Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #481
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
I've wondered that myself Twyla. I can do upper body weights as I started last week, I've been upping my time on the Nordic Track, which my knee seems to respond to very nicely, and do the ab portion of my Jackie Warner.

Maybe that isn't enough?

Should I try the cycling rather than a refeed? Hmm . . .

I wonder if I should stick the course for now, push out any change for another week, see where my scale lands on Wedneday, and start moving more during the day in general.

My scale this morning is up three pounds. I feel pretty squishy in the fingers. We stopped at Culvers last night for dinner in between our errands. I had a double cheeseburger w/no bun and a side salad with ranch. I threw off all the croutons. I bet it was laden with sodium.

I'm going to spend a few minutes reading about carb cycling and see what I should do.

Twyla - thank you for your patience and help.

Last edited by DaisyGG; 01-17-2009 at 05:57 AM..
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Since I ripped my meniscus I've been very gun shy regarding walking. I stick pretty close to my desk most days. I work downtown! We have lovely skyways to get me anywhere I want to go. I should man-up and start small walking about a little bit. I've stopped running errands during the day since this happened. There's a Target near my work. I used to run over there a lot.

Just because everyone else is bustling around doesn't mean I can't walk my slower pace yes? I worry too much.

I'll see how I feel about my WOE after doing more reading.

It's a plan Stan.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #483
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Daisy,

I don't know why, but I'm thinking that you might be better off experimenting with carb cycling for 2-3 weeks, see how you do, if you like the results, maybe longer; if not, go for more low carb days with a high day thrown in a couple times a week, or proceed with a refeed every two weeks.

But for some reason, I'm thinking in your case, I'd stick with carb cycling for a few weeks.

You could alternate it with low, med, high ratios, based on your calorie requirements, but not going too low on calories, or for too many days at a deficit with calories:

LOW - 32%P, 11%C, 58%F
MED - 30P, 20C, 51F
HIGH - 30P, 35C, 25F

Throw in a higher calorie day, say at maintenance or a bit higher, but low in fat on the high carb day, once or twice a week.

Thoughts?
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #484
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post
Should I try the cycling rather than a refeed?
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #485
Major LCF Poster!

It sounds so complicated though! I searched about yesterday for the plan in a nutshell, but couldn't come up with anything concrete.

The fat looks low for the low carb day. Is that typical?

Where can I get the low down? ;P
Old 01-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #486

The fat does not HAVE to be low on low carb days. In fact, most people stick to cycling easier if it's not so low on the low carb days.

Rule to remember to keep it simple: As fat goes up, carbs must go down. As carbs go up, fat must come down.

So if it's a high carb day, say 4 x the grams you're used to having, the fat should be proportionately lower.

I cannot successfully stick to a carb cycling plan with fat lower than 30% on my medium carb days. The higher the carbs (and fiber), the easier it is for me to stay satisfied with lower fat. Does that make sense?

There are so many ways to carb cycle. I'll send ya some links/info today.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #487
HB = Healthy & Balanced

HighCarb + LowFat

or

LowCarb + HighFat

never both High & never both Low
Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #488

Daisy, here's how Tom Venuto explainis carb cycling. (Keep in mind, he is not a proponent of the Atkins style of eating, i.e., low carb, high fat, and so his suggested fat ratios reflect his theories.)

Quote:
[COLOR="Sienna"]Carbohydrate “Cycling” – The Most Effective Fat Burning Technique EVER![/COLOR]

[COLOR="Sienna"]A low to moderate carbohydrate and high protein diet will cause much faster fat loss than a high carbohydrate diet. However, it may seem like the disadvantages outweigh the benefits. Fortunately, there’s a solution to these problems and it’s called “carbohydrate cycling.” Some people refer to carbohydrate cycling as “zig-zag” dieting, “Hi-low” dieting, “carbing-up” or carbohydrate “re-feeding.”
Regardless of what you name it, carbohydrate cycling is probably the most powerful fat burning strategy on the planet. Nothing else even comes close. It is the ONLY guaranteed way to outwit the body’s starvation response when calories and carbohydrates are low. Not only do you avoid a negative response, but you also invoke many positive responses that do not occur when holding your carbohydrates and calories at the same low level day in and day out. That’s the main problem with conventional low carbohydrate diets – they suggest that you drop your carbohydrates and keep them low.

