Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #841
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Hey T, your new plan sounds solid.

Here's something btinc told me when I was considering Carb Cycling:

"Well there is really no difference between 30grams of carbs versus 20, you will be depleted on either end. What people don't understand there is no magic of this 20 grams of carbs or less, Keto starts for most at below a 100 grams, you just don't excrete excess ketones in your urine, but that does not mean you’re not in ketosis. Now I do understand that this can get complicated with the different days, that’s why in an article I wrote that, if you're not a body builder, a simple high/low is all you would need, one day at about 50, the next day at 100, and that’s it, with a super high day on your pizza day."

So I'm wondering if you might want to incorporate a weekly super high day in amongst your 40/100 rotations?

And I'm curious, what about "High carbs" on a frequent and rotating basis doesn't appear to be working as well? Speak woman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
[COLOR="Sienna"]
"High carbs" on a frequent and rotating basis don't appear to be working as well.

I am considering going back to low/moderate carbs for most of the week, with two days of mod/high carbs, fashioned in a cycle. I don't want to go under 40 NET carbs for my low, and I don't want to go over 100 NET carbs for my higher days.

Controlling my calories has to factor into this as well. I am going to shoot for 75-90 grams of fat per day on average to find balance/satiety to control my appetite; on higher carb days, it may be a little less. I want to try to keep fiber at no less than 25 gr per day.

Calorie ranges between 1450-1850, with one day a week at maintenance level if needed.

[/COLOR]

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #842
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Quote:
[COLOR="Sienna"]THURS AUG 21

Today has been the mod/high carb day. My new target for mod/high days that I'm trying on for size is to keep carbs at no more than 100 net, and I nailed it today. BULLSEYE.

I am back on track mentally. I know what to do, and I will keep my eye on the ball this time. The mirror is my friend today.
[/COLOR]

Old 08-22-2008, 02:36 AM   #843
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
[COLOR="Magenta"]
So I'm wondering if you might want to incorporate a weekly super high day in amongst your 40/100 rotations?

And I'm curious, what about "High carbs" on a frequent and rotating basis doesn't appear to be working as well? Speak woman!
[/COLOR]

To be honest, I have no concrete answers/theories right now.

I'm still trying to figure out what's the best plan for me at this point. Your questions are valid.

The only thing I can speculate is my insulin sensitivity????? Not sure. When I'm depleted all week leading up to high carbs, no issues. But including them throughout the week, even moderately, and then throwing in high days among the low/moderate, it seemed more difficult to control calories/hunger.

And I base this "failure" or "perceived failure" totally on the higher number I saw on the scales last week. So God only knows why that happened....it could be one of many reasons, and I might be quick to blame it on the higher rotations because....well....I want to blame it on SOMETHING.

I don't know. I truly don't know.

But I think you're right, that ONE higher day may be in order, so I just have to figure out when and how often.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #844
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PamF
Twyla:

I just wanted to keep you updated on my second week of refeeding. My first week I lost a net of 4 pounds (I actually lost 8, because I had put on 4 pounds of water weight after my refeed, and then I lost that, plus 4 more). During that week, I had amazing amounts of energy and was flabergasted about the fact that I was never hungry in between meals.

My second week, I put on 3.5 pounds right after my refeeed, and I have now lost that 3.5 pounds, plus 2 more pounds, which puts me up just one pound from my low last week. I am happy with this, mainly because I did eat an unexpected meal out yesterday which was low carb, but high sodium, so I'm probably retaining some water.

I did not have as much energy this second week as I did the first week, but, I did have the same no hunger in between meals. This, for me, is wonderful. I also get to look forward to eating higher carbs every Saturday.

I am going to continue this refeed regimen for another 4 weeks, and then see if I am happy with how things are going. I will keep you updated!!

Pam
Old 08-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #845

Pam, what a HUGE success story! That's great that you're doing so well with this strategy. I loved it too, for all the same reasons.

As for energy levels being a bit lower, is that towards the end of the week leading up to refeed, or is it all week?

How many carbs are you eating per day? Just curious.

