Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #181
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: monet0329
Stats: to much!
WOE: lower carb :D
Start Date: Feb 28 2013.. (lc) down 61.5 pounds :)
LK at you , my neighbor, shrinking..

keep it up lady.... sleep well tonight..
monet0329 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #182

Morning..
Old 01-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/189/145 5'3 3/4"
Hi, Monet.

I'm sick, sick, sick. I'm tired of being sick. I woke up Christmas morning, sick and now I'm sick again.

My head feels like it's going to explode. My throat is raw.

Did I tell you I was sick?
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
Hi, Monet.

I'm sick, sick, sick. I'm tired of being sick. I woke up Christmas morning, sick and now I'm sick again.

My head feels like it's going to explode. My throat is raw.

Did I tell you I was sick?
Aww.. sorry your sick........ get better.. are you taking meds.. I hear that Aleve Cold is really good....I love regular Aleve.. so if I get sick I am gonna try it..

rest sweetie
Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #185

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
GG

Feel better soon!!! (chicken soup is lc!)
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
GG

Feel better soon!!! (chicken soup is lc!)
NO noodles..
Old 01-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the get well wishes. I am feeling much better today, although my ear hurts a little.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

I am a binge eater, an emotional eater, and a comfort eater. Maybe these are all the same thing, but I find that I react differently to each.

I want to talk about comfort eating, specifically how it relates to illness.

Illness was a huge thing in my family of origin. It was one of the major disfunctions in our family, an excuse to check out of whatever you didn't want to do. I have so may messed up reactions and feelings about illness that I am still trying to work through as an adult. Working through in order to be a mentally healthy adult and working through so that I don't "mess up" my own children.

So to begin with, being sick with a cold or the flu or whatever normal malady that comes around already comes with a huge amount of emotional baggage along with the physical symptoms of being sick. One of the things that happened in my family when you were sick, whether cold or stomach issues, was a total diet change. Tea with cream and sugar, Campbell's mushroom soup with LOTS of crackers, and cinnamon toast. Lots and lots of cinnamon toast.

So, the first thing I want when I start feeling sick is cinnamon toast. There is not a good equivalent on Atkins for cinnamon toast. I don't do Splenda or artificial sweeteners, so that makes it hard to mix the cinnamon with anything. Revolution rolls just don't get it. I could make my own mushroom soup from scratch, but who wants to cook when they are sick. Plus, what I really want are all the crackers.

Finding a LC substitute for the food isn't the real issue anyways. The issue is wanting to be comforted. The thing that derailed me last year was an infection that needed antibiotics. So much about going off plan had to do with "comfort".

I am glad that I am starting to get a handle on this. I can identify that this is a problem area that I have used food to try to fix my problem. No matter how much I eat or what I eat, I am still sick. I will still have the sore throat, runny nose, etc. (I am not talking the health aspect right now....I know that healthy foods=healthy body.)

So, the last couple of days, I've made sure I've had my warm fuzzy slippers on, I'm wearing my favorite, most comfortable clothes (which are getting smaller), I've been drinking loads of tea (because I can still have that.), sometimes with Stevia, sometimes plain. I've been trying to be incredibly nice to me, just like I would be nice to my children or husband if they were sick.

So, the score for this weekend is Illness-0, Elizabeth-1.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."-Thomas Edison
"I never failed once. It just happened to be a 2000 step process"-Thomas Edison
"It's never too late to be who you might have been"-George Eliot
Dream it, talk it, live it. -Rose Fitzgerald
Old 01-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #189

.. good for you girly.. ..

as I asked you over in my journal.. have you tried the flax muffins in a bread form? Is it the same recipe? If you can make it ni bread form.. you can slice it and toast it.. then put your butter on it.. and if you use the sf syrups.. it will be goo0o00od.. kinda like your cinn. toast??

just a thought.. but you can't have lots of it..

I am glad your working through this comfort thing.. when you can figure it all out then you can be more aware of things.. and fix them.. like your doing....remember what they say

" The first thing is solving a problem is admitting you have one !"

OH girl.. we are gonna beat the system this time.. I just know it..

system meaning our systems..lol.. don't think I have gone off the deep end.. but we do have to trick our bodies by changing what we do.. for me.. no more sugar.. breads.. all that junk that my body expects.. No0o.. I am gonna treat myself with the respect I deserve !!.. I am gonna take care of number 1 for a change.. I am gonna shock the pants off of many people..

oh my I am on a roll tonight.. OK I MUST go start dinner.. I am hungry people over here..
★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ★
Old 01-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

I'm doing a fat experiment. I've upped my fats tremendously over the past 3 days and I'm down 2 lbs. I wonder if this might be my "missing link."

