Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/189/145 5'3 3/4"
So, TOM is here.:blush:

Usually, during PMS, I have mega cravings which I recognize and try to eat more, but on plan so that I don't binge.

This time, no cravings, but absolutely starving every day for the past couple of days. Didn't not eat anything extra because I did not feel in danger of a binge.

Also, not moody at all

I really thought the starving feeling....stomach hurting, rumbling was real physical hunger.

What say you....real hunger or PMS cravings in a different form?

ETA: Hmmm, looking back to last Tuesday when I had the horrible binge feelings day....I wonder if that was hormonal. Going to chart that, too, like you suggested, Pauline.

I know it probably doesn't seem to matter, but I just need to figure this stuff out. I kind of feel like I'm just waking up and realizing I have a body, if that makes sense. I think I've ignored so much of myself-physically, emotionally- for so long that I can't even identify some of this stuff.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."-Thomas Edison
"I never failed once. It just happened to be a 2000 step process"-Thomas Edison
"It's never too late to be who you might have been"-George Eliot
Dream it, talk it, live it. -Rose Fitzgerald

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 02-05-2008 at 11:06 AM..
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
hey Elizabeth - I had exactly what you had - It certainly did feel like real hunger ... my theory, for what it is worth: If you think about exactly what your body is doing or getting prepared to do - it is a physical task that requires energy. It is an energy expenditure that you do not make any other time of the month, so it actually makes perfect sense that our body tells us we need more calories with actual physical hunger ...

I do not think there is anything wrong with us or different from any other women out there. The hormones do their job preparing us for the job ahead, that's all. And I also think there is nothing wrong with responding by eating a little bit more ... but in our cases, probably best to make it a planned amount so we do not overcompensate for the hunger since that is always a danger for us binge eaters ...

p.s. If you have a drinking problem, so do I!!! lol!! herbal tea and coffee .. although I am not as scheduled as you are, lol! LEt's say I am half scheduled drinking, half impulse drinker
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 AM   #303
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
my theory, for what it is worth: If you think about exactly what your body is doing or getting prepared to do - it is a physical task that requires energy. It is an energy expenditure that you do not make any other time of the month, so it actually makes perfect sense that our body tells us we need more calories with actual physical hunger ...
That makes perfect sense. I wonder if my body has changed from cravings at this time to just pure hunger because I'm actually much healthier and my body, for the most part, is getting all nutrients it needs. It wouldn't need to "crave" things it already has. For instance, I eat such a wide variety of veggies (some fruits) now instead of all those baked goods, candies, and frozen confections. Interesting.....
Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning!

Got in a good walk last night....in the rain again...LOL I looked like a drowned rat when I got home. Long brown hair all stingy and wet. I looked a site, but felt like a million bucks. Walked 55 minutes.

I won't be able to walk today. The forecast is thunderstorms all day turning to snow. How nasty does that sound?

Today is my "take it easy" day. I got most of my chores around the house done yesterday in preparation for today. Since the weather is so nasty, I intend to do a lot of reading today. Maybe with the heating pad on my poor tummy and back.

Personal goals assessment:

Shower immediately-3 days this week
Only two cups of coffee-3 days this week
Exercise at least 5 minutes M-F: 2 days, but today isn't finished yet.

******-I've recorded all my food every day since sometime in January.

I at a tremendous amount of calories yesterday. I did not binge. I didn't eat more than 3 meals and 1 snack. Carbs were normal. I just picked higher fat foods. I looked back over my ****** and realize that anytime I make scalloped veggies is a high cal day. I'm not sure if I see any pattern with weight loss, so I'll just keep recording and observing.

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 02-06-2008 at 08:04 AM..
Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #305

Elizabeth ... I eat a higher calorie day on Fridays becasue we have a nice candlelit dinner and I like a couple of glasses of wine, etc. and it has never affected my weightloss - I have been doing this for a few years now. Even one or two a month higher calorie meals out at restaurants. I am glad you are good with your higher calorie day ... we have to normalize our lives and not feel like we are always on a "diet."

p.s. next time you make scalloped veggies, I'm coming over
Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
p.s. next time you make scalloped veggies, I'm coming over
Anytime!!!

So I say your thread yesterday about fat and protein. The whole thing makes my head spin. I can't say that I ever worry that I'm eating too much protein because I really have never been a big meat eater. I was a vegetarian for six years. Weird that I would eat meat and be on Atkins, I know. Anyways, the protein I have to watch is cheese which Dr. Atkins talks about in his books. I do find myself adding extra fat throughout the day, though, and I wonder if this is okay....especially in the light of binge eating. I know that fat can help keep cravings down, but I'm wondering about eating something that I'm not hungry for.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Not much new to report. Just one foot in front of the other.