Make sure you get adequate rest, time your carbs around workouts, and if your energy gets too low, throw in a few extra carbs mid week.

I hope this pattern continues for you. I appreciate your willingness to share your progress with me.

Have a great weekend.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #846
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: kelley17
Stats: 175/160/125
WOE: Finding My Way
Start Date: 5/5/10
Hey Twyla,

Love your new Avatar - you truly are amazing. Just checking in for my daily inspiration and thought I'd say Hi and let you know I've been sending some people over to check out your thread and get some valuable info from you. I'm currently doing Wendy Chant's Crack the Fat Loss Code and loving it. It is carb cycling and I'm having some success lost 12 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks.

I'm just finding some of my fellow crackers are so afraid to eat and then are hungry and stall so I have to tell them to check out your journal. I tell them wait till you see Twyla she looks amazing and eats! You have to eat to lose. Have a great one and hope you don't mind me sending people over to visit, but you are one of the people I find most inspiring on this board.
C25K Graduate and Now restart April 2012 W1D3 done
my weightloss journeyDoing it for myself and my family
Old 08-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #847

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley17 View Post
Hey Twyla,

Love your new Avatar - you truly are amazing. Just checking in for my daily inspiration and thought I'd say Hi and let you know I've been sending some people over to check out your thread and get some valuable info from you. I'm currently doing Wendy Chant's Crack the Fat Loss Code and loving it. It is carb cycling and I'm having some success lost 12 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks.

I'm just finding some of my fellow crackers are so afraid to eat and then are hungry and stall so I have to tell them to check out your journal. I tell them wait till you see Twyla she looks amazing and eats! You have to eat to lose. Have a great one and hope you don't mind me sending people over to visit, but you are one of the people I find most inspiring on this board.
Kelley, that is FANTASTIC! 12 LBS IN 3.5 WEEKS.

Girrrrrrl! You just go ahead!

Thanks SO MUCH for these kind words of encouragement and inspiration! I need to read your thread....I don't know anything about what you guys are doing....I need to be informed!

Send them over....the more the merrier! Gotta love it!

Have a great weekened.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #848

[COLOR="Sienna"]FRI AUG 22

What a difference a week makes! And to think! If I'd not gotten on those BLASTED scales last Friday, I probably would not have had my crap-carb-pity-party on Saturday of last week....and who knows, might have been further along, but then....who knows.....maybe not.....hindsight is worthless in any event.

Today is the day that matters.

And I have done well on my carb & calorie targets today, even with my wine indulgences (HB.....IT IS DIVINE! ) so even if I end up having another glass tonight, I'm pretty much where I need to be today. Friday is the ONE day I allow myself to have my beloved Pinot Noir. I work daggone hard, and I'm having it.

Felt leaner today, pants that I wore last Friday and again today were not as snug! Was itching for an UB workout after work, but duty of a mom calls and time was short....so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Anyhoooooo....here are today's totals. Onward.

CALS 1756

PROT......168 GR......39%
CARBS......66 GR.....14%
FIBER.......15 GR...(OOPS - FELL SHORT)
FAT..........67 GR......34%
ALCOHOL..34 GR......13%

WORKOUTS:

1 Hour Super Callanetics
3 sets plie squats (10 lbs)
3 sets 40 pushups
12 mins elliptical cardio (HIIT intervals)
[/COLOR]
Old 08-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #849
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: kelley17
Stats: 175/160/125
WOE: Finding My Way
Start Date: 5/5/10
Quote:
Kelley, that is FANTASTIC! 12 LBS IN 3.5 WEEKS.

Girrrrrrl! You just go ahead!

Thanks SO MUCH for these kind words of encouragement and inspiration! I need to read your thread....I don't know anything about what you guys are doing....I need to be informed!

Send them over....the more the merrier! Gotta love it!

Have a great weekened.

Thanks I'm slowly making my way back to pre-baby weight! I really love this carb cycling and like you said we work so hard we deserve to have a glass or two of wine on the weekends.