I haven't posted the day or two. So much of weight loss can be down right boring! Boredom is something else I struggle with. I absolutely hate to be bored. When I was growing up, when our family was having a "bored evening", we would make pudding or cake. I can remember being a little kid and going into the kitchen and slices "lines" of cake out of the pan. You couldn't just cut a piece because then someone would know that you had more than you should, so you had to cut it so the edge was all even. Sigh!

I really, really hate thinking about this stuff, but I think it's important to relearn some of these behaviors and to make different plans for other behaviors.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #191

Cool that upping fats is working for you!! It should definitely help with any hunger you have! My fat % has gone down lately as the carb % went up some, but at one time I would do 60-70% fat and I liked it, lol!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
I'm doing a fat experiment. I've upped my fats tremendously over the past 3 days and I'm down 2 lbs. I wonder if this might be my "missing link."

I haven't posted the day or two. So much of weight loss can be down right boring! Boredom is something else I struggle with. I absolutely hate to be bored. When I was growing up, when our family was having a "bored evening", we would make pudding or cake. I can remember being a little kid and going into the kitchen and slices "lines" of cake out of the pan. You couldn't just cut a piece because then someone would know that you had more than you should, so you had to cut it so the edge was all even. Sigh!

I really, really hate thinking about this stuff, but I think it's important to relearn some of these behaviors and to make different plans for other behaviors.
I have a picture of myself eating a piece of cake when I was a lil girl.. I remember that vary cake because my step dad said if I ate it I would be fat one day.. he was right.... I also remember my brother saying to me all the time.. fatty fatty two by four.. couldn't get through the bathroom door.... funny part about that was he was way bigger then I was by all means.. I didn't get fat till I started dating..lol.. I had a bf that spoiled me....

I do believe that remembering things from our past is a good thing and we can learn from them.. I remember eating sugar bread.. just sugar on a piece of white bread.. I would eat like 3 pieces then go back outside to play..my brother would say I was gonne get sugar diebeties some day.. that hasn't happened... YET...

geesh.. you have my thinking about that stuff now..lol..oh well.. I need to remember..

sleep well tonight..
Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monet0329 View Post
I have a picture of myself eating a piece of cake when I was a lil girl.. I remember that vary cake because my step dad said if I ate it I would be fat one day.. he was right.... I also remember my brother saying to me all the time.. fatty fatty two by four.. couldn't get through the bathroom door.... funny part about that was he was way bigger then I was by all means.. I didn't get fat till I started dating..lol.. I had a bf that spoiled me....
Kids can be so mean. I was called names, too.

Isn't it amazing that some of are memories are of food?

Quote:
I do believe that remembering things from our past is a good thing and we can learn from them.. I remember eating sugar bread.. just sugar on a piece of white bread..
Oh my gosh, I forgot I used to do that too. White bread, margarine, and lots of sugar. Used to crunch in my teeth. Sometimes we would eat it for breakfast with hot coffee with milk poured over the top. My dad used to call it coffee soup.
Quote:
geesh.. you have my thinking about that stuff now..lol..oh well.. I need to remember..
Yeah, it's not always fun to think about this stuff, but I think it might be why I can't get past a certain place in my weight loss. This time I want to be successful and stay successful.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cool that upping fats is working for you!! It should definitely help with any hunger you have! My fat % has gone down lately as the carb % went up some, but at one time I would do 60-70% fat and I liked it, lol!
I'm not sure about the fat thing now. I whoosed down two lbs. and now I'm up one. Sigh! I'm going to keep eating this way for a week and see what happens....try not to get obsessive.

I know that I should be putting everything into ****** to be totally "scientific", but that can make me a little obsessive sometimes.

I don't know if you were ever like this, but right now, I feel like I just need to be nice to me and not do anything that will trigger a binge...LC or otherwise. I've been really thinking about "issues" (and journal about it) which can be a trigger for me...so far so good. I'm just trying to eat what I know is LC and hoping my body will decide to give up some weight.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #195

Coffee soup.... I didn't even like coffee till I was like 33 34..lol.. I have never heard of this coffee soup..

sorry your up a pound.. but I would wait.. our bodys fluxuate (sp?) so much from day to day.. I have ben weighing every day as well.. but I don't count it till Mondays..

have agreat evening sweetie..
Old 01-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #196

GG, you are very wise to try to avoid triggering a binge. At the same time, if you don't keep track of what you are eating in some way, you could be eating too much to lose weight, in which case the scale will disappoint you .. I know, hard to unravel all of this stuff.

I am also mainly getting out of binge mode and doing what I know works -- haven't weighed myself, but know by my jeans that I have lost some bloat. It is really hard not to weigh, when you really want to lose, but it was piece of the equation for me in the binge thing.

keep up the good work!!

