Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #1261
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
He laughs!

(Yeah, I did look a little funny hobbling/yanking along!)
:blush:

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #1262

[COLOR="DarkRed"]

Catching up with Saturday's totals. It was to be a med-carb day. My hunger issues held steady all day until late last night....go figure???

So what do I do? Resist like a warrior?

Not.:blush:

After having exceeded my carb & calorie targets for the day, I allowed myself to get sucked in to the temptation...I thought I was gonna bust if I didn't have popcorn. So I ate the popcorn, threw in a few pretzel crisps for good measure, and 1/2 ounce of chocolate. Beautiful, Twyla. What a champion!

Anyhow, these are the totals for yesterday's food, and despite my indulgences, and despite being in the midst of my most bloated time of the month, to my amazement, I feel rather lean today. Amazed, yes. Knowing that the CONSISTENCY of my hard work has complemented my daily nutritional goals, so that even at those weaker, less-than-disciplined moments, I can still recognize my efforts, see and feel the success. It's the big picture. And it's clearly in focus.

TOTALS FOR SATURDAY [COLOR="Magenta"](excluding my late-night indulgences)[/COLOR]

CALS 2024

PROT......203 GR ....39%
CARBS....217 GR.....38% (over by about 50)
FIBER.......64 GR
FAT..........51 GR......22%

[/COLOR]
Old 03-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #1263

[COLOR="DarkRed"]SUNDAY MAR 22

Today was back to low carb, and it was a breeze. No issues whatsoever. Energy good. Hunger very controlled. THANK GOODNESSSSSSSSS! It ended up being lower carb than I would have normally targeted for, but I was trying to make up for going over on carb targets yesterday.
(It appears that the energy from all those carbs yesterday hung around for today as well!.)

It's my "rest" day in the weekly pattern, which means either no workouts, or only cardio. It's very hard for me to not work out, and esp with nice spring weather. I sat in the sun today and soaked up some "D," read, cat-napped. That was my "rest."

Grilled chicken for dinner. It was good to have all three sons at the dinner table for a change.

My dinner was chicken, asparagus and romaine lettuce with balsamic vinegar. It was delicious.

After dinner I went for a run. It was dusk, and it had begun to turn cooler --- it was exhilerating! Good tunes, good energy for my intervals, and paced rhythm/breathing. Loved challenging myself with sprints. All in all a great day.

TODAY'S TOTALS:

CALS 1433

PROT.....159 GR.....45%
CARBS....24 GR.....6%
FIBER.......8 GR
FAT.........81 GR...49%
[/COLOR]
Old 03-23-2009, 02:32 AM   #1264
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bring it on
Hi T,

Just a quick hello. Thanks for the jeans advice. I hope you had fun with your sons this weekend. Have a great week!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 AM   #1265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardolowcarbo View Post
Hi T,

Just a quick hello. Thanks for the jeans advice. I hope you had fun with your sons this weekend. Have a great week!

Keep those jeans handy!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #1266

[COLOR="Sienna"]
MON MAR 23

Med carb day in rotations. Energy so-so. Low on energy likely due to PUFFY TIME.

Every so many days my body tells me I need a nap. I can always tell when that is. I get one in, then I'm good for another 7-10 days till I need another one.

I need a nap.

TODAY'S TOTALS:

CALS.....1943

PROT.........202 GR.....42%
CARBS.......147 GR.....27%
FIBER..........33 GR
FAT.............64 GR......29%

WORKOUTS:

1 hour Super Callanetics in a.m.
30 mins UB delt/tricep splits p.m.
Ab Ripper 200
[/COLOR]
Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #1267

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I think yesterday's higher carbs had a spill-over effect. My energy this morning was far better than yesterday, and as a result, I was juiced up for Turbo Jam this morning. That workout can be exactly what you put into it...the intensity, the non-stop kicks, the jabs, the punches -- but it's a whole lot easier (and more fun) with good fuel! [/COLOR]
Old 03-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #1268

[COLOR="Sienna"]TUES MAR 24

Felt significant DOMS today in upper back/shoulders -- the traps area. First noticed it last night, having difficulty removing clothes above my head. More noticeable today. I love that feeling. I had increased weight & reps on upright rows yesterday. My body responded: "HELLO."

DOMS also more noticeable in abs the last couple of days.

