Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #211
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: monet0329
Stats: to much!
WOE: lower carb :D
Start Date: Feb 28 2013.. (lc) down 61.5 pounds :)
Your doing awesome girly..
monet0329 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/189/145 5'3 3/4"
It's my 7 month Atkinsversary

My efforts have been rewarded with a one pound loss A new low for this year...191

It's a gorgeous day....the sun is shining (I know, again in NE Ohio!)....I'm listening to a beautiful guitar piece that my husband recorded last night while I was asleep.

God is good!
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
It's my 7 month Atkinsversary

My efforts have been rewarded with a one pound loss A new low for this year...191

It's a gorgeous day....the sun is shining (I know, again in NE Ohio!)....I'm listening to a beautiful guitar piece that my husband recorded last night while I was asleep.

God is good!
congrats !!!

my dh plays guitar as well.. my oldest son too ..

the sun is shining here as well.. is it freezing there? I am thinking since we are so close it is.. it was 2 degrees this am.. Brrrrrrr

Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #214

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Congratulations!!!!!! How fabulous!!!!!! 191 ROCKS!!!!

big big

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Monet, for some silly reason I thought you were in Georgia. Wonder where I got that idea?

What style of guitar music do your dh and son play?

Thanks, Pauline.

I thought of something else I wanted to tell you, but because I already left a whole book in yours I decided to put it over here in the hopes that you would see it. Alex, you, and I were talking about "normal" the other day. What is normal? I remembered something from "another part of my life." I have a daughter with some special needs. When you are around parents/doctors/therapists that deal with special needs kids, the term normal is never used. Instead, they use "typical" or "average." So, in terms of my eating, weight, and this area of my life, I will no longer use the word normal and will consciously use the terms typical or average.

My dh and I went out to dinner last night for some discussion time.

Building on the planning-what-I'm-eating-thing, I researched heavily what I should order. We were going to a local Japanese restaurant that serves fabulous sushi. I love, love, love sushi. Their hibachi is also wonderful. I looked up all the carbs/nutritional data and decided that I really needed to stay LC. When I got to the restaurant, I already knew what I wanted to order so I was not really even tempted by the menu. I ordered the shrimp hibachi and counted the shrimp before I started eating so that I could enter it in ******. I'm sure I sound obsessive, but I felt so in control. Even if I decided to eat the sushi, it would have been a conscience choice based on all the information instead of just a decision on a whim and what "sounded good."

Yesterday's food:

Breakfast-Cheese, bacon, onion omelet, coffee, measured 1/2 and 1/2
Lunch-ham, pumpkin, butter, cinnamon, coffee, measured 1/2 and 1/2 X2
Dinner-Shrimp hibachi, salad, small miso soup
Snack-One-minute muffin

Fat-70%
Carbs-8%
Protein-22%
Net Carbs-31

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."-Thomas Edison
"I never failed once. It just happened to be a 2000 step process"-Thomas Edison
"It's never too late to be who you might have been"-George Eliot
Dream it, talk it, live it. -Rose Fitzgerald

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 01-25-2008 at 06:01 PM..
Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #216
Daddy's Girl

Gallery: cdn_gal
Stats: 230/152.3/145~~5'10
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Sept9/08/May12/09
Quote:

How exciting is that??
Your on a roll now chica!!
cdn_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:46 AM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
I am a binge eater, an emotional eater, and a comfort eater.

Finding a LC substitute for the food isn't the real issue anyways.
The issue is wanting to be comforted.

I am glad that I am starting to get a handle on this.
I can identify that this is a problem area that I have used food to try to fix my problem.
GardenGirl!

Since I have been finding your posts so inspirational, I was happy to find your journal.

I, too, struggle with binge eating and am working hard to have a better relationship with food.

Thank you for your words because they are very helpful to me.

Congratulations on your 7 month anniversary LCing!!!

KUTGW!

Last edited by momov2boys; 01-26-2008 at 01:48 AM..
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
What is normal?

