Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #1201
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post

When Will I Be Loved?
Okay, so. I have a proposition for you. Come visit me and stay as long as you like. We have two vacant extra bedrooms. You'll have all the privacy you want.

While here, your perks:
  1. more sunshine
  2. fresh mountain air
  3. daily and structured one-on-one gym training, courtesy of moi
  4. silly-girls giggle time
  5. one glass of red wine daily
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #1202
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Okay, so. I have a proposition for you. Come visit me and stay as long as you like. We have two vacant extra bedrooms. You'll have all the privacy you want.

While here, your perks:
  1. more sunshine
  2. fresh mountain air
  3. daily and structured one-on-one gym training, courtesy of moi
  4. silly-girls giggle time
  5. one glass of red wine daily
OMG I'm in! I was just going to ask how the training with your girl friends is going?

I should add that glass of red wine at the very least. The sun is shining today and that's always a good thing. And my office has a window. That's a good thing!

The giggle-time especially sounds lovely.
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #1203

Quote:
Blah!

I'm sitting here right now and I'm feeling thirsty, but have not as of yet opened up my Smartwater. grr

Yesterday I could feel myself wavering, but did not cave. I can feel a lot of water retention going on. Probably because I'm not drinking enough water. Grr! lol

Okay - as for me:
  • retaining water
  • carb creep
  • haven't binged, but having binging thoughts
  • didn't make gym yesterday - knees were hurting so much!
  • knees are better today - wth??? Popcorn? yup
Okay, I opened my water bottle. Drinking. Heading for the shower. Gym bag packed and ready for this afternoon. It will be a busy day.

Your advice to him is sound -- please just TAKE CHARGE, woman. You got this figured out and he can thank you later -- you decide the gratuity

Yes, by all means, drink the water. I read the other day an article about this 50 something hottie who works out regularly, and she was saying that the very first thing she does -- even before coffee -- she drinks one quart of water. That's a helluva lot of water, I know. I tried it, and could only manage 20, so maybe I'll work up to that. But the "flush" effect really does work. And crazy enough, it makes you thirstier too, which is a good thing. You start to crave more WATER.

Keep in mind also that when our joints ache and/or we feel fatigued, much of the time it's because we're dehydrated. The extra fluid will also help you with that knee pain hopefully.

That and clean eating, less inflammation.

It's hard, isn't it? HELL YES IT'S HARD. We all know this. The tough ones survive, girl. It's not going to always be easy on this mission of yours, but it's going to be worth it.

Inhale. Exhale. Breathe. And push through with a vengeance.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #1204

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I am sure TAX SEASON is nuts for him! I can only imagine the level of stress he is feeling! Only 2 more weeks...he is in the final stretch now!

YOu are doing great girl! Keep it up!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:25 AM   #1205
Major LCF Poster!

Thursday

blech

I'm up a couple of pounds. I hate the scale and no matter how many times I say don't do it, I hop on it.

Huge storm on the way. I keep saying things like, "As soon as the weather is nice . . ." or "After tax season . . ."

So . . . I don't know what I was going to say! heh

Keep on it. Get on it. Stay on it. What the hell is it??

Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #1206

Quote:
blech

I'm up a couple of pounds. I hate the scale and no matter how many times I say don't do it, I hop on it.

SAME FOR ME TOO!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #1207

IGNORE THE SCALE! It is a LIAR AND A CHEAT!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #1208
Major LCF Poster!

I hate its rotten digital guts! hehehe
Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #1209

Quote:
blech

Huge storm on the way. I keep saying things like, "As soon as the weather is nice . . ." or "After tax season . . ."

So . . . I don't know what I was going to say! heh

Keep on it. Get on it. Stay on it. What the hell is it??
You know, there's no way I'm gonna let you lose focus. Not gonna happen. This will NOT destroy you, your motivation, or your spirit.

Let's think through all of this a little bit.