Today was good all-round -- energy, satiety, control. Low carbs today, shooting for 75 as a target. I made it. Carbs consisted of green veggies, banana, Fiber One and trace carbs for misc.

Totals below include 1/2 Tbs of nat PB later tonight with tea.

Enjoyed a "sweet escape" today while at the mall: Starbucks Skinny Nonfat s/f Caramel Latte. I researched it later online and it was a safe call -- and very delicious!

Tomorrow planning to have Glycomaze pre and post workout to get my energy up and running bright and early tomorrow morning, and to get my carbs up for the med day. I'm anxious to resume normalcy and to continue onward with goals, once this week is out of the way.

Supposed to rain next 2 days, so hoping for a run later tonight.

TOTALS:

CALS.....1508
PROT......149 GR.....40%
CARBS.....74 GR......17%
FIBER.......17 GR
FAT...........68 GR.....40%

WORKOUTS:

43 mins Turbo Jam w/weighted gloves a.m.
18 mins Ab Jam after work
(Hoping for a run tonight when I return from a commitment; I need a brighter, more illluminated face on my stopwatch so I can see it better for night runs)
[/COLOR]
Old 03-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #1269

[COLOR="Sienna"]Okay, so backing up, my run last night didn't happen. Lots of things to do, and my run had to wait till a better time.

WED - MAR 25: This being a medium carb day, I was hoping for more energy for my run this afternoon, if I could squeeze one in with the weather cooperating.

Although I was hungrier today, for some reason the hunger took care of itself on its own by the time I got home. I wasn't hungry. Decided to try the run. Had a bit of glycomaze with 1/2 scoop of PP and off I went.

At the end of my first interval, my mind and body were immediately at war. My body was wanting to stop at 8-10 intervals; my mind was demanding at least 20.

My mind won. Ultimately, my body will also.

The energy wasn't quite what I was hoping for. It seems I have more energy on the days following increased carbs, than on the day that I actually eat the higher carbs. Except for "high" days or refeed days. I can typically bet on higher energy by midday on high or refeed days.

All in all, I kept in line with my target numbers for macros. Another low day on tap for tomorrow and Friday, shooting for around 75 carbs and higher fat.

TOTALS:

CALS 1749
PROT.....190 GR.....43%
CARBS...161 GR.....34%
FIBER......31 GR
FAT.........42 GR.....22%

WORKOUTS:

45 mins LB & Back strength training a.m.
36 mins running intervals (45/30), 21 intervals
Ab Ripper 200
[/COLOR]
Old 03-26-2009, 02:42 AM   #1270
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
[COLOR="Sienna"]Okay, so backing up, my run last night didn't happen. Lots of things to do, and my run had to wait till a better time.

WED - MAR 25: This being a medium carb day, I was hoping for more energy for my run this afternoon, if I could squeeze one in with the weather cooperating.

Although I was hungrier today, for some reason the hunger took care of itself on its own by the time I got home. I wasn't hungry. Decided to try the run. Had a bit of glycomaze with 1/2 scoop of PP and off I went.

At the end of my first interval, my mind and body were immediately at war. My body was wanting to stop at 8-10 intervals; my mind was demanding at least 20.

My mind won. Ultimately, my body will also.

The energy wasn't quite what I was hoping for. It seems I have more energy on the days following increased carbs, than on the day that I actually eat the higher carbs. Except for "high" days or refeed days. I can typically bet on higher energy by midday on high or refeed days.

All in all, I kept in line with my target numbers for macros. Another low day on tap for tomorrow and Friday, shooting for around 75 carbs and higher fat.

TOTALS:

CALS 1749
PROT.....190 GR.....43%
CARBS...161 GR.....34%
FIBER......31 GR
FAT.........42 GR.....22%

WORKOUTS:

45 mins LB & Back strength training a.m.
36 mins running intervals (45/30), 21 intervals
Ab Ripper 200
[/COLOR]

Twyla,

Way back in your journal I read that you preferred the elliptical to the treadmill because it is easier on the knees. you are running now. Did you ever have a problem with your knees? Did you strenghten your muscles around the knee? or where your knees never really a problem? I ask because years back I gave jogging a shot and I would end up with patella tendonitis. Maybe I was doing it wrong because I was kind of bouncing up and down as i jogged. Just curious?

