Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #1801
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Didn't track food today. No time. Insanely busy day. More of the same on macros.

Time to check out.

WORKOUTS:

20 MINS AB JAM
30 MINS BICEPS/TRICEPS/WALKING LUNGES/SQUATS
28 MINS RUNNING INTERVALS (P.M.) 16 @ 45/30

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 03:26 AM   #1802
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bring it on
If you didn't have time to track your macros yesterday. you must be more than insanely busy.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #1803
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Danipower714
Stats: 217 (high during pregnancy)/175/160 for now
WOE: South Beach inspired
Hey Twyla, hope you get some rest this weekend!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #1804
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: btinc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danipower714 View Post
Hey Twyla, hope you get some rest this weekend!
You don't need rest, you just had a vacation, keep pushing harder.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #1805
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gulf Coast Girl
Stats: Goal Feb '10. Lost 163 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Jennifer, when you said the key words, "over 40," I immediately thought of my idol, Tosca Reno. Could that be who you're thinking of?

Yes that's her. Thank you so much. And I think that's the post I was thinking of as well. I just could not remember her name to get good search results. I think I was combining her name and yours and was coming up with all sorts of Twyscla type things. Thanks again and I'm sorry it took me a couple days to respond. Since it's summer I haven't been spending as much time online.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:41 AM   #1806

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjb8 View Post
Yes that's her. Thank you so much. And I think that's the post I was thinking of as well. I just could not remember her name to get good search results. I think I was combining her name and yours and was coming up with all sorts of Twyscla type things. Thanks again and I'm sorry it took me a couple days to respond. Since it's summer I haven't been spending as much time online.
Jennifer, I had a feeling she was the one. Good deal ... !

Twyscla?

And as for the time spent online....I hear ya...same boat, different reasons.

Hope you enjoy the info you'll gather from reading up on Tosca's journey, and the loads of motivation and inspiration you'll get from all her articles and such. She's an amazing woman.

Have a great weekend.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:50 AM   #1807

Looking forward to another run tonight. After spending the day filling up on carbs....my REFUELING high day .... I should be able to put in a good one.

I am dying for a good kickbutt strength training workout, but I'm inclined to go easy for a while longer. Gotta get this shoulder back to normal, and reaggravating the injury is not gonna do me any good. I just need to be patient. I can do some bicep and tricep work, maybe some limited lat work, and just focus on lower body for another week or so.

In the meantime, load up on cardio.

So plan to do Turbo Jam today, then get in a run tonight. I can put in the intensity I need with both these things when I'm sufficiently "carbed up," so this will serve my purposes for today at least.

Yesterday (updating) was an hour of Super Callanetics. Nothing else. Another busy day at work, hard as I could go. Took a nap when I returned home, went out to dinner with friends, had a few beers for a much-needed wind-down. Feeling great today. Will track my food today and commit to the training, and whatever time is left over, clean house and get more transcribing done.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!
Old 07-11-2009, 06:06 AM   #1808
Major LCF Poster!

Twyla, Take care of your needs! The balance of work and fitness.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #1809

SAT JUL 11

Back to carb rotations for the first time in ... uh, a while? Since before vacation. I'm out of practice. But it will all fall into place like clockwork as I go along.

So today was a high day, and I lost control somewhat, simply by not planning. I thought I could wing it, but I should have planned ahead.

It's been a good day. No worries. I've enjoyed the solitude.

Got some work done. A storm came through late afternoon, and it lulled me to sleep, so I got in some catch-up time on zzzzz's. How I love sleeping in the rain.

Decided to resched my run for tomorrow night.

TOTALS:

2152 CALS (+cheat meal)

PROT 133 gr........25%
FAT.......58 GR.....24%
CARBS..298 GR....47%
FIBER.....47

WORKOUTS (all cardio)......GREAT ENERGY

43 mins Turbo Jam w/gloves
30 mins s/s elliptical

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-11-2009 at 07:21 PM..
Old 07-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #1810
Major LCF Poster!

Twyla, Like the new Avi.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #1811
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinCO
Stats: 168/158/152--5'9"
WOE: Back to SB!!
Start Date: Aug 2014
Wow, girlie, a bikini avi!! Yeah, baby! Honestly, did you think you'd come so far?