So, in terms of my eating, weight, and this area of my life, I will no longer use the word normal and will consciously use the terms typical or average.
Great perspective!!!

"...successful weight control is not about doing what's "normal"--it's about doing what works for you. You should not be concerned about the norm--that's the preoccupation of the insecure--but about what brings you the success you deserve." ~Stephen Gullo

His words make so much sense to me.

We may not eat as "normally" as most other folks do.

But, we feel good, we're healthier, thinner, and happier when we choose to eat nutritious, LC foods!

Old 01-26-2008, 04:31 AM   #219

Quote:
Alex, you, and I were talking about "normal" the other day. What is normal? I remembered something from "another part of my life." I have a daughter with some special needs. When you are around parents/doctors/therapists that deal with special needs kids, the term normal is never used. Instead, they use "typical" or "average." So, in terms of my eating, weight, and this area of my life, I will no longer use the word normal and will consciously use the terms typical or average.
I think that is a great idea. It's funny, I never threw binge temper tantrums over "not being able to eat like a "normal" person". It is just something I observed a lot on the boards when people are whining about their fall off the wagon. And something I immediately sensed as a false justification for their behavior ... because we all know the naturally thin people do not go and eat an entire plate of lasagna, an appetizer, a dessert and the whole basket of bread ... they take the right amount for their hunger ....

That is the "normal" I have a problem with ... the natural shutoff switch that many people have. The way my brain has developed it refuses to respond to the switch if there even is one.

Refusing to use the word "normal" when comparing yourself to others is a great acknowledgement that we are taking responsibility for our actions without need for comparison. Our predicament may feel unfair, and it's ok to feel it is unfair, but it is more important to take action and take responsibility. That is what seperates us from the people who quit.

p.s. Our local Japanese restaurant makes a riceless maki done in sliced cucumber and in pickled radish (which may have a little sugar in it). There is also something called "te maki", a seawood cone, or handheld maki filled with whatever you like - and you can specify "no rice." Sashimi is also always an option ... the sushi chefs are usually really happy to customize your order, you might want to ask them sometime!

Congratulations on doing your research and having a nice enjoyable meal!! That is a great great victory!!! Pauline
Old 01-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momov2boys View Post
GardenGirl!

Since I have been finding your posts so inspirational, I was happy to find your journal.

I, too, struggle with binge eating and am working hard to have a better relationship with food.

Thank you for your words because they are very helpful to me.

Congratulations on your 7 month anniversary LCing!!!

KUTGW!
Thanks for stopping by, Rebecca. Do you have a journal? I think that this has been one of my most important tools. It's amazing to look back at where I was a year or a year and a half ago and realize how far I really have come.

I finally figured out that my weight issue is a complex problem and not just a matter of the type of food I put in my mouth, but why and how often.... Journaling has helped and it has also brought like minded people to me to help me on my journey.

Please come back! Good luck with your journey!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
I think that is a great idea. It's funny, I never threw binge temper tantrums over "not being able to eat like a "normal" person". It is just something I observed a lot on the boards when people are whining about their fall off the wagon. And something I immediately sensed as a false justification for their behavior ... because we all know the naturally thin people do not go and eat an entire plate of lasagna, an appetizer, a dessert and the whole basket of bread ... they take the right amount for their hunger ....

That is the "normal" I have a problem with ... the natural shutoff switch that many people have. The way my brain has developed it refuses to respond to the switch if there even is one.

Refusing to use the word "normal" when comparing yourself to others is a great acknowledgement that we are taking responsibility for our actions without need for comparison. Our predicament may feel unfair, and it's ok to feel it is unfair, but it is more important to take action and take responsibility. That is what seperates us from the people who quit.

p.s. Our local Japanese restaurant makes a riceless maki done in sliced cucumber and in pickled radish (which may have a little sugar in it). There is also something called "te maki", a seawood cone, or handheld maki filled with whatever you like - and you can specify "no rice." Sashimi is also always an option ... the sushi chefs are usually really happy to customize your order, you might want to ask them sometime!