P.s. You are doing such a great job!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #1271

Rich, it's sort of complicated, but to answer the concern, yes, I do have knee issues, and I prefer the elliptical over a treadmill, over jumping, and over lateral movements (plyometrics) which REALLY mess with my knees.

But I do love to run, the euphoria it gives me. It's a love-hate relationship. What I have found is that the interval running is actually easier on my knees that endurance running, it seems. I make sure I warm up adequately and I do lots of static stretching afterward (Callanetic stretches mostly) and that helps also. I just listen very closely to my body. I know that I should leave one day in between running to allow my joints a rest. I try to adhere to that. Maybe I'll pay for this some day, but I hope not. I've really enjoyed it.

I don't care about training for a marathon, for these reasons. If I can get in 25-30 mins of interval running, it serves my main purposes: Fat-burning and natural euphoria/endorphins release. That's what I want out of it more than anything.

I still make plenty of use out of my elliptical. If it died tomorrow, I'd be going out to get another one.

Headed out the door for a deposition...later on.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #1272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
T - I love your journal! Its so informative. You answer questions I have without even realising it. Do you take any supplements for your joints? I find my knees hurt even when walking sometimes. I had a car accident years ago and its been a knock on effect. I also find when I started JM shread, my elbows really hurt afterward, to bend them was painful!
Have a good day hun x
Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #1273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamour P! View Post
T - I love your journal! Its so informative. You answer questions I have without even realising it. Do you take any supplements for your joints? I find my knees hurt even when walking sometimes. I had a car accident years ago and its been a knock on effect. I also find when I started JM shread, my elbows really hurt afterward, to bend them was painful!
Have a good day hun x
Yes, Glamour, I take both Fish Oil and Glucosamine to aid in the inflammation of joints. Glucosamine/chondroitin combo is best. Both of these supps can aid in joint pain symptoms.

And I make sure to get adequate calcium (mostly through my food) and Vitamin D -- gotta love the good ol' sunshine's boost for D!

I experimented with JM Shred, and I found it to be very risky -- ended up having a lot of issues with my knees with all the jumping/jerking/lateral movement she promotes. There are safer ways to get in cardio for me. It's a great workout, regardless.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #1274

Went to Sams this afternoon and bought Angel Food cake, some baked pita crackers (low in fat), turkey burgers, salmon burgers, and flounder, most of which I look forward to having on Saturday, my high day.

They had also restocked their low sugar Detour Protein bars -- thank goodness! Those are very handy to have in an emergency, handy for travel, etc. Quick, easy, low sugar but good protein supplement/meal.

We're planning a Disney trip in June, on the front end of the annual Marco Island trip, and I don't want to eat amusement park food. The protein bars will be great for travel and at Disney, along with packets of tuna or chicken, string cheese, and almonds or walnuts. I don't care for Disney, but my youngest son has never been, and I promised him we'd go. Gotta go get it over with. I'm not gonna blow my progress on crappy, carby food, even while on vacation. I'll allow myself 2-3 days over the course of the time away to enjoy good food and drink, but it won't be at Disney, that's fahr shahr! I'll save my splurges for island/beach seafood.

Counting the days till vacay....I fully intend to be at MY VERY BEST by then. Can't wait!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #1275

[COLOR="Sienna"]THURS MAR 26

As ugly as this day was -- rain, rain, rain, dull, dismal, cloudy, ugly rain -- I enjoyed the day. The dress pants I wore today are more loose on me than they've ever been. Could not have worn them w/o a belt. (These same pants were too snug during the Christmas holidays!)

This is so INSPIRING to me. I have proof -- through my clothes -- that the inches are melting away. That has to be the only proof I need. Knowing that I will be weighing again soon (Saturday?), I almost dread seeing the scale. The number messes with my mind, because it's how my clothes fit (or don't fit!) and what I'm seeing with my improved muscle tone and lean body mass that drives me, rewards me, keeps me coming back for more. I've never felt so good as I do now. I don't want to surrender this euphoria to a mental setback by seeing a number on the scale that may -- or may not -- match the feedback I'm getting from other indicators.

It's body composition. It's what matters most to me. Scales are so derailing to that whole concept.

Today was a low carb day, shooting for no more than 75; only made it to 46. Works for me. Very good energy today, but major DOMS in my lower body -- particularly quads and hamstrings. Increased the volume yesterday, and I feel it!

Need to remember to recharge my MP3 tonight. There's no way I could work out without my tunes.

