Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #1771
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bring it on
Hope you have a great weekend! I also hope that you are doing well with your fitness goals.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #1772
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Surbhi...Good to hear from you...hang in there, exams are almost over. THanks for the BD wishes...be safe, let me know when you've "landed."

Glam, I'll head over to your journal and see what's goin on with you. Been wondering where/what you've been into.

Rich and Dani, backatcha for the holiday wishes...be safe and give thanks for freedoms.

I didn't get around to posting in my journal yesterday evening. I've been burning midnight oil on work, and it really burns me out mentally and eventually physically. I get so sleepy when I proofread! I collapsed into a deep coma nap yesterday evening after preparing dinner for everyone, and didn't wake till after dark. Proofread some more till late, then fell into more deep sleep, sleeping until after 9:00 this morning. Guess I needed the rest.

Felt renewed this morning.

Yesterday's food was continuing along with maintenance/keto levels, except after my nap I awoke and dived head first into a bunch of blueberries and strawberries. I wasn't supposed to have them this week. Trying to stick to a more strict keto-structured diet, but I sinned. :blush: So where's the whip?

Yesterday's workouts:

25 mins triceps/delts
28 mins running intervals (16, at 45/30)

Good workout today. Spent and renewed at the same time. Feels great.

Still waiting for the sun to surface from the cloud cover...may be waiting for a while. Wanted to work on my tan...may need an alternative. They say sun is bad for you, causes wrinkles, etc., but IMO I look much healthier/younger/sexier with a tan than w/o. I enhance my tan regularly with Loreal Sublime Bronze (except on my face), and that fools everyone into thinking I live 24/7 in a tanning bed. Loreal should pay me royalties for all the free advertising I do for them.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #1773

Updating for Friday, July 3rd:

Stuck to plan for the most part, except for some adult beverages late evening, which made me begin to crave carbs....Had some sugar-free pudding. Get a grip, Twyla.

But on a more positive note, my workouts were intense and my body is REMINDING ME this morning. Mercy. Hellooooooo, muscle soreness!

35 mins circuit strength training, upper and lower, no resting between sets at all
30 mins cardio, elliptical
Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #1774

"One nation under God, indivisible,
with liberty and justice for all...."

Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #1775

Accountability...

"It is not only what we do, but also what we do not do,
for which we are accountable."

Moliere

Workouts today. Done. 40 mins Turbo Jam w/weighted gloves, 20 mins Ab Jam. May try to get in another 20 mins cardio before bed tonight.

So far today, 12:21 p.m., 402 calories.

My butt is sore.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #1776
Major LCF Poster!

You are doing a great job!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #1777
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Danipower714
Stats: 217 (high during pregnancy)/175/160 for now
WOE: South Beach inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Accountability...

"It is not only what we do, but also what we do not do,
for which we are accountable."

Moliere

Workouts today. Done. 40 mins Turbo Jam w/weighted gloves, 20 mins Ab Jam. May try to get in another 20 mins cardio before bed tonight.

So far today, 12:21 p.m., 402 calories.

My butt is sore.

KUTGW Twyla!!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #1778
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gulf Coast Girl
Stats: Goal Feb '10. Lost 163 lbs.
Hi Twyla,

A while back you posted a link to an article on a lady's webpage. I can't remember her name and I've searched using every word/phrase I can think of to find it again. She was Canadian (I think) and the articles posted on her site were mostly about women lifting. If you remember what I'm talking about would you please tell me her name?

Thanks so much,

Jennifer
Old 07-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #1779
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: umakrishna_uk
Hi Twyla,

I am new to Callanetics. I find that my neck aches while I go the stomach exercises, that is while keeping the shoulders and legs raised. Will the neck ache persist?

Uma
P.S Inspired by your blog!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjb8 View Post
Hi Twyla,

A while back you posted a link to an article on a lady's webpage. I can't remember her name and I've searched using every word/phrase I can think of to find it again. She was Canadian (I think) and the articles posted on her site were mostly about women lifting. If you remember what I'm talking about would you please tell me her name?

Thanks so much,

Jennifer
Jennifer, was it Noel Clark? I'll dig through my files and see if I can recall who you're referring to. Get back to me if Noel is the one.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by umakrishna_uk View Post
Hi Twyla,

I am new to Callanetics. I find that my neck aches while I go the stomach exercises, that is while keeping the shoulders and legs raised. Will the neck ache persist?