The scale is up for any one or more of these reasons:

1 - You have been eating more cals than you're burning
2 - You're holding onto water from carb bloat
3 - You're holding onto water from too much sodium (check your food)
4 - You're holding onto water because you've been working out at the gym, you've worked your muscles (i.e., torn them down) and your body is not used to this, therefore it reacts by protecting the inflamed tissue by way of fluid retention. resulting in anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds of scale weight gain. This TEMPORARY increase on the scale is not to be interpreted as a bad thing, although it can be counterintuitive to our mindset and discouraging.

There are people who may see a drop on the scales 2, 3 4 x a week. These same people may rarely if ever exercise. Okay. So fine. They lose weight on the scale. Lah-di-frikkin-dah. But eventually their weight will stall again because they're losing likely as much muscle as fat, and the more muscle you lose, the slower your metabolism. The slower your metab, the less you can eat without gaining. And that's only the START of their problems. (oh, so little time....!)

Take two people who start out weighing the same. Person A exercises/trains, Person B does not. At the end of 6 weeks, Person B has lost more scale weight, but guess what? Person A looks tighter and better in their clothes (and naked!) than Person B, even though they may have only lost a pound or two -- or in some cases, none at all in that same 6 week period depending on how hard they're training the muscles.

Who would you rather be?

Here's what you gotta wrap your brain around: You can't let one screw up (popcorn) or even a few screw ups in a week's time let you cave and do an all-or-nothing pity binge, a binge that could lead to two, three, four binges -- enough to throw you all the way back to Square One.

It's one day. Tomorrow is a new one. It won't set you back unless you let it. This game is won IN YOUR MIND first, girlfriend. IN YOUR MIND. Not on the damn scale.

I know it's discouraging. Hell, I get that! I do get that. But don't let it hold you back. Get up and fight. Fight like hell.

Meanwhile, you take a close look at your diet. You do Keto. Fine. You chose that for a reason. It works for you. Fine. But if at some point what you're eating does not meet your body's needs -- for whatever reason -- your hormones will take over and send crazy signals to your hunger hormones, and you will be more tempted to crave bad food.

The best approach for this is either to once or twice a week increase the AMOUNT of food you're eating -- same food, just more of it, a mini refeed, if you will -- or to rotate your carb intake a couple of times a week. If you're currently eating, say, 20 carbs, twice a week eat 50-75 carbs, but make them the good carbs, the kind your body needs and uses, not the kind that gets stored as fat. This "cycle" will have the same effect as the zigzag of more CALORIES in the first example. It's all to keep your body guessing and keep the furnace hot.

I refuse to let you go. I don't let go very easily to things I'm impassioned about.

You can't either.

Now go have yourself a great day. You got this. Be smart, get mean and do this right!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #1210
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you T. I'm not throwing in the towel. My body does not like to lose weight. My doctor is scratching his head as well.

I'm hanging! Lower carb is definitely for me, but maybe Keto isn't the perfect thing. I'm not giving up. Just disappointed! I need a little kick start on the scale. I'm begging! lol
Old 04-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #1211
Major LCF Poster!

I try try try to not have the all-or-nothing thinking. I love Mark Sisson's 80-20 or 90-10 rule. No one can live all or nothing. It is a setup for failure.

. . . and yes yes yes, my hormones truly are all over the place because I'm working on that right now as well. So I'm a rather messy little mess!

A tiny little pity party is over now.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #1212

I empathize with your frustrations. I agree wholeheartedly that low carb is where it's at with post-menopausal (or even peri) women. And I'm not meaning to imply that keto isn't the right choice for you.

I think you just need to experiment with a bit of tweaking to fine tune your fuel with your body's needs for overall balance. 50 carbs or under is still considered low carb, and there's always a chance that rotating your carbs and/or calories -- even while eating no more than 50 on a given day -- can make that difference. They say that too low in carbs causes depression. Some people will crave carbs when they're depressed, so you can see the connection.

It's so very damn complicated, isn't it? You've said so yourself.

And it's perfectly fine for all of us to beech a little now and then, purge that crap out of us. Far better than keeping it in, IMHO. But then again, I'm a hot-head by nature, and keeping it in would be a totally foreign concept to me. Add that to my Gemini characteristics (Jekyll Hyde), and watch out, people, she's pissed. Run for your lives!