Wendy is an ex-body builder so I think she knows her stuff. Things just started clicking when I read about the program on this board and then got the book. You have a great one too. Tomorrow is Carb Up day so I get my wine!
Old 08-23-2008, 06:17 AM   #850

Kelley, I am interested in reading the book. I'll check out the thread/references.

[COLOR="Sienna"]SAT AUG 23

Getting ready to begin my weight training workouts this morning...looking forward to it. Love the high it gives. I've had coffee and some protein/good carbs. Feel good and energy is apparent.

Feeling good soreness in my glutes this morning (from Callanetics yesterday).

Gonna up carbs a bit higher today, since it's Saturday, my workouts are more intense, and I can afford to. Then back to the 2-day rotations for tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Checked my BF this morning for the first time in a few weeks. Checked three places, three different times, then avg'd the readings. It's saying 13.8, if I add 1.5 to the reading. I am adding 1.5 because when I had it measured at the Y this spring, the trainer's reading was about 1.3 to 1.5 higher than the reading/measurement of my calipers at home, where I had just measured before going to the Y. So going with 13.8 is factoring in the variances between my calipers/measurement and his.

I am anxious to go back to him again for good measure .... LOL -- play on words!

The ironic thing is, I clearly see places on my body that are the TROUBLESOME spots, the areas where I need the most help for removing body fat: Upper/middle thighs, the area near the inner knee, and the lower part of my triceps, just above the elbow. Everything else I'm happy with. I was hoping that upping my cardio with the running will prove helpful with that, plus I want to try to research specific training techniques for those areas that need more attention.

What a project I am. An ongoing project.

Off to pump iron.

[/COLOR]
Old 08-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #851

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
OMG you are a lean mean fighting machine!!! Wow great work Twyla. I am still in staypuff marshmallow girl mode. Man you are ready for bikini pics woman!
Old 08-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #852

This pic shows my recent "faux" Old World attempt in the bathroom, complete with cracks, etc. Very fun project -- painting, my other passion.

It is 4:35 p.m., and I'm making homemade spaghetti sauce from fresh garden tomatoes....it's been a while, taking longer than I thought. I'm rusty.

Carbs so far to this point today: 109 gross (29 fiber). Will keep carbs the rest of the day mostly fibrous. I won't eat pasta, just the sauce/meat over a bed of lettuce or spinach. So I'll end up with around 150 carbs, more or less by end of day. Schedule to run later tonight.

The next 2 days will be low carb (50 ish range).

Great workouts today.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-23-2008 at 01:39 PM..
Old 08-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #853
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mmam5
Stats: 150/132 Healthy, 5'4" 45
WOE: UnProcessed please :)
Hey Twyla ... WOWOWOWOW Loook at you grrrl!!! LOVE that avi picture and of course the wall looks nice too!

And yes - Our bodies tend to be on-going Science Projects
Old 08-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
OMG you are a lean mean fighting machine!!! Wow great work Twyla. I am still in staypuff marshmallow girl mode. Man you are ready for bikini pics woman!

[COLOR="Olive"]Thank you, Lisa![/COLOR]
Old 08-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #855

[COLOR="Sienna"]SAT AUG 23

MERCY, AM I EVER FIRED UP!

WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!

Cut/pasting from my C25K Challenge:

Quote:
[COLOR="olive"]"Guessssssssssssss what?

I ran my first 20 solid minutes tonight!

I began with 6 mins walk (I was singing to myself with my MP3 player and lost track of time), then began running.

Planned to run 5 mins, then recover for 3, run for 10-15, however long I could go, and then wing the rest of it.

I began running and at 10, then 12, then 13, then 16.....SHE'S STILL GOING, FOLKS!!!!!!!!!

I probably could have run beyond 20, but I recovered for the next 3 minutes, then ran another 6 minutes, then recovered the rest of the time with brisk walk, for a total of 39 minutes.

