Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]
Hey, G, and Dani

[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Sienna"]SAT APR 25

Wow. One busy, busy day. I got up at 7:15ish, had some carbs, a bit of protein and coffee, and then began my weight training. I was hoping to have time to get in some cardio following the lifting, but my son had a track meet and I was gonna be late. He did well, throwing his best so far at shot, 50.4, coming in second place in this event. He's qualified for the state championships, and the kid who has sewn it up in the State's the last few years was there today and was NO DOUBT the impetus for my son's best throw. He loves a challenge.

Spent the afternoon scrubbing/bleaching the back porch, washing down the furniture, etc., so that involved lifting and moving all of the furniture off the porch and into the back lawn to scrub it down, then lifting it all back to the porch after drying in the sun. I was tired when I finished, but was glad to get it done. Smelled so clean and fresh. Good day for it.

Grocery shopping followed, then worked on transcripts for Monday's trial, then grilled, then ate a bit of dinner, then ran intervals. I still had things left undone on my to-do list, but I guess it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Today was my high day in rotations, and I was aiming to get calories a little higher today too. I'm quite full. No more eating for me. But I thoroughly enjoyed my carbs today. Yummy, clean carbs.

My sprints in my intervals weren't as strong as Thursday night, but I think it was because of my leg work today. My legs felt a little tired, but I went ahead and pushed to get in 22.

Weather was fabulous today -- very warm, sunny, and very breezy. Made to order weather. Was able to work on my tan today at the track meet; got quite a bit of sun.

Scale weight today the same as last Saturday.

TOTALS:

CALS 2544

PROT.....199 GR...31%
CARBS...289 GR...41%
FIBER......32 GR
FAT..........43 GR...15%

WORKOUTS:

1 HOUR TOTAL BODY WEIGHTS (minimal resting; ab work during most rests)

3 sets of pushups mid afternoon

34 mins running intervals, 22 @ 45/30 (8:30 p.m.)

[/COLOR]

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 04-25-2009 at 06:47 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #1442
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bring it on
Hi Twyla, I hope that you are enjoying the weekend.

Quick question, Of your Fat percentage in your macros, do you aim to keep your saturated fat intake to a certain percentage?

TIA
Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #1443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardolowcarbo View Post
Hi Twyla, I hope that you are enjoying the weekend.

Quick question, Of your Fat percentage in your macros, do you aim to keep your saturated fat intake to a certain percentage?

TIA
Hey, Rich.

About the saturated fat, I don't really think about it to be honest. My focus is more on keeping just enough fat in each meal to attain satiety and more importantly balance.

With that in mind, I focus on mostly good fats: nat PB, eggs, coconut oil, walnuts, almonds, salmon. I eat salmon a lot during the week, and nat PB, probably anywhere from 1 to 2 Tbs per day, depending.

I often can tell when I need to add more fat. It's like a missing link to the puzzle when I've finished a meal. My body tells me it's missing something. And sure enough, when I plug in the numbers, I've shot too low on fat. Once I bring my meal up to the 20-30% range, I'm good.

Did that help? What was your reason for asking?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #1444
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for responding!

I guess the operative Phrase is Good Fats.

for example:

your
Salmon is 28% Fat

7% saturated
8% polyunsaturated
10% monounsaturated. Pretty healthy!!

For example:

The cheese that I have been eating is 69% fat

44% Saturated
2% polyunsaturated
20% monounsaturated. Pretty unhealthy. Allowed on Atkins.

I have not payed enough attention to healthy fats. I am now learning.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #1445
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Hiya T & everyone!

Long time no talk!

Figured I'd start here; always warm & cozy in T's Journal!
and GREAT to see some of my fav peeps in here, too!

Sorry to have dropped off the face of the earth ...
Life has been a wild roller coaster ride for the past few months!
Lots of up's & down's; good & bad ~ but mostly up/good!

Just returned from 3 weeks in Texas ~ (my new Avi is me, hubby, 1.5 year old grandson, Danny - this is the day after my step-daughter's wedding on 4/4/09) ~ wonderful wedding & fantastic family that she married into!