Taking advantage of my increased energy today, I decided to do Turbo Jam after work as my cardio. Blazed right through with no problems. Love that workout. It exemplifies integrity and fun rolled into one.

Tomorrow will be another low carb day. Supposed to go out to dinner tomorrow night, so I'll go easy on carbs until dinner time. Will keep it very low, and also to make room for my ritual Friday wine.

TOTALS:

CALS: 1661

PROT.....199 GR......48%
CARBS.....46 GR.......9%
FIBER......15 GR
FAT..........80 GR.....42%

WORKOUTS:

Biceps, 23 mins, a.m., circuited with cardio and pushups during rests
Ab Jam, 18 mins
Turbo Jam w/weighted gloves; 35 mins

[/COLOR]
Old 03-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #1276
Major LCF Poster!

Twyla,

You are doing so well. Your clothes are proof. Would you beat yourself up if the scale was up Saturday? You know it would only be water weight or added muscle weight. Muscle weighs more than fat.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #1277
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
We're planning a Disney trip in June, on the front end of the annual Marco Island trip.

Counting the days till vacay....I fully intend to be at MY VERY BEST by then. Can't wait!
I've never been to Florida. Do you guys go every year for your family recharge time? That is soooo cool. Pupcake put me in charge of planning a trip for us after tax season. I wasn't sure we should have a trip this year, but we didn't go last year (Pupcake was sick with a later diagnosed ulcer) so he really wants to go. Has given me a budget with the only criteria being warm, beach, and sand.

Last edited by DaisyGG; 03-27-2009 at 06:53 AM..
Old 03-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #1278

Yes, Daisy, every year since 1987. It feels like home to us there, been going for so many years. We vacation with the same families that began vacationing there as many years ago as we did, and the children have somewhat grown up together. So it's like seeing our "other" family when we vacation.

I'm with Pupcake -- sand, warm, beach. CHECK!

When people ask the question: Where would you rather be right now? My answer is always: Watching a sunset.

And you can't beat Gulf sunsets!

Hope you guys get much-needed time away.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #1279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
That is doubly cool that you guys are hanging with the same people since the very beginning - 1987. Many of my most important friends are the ones I've known forever.
?.,mnb vc

`

:edited to add:

aaaaah! Calvin places his arse on my keyboard all the time! He posted this!

As I was saying - Your fam is a nice family Miss Twyla. I really like your centered and calm self. I can tell in your postings that while you are working on your body's health, you're mental health is really benefiting as well. All in your plan I'm certain of it!

Last edited by DaisyGG; 03-27-2009 at 08:22 AM..
Old 03-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #1280
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
Ohhh T - thats just sounds heavenly. Its funny cos if someone asks me where I would rather be I've always said, somewhere warm watching the sunset in the horizon across the sea! Its just amazing.

Just popped by to say thanks for the message and help. Your support and advice are invaluable to me always. You have a knack to make me feel like all is not lost, even tho sometimes I feel like it is.

Have a fab Friday and a great weekend.
Much Much Love
G x
Old 03-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #1281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardolowcarbo View Post
Twyla,

You are doing so well. Your clothes are proof. Would you beat yourself up if the scale was up Saturday? You know it would only be water weight or added muscle weight. Muscle weighs more than fat.

HECK NO, I'M NOT GONNA BEAT MYSELF UP! AMEN????

Old 03-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #1282

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post
That is doubly cool that you guys are hanging with the same people since the very beginning - 1987. Many of my most important friends are the ones I've known forever.
?.,mnb vc

`

:edited to add:

aaaaah! Calvin places his arse on my keyboard all the time! He posted this!

As I was saying - Your fam is a nice family Miss Twyla. I really like your centered and calm self. I can tell in your postings that while you are working on your body's health, you're mental health is really benefiting as well. All in your plan I'm certain of it!
Yes, Daisy, when I make friends, I like to think I've made them for keeps -- FOR LIFE. Friends are a part of my very soul. Blessings indeed.

And as for my calm self???? You've never seen me driving to work in the mornings....I have to take very deep breaths to pace my tensions!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamour P! View Post
Just popped by to say thanks for the message and help. Your support and advice are invaluable to me always. You have a knack to make me feel like all is not lost, even tho sometimes I feel like it is.

