Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 03:29 AM   #841
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Loved your blog about your accupuncture session!!! Have a great day Daisy!
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #842
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Livywilltim-mom
Stats: 208/Jan 14/183/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 9, 2014
Oh, Daisy, I can so relate to a racing mind when all you want to do is RELAX!! LOL

Keep us posted about the appointments.

Love ya
Livywilltim-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #843
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Day 16

Mangia
Today seemed strange. Every time I ate I got very full. Wound up with very low calories. Not like me.

< this is normal me

Esercizio
20 minutes elliptical < I was struggling with this, more than likely because of the low protein and calories >
crunches - did four sets of 15 on a ball; I'm not feeling them though. Need something different?
25 minutes weight machines. I'm feeling it nicely in my bi's and tri's and back.

Macros
cal - 833 < weird; I must have counted wrong somewhere >
fat - 57 percent
carb - 28 percent
protein - 15 percent < oh dear, get that up! >

32.1g - protein
59.1g - carbs
12.5g - fiber

Last edited by DaisyGG; 01-14-2010 at 06:26 AM..
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #844
Major LCF Poster!

I'm almost out of my whey protein. I was going to look at the club last night and forgot. I don't like the stuff from GNC - which is what I have right now.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #845
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Livywilltim-mom
Stats: 208/Jan 14/183/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 9, 2014
Wowzer, you need to eat more today!! I do think the cardio will be tough without the fuel from the protein...heck, just walking around would be tough with those few calories!!

Love ya
Livywilltim-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #846
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: speedymagee
Stats: highest176/now150/145ish
WOE: CAD
Hello there Daisy girl,

I forgot to mention in my last post that I loved your blog!! I hope this isn't too weird to say, but in one photo you had a picture of a book called Staging Your Comeback. I took it out of the library (I would like to make myself over). Good ideas in there, wish there were more pictures though, I need to see it to get it ya know?

How's the knee?
speedymagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #847
Major LCF Poster!

Daisy, do you go to Life Time Fitness? I know for sure, the LTF whey protein isolate is of highest quality (shhhh my husband is the Director of Nutritional Products & Services for LTF) and tastes great. I drink at least one if not two shakes a day because it is convenient and quick. I usually mix mine with unsweetened almond milk and heavy cream. Find a personal trainer on the fitness floor and tell them you are interested and you will get 10% off of your purchase. Let me know if you have questions! Oh and also what club do you go to? I might be able to recommend a trainer to connect with as well.
I eat right, I exercise, I look good, I feel good, I weigh exactly what God wants me to weigh.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #848
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedymagee View Post
Hello there Daisy girl,

I forgot to mention in my last post that I loved your blog!! I hope this isn't too weird to say, but in one photo you had a picture of a book called Staging Your Comeback. I took it out of the library (I would like to make myself over). Good ideas in there, wish there were more pictures though, I need to see it to get it ya know?

How's the knee?
Hey Sandy! Thanks for reading my blog! I knew there was one person out there!

I know what you mean about the makeover photos though. There can never be enough of those IMHO. I love this book for a few reasons. One: Mr. Hopkins is a local guy that I have met (I scared him - ha!) and my former boss was one of his makeover women and the change was AMAZING! Two: I like how the book takes you through STEPS. That appeals to my crazy mind.

Check out his website for more photos (I think). We can make ourselves over together! Exciting!

I had my 2nd acupuncture appointment and it does feel different. I'm being patient. I know we (the broad-we) feel we want insta-cure. Patience for me.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #849
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa120 View Post
Daisy, do you go to Life Time Fitness? I know for sure, the LTF whey protein isolate is of highest quality (shhhh my husband is the Director of Nutritional Products & Services for LTF) and tastes great. I drink at least one if not two shakes a day because it is convenient and quick. I usually mix mine with unsweetened almond milk and heavy cream. Find a personal trainer on the fitness floor and tell them you are interested and you will get 10% off of your purchase. Let me know if you have questions! Oh and also what club do you go to? I might be able to recommend a trainer to connect with as well.
Aaaah! I'm at Bally's (got a 6-month free membership from DD2). I was checking out LTF when I got the free offer. It looked brilliant.

So cool about your hubbins.

Trainers scare me! Am I a wuss?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #850
Major LCF Poster!

Day 17

Mangia
Another very weird day. I am going to ride it out.

Esercizio
mall walking - 45 minutes

Macros
cal - 1467
fat - 53 percent
carb - 33 percent
protein - 13 percent {even worse }

48.6g - protein
123.6g - carbs
11.5g - fiber
Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #851
Major LCF Poster!