I've been kinda doing the carb rotations, but really need to put more mental energy into it. I have lots of notes here, and tend to follow the "low" day w/o a medium! Since I'm doing a fair amount of exercise, I need to figure out a medium w/ some beneficial carbs. I've been relying on your cottage cheese blizzards and the protein balls, thank you very much!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #1812

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCO View Post
Wow, girlie, a bikini avi!! Yeah, baby! Honestly, did you think you'd come so far?

I've been kinda doing the carb rotations, but really need to put more mental energy into it. I have lots of notes here, and tend to follow the "low" day w/o a medium! Since I'm doing a fair amount of exercise, I need to figure out a medium w/ some beneficial carbs. I've been relying on your cottage cheese blizzards and the protein balls, thank you very much!

Laurie, thanks. And about the rotations: BINGO. They do require mental energy. Is it worth it? Yes. But you need to pay attention to your body while doing rotations. There will be times, depending on your workouts and your state of depletion when you'll need to adjust your rotation, i.e., time for a high day. There is no set "thou-shalt-have-X-med-days-to-X-low-days" formula. Everyone is different. Everyone's training schedule is different.

The beauty of carb rotations is that if we can't eat correctly today, we drop to a low day, and if we can't exercise today, we drop to a low day; is there a social event coming up? We rearrange the rotation so that our high day will fall on the social event day. Energy may suffer, waiting for that high day, but this is just adapting "life" to our nutrition, not something that's in stone, and we replenish and get back to a set rotation after the event, regroup, progress as normal.

Btinc has taught me the importance of the high day in carb rotations, particularly if we train hard and consistently. Keep these words of wisdom in mind when contemplating your rotations:

"Then the high day tricks the body into thinking there is plenty of food coming in and it can release body fat for energy. The more you can make the body to think it's not dieting, the better. Anytime you eat carbs you will have some water binding at the cell level. That is normal. However, if you can't get that back down in a day or so on a low day, then yes the carbs need to be adjusted down. The low and the medium should be adjusted down. For the most part you try to leave the high day alone."
Old 07-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #1813

SUN JUL 12

Med day rotations. Split workouts up. S/S cardio in a.m., more in p.m., with some add'l LB stuff. Hunger controlled today. No issues. But energy not as sustained as I'd hoped it would be. Still frustrated that I didn't plan out my high day as it SHOULD have been. Rough start. Better days to follow.

Youngest son headed off to a week-long camp this afternoon, fishing pole in tow. Spent the afternoon preparing his bag, laundry, checkoff list, etc., and off he went with his buddy from school, cute, wide grins with a hint of mischief.

TOTALS:

CALS....1329

PROT....156....48%
CARBS...89.....25%
FIBER....23
FAT.......47 .....31%

WORKOUTS:

30 MINS S/S CARDIO, ELLIPTICAL
24 MINS RUNNING INTERVALS ()
12 MINS SQUATS AND SINGLE-LEG CURL UPS

Low day on tap for tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:57 AM   #1814
Major LCF Poster!

I Hope you have a great day, Twyla.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #1815
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinCO
Stats: 168/158/152--5'9"
WOE: Back to SB!!
Start Date: Aug 2014
Ahem, my notes here say low=85 gross carbs, med=135, but I b'lieve you've dropped to low=50 med=85. What's your target for high?

BTW, did you see Oxygen mag's plan in the spring issue for losing the last 10 pds? I didn't get it, I was just reading the readers' letters about it. (They say order it online if you missed it.) Evidently, it involves exercising less and eating about 1200 cals for wk one, 1300 for wk two and three, then you're done. The rec center I go to shuts down for a week when the kids go back to school in August, I could almost try this. Or maybe I'll actually get to 50 gross carbs!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #1816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCO View Post
Ahem, my notes here say low=85 gross carbs, med=135, but I b'lieve you've dropped to low=50 med=85. What's your target for high?

BTW, did you see Oxygen mag's plan in the spring issue for losing the last 10 pds? I didn't get it, I was just reading the readers' letters about it. (They say order it online if you missed it.) Evidently, it involves exercising less and eating about 1200 cals for wk one, 1300 for wk two and three, then you're done. The rec center I go to shuts down for a week when the kids go back to school in August, I could almost try this. Or maybe I'll actually get to 50 gross carbs!
Laurie, just to clarify: I’ve tried different approaches to my carb rotations in the past six months, all relevant to the issues and hurdles and personal goals I was dealing with at the time. In early spring, I was struggling with trying to get the scale moving, and it was going nowhere. So Btinc suggested that I begin with higher carbs to help jolt my stagnant metabolism. I had to factor into those carb parameters my energy expenditure; I wanted to make sure I was adequately fueling my workouts as well as keeping my metabolism revved.

