Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #1291
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Rich, "real life Nike commercial." Wow. What an inspiring comment. Thank YOU!

You know, I've enjoyed working out my whole life, but my workouts have evolved in the last 8 yrs or so of my life, progressively more intense, more targeted, more methodical. It's a passion that has grown to consume me, and I'm not ashamed, I don't make excuses for it, it's just who I am, who I've become. I woke up one day (when was that now?) and said to myself: You're approaching 50. It's time to get serious. If you take control, if you call the shots, you can be in the best shape of your life, and thumb your nose at "aging-itis." And I did. And I am. And I've become so immersed in this passion that there is no turning back. I'm riding the passion for all its worth, and the rewards are indescribable.

Just taking care of business. God willing, He will continue to bless me with the ability to take care of my health, my fitness, make the right nutrition choices, be proactive in my attempts to remain strong and healthy well into my .... (fill in the blank) ...

Sometimes I wish I'd known when I was in my 20's and 30's what I know now. I could have experienced the thrill and rewards of what focused/dedicated/disciplined nutrition and exercise can do for a person's quality of life. But that's the way it works a lot of times, the wisdom comes later in life. Better late than never.

As for the DOMS I'd mentioned, the most noticeable this week was following Wednesday's lower body workout. I think I had added more volume, and I think it got the job done. It WAS an intense workout. My lower body is one area that I desperately want to "carve" and reshape with lean definition. I gain there first, and lose there last, and it's my hardest part of my body to target. I'm hoping the runs will aid in that process.

As for the Detour Bars, they're actually pretty good, and the "low sugar" version has only 3 gr of sugar, 17 g of carbs, and 15 g of protein, a whey protein blend, which it appears there's SOME soy protein in that blend, and I try to avoid soy products, but it's not like I eat these all day long, or all the time. They are just handy to have when I need a quick or handy meal replacement.

Enjoyed a good night's sleep last night. My middle son placed 4th in his disk throw event at his first HS track meet yesterday -- this is his first year for disk or shot, first year for track period -- and getting home late last night, I'm letting him catch up on some rest while I slept in a little more this morning, having a little rest and relax time for myself.

Giving thanks today for His goodness and mercies.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 03-29-2009 at 06:20 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #1292
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
I really enjoyed reading the great stuff you are sharing with Ricardo. A very good read.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post
I really enjoyed reading the great stuff you are sharing with Ricardo. A very good read.
Well, since we're all up and posting right now....too bad we can't have a conference call instead!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #1294
Major LCF Poster!

It's true!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #1295

Time for my shower....

Y'all have a fabulous Sunday!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #1296
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Good Morning Darling!

I just wanted to wish you a warm and blessed Sunday dear.
I am doing SO good.. my liver flush was a complete success and I started adding back fats last night and no issues what so ever!

It's good to be back on plan!
What is going on for you today?
I need some medium fat medium carb menu ideas! Going to transition back on over a few days and plan induction again on Wed.

Have a fantastic day!
Cary~
Old 03-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #1297

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Good Morning Darling!

I just wanted to wish you a warm and blessed Sunday dear.
I am doing SO good.. my liver flush was a complete success and I started adding back fats last night and no issues what so ever!

It's good to be back on plan!
What is going on for you today?
I need some medium fat medium carb menu ideas! Going to transition back on over a few days and plan induction again on Wed.

Have a fantastic day!
Cary~
Thanks for those kind wishes, Cary. I hope your Sunday was a blessed one also.

Glad you're feeling better and on plan. There must be some method to the madness for you. You're transitioning to more fat and carbs, but then back to induction. Does that mean you're carb cycling? Help me with this one. I need to catch up and visit your journal.

As for menu help, my menus are very routine, which is not at all a problem for me. I eat the same things over and over again pretty much, keeping it simple, predictable, and knowing what works for me. But being on rotations, I need to change what I eat from day to day. Some days I eat higher fat, others basically no added fat at all. But I've gotten used to it now, and it's somewhat autopilot for me.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #1298

[COLOR="Sienna"]
SUNDAY MAR 29

Today was back to a low carb day, and the transition was absolutely seamless. Once again, hunger very suppressed, energy good, but I haven't taken advantage of it. I'm sitting on my hands to keep from working out. I'm trying to force a rest day. But it seems like a waste to not work out when I have good energy levels. "That's just wrong!"

