Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #2821
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Twyla, we are on the same schedule - I got my raging-regrowth taken care of. Nothing like a little pampering at the salon yes?

I love to hear about your hungries, only because I learn much from reading how you control them. Good job Little T.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #2822
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post
Twyla, we are on the same schedule - I got my raging-regrowth taken care of. Nothing like a little pampering at the salon yes?

I love to hear about your hungries, only because I learn much from reading how you control them. Good job Little T.
Yes, yes, yes! Pamper away! Esp THIS time of year, right? We need the extra pampering when our world seems more dismal from winter and such.

As for my hungries, I can't ALWAYS control them, is the problem. Yesterday, my plan was to eat, feed the monster, just try to keep it clean, kwim? I didn't WANT to eat that many calories, but I had to weigh my dilemma. I could either completely blow it and eat high carbs AND high calories, or I could eat maintenance level cals (for the second day in a row ) and try to avoid the carby crap. So that was my strategy YESTERDAY.

I knew it was gonna be a bad day when right after showering and getting dressed, post workout, I'm descending the stairs and my stomach is ROARING FOR FUEL. Wham! Huge hunger attack first thing. And it kept coming all day long!

Today's plan is to try to eat higher fat (ketogenic) and ample protein, keeping carbs as low as possible. Eggs are a miracle food for me in that regard. They're more filling to me than most other things. Hoping for a better day.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #2823

I save articles of interest from my Oxygen magazine in a loose-leaf binder. I was going back over one last night that I had saved summer before last regarding stretching. I was reminded that stretching isn't just essential for flexibility and injury prevention.

My dedication to Callanetics has helped me in this regard; I just need to be more consistent with working a bit of Callanetics in throughout the week -- all week -- and it may help my overall fitness.

I ended up switching to an UB split this morning (delts and triceps) after some TJ Cardio. I wanted to push it this morning, lift a bit heavier. So I tried incorporating brief stretches during sets. It was good to have read that article before bed last night. Good and timely reminder.

Quote:

STRETCH FOR STRENGTH

A recent study from Brigham Young University may convince you of just how integral stretching really is to your overall fitness level. In fact, doing something as easy as stretching may just make you stronger. Researchers compared a control group of men and women to a group of men and women who performed 40 minutes of static stretching three times a week for ten weeks. At the end of the ten weeks the control group’s flexibility did not improve while the static stretching group improved overall by 18 percent. On one exercise in particular, the stretching group’s strength significantly improved their strength by more than 30 percent -- the leg extension. The study showed that a regular routine of static stretching could help you maintain muscular strength, power and muscular endurance even in the absence of a strength-training program. Incorporate one stretch for each major muscle group at the end of your workouts; hold each stretch for 15 to 20 seconds and stretch at least three times a week to maximize your results.

Oxygen August 2008
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #2824
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingwell
Hi Twyla...hope that knee of yours is on the mend. I'm in need of a kick in the rear--"giving in" to things that are really counterproductive for mental and physical health. It is always good to stop by here for some inspiration!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #2825

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingwell View Post
Hi Twyla...hope that knee of yours is on the mend. I'm in need of a kick in the rear--"giving in" to things that are really counterproductive for mental and physical health. It is always good to stop by here for some inspiration!

GW, I know. I've been where you are countless times. We all have. We just "keep swimming," kwim?

Maybe rather than giving in, you can try manipulating your hunger hormones.

Sometimes we eat not because we're hungry, but because we're craving. And sometimes it's both.

Either way, I suppose if we tried hard enough, we could outsmart both hunger AND cravings by way of a little manipulation.

Carb rotations
Calorie cycling
More frequent meals throughout the day
Balanced meals
More fiber in our meals (4-5 g per meal is ideal)
More water
More fat and less carbs
Exercise
Retail therapy

What do you think? Would any of these work for you?

I'm gonna outsmart my ghrelin hormone today if it kills me. That sucker is messin' with the wrong woman today.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #2826
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
retail therapy!!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #2827
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
Great article T, your right we all need some pampering bet your hair looks great.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #2828

Tried taking this pic of my hair. Shows last night's highlighting.
Daisy, I do my own highlights. It's less painful, both to my head AND to my wallet.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food View Post
Great article T, your right we all need some pampering bet your hair looks great.
TBF, LOOK AT YOUR HAIR! I really love that style on you, and the bangs! Very cute!

SEXY REDHEAD YOU!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #2830

TUES SUMMARY:

Less hungry today, but not completely back to "in control" levels. Had to fight it. Just ate a few slices of roasted turkey, not accounted for in totals.

Low carb all day. Stayed on plan. Busy day.