Congratulations on doing your research and having a nice enjoyable meal!! That is a great great victory!!! Pauline

Pauline, I agree. I never felt bad about not being able to eat like the "average" person. When I binge, I beat myself up. I wonder how I could be so stupid, dense, weak, lazy, and pathetic. What's wrong with me that I would have to force so much food down my throat that I wanted to vomit and yet I was still not satisfied? What was wrong with me that I had no control? That's the type of "normal" I wanted to be. It didn't even matter what food I could/couldn't eat because as you know, those feelings and actions can come over a bunch of veggies and dip or brownies.

I'm re-reading the book "Passing for Thin." I'm still in the first chapter where she's describing her binges-what she ate, how it smelled, how it felt-and I realized how long it's been since I truly binged like that (seven months ) (I have had a few bingey feeling days and I did eat all the Oopsie rolls but I didn't go back and make more and more and more.) It's been a long time since the all out eating feast complete with upset distended stomach. I'm wondering if I might be "healing". I wonder if that type of binge might be back in my past or is it just hiding around the corner waiting to pounce. I really hope that I am closer to healing than I used to be.

I'll have to check the riceless maki. I love our Japanese restaurant. There is a bit of a language barrier though. On more than one occasion, I have ordered one thing only to have another arrive in its place. Fortunately, I am adventurous. Unfortunately, since I didn't know what I was eating, I wasn't able to order it again.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_gal View Post
:
How exciting is that??
Your on a roll now chica!!
Thanks, Lei!

You're not doing too bad yourself!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Food for Friday: January 25, 2008

Breakfast:Atkins cinnamon roll breakfast bar, coffee, measured 1/2 1/2
Lunch:3 oz. ham, 2 eggs scrambled in butter, coffee, measured 1/2 1/2
Dinner:caesar salad, 2 steak-ums, onion, butter, cheese
Snacks:scalloped cauliflower

Fat:73%
Carbs:7%
Protein:20%
Net Carbs:27

Food for Saturday: January 26, 2008
I had a horrible upset stomach and again, tried to eat to heal it. Fortunately, I was recording everything in ******, so stayed "legal". Drank lots of tea.

Breakfast:Michigan Cottage Cheese, coffee, measured 1/2 1/2, bacon
Lunch:Chicken wing and thigh, scalloped cauliflower
Dinner:Chicken broth, onion, chicken, butter, cream, carrot
Snacks: 1/2 c. blueberries, cream, one minute muffin (no blueberries in muffin.)

Fat:75%
Carbs:7%
Protein:19%
Net Carbs:30

I'm doing great today! Feel much better. Slept in and didn't go to church,:blush: but I really think my body needed it.

I've been looking, but can't seem to find....Does anyone know the ratios of fat/protein/carbs for OWL? I know that I'm recording them, but I'd like to know what the optimum ratio is?:blush:

I had a HUGE non scale victory on Friday night. My husband had some very good news about a business venture that he is starting. (If your interested, search Philosophrets on ebay. No pressure.:blush I got so excited for him. Really, really excited. Typically, I would have gone on an all out eating frenzy because I was so happy. I tend to be a celebratory eater. But you know what? After our news, I didn't put one bite of food into my mouth for the rest of the night. I was........ actually too excited to eat!!!! I have NEVER had that happen to me in my whole entire life.:blush:

Excitement Eating-0 Elizabeth-1
Old 01-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #224

on the Business venture.. I will have to look it up.. .. and very good for not "celebrate eating..

can I ask what is Michigan cottage cheese? just a brand? or sumpin added to it? And the scalloped cauliflower.. just add cheese? help me..

glad your feeling better this am .. I hope tomorrow will be a great day for you as well..

sleep well tonight Elizabeth...pretty name..

Last edited by monet0329; 01-27-2008 at 05:50 PM..
Old 01-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #225

I'm back.. so it has something to do with the guitar playing huh.. is he going to teach? That would be cool..

