LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
WATCH-ME'S Goal Seeking Journal

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, I've decided to begin a journal here, even though I keep one in ******. It may be easier to seek guidance if others are allowed to track my strategies in an organized, chronological fashion....and heaven knows, I'll need others' guidance!

I've named this journal: WMS Goal Seeking Journal, because I want to name at the outset my goals in my weight loss journey as of today. They are:

1. To reach my goal weight;
2. To reduce body fat; and
3. To learn to eat healthy carbs again w/o the fear of gaining weight.

These goals are not in any particular order, I just listed them that way. It's likely I'll achieve one before the others. It matters not to me.

I began on May 5, 2006, with a new WOE approach, a modified form of carb cycling using some of the BFFM principles. I say modified, because I cannot go from my normal ratio of 60% fat to 20-30% fat and expect to stick to this new WOE. I believe in baby steps. I believe in finding what works for the individual, adapting that into an individualized plan, and tweaking 'til ya get it right.

I'm allowing myself one or two high-calorie-high-fat-low carb days per week (65% fat avg, 30 or less carb grams), and the rest of the days I am eating more carbs, more protein, less calories and less fat.

I've had some bumps so far, a learning lesson: I cannot drastically reduce fat all at once. Check.

As of today (2 wks and 1 day), I'm down 1.5 lbs on the scale. I have never had my body fat measured, and I'm eager to get that done asap.

So far, I have had amazing control. I've gotten through TOM with no weight gain -- well, okay, .5 lb -- whoopee! NOTHING compared to my normal TOM's of a minimum of 3-5+ lbs gained. So this in itself is an accomplishment.

On my carb up days, most of my more complex carbs (oats, All Bran, even fruit.) will be eaten early in the day. I am a morning workout person, and that will work best.

I am hoping that this will help kick-start my metabolism to allow the scale to start moving again. I've been losing/gaining the same 2-3 lbs since mid February, and it's time for a change.

I have a lot to learn. I appreciate all the help I've received from the kind people on these boards who are going through what I am, who've been there and learned, and who are gracious enough to share their experiences and tips with me. Thank you....you know who you are.

I am really excited about this. I feel great. I feel lean....yes, LEAN! It's a feeling I have been noticing since I began....and it continues. This just may be what I need to finally.......finally.....oh, please....finally get to goal.

So here goes.

Today so far, my menu (I've already planned it for the day) will be these ratios:

42% protein
22% carbs
36% fat

1297 calories, 78 carbs

78 carbs. 78 C-A-R-B-S! I still cannot believe I'm eating twice the carbs I'm used to eating.

I feel wonderful today. Life is good.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 05-20-2006 at 12:29 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shrcpr
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: October 2003
I see you started your journal! Looking forward to reading about your progress, too!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #3

Shari,

I figured it would be easiest to track my progress, esp if I need others' input!

Like yours?

We can keep each other on track and honest, K?

I've had a great day today. I've eaten everything on plan and I feel really good. Great workout this morning.

Another day down.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:53 AM   #4

Weight the same today. Always fear stepping on that monster....but honestly, armed with the knowledge I've gained through tweaking, it's really not as daunting to me now as it used to be. It's not about scale weight. It's REALLY not.

Today is Sunday, and last Sunday was a higher fat/low carb day for me (induction levels basically), but today I'm doing the higher carb/lower fat, which sort of has me stumped. (I don't work out till afternoons on Sunday.)

Simple Sugars - most fruits, all fruit juices, yogurt, candy bar, and soda.
Complex Carbs - potato, pasta, beans, rice, and oatmeal.
Fibrous Carbs - broccoli, celery, lettuce, and apples.

Still clinging to the fear of carbs, i.e., eating them at the wrong times, I thought about having steel cut oats for breakfast (complex) with a few berries and sm amt of protein, but I won't be able to work out until this afternoon, and I thought: Oh, no! Those carbs will just sit there and won't be burned and will turn into fat.

Get over it, Twyla.

Go eat your oats and go to church and have a good day. Life will go on, and it will be good.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 05-21-2006 at 04:54 AM..
Old 05-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #5

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
Hey hon, I got your back! I do NOT know alot about what you are talking about, but I'm behind ya! You know I do eat good carbs, and JUST started seriously exercising so I'm a major newbie in this area.