Back to nasty winter weather again...no snow, but cold and windy. Spring? Hellllooooooo?

TODAY'S TOTALS:

CALS 1323

PROT.....158 GR....47%
CARBS....48 GR....13%
FIBER.....14
FAT.........63 GR....42%

WORKOUTS:

___________________________________.

[/COLOR]
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #1299
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bring it on
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
[COLOR="Sienna"]
SUNDAY MAR 29

But it seems like a waste to not work out when I have good energy levels. "That's just wrong!"

___________________________________.

[/COLOR]
You even have a hard time having a rest day! You are super dedicated!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #1300

Rich, mostly because I was enjoying good energy, it was just hard to sit still. Occasionally my internal clock tells me, hey, you, enuf already, I need some shuteye! And I fall into a deep sleep and do some catchup on rest time.

I think my restlessness is genetic...my grandma was like this...never still. Always afraid she'd miss something, or leave something undone.

But I obeyed my will last night. I rested. No workouts yesterday.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #1301

[COLOR="DarkRed"]MON MAR 30

I'm sitting here just finishing up the most delicious dinner: Tilapia, browned in 1 tsp olive oil and seasonings, with steamed asparagus/broccoli, peppers. It is SO YUMMY.

Okay. Time to brag. My middle son, who just began this year (his senior year at HS) throwing disk and shot on the track team (his passion has always been football guru slash bodybuilder type) just walked in from track practice, downing a protein shake, and proudly announced to me:

"Okay. Here's the deal. I know Saturday was my first ever track meet, and I placed fourth, and that's cool. But at track practice today, I said to myself: I will never place below third again. And right after that I threw a 49," big cocky grin from ear to ear.

His longest to this point is a 47.5. And he threw a 44 at the meet. Today he set his own record, because he was pissed (that'll do it, son!), at 49. We exceed our own expectations when we set our minds to getting the job done.

Today was a good day for me hunger/energy wise. Controlled hunger. Energy steady. It was a medium carb day, and I fell short of my carb and protein targets, but I was at my target for calories and fat grams so I stopped. I may have some cottage cheese with PP before bed. We'll see how I feel.

I chose a bad time to run today. Too much traffic, people out, stop and go, get out of the way, move, run in place, hello to a zillion neighbors -- all very pleasant, but not when you're trying to focus and catch a rhythm and zone out.

I like it when it's just me and the wind and the music and my heartbeat, the symphony that drives me home.

Oh well. Felt good regardless.

CALS 1624

PROT.....187 GR....46%
CARBS...104 GR....22%
FIBER......24 GR
FAT.........53 GR.....29%

WORKOUTS:

1 HOUR SUPER CALLANETICS IN A.M.
25 MINS UB TRICEP/DELT SPLIT P.M.
38 MINS INTERVAL RUNNING, 21 INTV, 45/30

[/COLOR]
Old 03-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #1302

[COLOR="Sienna"]TUES MAR 31

Today was a low carb day. Hunger even more controlled today than yesterday. Energy picked up by mid morning. Was a little low this morning. I purposefully ate more carbs this morning preworkout for that very reason. From breakfast forward it was taper-town. Mostly greens and misc/incidental carbs. Deficit worked out, esp given it was a higher intensity cardio type day.

DOMS noticeable today in glutes (Callan yesterday) and triceps (overtime).

Busy day, and it AIN'T ovah!

TOTALS:

CALS 1623

PROT.......178 GR....43%
CARBS......81 GR....18%
FIBER.......20 GR
FAT...........72 GR....39%

WORKOUTS:

32 mins Turbo Jam w/gloves & 18 mins AbJam - a.m.
(if home in time, 10 mins on elliptical)

Gotta go sing..................

[/COLOR]
Old 03-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #1303
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
[COLOR="DarkRed"]

Okay. Time to brag. My middle son, who just began this year (his senior year at HS) throwing disk and shot on the track team (his passion has always been football guru slash bodybuilder type) just walked in from track practice, downing a protein shake, and proudly announced to me:

"Okay. Here's the deal. I know Saturday was my first ever track meet, and I placed fourth, and that's cool. But at track practice today, I said to myself: I will never place below third again. And right after that I threw a 49," big cocky grin from ear to ear.