Oh and I start my new job on Monday, 5/4 -- woo hoo!

Warning: I will (soon) blow the dust off my Journal and resume posting there ~ so please come visit me, K?

I'm holding steady my 15 lb weight loss from last year; but need get back in the saddle & into the mindset to lose the other 15 lbs!

E-talk to y'all soon!! Hope ALL is well with EVERYONE!!

XO,
HB

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-26-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Old 04-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #1446

Quote:
Thanks for responding!

I guess the operative Phrase is Good Fats.

for example:

your
Salmon is 28% Fat

7% saturated
8% polyunsaturated
10% monounsaturated. Pretty healthy!!

For example:

The cheese that I have been eating is 69% fat

44% Saturated
2% polyunsaturated
20% monounsaturated. Pretty unhealthy. Allowed on Atkins.

I have not payed enough attention to healthy fats. I am now learning.
Rich, to be honest, I don't read labels maybe as much as I should, but what I do pay attn to is the choices of healthy fats in my diets, just making myself aware of their sources, those I mentioned, as well as others to include avocados, olive oil, fish oil supps, etc.

I also take in fat grams through some of the protein I eat, turkey burgers, for instance, though leaner than beef, have more fat than chicken or fish. So I eat those on my low carb days, and save the chicken and fish for my med and high carb days. I basically try to eat lowfat foods on med/high days, and eat higher fats on low carb days. But it has become second nature to me, what I eat and don't eat, so I don't really read labels, unless I'm trying a new food. That is when I'll weigh in my head before I buy it: Do these macs fit into my agenda?

I also factor in calories. For instance, I love cottage cheese blizzards, and fat-free tastes the same as lowfat to me, but has fewer calories. At this stage in my mission, calories matter more. So I choose fat-free. It also works better for high carb days, when I'm trying to keep fat as low as possible.

I've become more rigorous with my food choices since beginning carb rotations and getting down to serious business with body recomposition. If it's only about losing scale weight, I don't think it matters a great deal, some, but not as much.

When body recomping, everything matters.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #1447

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
Hiya T & everyone!

Long time no talk!

Figured I'd start here; always warm & cozy in T's Journal!
and GREAT to see some of my fav peeps in here, too!

Sorry to have dropped off the face of the earth ...
Life has been a wild roller coaster ride for the past few months!
Lots of up's & down's; good & bad ~ but mostly up/good!

Just returned from 3 weeks in Texas ~ (my new Avi is me, hubby, 1.5 year old grandson, Danny - this is the day after my step-daughter's wedding on 4/4/09) ~ wonderful wedding & fantastic family that she married into!

Oh and I start my new job on Monday, 5/4 -- woo hoo!

Warning: I will (soon) blow the dust off my Journal and resume posting there ~ so please come visit me, K?

I'm holding steady my 15 lb weight loss from last year; but need get back in the saddle & into the mindset to lose the other 15 lbs!

E-talk to y'all soon!! Hope ALL is well with EVERYONE!!

XO,
HB
HB!

She's among the living,
folks!

We've missed you, girl. It's so good to hear from you again. Love the new pic of your family. Congrats on this new job. Anxious to hear all about it and for you to bring us all up to date on your life while AWOL.

Great to have you back on the boards with us
Old 04-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #1448

[COLOR="Sienna"]SUN APR 26

My day has been a blur of activity once again. Very busy weekend. And it AIN'T over yet.

Began the day with worship, having to get to church earlier since I was scheduled to sing a solo at both services, so had to practice first thing this morning and warm up my voice. After church, had a bite of lunch and hopped on the elliptical for some scheduled cardio; showered, to the baseball field for son's game; left from there to my sister's to help her with a task she needed my input for; back home to resume working on a trial transcript and to put something together for dinner; and the only thing left to do is my second scheduled session of cardio. An all cardio day for me today.