TOTALS

CALS.......1682
PROT........149
CARBS........41
FIBER...........7
FAT..........102

WORKOUTS:

20 MINS TURBO JAM
25 MINS UB SPLIT (DELTS & TRICEPS)
25 MINS CARDIO ELLIPTICAL (4 MINS WU/18 MINS HIIT INTERVALS/2 MINS COOLDOWN)
Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #2831
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanx T, I love your hair too it turned out so well beautiful colour so radiant makes you glow. When I see people with beautiful long hair I want mines long, but when its long I want it short, I cant win lol the grass isnt always greener
Old 02-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #2832

Quote:
Thanx T, I love your hair too it turned out so well beautiful colour so radiant makes you glow. When I see people with beautiful long hair I want mines long, but when its long I want it short, I cant win lol the grass isnt always greener
TBF, Backatcha...and ya know what, I'm the same way. I see short styles all the time and wanna try them out. I've waited so long to allow my hair time to grow out, I'm gonna keep this style for a while longer though. The thing about short styles, they're far more versatile than ya think. I'm big on "product" -- can't help being a victim, my husband works in the industry -- and if you experiment with styling products, you can turn one style into a myriad of looks. I use a different product on my hair just about every day, depending on my mood, the weather, how my hair is cooperating that day, what I'm wearing, where I'm gonna be for that day. My sink top is a bouquet of products. Don't be afraid to try a few and experiment.

I love your red hair though. Fitting ... Sweet Irish Child.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #2833
Senior LCF Member

Hi Twyla...yes, retail therapy seems like a good option right now!

Actually, I'm really "sold" on the fact that my blood sugar levels are also a factor in this. I have been taking a LOT of b.s. readings....doing little tests and I'm going to see an endo in a few weeks. I DID see one endo, but he was a class-A JERK! A dietician was able to give me a referral to a good one who does not require a referral from my PCP.

I'm going to hijack your journal and put some results in here and see if anybody who follows your journal has some advice...

Yesterday, I did my own "carb challenge" in the morning. I always have a little caffeine when I wake up, then I do cardio...after exercise yesterday, my blood sugar was 74. I had 70 grams of potato (quick-acting carb) and 30 min later it was 164 and it stayed at 170 at an hour...but at 2 hours, it was down to 75 again.

Today I was 65 after exercise...I challenged myself with FEWER carbs (50 grams of carbs in the mashed potato)....at 30 min I was 126 and at 1-hour I was back down to 63...so up quickly then back down quickly.

I also tested myself with a "mixed" meal yesterday--75g carb, 12g fat, 24 g protein, and 24 g fiber (yep...in 2 low carb tortillas...each 12 g fiber!) and I STILL went up 60 points in 30 min and down about 50 points by 1 hour.

So, I seem to hit my max b.s. in 30 min and then drop quickly...and I think this is a piece of this puzzle. But, what do I know....afterall, it IS only MY body, right??

Okay, sorry to take up so much space.

Thank you for being YOU and for not EVER giving up on people!!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:22 AM   #2834
Big Yapper!!!!

T....its awesome you get to experiment with all them lovely products must save you a fortune and long hair you can do so many styles with, after growing your hair all this time would be a shame to ever cut it!!! I love it, I have my own share of products I buy so many things I could start a shop lol I agree its great to experiement and do things to match your mood and clothes in such! I hated being a redhead gorwing up but I like it now makes me different I guess were only 1% of the population a dying breed lol

Couch to 5K graduate 2nd April 2010
callanetics..97 hours total!45.5 inches lost, 78lbs lost, 19 miles ran/walked for July
"the steeper the mountain the harder the climb the better the view from the finishing line"!
<---that lil cutie pie is my 1 y/o niece

sans
Old 02-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #2835

WED

Day from PRE-TOM HELL.

I ate four bags of M & M's for dinner

I'm an idiot.

Nuff said.

Good night all.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #2836
Senior LCF Member

Twyla,
You are NOT an idiot...you are human. Give yourself a hug and stop beating yourself up. Hormones are evil.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #2837

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingwell View Post
Twyla,
You are NOT an idiot...you are human. Give yourself a hug and stop beating yourself up. Hormones are evil.
Amen, Sistah!

I usually try to take extra supplements about a week before TOM -- which is when the cravings and hormones wreak havoc -- but apparently my cycles are screwed up, because this came out of nowhere. That explains why I've been SO DAMN HUNGRY the last few days.

Yesterday though...wow...hit me like a ton of bricks, the cravings.

I ate the entire package of this..........(they're so sensuously yummy and oh-so-pretty!!)

... the equivalent of 4 reg bags of M&M's, declared that that would be my "dinner" and I'd have no more food.

Not.

On top of that, I had cookies, a small bowl of icecream, a bowl of cereal and a handful of pretzels. Oh, and two salads, yes, let's not forget those nice, green healthy salads.

At the time I dove into the M*M's, I had about 1200 cals. I quit counting from that point forward.

Suffice to say, it was a HIGH day for me. :blush:

GW, you're right, and I've been reminded/chastised by others as well that one day does not mean the end of my world. Right. Got that.

Today is a new day. I already feel more controlled than I did at this same time yesterday morning. Maybe the storm has passed.