What I am suggesting is that you drop your carbohydrates for a few days, then increase them again before your body figures out what the heck is going on!
Carbohydrate cycling has been a well-kept secret of bodybuilders and fitness models for decades, but anyone can use it to accelerate fat loss or break a plateau. The beauty of this method is that it allows you to get all the fat loss benefits of low carbohydrate dieting without the low carbohydrate side effects. Most important, it keeps your metabolism elevated and prevents you from going into starvation mode.

Why you shouldn’t stay on low carbohydrates for more than three days in a row

After three days in a row on low carbohydrates, your glycogen levels will be almost completely depleted. If you were to continue on low carbohydrates for a fourth day, fifth day, or beyond, you would notice your energy and training intensity begin to diminish. You would also notice that your muscles would “flatten out” and become softer. Your metabolic rate would begin to slow down and your thyroid gland would decrease its output of thyroid hormone. Basically, your diet would become less and less effective the longer you stayed on low carbohydrates beyond the three day period. Your body is so “smart,” it simply makes changes in physiology and metabolism to compensate for the prolonged lack of carbohydrates (which it interprets as starvation). That’s why you have to “shake things up” and keep your body off guard by throwing in a high carbohydrate day every fourth day.

High days and Low Days

Carbohydrate cycling is based on the concept of rotating low carbohydrate days with high carbohydrate days instead of keeping carbohydrates low all the time. Every fourth day your glycogen levels are restored with a “carb load” or “high carb day” (also known as “high day”). Your energy stays up, your muscles fill out and tighten and your metabolic rate gets a boost as if you squirted lighter fluid on a dwindling fire.

The high day also makes your entire diet easier to stick with because no matter how difficult it is to get through those three low days, you have a “high day” to look forward to (Believe me, eating all those yummy carbs after three days without them is like getting a “high!”). The “high day” also bypasses all the side effects. You get noticeably leaner with every three-day low carbohydrate cycle as your body dips deeply into stored body fat without the carbohydrates readily available for fuel. Surprisingly, you may even continue to get leaner even on the high carbohydrate days because of the boost in metabolic rate.

Carbohydrate cycling also prevents your body from becoming inefficient at using carbohydrates for energy. When you cut your carbohydrates out for a long time, your body begins depending on fat for fuel and it learns how to use fat for fuel more efficiently. You often hear low carbohydrate diet proponents say that the low carbohydrate diet turns you into a “fat burner” while a high carbohydrate dieter turns you into a “sugar burner.” This may be true, but there’s a huge downside to staying on low carbohydrates all the time and becoming an exclusive “fat burner:” Your body becomes lazy and inefficient at burning carbohydrates. When you eat them again after a long absence, your body doesn’t know what to do with them. This is one of the reasons you
will simply blow up overnight and gain weight back the minute you re-introduce carbohydrates after a long absence. Unless you plan on never eating a carbohydrate ever again, you’d better think twice about long-term carbohydrate restriction. Low carbohydrate diets are NOT “lifestyle” programs.

What’s the alternative? Carbohydrate load every fourth day. When you carbohydrate load a depleted muscle, the carbohydrates are quickly soaked up by the muscle on that fourth day because the muscles are “hungry” for carbohydrates. By repeated cycles of depletion and re-loading, your muscles become extremely efficient at storing carbohydrates as muscle glycogen rather than partitioning them to body fat.

Fine tuning the carbohydrate cycling method
As you get leaner and leaner, you may find that you lose weight too quickly on the 3:1 carbohydrate cycling plan (no kidding!) As you learned in earlier chapters, it’s not a wise idea to lose more than 1.5 to 2.0 lbs of body weight per week. If you lose more than two pounds per week, you are much more likely to be losing LBM with the fat.

If you lose lean mass or drop weight too quickly, you should adjust your high to
low day ratio by increasing your carbohydrates (and calories) overall or by keeping your low days the same and adding more high days. You can do three low carbohydrate days followed by two or three high carbohydrate days. Taking two or three high days after three low days will not only help reduce muscle loss, it may allow you to gain small amounts of muscle as you lose body fat. It’s not uncommon for my clients to lose 18-24 pounds of fat in three months, while gaining three to four pounds of muscle in the same period while using the is technique.