Weigh In Day

No loss again. Let's look at what I noted last week that needed to be addressed.

1. Alcohol - I had several atypical events this week and I drank wine at all of them. I'll watch the alcohol next week. Didn't have any alcohol this week.
2. My protein wasn't up where it needs to be. Still having problems.
3. My carbs need to be lower. Yes, still.
4. More water - this has always been something I struggle with. Yep, still having issues.
5. Skip bananas and other higher carb fruits for the time being. No fruit this week.
6. I need to incorporate some solid IFing for lower calories. Don't even know what to say about this since I had a huge binge weekend.

What went well.

1. Exercise - I'm going and working hard. I've done things independently at home as well. It's time to up my game here.
2. I've had very very little sugar. Yeah, right.
3. My cravings, while not completely gone, have really gotten manageable. Not this week; out of control for beginning of week.

Hmm . . . to recap:

Carbs are an issue. Protein is an issue. I need more water and more exercise.

I am going to try a week of lowest carbs and higher protein ever to get a handle on the cravings. A solid week.

Incorporate some at-home exercising.

I am starting school next week so we'll see if this helps or hurts.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:55 AM   #852
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Daisy,

I want to help you.

Okay?
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #853
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Daisy,

I want to help you.

Okay?

You are a darling girl.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #854

Okay. Let's talk.

Addressing the effects of bingeing first.

First, depending on how bad your binge was, how long it lasted, and what TYPES of food you ate, regaining control and getting your body back on the right track and onward with fat burning may take a little longer.

If what you ate was high in salt and carbs, you will retain water obviously. If the binge lasts more than a day, consider that it's going to take longer to release the toxins.

So to counter the effects, focus on eating normally the next day (not cutting back on cals thinking you're doing your body a favor here) , paying particular attention to higher protein foods. Foods higher in protein will help you to rid your body of the excess water (this is how high protein foods are metabolized by our bodies, thus causing us to release the water -- and that's why high protein diets, esp from the beginning, typically show a huge loss on the scale -- it's water). So yes, eat higher protein, lower carbs (not zero carbs), and moderate fat.

Be sure to drink lots of water , as much as possible, to help flush the salt out of your system. Stay away from processed foods and/or any foods with a higher salt content. You may feel like you want to puke from drinking a lot of water, but too bad. Drink it anyway.

Try to do some light exercise on the day or and/or the day following a binge (or an hour or two following). The synergistic effect of overfeeding AND activity on our metabolism will result in some damage control -- both serve to raise the metabolism. Doesn't have to be strenuous or high intensity. SS cardio will suffice, 30 to 60 mins.

Stay off the damn scale.

I'll address each of your issues separately. Hope this helps you with putting this in perspective.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #855

Why do we binge?

Binges are sometimes triggered by an emotional response to crap in our lives that leaves us feeling out of control, and we seek comfort in food. I have been a victim of this "trigger" more times than I care to mention. Avoiding the propensity to react or to give in to this trigger is key. What things can we do to avoid a binge to begin with?

Incorporate things that will help to improve our mood levels, decrease our stress levels. Extra Vit D, check. Sun, check. Exercise, CHECK. Even 10 or 15 mins of light cardio can make a big diff in our response to an emotional trigger. (Just to mention a few)

Other reasons for our propensity to binge have to do with our diets. If we are eating either not enough, or the wrong choices of fuel, improper balance, over time that is gonna set us up for binge. This is the HARDEST lesson I have learned personally, and one that I'm most grateful to have finally grasped the significance of in trying to gain control of weight management.

I saved in one of my fitness files an analogy written by Jennifer Nicole Lee that was a light-bulb illustration -- for me, at least. Here goes:

Quote:
Jane's Story:

Take "Jane"... she is a 30 year old woman who is 50 lbs over weight. She is frustrated because she can never get full in her efforts to lose weight. She was told that she needed to eat very low calories in order to lose all that fat, and she has been ever so faithful in sticking to the plan. Yet, everyday, she feels more and more hungry, and not only is the scale staying the same, but she is feeling less tone in her muscles each and every day.

Her feeling of frustration continues to build until she simply can't take it anymore, thoroughly upset at her body for "not losing the weight"... so she binges one night on pizza and ice cream, just about enough to make her sick. Now she feels guilty for having "messed things up" so badly, and falls completely off the wagon eating lots of high calorie junk food day after day after day.

"Jane's" problem to begin with was that she was 'over-dieting'. In order for her to lose any fat, it had to be supplied with a certain amount of calories in order to have the energy available to burn that fat.