Calories were lower yesterday. I just didn't feel like eating much. Could be because of hormones or could be because I ate so much the day before. Who knows? (Who cares?) I bore myself, sometimes. LOL

Rode the bike yesterday for 10 minutes which was a Herculean effort. I tend to be an all or nothing person. The fact that I have successfully gotten some type of exercise for 8 days prevents me from NOT getting some exercise now. I can't say that it's a habit by any means, but I can tell you that it will take something big (or just a total loss of memory) for me NOT to exercise now. I'm loving the fact that I challenged myself and that I'm meeting that challenge--even if it was for an itty bitty amount of time. I also have to say that not once have I only ridden 5 minutes. LOL It's always at least six because then I have exceeded my goal.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
Anytime!!!

So I say your thread yesterday about fat and protein. The whole thing makes my head spin. I can't say that I ever worry that I'm eating too much protein because I really have never been a big meat eater. I was a vegetarian for six years. Weird that I would eat meat and be on Atkins, I know. Anyways, the protein I have to watch is cheese which Dr. Atkins talks about in his books. I do find myself adding extra fat throughout the day, though, and I wonder if this is okay....especially in the light of binge eating. I know that fat can help keep cravings down, but I'm wondering about eating something that I'm not hungry for.
makes mine spin too!! lol!!! Nowehere in his works does Dr. Atkins really addres the folks who become obsessive about the weightloss and will jump into crazy unnecessary tweaks. I remember him talking about Atkins as "the cheat on the weekends" plan and how he was totally against the use of induction for such a regime. I so wish he were around to comment on some of these trends going on with lowcarbers ... I somehow think he'd tell us to do it as written unless we meet one of his "exceptions to the rule" and to think of this as a change of a lifetime, not a quick-fix scheme.

p.s. I eat things I am not hungry for. I have found as a binge-eater scheduling the food makes the most sense. I do not have a built-in food-o-meter and I have recently proven that is the case, lol!!! Also, when I skip food I am scheduled to eat, I end up twice as hungry an hour or two later and the hunger itself convinces my stomach that it has not had enough food and in fact, hunger can even lead me to binge thoughts. We are eating a low amount of food to lose weight .. we do not have to worry that we are overeating. If I were your conscience, I'd tell you not to worry!!

Quote:
I'm loving the fact that I challenged myself and that I'm meeting that challenge--even if it was for an itty bitty amount of time. I also have to say that not once have I only ridden 5 minutes. LOL It's always at least six because then I have exceeded my goal
OMG!! Do you have any idea what a huge inspiration that is??!! I wish you would post about it on the Century Club because you have done something many of us with a lot to lose just cannot get their heads around. I think you would help a lot of people ... Smart Lady!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
OMG!! Do you have any idea what a huge inspiration that is??!! I wish you would post about it on the Century Club because you have done something many of us with a lot to lose just cannot get their heads around. I think you would help a lot of people ... Smart Lady!!!!!!
Wow! Thanks for the compliment. I really just feel like I'm limping along. LOL

As far as the Century Club, I've never posted there. Would it be okay to post a thread? Also, which part...goal setting....baby steps...exercise? The last thing I would want to do is post something and have people think I am being insulting, KWIM?

Quote:
We are eating a low amount of food to lose weight .. we do not have to worry that we are overeating. If I were your conscience, I'd tell you not to worry!!
See, I find this confusing. I don't think I'm eating a small amount of food. My calories go into the 2000 range sometimes and my programmed 1000 calories-a-day-brain goes berserk. I look back at my food and my portions and, if I know that I haven't binged or eaten past full, I try to let it go. I try not to mess with the calories too much the next day and send myself into an eating frenzy.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

Today went by fast.

Recorded all my food in ****** today. Calories down much lower. Just not very hungry today.

I am tired.

Adoption Support Group tonight~messed with my tea drinking.

Still have sick kids.

Need to go get some exercise in.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

Road my bike for 16 minutes last night.

Back down to 188 today. The bloat is almost gone. Goal for today: drink lots of water to flush the extra liquid I'm holding out of my body.