I'M PUMPED, PEOPLE!!!!!!"[/COLOR]

I was beginning to think I'd never make the leap from 10 mins to 20 mins....but I did it tonight, baby! Oh, yeah, oh, yeah

Progress is manifested in a myriad of ways, I've learned this week! Once again, it's not just a scale number, it's getting stronger, healthier, leaner, wiser, and unstoppable!

So sweeeeeeeeeet!

Hunger was so very controlled today! And after all of that working out! Incredible

TOTALS:

CALS 1560

PROTE.......127 GR......32%
CARBS........146 GR....32%
FIBER..........34 GR
FAT.............46 GR......26%
ALCOHOL.....19 GR........9%

WORKOUTS a.m.

35 mins LB weights
37 mins UB weights
Power90 AbRipper 200
20 mins cardio elliptical

WORKOUTS p.m.

39 MINS C25K cardio (running intervals)

"......And you can't do a thing,
to stop me.
(Can't do a thing to stop me now)
No you can't do a thing, to stop me.
(Can't do a thing to stop me now)
Oh try.........."

Chris Isaacs

[/COLOR]
Old 08-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #856

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmam5 View Post
Hey Twyla ... WOWOWOWOW Loook at you grrrl!!! LOVE that avi picture and of course the wall looks nice too!

And yes - Our bodies tend to be on-going Science Projects
Marci! Thank you. Where have you been? I rarely see ya 'round much????
Old 08-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #857
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pixiegirl01
Stats: 155/122(134)/119 - 5'2" (43YO)
WOE: Low Carb Babyyyyyyy!
Start Date: 04/17/2006
Twyla I mostly just lurk on the boards these days (too busy to post much and notice that I can tend to get caught up in the "fad of the week" - whatever it may be ) ...

buuuuuuut, I just had to drop by when I saw your new avi girl. You are looking fantastic!!! Seeing you, you can see one thing for certain that works - eating right and exercising! Who knew?! lolol

Truly though, you are SHINING!

Last edited by pixiegirl01; 08-24-2008 at 12:04 PM..
Old 08-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #858
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Quote:
[COLOR="Sienna"]Progress is manifested in a myriad of ways, I've learned this week!
[COLOR="Red"]Once again, it's not just a scale number, [/COLOR]
it's getting stronger, healthier, leaner, wiser, and unstoppable![/COLOR]

A picture is worth a thousand words.
No reason to ever let any number on a scale drive you to a crap carb pity party.
[COLOR="Red"]Once again, it's not just a scale number! [/COLOR]

Last edited by hummingbird11; 08-24-2008 at 01:25 PM..
Old 08-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #859
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mmam5
Stats: 150/132 Healthy, 5'4" 45
WOE: UnProcessed please :)
work work and more work .. plus I've been hanging over on another forum ... less dieting, more lifting I've never been very good at LC or at least LC under 100g!

But as always - balance in everything! We're finishing up summer by working on our running ... maybe even doing a half-marathon end of Sept!
Old 08-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiegirl01 View Post
Twyla .....

Truly though, you are SHINING!

ANGIE, Thank you! Makes my day. And I LOVE YOUR avi! Gorgeous lady! How is newly wed life???

Do you still do Callanetics?

I have missed you sooooo much. I think about you from time to time and wonder why I DON'T see/hear from ya.

Please don't be a stranger....I'm gonna hunt ya down from now on!

Old 08-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmam5 View Post
work work and more work .. plus I've been hanging over on another forum ... less dieting, more lifting I've never been very good at LC or at least LC under 100g!

But as always - balance in everything! We're finishing up summer by working on our running ... maybe even doing a half-marathon end of Sept!

Okay. I'm officially intimidated. But in a healthy way!

BTW, have you heard, I'm a baby runner now? Marathons? Not likely. But it's a start, right?

Keep up the great work in the weight room...you've always had the nutrition part sewn up! Good job!
Old 08-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #862

HB, you are keeping my head on straight with your constant source of encouragement...I appreciate you...so very much!

Perspective is key. Great reminder!

I had to go to the mall today to get something for my son, and of course, I had to do a little selfish shopping too. Found some GREAT SEXY jeans....fell in LUVVVVVVVV...and they're Size 6! Price was almost irrelevant! I loved them THAT much! A bit more than I wanted to pay, but they were worth every penny.