It’s very difficult to put down one single example of 3:1 carbohydrate cycling as I’ve described it here and have it apply to everyone. A little bit of experimentation and fine tuning will be necessary to discover what amount of carbohydrate works best for your high and low days. It’s absolutely essential for these types of advanced diets to be customized.

On average, women would consume about 90-130 grams of carbohydrates on low days and about 200 to 250 grams of carbohydrates on high days. Men would consume 150-200 grams of carbohydrates on low days and 300-400 grams of carbohydrates on high days. Here are examples of what “typical” high-low cycles would look like on a fatloss program for the average person:
[/COLOR]
Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #489
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Great info Twyla! I'm going to copy & paste into MY Journal, too!

btw, my Hubby agrees with this & JUST told me this the other day!

Quote:
Why you shouldn’t stay on low carbohydrates for more than three days in a row

After three days in a row on low carbohydrates, your glycogen levels will be almost completely depleted. If you were to continue on low carbohydrates for a fourth day, fifth day, or beyond, you would notice your energy and training intensity begin to diminish. You would also notice that your muscles would “flatten out” and become softer. Your metabolic rate would begin to slow down and your thyroid gland would decrease its output of thyroid hormone. Basically, your diet would become less and less effective the longer you stayed on low carbohydrates beyond the three day period. Your body is so “smart,” it simply makes changes in physiology and metabolism to compensate for the prolonged lack of carbohydrates (which it interprets as starvation). That’s why you have to “shake things up” and keep your body off guard by throwing in a high carbohydrate day every fourth day.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #490
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
The fat does not HAVE to be low on low carb days. In fact, most people stick to cycling easier if it's not so low on the low carb days.
That's what I meant I think - I've been keeping my fat pretty high, about 70 percent for the most part. I totally agree with the high fat, low carb thinking. I was verifying!

You guys are so great!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Daisy, here's how Tom Venuto explainis carb cycling. (Keep in mind, he is not a proponent of the Atkins style of eating, i.e., low carb, high fat, and so his suggested fat ratios reflect his theories.)
Oh this is awesome - I am placing this in a word doc to study.

Awesome!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #492
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: speedymagee
Stats: highest176/now150/145ish
WOE: CAD
Hi Daisy,

Hope your week-end is going well.

Interesting stuff on carb cycling.

I just wanted to let you know I started a new journal for 2009.
sandy

http://http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/598971-fall-down-7-times-get-up-8-a.html
speedymagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #493
Major LCF Poster!

Speedy! I will totally check out your new journal.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #494
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="Purple"]Day 21[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]I don't know what day it is anymore! Our internet was very spotty over the weekend. Up sometimes and mostly down.

We blew a water pipe at the kid's house Sunday. Poured water onto the furnace which in turn blew out the mother board. Yikes. Inches of water down there. Poor tenant that lives in the mother-in-law rental! We got all the water cleaned up. Luckily, most of it was in the utility area; just a bit went into his portion. There was some water in his kitchen and some just starting in the living room.

So they had no heat there all night! I ran to Target and bought a mattress heater for Corry (tenant). The kids got one from us last Christmas so they’re all set. Pupcake said the house was 48 degrees this morning when he met the plumber and furnace guy there.

All kinds of drama!

Cal - 1,828
Fat - 120.1
Fiber - 18.7
Carbs - 68.1
Protein - 125.5
Exercise - I worked out hard on Saturday. 20 minutes ab work then 10 full minutes on the Nordic Track. Plus my stretching.

I feel very chubby today. I have on a pair of dress/work pants and they are so tight! I didn’t weigh myself. Wednesday is weigh-in day. What is going on with me? Look at the carbs I ate yesterday! I had no real idea it would add up like that. I might have the wrong counts in there for the low-carb pasta I had with my red sauce. Blerg.