[/COLOR]
Hey, my son throws shot and discus too. He started this year as a sophmore. He's doing well, usually places second to a powerhouse kid on his team.

I told him how far you're son threw and he says "That's good. That's really good!" His PR is 39 feet.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Hey, my son throws shot and discus too. He started this year as a sophmore. He's doing well, usually places second to a powerhouse kid on his team.

I told him how far you're son threw and he says "That's good. That's really good!" His PR is 39 feet.
Very cool! This shot/"discus" stuff is all new to me, as you can tell! :blush: The numbers meant nothing to me, so you've shedded some light for me.

My son is a BIG boy, and his strength likely is his success. My neighbor saw him at the track yesterday practicing and she emailed me today and said, "Twyla, I saw Gavin yesterday...MY GOD, HIS ARMS!!!!! He's huge! When did he get so HUGE?" Cracked me up. I can't wait to tell him. Like he needs an ego lift!

We can talk "track" now, you and I!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #1305
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning Twyla,

First of all, congratulations on your athletic sons. You must be very proud. I wonder where they get there competitiveness and winning attitudes? LOL.

Can someone say "ROLEMODEL MOM"?

I had a few questions in the back of my mind to ask you.

1) You mentioned that you didn't like soy products. Any particular reason?

2) Are you a singer? Isn't it a great form of expression? I sing in my car or in the house. Not publically.

Sounds like you have been busy lately. Well with 3 boys and your workouts, I am sure that you are always busy.

Have a great day!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #1306
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkRed"]MON MAR 30

I like it when it's just me and the wind and the music and my heartbeat, the symphony that drives me home.

[/COLOR]
Another Commercial Nike Woman!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardolowcarbo View Post
Good morning Twyla,

First of all, congratulations on your athletic sons. You must be very proud. I wonder where they get there competitiveness and winning attitudes? LOL.

Can someone say "ROLEMODEL MOM"?

I had a few questions in the back of my mind to ask you.

1) You mentioned that you didn't like soy products. Any particular reason?

2) Are you a singer? Isn't it a great form of expression? I sing in my car or in the house. Not publically.
Thanks, Rich. I'm very proud of each of my sons, all for different reasons. I'm blessed.

As for soy, it's because I'm hypothyroid, and we're supposed to avoid soy. Aren't I lucky?

And about singing, yes, I sing, but only as an amateur. I've sung my whole life, been involved in music in one form or another throughout. I thrive on music. Just recently I was asked to join two other women to work on 3-4 songs that we'll be performing together at our church. I'll be the middle voice, alto. We've chosen some very jazzy/blues/gospel type stuff that will be A BLAST to ad lib and improvise...I can see the roof rising already!

What would the world be without music, the voice of the soul! Gotta have the music -- everything except country
Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #1308

[COLOR="Sienna"]WED APR 1

Medium carb day today. Significantly more controlled hunger today, progressively so throughout this week. Love that. Energy great. I'm quickly running out of clothes that fit me. Belts required on practically everything I own. But I have 6-7 lbs left to go before that elusive term, "goal weight," and I'll know "goal" when I see it. I won't need the scale for proof. It's not a number; it's "the look."

My commitment to varied workouts combined with clean, balanced nutrition have been so instrumental in the changes that I'm seeing. It is a great feeling.

Have had a busy day, and I haven't gotten in my run yet, but fully intend to as soon as I log off.

CALS 1696

PROT....192 GR....45%
CARBS..144 GR.....29%
FIBER.....35 GR
FAT........42 GR....22%

WORKOUTS:

7 mins HipHopAbs Cardio (warmup)
30 mins LB weight training
20 mins biceps

20 mins HipHopAbs Cardio p.m. (while grilling chicken)
35 mins running intervals [/COLOR]
Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #1309
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
[COLOR="Sienna"]WED APR 1

I'm quickly running out of clothes that fit me. Belts required on practically everything I own.
[/COLOR]

Great Progress!!!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #1310
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
I woke up one day (when was that now?) and said to myself: You're approaching 50. It's time to get serious. If you take control, if you call the shots, you can be in the best shape of your life, and thumb your nose at "aging-itis." And I did. And I am. And I've become so immersed in this passion that there is no turning back. I'm riding the passion for all its worth, and the rewards are indescribable.