It takes work for the body to get rid of fat and build muscle tissues. Trying to do this in a deprived state will only lead to disaster. Feeling of failure will build up day by day as progress isn't made, and when you are seduced by the enormous cravings you will indefinitely have, feelings of discouragement will be overwhelming.

So the way I see it, depriving our bodies of adequate calories and/or the right nutrtion can have very detrimental effects on our fat loss and fitness goals. It ends up being two steps forward, three or four steps back. Not good.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 AM   #856

Why sufficient protein?

If EACH of your meals is balanced with sufficient protein (30% minimum per meal should include protein), mod fat and the right amount of carbs and fiber, we can expect to feel more satiated not only at that meal, but for a longer period of time. We're giving our body what it needs for that chunk of time to be happy'satiated and respond positively to the fuel. An imbalance of macronutrients will result in a negative reaction by our metabolism, causing all sorts of negative repsonses, which are addressed in this article below, another article I've saved, dealing with why protein is essential.

I've noticed that most every day (if not every day) in the last couple of weeks, your protein intake has fallen below 30% of your caloric intake. NOT GOOD. And this is even more detrimental given the fact that you are weight training, trying to build muscle. What builds muscle? PROTEIN.

Quote:
Eating protein and some healthy fat at each meal is important for a variety of reasons. One very simple reason is that it keeps us full for a longer period of time. No one likes to be hungry all the time, and incorporating this habit of making your meals more well-rounded is a sure way to stave off hunger pains. There is however, a scientific reason for this.

It takes our bodies longer to digest proteins and fats than it does to digest carbohydrates. Not only that, but eating protein and fat helps prevent rapid swings in blood glucose and subsequent swings in energy level.

When you eat meals that consist only or mostly of carbohydrates it spikes you blood sugar and insulin levels, consequentially leading to a sudden "drop" most often leaving you feeling mentally exhausted, physically tired, and hungry. Regardless of whether your goals are increasing lean body mass, or losing fat, increased satiety and metabolism can only help you in your goal.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #857

The last three things I want to mention are:

Drinking, fiber and water consumption.

Drinking is fine if done in moderation. Some people argue that it should be avoided completely while trying to burn fat. Consuming alcohol will slow down our body's abilty to burn fat. But if done in moderation, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Limiting it to one or two days a week is best.

Fiber. This is another "gold nugget" lesson I've learned over time. If we can make sure that we get no less than 20 gr of fiber per day, we are going to stay more satiated over the long haul, have less hunger swings, not to mention the benefits of regularity. So I try to incorporate this as much as possible. It's diff to do on a VLC diet, however. But trying to break it down to X grams of fiber per meal is the way to go. Fiber is very important in controlling our balance.

Water consumption. You're just simply not drinking enuf water. You have to get yourself into the habit of drinking it more often. I bought one of those Brita water bottles, see-thru, green, has a pop-top, cap unscrews, wide mouth for easy cleaning. I try to fill that up once in the morning, once in the afternoon, while at work. And then I drink 2-3 more throughout the rest of the day. Really helps. We all know how important water is in weight control.

These are some of the things that have jumped out at me while reading your last two weeks of history. You may have already thought of these things. But I see some of the same patterns in your "derailing" that I used to see in my own mistakes of the past, and I just wanted to point some of these things out to you, hoping that they might make a difference in your progress.

Give me your thoughts/feedback.

Okay. Gotta go pee. ()

I'll check back later to see whatcha think. Have a great day today, girl.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 01-16-2010 at 07:40 AM..
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #858
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Okay. Let's talk.

Addressing the effects of binging first.

First, depending on how bad your binge was, how long it lasted, and what TYPES of food you ate, regaining control and getting your body back on the right track and onward with fat burning may take a little longer.

If what you ate was high in salt and carbs, you will retain water obviously. If the binge lasts more than a day, consider that it's going to take longer to release the toxins.
I binged on chips and dip, crackers too I think. Kinda just mowed through the kitchen.

Quote:
So to counter the effects, focus on eating normally the next day (not cutting back on cals thinking you're doing your body a favor here) , paying particular attention to higher protein foods. Foods higher in protein will help you to rid your body of the excess water (this is how high protein foods are metabolized by our bodies, thus causing us to release the water -- and that's why high protein diets, esp from the beginning, typically show a huge loss on the scale -- it's water). So yes, eat higher protein, lower carbs (not zero carbs), and moderate fat.
I totally did not know that about protein. I always assumed it was eating fewer carbs that started out the loss. Interesting.