I've been thinking a lot about the itty bitty goal setting I've been doing. I see all sorts of things I could apply it to in my life...not right now though. I want to get these goals firmly established in my life before I move onto new ones. It really is like that saying "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." I'm not sure why I never really got this concept before.

I think I tend to be grandiose and perfectionistic in my approach to things. For instance, "It's Monday and I'm going to start a diet, start an intense exercise program which includes cardio and weight lifting, teach my three children the whole body of human knowledge this week, have an impeccably clean house, fix gourmet meals for my family, dress up, fix my hair, wear make-up, etc. etc. etc." You get the idea. How could I do anything but fail? I am a human. I live in a house with other humans.

I think part of my problem may be/may have been....I grew up in a house that was very dysfunctional (who didn't, right?). I knew that my house wasn't "normal", so what was? TV, movies, magazines....How can anyone live up to those things? They have entire staffs to make one movie set or one magazine shoot. Not to mention all the photo retouching that goes on after the fact.

So, today, I'm just going to enjoy my imperfect self in my imperfectly kept home. I'm going to enjoy my wonderfully imperfect children. Oh, and drink my water.

Have a wonderfully imperfect day!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #312

Gallery: monet0329
Stats: to much!
WOE: lower carb :D
Start Date: Feb 28 2013.. (lc) down 61.5 pounds :)
Ohh.. and I thought I was the only one.. .. lol.

hiya.. I have missed you these past 2 days I haven't gotten on line..well I posted real quick last night.. but I didn't get to check up on anyone ..

I think I need to go read tada's post for yesterday.. you said something about to much protein.. can we do that? since I was drinking the protein drinks.. my weight loss has been almost none.. .. I need to go read..lol

this is why I love this place.. people are way smarter about all this then I am.. maybe I am just lazy.. they do all the work and I learn...no.. I am not lazy.. I just have a comprehension problem.. I can read and re read and just not get it.. but if someone shows me.. or spells it out for me .. then I understand..lol.. am I making since?

I am glad you had a restful day.. I need one of those.. all I do is run around on my days off.. ugh.. but my friend will be moving in the next few weeks.. so I wont be doing so much running....

have a great evening hun..
★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ ℒℴѵℯ★ℒℴѵℯ★
monet0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

Hey, Monet,

There's a lot going around in the Main Lobby right now about eating too much protein. People think that you should could carbs AND protein. It makes my head spin. TaDa was trying to point out that it was making it too complicated. It's not really what Dr. Atkins suggests. I was agreeing with her.

Part of the beauty of Atkins is just counting carbs.

Your protein shakes might be stalling you, but it might not be the protein...it might be some other ingredient that you are sensitive to. It could also be that your body is just taking a little rest and more weight will come off next week. If I were you, I would just keep everything like it is. After that, if you still aren't losing, then take out the protein shake, but that's just me.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I had a wonderful day up until about a half hour ago. Sigh!

First, the good day......I ate on plan. I made a very delicious soup for supper. Roasted garlic, roasted chicken, spinach. I don't consider the weekend "exercise days" so whatever I do is just for enjoyment. I went for a 50 minute brisk walk and I felt so high when I came home. I made my wonderful soup.

My husband and I went to some friends' house tonight. I asked my 17 yo to put the soup away after she and her siblings were done eating.

This is where the bad part of my day comes in. When we got home, the soup was still sitting in the pot, now spoiled. I got really angry...not screaming or anything, just really angry. After awhile, I realized that I wasn't angry because she hadn't done what I had asked, I was angry because it was MY food. Had it been anything else, I would've said something, but I would not have gotten so boiling mad. Ugh! Ugly. Food is still such an issue for me. I hate that!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #315

Quote:
Hey, Monet,

There's a lot going around in the Main Lobby right now about eating too much protein. People think that you should could carbs AND protein. It makes my head spin. TaDa was trying to point out that it was making it too complicated. It's not really what Dr. Atkins suggests. I was agreeing with her.

Part of the beauty of Atkins is just counting carbs.

Your protein shakes might be stalling you, but it might not be the protein...it might be some other ingredient that you are sensitive to. It could also be that your body is just taking a little rest and more weight will come off next week. If I were you, I would just keep everything like it is. After that, if you still aren't losing, then take out the protein shake, but that's just me.
Did I read that right.. they said we should cut out carbs and protein.. so are they saying we should just be vegetarians? .. Nope.. that's not the Atkins way.. and I don't believe I could do that..lol.. My belief is that God put animals on this earth for us to eat.. If my beliefs are wrong.. I guess he will let me know when I get there.. huh..