G x

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Marco Island, Gulf of Mexico[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]You're so very welcome, G.
Have a great weekend.[/COLOR]
Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #1284

[COLOR="Sienna"]FRIDAY MARCH 27

Sitting here having a glass of wine, listening to Sade, and welcoming the weekend. It doesn't get a whole lot better than this.

UNWIND INDEED.

Sooooooooo, gonna update to the extent that I can. I haven't had dinner yet, and I'm going out to an Asian restaurant... What the heck will I order???? Is it safe in here?????? We'll see. (wasn't my choice)

But to this point I've had about 900 cals for the day, and about 46 carbs, 17 fiber. Not hungry. Feel good. Energy stable.

I'll update tomorrow morning as best I can.

WORKOUTS TODAY:

1 Hour of Super Callanetics a.m.
20 mins HIIT on the elliptical, 14 intervals (30/30)

[/COLOR]
Old 03-28-2009, 03:07 AM   #1285
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like a great night. I have to take out one of my spanish reds as a reward. Hope you had a great dinner.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #1286

Hey, Rich. Dinner was delicious, and it was likely very harmless carb wise. It was a very light/mild sauce, not at ALL sweet, with steamed veggies and steamed seafood -- shrimp, scallops and lobster. So I think it was safe for the LC day.

Today is my carb up and I'm FIRED up. Bring on those babies! I'm ready to incinerate, break out a sweat with total body and cardio.

Weighed today, first time in 2 wks. Up one pound from lowest weight. Not worried about it. It has nothing whatsoever to do with lack of progress. In fact, I'm almost pleased, considering how many days I ate over my targets and at maintenance levels
(and beyond) in the past week.

I am on plan, progress is steady, and life is good. Onward.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #1287
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: btinc
Sweet, attitude and proper planning is all anyone needs. You go girl.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #1288

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Sweet, attitude and proper planning is all anyone needs. You go girl.[/COLOR]

Put in an awesome weight training workout this morning. Gave it all I had. Alternated between upper and lower body for about 1 hr and 20 minutes.

It's 3:34 p.m., I've had about 260 carbs () and I'm now gonna go do some running intervals. I've kept all carbs clean/quality today -- on purpose. I feel so controlled and on target.

Looking forward to kickback time later tonight.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #1289

[COLOR="Sienna"]
SAT MAR 27

Today turned out to be a great day. Although it started out rainy, the skies cleared this afternoon in time for my run. Perfect weather for it, partly cloudy, cooler. Being the furnace that I am, I only made it one lap around the neighborhood before having to remove my t-shirt, running in my tank and warmup pants. Everyone I saw had on long sleeves and/or jackets, and there I am in a tank top, sweat pouring down my face.

And approaching the last few steps of the last interval, the words of the song rang true:
"Just breathe...." The exhaustion felt wonderful.

Muscle group of the day: triceps. Hit em hard.

Angel food cake was my dessert at dinner. I'd been waiting for that!
All other carbs: rice, cereal, w/wh flax bread, fruit, go lean waffle, handful of pretzel crisps, veggies -- and a box of [COLOR="Blue"]CRACKER JACKS[/COLOR] before my run. I'd been waiting on that too.

I was trying to hit all my targets today, and I fell a little short on protein, but all in all it was a bullseye shot, so I'm pleased. Gonna nose dive to low carb tomorrow. Anxious to see how my energy holds out tomorrow. Tomorrow will be all cardio.

Squeezed in a wonderful nap after dinner.

TOTALS:

2074 CALS

PROT.....164 GR....32%
CARBS...308 GR....56%
FIBER......31 GR
FAT.........26 GR.....11%

WORKOUTS:

1 HR 20 MINS UB AND LB STRENGTH TRAINING
40 MINS RUNNING INTERVALS, 24 INT, 45/30
8 MINS ABS
PLANKS
[/COLOR]

Old 03-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #1290
Major LCF Poster!

Twyla,

I love reading you describing your workouts. eg. "the exhaustion felt wonderful" I am there with you. Whatever the body does after an intense workout feels wonderful. you had an intense lifting workout the other day. Any DOMS? LOL. I just like using that acronym now that I know what it means. Every time I read what your workouts are and the length of them I say to myself, Wow. You are like a real life Nike Commercial. I also get great ideas from your posts. I am now looking for detour bars. I am so benefiting from your journey and your perspective. Thanks.

Have a great Sunday!
Closed Thread