So rewarding.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #863

[COLOR="Sienna"]SUN AUG 24

Rather busy day....a bunch of things I needed to get done. Church first thing this morning. Took an hour-long nap afterward...Oldest son back at college as of this afternoon. Shopping for middle son. Shopping for me. And I haven't worked out, and not sure I will get to, but if I do, it will likely be 20 mins HIIT if it I squeeze it in. Few more things to do.

TOTALS:

CALS 1664

PROT......126 GR.....31%
CARBS......57 GR.....12%
FIBER.......19 GR
FAT..........102 GR......54%

[/COLOR]
Old 08-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #864
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PamF
Quote:
Pam, what a HUGE success story! That's great that you're doing so well with this strategy. I loved it too, for all the same reasons.

As for energy levels being a bit lower, is that towards the end of the week leading up to refeed, or is it all week?

How many carbs are you eating per day? Just curious.

Make sure you get adequate rest, time your carbs around workouts, and if your energy gets too low, throw in a few extra carbs mid week.

I hope this pattern continues for you. I appreciate your willingness to share your progress with me.

Have a great weekend.

Twyla:

Thanks for your reply. As for my energy levels, I still had good energy, just not the same going 100 miles an hour energy as after my first refeed. I do notice that I don't have near as much energy during my depletion workout, but I think that's the way it is supposed to be if I remember correctly.

I have been doing Monday thru Friday and Sunday low carbs, keeping them to under 20, and calories between 1700-1900. Then, Saturday is my refeed day, and I eat low fat carbs throughout the day. I really don't keep track of my cal/carbs during my refeed, just eating until full, but not stuffed. I really enjoy being able to eat foods on this day that I haven't eaten in years.

This Saturday was my 3rd refeed, and as usual, I am up 3 pounds today. We will see how this week goes.

Also, just so you know, your new pictures look amazing. I would be tickled if I look as fit and toned as you do.

Pam
Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #865
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: DiSa
Stats: 193/190/160
WOE: LC - 90 Day Blitz Challenge
Start Date: 6/28/2010
Great information in your journal, thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your success.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #866

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamF View Post
Twyla:

Thanks for your reply. As for my energy levels, I still had good energy, just not the same going 100 miles an hour energy as after my first refeed. I do notice that I don't have near as much energy during my depletion workout, but I think that's the way it is supposed to be if I remember correctly.

I have been doing Monday thru Friday and Sunday low carbs, keeping them to under 20, and calories between 1700-1900. Then, Saturday is my refeed day, and I eat low fat carbs throughout the day. I really don't keep track of my cal/carbs during my refeed, just eating until full, but not stuffed. I really enjoy being able to eat foods on this day that I haven't eaten in years.

This Saturday was my 3rd refeed, and as usual, I am up 3 pounds today. We will see how this week goes.

Also, just so you know, your new pictures look amazing. I would be tickled if I look as fit and toned as you do.

Pam
Pam, I ate around 30ish during the week. No problems. You could always throw in a few extra if you think it would help with energy.

And as for that freedom to eat on that one day things we don't normally get to eat -- just eating something DIFFERENT, but good -- yes, I agree soooo worth it!

Can't wait to hear back on your next refeed.

(And thanks for the comments re my pic)
Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #867

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSa View Post
Great information in your journal, thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your success.
DiSa,

Glad you've found encouragement here. Validates my journal, knowing you have benefitted in SOME way, however big or small.

By the way, that "battle" you referred to? It's also known as "life." It's easier to face our hurdles when we know that we do it one breath, one step, one day at a time.

Every day will be a milestone for you in some form or another. Rejoice in it and keep looking ahead, not back.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #868
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lildragonfly
You look great Twyla. Those arms are rocking.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #869
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Holy Crapinoli Twyla. Those pipes are amazingly awesome.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #870

[COLOR="Orange"]Thank
you
very
much
Marsha & Daisy!

[/COLOR]
Closed Thread