Let's hope.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #2838
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: kelley17
Stats: 175/160/125
WOE: Finding My Way
Start Date: 5/5/10
Just popping in to say Hi! Surgery went well, but ended up with some kind of illness Sun - Tues. Felt better Wed and then school was cancelled because of snow! Back at work and feeling better. Getting ready for the big snow that will hit tomorrow.

PS - It is nice to know that you are human. I know you are right back on that horse!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #2839
Big Yapper!!!!

Damn they look good, my cycle also the last few months has been all over the place I had serious mood swings this week lasting 4 days was in a complete downer wasnt sure why as it is never this bad then realized it had to be PMS and a week early at that, it hits out of no where it's hard to control your right one slip up isnt the end of your years of hard work, keep your chin up, and kick that carb monster into touch have a good day T.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #2840

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley17 View Post
Just popping in to say Hi! Surgery went well, but ended up with some kind of illness Sun - Tues. Felt better Wed and then school was cancelled because of snow! Back at work and feeling better. Getting ready for the big snow that will hit tomorrow.

PS - It is nice to know that you are human. I know you are right back on that horse!

Kelley......you've had a crappy week+ ..... How you deserve some TLC.

And that snow? OMG...you guys are getting more than we are, I understand! Is there a vaccine for cabin fever?

Yes, Kelley, so very human. I screw up plenty. But I try to be resilient as best I can.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #2841

Quote:
Damn they look good, my cycle also the last few months has been all over the place I had serious mood swings this week lasting 4 days was in a complete downer wasnt sure why as it is never this bad then realized it had to be PMS and a week early at that, it hits out of no where it's hard to control your right one slip up isnt the end of your years of hard work, keep your chin up, and kick that carb monster into touch have a good day T.
They WERE!

They were amazingly delectable!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #2842
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post

Tried taking this pic of my hair. Shows last night's highlighting.
Daisy, I do my own highlights. It's less painful, both to my head AND to my wallet.

You are so adorable! Seriously - you are lovely.

I wish I only needed highlights. I have to have a skunk stripe covered every THREE WEEKS! Lots of gray going on over here.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #2843
Major LCF Poster!

You have PRODUCT ALL THE TIME?? New product? You are a spoiled beast! lol

I love product. I am a product ****. I am on the never-ending search for the perfect thing for my contentious hair.

I am so jealous!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post
You have PRODUCT ALL THE TIME?? New product? You are a spoiled beast! lol

I love product. I am a product ****. I am on the never-ending search for the perfect thing for my contentious hair.

I am so jealous!

Thank you, Daisy.

SKUNK STRIPE? Silly girl! Yes, I have "product." It is very cool trying out all the new stuff as it gets introduced. I sometimes forget what I have and don't have. It's fun playing around with that stuff. I'd share with you if I could!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #2845

Thursday Update:

Okay. The storm had passed today. Calm waters all day. Fought hunger just a bit from time to time, but very manageable.

Not knowing what to expect, I decided not to track, just to eat on plan and feed the beast if I needed to.

42 mins of cardio this morning, five sets of 20 pushups. Was hoping to get in some weight training tonight, but I've been running errands and putting out little fires.

May or may not happen before bed.

All in all, good day.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #2846

FRIDAY FEB 6

It's been a very dreary day. Gotham City Gray.

It's been cold and rainy all day. Taking it in stride.

Would love to sit in front of a fire for the rest of the day/evening.

The rain should begin changing to snow around 5:00 pm.

Got in a very decent total body training workout this morning, with stretching between sets. I've had a little struggle with hunger today, but manageable. Holding my own. Low carb the plan for today.

Finding (then embracing) my balance.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #2847
Big Yapper!!!!

Happy Friday T, hope you get to relax in front of a lovely blazing fire all wrapped up. Welldone fighting the hunger I guess am in for a few of them days too until am back in ketosis
Old 02-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #2848

Quote:
Happy Friday T, hope you get to relax in front of a lovely blazing fire all wrapped up. Welldone fighting the hunger I guess am in for a few of them days too until am back in ketosis
We can fight it, TBF.
The mind is a powerful tool.
Let's let the mental trump the physical today, K?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #2849

Updating Friday:

I didn't track all day on Friday, since I ate things that I wasn't certain of their exact counts, but I ate on plan all day and stayed very controlled. Hunger actually decreased as the day/evening wore on.

I did indulge in a few glasses of wine. No issues there.

Today will be all cardio and abs. I wanna feel the burn on my abs like I did last week. That felt great.

Low carb again today. Making up for my midweek transgressions.

I woke up to discover only a slight covering of snow...wth? Biggest snow storm in 90 years, huh? Oh, well...guess we missed that one in our neck of the woods. Our mountains got nailed, however. Snowshoe is loving it. Ka-ching.

Gonna take in a matinee movie this afternoon.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #2850
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Danipower714
Stats: 217 (high during pregnancy)/175/160 for now
WOE: South Beach inspired
The SNOWPOCALYPSE!!!

Have a great Saturday at the movies!
Closed Thread