I am getting frustrated. I feel like I’m flitting around trying to land on a good plan for me. Should I download the book, “Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle”? Am I being too impatient?[/COLOR]

****** Free Calorie Counter and Diet Journal: Public Journal
Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #495
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
My $0.02 --- you are getting a lot of advice that goes against what I am gonna say --- Daisy stick to low carb. Once you drop the weight that you want to, then play with carb cycling. I am struggling with the right words to say here and have wanted to interject over the weekend but didn't. I will come back later when I know exactly what I want to say. Hang in there!
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #496
HB = Healthy & Balanced

My (unsolicited) Two Cents:

Quote:
I am getting frustrated. I feel like I’m flitting around trying to land on a good plan for me.
Should I download the book, “Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle”? Am I being too impatient?
Dearest Daisy,

Yes, I think you're being too impatient.
Yes, I think you need to land on a good plan

BUT it's been less than 3 weeks since you joined our YES WE CAN Challenge!
(and committed to doing your WOE plan for at least one month before switching)
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...an-2009-a.html

[COLOR="Red"]You've lost approx 6 lbs total; 2 lbs per week.
WHAT is wrong with that ??
1 to 2 lbs per week is safe, sustainable weight loss & you're averaging 2 lbs per week.
(although fyi & more later, that may slow down a bit, tho it's NOT cause for alarm!)
I fail to see a problem here ?? [/COLOR]

Questions to ask yourself:

WHY are you trying to "fix" something that ain't broke?
WHAT rate of weight loss would make you happy?
HOW long did it take to gain those lbs?
DO YOU want to lose this weight (only once) and keep it off?
DO YOU think that switching gears right now is truly beneficial?

With that said, there's nothing wrong with checking out Other Plans
and becoming knowledgeable about what you might want to do NEXT.
Research Research Research ~ there is LOTS of good knowledge out there!
Research & decide what works BEST FOR YOU (to stick to and lose).

But while you're gathering knowledge, I agree with Vanessa:
I think you should definitely stay the course of Low Carb.

I did Low Carb for 2 full months before attempting a Refeed.
(which I botched with too high of fat %)
I did another Refeed a couple months later.
(which I also botched cause my workout wasn't intense enuf + fat % was still a little high)
Last Refeed 2 weeks later; got the fat right; still don't think Refeed Day workout was intense enuf.

Along the way...I realized a couple of important things...
(and documented my thoughts in my Journal)
For one, I was trying to emulate Twyla; and I'm just not Twyla.
I don't workout the way Twyla does; and frankly, probably never will. It's just NOT ME.
I'm doing good to get 2 HIIT cardio; 2 SS cardio; 2 UB weights; 5 ab sessions in per week.
I still can't seem to manage to do Callanetics on a regular basis (even tho I clearly see the benefits).
So I cannot eat the way Twyla does, either. Because it really does ALL come down to Nutrition.

Your weight loss will come from what you place in your mouth (or don't place) and the # of Calories.
I'm learning that the actual "macronutrients" are a bit overrated :
Best Macronutrient Breakdown For Fat Loss

BUT High Fat makes it easier to stay Low Carb + makes it easier to consume less Calories.
(btinc once told me THAT is the true "magic of low carb")
And I strongly believe that (tho that is practically considered blasphemy here at LCF)

Daisy, this is Tough Love, but you're not Twyla either & what works for her isn't gonna work for you either.
esp with your hurt knee. you can't work-out at that intensity level until that is repaired. just too painful.
so your best bet is LowCarb/HighFat/Moderate Protein + look for ways to get Fiber & watch your Calories.
I think you/me are a LOT alike!

I will say that I think you may be keeping your Carbs a bit too low (for YOU).
I am watching your Fit Day and I just don't think 25-35 is sustainable for you.
You frequently go over that amount of Carbs and then kick yourself for it.
Why set unrealistic expectations for yourself and then beat yourself up over it?
Yep, we're a LOT alike!

I've also learned (here at LCF):
The most important component of weightloss is to find a WOE that suits YOU and YOUR Lifestyle.
We must ALL find something that we can stick with, day in and day out, for the long-term because:
Consistency is Key.

So I will say that I don't fully understand: WHAT is your WOE Plan?
WHY did you settle on 25-25 Carbs per day?
WHAT is your short-term/long-term Plan?

Perhaps the source of your frustration is that you're not following a Plan, per se.
It's not Atkins or CADL or SBD or PP or EFGT or EPF ~ is it just your own "take" on LC ??
Of course, that's fine; but since you don't seem "satisfied"; maybe you do need a Real Plan to follow?