Low carbs in the rotation today. Hunger became noticeable and annoying mid afternoon. Drank a bunch of water and satiated myself with eggs. Eggs always work better than other food when I'm hungry, and on low carb days.

I'll finish up cardio when I log off.

This week will be very busy for me, as we're beginning a murder trial and I'll need to be "on my toes" a bit more so than typical court days.

I am scheduled to take an additional certification test this coming Saturday, and I've been preparing for it for about two months. I'm determined to pass. I will pass this test. I will pass this test. I WILL PASS THIS TEST.

TOTALS: (not including my tea and protein/PB cookie for later)

1634 CALS

PROT....176 GR.....44%
CARBS...43 GR......10%
FIBER....14 GR
FAT........89 GR......48%

WORKOUTS:

60 MINS S/S CARDIO [/COLOR]
Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #1449
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: kelley17
Stats: 175/160/125
WOE: Finding My Way
Start Date: 5/5/10
Hi Ya T! First I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts for your certification test - although you are the DRIVEN one so I'm sure you are very prepared.

My second comment has to do with protein. My friends and I got into a discussion about protein requirements. They tell me that 40-60 grams of protein is all that a woman should have for the day. I told them I eat about 40 grams before lunch and if I don't I'm usually circling around looking for something to eat. I see by your nutritional counts you are well over 40-60 grams. What is your take? I have been doing the Med thing but I notice when I don't eat a protein to start my day off I am starving within a couple of hours.

Have a great day and enjoy the weather. I love it but right now anytime I go outside my eyes swell up!
C25K Graduate and Now restart April 2012 W1D3 done
my weightloss journeyDoing it for myself and my family
Old 04-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #1450
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Wow, you are one busy gal! I'm sure you will do well on your test!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley17 View Post
Hi Ya T! First I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts for your certification test - although you are the DRIVEN one so I'm sure you are very prepared.

My second comment has to do with protein. My friends and I got into a discussion about protein requirements. They tell me that 40-60 grams of protein is all that a woman should have for the day. I told them I eat about 40 grams before lunch and if I don't I'm usually circling around looking for something to eat. I see by your nutritional counts you are well over 40-60 grams. What is your take? I have been doing the Med thing but I notice when I don't eat a protein to start my day off I am starving within a couple of hours.

Have a great day and enjoy the weather. I love it but right now anytime I go outside my eyes swell up!
Hey, Kelley. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the test thing. It's a "nerves" issue for me, and I need to overcome the nerves and ace the test. That simple. I know I can pass, but my nerves defeat me.

As for the protein, IMO, if you want to preserve -- and more importantly build -- lean body mass, you need to eat more than 40-60 grams a day. What I go by is 1 gr per pound of BW. If you're trying to build muscle, that changes from 1.5 up to 2 gr of protein per BW. Then you factor in the necessity of thermogenics, and how it takes longer to metabolize protein than any other macronutrient. Thus, eating a suff amt of protein per meal will INDEED keep you feeling satiated longer, plus will keep the metab burning/ramped longer.

I have found through my many trials and errors that I lose better with no less than 150 gr per day, and I actually try to not drop below 175 gr per day.

I eat a lean protein with every meal. No options.

So it depends on a person's goals, their chosen diet (Atkins has different guidelines, being more ketogenic and focused on higher fat), their workout schedule, their body comp goals. All of those factor into the equation.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #1452

My busy day has begun.

It looks like it's gonna be this way for at least a week.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 AM   #1453
Major LCF Poster!

Twyla,

I hope that with your busy week you are getting in time for yourself and your goals.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #1454

Quote:
Twyla,

I hope that with your busy week you are getting in time for yourself and your goals.