Seek the guidance of Jackie, Julia, TaDa, KajunDC, and others who do this. They are very successful and I know they'll help!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #6

Thanks, Allie... but actually YOU have helped too, you know. So many have!

By the way, I've never asked you this, but do you know about how many calories and carbs you eat per day for maintenance? And if you gain a few lbs, what do you do to tweak to be in losing mode again?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #7

Calories-- between 1300 and uh........... 2500. Like yesterday was probably 2500 cause we went to Outback last night. I still ate low carb though.... yogurt, brocolli, steak, a crab cake (probably not the lowest carb item), etc. I truly have no idea as to a carb count. Seriously, look at TaDa's journal. It is amazing. Usually I gain a few when:
*I am at that horrible time in my cycle, after TOM and during ovulation
*I eat very late, like last night I didnt' eat dinner till 9pm and usually I eat dinner like 4pm with a snack at 5:30-6

Nothing much you can do about the hormone cycle (except ttapp is supposed to help with it so I am anxious to see), and I don't eat heavy and late like that often at all.

Alot of times I'll do yogurt days but lately I have not been able to because of crazy feelings of 'dieting' (no doubt due to all the crazy talk in the main lobby).
If I do a 'yogurt day', I end up having nuts, seeds, meat etc too so it ends up not really being a yogurt day anyway. I refuse to go down that 'diet' path.

213.5/147/135, 160 original goal, Maintenance
Size 22/6-8/8 5'5", Age 41
Started 5/23/03
"YES, YOU CAN!"
Surgically Hypothyroid since 11/2002
Old 05-21-2006, 04:12 PM   #8

Had a good day. Got in a 25-minute cardio workout. No weights today. Stayed active a good hour or more cleaning the back screened porch, vacuuming, hosing, etc.

Dinner was awesome, but maybe a bit high on the fat ratio:

Salmon Pinwheel (with feta cheese, spinach and roasted red peppers)
Fresh veggies sauted in a bit of olive oil, garlic and ginger (Zucchini, sliced
Mushrooms, Sl of red onion, Red peppers)
1.5 ounces of chicken breast

37P, 12C, 50F .... 378 calories

The Salmon Pinwheel was on sale at the grocery store, and looked so delicious -- I saw the protein grams, 24!!! , and grabbed it....how I love salmon! Then when I got home, I saw the fat grams (16) per serving, and 270 calories per serving. I guess the feta cheese added some of the fat per serving.

Ratios so far today: 44P, 16C, 40F, with total of 62 carbs, 1375 calories.

I may eat some yogurt later this evening if I get hungry, with some C/S Chai decaf....yum!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:06 AM   #9

Monday, May 22.

Weight 146.5

Yesterday's menu ratios:

Calories: 1498
Protein% 42
Carbs % 15
Fat % 37

Grams: Prot, 149; Carbs, 62, Fat, 58

I enjoyed 1.5 ounces of alcohol last night with DH, which I included in my daily allowances, making sure to eat a wee bit of protein with (.5 to 1 oz), and it was worth it. It was my only indulgence for the weekend.

Weight the same today. No cravings to date. Feeling very satisfied. Feeling lean. Life is still good.

It is 11:00 a.m., and so far my ratios for the day are:

44P, 21C, 25F. I've had a pre w/o meal, post w/o meal, and a snack. Total of 594 calories.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #10

I'm posting my homework for the day regarding good carbs: This will be a handy place to review this, if necessary:

[COLOR=SeaGreen]There are 3 types of carbohydrates. There are simple sugars, complex (starchy) carbs, and fibrous carbs. An example of each is as follows:

Simple Sugars - most fruits, all fruit juices, yogurt, candy bar, and soda.
Complex Carbs - potato, pasta, beans, rice, and oatmeal.
Fibrous Carbs - broccoli, celery, lettuce, and apples.
Now, how all of this relates to how your body reacts to these foods is based upon what is known as the Glycemic Index (GI). The GI is basically a table that helps us determine how quickly your digestive system can breakdown carbs to be released in to the blood stream. The faster they breakdown, the quicker your glucose levels increase in the blood.. The table starts at 0 and goes to 100. Between 0-50 foods take time to digest, while 50-100 foods breakdown fairly to extremely fast. Here are some examples:

Apple - 35-45
Peanuts - 25-35
Wheat and White Bread 80-100
Grapes - 60-80
Donuts, French Fries, Cheerios, Grape Juice, corn chips - 100+
As you can see, the last few foods exceed 100. This means that they breakdown very fast, thus, increasing your blood sugar fast. Most high glycemic foods are simple sugars and complex carbs. But this does not mean that those kinds of carbs are bad for you.