Some things to consider:

btinc also told me that 20-30 carbs are too low for most women; that hormonally they do better higher.
Have you considered reading Barry Groves: Natural Health & Weight Loss?
(I have the book if you'd like to borrow it; in fact, I have lots of books you're welcome to borrow!)
I call him 21st Century Atkins. He recommends 40-60 carbs...for Life. From Start to Finish.
He says that at that level, your weight will naturally stabilize exactly where it's supposed to be.
Will it happen overnight?
Nope, of course not.
But it WILL happen.

I ultimately chose CTFLC because it really synthesizes & validates almost everything I've learned (and choose to believe) from Btinc, Twyla, Fawn, LisaB, Julia, Sugarless4Life, and at LCF, in general. The draw of carb-cycling (for me) is that me/DH eat Real Pizza every Friday night. That's why I tried Keto w/ Refeed. Fridays were supposed to be my Refeed Day. I tried ALL of the LC Pizza substitutions. But they are just not for me, And I want to drink wine a couple times per week.

So after much soul-searching + Reading & Reflecting (and lurking on the CTFLC threads for a few months!)
I'm giving it a (fair) shot! I figure 8 weeks is a very reasonable time investment, for me.
If I like it (& have success); I'll stay with it. But if not . . . I'll be Researching again!

But, I think I've finally realized that it does NOT have to be complex/complicates.
Nope.
'The most important thing is to simply choose a WOE weight loss plan and stick with it.
There are so many decent plans out there; almost all of them will "do the job" re: weight loss.
But we MUST find one that suits us enough to stick with it NOW and for Life!

Daisy, please tell me (or maybe post in your Journal) the data this tool gave you?
(with/without exercise at both 30 carbs per day and at 50 carbs per day ~ thanks! )

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...r-tweaked.html

Stay focused on your goal of sticking to the program and let the weight (loss) take care of itself.
~ Rachael Heller

XO,
HB

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches

Last edited by hummingbird11; 01-20-2009 at 02:52 PM..
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #497

Daisy,

I echo much (if not all) of what HB and Vanessa have mentioned.

I think there are people who do better on strict LC -- or more middle of the road Atkins, and there are those who can't sustain and stick to a LC WOE and need more variety. I agree that you have to find the best WOE that you can live with, be happy and satisifed with, and that affords you a means of burning fat and promotes weight loss for you.

I did NOT mean to imply from the carb-cycling article and other notations I've shared with you that CC'g is "the way to go" for you. I want to make that clear. I offered that info because you inquired. I wasn't suggesting it was the way you should or shouldn't go.

I actually think you'll be happier at sticking to LC, but not going too low; zig-zagging your calories; tracking your food religiously; trying to get in 3 days of cardio and some strength training during the week; and maybe allowing yourself one high carb meal once or twice a month, something planned, to look forward to -- BUT ONLY IF YOU CAN HANDLE CLIMBING BACK ON THE WAGON. If not, stick to LC and simply climb the carb ladder in time.

Please be patient and focus on positives as you proceed through your journey.

Don't try to be like someone else. Be the best YOU can be. You are a unique person with unique needs, unique likes/dislikes. Follow your heart.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #498
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Hey T! No worries; I knew this:

Quote:
I did NOT mean to imply from the carb-cycling article and other notations I've shared with you that CC'g is "the way to go" for you. I want to make that clear. I offered that info because you inquired. I wasn't suggesting it was the way you should or shouldn't go.
BUT many of us DO want to emulate YOU, for obvious reasons!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

What HB said Twyla.

You two women, three actually - Vanessa is emulatable! - are truly great friends and good for me to listen to.

I am being too impatient. This is a great bootay kicking.

I'm going to go into my bookcase and pull out my Atkins book. I feel that's the WOE I gravitate toward.

I'm making an adjustment today then; and I am printing off these last few posts from HB and Twyla for me to absorb.

How about this you guys - for starters today.

Atkins WOE
40-50 carbs net

Here's what the link said I should do:

[COLOR="Blue"]TO LOSE WEIGHT:

To lose a pound a week safely decrease your daily intake to 1,593 calories.

You have decided to eat 45 grams of carbohydrate a day. To avoid loss of lean muscle mass you must eat 136 grams of high quality protein each day. This can be found in 22.6 ounces of meat, eggs, or hard cheese.