Yep. Thanks. Just gotta get my head on straight.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #1455
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey T, my friend wanted to know if those many protein grams would be for a heavy lifter? I told her you workout like a bandit but I wouldn't characterize you as a heavy lifter, more an avid exerciser. I was looking at my protein intake and think I probably do 80-110 grams on the days I feel the best and don't stray to the carbs! TOM just around the bend and I'm having a heck of a time right now!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #1456

Quote:
Hey T, my friend wanted to know if those many protein grams would be for a heavy lifter? I told her you workout like a bandit but I wouldn't characterize you as a heavy lifter, more an avid exerciser. I was looking at my protein intake and think I probably do 80-110 grams on the days I feel the best and don't stray to the carbs! TOM just around the bend and I'm having a heck of a time right now!
Kelley,

My primary and very trusted source of info on this is Btinc, whose own body speaks miles to his knowledge regarding this subject, not to mention his knowledge gained through his extensive history of training/nutrition expertise.

He has shared with me that some people can tolerate more protein than others, that some will get huge insulin spikes and wild glucose swings from protein, just as they would with carbs. However, if one is putting in training time with weight lifting particularly, it's advised to take in 1.5 x your BW, and as high as 1.75 to 2 grams, if your body can tolerate it; and especially the more intensely one trains, i.e., one who lifts heavy and whose goal is building lean body mass.

You might consider that on days when one is not training with weights, you could cut your protein macros back on that day a bit.

But when training, yes, it's critical to take in sufficient protein, and particularly the post workout meal needs to be a lean protein meal.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #1457
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Thanks Twyla! It's good to BE back!
I have missed all of you & need the SUPPORT!
Hiya Btinc, Kelley, Rich, Gina, Glam, Dani, etc

OK, Sergeant! Here's my AWOL Report!
The Butterfly Connection
Everyone is

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
HB!
She's among the living,
folks!

We've missed you, girl. It's so good to hear from you again. Love the new pic of your family. Congrats on this new job. Anxious to hear all about it and for you to bring us all up to date on your life while AWOL.

Great to have you back on the boards with us
Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #1458

Hey, HB I took a peek at your "report" to see what all you've been up to. You have had a full plate, it seems. We're so glad you're back on LCF!

[COLOR="Sienna"]TUES APR 28

Updating from Sunday. No report on Monday. Somewhat overwhelmed with life. Nuff said.

Today was a low day in rotations for me. Trying to keep cals under 1600 today. Energy was much better than yesterday. In fact, while doing my cardio this evening, I had noticeably more energy than on Sunday night's second cardio session. Sunday night I was clearly wiped out.

I'll be having another low day tomorrow.

Long busy days in court, but it's been VERY interesting. I love trial work, and the criminal trials are often far more interesting. The extra challenge of forensic and expert testimony will hopefully give me an edge for my test this weekend.

TOTALS: 1549

PROT.....155 GR.....41%
CARBS....85 GR.....20%
FIBER.....20 GR
FAT.........74 GR....42%

WORKOUTS:

a.m.
35 MINS TURBO JAM w/weighted gloves
10 mins ab work

p.m.
22 mins UB weight split (biceps/delts)
22 mins s/s cardio elliptical

[/COLOR]
Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #1459
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Hey Twyla, am I on the right track with this advice?
Please remind me again of what you strive for? TIA!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/mu...l#post11899963
Old 04-29-2009, 02:36 AM   #1460

HB, Very interesting excerpt that you mentioned above. Makes good sense to me.

I think I agree with this:

Quote:
Bottom line is, they suggest that you don't try to cut calories at all, not at first.

Calculate your maintenance level cals, and then stick with that for 4 weeks; then assess your progress.
(and this is exactly what I'm doing; starting May 1)
You asked what I strive for. Did you mean calories? Not sure, in the way your phrased the question.

If you meant calories, I've found that the closer I get to goal (and I'm not necessarily talking about a number on the scale here), it's harder and harder to keeping moving in the right direction. Your body fights harder to maintain the status quo. Wow, does it ever. So sometimes it helps to increase the calories for a day, basically take a diet break, and that will help to reset the metabolism. I went an entire month with no changes on the scale, and after a huge calorie/carb day on Easter, the following week I dropped four pounds of scale weight.