As it got closer to my vacation time, I wanted to be able to wear a bikini with confidence and get rid of the last few pounds of fat that were reluctant to move, so I lowered my carbs again to help minimize water bloat during those last few weeks. I was more interested in getting rid of the stubborn fat than about building or maintaining LBM during those last few weeks, so cutting my carbs AND my calories was necessary.

I still have stubborn fat on my lower body that has become my next challenge, and this carb rotation approach is a 2-3 week trial, “step one,“ to see where it takes me. I may be adjusting up again. It’s a wait-n-see approach.

Btinc recommends as a baseline for carb rotations: 50 or under for low, 80-100 for medium, and 1 gram per pound of BW for a high -- BASELINE. Dependent upon your body type, your goals, your metabolism, your BMI, all of this can vary.

Also, I’ve emailed with a few people who compete and who have used carb rotations for cutting, and believe it or not, their low is basically a “no carb.” But on the other hand, their highs are about 1.5 to 1.75 or more for high days. And some people don’t even use a medium day at all in their rotations.

All carb rotations are simply a manipulative approach to outfox homeostasis, jolting it from a low carb or low calorie environment, keeping it from bottoming out at a lower metabolism. It’s a reset button, in effect. But a lot of it depends on how stubborn your metabolism is, how much fat you want to lose, how depleted you are, one’s leptin levels, age, activity levels, etc.

OXYGEN article? Yes, I did read it. At least twice? I thought about trying it, but it definitely is an approach that would require little to no workouts for those two weeks -- not a wholotta eatin' goin' on! Very low calories over the haul.

I suppose it would be interesting to see if it works. I guess if you have an event in two weeks and you want to drop ten pounds fast, yeah, might do the trick. I can't imagine going that long w/o working out. Exercise is an effexor for me; helps me deal with emotions, stress, anxiety. When I don't get it, I'm not a nice person to be around. :blush:

But who knows? May be an approach to try if needed. It got my attention, let's put it that way.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #1817

MON JUL 13

Busy day. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. It is what it is.

Low day in rotations. Hungrier today than yesterday, but didn't really hit me until late afternoon. It's 6:44, and I'm going to try to avoid eating anything else the rest of the evening.

These low days are the struggle; but I have medium days to keep me sane, and high days to look forward to. It's all good.

On Saturday I decided to face the music and weigh again since before vacation, and I have gained 5.5 lbs. How does one gain six pounds in a month, but it takes me two months to lose six pounds? Thus, I hate scales. They just drive me insane.

So more work to do. But there's more living to do. The dance is never over. The circle of life continues. Staying on top of it is what is key. I could let it go, let down my guard and "live it up" for the rest of the summer, or for several weeks; I could take a back seat and feel sorry for myself and indulge in food to satisfy frustrated desires, but in the end, it would only serve to push me further away from what means the most to me, staying fit and feeling good about myself; wearing "49" with confidence.

TOTALS:

1531 CALS
PROT....174......46%
CARBS....44......11%
FIBER.....12
FAT.........76......44%

WORKOUTS:

1 HOUR SUPER CALLANETICS
15 MINS S/S CARDIO
Old 07-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #1818

UPDATE

Quote:
MON JUL 13

WORKOUTS: UPDATED

1 HOUR SUPER CALLANETICS
25 MINS RUNNING INTERVALS (3 MINS RUNNING, 1 MIN RECOVERY X 6)
Old 07-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #1819
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
So more work to do. But there's more living to do. The dance is never over. The circle of life continues. Staying on top of it is what is key. I could let it go, let down my guard and "live it up" for the rest of the summer, or for several weeks; I could take a back seat and feel sorry for myself and indulge in food to satisfy frustrated desires, but in the end, it would only serve to push me further away from what means the most to me, staying fit and feeling good about myself; wearing "49" with confidence.

It ain't over til it's over.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

It ain't over til it's over.
Ya got that right!

Watched the last half of the Rocky Balboa movie last night, and that was his comment to his opponent Mason Dixon. Coincidentally.

Reminds me, I wanna download that tune, Lenny Kravitz...love his voice! Might be fun to run to.

Sitting here devouring fresh blackberries with my cottage cheese....I'm in HEAVEN. Glad it's a medium day; been waiting on these babies!