Round out your diet with 97 grams of fat.[/COLOR]

This sounds pretty good to me. I entered light exercise since that is all I can handle right now. I have been doing about 4 days of stretching, upper body weights, and cardio. The cardio is only up to 10 minutes. I will plan on upping that to 15 this week. The Nordic Track engages upper body and lower body and my heat rate gets up there pretty fast.

I meet with a new ortho guy tomorrow afternoon. I am planning on being vigorous with my questions and push for a solution.

It's true I do emulate all three of you guys. You are all fit and working a plan. If I am brutally honest right now, I want this too, but my head hasn't entirely wrapped around I need to do the work. And I keep muddying up the process with my flitting around, playing with ideas, yet not sticking long enough to see real results.

Ever heard of KISS? Keep It Simple Stupid. I need to wear this t-shirt.

<smooches> Wow - thanks guys. I value the time you take with me.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:41 AM   #500
Major LCF Poster!

If you naturally gravitate toward eating LC then that is probably the best plan for you!

Why not save the calorie counting for later in your journey? Ya know, when you get close to goal.

Just practice some good LC habits......
eat when you are hungry,
when you eat.....eat fat & protein,
stop when you are fully satisfied

That right there should take you a long way! Why get into the minutia when you don't need to.

To me, that is KISS!
I eat right, I exercise, I look good, I feel good, I weigh exactly what God wants me to weigh.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #501
Major LCF Poster!

This is Gary Taubes responding to a question from Michael Eades

[COLOR="Blue"]As for exercise, I do not believe that it causes long-term fat loss. I think it might be helpful in a weight loss program only because it gives you a kind of positive feedback that dieting per se does not. You can feel good after a work-out, while it’s hard to feel too good after a meal that didn’t include either the calories or the carbohydrates you preferred. On the other hand, since it does make you hungry — work up an appetite — I worry whether for some or even most people the psychological benefits could be counterbalanced by the drive to consume even more calories than you might have expended during the work-out.[/COLOR]

I thought it had been said that Gary Taubes did NOT truly think working out had no benefit. This sounds like he sees it as a negative.

I do believe that the feeling good afterward benefit to working out would outweigh the hunger that the exercise might cause.

I know that personally, when I was working out at a regular and fairly intense level, I always felt good after the workout and was definitely in shape from a cardio standpoint and toned from the resistance portion of the workout.

Very interesting . . . I'm going to keep reading . . .
Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #502
Major LCF Poster!

Here is an Eades' response to a poster's dismay at GT's exercise opinion.

[COLOR="Blue"]You’re misunderstanding what Gary says. He doesn’t say that there is no benefit to exercise. In fact, he makes the case that there is substantial benefit to exercise. What he says is that exercise has never been shown to be of benefit for weight loss. Not health. Weight loss. The data just doesn’t show it. Exercise has a multitude of other benefits however.[/COLOR]
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #503
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa120 View Post

If you naturally gravitate toward eating LC then that is probably the best plan for you!

Why not save the calorie counting for later in your journey? Ya know, when you get close to goal.

Just practice some good LC habits......
eat when you are hungry,
when you eat.....eat fat & protein,
stop when you are fully satisfied

That right there should take you a long way! Why get into the minutia when you don't need to.

To me, that is KISS!
Exactly! It is my natural way to obsess a bit. Let it go yes?

Good advice going on in your journal too Vanessa. You are good to share so much with us.

<smooches>
Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #504
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="Purple"]Day 23[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]I haven't posted my dailies for a few. I am in the middle of re-reading Atkins (the newer Diet Revolution). Reading some online stuff from Dr. Michael Eades on Vanessa's recommendation. Sticking to a simple plan for now of low carb (35-45), watch the calories so they're not crazy, high fat. Stick with it with no qualifiers and/or excuses for at least a month and then re-asses to see where I am

Cal - 1,332
Fat - 106.5
Fiber - 11.8
Carbs - 38.1
Protein - 65.3
Exercise - Stretching and Nordic Track

Percentages
Fat (70%)
Carbs (11%)
Protein (19%)[/COLOR]

****** Free Calorie Counter and Diet Journal: Public Journal
Old 01-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #505
Major LCF Poster!