What I'm striving for is to continue to burn fat and lean down, and that is getting more and more of a challenge. It appears that I'm at a point where I may have to lower my calories and forego the high carb day of my week, and just keep rotations at low and medium for a while, with a slightly bigger deficit, and then re-evaluate in a few weeks.

I wish I could say there was a set "formula" for success in calculating calories and carbs: Eat this many calories and this many carbs and you will be successful with your goals. There is no definitive answer. That formula, I've found, is a very fluid calculation, and esp the closer one is to goal.

Many people think of "goal" as a number on the scale: "I want to lose 15 pounds."
My goal is a "look" that I'm going for, and I'll know I'm there when I see it. It's not easy. It's damn hard at times. I'm blessed with good health and I'm thankful that my fitness level is where it is; thankful that I take pride in my nutrition choices and my commitment to exercise and training. I place very high expectations on myself, and sometimes I find that stepping back and looking at the big picture and all that I HAVE accomplished offers perspective and renews resolve.

Just take it one day at a time. Be mindful of each week's progress. Evaluate what you do and keep tweaking.

Our biggest enemy is being afraid of failure. Failure is feedback. We have to fail at times to learn how to win.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 AM   #1461

[COLOR="Sienna"]Headed to work this morning, listening to Anita Baker, the lyrics to her song struck a chord with me:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]
You know, this old world just,
Keeps on spinning around and around and around
And sometimes it just spins too fast
And you, you not only lose your balance
But you lose your rhythm ...
And it's at times like these that you just need to stop
And not only find your way again but
[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"].....find your own rhythm [/COLOR]
Because life has a rhythm…
And mother nature has a rhythm

And love…....
.....oh yes.....
love has a rhythm.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Sienna"]Very profound and relevant[/COLOR].

[COLOR="Sienna"]I began my day with Ab Jam, followed by my leg day workout. I looked up at the clock and saw that I had ten minutes before I needed to shower, so I decided to go for a steady run, 10 mins of steady cardio, running in the cool, still, morning rain. What a high. Beautiful. Can't top that feeling.[/COLOR]
Old 04-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #1462
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Danipower714
Stats: 217 (high during pregnancy)/175/160 for now
WOE: South Beach inspired
That's a beautiful song! You are so committed to exercising each day...very inspiring to me!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #1463
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi T - Love the idea of starting my day off with a run. Only 51 more days until school ends and I can join you in spirit! Thanks for all the great info. I've began upping my protein intake and I'm feeling much more in control. Hugs!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #1464
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
I love the lyrics to that song T - very relevant to me at the moment. I'm with Kelley - I can't wait to get running! So excited! Reading your journal just makes me wanna get up and go! Love it!
I'm gonna go graba cuppa, and then catch some Zzzzzz's - its only 6 pm but I am so very tired!
Hope you had a good day hun!
G x
Old 04-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #1465
HB = Healthy & Balanced

T,

I completely agree with you re:
No set "formula" for success in calculating calories and carbs: Eat this many calories and this many carbs and you will be successful with your goals. There is no definitive answer. It is (as I'm finally beginning to understand!) a very fluid calculation, and esp the closer one is to goal.

for example, I just posted this in my Journal:
The Butterfly Connection

1) I was just curious re YOUR daily targets re cals/carbs/fat/fiber on low/med/high days?
(realizing that what you're doing THIS week may not be what you're doing NEXT week, etc.)

2) And if you consume Carbs pre-workout and Protein post-workout? (I think that you do?)

3) I'm thinking of the following options and wondering if I'm on the right track?
- Carbs pre-workout: steel-cut oatmeal; Ezekiel cereal; fruit/banana; etc
- Protein post-work-out: whey protein shake; eggs; cottage cheese; etc.

4) Is there a "most beneficial" time window for consumption of pre-workout Carbs & post-workout Protein?

You/Me are roughly the same age/height + similar starting weight + similar fitness goals –
So what you’re doing is perhaps more pertinent to me than some of your other fans!