Uma
P.S Inspired by your blog!!!
Uma, I have been somewhat AWOL this past week, having just returned from vacation and playing catchup, so I haven't posted on the Callanetics challenge much, if any. So I apologize for not following up with you.

As for the neck discomfort, I would encourage you to support your neck by lightly placing your hands behind your head/neck while doing the ab work. Many beginners find this necessary; don't hesitate. As your abdominals strengthen, you will find that it becomes easier. As your curl up, curl up from your upper body and shoulders, NOT from your neck. Let your abs/upper body do the work and it will take some of the pressue off your neck. Be patient; your abs will get stronger and this will become much easier.

Glad my blog has been an inspiration to you.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #1782

Yesterday (Sunday) was an extremely busy day, so no time to post. Hoping for a productive week. (Lower body still sore from Saturday's workout .)
Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #1783
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweettooth
Hi Twyla!
I've been lurking around for a while, skimming through your amazing journey...Needless to say you're really a source of inspiration for all of us, you don't even imagine how useful your blog is, so, first of all, thank you for all the work you've done here writing everthing you've been doing in order to achieve your body shape!
btw, I've seen your pics...you look amazing!!!!!
Actually I've come up with a couple of questions for you:

1. have you got any special tool (software) for counting your everyday calorie intake and the macronutrients ratio?

I've made a research on the net but I coudn't find anything that would suit me, I'd really like to have something of the kind because I keep a diary of my workouts, weights and measurements, but I think I don't eat enough proteins. Though my diet is a carb rotation and I eat really clean, I don't keep track of the proportions and I'd like to see if focusing more on my diet I will be able to lose the last 3 Kilos.

2. Have you noticed, in your experience, that there is a better combination for carb rotations ?i.e. low for 2 days,medium for 1 day and high 1 day works more effectively than medium-low-high ?
At the moment I don't follow a strict scheme but was wondering if it would make a difference paying attention to that.
Hope to have made myself understood

Just to let you know...I wish my Mum were like you, so full of energy and active!
Thank you in advance for you reply,

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
Patience is the companion of wisdom.(Saint Augustine)
Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettooth View Post
Hi Twyla!
I've been lurking around for a while, skimming through your amazing journey...Needless to say you're really a source of inspiration for all of us, you don't even imagine how useful your blog is, so, first of all, thank you for all the work you've done here writing everthing you've been doing in order to achieve your body shape!
btw, I've seen your pics...you look amazing!!!!!
Actually I've come up with a couple of questions for you:

1. have you got any special tool (software) for counting your everyday calorie intake and the macronutrients ratio?

I've made a research on the net but I coudn't find anything that would suit me, I'd really like to have something of the kind because I keep a diary of my workouts, weights and measurements, but I think I don't eat enough proteins. Though my diet is a carb rotation and I eat really clean, I don't keep track of the proportions and I'd like to see if focusing more on my diet I will be able to lose the last 3 Kilos.

2. Have you noticed, in your experience, that there is a better combination for carb rotations ?i.e. low for 2 days,medium for 1 day and high 1 day works more effectively than medium-low-high ?
At the moment I don't follow a strict scheme but was wondering if it would make a difference paying attention to that.
Hope to have made myself understood

Just to let you know...I wish my Mum were like you, so full of energy and active!
Thank you in advance for you reply,

Hey, Ellie. Glad you stopped by my journal. Thanks for all the kudos and kind mentions. Glad I can be of help to you.

First, tracking food: I use ******. I began with the online version (which is fine), and then bought the PC version, which offers more options/tools/etc. Either way is fine, and can be VERY effective at deciphering flaws in our nutrition. Highly encourage you to track your nutrition as often as possible.

Secondly, there are no strict rules with carb rotations. Everyone’s metabolism and activity level varies, and it’s something we have to tweak and experiment with to find the ideal rotation for a given time in our fitness journey. And keep in mind, after a few weeks, you may find it necessary to tweak again, adding more low days, or more medium days, etc.

Finding the right ratios is equally significant. If you’re having trouble losing fat, you may want to try to keep your starchy carbs close to your workouts and eat fibrous carbs at all other times on your medium and high days; lowering fat a bit; adding more protein, etc.

Carb rotations work best when combining clean nutrition with regular commitment to exercise and training. The harder you train, the more carbs you’ll need (med or high days). You may notice that after a stretch of low days (1-3), you’ll begin to lack energy and feel weak. Time for a medium or high carb day. And depending on how fast or how slow your results, this will determine how many medium days or high days you want to add to your weekly routine. If you are okay on energy but aren’t seeing the results you want, slowly start to decrease your starchy carbs; and/or omit the medium days completely; or omit the high day completely and only have a high day once every couple of weeks.