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-14-2009 at 02:18 AM..
Old 07-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #1821

TUES JUL 14

Another long busy day. Worked straight through the lunch hour. All work and no play makes Twyla a very boring girl.

Med day. Hunger hit about noon and I fought it on and off throughout the rest of the day. Was hoping to keep cals at 1600 or below. Didn't work out that way. Exceeded my protein to try to fill up. My carb cap today was to have been 75, so I couldn't fill up with any carbs, and was trying to keep fat grams at medium. Not a wash out. My Turbo Jam workout this morning was high intensity, so I know I'm in a deficit. Just sayin...

Tomorrow back to low.

Just now getting home, still have my work clothes on, ready to wind down. Had to sing tonight immediately after work. We are scheduled to sing this weekend, so we had to practice and nail it down tonight. I think we're ready. We laughed our butts off at practice. Got slap-happy at the end, wearing out, weary...started our own blooper show. Good fun. Music bonds like no other.

TOTALS:

1721 CALS

PROT.....221.....52%
CARBS....88.....25%
FIBER.....25
FAT........60......31%

WORKOUTS:

43 MINS TURBO JAM W/WEIGHTED GLOVES
*4 SETS OF 25 BICEP CURLS AT NOON (ONLY HAD 10# DB'S)

*Mostly to arouse me from my coma.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:48 AM   #1822

Quote:

MON JUN 1.....

My next goal, both now (ongoing) and by August (football season? good enuf time as any) is to firm up body fat issues on my thighs (mostly inner and hamstring area), always my trouble spots. I want my thighs to be lean and firm, as HARD and toned as they can be for a soon-to-be 49 yr-old woman. What can I expect in that regard? I really don't know. But I'm gonna bust butt (literally) to find out.

This will involve clean eating, calorie deficits, and more intense weight lifting. I will need to come up with a plan. I've been researching, reading, gathering insight. I'm ready to take it on.
BRING.IT.ON.

Recapping. Just reminding myself of my agenda. Focus and the right nutrition is key.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #1823
Major LCF Poster!

That's right. Were there any coconut trees in marco?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #1824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardolowcarbo View Post
That's right. Were there any coconut trees in marco?
Good. Ya got me at first.

I'm sitting here repeating to myself:

"Coconut trees in Marco, Coconut trees in Marco, Coconut trees in Marco...?????"

Then it clicked.

Heck YEAH there were coconut trees in Marco.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #1825
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I'm dense...I don't get it...
Old 07-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #1826
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Recapping. Just reminding myself of my agenda. Focus and the right nutrition is key.
You can do it!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #1827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danipower714 View Post
You can do it!!!

Low day. Fighting hunger again today. But I won. I was determined to win. I can expect the hunger. Overcoming it when I need to push is what's gonna make the difference. Storms always subside and the skies will clear. Toughed it out.

Very sleepy. Took a nap after work. Better now.

TOTALS:

1482 CALS

PROT.....187 .... 51%
CARBS.....53.....13%
FIBER......19
FAT........64.......39%

WORKOUTS:

10 MINS CARDIO WARMUP
35 MINS LOWER BODY WEIGHTS (SQUATS, WALKING LUNGES, SINGLE LEG CURL UPS) WITH TRICEP WORK DURING SETS
Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #1828
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Scorpio2
Stats: 170/167/150
WOE: Healthy Low Carbs
Start Date: restart 9/2009
Wow, is that your arm in that pic?!! Very firm! I just saw your stats and I'm at the same weight as you when you first started. This is very encouraging. I will definately read your journal for motivation.

Keep up the good work!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:25 AM   #1829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post
Wow, is that your arm in that pic?!! Very firm! I just saw your stats and I'm at the same weight as you when you first started. This is very encouraging. I will definately read your journal for motivation.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks, Scorpio! Yeah, my arm...whoduhthunkit?

You're right, we DO have the same stats. I started this crazy journey at one pound over yours and struggled down the WRONG road waaaaaaaay too long before seeing the right road signs to success.

I wish you great success...with dedication, hard work, commitment and patience, it can be done, girl. (We can be our best in the fabulous forties if we want it bad enuf!!! ) Visit here anytime. I'll keep ya motivated. So nice to meet you.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:58 AM   #1830
Major LCF Poster!

Twyla, I noticed that you are staying low carb. Around 50. How long are you staying low for?
Closed Thread