Ya do whatcha gotta do, right?

You're smart to keep hanging in there and experimenting with what is gonna work best for YOU. I'm just really glad that your doc mentioned adding extra protein. Give THAT tweak a little time to take effect, too, remember.

And keep Coconut Oil stocked like toilet paper. It is a miracle worker for this and an endless number of other issues.

Ahhhhhright.

Now. Carry on.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 04-03-2014 at 09:58 AM..
Old 04-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #1213
Major LCF Poster!

I love coconut oil. I've been using it for years and years. I even slather it on my lovely body every morning.

Listen, if I don't hash it out here on *paper* I will explode. So yeah, I'm going to whine a bit, crow a bit, dance a bit, drag my sorry arse a bit.

I'm not chucking Keto. I know that low/lower carb is the thing for me. I have definitely added protein (I had some GNC stuff in the cupboard) since Dr. S mentioned it during my appointment. In fact, I made a pudding-type thingy ala tPretty just last night. Protein ramps right up when you use that stuff! Nice.

I'm naturally an experimenter. It hasn't always served me, but that has never scared me!

I'm trying hard to not bore the living he!! out of my family/friends so I go on and on here. It's my safe place. My place to spill.

Ha!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #1214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/182/135 (26-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Bore us - we love you!

BTW: Twyla's post #1210 when she's kicking you in the pants should be a sticky everywhere (every forum)
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #1215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hey girl I am having the same problem. Your not alone. Yell all you want. Throw the scales out the window. It will freeze its numbers off. Serves it right. Hope your day goes great tomorrow. Scream, kick , curse, It don't matter we will be here when you get it out of your system. Lov Ya!
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #1216

Atta girls.

Let's keep her on that horse!

(And do I EVAH agree -- she couldn't be boring if she tried! Anything but!)
Old 04-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #1217
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning my lovely ladies! Good morning me! Heh!

There is about 8 inches of new snow out there. I just turned on the tv to see what's going on out there. Okay - looks like another 3 or so might come down.

But it is lovely. Snow is just lovely. There is no denying it. And I'm so blessed because even if I have to drive in it I only go about 5 miles to The Firm and today is a Spud day.

Hey! I live in Minnesnowta after all. This really isn' that unusual. I think we had a bit of snow in May last year.

Sandra - Twyla is the BEST at kicking ass! And she has the goods to back up everything she says.

And I'm back on the horse. I didn't fall all the way off. And, as Twyla pointed out Sandra's tagline, Don't worry about momentary cheats or stumbles, focus on succeeding in the long run. Always keep your eye on the target and if you stumble, get back up and stay in the race. Yeah! I'm in this race.

Okay - yesterday was good. Very very busy.

Plan for Weekend:
  • clean house
  • gym tonight and Sunday
  • hit 10k steps all three days
  • get to Costco? I need to stock up on some staples.
Oh - and, again, STOP stepping on the scale Me. Yesterday's two pound gain is today gone. So there stupid scale. I need a name for my scale like Sandra.

Mine is an old dude. Hmm - how about OBG? Nah, hmm . . . I'll keep thinking.

Rock on my sisters! It's Friday and I'm In Love! (love you The Cure.)

I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's gray and Wednesday too
Thursday I don't care about you
It's Friday I'm in love
Monday you can fall apart
Tuesday Wednesday break my heart
Thursday doesn't even start
It's Friday I'm in love

Saturday wait
And Sunday always comes too late
But Friday never hesitate

I don't care if Monday's black
Tuesday Wednesday heart attack
Thursday never looking back
It's Friday I'm in love

Monday you can hold your head
Tuesday Wednesday stay in bed
Or Thursday watch the walls instead
It's Friday I'm in love