Quote:
Be sure to drink lots of water , as much as possible, to help flush the salt out of your system. Stay away from processed foods and/or any foods with a higher salt content. You may feel like you want to puke from drinking a lot of water, but too bad. Drink it anyway.
I drank about 50 oz yesterday. I was working in my hubbins office all day (redecorating and cleaning) and I just was swigging away on my bottle. 50 oz is a lot for me. I'll concentrate on more today.

Quote:
Try to do some light exercise on the day or and/or the day following a binge (or an hour or two following). The synergistic effect of overfeeding AND activity on our metabolism will result in some damage control -- both serve to raise the metabolism. Doesn't have to be strenuous or high intensity. SS cardio will suffice, 30 to 60 mins.
What is SS cardio?

The binge was last weekend, and I did go to the gym the Monday following. This is good info for me although I do not want any more binges!

Quote:
Stay off the damn scale.
I will wait until Friday.

Quote:
I'll address each of your issues separately. Hope this helps you with putting this in perspective.
This is such good info for me Twyla. I am putting these posts from you in my stickies files to refer to every day and especially when I'm feeling vulnerable.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #859
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Why do we binge?

Binges are sometimes triggered by an emotional response to crap in our lives that leaves us feeling out of control, and we seek comfort in food. I have been a victim of this "trigger" more times than I care to mention. Avoiding the propensity to react or to give in to this trigger is key. What things can we do to avoid a binge to begin with?

Incorporate things that will help to improve our mood levels, decrease our stress levels. Extra Vit D, check. Sun, check. Exercise, CHECK. Even 10 or 15 mins of light cardio can make a big diff in our response to an emotional trigger. (Just to mention a few)
Sun and vit D? So interesting! I have just started taking D and haven't been too good about it. I also have a tanning bed (doctor's advice for SAD) and need to reincorporate that as well. Awesome to know this!

Quote:
Other reasons for our propensity to binge have to do with our diets. If we are eating either not enough, or the wrong choices of fuel, improper balance, over time that is gonna set us up for binge. This is the HARDEST lesson I have learned personally, and one that I'm most grateful to have finally grasped the significance of in trying to gain control of weight management.
This one will be tough. I need to find my balance in all of this. Find out what the imbalance is for me that triggers. Besides simply my state of mind.

Quote:
So the way I see it, depriving our bodies of adequate calories and/or the right nutrition can have very detrimental effects on our fat loss and fitness goals. It ends up being two steps forward, three or four steps back. Not good.
Nutrition really is key isn't it.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #860
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Twyla! I learned several things from your posts. I am taking a deep breath.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #861
Major LCF Poster!

Saturday

Mangia
A busy day today so I didn't have time to dwell or fret about anything. Ate out twice, yet made good choices.

Esercizio
No exercise today, but was active moving furniture, walking around huge warehouses shopping, and running up and down stairs.

Macros
cal - 1179
fat - 61 percent
carb - 7 percent
protein - 32 percent
water - about 50 oz

89.8g - protein {better}
21.3g - carbs
2.3g - fiber
Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #862

Hi, Daisy.

Glad you were able to benefit from some of the info I shared with you. I hope it helps to motivate you, if nothing else.

Two more things came to mind yesterday after I posted those things in your journal, and I want to bring them up before I forget them.

When we drink alcohol, always remember to eat a little protein with the alcohol. It will help keep our blood sugar from spiking as much -- as it is inclined to do when we drink alcohol (the hungries?).

Secondly, to shed more light on your average calories. Your daily average calories, based on your current stats, leaves you with a huge deficit MOST DAYS (not even factoring in your activity level that enhances the deficit). What does a prolonged HUGE deficit do to our metabolism? It's our bodies defense mechanism. The metabolism will fight you, Daisy. It will eventually slow down. Inevitable. Fact. When it slows, it makes it harder and harder to lose weight.

Having and maintaining a deficit is a good thing when trying to burn fat. You gotta have a deficit. But too big of a deficit for too long, will act AGAINST the fight on fat, not for it.

Just trying to be helpful, not bossy or dogmatic. I just wanna help you, girl. Hope you realize that.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #863
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Glad you were able to benefit from some of the info I shared with you. I hope it helps to motivate you, if nothing else.

Two more things came to mind yesterday after I posted those things in your journal, and I want to bring them up before I forget them.

When we drink alcohol, always remember to eat a little protein with the alcohol. It will help keep our blood sugar from spiking as much -- as it is inclined to do when we drink alcohol (the hungries?).