P
Old 01-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
GG, you are very wise to try to avoid triggering a binge. At the same time, if you don't keep track of what you are eating in some way, you could be eating too much to lose weight, in which case the scale will disappoint you .. I know, hard to unravel all of this stuff.

I am also mainly getting out of binge mode and doing what I know works -- haven't weighed myself, but know by my jeans that I have lost some bloat. It is really hard not to weigh, when you really want to lose, but it was piece of the equation for me in the binge thing.

keep up the good work!!

P
Thank you! I hang onto all your words. I wish that I was just one of those people who could do Atkins, lose all the weight and be done. Having been on this journey for along time, I know that I am not. I have "issues" and I need to work on those harder than the food to finally control this beast.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so frustrated I know that I can't be a "tweaker". I do better when I just keep eating the same plain food. When I start cooking and experimenting with recipes, I end up eating too much and either staying the same or gaining. I have been up and down the same three pounds since before Christmas. I have not technically eaten anything off plan, but I'm not eating what my body needs.

I will be on plan for seven months on January 7th. I realize that this is a HUGE accomplishment in itself. I realize that my body is probably just hanging out and getting used to this new weight.

Here's what happened.....Cleo posted about her Oopsie buns. I made a batch and ate all of them. (3 eggs and 3 oz. cream cheese) The next day, I made a batch, but made them into garlic/cheese buns and covered them with a half stick of melted butter. In two days I wooshed down two pounds. I do this "magical" eating thing. Eating lots of a certain food because I'm sure its the magic key to weight loss and I just discovered it. I continued to eat a batch of these buns and 1/2 stick of butter for a couple of days in a row. No weight loss and now I've gained back the two pounds. What was I thinking? That's a tremendous amount to eat in a day. I wasn't really even enjoying the food. It's almost like I was binging on them. Shoving them down, telling myself it wasn't a binge because it was low carb. Sigh!

I also wonder if I might have a sort of dairy sensitivity. I don't really eat cream cheese very often because it can cause cravings. I don't make the low carb cheese cakes because I will eat a whole one in a day. I also cannot eat yogurt in any way, shape, or form. It causes me to gain weight and causes cravings. I have tried many times at different times in my life and always have the same result. I'm wondering if cream cheese needs to be added to my "don't eat" list.

Soo, no more Oopsie rolls. Also, this week, I'm going to measure my food. I may or may not do the ****** thing. I know that I'm back into the "plop" phase and not measuring an actual Tablespoon or teaspoon.

I also think I need to eat my flax muffins again. I used to eat them everyday and they really filled me up. They were a great breakfast and I starting subbing eggs instead because I wanted to eat my muffin at night. I didn't eat very many flax muffins in the last two weeks because I was eating Ooopsi rolls.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

A positive post.....

I made it through January 17th, which was the day I went off plan last year.

Four days to my seven month LC anniversary!

I KNOW that I am getting emotionally and mentally stronger.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

I'm feeling MUCH more positive now. Journaling helps. I pour it all out here instead of cramming it down with food.

I listed everything into ******.
34 net carbs
77% fat
7% carbs
15% protein

No Oopsie rolls.

Breakfast-Omelet w/ bacon, onion, cheese in butter
Lunch-Chicken, 1/4 c. frozen blueberries w/ 2 TBS. cream
Supper-Caesar salad
Snack-One minute muffin-no blueberries
Snack-1 Tbs. cream w/ 1/4 c. frozen raspberries
Old 01-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #201

Good for you sweetie.... keep up the positive attitude..

don't let this stall get you off track.. that's where I went wrong and gained back most of my weight that I had lost.. I may have already told you that.. but I NEED it to sink in with everyone.. because I don't want the same thing happening to you or anyone else .. so stay strong.. once your brain catches up with your body.. the weight will move again.... it sure doesn't happen in the time we want it to.. It's kinda like God.. it happens on HIS time.... but well worth the wait..

have a great day hun..
Old 01-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Monet. I'm doing what my signature says....Never Give Up! I will figure this thing out and I will lose this weight!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Another good day under my belt.

Everything recorded in ******. At least this way, I can look back and see if there are patterns. Just think of where I would be if I had kept track along. Hope I can keep it up.

At very close to what I did yesterday. It's what I had in the house + leftovers.

22 net carbs
72% fat
5% carbs
23% protein

No Oopsie rolls.