So many ways to play with it. It truly is a try-it-on-for-size nutritional strategy for fat burning and weight loss, but it can be very effective for burning fat and building LBM. For me, it's more enjoyable than keeping my menus the same all the time. I can plan my personal activities around my carb rotations to make social events more enjoyable.

Just remember that when you add carbs (med or high days), you will want to decrease your fat on those days. Carbs go up, fat comes down. On med days, I try to keep my fat at 30%, and on high days, at 25% or under.

These are just a few starting suggestions. I'd be glad to help you with other concerns you have with carb rotations, macronutrients, and coming up with a plan that matches your current training schedule.

Stop by my journal or PM me any time. Would love to help.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #1785
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
[B
Yesterday's food was continuing along with maintenance/keto levels, except after my nap I awoke and dived head first into a bunch of blueberries and strawberries. I wasn't supposed to have them this week. Trying to stick to a more strict keto-structured diet, but I sinned. :blush: So where's the whip?[/FONT]
I've read all the "Thou shalt nots" and I don't think that one is on there.

KUTGW and it is so thoughtful of you to help so many folks out when you are busy, busy, busy. Just reading your journal wears me out.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I've read all the "Thou shalt nots" and I don't think that one is on there.

KUTGW and it is so thoughtful of you to help so many folks out when you are busy, busy, busy. Just reading your journal wears me out.
Gina, in the grand scheme of reason and logic, you're absolutely right. Sweating an overdose of berries? Doesn't make good sense, huh?

As for helping others, nothing brings me greater satisfaction than "paying it forward." It's the very least I can do.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #1787
Major LCF Poster!

I hope that all is going well with your plan.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #1788

Digressing from the monotony of proofreading -- the anathema of court reporting, inevitable nevertheless -- to post and update my journal a bit. I've had such very little time lately to browse and read on LCF, and I really miss it. I gain understanding, knowledge, inspiration and insight from so many sources here.

This coming week will be maintenance level cals once more, carbs at 50 or under, then I will embark on carb rotations again. I wasn't so good over the weekend. I indulged with celebration fare and was, well, careless. I don't think I've done much damage. Afterall, I'm on a diet break of sorts, and indulgences are expected.

Noting my totals for the day before heading back to more proofreading. I will proofread for an hour, then plan to do cardio (to wake up!) for half an hour, then proofread till I fall asleep tonight. Exciting. Only about 500 more pages to go.

TOTALS:

CALS 1779

PROT....186....42%
CARBS...46....10%
FIBER....12
FAT.......102....50%

WORKOUTS:

30 MINS CARDIO a.m. (Turbo Jam w/gloves)
15 mins Callanetics leg work
30 mins cardio elliptical, p.m.

Marco Beach at Sunset
Old 07-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #1789
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: surarch
Stats: (200)198/166/125 5.5"
WOE: Eating clean
T
how ru doin? wow you r amazin with balancin your hectic schedule, workouts , nutrition n being available here.. i can nver even manage to do half of what you do

finallyyyyy, my exams are over n im headin back to be with DH(missing him gettin irritated with my all time blahs blahs n more blahs.. we girls can nver change or can we??? well, who wanna change)
im leavin from Delhi on 9th of july and will be in toronto in like 20 -21 hours..back to him.. back to cool summers.. n back to my workouts

will see you more than.. really missed bein on LCF much

see ya soon n will again start distubrin you with my endless queries

love you

"YOU can have anything you want- if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, have anything you desire, accomplish anything you set out to accomplish - if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose."

Total Inches Lost: 20.5
total weight loss: 34 lbs
Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 AM   #1790
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweettooth
Thank you Twyla for your suggestions and explanations: yuo're always so kind and willing to help....
I'll try to combine my carb rotation with my workouts as you said and keep tracks of calories as well as macronutrients ratio thanks to ******:I've had a look at it and its really what I was looking for!
Have a nice day!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:28 AM   #1791
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Danipower714
Stats: 217 (high during pregnancy)/175/160 for now
WOE: South Beach inspired
Quote:
As for helping others, nothing brings me greater satisfaction than "paying it forward." It's the very least I can do.
I agree with this 100%! Not only in weight loss, but in other areas of life as well.