I remember you asking what kind of music does my son and hubby play.. well.. hubby plays some old rock..(80).. and just picks around..lol.. now my son.. he plays everything.. country.. rock.. and gospel.. he plays for the church every now and again.. they all take turns.... he hasn't been playing long.. but he is like my brother.. can play just about anything.. he can play a little keyboard.. and he plays drums.. as well as the bass guitar.. as I said. he got his talents from my brother.. me.. I can't play anything.. I do sing a little.. hehe.. ok I karaoke.... guess its not like real singing.. but its fun and I love it.. and I have won a few contest../.. I used to be able to dance.. in HIgh school everyone called me Michael Jackson.. that's when everyone thought he was cool..lol.. my year book has people calling me that all over it and in it.. but.. those days have long gone.. till I get this weight off of me....

any who.. enough about me and mine.. how about you and yours??? hehe..
★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ★
Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monet0329 View Post
can I ask what is Michigan cottage cheese? just a brand? or sumpin added to it? And the scalloped cauliflower.. just add cheese? help me..
Michigan cottage cheese is actually a brand name, but it is different than all the other types of cottage cheese here in Ohio. It is really dry with a completely different texture. It also has less carbs than the cottage cheese around here.

From the website:
Quote:
Michigan Brand Cottage Cheese was developed in 1929 by a German immigrant in Michigan. He produced what is called "Old Fashioned" or "Farmers" cheese.

This cottage cheese is very dry and small curded. Because the product is so dry it will have a longer shelf life than other cottage cheeses. Michigan Brand Cottage cheese is excellent for cooking and is a great replacement for ricotta cheese in lasagna.
Quote:
Elizabeth...pretty name..
Thanks, Monet:blush:

How I make my scalloped vegetables:

9x13 pan
Layer 1 bag frozen veggies (cauliflower or broccoli).
Cut up 3 TBS. of butter over the top.
Cut up 1/2 an onion over the top.
Salt and pepper.
Pour 1/2 cup heavy cream over the whole thing.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes.

Super easy, super delicious.

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 01-28-2008 at 09:32 AM..
Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm back.. so it has something to do with the guitar playing huh.. is he going to teach? That would be cool..
They are downloaded files that use visualization techniques to practice the guitar in your head.

He teaches at our local music store. He also plays in church, writes original stuff and posts it on the internet. Classical, jazz, blues, gospel, some rock.

He has more musical talent in his little finger nail than I have in my whole body. I am a huge music appreciator and his biggest fan.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #228
Daddy's Girl

Gallery: cdn_gal
Stats: 230/152.3/145~~5'10
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Sept9/08/May12/09
Quote:
How I make my scalloped vegetables:

9x13 pan
Layer 1 bag frozen veggies (cauliflower or broccoli).
Cut up 3 TBS. of butter over the top.
Cut up 1/2 an onion over the top.
Salt and pepper.
Pour 1/2 cup heavy cream over the whole thing.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes.

Super easy, super delicious.
YUM-O!! I can see that in my tummy in the very near future!!
Oh yeah, thanks for the recipe I just stole from you!
cdn_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

Food: January 27, 2008

I stayed on plan all day and only ate when I was hungry. I didn't feel "bingey" or out of control. My calories are way up! We'll see how this affects me.

Breakfast:Bacon, Onion, Cheese Omelet, Coffee, measured half and half
Lunch:1 1/2 ounces chicken breast, scalloped broccoli
Dinner:1/2 cup meat sauce (tomato), parmesan, scalloped broccoli
Snack:One-minute muffin

Fat:80%
Carbs:5%
Protein:15%
Net Carbs:30

I plan to make three changes this week:

1) I am drinking too much coffee and too much cream. Last week, I started measuring my cream, which was a good start. I'm feeling a little jittery/headachey and I think it is because I'm drinking three big mugs of coffee a day (sometimes four:blush. I bought some green tea. Starting today, I'm going to substitute my last cup of coffee with a cup of green tea. This will do a few things....it will lower my cals/carbs a little and it probably will save on coffee. I buy Starbucks Cafe Verona which ain't cheap! I always feel like I have to finish the pot because I don't want to pour any of that gold down the drain. I will start making a smaller pot to accommodate my needs.

