LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #2641
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola001 View Post
Hi Twyla- Happy new year!- those pics are great - you look so energised and ready for life.

I've been reading your journal to keep up and been slowly getting on with my plan. I dropped in today for some advice. I'm currently on Atkins OWL and I've added mountain bike riding and callenetics as my new exercises for this year. However, I bought and read Bill Phillips Body for life over the holidays with the intention of adding some strength training to my programme.

He has a different eating plan that involves 6 small meals and it is a lot carbier than I would like to eat. Previously when I tried to eat 6 meals a day (Patrick Holford and a fitness expert) I ended up putting on a whole lot of weight as I was not able to control my eating and portion sizes. With Atkins I have been able to get my eating down to 3 real meals a day and no snacking and it works for me. My Q is: Do you think I could eat 3 real meals a day ala Atkins way and follow his training plan and not lose muscle mass? *
I know that if you are going to follow a plan you should follow it to the T but I like his workout plan but not his eating plan. Is it worth a shot doing it my way or should I follow the plan (both eating and training)? Sorry for the long exposition.
Hi, Lola. Glad you've stopped by my journal. I've seen your pretty face in Dani's journal, and I'm glad to get to know you and to help you any way I can.

First, congrats on launching into Body for Life...great start! Building LBM is soooooooo pivotal in any worthwhile fitness journey.

* Secondly, to answer your Q: I say try doing it your way, three meals a day with snacks, but make sure that as you do this, you're getting enough protein. Why?

Without sufficient protein, you aren’t going to be able to BUILD muscle. If less than 30% of the cals you eat daily is not protein, you cannot expect to build a lot of muscle. So the right amount of protein daily is very imp, as well as a variety of protein sources so that your body will get all of the amino acids (the building blocks of muscle) it needs to build muscle, and there are many diff types of AA’s. So a variety of sources is your best bet. You can still build muscle with eating the same types of protein all the time, but repetition could also cause a plateau in the gains you make with LBM.

As for supplements, it’s a good idea to begin taking L-Glutamine or Glutamine, an amino acid supplement.

The most critical time to ingest protein is following your training, and the best FORM of protein for that is whey protein. Whey protein is quickly absorbed by our body to help with the recovery of the muscles, which have broken down during your training, and to assist in regrowth.

A good protein to eat at night is a casein protein, because casein is digested more slowly. Cottage cheese is a good ex of a casein protein. This slower-digested form of protein will provide you with a steady supply of protein while you sleep.

So: Sufficient protein. Check.

Re-evaluating your progress in six weeks, you may want to tweak a little, depending on how you FEEL as well as your results.

Best of luck to you. Hope you have a journal (do you?) so that I can be nosey and follow along with you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #2642
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
I'm not sure what I did wrong, but mine didn't turn out exactly the way I was anticipating. I was expecting it to taste similar to a recipe I had tried (and lost) a few years back from the main boards, but it wasn't quite the same. I didn't have as much sausage on hand, so it was lacking in that flavor for one thing. Maybe that was it, I didn't follow the directions as written.
It might not be the thing you are wanting or needing right now. I liked it very much, but I'm really early into eating healthier and the creamy cream cheese along with the snap of the Rotel really did it for me. You might be way beyond this step in your nutrition noshing.

And . . . just to butt in with a comment about your slacking. I have a hard time getting there mentally! But if you want a kick in the pants - get tracking Little T! It's a tool that you love and really helps you stay focused. And your focus is dead on point.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #2643

Daisy, I welcome any and all takers who wish to kick me in the butt...glutton for punishment? Maybe. But that form of corporal chastening always does wonders for my attitude and resolve. Tends to make me want to fight back, KWIM?

Why do you think I chose "Watch Me" as a user name?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #2644
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Tends to make me want to fight back, KWIM?

Why do you think I chose "Watch Me" as a user name?
Watch out peeps! She's a fighter AND a lover!

I wanted to tell you this about my daughter and I working out together: DD2 loves doing the elliptical and crunches, but wasn't fond of doing anything for the arms. She was hanging out with me by the machines and I "encouraged" (read: shamed her into it) her to try at least the tricep and bicep ones.