Breakfast-Omelet w/ bacon, onion, cheese in butter
Lunch-Chicken
Supper-Caesar salad
Snack-One minute muffin-no blueberries
Snack-1 Tbs. cream w/ 1/4 c. frozen blueberries
Lots of coffee with measured 1/2 and 1/2

My oldest daughter is very, very sick with a sinus infection. I took her to the doctor's today. Antibiotics. I hope she feels better tomorrow. She's missing her biology midterm tomorrow. (Don't worry--we homeschool. She can make it up.)
Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 AM   #204

Oh GG, I am so glad you are feeling better about things .. you know we have a lot in common .. I cannot keep cream cheese in the house, or actually any cheese except for american cheese becasue I will binge on it, so I did not even open the threads on the oopsie rolls, because I would have done EXACTLY what you did

I also recently disovered the flax muffins and having been eating two a day and find them very filling and give me the "mouth feel" of eating something substantial.

I also am not one of those people who do Atkins, lose all the weight, and that's it. It took me a long time with ups and downs and time of uncontrollable binges months at a time. 7 months is awesome!!! and that is how I look at it now too .. in fact, as you know, I am not even looking at the scale for a long while until I think I am back at goal by the feel of of my body and clothes - taking the pressure off.

You are doing a great job!!! I am so sorry I haven't been in here this week to see your oopsie roll post ... forgive me Pauline
Old 01-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #205

Good Moring my friend....

I hope your DD is feeling better today.. ..

I should use my ******.. but it gets on my nerves when I can't find something....

but good for you .
Old 01-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
you know we have a lot in common ..

I also am not one of those people who do Atkins, lose all the weight, and that's it. It took me a long time with ups and downs and time of uncontrollable binges months at a time. 7 months is awesome!!! and that is how I look at it now too .. in fact, as you know, I am not even looking at the scale for a long while until I think I am back at goal by the feel of of my body and clothes - taking the pressure off.

You are doing a great job!!! I am so sorry I haven't been in here this week to see your oopsie roll post ... forgive me Pauline
I think this is why I am drawn to your posts. You've lost the weight, but you understand the struggle. It's not like I don't know HOW to FOLLOW a DIET, it's all the emotional junk that gets in the way. For me, the weight is a symptom of a different problem that needs to be fixed.

And don't feel bad for not being here during the Oopsie debacle. I'm just honored that you would even come in here and give me any advice at all.:blush:
Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Good Moring my friend....

I hope your DD is feeling better today.. ..

I should use my ******.. but it gets on my nerves when I can't find something....

but good for you .

Monet, thanks for the well wishes for my daughter. She is very slowly starting to feel better. Poor thing has really been down for the count.

****** can drive me crazy, but the more I get used to it, the easier it is. It is really helping me feel in control. TaDa! mentioned using it. What convinced me was that I went back to the time when I was really losing weight well and I didn't have a single morsel of food written down. I have know idea what combination of things I was eating that my body was responding to so well. Bummer.

I'm glad to see that you are doing so well!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #208

Thanks sweetie..
Old 01-24-2008, 04:11 AM   #209

You are absolutely right GG .. We are diet EXPERTS. We could have written most of those books and articles and diet plans. There is another reason we are in this situation and though it's kind of important to understand what happened, it's even more important to cope with what we are and work around our problems ... we'll get there!!! We just have to keep at it and forgive ourselves when we have less successful days.

I am glad to hear your daughter is doing better!!

Pauline
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

I had so much to post last night. I got "interrupted" by bed time routines and all that other Mommy stuff.

I've had a couple of busy days, but have kept up with the ****** journaling. It's funny, but I feel like a sense of calm and balance have come back to my way of eating since I'm writing everything down. I don't have that panicky adrift feeling. No real change on the scale. I'm still at 192. I think I first reached that back around Thanksgiving and have just been floating up and back down again for six weeks. I would love to see the scale go down further (I haven't been in the 180's in over 8 years.), but I am willing to be patient because I have my sense of control back. I find real comfort in eating the same things over and over. New foods usually make my binge.

1-22-08
Breakfast-Blueberries, cream, coffee, half/half
Lunch-Bacon and scrambled eggs, coffee, half/half
Supper-Caesar Salad, Tuna w/ mayo and peas
Snack-canned pumpkin w/ pecans
Snack-one minute muffin

Fat-79%
Carbs-6%
Protein-14%
Net Carbs-27

1-23-08
Breakfast-Onion, Bacon, Cheese Omelet
Lunch-Tuna, mayo, peas
Supper-Applebee's-9 oz. Sirloin, Creamed Spinach, "loaded" broccoli

Road my exercise bike for 1/2 hour

Fat-63%
Carbs-6%
Protein-32%
Net Carbs-23

I was so full yesterday that I didn't eat any snacks in the evening.

I started re-reading the Atkins book. I think it will be good to refresh my memory. I also put My Name is Caroline and Passing for Thin on reserve at my library. They are two autobiographies that deal with obsessive eating.

Today, I'm eating on plan and recording it. I read this article Keep a Food Diary to Lose Weight - Food Journal Diet Success - Goodhousekeeping.com yesterday while at the hair salon. It states that the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to journal what you eat.