Wow.. this gave me chills -seriously. I take this to heart so much. I think I was supposed to see this. I am too "approaching 50" and this paragraph really says so much to me. I need to find more motivation for working out. It has left me. I know the motivation comes in the doing.. I just have to make myself DO IT for a while. I am going to start with Yoga today.. my back is still really hurting from Epcot.

Just wanted to say how much this post inspired me honey. What great words.

Hope you have a bright and bountiful day.

It is SO wonderful outside this morning.. I saw gardenia buds on my bushes! Yeah!

I loved reading you have more control with your carb up days now too.. that gives me hope..

Today is day two of re-induction..
lost 1# overnight..

I am glad to be back.

Have a fantastic day dear,
Cary~
Old 04-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #1311

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Wow.. this gave me chills -seriously. I take this to heart so much. I think I was supposed to see this. I am too "approaching 50" and this paragraph really says so much to me. I need to find more motivation for working out. It has left me. I know the motivation comes in the doing.. I just have to make myself DO IT for a while. Cary~
Cary, like so many other things, it is a discipline. It's more helpful to view working out as a privilege rather than a punishment. Once you commit to working out and it becomes habit, you will begin to enjoy all the benefits of working out that you wonder how you ever could have lived without.

But it does take discipline.

I refer you to Post 1126 here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...l#post11578357

Make up your mind to commit to making it a disciplined habit, a non-negotiable part of your lifestyle. You won't be sorry.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #1312

[COLOR="Sienna"]THUR APR 2

Low carb today. Things went well. No hunger issues. A little tired after work. Overdid it yesterday with deadlifts. Recouping.

Had planned to switch my workouts and high day carbs from Saturday to Friday since I'll be at Little League stuff most of the day Saturday. I'm thinking of just working it in on Saturday anyway, allowing tomorrow and easier day with therapeutic Callanetics and maybe light cardio.

Run last night was good with wonderful energy throughout intervals.

TODAY:

CALS 1748

PROT......165 GR...37%
CARBS.....85 GR....17%
FIBER......29 GR
FAT.........96 GR.....48%

WORKOUTS:

35 mins Turbo Jam a.m.
Ab work
Upward dogs, lots and lots and lots of upward dogs[/COLOR]
Old 04-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #1313
Major LCF Poster!

Looks like you are doing really well. Have a great Weekend!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #1314

[COLOR="Sienna"]Thanks, Rich. You the same.

Low carb again today. Lower back feeling better. On plan for tomorrow for high day and total body weight training.

I haven't had dinner, and probably won't post till tomorrow for totals, but so far, 66 carbs, 18 fiber.

WORKOUTS:

1 Hour Super Callanetics
25 dips
24 mins abs
20 mins elliptical, varied resistance
[/COLOR]
Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #1315

[COLOR="Sienna"]SAT APR 4?

I don't even know what the date is. Who cares. It's the weekend.

Due to yesterday's rain and muck, all Little League stuff was moved to Sunday, letting all the fields dry out and such. I was able to get in my workouts as I usually try to do, early on Saturdays.

It's sunny, but cool. Wanted to lie in the sun. May do that anyway to read and rest and sleep and soak up "D" and its effects. Workouts are out of the way, some housecleaning out of the way, and now it's chill time for a while.

WORKOUTS:

40 mins UB strength training
30 mins LB strength training
37 mins running intervals (22), 45/30

Down 1.5 lbs this week, for a net loss of .5 lbs (since last week's weigh in I was up one pound). But it's official. I now have nothing left in my closet that doesn't fit. I'm wearing my skinniest jeans, (they're my favorites, low-cut, and oh-so-right), and my smallest suit now fits. I'm not as worried about scale losses right now as in leaning out, firming/tightening up, getting rid of excess body fat, worse in some places than in others.

Keeping my strength training varied. Some days I'm lifting heavier for UB, other days it's just more volume & reps.

Looking forward to popcorn and Cracker Jacks today. So far I've had steel cut oats, Cheerios, banana, a lowfat waffle, fat-free cottage cheese, turkey, rice cakes, fat-free cheese, Kashi Go Lean Crunch, protein shakes, and a Skinny Cow lowfat icecream sandwich. Saturdays are a great day for picnics.
[/COLOR]
Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #1316
Major LCF Poster!