Secondly, to shed more light on your average calories. Your daily average calories, based on your current stats, leaves you with a huge deficit MOST DAYS (not even factoring in your activity level that enhances the deficit). What does a prolonged HUGE deficit do to our metabolism? It's our bodies defense mechanism. The metabolism will fight you, Daisy. It will eventually slow down. Inevitable. Fact. When it slows, it makes it harder and harder to lose weight.

Having and maintaining a deficit is a good thing when trying to burn fat. You gotta have a deficit. But too big of a deficit for too long, will act AGAINST the fight on fat, not for it.

Just trying to be helpful, not bossy or dogmatic. I just wanna help you, girl. Hope you realize that.
Oh I totally know! You are always very giving of your knowledge. I am appreciative.

Twyla - what do you think about intermittent fasting? It is gathering support with the paleo community.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #864
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday

Mangia
Another weird day for me. My breakfast eggs were ick. I love eggs. Felt like pregnancy ick if memory serves. Not feasible for certain, but must be something hormonal. Just not very hungry.

Worked on a big project all afternoon for hubbins and watched parts of the Vikings game (we are awesome!!). He ran out for chicken and that tasted very good (naked tenders). Mmmm!

Esercizio
Nothing

Macros
cal - 1043
fat - 59 percent
carb - 17 percent
protein - 23 percent
water - about 30 oz ~ slipped on this, thought I was drinking way more than I actually was. Where did the day go??

49.3g - protein
49.3g - carbs
5.4g - fiber
Old 01-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #865

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post
Oh I totally know! You are always very giving of your knowledge. I am appreciative.

Twyla - what do you think about intermittent fasting? It is gathering support with the paleo community.
Not much.

I understand the theory, and the theory has some merit. But I lean towards keeping the body in a balanced/fed state. I had to learn this lesson the hard way and over a long period of time. When I eat small, balanced meals regularly, spaced throughout the day, I stay more satiated, alert, energetic, and I'm far less likely to give in to bad choices and/or binges.

JMO.

I think it depends on an individual's personal fitness goals, on their body's metabolism, etc. It may work for a lot of people. I'm not one of them.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 01-18-2010 at 08:00 AM..
Old 01-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #866
Major LCF Poster!

Monday

Mangia
Bought some Jay Robb Whey Protein and had a shake after I worked out. I made it with two scoops of whey, a splash of almond sugar-free syrup, coconut milk, water, and ice cubes. Oh it was delicious! Way better than the stuff I had bought from GNC.

Esercizio
25 minutes elliptical
stretches and crunches
lunges with weights
30 minutes on weight machines

Macros
cal - 1,220
fat - 50 percent
carb - 18 percent
protein - 32 percent
water - about 35 oz ~ oh this is so hard!
94.2g - protein
58g - carbs
8.5g - fiber
Old 01-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #867

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post
Monday

Mangia
Bought some Jay Robb Whey Protein and had a shake after I worked out. I made it with two scoops of whey, a splash of almond sugar-free syrup, coconut milk, water, and ice cubes. Oh it was delicious! Way better than the stuff I had bought from GNC.

Esercizio
25 minutes elliptical
stretches and crunches
lunges with weights
30 minutes on weight machines

Macros
cal - 1,220
fat - 50 percent
carb - 18 percent
protein - 32 percent
water - about 35 oz ~ oh this is so hard!
94.2g - protein
58g - carbs
8.5g - fiber

Looking much better! Good girl! Your body is gonna thank you for this. Trust me.

Oh, and by the way, read this just yesterday afternoon and thought of you:

“A landmark study at Georgia State University found
that people who took in a lot fewer calories than they burned
were actually fatter than people whose calories were more “balanced.”
In fact, the study found that the most weight loss occurred
when the difference between calories consumed and calories burned
was in the narrow range, between 300 and 500 calories.”

Old 01-19-2010, 03:38 AM   #868
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Daisy,
There is plenty of research to support IF. Check out this. Hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #869
Major LCF Poster!

IFing coupled with Primal appeals to me.

For this week I'm concentrating on getting the protein up there and making consistent good choices. Oh and that damn water.

It can get confusing. My acupuncturist, after pointing at my water bottle, told me to NOT drink water all during the day. That we do not need 100 oz of water.

You really have to find what works for you as an individual don't you? A plan girl! I need to stick to a plan.

Last edited by DaisyGG; 01-19-2010 at 05:00 AM..
Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 AM   #870
Major LCF Poster!

That video was hilarious Vanessa.

Again - a plan. Stick with a plan. <note to self>

Last edited by DaisyGG; 01-19-2010 at 05:03 AM..