I’m calculating/tweaking for myself; but thought it would be interesting so see how closely my personal calculations mirror what you’re targeting these days. I'm not planning to copy you; just info gathering & synthesizing. I’m pretty certain my calculations will be close to what Btinc initially suggested for me; but of course I always have to learn for myself The Hard Way via The School of Hard Knocks!

I too, take pride in my healthier nutrition choices (a far cry from where I was even a year ago) + I’m striving to become leaner, stronger, healthier thru exercise (of which there's been NONE in almost 3 months).

I think I'll always lean toward lower Carb (under 100 daily); and strongly believe in Carb-tapering through-out the day; ending with only Protein/Veggies at dinner.

This has worked well for me/hubby; we've both lost fat without suffering in the least. Carb-tapering has moved him farther away from the borderline of being a Type 2 Diabetic (genetic) AND lowered his Triglycerides + he's dropped 20 lbs; I've dropped 15 lbs. We've also learned that eating fruit after dinner (for dessert) spikes his Glucose terribly; he's much better off with chocolate or cheese!

I'd like to lose another 15 lbs; but more importantly; I'd like to reduce fat & gain muscle. I don't need a mostly meaningless number on a scale to tell me how I look in my clothes or how I feel in a swimsuit or nekkid!

Cardio will be limited due to injuries/chronic issues; but I believe in the theory that Strength Training (20%) & Good Nutrition (80%) can provide me with maximum fat loss.
5) Would you agree?

My once-strong body is impaired with chemo-related weaknesses; but I will not let that stop me!
In fact, it only serves to motivate me to become more fit; because it's super important for me to NOT physically deteriorate any further; I must mitigate the damage; or pay the steep price as I age.

thank gawd there's NO sign of osteoporosis; in fact my bone health (and heart health) are very good; probably due to my pre-cancer fitness level; exercise has always served me well so I must not let anything (not even the pain) get in the way of that, anymore.

I’m not afraid of failure; no way; not me.
the only way to NOT fail is to NOT try.
and I will never stop trying!

See, you/btinc have taught me well
Now I'm just looking to fine-tune & ramp it up a couple of notches!

In the end, it seems that what is best for each of us (individually) is whatever keeps YOU satisfied (not hungry) and motivated and energized -- WHILE ya lose fat AND build muscle!
(so yes; a regular weight scale is pretty useless)

And while there are general guidelines that we can "start with" -- (based on our weight/age/BMI/ individual tastes/needs/health/etc) -- we must each learn to give our bodies the correct fuel in the correct ratio in order to achieve the result(s) that we desire.

But in experimenting for ourselves, it's helpful to gain valuable insight thru the sharing of info. I've learned most of what I know right here at LCF via peeps like you/btinc and thru books I've learned about via LCF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
You asked what I strive for. Did you mean calories? Not sure, in the way your phrased the question.

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-29-2009 at 03:13 PM..
Old 04-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danipower714 View Post
That's a beautiful song! You are so committed to exercising each day...very inspiring to me!
Dani, You inspire me as well. You've done a remarkable job at staying focused and committed, and it's paying off.

But thank you.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #1467

Quote:
Hi T - Love the idea of starting my day off with a run. Only 51 more days until school ends and I can join you in spirit! Thanks for all the great info. I've began upping my protein intake and I'm feeling much more in control. Hugs!

Kelley, I had forgotten how wonderful it feels to run in the mornings. I stopped running in the mornings when winter hit. When I resumed running, it was always evenings.

This morning was perfect. Morning sounds are different from night sounds. Night, you hear bugs and thugs. Mornings, only the birds. The rest of the world -- mostly -- is sound asleep at my hour. And the rain this morning....ahhhhhh, that light, cool rain was just heavenly on my face, mixed with my sweat. The clarity it brings.

Girl....get your butt out in the morning now...do it now, before it starts getting too warm/muggy. You'll love it.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #1468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamour P! View Post
I love the lyrics to that song T - very relevant to me at the moment. I'm with Kelley - I can't wait to get running! So excited! Reading your journal just makes me wanna get up and go! Love it!
I'm gonna go graba cuppa, and then catch some Zzzzzz's - its only 6 pm but I am so very tired!
Hope you had a good day hun!
G x
Yes, Glamour P, we all have to find our own rhythms, don't we? It IS so very relevant. Rhythm is the operable word here.