2) It is my desire to exercise. It is actually my secret dream to run.

I am very out of shape for a few reasons...a) I was on bed rest for over a month when I was pregnant with my son (over seven years ago). I never really regained my strength from before he was born. I also have some sort of back injury from his delivery. My back has hurt for most of my life due to scoliosis and kyphosis.

This week, I intend to get on my exercise bike every day even if it is only for five minutes. Any weight lifting or yoga I do will be icing on the cake. I always plan to ride for 30 minutes and usually end up not having "time" so it doesn't happen.

I know that exercise will improve my back situation.

3) I also have a goal to get into the shower immediately upon waking each day. Seems simple, but I live in a two story house that was built in 1920. We have a beautiful claw foot bath tub, but the only shower is.......in the basement. Yep! And it's pretty cold down there in the winter. There are lots of distractions between my room and that shower. My days go much better if I shower and dress immediately. Hopefully, knowing that I need to report it here will keep me accountable.

So far today:
Food: On plan and in ******
Coffee: 2 cups and I'm working on my green tea.
Exercise: Zip
Shower: Showered immediately (even before coffee ) and dressed.

Oh and it's sunny AGAIN today. This is a rare thing indeed.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_gal View Post
YUM-O!! I can see that in my tummy in the very near future!!
Oh yeah, thanks for the recipe I just stole from you!
It is the best! Also, you can sprinkle it with shredded cheddar and bacon for an even better treat. I made it at Christmas and it was all the non-LCers favorite! They all had second helpings and left mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole. I felt like saying, "Hey, leave some leftovers for me. I'm not going to need any extra potatoes." LOL
Old 01-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #231

hey Ms. Elizabeth,,
thanks for the recipe.. I will save it when I get home.. hehe..

nice goals you have set today....

You must have takin our sun..lol.. we had some this am.. now.. rainy.... oh well.. what can ya do....

these guys I am working must think I am a loon.... the radio is on and its singing "Do wa ditty ditty dumb ditty do".. and I was dancin in my chair here .... I said.. you all getting into this..? one smiled and one just looked at me.. what can I say.. I love music..

sing it with me now. "Do wa ditty ditty dumb ditty do".. she looks good.. looks fine.. yadda ..
Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #232

Your tweaks sound really good!! I gave up the heavy cream at a certain point, substituting carbier milk at one point, because I realized I was eating a lot of calories. In addition to my regular coffee, I drink a lot of celestial seasonings tea with liquid splenda. One of the varieties I like is the decaf green tea with mint. Green tea has caffeine, so you may want to take that into consideration too.

I totally relate to the shower thing! I think it's a really good goal! not weird or anything ... and the exercise is awesome too!!!! Are you taking on too many changes at once? Requiring only 5 minutes minimum of the exercise sounds like a really good idea - a goal you can definitely meet!

I started reading Passing For Thin, but I think there were food descriptions I couldn't read without feeling binge-y. I am still like that. I can't even read some posts, or people's journals who constantly talk about food, lol!

I am so glad you feel so strong about binge-eating right now. Seven months is wonderful!!! I have to say though that despite going long periods now without binge-eating, it has reared its ugly head from time to time and it has been god-awful hard to pull myself out of the nightly binge. I feel good these past few weeks, but I know I have to stay on guard and keep working on it. I wish I could know that this time the binge-eating is gone forever. I pray it is, for both of us!!! I wonder if it is a curable problem or if it is something we will always have to watch ... sorry, my comments aren't very comforting, I know.

P
Old 01-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline,

Even if you don't want to call it encouragement, I still find it encouraging! Even though you still struggle with it, you are achieving your goals and helping all the rest of us who are still in the weight loss part of the battle.

When your binge eating rears its head, is it because of emotional stuff plus a high carb day (even if the carbs are legal) or just emotions? Help me plan.