She got excited a day or so later when her arms were a little sore so last night we really hit it. Exciting to be working out with her.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #2645

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I'm with ya on the Rotel stuff Twyla-I have to add shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw to it or it makes me gag lol. I much prefer Joe's Special or Crackslaw. I have to say you are looking beautiful and fit as ever!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #2646
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
Twyla,

Awesome post about protein! Great info.

I'm one of those people who usually excel if some one tells me I can't do something. Oh yeah? Just watch me!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #2647

Lisa, maybe that's it, maybe that was the one I was thinking of.

Daisy, I posted in your journal re the lifting.

GG, glad you could benefit from the info.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Middle son is leaving to return to college (4 hr drive within minutes) and the roads are icy and snow-covered...

God is in control....He'll watch over him. In this I place all my trust.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #2648
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
Loved your holiday pics.

I want guns like those!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #2649
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: btinc
hmmmm

Put the recipe book down, pull your pants up and get back to business at hand, the middle of April is just around the corner.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #2650

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinc View Post
Put the recipe book down, pull your pants up and get back to business at hand, the middle of April is just around the corner.
I've missed reading your posts! Better listen to the man Twyla!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #2651

Quote:

My hero.

"You know that I could USE somebody..."

Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #2652

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I've missed reading your posts! Better listen to the man Twyla!

Ya think?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #2653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggie View Post
Loved your holiday pics.

I want guns like those!
Thank you, Siggie.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #2654

TUES JAN 5 2010

TOTALS FOR TODAY:

CALS 1419
PROT.....191....54%
CARBS.....64
FIBER......22
FAT.........53

WORKOUTS:

30 MINS CARDIO (TURBO JAM)
25 MINS DELT AND QUAD TRAINING
Old 01-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #2655
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Danipower714
Stats: 217 (high during pregnancy)/175/160 for now
WOE: South Beach inspired
I love Btinc's advice to you! You can do it T!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 AM   #2656

Yes, Dani, agreed. It's solid. That man has never given me any reason to lose trust in anything he has ever said to me.

WED JAN 6

Gonna start the day with some lower body work. My pulled muscle has eased up sufficiently, and I'll just monitor as I progress. Follow up with some light abs then cardio. I may up carbs today slightly.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #2657
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingwell
Hi Twyla,
Hope your day is going well...I'm trying to get back on track...why is it so hard????
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #2658
Major LCF Poster!

How was your son's trip back to school? Did all the white light we sent his way keep him safe?

I live in snow-covered-land always and now that my girls are grown-arse women I have to fight the urge to say, "call me when you get home." It's hard!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #2659
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

WED JAN 6

Gonna start the day with some lower body work. My pulled muscle has eased up sufficiently.
Same groin injury? Increase your stretching time and try to increase your strength of your adductor muscles. Ok have it.

Last edited by btinc; 01-06-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #2660
Senior LCF Member

Tracking food intake

As cumbersome as it might sound, the muscle elite keep daily records of what they consume and when they consume it. They write it all down in a log. This allows them to keep a running tally of their nutritional progress. They establish a long term game plan and keep daily tabs on food and supplement consumption. Tracking results, identifying trends, finding what works, discarding what doesn't, a log becomes your nutritional report card. You can make truly accurate assessments and implement intelligent corrective action when you base your adjustments on factual data and objective analysis. Otherwise it degenerates into wishful thinking and self-delusion.

To all friends of a friend.

Get yourself a big serving of hard work and sacrifice, swallow it down, and digest it.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #2661

GW, some things are just not easy, but we take it one day at a time. Don't look back, don't look ahead, just one day at a time. Let me add to that: Don't focus on your failures (looking back). If you focus on even one hour at a time, or a day at a time, it seems less overwhelming.

Daisy, Thanks for asking about my son Gavin. He made it back safely, thank goodness. Esp since we're expecting even more snow. Heartstrings!

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 01-06-2010 at 11:13 AM..
Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #2662

Quote:
As cumbersome as it might sound, the muscle elite keep daily records of what they consume and when they consume it. They write it all down in a log. This allows them to keep a running tally of their nutritional progress. They establish a long term game plan and keep daily tabs on food and supplement consumption. Tracking results, identifying trends, finding what works, discarding what doesn't, a log becomes your nutritional report card. You can make truly accurate assessments and implement intelligent corrective action when you base your adjustments on factual data and objective analysis. Otherwise it degenerates into wishful thinking and self-delusion.