Thank you for this.. one never knows what the body has a problem with..lol..my protein drink stuff has whey in it.. maybe that's the problem?? what exactly is Whey?.. I just read in a mag. that this whey protein helped ladies lose weight.. .. Help..

I have so much to learn still.. you'd think as long as I have be on again off again at this I would know more then I do.. .. but its all a learning process.. and I will get there..

hope your day was a good one.. .. I am sure you are posting your reg Journal as I type this.. so I will be back to read it in a few..
Old 02-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #316

Quote:

First, the good day......I ate on plan. I made a very delicious soup for supper. Roasted garlic, roasted chicken, spinach. I don't consider the weekend "exercise days" so whatever I do is just for enjoyment. I went for a 50 minute brisk walk and I felt so high when I came home. I made my wonderful soup.

My husband and I went to some friends' house tonight. I asked my 17 yo to put the soup away after she and her siblings were done eating.

This is where the bad part of my day comes in. When we got home, the soup was still sitting in the pot, now spoiled. I got really angry...not screaming or anything, just really angry. After awhile, I realized that I wasn't angry because she hadn't done what I had asked, I was angry because it was MY food. Had it been anything else, I would've said something, but I would not have gotten so boiling mad. Ugh! Ugly. Food is still such an issue for me. I hate that!
I SO understand this.. .. isn't it terrible.. we feel this way.. we don't mean to.. don't get to down on yourself.. shake it off.. your realizing this.. so its not a total loss.. right....

sleep well.. and don't forget your prayers hehe..
Old 02-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Hi Elizabeth!

Quote:

First, the good day......I ate on plan. I made a very delicious soup for supper. Roasted garlic, roasted chicken, spinach.

Please go back and reconsider your day yesterday as wonderful.

You had an awesome day, you did everything right.
Be happy and proud of yourself.

Food may very well always be "such an issue" for you.
(It will be for me).

I would have been steaming mad about the nice soup being wasted, too.
I believe your reaction about the soup was completely "normal."

Accepting that you'll always healthy, LC foods is perfectly fine.
You are to be commended, Elizabeth!

Have a wonderful Sunday.
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #318

Quote:
... After awhile, I realized that I wasn't angry because she hadn't done what I had asked, I was angry because it was MY food. Had it been anything else, I would've said something, but I would not have gotten so boiling mad. Ugh! Ugly. Food is still such an issue for me. I hate that!
Looking back on me before Atkins, I see so many times I was hopping mad about food - and it was the same, it had to do with my food, with people not taking me in to account, or things like that. How very very perceptive of you to pinpoint your feelings like that ... Don't feel too bad, only by recognizing what we are doing and what goes on inside can we get to a better place. It might have felt really terrible - I am sure it did - but it was probably a little breakthrough through the emotional cloudcover we wrap ourselves in - a good thing. P

Quote:
I've been thinking a lot about the itty bitty goal setting I've been doing. I see all sorts of things I could apply it to in my life...not right now though. I want to get these goals firmly established in my life before I move onto new ones. It really is like that saying "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." I'm not sure why I never really got this concept before.

I think I tend to be grandiose and perfectionistic in my approach to things. For instance, "It's Monday and I'm going to start a diet, start an intense exercise program which includes cardio and weight lifting, teach my three children the whole body of human knowledge this week, have an impeccably clean house, fix gourmet meals for my family, dress up, fix my hair, wear make-up, etc. etc. etc." You get the idea. How could I do anything but fail? I am a human. I live in a house with other humans.
So very very true!!!! I think this is part of the problem for me - why I couldn't lose weight before no matter what I did. I had this little slavedriver with whip in the back of my mind and if I wasn't perfect, well, off to binge ... Isn't it great we can finally give ourselves credit for all the wonderful things we do do and we try to do in our imperfection!!! And speaking of imperfection, well just chalk last night up to that too

Last edited by TaDa!; 02-10-2008 at 04:41 AM..
Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Rebecca! Glad to see you back. I hope you had a restful time away.

Thanks everybody. I just felt like the realization slapped me in the face, you know? Same old issue, different form. Fortunately, I was able to keep it together and didn't say anything I would regret to my daughter.

I have a pan of "Heroin Chicken" in the oven. It's a Dana Carpender recipe. I'm hoping I can handle it okay--meaning not binge. I'm okay with chicken and parmesan. We'll see about the paprika.