Thank you for suggesting that I might be taking on too many goals at once. I welcome all thoughts that will help me on my journey. I do tend to be very perfectionistic/going to change everything about me this instant! I have a long list of "improvements" I want to make. LOL I really thought about it all weekend.

1) My synthroid has finally kicked in and the extra coffee is really making me shaky, so I knew I needed to change how much I drink, but didn't want to eliminate a whole cup cold turkey because I didn't want a caffeine headache. I thought the green tea would ratchet down the caffeine slightly and give me some anti-oxidents. The calories/carbs are just a side benefit. I could always drink my three cups, but put less cream in or drink it black. The suggestion for the decaf green tea is a good one. For some reason, all decaf coffee and tea give me head aches. I do drink a lot of naturally caffeine free Celestial Seasonings tea. I them.

2) Every week, I start with the goal of 5 days of a exercise (1/2 hour each day) and fail. It's almost like the "I'll start my diet on Monday." I'm feeling very unsuccessful and it is bothering me. I thought about what I could do to help me feel positive. I didn't want to eliminate the goal of exercise. I decided that lowering the bar so much that I could succeed would be a good place to start. Once the habit is in place (even for just 5 min. a day), I could build from there, whether it be next week or two months from now.

3) The shower....I felt like I should take this on and it wasn't food related. It is very much a nurturing thing to do for myself.

I'm going to really keep an eye on my "temperature" this week. If I start feeling out of control and wanting to eat more, I will go back to just watching the food and recording it in fit day.

Again, thank you for your insight! I need to see any potential down falls in my plans.

I tried to read through the food parts really fast. Food descriptions get me, too. For instance, I try not to go to the recipe section of this board or open food threads because I know it's an accident waiting to happen. I don't read the "What are you eating today?" threads.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #234

I love the way you have thought all of your changes through so well! and I especially love your solution on the exercise one. More important than the 1/2 hour of exercise a day prescription is just developing the habit. I truly believe once you have a habit down, the details are just details and you can always improve on those little by little ... WTG!!!

As far as triggers for binge eating ... I think the binge eating in my case has very little to do with the food or having higher carb days or anything like that, because when I am out of binge-mode, I do not even notice that there is popcorn and nuts, etc. in the cupboard, but when I am in danger of a binge, certain foods will draw me as will any bit of normal hunger. So I think my binge triggers can probably be divided into two distinct categories : 1. What will put me in binge mode in the first place, 2. Things that will trigger a binge when I am already susceptible to a binge due to my emotional state.

In my case, I think it is when I start to panic - when i feel I have no control over a situation. This last one was about getting scr*wed over twice (financially) by two different sets of people that caused us to lose money and potentially lose 12k a year - a situation that I was helpless to fix ...

I simply had to work 24/7 with the hope that we would get someone to fill the vacancy despite it being the worst time of year, blah blah blah - at the same time dh's work situation seemed a little shaky - he works in a startup, funded by venture capital, is a very valued employee, but when business isn't going well, everyone is at risk (luckily they now seem to be doing very well).

I finally got all that sorted after a few months and family medical problems started to appear, inluding a cancer diagnosis. I think I just freak in situations where I am helpless to some degree. When I can take action, I can be upset, but calmly stay in control and see my way through a problem. That's the difference for me, I think.

(and the financial thing shouldn't affect me so totally again as I took action and 1. took out a loan I can use should I temporarily need extra funds at any time, 2. Figured out how to live much more frugally should it be necessary again and have trained the family to do without some unnecessaries, 3. Restructured some investments for better yield, and 4. Started saving a lot more money on a daily basis while things are going well.)

I am great and level-headed in a crisis where solutions are needed and someone needs to take control - take action. You can count on me. But, when there is nothing to be done but put things into the hands of god, so to speak, I cannot be passive and accept, instead I hurt myself with panic and I cope by binge eating. sad, but true.

I binge because I am a control freak? maybe?