Twyla, Way to go on your skinniest jeans!! You must feel great!
Nothing left in your closet that doesn't fit!!! Pretty soon your are going to need to do some shopping. Again, congrats. You are doing so well.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #1317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Danipower714
Stats: 217 (high during pregnancy)/175/160 for now
WOE: South Beach inspired
Twyla, that is awesome that you are in your skinny jeans! You are so inspiring to me.

I'm thinking of giving interval training a try...do you have any suggestions for me?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #1318
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
But it's official. I now have nothing left in my closet that doesn't fit.
How many woman can say that? WTG gorgeous!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #1319

[COLOR="Sienna"]THANKS, GUYS! RICH, DANI AND DAISY! I appreciate all of you.

Okay. Let's see. It's Sunday, April....something.

Now where was I? What a blur today has been!

Okay, so updating from yesterday's high carb day...:blush:...my, my, Houston, was it EVAH one high carb day. Don't know what happend, but the flood gates broke and I ate, well, uh, a lot of carbs. Probably close to 500? :blush: And I ate about 2500 calories. Yep. Shah did.

Lying in a puddle of guilt and shame last night, watching a depressing movie, I decided to get up off my butt and do some mitigating cardio. Put in 30 mins of s/s cardio on the elliptical...but not before changing the channel to something more entertaining. PULEEEZE.

Things back to normal today. Low carb. Higher fat. Low to avg calories. Appetite very much under control. The quiet AFTER the storm.

My tummy, even though it ached last night from too much food, was surprisingly flat and tight this morning. No harm from my misdeeds. Whew!

I left the house at 10 something this morning, and it was one thing and then another all day, church, singing, Little League, repeat. I'm tired. Glad it's over.

I'm ready to get some rest and take on another week of getting down to business with my progress.

CALS 1619

PROT.....177 GR....45%
CARBS....37 GR....7%
FIBER.....12 GR
FAT........89 GR.....48%

WORKOUTS:

20 mins elliptical
25 dips

[/COLOR]
Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #1320

[COLOR="Sienna"]MONDAY APR 6

Today was a medium carb day in my rotations. Having my pre-workout mini meal, I should have taken a hint, an omen of what the day would hold. When I had finished my coffee and my cottage cheese/PP/blackberries blizzard, I'm licking the bowl..........
ALL GONE? ALREADY?

Do other people lick bowls? I wonder.

So without much thought, I proceed with my Super Callanetics, did 25 dips, off to shower, my day began like always.

I had been at the office no more than 45 mins (ate breakfast before leaving home), and I'm thinking: Okay. Why am I hungry already? So I eat a snack. By 11:45 I'm starving to death, and I gobble every bite of my lunch, looking for more. I nosh about an hour later on string cheese and an ounce of walnuts, all the while guzzling water like crazy.

Hit the grocery store after work. Back at home, unload groceries, had some muscle milk/protein powder/nat PB pudding with a cup of coffee, then an early dinner about 5:30, with a boat load of steamed veggies and some tilapia. And more water.

I knew that I needed to work out. It would stop the hungries in their tracks. Cardio usually does. Did a few warmup sets with UB, then began my working sets, then finished with 18 mins of cardio.

I'm fine now. The "storm" is over. It's just a "fine mist" right now. I think I can weather this out. I'm gonna have a protein shake here in a minute, having just finished up my workout, maybe a bit of fruit.

When hungries hit, there's not a whole lot a person can do about them. When we diet, it happens. It's expected.
What's important is learning HOW to deal with them.
What to do, what not to do, what to eat, what not to eat, powering through it both mentally and physically, determined to beat it.
Sometimes we feed it, sometimes we don't.
It's all a balancing act in the big picture of weight/fat loss.

TOTALS: (excluding post workout snack forthcoming)

CALS.....1863

PROT.....204 GR....43%
CARBS...138 GR....26%
FIBER......34 GR
FAT........60 GR.....28%

WORKOUTS:

1 HOUR SUPER CALLANETICS AND 25 DIPS A.M.

25 MINS UB SPLIT -- TRICEPS/DELTS [COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"](My most favorite muscle group!!!)[/COLOR]
18 mins elliptical cardio
[/COLOR]
Closed Thread