Gotta find it, then ya gotta go with it.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #1469

HB,

Here ya go. Keep in mind, I'm "in between" currently. Don't hang the moon on any of this:

1) I was just curious re YOUR daily targets re cals/carbs/fat/fiber on low/med/high days?
(realizing that what you're doing THIS week may not be what you're doing NEXT week, etc.)

Well, right now I’m not sure. I’m trying to shoot for between 1600-1800 cals per day, all days except Saturday, which is my high day. Some days my hunger gets the best of me, and I exceed my calorie targets.

I try to always get a min of 175 gr of protein, 25 gr of fiber.

My carb rotations are:
Mon - Med, Tues, Low; Wed, Med; Thurs, Low to Med; Fri, Low; Sat, High

As for the carb targets, I’m currently trying to find the right amt. Low is usu 85 gross carbs or below; med is 135 gross or below; high, 250-275 gr

These are current targets. They’ve been higher, but I’ve adjusted down recently.
Fat, no target, I just “fill in” with fat, enough to keep me balanced, but higher obviously on low carb days. I listed my food totals most days, so you can peek back to get a better idea.

2) And if you consume Carbs pre-workout and Protein post-workout? (I think that you do?)

Yes, I eat lean protein and carbs before my workouts, about 25 mins before (it‘s all I have time for), usu fat-free cottage cheese with berries, or a bit of banana, and coffee; and a protein shake with usually rice cakes after my workouts, within 10 mins.

3) I'm thinking of the following options and wondering if I'm on the right track?
- Carbs pre-workout: steel-cut oatmeal; Ezekiel cereal; fruit/banana; etc
- Protein post-work-out: whey protein shake; eggs; cottage cheese; etc.

Looks like a good place to start.

4) Is there a "most beneficial" time window for consumption of pre-workout Carbs & post-workout Protein?

The window for pre is ideally 45 mins to an hour before, but I don’t have that luxury since I work out very early in the morning.

The window for after is “the sooner the better,” preferably within 10-15 mins, no fat.

If you have time, you can flip back and read the last 6-8 pgs of my journal to get an idea of the kinds of targets I've been applying in the last month or so.

As I said, getting ready to switch it up again. I'm very close, and my body is putting up a good fight.

I'm thinking the last 8-10 lbs, people typically need more cardio. I'm finding that it helps ME.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #1470

[COLOR="Sienna"]WED APR 29

One more day of April. Time has flewn by.

Today was planned as a low carb day initially, but I decided mid morning to make it a low-med day. After reflecting today on my options, I'm considering foregoing my high day this week, keeping it mostly lows sprinkled with mediums. I'm thinking that by Wed or Thurs of next week, I may have a "built-in" high day, thanks to hormones. So I'll just leave out my high day this weekend and keep the mediums.

Today was a comical day in court. I had to suppress my amusement several times, trying to be stoic. People are strange. Takes all kinds. If the jury believes some of these clowns who testified today, they need their heads checked. Such drama.

Okay. Confession time. I allowed myself to get into some fat-free caramel icecream today.
That stuff is absolutely SEDUCTIVE. IT IS SIN IN A CARTON. Nuff said. Consequently, I did not stay within my calorie or carb limits for the day. I should still have managed a slight deficit regardless.

TOTALS: (Very screwed up totals)

CALS 1990

PROT.....194 GR.....39%
CARBS...180 GR.....31% (Damn icecream - so much for a low-med day)
FIBER......44 GR
FAT..........68 GR......30%

WORKOUTS:

18 MINS AB JAM
30 MINS LB WEIGHTS
10 MINS RUN, S/S CARDIO
PUSHUPS AT NOON
25 MINS CARDIO, P.M.

[/COLOR]

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 04-29-2009 at 06:02 PM..
Closed Thread