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-28-2008 at 05:21 PM..
Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I wish I could know that this time the binge-eating is gone forever...
I wonder if it is a curable problem or if it is something we will always have to watch...
For me, (unfortunately) I think it is something that I'll always have to be on guard for.

Quote:
...when there is nothing to be done but put things into the hands of god, so to speak, I cannot be passive and accept, instead I hurt myself with panic and I cope by binge eating. sad, but true.

I binge because I am a control freak? maybe?
Same here.
I can relate to the feeling that my desire for control (to be perfect, in ways) is exactly what makes me binge.

Thanks for sharing, Pauline.

KUTGW, GardenGirl.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #236

Good morning ..

I love how you two can evaluate why you binge.. me.. I think I just love to eat.. no reason.. I just love to eat.. and I am trying to change that.. I want to eat for fuel.. not fun.. God put food on this earth for us to fuel our bodies.. not to gorge ourselves .... imagine the food I could send to the hungry.... I am sure he doesn't mind if we treat ourselves every now and again on something good for us.. like the fruits.. but the processed foods.. .. I dunno.. I sure wish I knew what they ate up in heaven hehe..

anyway.. keep it up ladies.. I am learning a lot from you two..

have a super day..
Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #237

Quote:
I am sure he doesn't mind if we treat ourselves every now and again on something good for us.. like the fruits.. but the processed foods.. .. I dunno.. I sure wish I knew what they ate up in heaven hehe..

You know, one thing I do is to feed myself food I really like ... just posted about that in a thread I started over in the Century Club ... but I make a point of eating something sweet for breakfast, and having dessert after each meal. It makes me feel happy with this way of life.

I think people on these boards buy way too much into the idea that losing weight has to be about deprivation ...

I recently discovered the one minute flax muffins that I've been eating after lunch and dinner with tea or coffee. I make them extra sweet and I added ground cloves to the recipe (which also calls for cinnamon) -- they smell so good, my kids want them, lol! I do eat a "product" and Atkins breakfast bar for breakfast - and have done so for the last five years as my body tolerates it and I have found one flavor that I will not binge on ... just don't like it as well as some of the other flavors, lol ...

I guess what I am saying is that you should treat yourself to nice things you enjoy ... maybe doing some research on recipes could help.

Apologies for journal-jacking Elizabeth, but I couldn't help myself

P
Old 01-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,

I will come back tonight or tomorrow and answer all your wonderful posts. Great conversation going. Carry on without me.

But.....

I am having a horrible binge day. It came out of no where....no actually, I should have suspected it and planned for it, but didn't.

My youngest daughter had her tooth pulled today by the dentist. Huge root. Shouldn't have come out until she was 12 (she's 7). She's doing great. I'm hoping the Motrin will be enough for her.

I took her to the grocery store afterwards to pick out ice cream and a new Webkinz and there the monster reared it's ugly head.

My plans for tonight:
I fixed myself a nutritious, fat-filled dinner.
I brewed myself a cup of tea.
I'm going to get away from the computer in a minute and go walk in the rain. I need to be outside and I need to be physical.
When I get home, I will take a warm shower and put on some comfy jammies and my new robe.
I will brew myself another cup of herb tea.
I will make myself my evening one minute muffin with butter.

~E
Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #239

Elizabeth I hope your walk helps you feel better. Maybe all the change scared you - or all the talk about binge eating. I know I am very suggestible like that. Good idea to just get right back on track.

big big

Pauline
Old 01-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My plans for tonight:
I fixed myself a nutritious, fat-filled dinner.
I brewed myself a cup of tea.
I'm going to get away from the computer in a minute and go walk in the rain. I need to be outside and I need to be physical.
When I get home, I will take a warm shower and put on some comfy jammies and my new robe.
I will brew myself another cup of herb tea.
I will make myself my evening one minute muffin with butter.
Your right to be kind to yourself, Elizabeth.

We're here for you!!!

Last edited by momov2boys; 01-29-2008 at 04:56 PM..