Saturday wait
And Sunday always comes too late
But Friday never hesitate

Dressed up to the eyes
It's a wonderful surprise
To see your shoes and your spirits rise
Throwing out your frown
And just smiling at the sound
And as sleek as a shriek
Spinning round and round
Always take a big bite
It's such a gorgeous sight
To see you eat in the middle of the night
You can never get enough
Enough of this stuff
It's Friday
I'm in love
Old 04-04-2014, 03:53 AM   #1218
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windygap View Post
Hey girl I am having the same problem. Your not alone. Yell all you want. Throw the scales out the window. It will freeze its numbers off. Serves it right. Hope your day goes great tomorrow. Scream, kick , curse, It don't matter we will be here when you get it out of your system. Lov Ya!
Smooches woman. You are adorable.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #1219
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Thanks I need them. Getting ready for work check on you later.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #1220

Daisy - stay strong girl. Long run is what matters! Enjoy the BABY today
Old 04-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #1221

Quote:
There is about 8 inches of new snow out there. I just turned on the tv to see what's going on out there. Okay - looks like another 3 or so might come down.

But it is lovely. Snow is just lovely. There is no denying it. And I'm so blessed because even if I have to drive in it I only go about 5 miles to The Firm and today is a Spud day.

Sandra - Twyla is the BEST at kicking ass! And she has the goods to back up everything she says...
......Self-Made Master Ass Kicker

....I'm back on the horse... yesterday was good. Very very busy.

Plan for Weekend:
  • clean house
  • gym tonight and Sunday
  • hit 10k steps all three days
  • get to Costco? I need to stock up on some staples.
Oh - and, again, STOP stepping on the scale Me. Yesterday's two pound gain is today gone. So there stupid scale. I need a name for my scale like Sandra.

Mine is an old dude. Hmm - how about OBG? Nah, hmm . . . I'll keep thinking.

Would that be ... "old buff guy," or "oldie but goodie"?

Rock on my sisters! It's Friday and I'm In Love
It's Friday I'm in love...
You can never get enough
Enough of this stuff
It's Friday
I'm in love
So about all that beautiful characteristic Minnesota snow ... yes, wearing its welcome totally out, but you're right. Snow is absolutely beautiful. No denying it!

Glad you're holding on to that horse, riding this little hurdle out

But you're right, IT'S FRIDAY AND I'M IN LOVE. It is indeed. And that little darling baby is gonna give you plenty of reasons to love on HIM today.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:18 AM   #1222
Major LCF Poster!

Saturday Wait

Yesterday was good. Very good. Spud is in a new phase (they change every week!) where he just likes to grunt away. Working on his vocal skilz the gorgeous little thing. I took a video and I just might inflict. Although I really shouldn't. These things are only precious to Gigi and Papi.

Speaking of Papi - have you heard Jennifer Lopez's new song I Luh My Papi? I sing it to Spud and he gets the biggest kick! Gets a smile out of him even when he is most contemplative. His momma Bella said she read about cognitive development and how certain rhythms are motivating and desirable to babies. Remember the Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) phenomenon a few years ago? There were slews of videos posted on YouTube showing babies of all ages getting their little baby-groove on watching/listening to that song. Adorable!

Spud loves music as all babies do. I sing him to sleep every day for his naps. If he's a little wound up and crabby having him up against my chest while I'm singing calms him right down. Sometimes I just say nonsense words or play out my activities that I will accomplish during his nap. He becomes a heavy little chunk and then I know he's sleeping. Takes about five minutes. He's the best baby.

Love my Spud. I do go on and on about him don't I? Can't help it!

Okay, here's the video. Feel free to scroll on by. I should FB these types of things, but I think I'm breaking up with FB. I've had enough of their shenanigans!

Oh yeah, this is the stuff only a Gigi could love. He did this all day while he was awake. #omgthatlittlebabytoupee

The sun will be shining today! Lots of that pesky snow melted yesterday already and today will really make more disappear. It's going to be a great day.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #1223
Major LCF Poster!

To Bella (and young mommas from what I'm hearing from her) screen time means all screens including televisions. Hey! I was never above plopping my babies down in front of Sesame Street or Mr Rogers if I needed to be engaged elsewhere for a bit of time. But #imnotthemomma. We'll see how it goes.