Interestingly, most high glycemic carbs are foods that are packaged, fried, come in a bag, squeezed in a bottle, come in a can, a plastic wrapper, etc. I think you get the point. In other words- JUNK FOOD! Though potatoes and bananas are high on the GI, most people do not over indulge themselves with these types of foods. Also, the junk food carbs have no nutritional value and in many cases are loaded with additional calories from fat.

Naturally occurring higher GI foods that are natural (meaning that they have not been processed) are usually very good for you and are not loaded with fat, especially saturated fat. However, this does not mean you can consume huge amounts of them and you have to be careful as to what time of day you eat them.

To help you understand, a banana with some oatmeal is good for breakfast as they will get your blood sugar up to get you going. As the day progresses, you need to consume less simple and complex carbs. Instead, you will begin to increase your consumption of fibrous carbs, which are low on the GI. Here's an example of how it might go:

Breakfast - Oatmeal and/or Banana
Snack - Apple or Grapes
Lunch - Salad
Snack - Peanuts
Dinner - Mixed Vegetable [/COLOR]

I've been careful to not eat any simple or complex carbs after 3:00 p.m. For dinner I had grilled salmon steak, sauted veggies in a wee bit of olive oil (peppers, mushrooms, onions) tossed onto one cup of shredded lettuce.

My next assignment is to research the GI list.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:42 PM   #11

Why I need to be selective about the simple/complex carbs I eat, and at what times of the day, e.g., after most of my activity for the day is done:

After we eat carbohydrate-rich foods, our digestive process breaks them down, eventually turning them into glucose, which enters the bloodstream. (Since most proteins and fats from food are not turned into glucose in this way; they have little effect on glucose levels.)

The presence of glucose in the bloodstream triggers the production of insulin, a hormone that helps glucose get into cells where it can be used for energy. Once our immediate energy needs have been met, any extra glucose still remaining in the bloodstream will first be stored in our muscles and liver for later use. If our muscle and liver stores of glucose are full, but we still have extra glucose floating around in our blood, then insulin helps the body store it as fat.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #12

Tuesday. Day 19 of new WOE. Weight the same.

Yesterday's menu ratios:

Calories: 1733
Protein % 41 (168 gr)
Carbs% 13 (65 gr)
Fat % 46 (85 gr)

Not exactly the right balance, but it is what it is! Still feeling great, leaner, "balanced" (for lack of a better word), and "fueled."

Amazing revelation: Today was my cardio/weights day. I alternate jogging with my elliptical machine on cardio days. Today I decided to jog. There's a point on my jog route where I most always have to stop to catch my breath, power walk for about a minute or two, then begin again. I'm usually anxious to get to that "rest point," out of breath, where-is-it, can't wait to get there, etc.

This morning.... .... I was like the frickin' Energizer Bunny....I just kept going, and going, and going! WOOOOOOOOT! I'm thinking, ok, any minute now I'm going to need to stop and walk to get my breath. I think I jogged another 5 more minutes before I stopped, but only briefly, maybe 60 seconds, if that, then began jogging again.

Awesome workout....jogged for 30 minutes, the air felt cold on my legs, invigorating.....I think if I didn't have to go to work, I'd still be jogging!

More carbs?

Better balance?

Who cares. Whatever it is, I'm LOVING IT!!!!!!!

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 05-23-2006 at 07:10 AM..
Old 05-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ctdiver
Stats: 198.7/164.4/148.7
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2006
Hi Twyla!

This is a great journal, lots of good info. The picture of you in the first post is beautiful, btw!

You mentioned buying some salmon, but being worried about how much fat is in it. I'm sure the cheese added some fat, but salmon is high fat too, and it's a good thing! Venuto, even with his relatively low-fat ideas, is a huge fan of salmon, and lists it as an "A+" food to be eaten often. Since you're still doing pretty low-carb, I would just gobble up that salmon!

I'll be checking back on your progress!

Crystal
Old 05-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: veronicac
Stats: 225/180/150
WOE: atkins/Hcg diet
Start Date: 5/20/09
Twyla you look great and seriousely i dont think losing 6 pounds is going you make you look better than you already do you look fantastic
Old 05-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #15

Hey, Crystal!