I'm going in this afternoon to meet with the new ortho doc. I took today off.

Work is going horribly. My company has been in trouble for some time and it's getting worse. We are having to take pay cuts and they are reassessing if additional layoffs are needed. We laid off a good amount of people a year ago.

I need to practice not fretting and obsessing about this. If I look at it practically, I would be a good choice to lay off. I am in print production - we haven't done any serious printing for a time. It would logically make sense to let me go.

I choose to look at that possibility for reinvention. If it doesn't happen, then I need to work with my manager to expand my role to move towards what we, as a company, are going to be doing in marketing.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: speedymagee
Stats: highest176/now150/145ish
WOE: CAD
Hi Daisy,

Hope your job is safe. Sounds stressful.

LOVE your avi!

Hang in there. You may be a teeeny tiny bit impatient... Progress, not perfection, or something like that.
speedymagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm going in this afternoon to meet with the new ortho doc. I took today off.

Work is going horribly. My company has been in trouble for some time and it's getting worse. We are having to take pay cuts and they are reassessing if additional layoffs are needed. We laid off a good amount of people a year ago.

I need to practice not fretting and obsessing about this. If I look at it practically, I would be a good choice to lay off. I am in print production - we haven't done any serious printing for a time. It would logically make sense to let me go.

I choose to look at that possibility for reinvention. If it doesn't happen, then I need to work with my manager to expand my role to move towards what we, as a company, are going to be doing in marketing.
Another positive.....you could get layed or is it laid off and hang with my unemployed azz! Love Ya Daisy!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #508
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Dear Daisy,

It's definitely a personal decision, but as long as you're counting carbs & keeping an eye on your fat/protein/fiber ~ why not count calories for awhile, too?

For me, it's been a really great tool for me to really get a handle on just WHAT is a portion size? WHAT does that look like? Because I don't always stop when "full" and that, of course, is why I'm HERE.

Also, I am greedy. I like food. And wine. So I wanna know HOW MANY calories I can consume and still lose weight

If I'm not tracking, I will never really know.

I love to track & measure my food. No guesswork. I know when I'm within my Cal/Carb range, and when I'm not.

As someone very wise once said to me (Twyla!):
Tracking gives you a map, of where you've been, where you are now, and where you need to go.

But I wouldn't stress over it. And I hate Fit Day. I do NOT use THAT!

And for me, I feel it is especially important for me to keep an eye on the Calories while I'm unable to get on the Elliptical (knee).

I'm interested to hear how your ortho appt goes today!

Turns out that I have a bruised bone AND a torn meniscus.
Thank you JM's 30-Day Shred!

My ortho says a bruised bone can heal on it's own; but that a torn meniscus cannot. I know of at least 2 people that had the surgery. But I don't want surgery! But like you, I am sick of the pain and the limited activity level.

Please let us know how it went today!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:37 AM   #509
Major LCF Poster!

Oh HB, bruised bone and torn meniscus. Ugh!

I met with the new doc. We decided I need surgery and it is scheduled for next Thursday. Ack!

He said I should not be using any repetitive motion with my legs now (WHAAA??) because of the knee swelling I have. Total opposite of what the other doc said. No more stretches and no more Nordic Tracking. Docs make me crazy.

So, surgery next week, no ibub or aspirin from now on, no lower body stuff. He said losing weight would be the very best thing I could do for my arthritis. He glossed over my nutrition changes. Docs just don't seem to think that sugar plays a part. Fine, I'll keep with what I'm doing Mr. Doctor.

The nurse said he's good and he did her meniscus tear last year.

He also said there is only a 33 percent chance this will fix it. I cannot believe the knee won't be better with this scoping (as he called it). Why oh why are docs such pains in the arse? grrr

That's my update. I'll post stats later. Gotta get ready for work.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:40 AM   #510
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa120 View Post
Another positive.....you could get layed or is it laid off and hang with my unemployed azz! Love Ya Daisy!
That doesn't sound half-bad Miss Vanessa. We could think creatively and come up with plans-of-action. Action-girls!

I have been thinking long and hard about this and it could totally be a door opening and all that jazz.

Pupcake and I talked about this possibility last night and discussed the ways we could tighten our budget. Tough times make us tough and strong.