Although re: screen time I was incredibly alarmed when my niece got her baby an iPad for her first birthday! And have you seen all the babies that know how to swipe on their parent's phones? It's a new world out there for us Gigi's!

Right?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #1224
Major LCF Poster!

I found this while poking around here this morning. I bet everyone has read this, but how good is this read? I need it here for me to reference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who become assimilated into the low carb lifestyle, a pattern emerges.... the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can't resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can't bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it's readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body's water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don't understand what's happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it's water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it's easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn't have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts.

The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. That's why, when it comes to eating, it's wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it's packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it's stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates.

As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it's associated water. It's normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you're prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it's wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you've had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It's the actual weight of everything you've had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you've finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it's not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it's likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in.

Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale's sneakiest attribute. It doesn't just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn't necessarily mean that you've lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you've lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you're just sitting around. That's one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn't differentiate between the two. It can't tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat.

There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn't appeal to you, don't worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don't be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride.

It's a matter of mind over scale.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #1225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning - I love the little video....just made me smile. I want you as my Gigi!

Re: screen time - I'm probably on the bad side. I put my daughter in front of the TV, not even watching so she's had the noise. From about 2-3 months of age, she has slept like a ROCK.

We do watch TV - streaming Netflix. We had a bout where her favorite show was South Park when she was 3. I'm sure you can imagine the "I see" look, when the topic of TV came up during parent teacher conference as her nice little private Montessori school. But, to this day, she has never cursed, never a foul word and she'll be 6 in a couple of weeks. I prefer she see the bad stuff with me so I can explain that no, you do not say these words. Her latest show on Netflix is Grey's Anatomy and this is the result. I built her a little surgical table and center for her to play doctor. I slept late one morning and woke up to her performing brain surgery on her doll. (We have a table set up with a lamp, some inexpensive medical stuff and a cart like you'd see in a hospital)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo[4].JPG (98.0 KB, 7 views)

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #1226
Major LCF Poster!

O.M.G. I love your daughter!

I'm with you, I personally didn't have problems with "screen time" either. And I parented during the helicopter 80s and 90s. I was not one of the "good" moms let me tell you what. I like you even more now!

My 2nd daughter and I cuddled every day watching I Love Lucy. She wasn't a good napper, but would calm down and rest if we cuddled and she loved that goofy show. She's a responsible adult now! lol

I should take Twyla's advice and just get the DVDs and not mention them to my daughter. Is that too naughty-Gigi?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #1227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm very unorthodox with the TV (but, I follow through very carefully on what I do) - maybe she's growing up a bit too quick, but she's learning to be thoughtful and rational. I think my favorite show for her so far has been "The Fosters" which is about a bi-racial lesbian couple with one pre-lesbian biological teenage son, two Mexican adoptive children (who were foster children) and now two new foster kids. Imagine trying to explain nuances of the story line to a 5 yo, but she has really caught on and is trying to figure it all out.

If that doesn't teach her not to be prejudiced, I don't know what will. I've had a ton of questions about lesbians, adoptive children, immigrants.

That said, I don't quite know how to explain Family Guy, but we both enjoy it.

We still watch My Little Pony, too. I leave the Disney (smart aleck kids and bumbling parents) to her dad. I won't let her watch it. I'd prefer Walking Dead over something from Disney or Nickelodeon. At the age of 4, she knew how to kill a zombie. It's a good skill to have.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:31 AM   #1228
Major LCF Poster!

I remember going to a conference for one of my daughters and the teacher and I were discussing this and that when he said, "Mrs. Wasband, I can tell Lorenzo comes from a home where the parents are paying attention. You have no idea how many parents are not paying attention."

That stuck in my mind for years. That maybe it's just that easy (I don't really mean easy, it's never easy) to parent. Show up and pay attention.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #1229
Major LCF Poster!

Monday Checkin

Oh joy! Who knew that two little pounds could make me so happy?

But I am.

The weekend was great. Hit the gym, got some cleaning done, errands, even cooked last night. A success all around.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #1230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

But sweetie - you didn't need to give them to me....I'm up 1.4 from Saturday.