Thanks for checking up on me....you KNOW i need you to!

Now that you mention it, you're right, salmon is one of those "good" fats (i.e., fish!), and I'm so glad, because I could eat just about every day, if I were so blessed. I really love it! Thanks for that reminder!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicac
Twyla you look great and seriousely i dont think losing 6 pounds is going you make you look better than you already do you look fantastic
Veronica, Sweetie, thank you so much! What a nice thing to say!

Old 05-24-2006, 06:08 AM   #17

Wednesday. Weight same, 146.5

Hmmm.

Okay.

Yesterday's ratios:

Calories: 1355
49% p
19% C
32% F

45 fat grams
73 carb grams
156 protein grams

Enjoyed a rice cake with 1.5 tsp of nat PB and 1/3 c l/f cottage cheese.....really tasty! That was my dessert after dinner. Extremely satisfying.

I'm gonna up calories today, and fat, low on the carb side.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:13 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ctdiver
Stats: 198.7/164.4/148.7
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Wednesday. Weight same, 146.5

Hmmm.

Okay.

Yesterday's ratios:

Calories: 1355
49% p
19% C
32% F

45 fat grams
73 carb grams
156 protein grams

Enjoyed a rice cake with 1.5 tsp of nat PB and 1/3 c l/f cottage cheese.....really tasty! That was my dessert after dinner. Extremely satisfying.

I'm gonna up calories today, and fat, low on the carb side.
I think my ratios were almost identical to yours yesterday!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:38 AM   #19

Crystal,

That's ALWAYS good to hear....you're keeping me on track, girl!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #20

As of today, based on measurements/figures from the Body Tracker website, my BMR is 1464, and my TDEE is 2270.

That's as far as I've gotten.

Now I gotta figure out how many calories I should shoot for daily to lose weight and/or body fat.

A math genius, I'm not.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #21
princess of power

Gallery: SugarDoll
WOE: stop dieting, start living!
Start Date: every day is a winding road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK
As of today, based on measurements/figures from the Body Tracker website, my BMR is 1464, and my TDEE is 2270.

That's as far as I've gotten.

Now I gotta figure out how many calories I should shoot for daily to lose weight and/or body fat.

A math genius, I'm not.
but a hottie you are, for sure
Old 05-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #22

Thank you, Sugar Doll! :blush:

(Just love that web name!)

****** today:

1855 calories

43% P
32% F
25% C

Today was a "carb up, calorie up" day. Tomorrow I'll return to lower carbs/calories.

We'll see what "zig-zagging" does.........

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 05-24-2006 at 06:36 PM..
Old 05-25-2006, 06:03 AM   #23

Thursday. Day 21. Weight the same, 146.5

I'm beginning to think my scale is STUCK/BROKEN. It's not.

(sigh)

Yesterday, my carb-up, calorie-up day. Today, back to lower fat, mod carbs, mod calories.

Today was cardio day. Lifted weights (upper body mostly) for 30 straight minutes, no rests, circuit style from muscle group to muscle group....almost like a cardio workout in itself. Then 30 mins on the elliptical, intervals. Very soggy at the end!
Old 05-26-2006, 04:47 AM   #24

Friday. Day 22. 145.5. WOO-HOO!

Yesterday's macro/ratios:

Calories: 1677
49% P 195gr
17% C 75 gr
35% F 61 gr

I'm so thrilled! I am loving this WOE. Please let this feeling last!

WHAT A FEELING!

[COLOR=DarkOrange]First, when there's nothing but a slow glowing dream (GOAL/FITNESS)
That your fear seems to hide deep inside your mind (CARBS, WEIGHT GAIN, CRAVINGS).....

Well I hear the music, close my eyes, feel the rhythm ...
Wrap around, take a hold of my heart .......

What a feeling!
Bein's believin'
I can have it all!
Now I'm dancin' for my life ......!!!!!

Take your passion, and make it happen
Pictures come alive, you can dance right through your life

Now I hear the music...............
..............In a flash it takes hold of my heart

Now I'm dancing through my life!!!!!!!!!!!

What a feeling !!!
[/COLOR]

I know I can do this.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:48 AM   #25

Saturday. Day 23. 146.5. Up one pound. Sort of expected it.... :blush:

Went to Karaoke at the golf club last nite with friends...awesome time....had 3 beers, balanced it with a bit of lean protein, so NO CRAVINGS.... A bit high on overall calories for the day....well, all right, way high for me. I guess according to BFFM rules, this is an acceptable range for a "cheat" day, althought I don't plan on incorporating cheat days into my WOE on a regular basis, as suggested. So maybe I'll be safe.