Have a great day dear friend!
Old 07-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #1792

Very busy day, I'm home from work and once again headed out the door, will arrive home late and with likely no time to post later this evening.

Got in bed at midnight last night, up by 5:00 this morning, so I'll be dragging tonight. Must do better timely bedtime tonight.

Food: Maintenance cals; carbs less than 50

Workouts: 32 mins running intervals (20 @ 45/30) a.m.
Callanetics leg work at noon, 15 mins
Old 07-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #1793
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Got in bed at midnight last night, up by 5:00 this morning, so I'll be dragging tonight.
Hope you get more rest tonight!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #1794
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gulf Coast Girl
Stats: Goal Feb '10. Lost 163 lbs.
Quote:
Jennifer, was it Noel Clark? I'll dig through my files and see if I can recall who you're referring to. Get back to me if Noel is the one.
Thanks for replying, Twyla. I did a search for Noel Clark and it wasn't her.

I'm pretty sure the one I'm thinking of was over 40 and that several of the articles on her site made a big point about her age and that she didn't start working out until she was older and after she had kids. I think her food philosophy was all about 'clean' eating.

It's not important and I don't want you to have to take the time to look for her name I just thought you might remember.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:23 AM   #1795

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjb8 View Post
Thanks for replying, Twyla. I did a search for Noel Clark and it wasn't her.

I'm pretty sure the one I'm thinking of was over 40 and that several of the articles on her site made a big point about her age and that she didn't start working out until she was older and after she had kids. I think her food philosophy was all about 'clean' eating.

It's not important and I don't want you to have to take the time to look for her name I just thought you might remember.
Jennifer, when you said the key words, "over 40," I immediately thought of my idol, Tosca Reno. Could that be who you're thinking of?

I'll dig up a link that may be the one just in case and get back to you. If she's the one, log on to oxygen magazine's website, and you'll see tons of references to her. Each month's copy of Oxygen features a section called "Raise The Bar," written by Tosca, and is a slam-dunk of motivation. Let me know if she's the one. Here's her personal site:

ToscaReno.com
Old 07-08-2009, 02:31 AM   #1796

And while I'm thinking about it, a reminder:

WHY WOMEN TRAIN

"Strength training improves bone density,
arthritis symptoms and
increases flexibility,
especially among older women."

Jennifer, just in case Tosca is the one you're thinking about, could this be the post?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ex...osca-reno.html

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-08-2009 at 02:34 AM..
Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #1797
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinCO
Stats: 168/151.6/147--5'9"
WOE: Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet Cleanse/Thrive
Start Date: May 2013
Hi Twyla and fans!
I read this link about light weights and high reps and again Thank God for my pilates class! 2 wks ago I missed the class due to horrible, terrible, really bad traffic, so I came home and did the mat workout I posted here-it was HARD, even tho I was doing it at home by myself w/ no instructor pushing it. Try it try it try it!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #1798

Laurie, I've heard that Pilates is very similar to Callanetics. If you're challenging yourself, then you know it's working.

Right now my plate is full -- timewise -- and I have no extra room for added exercise routines. I'm doing well to get in my MANDATORY weight training, cardio and Callanetics. My loyalties remain "where the rubber hits the road," when time is short.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #1799

WED JUL 8

One load off. Two more to go. Finished proofing one of the appeals, now to index and print it in between hearings tomorrow. I'm getting there!

I'm enjoying the response of my body to nutritional strategy: Diet break, higher cals, lower carbs, cheat day last weekend, then resume more of the same this week. It's as if I can almost HEAR my engine roaring inside, happy camper it is. Fascinating to me. It's like hitting the RESTART button, or running DEFRAG on a sluggish PC....all is well again.

Hunger levels down today, so I haven't made it to maintenance level calories yet, but I'm already over carb targets by 10, so what's a girl to do? Eat butter?

Feeling more rested today. Waiting patiently for my shoulder to heal. Plan to do LB weights with some bicep and limited tricep work tomorrow morning. I'd like to run, but I'll hold off on my run until this weekend when I plan to have a high day. It's tough to run on low carbs. At least for me.

TOTALS: (Before my butter)

1527 cals

PROT....180....48%
CARBS....60....14%
FIBER.....14
FAT........67.....39%

WORKOUTS:

1 HOUR SUPER CALLANETICS A.M.
30 MINS CARDIO P.M.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:40 AM   #1800
Major LCF Poster!

T, I am glad that this is working well for you.
Closed Thread