A funny thing happened to me today (and last Sunday, too). I got tons of compliments....on my hair! Yes, I did curl it so it did look different, but I'm thinking the change is THE FORTY POUNDS I LOST!!! I just can't be satisfied....I don't want people to mention my weight, but when they don't I'm ticked.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline,

I went to Target and bought myself a pretty little date book to keep by the computer. I went through my ****** (I've just completed three weeks) and transferred all my calories, carbs, and any feelings I had recorded into the datebook. It really is much easier to see written out like that.

It's a two year calendar, so I can look back and really see seasonal patterns, etc. once I get farther in my journey.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #321

Hiya sweetie ..

yay on the compliments.. but I do under stand what you mean about them not noticing the weight loss.. they may be afraid to say.." hey you look great.. have you lost weight".. afraid you may take offence to is.... me.. I would be all smiles if anyone said anything..lol.. to me it makes me feel like.. hey someone noticed.. and it take a lot of weight lost for anyone to actually say anything.. it erks me that my friend Beth.. who isn't near as big as I am.. can loose 10 pounds and people tell her how great she looks and ask if shes lost weight.. .. don;t get me wrong.. I am happy for her .. but still I lost 80 and very few people said a word..

anywho.. YOU know how much you've lost and how your into smaller clothes.. YOU feel better.. so smile pretty lady.. and keep it up..
Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Monet!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

I'm having a very stressful day. Lots of emotions....sadness, inferiority, anger....I'll be happy when the day is over.

I treated myself to some new tea. Hope it keeps me from using food to heal my emotions.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm having a very stressful day. Lots of emotions....sadness, inferiority, anger....I'll be happy when the day is over.

I treated myself to some new tea. Hope it keeps me from using food to heal my emotions.

Good for you, Elizabeth--treating yourself to new tea!

KUTGW!

We're here for you!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #325

{{{Elizabeth}}}

What kinda tea did you get?? I'm drinking Celestial Seasonings Peppermint right now!!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Still having angry feelings. I think anger is the feeling I have the most trouble with. Any good books anyone can recommend on this subject?

I bought Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice. I love this. It is spicy hot....kind of like red hots candy.

I also bought Celestial Seasonings Almond Sunset. It's categorized as a "Dessert Tea." Very, very good.

Both are good sweetened. I recommend both. Now I need to figure out how to fit them into my "tea schedule".

Still at 188. Calories go up, calories go down. I'm just going to stay the course.

Still meeting my exercise goal, coffee goal, and shower goal.

NE Ohio is under a winter storm advisory. I wish I didn't need to go out in it today. Youngest daughter has a doctor's appt. They called and moved the appt. up. That should tell you how bad the weather is.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #327

We're due a storm too Elizabeth .... no snow yet though, lol!!! It's supposed to be another ice storm, but I refuse to believe the weatherman!!

I definitely have to try the bengal spice!! I love spicy!!!

I have ordered another book after ditching that Diet Cure one ... I'll let you know if it's any good and whether there is any help in it for anger ... It is on binge eating, so I am gonna bet there is info on anger too.

We'll get through all this crap!!! Yes we will!!!

Pauline
Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Still having angry feelings. I think anger is the feeling I have the most trouble with.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Why are you angry?[/COLOR]

Still at 188. Calories go up, calories go down. I'm just going to stay the course.

Still meeting my exercise goal, coffee goal, and shower goal.
Great job!
KUTGW, Elizabeth!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I definitely have to try the bengal spice!! I love spicy!!!

If you love spicy, then definitely get Bengal Spice.

Ingredients: cinnamon, roasted chicory, roasted carob, natural spice and vanilla flavors with other natural flavors, finger, cardamom, black pepper, cloves, nutmeg

Quote:
I have ordered another book after ditching that Diet Cure one ... I'll let you know if it's any good and whether there is any help in it for anger ... It is on binge eating, so I am gonna bet there is info on anger too.

We'll get through all this crap!!! Yes we will!!!

Pauline
Thanks for the encouragement. I just wish I could get through the crap faster. LOL
Old 02-13-2008, 09:06 AM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momov2boys View Post
Why are you angry?
Great job!
KUTGW, Elizabeth!
I felt belittled by a doctor.

I had an argument with my husband.

But not dealing with anger in general has been a theme of mine. I don't like the feeling....I don't know how to deal with it.....Being angry when I grew up was being disrespectful......I feel like I'm not a "good girl" when I get angry. I don't want to rock the boat.....It's easier to stuff the anger down with food (well not really, because look where it got me.)

Thanks for the