Gonna hit the cardio/weights hard this morning, circuit style. Can't wait. Thank goodness, I'm addicted to exercise....what a feeling!

Ratios for yesterday: (They're actually great macros, in black and white!)

Calories: 2303 !!!

35% P 194 gr
16% C 101 gr !!!
25% F 61 gr
Old 05-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #26

Okay. It's Sunday. I'm starting to get confused ... maybe I'm making this more complicated than I should, but nevertheless.

On Saturday (yesterday), due to the 1 lb gain (water?), I did 40 mins of cardio mixed with 20-25 mins of weights, circuit style, no resting, really hard workout. Great. Seemed to be hungry on and off throughout the day, maybe my meals weren't balanced, not enuf fat?

Later that night, DH and I took a jog, ran for 22 mins. About 40 mins later, 9:30 pm or so, felt really hungry.

Should I have eaten protein at this point, carbs, fat? It's late, and I'm hungry, yet I just worked out, and wasn't sure what to eat, but knew I didn't want to go to bed feeling that hungry. Ended up eating 1/4 c All Bran and 1/4 cup skim milk, a slice of lowfat cheese.

This morning, Sunday, I was still up, same weight, still at 146.5.

So it's been 3 weeks, and I'm technically down 1.5 lbs. This isn't great.

Saturday's ratios:

1913 calories
46% P 208 gr
26% C 136 gr
28% F 51 gr

This was more calories than I planned to eat, but I was hungry and kept eating more mini meals throughout the day yesterday. It appears that my fat may have been too low, so I kept eating to try to get full.

Need to watch that more closely.

Today I've already eaten too much. Did not work out -- on purpose. Want to take a rest. Weekend activities has a lot to do with it, baseball games, picnics, etc. Not easy !
Old 05-28-2006, 05:09 PM   #27

Twyla your body is so TIGHT already... maybe your bod is satisfied at it's current weight?

I know for a FACT tomorrow is gonna be a CALORIE UP day for me!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:06 AM   #28

Monday. Not weighing today. Not ready for another disappointment. Think I'll wait till Friday, the designated "weekly weigh-in" day.

Not giving up on this WOE until I give it full 6 weeks.

Allie, thanks for the encouraging remark...Made me feel better just reading it.

I'm not sure what to think. It's frustrating to me that no matter what I do, more fat, less fat, more carbs, less carbs, more cardio, more weights. I can't get past 146.

Why is this so hard for ME?

I understand the point about "setpoints," but I don't WANT to weigh 146. I want to get closer to my goal weight of 140-142. Four pounds makes a big difference in clothes, the way you feel, etc.

On the other hand, my clothes are all too loose. I have no shorts that fit, my newest pair are already too big. Okay. Losing inches, gaining muscle?

If so???? I want to see it in black and white. Prove it.

So I guess it's time to order the accumeasure and knowing for sure.

Today is Callanetics day, but can't do it.... .....too many interruptions with my family awake and in my face. I'll go do 30 mins of cardio then head to the pool.

Enuf calorie up days for me....basically 3 in a row, though all legal. Time to get focused.

Sunday's Ratios:

Calories 1998

37% P (175 gr)
16% C (96 gr)
35% F

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 05-29-2006 at 07:13 AM..
Old 05-29-2006, 03:06 PM   #29

I've done well balancing my meals today, with the aim of keeping them from 300-350 calories each.

So far, so good.

Worrying less about keeping fat ratios as low. As long as they're 40-42% or less, I'm good with that.

Calories for the next four days will be more important, that and balance. Going to keep them at 1600 or under for M, W and F, 1800 or under T, Th and Saturday.

I'm really enjoying the added healthy carbs I've been eating....so delicious!

I don't think it's helped that I've had beer the last three days. I usually limit alcohol to Fridays only. With weekend festivities, get-togethers with other couples, went to see a minor league game (hot!), it just was so tempting.

Back on track today and looking forward to good results back Friday.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #30

Monday Evening:

Totals as of 6:55 pm (Meals 1, 2, 3 & 4)

Cals 1500, 42P, 24C, 34F
97 gr carbs, 150 gr protein
Closed Thread