To all friends of a friend.
Btinc, as always, you're like wind beneath my wings. Thanks for the tips on the stretching and the tracking. I'm taking heed. And I've made a few extra notes in the "diary" section of my ******.

I actually DID stretch longer this morning than usual. I was able to get in some glute work and training with lunges, in addition to the Callanetics and some cardio. Felt good. Eating has gone well today too (and tracking!).
Old 01-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #2663

Quote:
Same groin injury? Increase your stretching time and try to increase your strength of your adductor muscles. Ok have it.

Btinc what is your opinion on foam rolling for a situation like this?

Sorry to threadjack Twyla!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #2664
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Btinc what is your opinion on foam rolling for a situation like this?

Sorry to threadjack Twyla!
Although I have no practical experience with foam rolling, I am all for the massage aspect. It's part of the rehabilitation process of the injured muscle. In this situation a deeper look into what is causing this issue is warranted. Most groin injuries are caused by the muscle being tight and over extended. A groin wrap for stability, stretching and strengthening the muscle is really the only solution.
Back to your original question, yes from what i have seen foam rolling would be a good addition to anyone's routine.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #2665

I'm thinking with my Fibro the foam rolling might be an option to check out. Have you ever tried it Twyla?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #2666

Quote:
I'm thinking with my Fibro the foam rolling might be an option to check out. Have you ever tried it Twyla?
Lisa, I've never even HEARD of the fibro foam thing. Sheltered life? Perhaps. I'll have to investigate.

What he says about the tightness and overextension is self-inflicted for sure. At my age, I should ALWAYS stretch BEFORE doing anything of higher intensity or weight-bearing. I've learned my lesson.

Updating today:

My nutritional report card for today shows that I was hungrier today than yesterday. I purposefully increased carbs to a moderate range, with plans to go back to low for Thursday and Friday. Fat was slightly higher than I wanted it to be; fiber was slightly less than I wanted it to be. Protein, on target.

So I didn’t plan it as carefully as I could have, but it’s close.

TOTALS:

CALS........1843
PROT.........202
CARBS.........90
FIBER..........17
FAT.............79

1 HOUR SUPER CALLANETICS
10 MINS GLUTE WORK AND LUNGES
30 MINS CARDIO, ELLIPTICAL

Old 01-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #2667

There's some youtube videos on foam rolling and there is a great website I got from a fitness forum I post on. I will find it and post back for you if you want. It must be popular cause even Target sells the foam rollers lol.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:45 AM   #2668

Quote:
There's some youtube videos on foam rolling and there is a great website I got from a fitness forum I post on. I will find it and post back for you if you want. It must be popular cause even Target sells the foam rollers lol.
Yes, Lisa, post the link. I'm always open to learning new things. You know what they say, ""Knowledge applied is power, but knowledge unused is useless."
This may come in handy for me, esp since this seems to be a recurring issue for me. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #2669
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Hi Twyla

Glad you found my journal- I was finding out how to paste a link in your journal and got one from Admin. Thanks for the great advice. Will start the programme on Monday (11/01/10). Will keep you updated as I progress - I'm excited to get started to see how I transform. Still plan to cycle, swim, callenetics 2x a week in between. Am so ready to get into super shape.

Hope the muscle injury is healing.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #2670

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola001 View Post
Hi Twyla

Glad you found my journal- I was finding out how to paste a link in your journal and got one from Admin. Thanks for the great advice. Will start the programme on Monday (11/01/10). Will keep you updated as I progress - I'm excited to get started to see how I transform. Still plan to cycle, swim, callenetics 2x a week in between. Am so ready to get into super shape.

Hope the muscle injury is healing.
Hi, Lola. Yes. I found you. Thou shalt not hide.

You sound psyched. That's good.

And yes, thanks. My groin muscle pull (knock on wood) seems to have subsided. In fact, I feel the wonderful DOMS in my inner thighs this morning from yesterday's workout. Love that sort of reminder of my efforts paying off -- BUT, thankfully, no pain associated with it.
Closed Thread