disease than a lot of people see it as, I think. And there are lots of people like your friend who don't take it seriously, or think I'll deal with that when I'm older and it really starts hurting me. Later comes sooner when you don't take care of yourself though. Very sad to hear that about your friend.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:49 AM   #1427

Missing you!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:36 AM   #1428
Senior LCF Member

Good morning Daisy. Hope your weekend is fun.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #1429
Senior LCF Member

Hey Daisy hope you are out having fun today. Kick back and relax. It is a day to relax and enjoy. Sunny cool and oh so pretty here. You could not ask God for a prettier day. Unless you asked to go to a ball game maybe!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #1430

It's Monday morning girl!! How goes it?
Old 06-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #1431
Senior LCF Member

Missing you!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #1432

We all MISS YOU!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #1433
Major LCF Poster!

Hello sweet Zip! I'm here and there. We were on vacation to Vegas with both of my girls for a few days. Fun in the sun and lots of beverages!

Nice to see all of your lovely faces!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #1434

Nice to see you back girl! Have fun in Vegas with the FAM?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #1435

MISS YOU!